Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Lupe & Ashley D

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Oh no you did-ent Cherrio, you actually got me to look her up--had no idea who this was. And then I discovered it was one of those UnReal Housewives!!! That damn countess woman. Aaarrrggh, I thoroughly despise each and every one of them and don't watch any of their shows but I did watch bits and pieces of the various housewives shows in the past. Really, really hate how they come across, how they all portray women in the worst light: nasty, selfish, back-stabbing, gossipy, materialistic beotches. Bad, bad Cherrio, LOL!

After checking out some of her "statement pieces" I think Lupe's neck looks way better in comparison!

I agree, Lupe has much better taste and looks than Luann.  I detest Luann.  

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I agree, Lupe has much better taste and looks than Luann.  I detest Luann.  

Yeah, but she's got Klaas! Aaaaaaannnnd her jewelry "website" is a total piece of shit.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comments.
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Oh no you did-ent Cherrio, you actually got me to look her up--had no idea who this was. And then I discovered it was one of those UnReal Housewives!!! That damn countess woman. Aaarrrggh, I thoroughly despise each and every one of them and don't watch any of their shows but I did watch bits and pieces of the various housewives shows in the past. Really, really hate how they come across, how they all portray women in the worst light: nasty, selfish, back-stabbing, gossipy, materialistic beotches. Bad, bad Cherrio, LOL!

After checking out some of her "statement pieces" I think Lupe's neck looks way better in comparison!

Oh man, you should check out her music video "Money Can't Buy You Class" on Youtube.

• Love 2
Just now, vicegrip said:

Oh man, you should check out her music video "Money Can't Buy You Class" on Youtube.

I think I would rather eat glass.  With a side of Fraahhd Rice. :)  Oh and put a taco in my purse to go.    

• Love 9

I still am fascinated and terribly curious about how Lupe and Gilbert make (made) it financially.  Assuming she's on disability and he gets (got) paid (past tense since she left his "care" and fled to San Antonio) some stipend for being her "caretaker", they still have their basic bills (assume the house they are filmed in is a rental) and, apparently they have no car, but still have electronics, gadgets, food, clothing, makeup....on and on and on...he apparently has "walk around $$" to buy her those stupid gifts, he has $$ to go our to bars, clubs...on and on and on... she can't be receiving that much SSI as she probably never worked and the stipend for him couldn't be more than 500-600/month? (maybe i'm mistaken, but I don't think I am) I believe the show does NOT pay very much (I think I read $4K in all) so how do they make it financially month after month and year after year???  Now that Lupe is with her cousin I'm sure her SSI check goes right to her directly and is more appropriate to paying her share of the expenses living with the cousin whom I assume is employed (maybe I'm assuming too much)

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, pdlinda1 said:

(maybe i'm mistaken, but I don't think I am) I believe the show does NOT pay very much (I think I read $4K in all)

I've read (on the internet and we all know we can believe everything we read on the internet) that TLC pays around $8K per episode. It was in reference to all their shows, not any show in particular, so maybe they pay more for other shows and less for this one? I honestly don't know, but I have wondered, too.

A few posters have scoured the internet and posted that Lupey and Dupey are back together, so I am assuming no more cousin helper and they are BOTH back to scamming the government and everyone else full time.

Speaking of scammers, I have always believed that some of them including Lupe and Penny refuse to walk because the scammed $$ will go away or be less.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My mom had a big weightloss and subsequent skin removal surgery. Insurance covered it all because the doctor wrote it as being medically necessary. I am sure Dr Now does the same-he charges that the excess skin makes it hard for them to walk, causes infections,

I've seen the Drs. Davis do this, but sometimes insurance turns them down, when the person still fits all the criteria. 

6 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I've known several people who've had eye lifts because they supposedly had visual limitations from their droopy eyelids.

totally, and this is a real thing.  My older friend had it done, and I think I will eventually too, because the sagging lids are cutting down on light!  

• Love 2

Ok, watched this episode last night. Here are my comments for anyone who's interested:

1. I should have made a drinking game out of this-every time Dr. Now says "super" it's time to take a shot. I caught myself whispering "say it! say it!" on more than one occasion. 

2. Does Gilbert own a shirt with sleeves? 

3. Gilbert mumbling about his needs - what a douche. And all the sex talk - trying to make himself out to be a stud puh-lease!

4. Sex with fresh stitches and at least 3 big honking drains hanging out? Disgusting he should be ashamed of himself. What a tool. That green stuff?

5. I REALLY wish we could have seen Dr. Now looking at that ripped open wound to see his reaction. It wasn't even his voiceover it was Lupe saying that she had to go into surgery right away. I can't imagine how horrified Dr. Now and the surgical staff were. 

6. Was I the only one who was grossed out by watching Lupe squeeze out the ground meat, use her hands with foul nail polish to form patties, then proceed to eat the cooked cheeseburger patty with her fingers? That scene just turned my stomach for some reason. 

7. Ashley is living in opposite world now - she is shrinking and her family (except Patrick so far) is gaining weight. She's so mild mannered I hope she finds her voice! 

Sorry for the long post, didn't realize how much I had to get off my chest! 

• Love 19
9 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

2. Does Gilbert own a shirt with sleeves? 

I've thought that very same thing! He looks terrible in tank tops (I refuse to call them muscle shirts when he's wearing them), but it seems that's all he wears. I suppose he thinks he looks like a hot stud in them, but the truth is, he looks like a dirty, stinky, sloppy mess.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, pdlinda1 said:

I still am fascinated and terribly curious about how Lupe and Gilbert make (made) it financially.  Assuming she's on disability and he gets (got) paid (past tense since she left his "care" and fled to San Antonio) some stipend for being her "caretaker", they still have their basic bills (assume the house they are filmed in is a rental) and, apparently they have no car, but still have electronics, gadgets, food, clothing, makeup....on and on and on...he apparently has "walk around $$" to buy her those stupid gifts, he has $$ to go our to bars, clubs...on and on and on... she can't be receiving that much SSI as she probably never worked and the stipend for him couldn't be more than 500-600/month? (maybe i'm mistaken, but I don't think I am) I believe the show does NOT pay very much (I think I read $4K in all) so how do they make it financially month after month and year after year???  Now that Lupe is with her cousin I'm sure her SSI check goes right to her directly and is more appropriate to paying her share of the expenses living with the cousin whom I assume is employed (maybe I'm assuming too much)

When he was just her "caretaker" he could receive a check but once he married her it makes him a spouse & I was not aware you could draw a check for taking care of your spouse. Someone please enlighten me :/

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

I can't imagine how horrified Dr. Now and the surgical staff were. 

Honestly, when I saw that incision it was similar to infected incisions I've seen many times before. Sadly, some people don't care for their fresh surgical incisions, nor do they know how. And sometimes they just don't care.  In other patients, they are so compromised (obese, diabetic, chronically ill) that healing is a massive challenge for their bodies, and the results are what you saw on Lupe.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Honestly, when I saw that incision it was similar to infected incisions I've seen many times before. Sadly, some people don't care for their fresh surgical incisions, nor do they know how. And sometimes they just don't care.  In other patients, they are so compromised (obese, diabetic, chronically ill) that healing is a massive challenge for their bodies, and the results are what you saw on Lupe.

Oh no, I forgot about the fact that Lupe had diabetes and proper wound/post surgical incision care is critical for someone like her. She's lucky she didn't die from an infection. In your opinion do you think it was infected since many here have mentioned the green matter surrounding one of her incisions?

BTW, don't want to start a firestorm, and I know Gilbert exhibits piggy behavior regarding sex, but I think it's highly likely that Lupe also wanted to have sex. I really don't think he forced himself on her as some here have stated. Afterall, I don't think that they had sexual intercourse in a long time, maybe never, and she's an adult woman with adult desires too. Since the two of them together often behave as though they're a few beers shy of a six pack when it comes to making good decisions--I mean no thought about birth control by either of them in their tenuous existence--demontrates that it is possible this was a mutual, albeit stupid, decision on both their parts.

I await the incoming flames. ;-)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

totally, and this is a real thing.  My older friend had it done, and I think I will eventually too, because the sagging lids are cutting down on light!  

Me as well.  My optometrist told me that it will probably be necessary with my droopy eyelids.  I am not there yet, but it's probably in my future.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

BTW, don't want to start a firestorm, and I know Gilbert exhibits piggy behavior regarding sex, but I think it's highly likely that Lupe also wanted to have sex. I really don't think he forced himself on her as some here have stated. Afterall, I don't think that they had sexual intercourse in a long time, maybe never, and she's an adult woman with adult desires too. Since the two of them together often behave as though they're a few beers shy of a six pack when it comes to making good decisions--I mean no thought about birth control by either of them in their tenuous existence--demontrates that it is possible this was a mutual, albeit stupid, decision on both their parts.

I don't know if Lupe felt strong or capable enough to make her own decisions & to say no to him. I'm thinking they may have had a good streak, or good times here & there, but when she didn't really want to he could've been pressuring her into it; he seemed good at being pushy about his 'needs'.  I am suspicious about anyone actually being in the mood after a surgery like hers.

Then before she left, she said things got 'physical', but I don't know what she meant by that - was he forcing at that point? Maybe. Or maybe he was being rough with her & she could see worse things coming. Either way she felt strong enough, or scared enough, to finally leave.

I'm concerned that she went back though & they are again together.  Gilbert needs a ton of help himself but he's just full of excuses for his crappy, & downright sick, behavior.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

When he was just her "caretaker" he could receive a check but once he married her it makes him a spouse & I was not aware you could draw a check for taking care of your spouse. Someone please enlighten me :/

Yes, I'd like to know how that works.  My MIL took care of my FIL until he died.  I don't get it either?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I don't know if Lupe felt strong or capable enough to make her own decisions & to say no to him. I'm thinking they may have had a good streak, or good times here & there, but when she didn't really want to he could've been pressuring her into it; he seemed good at being pushy about his 'needs'.  I am suspicious about anyone actually being in the mood after a surgery like hers.

Then before she left, she said things got 'physical', but I don't know what she meant by that - was he forcing at that point? Maybe. Or maybe he was being rough with her & she could see worse things coming. Either way she felt strong enough, or scared enough, to finally leave.

I'm concerned that she went back though & they are again together.  Gilbert needs a ton of help himself but he's just full of excuses for his crappy, & downright sick, behavior.

I took her comment about getting physical as in hitting her, maybe after he got drunk. She was really complaining about his drinking towards the end of the episode. Also, he was stone cold toe up from the flo' up when the ambulance arrived to take her to the hospital to treat her ruptured incisions. But, who knows what strange things go on behind closed doors?

Gee, if they really are back together at least I hope they got, and are still getting, intense couples therapy. I know I would personally be done if my husband or boyfriend hit me.

• Love 5

I think we can safely assume that they don't spend one dime on cleaning services. 

I mean really, a plastic cup on the floor next to a broom, clothes strewn about and one shoe?  How does anyone function in a home that is that disorganized and that filthy?  Someone several threads ago noticed that all these 600 pound people sleep on bare mattresses.  Disgusting.

I get that a large percentage of the population doesn't have money for extras but for the love of all that's holy anyone can pick up a damn cup and put clean sheets on the bed.  Soap and water is a hell of a lot cheaper than dozens of donuts, tacos and take out. 

As I tell my clients you can't unclutter your mind if your surroundings are cluttered.  They are related. 

Maybe horndog Gilbert should use some of that "extra energy" on cleaning up their living space instead of forcing himself on his wife. 

Gilbert is pig in more ways than one.  Many more.

1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

No firestorm from me - I think Lupe also wanted to have sex. They are both a few cards short of a full deck and have very little in terms of good decision-making skills. 

• Love 7

BTW, don't want to start a firestorm, and I know Gilbert exhibits piggy behavior regarding sex, but I think it's highly likely that Lupe also wanted to have sex.

No flames here, that's why I said on the live chat that I figured she would get back with him.

18 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

Maybe horndog Gilbert should use some of that "extra energy" on cleaning up their living space instead of forcing himself on his wife. 

LOL!  I have said this before but I notice on this show the people tend to eat off paper plates rather than use regular dishes. Although I will admit sometimes I wish my boyfriend (and he does do dishes) would use a paper plate once in awhile. ;)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Armchair Critic said:

No flames here, that's why I said on the live chat that I figured she would get back with him.

I keep holding out hope that she will stay away from him, but I must admit that even I know it's only a very slim chance (no pun intended!). Maybe it's a form of denial for me. Until I know for sure she's gone back to him, I can pretend she's not being abused on a regular basis by that bastard. *sigh*

• Love 2

I think Little Gilberto's need to bring up a possible pregnancy was to make it clue..his little Gilberto is getting action.

Her neck skin could easily be removed.  It's clearly hanging skin..nothing important in it except Little G's balls.

You're welcome, lol

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Gee, if they really are back together at least I hope they got, and are still getting, intense couples therapy. I know I would personally be done if my husband or boyfriend hit me.

For sure...  I'm concerned that Lupe won't have enough self esteem to stay away. If she went into therapy on her own maybe she could get healthy enough to move on & have a better life. 

If she's back with him, I really, REALLY hope she doesn't get pregnant.

• Love 5

Gee, if they really are back together at least I hope they got, and are still getting, intense couples therapy. 

Here I go being the skeptic again and yes I may be generalizing, but most people like that are not going to go to therapy besides what was needed for the show. 

• Love 6

Judging by their CA house, amd it's location, the rent was not much. At all.

CA disability is $888 a month normally.

Gilbert can get paid up to a certain amount of hours as a caretaker in CA.

They may have qualified for food stamps as well and I can guarantee she is on MediCal, free health insurance.

Since their move to TX? Idk but they probably pretend to live in CA still.

Also, being Mexican, I guarantee family members help out $ as well. That's normal in Mexican families.

I've never seen that the show lays $4000, where did you see that?

I always wonder about that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I wonder if they were ever "legally married" as your point is well taken and regardless of how "sharp" either/both of them are one thing they would surely have understood is losing that 2nd check!!

• Love 2

I thought I read somewhere here,  that the show pays $4000 for the move, and some other stipend, but not big bucks.
What I didn't understand, was that the apartment used to be a given, but then we had the ones this season, can't remember which all, who had to find their own place.
I do think the show could do that.

• Love 2

Eeeewww, I just had a really creepy thought regarding whether or not Lupe could have willingly want to make "the beast with two backs" with Gilbert.

Since it really bothered her that Gilbert was always contacting, as she said, "other chicks" online and repeatedly cheated on her or, as Gilbert would say, "have a slip," could Lupe have foolishly thought that having sex with him would keep him from steppin' out on her? Show him he didn't have to cheat 'cause he can get it at home?

Also, I wonder how soon after her surgery they "did it" thinking enough time had passed and it would be safe? Maybe if he had just a little bit of finesse about him, she wouldn't have been injured.

I know, I know, super creepy and totally makes no sense but maybe, just maybe it might in you lived in  The Twighlight Zone Gilbert and Lupe's universe.

And thanks for the flame free responses. I used to participate in a forum where even the most benign post could start a truly nasty exchange real fast. Being here is a breath of fresh air compared to that site.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To correct stupid autocorrect!
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Here I go being the skeptic again and yes I may be generalizing, but most people like that are not going to go to therapy besides what was needed for the show. 

In order for Gilbert to benefit from therapy, he would need to be personally motivated for something to change. And then he would need to do the actual work. I have not seen anything to demonstrate Gilbert's deep desire for anything to change. Quite the opposite; I think he wants things to remain very much the same. He appears very happy to get drunk and have sex with anyone whenever he pleases, surgical stitches be damned.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Since it really bothered her that Gilbert was always contacting, as she said, "other chicks" online and repeatedly cheated on her or, as Gilbert would say, "have a slip," could Lupe have foolishly thought that having sex with him would keep him from steppin' out on her? Show him he didn't have to cheat 'cause he can get it at home?

I think that's absolutely a possibility. He blamed her for his 'slips' on the show so I can only imagine what she had to hear without cameras around. And who knows what he said to her for her to agree to sex so soon after major surgery. Maybe she was taking some major pain killers just to get through it.

9 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, I wonder how soon after her surgery they "did it" thinking enough time had passed and it would be safe? Maybe if he had just a little bit of finesse about him, she wouldn't have been injured.

I wondered that too - I think she said it was four weeks later when they showed the green discharge & she was going to the hospital. But I don't think she said exactly how soon after he went at it with her. 

"Finesse' doesn't seem to be Gilbert's style. And if he was drunk, he would've been more numb so probably rougher... ugh this is not a good place for the mind to go.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Judging by their CA house, amd it's location, the rent was not much. At all.

CA disability is $888 a month normally.

Gilbert can get paid up to a certain amount of hours as a caretaker in CA.

They may have qualified for food stamps as well and I can guarantee she is on MediCal, free health insurance.

Since their move to TX? Idk but they probably pretend to live in CA still.

Also, being Mexican, I guarantee family members help out $ as well. That's normal in Mexican families.

I've never seen that the show lays $4000, where did you see that?

I always wonder about that.

I thought anything and everything in CA is sky high?? $888/month is very little, even with MediCal and food stamps...I got the $4K figure on what the show pays participants from this board and the poster went into some detail about what the show pays and doesn't pay.  I do think, however, that the show is gaining a lot of viewership and people I know who don't ordinarily watch "reality TV" are actually plugged into this show so I'm thinking maybe the payment structure is becoming more lucrative to the participants??  After all, there would be no show without the participants, right???

• Love 1
4 hours ago, pdlinda1 said:

They might qualify for Section 8, which could cover all (if not most) of their housing costs. If they were in government apartments (and I don't think they are, especially since the one thing looked like a house) then their housing would be based on income. My mom went to college when she was 40. She was a single parent and we lived in income-based apartments while she got her degree. Her rent was $5 a month. It's funny, because at the time I thought it was fabulous. I had all these other kids living around me, everyone was real friendly, and we made a lot of friends. It wasn't until I was an adult, 15 years after we were out of there, that I realized people made fun of those kinds of apartments. :-)

I just can't with Gilbert. Probably TMI here but because of my health problems, we can go for MONTHS without, you know, bam-chika-bow-wow. Dude, there ARE other ways of getting your rocks off besides, you know, killing your wife...

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

They might qualify for Section 8, which could cover all (if not most) of their housing costs. If they were in government apartments (and I don't think they are, especially since the one thing looked like a house) then their housing would be based on income. My mom went to college when she was 40. She was a single parent and we lived in income-based apartments while she got her degree. Her rent was $5 a month. It's funny, because at the time I thought it was fabulous. I had all these other kids living around me, everyone was real friendly, and we made a lot of friends. It wasn't until I was an adult, 15 years after we were out of there, that I realized people made fun of those kinds of apartments. :-)

I just can't with Gilbert. Probably TMI here but because of my health problems, we can go for MONTHS without, you know, bam-chika-bow-wow. Dude, there ARE other ways of getting your rocks off besides, you know, killing your wife...

OK...thanks for the info and now understand why those who qualify for those types of benefits flee AZ for CA on a regular basis.  Isn't it amazing that at the end of all her life challenges Lupe is actually becoming a reality TV "star" with people commenting about her plight on multiple social media sites and other message boards!!  Only in America!!(LOL)

• Love 2
On 4/13/2017 at 0:01 PM, CouchTater said:

My goodness.  I just discovered Halo Top ice cream last week, and luuuuuuuuv the vanilla bean.  An entire pint is 240 calories, and it's delicious!

While it's no Haagen Daz, it's a game-changer for me in my get-fit efforts.  I highly recommend it.

Hi all. I haven't seen this update yet, but ditto on Halo Top Vanilla Bean. It's more like ice milk to me but it's good stuff. Okay, see you guys. 

• Love 1

Housing in CA is sky high unless you live out in the Mojove desert, where they did, and even for there, their house seemed bad.  It's all bad but I guarantee their rent there wasn't much and or a family member owned the shack they lived in.

It's hard to get section 8 in CA, wait list up the you know what and still it isn't free.

Damn you guys, now I need to try Noosa yogurt and Halo ice cream..as I'm sitting here stuffing all my extra Easter candy down my throat. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I just can't with Gilbert. Probably TMI here but because of my health problems, we can go for MONTHS without, you know, bam-chika-bow-wow.

When I was married I would have gladly gone years without it. ;)  I've been with my current boyfriend almost a decade and things are much different with him (TMI on my part as usual). But anywhoo bringing it back to Gilbert, when he met Lupe she was already morbidly obese and not moving around much, so he knew from the get go he wasn't getting some nubile young thing that was going to be romping around in the sheets. So there is no excuse if he doesn't get enough sex from her because he knew what he was getting into, it's not like he met her when she was thin and things changed.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Love your bam-chika-bow-wow mamadrama! Like they say, it's quality not quantity!

As for Section 8 housing in Houston or anywhere else in the U.S., while they probably do qualify because Lupe is on disability, no one who has just moved to a jurisdiction is going to move to the head of the line since you have longtime residents who have been on a waiting list for years for an apartment. What she does qualify for is a housing grant where you would not have to pay more than approximately 30 percent of your monthly income for rent; the government pays for the rest.

The difference between that program and Section 8 is that the landlord doesn't have to set aside lower rent apartments. Between what the resident pays and the government subsidizes, the landlord will receive the exact amount of rent as they would for any other apartment on their property. Also, each jurisdiction has maximum monthly rent limits which vary from place to place, so no you couldn't get a subsidy for a gorgeous condo in the swank part of town.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To add additional comments.
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

When I was married I would have gladly gone years without it. ;)  I've been with my current boyfriend almost a decade and things are much different with him (TMI on my part as usual). But anywhoo bringing it back to Gilbert, when he met Lupe she was already morbidly obese and not moving around much, so he knew from the get go he wasn't getting some nubile young thing that was going to be romping around in the sheets. So there is no excuse if he doesn't get enough sex from her because he knew what he was getting into, it's not like he met her when she was thin and things changed.

Your last sentence brought up a question I had been thinking about regarding all of the 600+ pounders on this show. Has there ever been one of them who met their significant other when they were slim and then ballooned up during the relationship? A lot of the husbands, wives, boyfriends or girlfriends will say that they met the other when they were large, like 300-400 pounds, and then they just got bigger and bigger. I believe I've see all of the episodes and I can't think of one.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Love your bam-chika-bow-wow mamadrama! Like they say, it's quality not quantity!

As for Section 8 housing in Houston or anywhere else in the U.S., while they probably do qualify because Lupe is on disability, no one who has just moved to a jurisdiction is going to move to the head of the line since you have longtime residents who have been on a waiting list for years for an apartment. What she does qualify for is a housing grant where you would not have to pay more than approximately 30 percent of your monthly income for rent; the government pays for the rest. Also, each jurisdiction has maximum monthly rent limits which vary from place to place, so no you couldn't get a subsidy for a gorgeous condo in the swank part of town.

Yeah, once she moved to Texas she would have been at the end of the list. In my state the list is currently 2 years long. Because there are so many people on it, they occasionally have "freezes" where they don't let anyone apply. People with children and the elderly get first serve, and then those with disability. The property owner also has to enter the program and agree to accept Section 8 and they have to comply with a different set of rules. (So you can't just take your voucher and go anywhere you want.) There's a place here in town, a hovel really, that rented for $1100. That's in a town where average rental price, for a house, is $300. And this place was on the verge of falling down. He charged that much because it was a Section 8 house and nobody that lived in it was really paying much out of their own pocket. He finally got in trouble. 

• Love 1

$1500..total they get

Straight from one of participants, Pauline, found this on a forum she is on:

I do not regret the surgery, the excellent doctor or the weight loss so far. I do regret dealing with the show because I didn't realize how scripted it was or how they would twist it against me. They pay cast members $1500 and they do not pay groceries, rent, power bills etc. and our personal insurance pays for the surgery itself in most cases. I feel the surgery was a success and continues to be....I weighed 678lbs when I got here 15 months ago and I am 364lbs now, 9 months after WLS. I'm quite happy with a 314lb weight loss so far! When I get down to 300 I will start getting skin removal surgery and my goal is to weigh 200lbs at 5 8. I get around better, I dress myself without help and my son helps me with less than half of the things he used to. I recently had to get a dilation in my tummy where they blew up a balloon in there because it healed up too tight/small and wasn't allowing food to go downward to digest. I now feel good as ever. I hope to do all of the things I've talked about for years....riding a bike, dancing etc. I hope I don't ever gain back up to 700lbs in the future and will do my best to maintain the attitude of eating to live, not living to eat. I have nothing against big people/feeders/FAs etc but I wanted more physical activity out of my life than 700lbs allowed me.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

$1500..total they get

$1,500 is all they get for that humiliation?  I don't care how much money they gave me, I would never let them film me showering! Though I do realize at their sizes Dr. Now may be the only doctor who would give them surgery, but if I were them I would try to get a surgery with Dr. Now without being on the show.

• Love 5

I couldn't believe that green sh*t in Lupe's incision- it looked like guacamole. Why was there always a cigarillo tucked under Gilbert's hat? He looks so ridiculous. Their segments just made me angry. 

This is random and maybe weird, but I really liked Ashley's narration. Her voice sounded almost... pretty. I have noticed that once these people lose a significant amount of weight, their voices sound less garbled and miserable. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, auntjess said:

They do show that message looking for people to be on the show.

Hells to the no! LOL 

18 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My mom had a big weightloss and subsequent skin removal surgery. Insurance covered it all because the doctor wrote it as being medically necessary. I am sure Dr Now does the same-he charges that the excess skin makes it hard for them to walk, causes infections, etc.

Luckily (unfortunately?) my skin isn't bad enough to cause infection/irritation and with the caliber of plastic surgeons I have been consulting with (i.e., none of them list "bariatric surgeon" as their day job) say that insurance will never cover it....but the good news is that time off of work will be covered under FLMA (and I will be able to use my sick pay/disability to cover the time off).  I'm gonna eventually do it, I'm just a little pissy on how not fully honest that show is--and how all these medicaid people (MARLA!) think that they can just waltz into a plastic surgeon and come out looking like a bikini model--just doesn't work like that.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Yeah, once she moved to Texas she would have been at the end of the list. In my state the list is currently 2 years long. Because there are so many people on it, they occasionally have "freezes" where they don't let anyone apply. People with children and the elderly get first serve, and then those with disability. The property owner also has to enter the program and agree to accept Section 8 and they have to comply with a different set of rules. (So you can't just take your voucher and go anywhere you want.) There's a place here in town, a hovel really, that rented for $1100. That's in a town where average rental price, for a house, is $300. And this place was on the verge of falling down. He charged that much because it was a Section 8 house and nobody that lived in it was really paying much out of their own pocket. He finally got in trouble. 

So I owned a house and rented it out to a family that was on Section 8, but I'm in south Florida (the house was on the Treasure Coast ("TC") though). I loved and hated Section 8 at the same time.  As a bit of background, during the economic calamities of 2008ish, we had to move to be closer to where our jobs were, but we couldn't sell our TC house because it was severely under water, so we rented it out.  Long story short, we rented out to a very nice family on Section 8, which stayed there until I was finally able to sell it just this past November.  Also long story short, we only got $975 a month in total for rent and just under $700 came from the county (not state).  It used to frost me that these people got to live in a house for $275 that my husband and I scrimped and saved for years to buy and upgrade--and it was a super nice house (1/4 acre of land, 2 car garage, stainless appliances (which they wrecked!), and freaking walk-in closets IN EACH ROOM!)...and they were always late with their payment!  But the best part was that the county always paid on time which was just enough to cover my mortgage.  

Also, my love/hate relationship with Section 8 was their yearly inspections.  They were picky as hell!  My tenants broke two out of four of the glass shades that cover the ceiling fan's lights and I had to fix that or else my Section 8 payments would cease.  So as picky as these inspections were, they really protected me too...EXCEPT that these people loved to paint walls in loud, bright colors, and wouldn't know what a cut-in brush was to save their lives--they painted ceilings, baseboards, outlet covers, etc, costing me thousands to have someone repaint every single surface of the house.  So bottom line TC won't allow you to rent a dilapidated house out to Section 8 families (unless it is wrecked with bright teal and brown paint, then all bets are off).   

When I finally put the house up for sale and had to remove my tenants, they cried.  The administrator at Section 8 almost cried too (and nearly begged me not to sell), because no one wants to rent to Section 8 people in the TC.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I still don't know how these people manage to live with no one earning any real income.  My only other guess is that Gilbert has "walking around $" because maybe he picks up work "under the table" - like day labor and stuff.  Don't know about TX, but here in FLA, if you drive nearby the Home Depot/Lowes stores early in the mornings, you will see bunches of men just waiting in the parking lot and contractors and the like will stop by and pick them up to do "day labor" for cash. 

Also, I was one of the people who mentioned the $4,000 payments that they get--I still can't verify that this is true though.  Someone on one of unofficial Facebook pages to discuss the show said they talked to the producers and they pay something like $1,500 to subsidize the move to TX and $2,500 for the rights to the story.  Your insurance is supposed to cover the cost of the surgery (medicaid probably) and they will pay for any food that is needed for a scene--which explains why some of them stop 10+ times for food on the way to TX.  The cost of food is definitely a material part of their earnings! lol  This person said that the real reason why people go on this show is that because the wait to see Dr. Now is years otherwise, but if they are on the show, they get right in.

• Love 7