Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Lupe & Ashley D

• Start Topic

I flew through this episode very quickly.  Thanks for filling in details.  

Make up is the only thing Lupe can buy/use because shoes and clothes are not possible so I get why she goes crazy with it.  No way in hell will she will remain separated from her husband.  Thanks to the poster who saw she was on his FB page.  He will push until he gets back in the fold (pun intended).  

The mental skew and ignorance with all of these people no longer stuns me.  You cannot weigh this much and have a shred of mental health.   

I missed this.  What was Dr Now's reaction to Lupe's incision being opened as a result of sex?  Or was that the end and we have to wait for a follow up show?  

Amazing that Ashley's husband does not see he is as heavy as she is now!  

I will continue to go back and read more.  I am sure I missed a lot.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SPLAIN said:

I see their relationship as co-dependent. They are both in an unhealthy place in so many ways. Two dysfunctional beings for sure. It is also a DV relationship.

I saw Gilbert as being an abuser the first time he was shown on this show. DV isn't always obvious. It was subtle. Here is a guy who doesn't work and was content with Lupe being overweight and taking care of her needs. It was how he could control her and make her feel dependent upon him. The manipulation and guilt trips he laid upon her was part of his abuse. Once she started to lose the weight, he knew he was not able to control her. He may have had suspicions and paranoia of losing her as she began to lose her weight.  As he sees her developing some self-worth, he turns to alcohol to deal with the feelings he is experiencing. I have no doubt Gilbert was a drinker before appearing on this show. I believe it has intensified due to his insecurities and his feelings that he is losing his control over Lupe. As we watched Lupe rising as she began losing weight, walking a lot more, feeling great about herself, we watched Gilbert taking a nose dive. He sought comfort in his alcohol.

I don't think it was at all unusual that any drinking problem Gilbert has was not mentioned previously. Lupe didn't mention DV prior to last night's episode either. I see a co-dependent and DV relationship where some things were just not discussed or brought up.  The cheating seemed to be something that truly bothered Lupe and it makes sense why that was mentioned on the air. It was quite sad, but not unusual, that it took him to cheat on her again for her to leave the home instead of leaving him due to the drinking and the domestic violence.

As for Gilbert wanting a baby, IMO it was part of Gilbert's plan to control Lupe. He can no longer control her because of the weight loss, but to ensure she doesn't go anywhere, impregnating her will not only cause her to gain weight, but having a baby will surely keep her tied to him forever unlike that piece of paper called a marriage certificate which can be discarded once she files for divorce.

ETA: I forgot to add, the whole sex after surgery scene was just...I can't find the words. There aren't enough words to describe how I felt as I heard Lupe mention it and I then saw her ripped belly. My god, what a sick fuck Gilbert is. He is a low-life POS abuser. He has something going on mentally and just out of curiosity, I'd love to know what his background life was about. It doesn't excuse him, mind you. This whole thing about sex, needing sex, seeking sex and affection constantly on top of his abusive ways, forcing sex on his wife who just had major surgery. I just can't get the image out of my head!! It is horrible. Lupe is not right in the head either if she thinks he only has a drinking problem and once he stops drinking all will be fine.

I agree with everything you said, and did we all happen to also notice that Gilbert looks to have gained quite a bit of weight since the last appearance? I bet you he was doing his best to sabotage her weight loss. I had zero hope for Lupe, but was glad she proved me a bit wrong in the end by having the spine to leave that guy, and also finally..to get up like we always knew she could. They manipulate in their own ways. Hers was to be as intentionally helpless as possible. Yes, I know she has a hip problem, but at her heaviest, just as now..she was always able to stand with the walker and at least take a few steps. She went a long, long period of even refusing to do that much when Gilbert's eyes were roaming yet again.

It bothers me that she's not as upset over him bursting her stitches by having sex with her right after surgery as she is about him talking to other women.

Honestly, that was a disgusting, selfish, dangerous thing he did to her (and she suffered for it) To me, that would be the bigger reason to get the Hell away from the guy. I worry her priorities are still off, and leaving was more to 'scare him' than  a lasting decision. We all know couples like this go back and forth  a lot before they finally end the relationship.

Let us hope..there will be no babies til then.

• Love 5

When Lupe went back to the hospital due to busted stitches? Dr. Now took one look at her incision cite and rushed her immediately into surgery.

I for one don't believe Lupe will go back. Why?
She left in the middle of the night. He woke up and she was gone gone gone.

If she was "game playing" or not really seriously serious about leaving him she would've done it with him right there, begging, crying, cursing, etc. but she didn't. She just ghosted away. That tells me she's serious.

One of my friends put up with much the same thing - only she wasn't obese or ill - from her husband.

One day, she just...drove to the airport, left the car in the parking structure, got on a plane and went home.

And that was the end of that marriage.

I don't think Lupe's going back. She looked so RELAXED in that last scene. You could almost see who she used to be before her life fell apart. Lupe's story gave me hope that this show wasn't going down the toilet after all.

• Love 13

They must have promised Gilbert to put at least 10 quotes in the show about what a sex machine he is.  It was disgusting. He has gone downhill as well and he was already near the bottom. Fat and drunk through the whole episode.

Chalupe did herself a big disservice by letting so much sex stuff come up. I personally would rather see her break a toilet or hide a taco. I don't watch the show to hear about their sex lives.

I hope Dr Now cuts off Chalupe's turkey gizzard neck next..ugh..

• Love 10
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I missed this.  What was Dr Now's reaction to Lupe's incision being opened as a result of sex?  Or was that the end and we have to wait for a follow up show?  

They never showed her in the hospital. It showed her recovering back home and she said that when Dr Now saw her stitches he rushed her right into surgery.  I know before the ambulance came Gilbert was nagging her not to reveal how her sutures ripped and she was like ok, ok. I wonder if she never told the Dr? Surely the crew would have but who knows. 

Gilbert is the worse type of abuser - he created and perpetuated a situation where his victim physically depended on him for everything and then because of that he manipulated and guilted Lupe into tolerating his abusive, cheating behavior.

Ugh, talk about a "perfect storm of dysfunction."

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

I'd guess it's just because they want to be a father.  I don't like kids but my brothers couldn't wait to get their wives pregnant.

I think some men (not the type who want actual families) just see it as a badge of masculinity. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that I'm really different from most of the patients on the show like Ashley.  I guess her personality is just very passive, but looking at the family members around her, who was VERY OBESE, it really boggles the mind.  I think that I would be quite vocal about how THEIR health was suffering too and in fact, I've known people who got surgery, who were no larger than they are.

Her husband and that lady, was that her mom?  Very dangerous looking.  I missed some early portions.  This would be the perfect time to instill good nutrition for the entire family.  It's just whack-a-doodle to me why they think that the kids should eat garbage, develop poor eating habits, become obese and suffer like them......I suppose I'll never understand it.  Maybe, one day there'll be laws about it.  Years ago, you didn't have to put children in a safety seat in the car.  It took awhile, but, the law finally addressed it.  

OT, but what I've read about Mama June and her daughters comes to mind here.

I do think Ashley is passive, and I'm guessing she was happy to marry anyone who asked.  I hope her husband will finally get on board with keeping his wife & son healthy, and will realize that he needs to lose weight, if nothing else, to take care of his family.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, simba barracuda said:

Also, going to need to book passage in the handbasket (and want to upgrade to the gas-soaked drawers level) b/c when I typed in "Lupita" autocorrect kept spelling her name as "Lusitania" and it took all my strength to not keep it that way?

Ha!

• Love 2

I hope Lupe is safe.  When she said that things how gotten physical......that's all I need to hear.  There are too many murders in domestic situations.  It's unreal how bad it is.  If you stay in it, you are taking a big risk.  It seems there are way too many murder suicides.  You need professional help to get out safely and advice on how to stay safe.  I wouldn't even go into another person's house who is having domestic disputes.  It's just too dangerous.  

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Quoting my own photo here, look how teeny tiny those short skinny fingers are.  Bahaha, Gilbert has a little Gilberto.

I thought the same thing. His fingers are TINY. Dear lord. 

When he said "I'm a man, I have needs," re: busting his wife's stitches with sex, my jaw dropped and stayed there for a good few minutes. What an unbelievable shithead. We get it, dude, you're horny. Most so-called "men" don't act and talk like you past the age of 15. Thank god they didn't have a baby, I can only imagine the shit he would do in front of that child. (Note: I'm not saying he'd do it TO the child, but you think Gilbert would have a problem with banging his wife in front of their toddler? Cuz I don't.)

• Love 11

I've never trained in the medical field, but Ashley's moon face made me think of my late MIL.  She was on medication that caused that, plus she gained 30 pounds.  She was still not morbidly obese, but I remember her being terribly unhappy with the side affects.

So I wonder if that might have contributed to Ashley's strange look?  Just a guess.

Lupe uploaded this picture on March 25, so I suppose they're back together again.

IMG_4617.JPG

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I've never trained in the medical field, but Ashley's moon face made me think of my late MIL.  She was on medication that caused that, plus she gained 30 pounds.  She was still not morbidly obese, but I remember her being terribly unhappy with the side affects.

So I wonder if that might have contributed to Ashley's strange look?  Just a guess.

I don't think Ashley was on prednisone or other medication that causes a round face. Every single persons body distributes its fat differently. Sadly hers accumulated around her face too.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Diamond Dog said:

Gilbert is a douchebag. Every time, he came with a present, he was screwing around on Lupe.  Damn  him, and his 'needs' .  His wife gets cut from stem to stern, and he wants to bone? Get a box of Kleenex, and some lotion, and do some self-love, Douchebert.  Lupe got a lot done this episode. Husband removed, along with some belly skin. I hope she gets that weird chin skin thing fixed. It looked like a set of balls growing under her face. 

I felt badly for Ashley. It doesn't appear she has much support within the family. They appeared to be there, but kind of meh about it all. She's really going to have to keep up with the therapy, and make some big decisions down the road. If her husband isn't interested in joining her goal to eat more healthy then that will be as difficult as a recovering alcoholic trying to stay married to another alcoholic. Long term it isn't going to work.

Also, Ashley's husband looks like a cast member from Hee Haw.  

976ec691ff9bd411d11566eb96a1a997.jpg

Actually Diamond Dog Ashley's husband looks the size of all of those cast members put together, minus the dog!

• Love 6
19 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Lupe's hip and femur fused when she was in a coma.  That also created the divide in her double chin. There is a large scar from the breathing tube.  She has a lot of physical issues still to deal with. 

Yes, PrincessPurrsALot, I remember she was in a coma for a long time. Was it from a stroke caused by her diabetes?

I also remember that she said they had to cut her neck for a tracheotomy because there was too much fat to get a feeding tube down her throat. That was a first for me. Makes me wonder how it was she could eat so much without choking.

Like a lot of the addicts featured on the show Intervention, even something as awful as a stroke, a lengthy coma, and being bed bound at a young age was not enough for her at that time to reach her bottom of food addiction enough to say "That's it, I need help now!" Amazing and very sad.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

@Armchair Critic its funny that you mentioned Noosa yogurt in the live thread.  I learned about it from this show too!   Halo ice-cream is another treat for me

Great minds think alike because I also have discovered Halo ice cream and love it.

23 hours ago, DeeReynolds said:

Unpopular opinion, but I was kind of taken aback when Lupe was whining in a voiceover about how Gilbert isn't there for her and when is it going to be about me? Umm... hasn't Gilbert spent 9+ years bringing you copious amounts of tacos and wiping your butt? I think it's been about you for a very long time my dear. Not to defend what a piece of shit Gilbert is though in general.

Oh I agree with you. She met him when she was already morbidly obese and said she wanted somebody to take care of her... Let's be realistic here, maybe she is a nice person but any man who would be interested in her and willing to wipe her butt and still be attracted to her is going to be a bit off in some way (not saying she deserved to be cheated on).  I am mobile, semi attractive and have a scintillating personality (LMAO!) and though I think my long term boyfriend is pretty great I still think sometimes "Why do I put up with his shit?". ;) Good luck finding that perfect man.

NOTYRMOMMA said it better on another thread:

Are any of these guys really considered "a catch?"  I bet if one of these dudes went after you, you'd run the other way.  No offense, hugely obese people generally don't get the upper-middle class professional men.  Heck, regular obese women usually don't get these types either.  Wait - come to think of it, are there any single upper-middle class professional men (heterosexual for us ladies) left for anyone?

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

That's a really cynical way to look at it. 

Dude lighten up, I think Trees was talking about Gilbert and not your family members. I'm not saying Lupe isn't a wonderful person, but I would bet Gilbert has gotten ribbed about being with such a large lady and I would not put it past him to think getting her pregnant would make him look like a stud. I also think he figures it would be a way to tie her down since losing weight makes her more independent.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Couldn't they give her a mini lift under local to take up her neck waddles?  I had a mini lift with a local. It is not a big deal.  

I think she'll need more than a mini lift. She has a huge amount of skin hanging there!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

They must have promised Gilbert to put at least 10 quotes in the show about what a sex machine he is.  It was disgusting. He has gone downhill as well and he was already near the bottom. Fat and drunk through the whole episode.

Chalupe did herself a big disservice by letting so much sex stuff come up. I personally would rather see her break a toilet or hide a taco. I don't watch the show to hear about their sex lives.

I hope Dr Now cuts off Chalupe's turkey gizzard neck next..ugh..

Your post made my eyes tear up from laughing... (I'm already in the handbasket with 55Unicorns).  The part about promising Gilbert 10 quotes about what a sex machine he is reminds me of Hank Azaria's character in 'America's Sweethearts' after Catherine Zeta Jones' character says he has a small penis.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Complexity said:

I think she'll need more than a mini lift. She has a huge amount of skin hanging there!

Sure but they could easily remove some of the skin on her neck. Really they could.  

Edited by wings707
21 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Lupe's hip and femur fused when she was in a coma.  That also created the divide in her double chin

Was that on her original show?  I don't remember anything of that, except breaking the toilet seat at Dr. Now's office.

16 hours ago, dahling said:

They're DISAPPOINTED she's not pregnant?

He was disappointed, she wasn't.

14 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Dr. Now has a tendency to take a very lazy approach when the symptoms are something he's not used to. 

He does seem to assume any complaint is an excuse, until it's proven otherwise.
And at first, I thought he was saying that Lupe's not walking was an excuse, but later he started mentioning her needing hip surgery.
Ashley was the smallest in the room, when she walked in with her husband and mother. 
People were describing her face as a balloon face, but I thought of it as a piggy face.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought the same thing. His fingers are TINY. Dear lord. 

When he said "I'm a man, I have needs," re: busting his wife's stitches with sex, my jaw dropped and stayed there for a good few minutes. What an unbelievable shithead. We get it, dude, you're horny. Most so-called "men" don't act and talk like you past the age of 15. Thank god they didn't have a baby, I can only imagine the shit he would do in front of that child. (Note: I'm not saying he'd do it TO the child, but you think Gilbert would have a problem with banging his wife in front of their toddler? Cuz I don't.)

I had to rewind the part in the hospital where Gilberto the Pimp told the medical tech that Lupe might be pregnant. The look on that guy's face is classic. He could hardly contain his smirk, and also seemed horrified at the same time. If professionalism wasn't a thing, I think he'd have said "Are you F-ing with me? HOW???"

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Sure but they could easily remove some of the skin on her neck. Really they could.  

I remember Dr 90210 saying neck lifts were the hardest to do for a number of reasons.  

Gilbert made me want to punch his drunk face when was talking about his needs over his wife's major surgery and stitches.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

Also, someone mentioned upthread that the show wasn't on next week, but my guide says it's going to be an update show about Brittani & Sean.  

Yup, that was me and I stand corrected. I dunno, I kept seeing ads for "This is Life"and I thought it was next week.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Dude lighten up, I think Trees was talking about Gilbert and not your family members. I'm not saying Lupe isn't a wonderful person, but I would bet Gilbert has gotten ribbed about being with such a large lady and I would not put it past him to think getting her pregnant would make him look like a stud. I also think he figures it would be a way to tie her down since losing weight makes her more independent.

Yes I know that.  I'm telling him not to ascribe the most sinister possible motive to everyone and using my brothers as an example.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

A previous patient--I think his name was Chad--was a trucker who lost his job due to his ballooning weight. 

Is that because there are strict physical parameters for truckers? My impression with that guy was that he had to stop driving because it was just too taxing on him to get in and out of the truck, not that he failed a physical.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, wings707 said:

She doesn't have the money for that.  Trust me.

As an aside, this is exactly why I don't watch the skin tight show: it makes me insanely jealous.  I haven't watched it at all this year, but last year then never mentioned the cost of all these surgeries or the time off needed from work. So I had a huge weight loss and I need skin removal surgery too.  I will need three different operations for a grand total of $40k.  What normal person can afford that (with everything else in life you need)?

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Is that because there are strict physical parameters for truckers? My impression with that guy was that he had to stop driving because it was just too taxing on him to get in and out of the truck, not that he failed a physical.

He literally could not get himself into the truck cab at all.  Also, he had fallen out of the cab of the truck and got hurt pretty bad, which is what ended up halting his career.  All truck drivers are required to get a physical, but I think the standards are VERY LIBERAL.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

As an aside, this is exactly why I don't watch the skin tight show: it makes me insanely jealous.  I haven't watched it at all this year, but last year then never mentioned the cost of all these surgeries or the time off needed from work. So I had a huge weight loss and I need skin removal surgery too.  I will need three different operations for a grand total of $40k.  What normal person can afford that (with everything else in life you need)?

Great points notyrmomma. I was thinking the same thing about the costs, especially as regards Lupe. For her, the chin/neck surgery would be considered cosmetic surgery and would not be covered by any type of insurance plan. Of course it would greatly improve her self esteem and quality of life, but to the insurance companies it's just "vanity" surgery.

In your case though, aren't there any medical reasons to cite for you to get your insurance to cover it, even if you and your doctor can, ahem, "creatively" show that the extra skin is negatively impacting you physically?

Also wanted to add that, in the case of Ashley, her very full face, which does look much smaller to me than before she lost weight, may serve her well in the long run. Her face hasn't sagged or fallen because of its fullness and of course being younger than Lupe. Even when, hopefully, she reaches her goal weight she could, if she so chooses, get a minimally or non-invasive cosmetic procedure for far less money than Lupe would have to come up with, like one of those face sculpture procedures.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comments.
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

He was disappointed, she wasn't.

With respect, both of them expressed disappointment at her negative pregnancy test, although Lupe did temper hers by saying she was a little disappointed. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

In your case though, aren't there any medical reasons to cite for you to get your insurance to cover it, even if you and your doctor can, ahem, "creatively" show that the extra skin is negatively impacting you physically?

My thoughts exactly. On these shows I've heard many medical reasons (some legitimate, others questionable) that people request skin removal- recurrent skin infections, painful chafing, impaired mobility, rashes, etc. heck, I've known several people who've had eye lifts because they supposedly had visual limitations from their droopy eyelids.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

You're right that Chad stopped truck driving because he couldn't handle the physical demands and he couldn't fit in the cab of the truck.  But there are health regulations for truckers.  One is that your blood pressure can't be too high, which seems like it could be a problem for Ashley's husband.

6 minutes ago, vicegrip said:

Did somebody say there is a set of testicles hanging from Chalupe's neck?

And to think this whole time I thought Lupe borrowed one of Luann Delesseps statement necklaces.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Complexity said:

I think some men misguidedly associate getting a woman pregnant with virility.

That is what I was saying before.  It's totally true. Glad to not be the only "cynical" one.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Yes I know that.  I'm telling him not to ascribe the most sinister possible motive to everyone and using my brothers as an example.

I didn't know that you had taken a job as a forum mod. ;)

BTW I'm an "Earth Mother" who loves trees and all nature, not a guy.

Anyway, I maintain that Gilbert would love a child as "proof" that he can "do it" with his wife.  It certainly appears impossible (not to mention undesirable).

Edited by Trees
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

As an aside, this is exactly why I don't watch the skin tight show: it makes me insanely jealous.

They do show that message looking for people to be on the show.

1 hour ago, dahling said:

With respect, both of them expressed disappointment at her negative pregnancy test, although Lupe did temper hers by saying she was a little disappointed

She said she'd like a child, but admitted this wasn't a good time for having one.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

My mom had a big weightloss and subsequent skin removal surgery. Insurance covered it all because the doctor wrote it as being medically necessary. I am sure Dr Now does the same-he charges that the excess skin makes it hard for them to walk, causes infections, etc.

2 hours ago, Cherrio said:

And to think this whole time I thought Lupe borrowed one of Luann Delesseps statement necklaces.

Oh no you did-ent Cherrio, you actually got me to look her up--had no idea who this was. And then I discovered it was one of those UnReal Housewives!!! That damn countess woman. Aaarrrggh, I thoroughly despise each and every one of them and don't watch any of their shows but I did watch bits and pieces of the various housewives shows in the past. Really, really hate how they come across, how they all portray women in the worst light: nasty, selfish, back-stabbing, gossipy, materialistic beotches. Bad, bad Cherrio, LOL!

After checking out some of her "statement pieces" I think Lupe's neck looks way better in comparison!

• Love 2