Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: The Audit

• Start Topic

With the crime rate lowered, Brooklyn will be shutting down one of its precincts – permanently. The Nine-Nine is confident they will be evaluated fairly, until the official auditor turns out to be Amy’s ex-boyfriend, Teddy. The whole squad then must band together to try to save the precinct.

I know it kind of sounds like a diss, but Gina in that neck brace and bolts was actually the funniest I ever found her, especially her attempt to "dance it off" in the cold opening.  And I'm glad she didn't magically save the day, because it was really Holt's idea to use her injuries to make that guy agree to fix the damages.

Hey, Teddy!  Fun seeing him again and Kyle Bornheimer again.  Of course he still isn't over Amy (I can't blame him!), but at least he didn't let it effect his audit.  But he was a nice obstacle for Amy and Jake to overcome.  I loved their fake/not fake fighting, and getting a better look into their relationship.  It really does seem like they are on great footing now, even if they both have quirks that annoy the other one.  And, hey, they agree that William Atherton is the second best Die Hard villain!  I respect that, although I would probably go with Jeremy Irons myself (and Timothy Olyphant had potential, if his character was better written.)

The B-plots was fun.  Of course, C.J. would splurge on some kind of fancy Japanese copier.  But I really loved how obvious it was that Holt was panicking, even if he spoke in his normal monotone.  And I like that he can actually be kind of a jerk, when he gets flustered, like making Boyle stay in the air vent (ha!), and agreeing with Boyle that it was Amy's fault for breaking up with Teddy like she did.  It fits with the character.  Although, I'm with him 100% on BRB.

As fun as Teddy's return was, I am so looking forward to vengeful Kimberly Herbert Gregory as Terry's ex.  She was awesome on Vice Principals, and is perfect at the whole "be nice to your face, but it is obvious that she hates your ass and wants to destroy you" art.  She could be a fun antagonist!

Welcome back, Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

I do love the lengths this show will go to to hide a pregnancy. And welcome back, 99!

It was weirdly more of a distraction than outright hiding. I thought it was particularly visible when she turned. I'm really crazy about the comedy of getting hit by a bus to start with.

Not the strongest episode with Boyle and Rosa not having much to do, and the Teddy plot didn't quite add up for me. He was so observant and on top of everything that it wouldn't make sense for him to not listen to the recording immediately.

I liked Jake and Amy's interactions. It was nice to see more of their relationship. Terry and the copier were fun too. Even though this won't go down as a favorite episode I am soooooo happy to have this show back!

• Love 2

Oh show, how I've missed you!   Gina was cracking me up throughout this episode.  The whole cast was on fire.  Jake and Amy are my favorite couple on television.  They're so fun to watch.  And Boyle!  So funny in his sexy feline costume with the rats.  I laughed when Holt shut the vent on him.  Teddy was great, as was the whole fake fight thing.  I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of stuff.   Oh, Terry!  Why couldn't you just keep it in your pants!   (Looking forward to seeing how the audit plays out. We never met his ex-girlfriend before, have we?)

• Love 4

Oh show, how I've missed you!   Gina was cracking me up throughout this episode.  The whole cast was on fire.  Jake and Amy are my favorite couple on television.  They're so fun to watch.  And Boyle!  So funny in his sexy feline costume with the rats.  I laughed when Holt shut the vent on him.  Teddy was great, as was the whole fake fight thing.  I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of stuff.   Oh, Terry!  Why couldn't you just keep it in your pants!   (Looking forward to seeing how the audit plays out. We never met his ex-girlfriend before, have we?)

I really enjoy Jake and Amy together, too, and they're a great example of how a show can put two characters in a relationship and NOT constantly add conflict due to quirkiness because what else is there to do with the characters now? You CAN have a dynamic and sustained relationship. I'm looking at you, New Girl / Nick and Jess.

• Love 5

Great having the show back!

Jake and Amy continue to be my favorite TV couple. Loved their fake fighting.

Also liked:

Gina trying to dance while wearing the halo and still in horrible pain.

Holt telling Terry he's never been more proud of him for fixing the copier. Then Terry reminding him he solved a lot of cases and Holt saying "Yet crime has continued."

Charles in the cat suit and saying "Keep it in your pants" to Amy and later Terry.

• Love 5

Let me get this straight... the precinct went two whole months without Gina, and they don't show us? Goddammit. She's still not funny.

Teddy is the auditor? Well of course he is. What job could be more suited to "the most boring man alive"? A man so boring that diet ginger ale will "make [him] all hyper". And so it's true, Amy's libido has endangered them all.

Her bitterness over how boring Teddy is was great. Only a woman who has nodded and smiled and pretended to listen to some really tedious nonsense could be that irritated by everything the guy says.

The jazz brunch thing was hilarious. Such a cringey, hipstery idea, that I'm sure can be found all over Brooklyn, and other trendy hotspots around the world.

"It's worse than it sounds. There was a jazz brunch involved." 

"Oh my god."

Jake and Amy continue to be perfect. The writers are deliberately avoiding stupid drama, while lampshading the trope with the 'ex-boyfriend returns and stirs things up' theme. But their scenes together are so warm and they clearly appreciate so much about one another. The "Pilsner-T-S-D", "Good one" exchange was a great example of it. The schemes they come up with to solve their problems don't get old, because they just work so well together.

The B-plot was more than a little thin, and relied mainly on a gag about Japanese technology and Boyle in a catsuit. But there were still a few laughs in it.

But now they have a storyline to take them through to the end of the season? The prospect of the precinct being closed and everyone being reassigned. I can live with that. It'll be better than the Pimento stuff from last season.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

The show has been gone so long I completely forgot about Gina getting hit by a bus. What a weird way to have ended mid-season, and then for it to turn out to be nothing but a sight gag. Still it's great to have the show back and I hope the long break  doesn't hurt ratings. It's always been sort of a bubble show to begin with. Loved the flashback of Terry getting blasted with copier toner.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Holt telling Terry he's never been more proud of him for fixing the copier. Then Terry reminding him he solved a lot of cases and Holt saying "Yet crime has continued."

I think that was my favorite line from the ep. Awesome.

I also loved when after Jake tells Amy that he's like a goldfish, etc., when Boyle comes in and says the exact same thing about him, Jake looks at Amy with this hilarious see-what-did-I-tell-you expression.

Teddy wearing the stupid hat at the jazz brunch was a great little visual. His new girlfriend seemed perfect for him. I'm sorry he treated her so badly, although it was funny as heck. His telling Amy he was still in love with her and then proposing -- twice! -- was fantastic. Such a boring, strange man.

I didn't particularly like Gina this ep (like in many) even wearing the halo device. I also didn't know/forgot that Chelsea was pregnant. Anyway, the one saving grace was how Holt used her powers to get the precinct fixed up.

I hope there'll be more to come of Gina's secret pledge to have her revenge on all buses.

• Love 4

Hey, I've been to a jazz brunch before! Its fun! Its Jazz AND Brunch, two great things that go well together! Its like that brewery near me that has yoga classes/beer tastings on Sundays!

Oh show, its been WAY too long! Jake and Amy are still adorable and one of my favorite couples on the show. They just totally accept each others quirks, and while they might find them a little annoying, they also find them endearing. Its just really impressive how they decided to actually resolve the Will They or Wont They plot so quickly and have kept the main couple together in a way that's natural, and still allows for lots of laughs.

"This is the most proud I've ever been of you." "Well I've solved several crime..." "yet crime has continued"

"Those rats know no fear or pain!"

• Love 8

But were they scatting about brunch? *Shudder!

I was hoping there'd be something more to Gina getting hit by the Bus because it was so WTF. That said, they utilized it well here. I loved that her mediation tape was her own voice. And of course the dancing in the beginning amid the cries of pain.

Amy was pretty on point this episode. I think they've rescued her character from where it was at the end of last season playing up her brown-nozing tendencies as it struggled to find the right Jake-Amy balance. The last episode before break and this one really showed how well they work together while also being partners in their personal lives.

Terry sure has lived in a lot of international countries. Terry loves foreign culture!

• Love 2

I also loved when after Jake tells Amy that he's like a goldfish, etc., when Boyle comes in and says the exact same thing about him, Jake looks at Amy with this hilarious see-what-did-I-tell-you expression.

It's both endearing and creepy that Boyle knows Jake better than Amy does. 

Ugh, the ratings for this were abysmal. I don't know why they pull shows off the air for months and months like this, it destroys any chance of momentum. I know of no show that benefits from this practice, and I can't imagine what networks are thinking.

• Love 5

My thoughts are similar to everyone else's, and strangely, Jake and Amy are growing on me.  I was ambivalent to the pairing up till now because their dynamic has nothing to do with why I tune it, but I'm liking them, which means the relationship will crash and burn soon, now that I am beginning to become invested in them. 

I just wanted to give a DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! To Fox (heck all the networks) for giving shows lengthy times off, and not doing enough to promote the return of the show.  the end result is low ratings on the return, something that our beloved Nine Nine can't afford because it is not a ratings juggernaut to begin with. Yes, in some ways what we have now is better than the days of infinite repeats that might cause people to tire of a show, but at least those repeats were reminders of the show.  I saw one promo literally the day of the return.  Lucky for me, I have the show saved on my DVR.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The jazz brunch thing was hilarious. Such a cringey, hipstery idea, that I'm sure can be found all over Brooklyn, and other trendy hotspots around the world

Really it's hip? My grandmother used to go to Jazz brunch in the early 80s.

Yes, in some ways what we have now is better than the days of infinite repeats that might cause people to tire of a show, but at least those repeats were reminders of the show.  I saw one promo literally the day of the return.  Lucky for me, I have the show saved on my DVR.

The thing is, they don't break a season in half like this because there aren't enough episodes. They do it to promote another show, in this case "The Mick." The thinking (if you can call it that) is that B99 viewers will tune in at the normal time and watch The Mick instead, just because they're in the habit of watching a show on that network at that time. It's dumb, but I'm sure there's some sort of market research telling them it works. 

This time they really screwed the pooch because they brought B99 back in New Girl's time slot, so everyone who watched New Girl knew it was over and weren't likely to tune in to find it.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, iMonrey said:

The show has been gone so long I completely forgot about Gina getting hit by a bus. What a weird way to have ended mid-season, and then for it to turn out to be nothing but a sight gag.

Me too, but at least the writers made it work.  The gag was actually useful seeing as how Captain Holt needed to have the 99th Precinct fixed.

I loved his comment about "BRB".  The same could be said about "LOL".

I hope this show is renewed.  That unnecessary, lengthy break might just kill this show.  It's like FOX just doesn't care.

I wish I enjoyed it as much as everyone else seems to have, but as great as it was to see the characters again, the episode felt off--way too over-the-top and hyperactive, as though all the writers and actors were pounding energy drinks 24/7 during its production. I just checked the writing credits, and wasn't surprised to find this was the writer's first credited script for the show. It felt like it. There was a lot of funny stuff, but most of it felt like the show was dialed up about 200%, to the point where it was really shrill. Charles dousing his kid with wolf pee and getting stuck in the vent wearing the cat suit, and they were just going to leave him there for several days...  Sigh. Holt chiming in that Amy should have kept it in her pants? Yeah...not seeing it. Way too out of character.

And yet another enemy who's out to destroy them? Double sigh.

I rewatched the first half of the season multiple times over the hiatus, but this one just made me cringe. A lot.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

I wish I enjoyed it as much as everyone else seems to have, but as great as it was to see the characters again, the episode felt off--way too over-the-top and hyperactive, as though all the writers and actors were pounding energy drinks 24/7 during its production. I just checked the writing credits, and wasn't surprised to find this was the writer's first credited script for the show. It felt like it. There was a lot of funny stuff, but most of it felt like the show was dialed up about 200%, to the point where it was really shrill. Charles dousing his kid with wolf pee and getting stuck in the vent wearing the cat suit, and they were just going to leave him there for several days...  Sigh. Holt chiming in that Amy should have kept it in her pants? Yeah...not seeing it. Way too out of character.

And yet another enemy who's out to destroy them? Double sigh.

I rewatched the first half of the season multiple times over the hiatus, but this one just made me cringe. A lot.

I didn't enjoy it. It did feel off. I was bored and fast-forwarded through most of the Teddy stuff.