Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Take A Knee

• Start Topic

Casey discovers a new crack house on the block that is harboring a female junkie and goes to extreme measures to remedy the situation. Dawson and Brett get assigned a new trainee for the shift and the newbie gets the two in trouble when he surprises them during a harrowing call. Meanwhile, Severide gets an unexpected visit from his father, Benny, and Herrmann deals with family issues when his son Lee Henry gets into trouble at school.

That "break up" with Anna was just stupid and really poorly written.  UGH! I hate when they have to get rid of a character quickly and present something so poorly thought out.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, HollyG said:

What was going on with Anna? That came out of nowhere.

That was bizarre! 

I love Hermann. He is so funny. Where on earth did that stupid principal get off calling that "hate speech"? I hope Hermann took his donuts back!

• Love 4

I was thinking that Hermann's kid had really uttered some kind of inflammatory remarks, and that part didn't get through to Hermann or his wife.  But no.

Okay, new medic trainee.  Basic Life Support 101.  Do not ever, ever start CPR until you have checked and confirmed that there is no pulse.  You stand a good chance of killing the patient otherwise.  I'm surprised they didn't at least hint at that, but Gabby the Hero stepped in and saved him, at the expense of a few shifts in the classroom.  CFD could be liable for that one when the guy comes out of the hospital.

As long as we're talking liability, Casey's head injury from Season 1 must be flaring up, because what he did was wrong on so many levels.  I hope he coughed up the dough to fix that car window he broke, and he (and the crew) were damn lucky they didn't meet with a shotgun blast after kicking in the door.  There's a reason Chicago PD exists, and it's not just to fill up another hour of television.

I'll give some props to the writers for giving Dawson that one line: "You're gonna go Gabby Dawson on them?"  I guess they're listening now.

I loved that line from Benny's arm candy: "Is that (pediatrics) like a foot doctor?"  Reminds me of that Julie Brown song from the 80s (I'm a Blonde): "My goal is to be a veterinarian because I love children."

• Love 7

The whole thing with the drug house made me crazy.  It was one thing for them to notice it and think that something should be done.  Have we forgotten that Casey is an alderman, and could send over city inspectors?  But it was out of line to take a fire truck there.  But once there, he did have a right to preserve the child in the car, because that's a regular think that firefighters have to do, since too many people really do leave children alone in cars.  And there's no way to know how long it's been.  This wasn't a hot weather situation, but it looked like a cold weather problem, and they have a responsibility to address the child's safety immediately.  And then call teh cops, since leaving a child alone in teh car can be a crime in many states.  

But then he went and had the police find out her address, and then went there himself.  And totally believed everything teh parents said, and that their poor baby girl was the one and only addict who is a pure victim.  So of course her dealer held a knife/machete to her throat when they showed up, so she really does look like a victim.  And one stint in rehab will turn her life around, since her parents love her.  

Most addicts are addicts for a reason (not excusing, just saying there are usually issues that have led to the drug abuse in the first place), and it often starts at home.  And even if you have perfect parents, most addicts go through rehab many times before it sticks, if it ever does.  Many go through lather, rinse, repeat of use, detox, rehab, use, and it's a lifelong pattern.  But Casey also never considered that she might be just as bad a person as her dealer.  What if she was out there mugging and robbing people for her fix?  What if she was the one who said pretend to hold me hostage so they'll go away?  Casey doesn't know ANYTHING about any of these people, and he butts in AND uses confidential information to ruin a police raid.  

Finally, since Casey saved her from being arrested, there's nothing keeping her in rehab.  When it gets hard, she has no court order or probation officer or anything else forcing her to stick it out.  She will be free to walk out whenever she wants.  A lot of addicts are only in treatment because it's the alternative to jail.  Casey also took that tool away.

And don't even get me started about the ridiculousness of using the hoses in the house and tackling people wearing full gear.  The city is going to owe drug dealer some money over that one.

• Love 7
(edited)

I laughed a bit this episode, between Hermann's outbursts  (and the snickering from the firehouse) and severide' s reactions to Benny.   I didn't like the crackhouse stort at all for many of the reasons mentioned. Casey, that was stupid and so was everyone on Truck for going along with it.

Last episode, Anna gave Kelly the same look at Molly's as she did with Benny/His date this episode: "Really? I have to interact with these people?" Come on, people all over the place are quirky and you just go along with it. Would love to find out what her deal is. She has scenes where she is really cute and fun, but then the bitch comes out

Edited by Jess24
  • Love 1

When Anna just ordered water, I figured "ok, she's pregnant."  But then she runs away and breaks up with him with no explanation?  I don't get it; that was very poorly done.  I liked her when they first introduced her and she was cracking jokes while so sick, but since she's recovered she's been a bore.

Casey... yeah.  Everyone else has summed it up well.  I didn't like that he took it upon himself to break into cars and crack houses.  It was nice to see Al, but Al and the CPD should have been the ones to do that, not a fireman.  

Gabby's line was funny, but also mocking to the viewers.  We're all sick of her, but the writers don't seem to care.

I also figured that the Herrmanns didn't get the full story from their son and that he did something worse than not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.  Why is that considered hate speech??  That storyline kind of lost me.  

• Love 2

I thought the same thing: when the principal referred to "hate speech," I was sure we'd learn that Lee Henry neglected to tell his parents the full extent of his use of his First Amendment rights. Was the principal just portrayed as that much of a wuss?

I figure they're working up to a reveal that Anna has some form of personality/attachment disorder; her absolutely 180-degree Heel Nurse Turn makes no sense.

4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

The whole thing with the drug house made me crazy.  It was one thing for them to notice it and think that something should be done.  Have we forgotten that Casey is an alderman, and could send over city inspectors?  But it was out of line to take a fire truck there.  But once there, he did have a right to preserve the child in the car, because that's a regular think that firefighters have to do, since too many people really do leave children alone in cars.  And there's no way to know how long it's been.  This wasn't a hot weather situation, but it looked like a cold weather problem, and they have a responsibility to address the child's safety immediately.  And then call teh cops, since leaving a child alone in teh car can be a crime in many states.  

But then he went and had the police find out her address, and then went there himself.  And totally believed everything teh parents said, and that their poor baby girl was the one and only addict who is a pure victim.  So of course her dealer held a knife/machete to her throat when they showed up, so she really does look like a victim.  And one stint in rehab will turn her life around, since her parents love her.  

Most addicts are addicts for a reason (not excusing, just saying there are usually issues that have led to the drug abuse in the first place), and it often starts at home.  And even if you have perfect parents, most addicts go through rehab many times before it sticks, if it ever does.  Many go through lather, rinse, repeat of use, detox, rehab, use, and it's a lifelong pattern.  But Casey also never considered that she might be just as bad a person as her dealer.  What if she was out there mugging and robbing people for her fix?  What if she was the one who said pretend to hold me hostage so they'll go away?  Casey doesn't know ANYTHING about any of these people, and he butts in AND uses confidential information to ruin a police raid.  

I got so mad at this point. He wanted to ruin a perfectly set police raid, which would save quite a lot of people-considering that it had to be kinda huge if it was a priority for narcotics- and would put many dealers in jail because there was one "victim" in there? Which was also confusing because apparently she's been using for quite some time since her parents had tried many times to help her before having to kick her out. So it's not like that psycho kept her there and made her an addict.

And btw, wth was that? He was really scary but he was mostly out of his mind crazy. That kind of crazy can't be moving around drugs. I could totally see him as a serial killer though.

3 hours ago, Jess24 said:

Last episode, Anna gave Kelly the same look at Molly's as she did with Benny/His date this episode: "Really? I have to interact with these people?" Come on, people all over the place are quirky and you just go along with it. Would love to find out what her deal is. She has scenes where she is really cute and fun, but then the bitch comes out

In the beginning of the episode Anna was sooo cute. And she was happy to meet Kelly's father and yet when she arrived she was acting so weird and that was completely out of the blue. That doesn't even make any sense. Scene 1: They are happy together, Anna wants to meet Benny, Kelly gives her an out but all is fine. Scene 2: Anna is leaving because she thinks somehow they are completely incompatible. Again, wth?

And I don't even know why they added the storyline with the pledge of allegiance. Or why no that Kelly has (or had) a girlfriend he is barely shown doing his actual job. I liked Brett and Gabby in this episode, but I want to see more of Brett.

• Love 3

When Casey "popped" the car window to get to the kid, what kind of tool did he use? That was kind of awesome - I couldn't tell what it was but whatever it was shattered the window instantly.

Snore to "stand for troops".

Ok, here's where they lost me. I get why Herrmann's kid "took a knee" in defiance of the pledge. But it's a real stretch to think he's going to change his attitude by introducing him to war veterans. I understand the connection they are trying to make: these troops lost life and limb to fight for your right to protest. The problem? It's kind of bullshit. That might have been true 200 years ago, but today's military is not fighting for our rights. They are off fighting terrorism in the middle east and that's a very different animal. We aren't in danger of losing freedoms or rights depending on what the troops do overseas. Nobody is going to enslave us and take away our freedoms. So TV needs to stop playing that card because it's political bullshit.

• Love 7

I won't comment on the military aspect other than to say I'm very pro-military and leave it there and didn't care for the knee subplot. It seemed that they were trying to cash in on the controversial issues. I don't typically like it when any show tries that. *shrugs*

I didn't have an issue with Casey breaking the window. As someone else pointed out, he did have a right, even an obligation, to do that. Kids die in overheated cars way too often. There's also been cases, one of which near where I live, where a child died locked in a car who froze to death. So, I didn't have an issue with him breaking the window. 

I, like many others, don't like Gabby (I wish she and Criminal Minds' JJ would disappear together somewhere far away). Do the writers take pleasure in making her such a caricature of a mary sue? Even when she somewhat gets in trouble, it's played for laughs (at least, that's what the retraining announcement seemed to be, for me). 

Not so sure if Casey should've done the whole fire/police thing at the end. I do have a 18 year-old niece who I would do anything to protect (and her 12 year-old brother and sister as well an 3 year-old niece), thankfully they all have good heads on their shoulders, as the saying goes. I loved Casey trying to help, but I wonder if it's going to be a hindrance instead.

As for the trainee, I liked his heart, shall I say. What I mean, is that, I liked he was willing to train. There was something endearing about him. True, he was an idiot with the CPR thing, but I liked something about him. I did wonder if either the actor or the character had something going on with his seemingly stilted speech. He reminded me of a dear friend whom is autistic. NOT making fun of it at all, just an observation. 

Benny annoyed me, but I think that was the point of him in this episode. 

What is up with Anna? That seemed to be quite the attitude change. My town doesn't get NBC very well, ever since they went digital in '08 and I wondered if I missed something with my tv fading in and out on the channel (I don't have cable so rely on broadcast tv). 

• Love 1

The taking a knee issue is way bigger than we can address in this thread, and it will also probably get too much into real-life political issues. I'll just say that one can support the troops and not feel obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. The military is not the same thing as the country.

55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

When Casey "popped" the car window to get to the kid, what kind of tool did he use? That was kind of awesome - I couldn't tell what it was but whatever it was shattered the window instantly.

There are lots of kinds of tools on sale out there which are made for breaking car windows. The Mythbusters actually recommend getting one for yourself in case you are ever trapped in your car. There are versions available which are small enough to go on your keychain. It looks like Casey used such a tool on that car window. It has a spring-loaded steel point that shoots out the end hard enough to shatter glass.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Xantar said:

The taking a knee issue is way bigger than we can address in this thread, and it will also probably get too much into real-life political issues. I'll just say that one can support the troops and not feel obligated to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school. The military is not the same thing as the country.

True. I'm pro-both but that's all I'll say (and wouldn't have said this much had it not been a topic on the episode lest it veer off outside of the episode constraints). I don't like it when shows try to make points from controversial news issues, it tends to get way over simplified and somewhat loopsided on the part of whatever the writers feel is the right side. 

Anyways, another thing I liked was seeing Reese (???) from CMED. I need to catch up on that show. I did question whether she had the right to tell Casey as much as she did, even as little as it was during the detox scene. Maybe she was given permission to do so.    

Edited by autumnmountains
Correcting CMed character's name
(edited)

Didn't care for this episode much but I do wonder if Anna thought that somehow Kelly is a bit like Benny with the women he had admitted going out with. I did think Benny and his girl were a bit too welcoming, I didn't like that scene. I know they do this on TV but Benny should have let her decide what she wanted, not order for her. 

Casey was right in breaking the window but he was wrong in the last part of the episode and surprised Boden would have allowed Matt to do that. If I was Alex, I would go after Casey if they had a failed raid or didn't make arrests 2 days later. 

I do not watch Chicago Med so I'm not sure who Renee is but she didn't have a right to say anything to Casey or Kidd.

I wonder if Hatcher and Boden thought Gabby and Sylvia were lying and that's why they have to take classes. The trainee was wrong in what he did but I wonder if he will just do something else since I thought it was strange he went to another house. 

I think something else happened between Henry and the school that they haven't told Cindy or Hermann but I didn't like that Cindy had to tell Hermann before picking him up and getting him to the Firehouse. I felt bad for him really and thought that should have been handled at home. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
33 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I do not watch Chicago Med so I'm not sure who Renee is but she didn't have a right to say anything to Casey or Kidd.

I wonder if Hatcher and Boden thought Gabby and Sylvia were lying and that's why they have to take classes. The trainee was wrong in what he did but I wonder if he will just do something else since I thought it was strange he went to another house. 

Her name is actually Dr. Sarah Reese.  They bend the HIPAA rules all the time on television shows.  I've just come to expect it.

Boden clearly knew.  It was obvious when they were in their interview with their supervisor (I assume that was Hatcher?  I didn't catch his name).  And if Hatcher didn't also know, then he's oblivious, because they were horrible liars.  That definitely has to be the reason why they are going to re-training.

3 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Her name is actually Dr. Sarah Reese.  They bend the HIPAA rules all the time on television shows.  I've just come to expect it.

Boden clearly knew.  It was obvious when they were in their interview with their supervisor (I assume that was Hatcher?  I didn't catch his name).  And if Hatcher didn't also know, then he's oblivious, because they were horrible liars.  That definitely has to be the reason why they are going to re-training.

Thanks, I couldn't remember it. She isn't a favorite of mine and I need to catch up with most of the episodes this year. I close a lot on Thursdays at my job.

3 minutes ago, autumnmountains said:

Thanks, I couldn't remember it. She isn't a favorite of mine and I need to catch up with most of the episodes this year. I close a lot on Thursdays at my job.

I'm not an avid watcher of Chicago Med either, but I remember her name because they messed up the credits once when she was a guest on Chicago PD.  They called the actress "Sarah Reese" when her name is really Rachel something.  Weird that I remember that from there, but oh well.  :-)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Yeah, that's true. Maybe he recommended them having re training to punish them for lying. Yeah, TV shows don't even know what HIPAA is but then, it would be kinda boring to be told all the time we can't tell you. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, autumnmountains said:

I don't like it when shows try to make points from controversial news issues, it tends to get way over simplified and somewhat loopsided on the part of whatever the writers feel is the right side. 

They could have gone all in and had Henry recite the pledge without the "under God" phrase and start a huge argument about that, especially since the Hermanns are strong Catholics.  I did find somewhat amusing the way he delivered his speech in a fire-breathing dragon tone.  That sort of bent Henry right over backwards.  He definitely wasn't expecting that.

I watched last week's recorded PD just before watching this Fire episode. Both featured young white women who were addicts. Writers block? I was impressed that the Fire addict was not attractive or endearing.

I too thought the crack house story was pretty ridiculous--the "rescue" of the girl was more like an intervention, what with her parents right there! Seriously, wouldn't you be afraid they were in some danger being brought into that house? Did anyone check the whole place? I was hoping the daughter would actually be the mastermind of the operation, but no. At the very least she has now been enabled by being gotten out of the arrest instead of having to face her own decisions. And how did the mom even know where daughter was? And the kid in the car was in no immediate danger of freezing--no one was bundled up for bitter cold--better to call PD. Not to mention how pissed PD would be that Fire totally screwed up their carefully planned raid on the house. Finally, my most nitpicky comment on this storyline: the addict's family lived in Bucktown but the street address on their house was 48XX--Bucktown stops at 3000 at its most northern tip, and does not go beyond 2400 on the west.

My theory is that Anna is either pregnant or just learned she had a relapse. I don't know if the actress is into the show for the long haul; if she is, Kelly will marry her as she will be pregnant; if not, she will make the heartwrenching decision not to tell Kelly she has relapsed.

I told Mr MML that no good deed will go unpunished for Gabby and Sylvie, and sure enough, they have to go through training again (which elicited a quick little squeal of pleasure from Sylvie--she is really very funny). Seriously, they should have let the trainee fail--he not only had contact with a victim, he caused harm to him. I thought sure Boden's evil superior was going to be the one in the meeting with them and he would again put House on probation or something.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

When Anna just ordered water, I figured "ok, she's pregnant."  But then she runs away and breaks up with him with no explanation?  I don't get it; that was very poorly done.  I liked her when they first introduced her and she was cracking jokes while so sick, but since she's recovered she's been a bore.  

Or she's on medication that she can't mix with alcohol.  You know, like transplant meds.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

My theory is that Anna is either pregnant or just learned she had a relapse. I don't know if the actress is into the show for the long haul; if she is, Kelly will marry her as she will be pregnant; if not, she will make the heartwrenching decision not to tell Kelly she has relapsed.

I think the relapse part is more plausible than her being pregnant. 

54 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Or she's on medication that she can't mix with alcohol.  You know, like transplant meds.

She could be on the meds, yeah but then she ran off and acted like the relationship wasn't going to work and left in a cab. 

I think something is going on with Anna that freaked her out. She went from giddy over the dinner and wanting to know about child Kelly, to late and freaked out.  I'm guessing she found out something during the day.

The principle blaming the parents for Herman's kid learning to take a knee at home was stupid. When they clearly pointed out it was the Colin Kaepernick effect.

This entire episode was beyond absurd!! I won't even comment on the Casey storyline because it was so awful in so many ways. 

I'm going with Anna is bipolar or has some kind of personality disorder. 

Reading this thread I think Anna relapsing is a possibility. She was clearly upset when she entered the restaurant and seemed emotional. I don't watch Chicago Med so I wasn't sure if she's on that show and whether or not something happened on there that I missed.

I found this episode really over the top and not in a good way.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Except that didn't we just see her drinking at Molly's last week? And that's a detail I don't expect a fictional show like this to pick up on or actually care about.  

Relapsing is a good guess. That could be a possibility. 

I'd rather have her relapsing than being pregnant because they had that storyline with Kelly before. But at the same time, WHY do they have to mess this up in any way? Just because this show is considered a 'drama' doesn't mean that we want all the characters to suffer in every possible way all the time. Wth?

10 hours ago, Artsda said:

I think something is going on with Anna that freaked her out. She went from giddy over the dinner and wanting to know about child Kelly, to late and freaked out.  I'm guessing she found out something during the day.

This seems plausible, as does a relapse/re-emergence of the cancer. I don't even wanna think about Dowel Jones's speculation. Gaah. (Maybe Kelly's marrow is giving her some of his personality traits and is making her act like an irresponsible douchebag? (Hey, it wouldn't be the most medically implausible thing this show has ever tried to put over.)

• Love 1
(edited)
Spoiler

The last thing I want is Kelly to be in some sort of unintentional  incest story ..ugh...though maybe they at least have not had sex. I don't want them to go there.   

As for pregnancy, if they have had sex, it would have been once she moved to Chicago, I believe. Has enough time passed in the show for a pregnancy to be detected? Or maybe someone else's baby

I'm going to go with a cancer relapse as my guess...my thought is she has been a bit rattled about possiblesymptoms  (which is why she seemed off in the hospital last episode), and now she has  confirmation about it being a relapse. I think she will push Kelly away but Kelly will found out and be there for her as she dies. Poor guy, can never find happiness 

Her angry sentiments at the end were about them being a terrible match though, and her rushing things.  Not sure which theory fits best with that

Edited by Jess24
25 minutes ago, Jess24 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm going to go with a cancer relapse as my guess...my thought is she has been a bit rattled about possiblesymptoms  (which is why she seemed off in the hospital last episode), and now she has  confirmation about it being a relapse. I think she will push Kelly away but Kelly will found out and be there for her as she dies. Poor guy, can never find happiness 

I can actually see this. I didn't think this storyline would last but I just thought she would stay in Springfield and Kelly would still be in Chicago and maybe never know that she dies from a relapse if this is the case. 

I don't like his dad either, he seems like a pushy jerk. 

• Love 1

I figured it was cancer relapse too,  I like Anna and enjoyed seeing Kelly in a stable relationship for a change.  That break-up was really abrupt so either there will be more to the story or it's incredibly bad writing. 

The whole Casey vs the Drug House bugged me on so many levels.  He's always been a do-gooder type of guy in a pleasant way but this was more in the vein of how Gabby works as she saves the day and performs miracles routinely.  I laughed out loud when the the boss man came in and assigned them to re-training.  Which, by the way is fairly routine in any medical type of profession-even for the perfect St. Gabby.  

Got really nothing to say about the pledge storyline.  I'm firmly pro-military and pro-country but it looked like they were just cashing in on an old headline that is yesterday's news.  No one cares anymore.

Nobody is going to enslave us or take away our freedoms.

In a perfect world, no, but I would never categorically make that statement.  

(edited)

I thought that something happen at work as well. Anna has mentioned in the last episode that she always went out with her Springfield girlfriends after a tough day at work and missed them. I think that Anna just wasn't ready for Benny after-hours irreverent joviality at that moment and it caused her to see Kelly, and Chicago, in a totally different light.

Maybe she just found out she's Benny's daughter from a stolen weekend long ago.

That idea sounded tele-novella absurd, until I remembered that Kelly and Anna were a perfect bone-marrow match. Anna does have Kelly's amazing eyes. That good news is that we have no confirmation that they ever slept together, thank you writers, for sparing us that image.

I loved that line from Benny's arm candy: "Is that (pediatrics) like a foot doctor?"  Reminds me of that Julie Brown song from the 80s (I'm a Blonde): "My goal is to be a veterinarian because I love children."

I love that line too and was reminded of an early dating-site ad, "I don't eat meat, I'm a veterinarian."

The actress playing Benny's arm-candy did delivered her lines well, what a thankless job.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1
On 4/6/2017 at 3:57 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Maybe she just found out she's Benny's daughter from a stolen weekend long ago.

God I never even thought about that but it makes me throw up in my mouth a little.  They absolutely WOULD  go there.  YUCK!

21 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

God I never even thought about that but it makes me throw up in my mouth a little.  They absolutely WOULD  go there.  YUCK!

I hate to say this, but I'm hoping for a cancer relapse if it means avoiding THAT, which would feel like (to me) a trashy daytime soap line  

Edited by Jess24
10 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Just for the record, so I don't get burned at the stake for suggesting it, that post was mostly in jest, referencing the absurdities of the old show Brothers and Sisters.

LOL! I hear ya, but even if you were kidding, I could see them going there.

The worst they could do imo (even worse than making them half siblings tbh) is make Anna leave just because she can't adjust. First of all, she supposedly  moved because the new job was much better and not so much because of Kelly. She's a full grown woman, I get that relocating is difficult but she was there for a very short amount of time to be so sure that she hates Chicago and everything. Plus, she at least had her uhm boyfriend-ish already, she certainly knew she would get to meet coworkers... If this is just her whining that she didn't make new besties in one month like those she had in her hometown, then well that is even more stupid that making them half siblings out of nowhere.

• Love 1