Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: A Wondrous Place

• Start Topic

When Hook finds himself trapped in another realm along with the Nautilus and her crew, he races to return to Emma before Gideon can execute the rest of his plan. In Storybrooke, Regina and Snow take Emma out to get her mind off Hook's disappearance. And in a flashback to Agrabah, Jasmine befriends Ariel, and together they set out to locate Prince Eric as the threat from Jafar intensifies.

• Love 1

OK, I guess I have composed my thoughts in the following order: the good, the bad and the ugly.

I was happy to see a scene between Charming and Emma – I love their relationship and the way he holds her when he gives her a hug.

I had a hard time maintaining interest in the Agrabah story line, especially as so many episodes had passed since we last saw Aladdin and Jasmine.   Watching Hook yelling and wallowing in frustration is not entertaining to me.  Jafar acts like a sexual predator and wants to marry Jasmine?  Eww.  If he is so magically powerful why didn’t he just kill Jasmine, take the ring and destroy Agrabah in the first place?  The only bright spot is Ariel, who I love watching in any story line.  But overall, even True Love’s Kiss couldn’t save this story for me.

A new pub complete with Vikings?  Great, I hope to see it again in future.  But Regina, please, stop trying to perform psychotherapy on Emma – so awkward.  On a shallow note, I liked Regina’s new hairstyle.  But I am very angry with costumes and makeup: why are they making Emma so unattractive?  Emma looks tired and ill.  And that plaid coat is tragic! I miss season one Emma.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's really hard not to see the Captain Swan drama as one-sided. Hook was risking his life out of determination to get back to Emma. Meanwhile, Emma, who thinks its out of character for Hook to just run away permanently, gives up on him and says "I need to move on." If it wasn't typical of him to leave like that, why didn't she think he might be in danger or something? Ms. Abandonment Issues wants Hook to trust her enough to believe she wouldn't turn on him over a lie, but she doesn't trust him enough to come back? Talk about double standards. Hook definitely had issues, but he was trying to fix it. She just gave up.

* "He didn't have the guts to tell me"? Charming, Hook witnessed you about to kill a man over the death of your father. Do you honestly expected him to feel good about being upfront with you about it?
* While it's always nice to see Ariel, there wasn't much reason for her to be there. 
* Okay, I'm confused. How did Ariel have legs and a voice in Agrabah? I'm pretty sure they explained it in dialogue, but I couldn't tell what was said.
* When Jafar poofed up as a genie, I didn't recognize him. I laughed because I thought he was some random dude they found by mistake, lol.
* Genie!Jafar was funny. He dropped the elegance act and went all Nottingham.
* I didn't like Jasmine. She was too whiny and I didn't care about her or her kingdom.
* Aladdin was even blander than Neal.
* Was Drunk!Snow throwing knives with the Vikings supposed to be funny?

Well that episode was a waste of time. Much like the rest of S6. On the bright side, we're finally done with Jaladdin.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 15
Just now, KingOfHearts said:

* Okay, I'm confused. How did Ariel have legs and a voice in Agrabah? I'm pretty sure they explained it in dialogue, but I couldn't tell what was said.

She had a magic necklace

• Love 3
(edited)

This one was very disjointed. I couldn't really invest in anything because we were jumping back and forth from three separate plots.

I was kinda bored. The Emma sneak peak did annoy me, but now I know the only reason she was packing Hook's things was so that she could hear the "shellphone." Stupid writing but par for the course with this show.

I liked seeing Ariel. Charming's "I just woke up" made me smile but also made me mad because, again, stupid writing.

Don't know how Snow has a toddler at home. Pretty sure that baby is only a couple months old.

Jafar was fine, but I would have preferred to see him in SB with the regular crew.

They are painfully drawing out the Gideon plot. Hoping Emma has more focus next week.

Forgot to add: I wanted to see Hook gut a kraken. Maybe next time?

Edited by AmeliaBedelia
  • Love 5
(edited)

Let as all weep for the wasted potential that was not making Jafar this season's Big Bad.  Seriously, Oded was PHENOMENAL in this one.

I especially loved how much more noticeably unhinged his genie!Jafar was.  It's a logical continuation to his total freak-out at the end of OUATIW.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 18

This episode just made me angry.  I get it, they want Hook to go on an Odyssey type adventure before getting back to Emma but it makes no sense?!  Why does Hook have to be trapped in another realm for Emma to kill the Black Fairy?  Why can't Rumple, with the power of 1000 Dark Ones essentially put his son in the corner?

Great Jasmine and Alladin TLK'd, add them to the list of literally everyone else on this show who have true love kissed with the glaring exception of Hook and Emma.

What was Snow wearing at the bar?  Not flattering!

This storyline is infuriating because Emma literally handed the ring back yesterday so essentially Hook's been gone for a day.  Perhaps instead of going straight to abandonment she might wonder why he's left his flask and all of his other possessions that he's had for 100's of years behind?  Great cop skills, even better that she was taking his things out of the house after 24 hours. WTH!

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, AmeliaBedelia said:

Forgot to add: I wanted to see Hook gut a kraken. Maybe next time?

In my boredom while watching the episode I came up with a different plot line.  The Kraken was innocently minding its business, swimming along when the Nautilus arrives to hunt it down for its blood.  In its fear it reached out for help from Jasmine and Aladdin, who misinterpreted its tentacled cry for help and began beating it up.  It then retreated feeling sad, lonely and misunderstood. Poor Kraken!

• Love 14

This episode was kind of dumb (and I couldn't follow the timeline because I couldn't remember how things fit into the Agrabah story and Ariel's story), but I kind of enjoyed it nonetheless.  We got fabulous genie Jafar, adorable Ariel on a flying carpet, and drunk Snow White throwing knives.  Plus, on the plot side, Hook and Emma have reconciled (at least, Emma has) and Gideon's goal now makes slightly more sense (trying to get Emma to help him instead of killing her for ??reasons?? -- even though he's totally going about it the wrong way).

Or maybe the last couple episodes were just so bad my expectations for this show have been completely nuked?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Genie Jafar was fun. I would so rather have him be the big bad than Rumbelle's spawn.

In another world with better writers, Jasmine and Ariel teaming up would have been super awesome.

Jasmine the cartoon character was always great.

Karen David is  lovely and incredibly talented.

OUaT Jasmine is horrific, obnoxious, and boring.  TS,TW.

(And considering how much they lucked out when they cast Ariel . . .)

(The highlight of the episode for me was when Jafar told her she was vain and shot her down.)

• Love 7
(edited)
15 minutes ago, AmeliaBedelia said:

Don't know how Snow has a toddler at home. Pretty sure that baby is only a couple months old.

And is being "watched" by a parent under a sleeping curse. That sounds responsible. *eye roll*

I'm trying really hard to hand wave the people thinking Hook is a bad guy for leaving. The fact that he "left" without saying a word seems drastic, which may be why Emma expected the worst. Plus, she gave him his ring back the last time she saw him. Perhaps there's some guilt on her part blocking her ability to think clearly. But it definitely was a bit out of character for quite a few people to doubt him.

And I seriously yelled "What the fuck? Are you kidding me?" at my television after that Jasmine/Aladdin TLK. Still none for Captain Swan but you're giving one Jaladdin? Grrr.

BUT OHHHH! Killian Jones! You sweet angsty prince saving this damn episode like a fucking rock star hero! That shot of Killian popping out of the Nautilus to find Jasmine and Aladdin was awesome. Then add to it his frustrated matchmaker, the little moment with Nemo and his brother, Ariel welcoming him with a hug and calling him a hero. I'm here for all those things. And his shell phone call to Emma! Dammit. Heartbreaking and amazing and delicious and angsty and just....guh. You could tell that Jane Espenson was responsible for the Hook stuff and it saved the episode for me. If they do the reboot/reset next season, I just want a whole show about Captain Hook with Jane writing all the episodes.

8 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

What was Snow wearing at the bar?  Not flattering!

They've been doing that since Ginny got pregnant the first time and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. I know she gained a few pounds after being a mom, but it's like the costume department doesn't know how to dress a normal woman so they just toss a frumpy potato sack on her and call it a day.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 9

The laziness of the writing for this show is just astonishing.  If they needed Emma to move on so quickly why not have Gideon forge a note from Killian saying he is leaving?  It least then Emma doesn't look like a total dumb ass who has no faith in a guy she is supposed to love and trust.   Hell she could have even cried on the note so he could get her tears.  Of course that would mean we missed yet another instance of Snow White - worst mother ever. 

I think the show has broken me because at this point I sort of feel Killian is better off away from Storybrooke considering all of the faith that was shown in him by the lovely townspeople. 

Still waiting for Rumple and Belle to warn Emma about the spawn.  He is their little psycho - perhaps they should step up and try and do something about him rather than letting him wander free.   I would say they are the worst parents on the show - but Snow is a hard women to beat in this category. 

• Love 5

The Agrabah stuff was a bit boring, and could have been done in half the time that was allotted to it.  But it was great to see Ariel.

Agrabah in the ring made me think of Men In Black.  "The galaxy is on Orion (the cat's) belt." 

Sleeping curse and responsibilities aside...drunk Snow was kinda funny.   And David's "But I just woke up" - HA!

I can at least sleep easy tonight, knowing that Emma heard Hook on the cell shell phone.    Sigh. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Show was trying too hard to be funny this week but I guess that is better than the alternative which usually leaves me ticked off.  I liked:

• the opening Charming and Emma scene
  • Blotto Snow challenging Vikings to knife throwing.
  • that Hook was in a mood all episode.
  • that despite Hook being in a mood that Jasmine and Alladin wouldn't stop asking him for relationship advice.
  • when Eric turned up and then it was revealed that he was Jafar because Ariel can seriously not keep track of her prince.
  • the corny shell phone joke.
Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

Well that explains the BTS photo and info of Giles and that actor Thomas Cadrot. They were both playing the same character Gideon, only Thomas was used for Gideon to appear in a different form to fool Emma.

The only good thing about this episode was how grumpy Hook was to see those dimbulbs Jasmine and Aladdin.

Well and that Emma heard Hook saying that he didn't mean to leave and was trying to get back.

Snow getting after the Vikings for not paying and challenging them to a dartboard duel was one of the few in-character things they let her do in Storybrooke.

Other than that, I was so bored.  It's getting to where if you've watched one episode of this show, you've watched them all.  It's all a retread with the scenes cut and pasted in a slightly different order, perhaps, but basically all the same.

Why did Gideon change his strategy so much - instead of killing Emma and taking her "savior" status, now he wants her to just kill the Dark Fairy directly?  That was annoying because obviously that should have been what he was trying to do from the beginning, but now he just changes his mind with no character-driven reason to do so.  Obviously he started out trying to kill Emma so the writers could give us premonitions of Emma being threatened by an evil hooded figure.  So stupid.

I expected Scotty from Star Trek to come out and say, "But we don't have any more dilithium crystals - I mean Kraken blood!"

• Love 5

Killian Jones deserves better than Emma Swan and the Charmings. That is all. 

I love Ariel, but it is driving me nuts that she is always looking for him. It would be nice, just for once (especially because they clearly got the actor for Eric) - to have some FairyBacks alluding to the fact that Eric was indeed looking for Ariel or wondering why she didn't show up. Just one. (I know they ended up HEA, but still. show me his struggle)

Thanks for totally making Aladdin + Jasmine boring, Show. and yes. once again. True Love's Kiss. Totally NOT rare anymore. 

Blotto Snow was fun. Ginny needs to grow her hair a touch. just a touch. 

• Love 7

I had really mixed feelings about this one. In a way, it encapsulates this series -- some bits of potential, mostly wasted, and ultimately anticlimactic.

I love, love, love this version of Ariel. She's one of the few characters on this show who manages to not only perfectly capture the essence of the animated version, but also be an improvement. I'm iffy on the retconning here, with the miraculous necklace that gave her legs and a voice after Regina took her voice. I loved that she was the one who had Jafar's urn in her collection of scavenged junk.

I'm still not super keen on this version of Aladdin and Jasmine. She had moments that gave me flashbacks to Princess Isabella, and then she'd go back to dithering and whining.

I hope this isn't the last of Nemo and Liam 2.0. Were they really going to go back on board to go down with the ship? Or were they trying to fix it, and Hook was just too impatient? It's interesting that Hook got more affection from the brother who hated him not long ago and a more joyous greeting from Ariel than he did from everyone but Emma and David when he returned from the dead.

I rather enjoyed drunk Snow letting her hair down and throwing knives with Vikings. I just wish it had been in a different episode. It seemed out of place here, when she was supposedly consoling her daughter.

I was really waiting for Emma to have a realization while looking at Hook's stuff, or maybe later while talking to the bartender. You'd think that Liam's ring, the spyglass, and the flask would have been like Ben Sisko's baseball, the "I'll be back" message. He wouldn't leave for good and leave those things behind. Really, aside from the sentiment about the ring, if he's going off to sea, wouldn't he have taken his spyglass?  This really is one of those bad Harlequin/Hallmark movie "misunderstanding" conflicts, where she jumps to the worst possible conclusion about him, and I guess all will be well now that she knows he didn't leave her on purpose, but they'll never address how little faith she has in him or how quickly she gave up on him.

• Love 7

I thought for sure that Liam's ring would cause Emma to realize that Hook would never leave it behind. The shellphone was interesting, but less organic. I too was frustrated at Emma for giving up so easily on Hook without asking any questions.  Gideon is still out there,  so why wouldn't he attempt to use Hook against her in some way?

I love Karen David and her portrayal of Jasmine! I also liked her friendship with Ariel as part of the plot. I didn't really feel the chemistry with Aladdin, though.  And OF COURSE they got a TLK too!

I'm really ready for the separation/angst/pain of Killian and Emma to end.  I would love to see more of Emma too.

• Love 3

I feel like I've set my expectations so low this season that I don't really know how to go about evaluating an episode anymore. I don't think there was anything in this one that made me feel super ragey so...yay?

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, Worsel said:

why are they making Emma so unattractive?  Emma looks tired and ill.  And that plaid coat is tragic! I miss season one Emma.

She's been looking washed out since the Queens of Darkness storyline.

I was pretty bored with this episode.

3 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was pretty bored with this episode.

She was washed out for the queens of darkness storyline.  But last year with the exception of being Darkswan she also looked tired and ill.  I think they're going for a more natural look with her makeup but Jen also seems to be constantly traveling and that really wears on someone.

So I haven’t been watching the show live this half (or at all for some eps), but I decided to watch tonight as I love Hook adventures and I really like Ariel. All in all, I was pretty disappointed. The writing for Emma in this episode was just a mess. She’s giving up on her true love after he’s been gone for ONE day? And she has no faith in him and thinks he doesn’t love her anymore? I recall in an interview JMo said that Emma’s superpower kicks in and she can tell something doesn’t feel right. Uh – no, nothing like that happened. She thought the worst of him for the entire episode and not one person thought to stick up for him? Wow Hook, are you sure you want to marry into this family?

Ariel was, as always, cute & spunky, but her presence in both the flashback and the present story felt very forced. As for the Jasmine/Aladdin story, it started out fine, but then they spent WAY too much time on it. Sorry, I’m just not someone that’s here for guest stars sucking up time. I also can’t figure out how Jasmine’s story related to anything else that happened in the episode. And don’t even get me started on A&J getting a TLK before Emma & Hook.

Finally, this multi-episode plot for Hook makes absolutely no sense. Why do they need Hook off on his own for several episodes? It’s not like he’s off finding a cure for Snowing to make amends, or doing something that will ultimately help Emma defeat Gideon. He’s separated for no reason at all. It’s like lying and separations have become the hallmarks of Hook & Emma’s epic romance. UGH.

• Love 7
(edited)

She was washed out for the queens of darkness storyline.  But last year with the exception of being Darkswan she also looked tired and ill.  I think they're going for a more natural look with her makeup but Jen also seems to be constantly traveling and that really wears on someone.

I'm happy to know other people have noticed this. She has looked like she had a cold since 4B.

The writing for Emma in this episode was just a mess. She’s giving up on her true love after he’s been gone for ONE day? And she has no faith in him and thinks he doesn’t love her anymore? I recall in an interview JMo said that Emma’s superpower kicks in and she can tell something doesn’t feel right. Uh – no, nothing like that happened. She thought the worst of him for the entire episode and not one person thought to stick up for him? Wow Hook, are you sure you want to marry into this family?

Emma also didn't think anything was wrong with Hook in 4A until the very last episode. Her instincts are not that dependable. Back in S1, when Kathryn went missing, David went all berserk. Then she said something like, "Calm down. It hasn't been 24 hours yet. She's not even technically missing yet." Apples and oranges, but I thought that was kind of funny.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Well Charming was finally told that Hook was his father's killer by Emma only. Still he seemed very angry at him for it and especially how he lied to him and didn't come to him first.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

It’s like lying and separations have become the hallmarks of Hook & Emma’s epic romance. UGH.

To be fair, Snowing, RB and OQ are exactly the same.  Lying and separations are the only drama these writers are capable of writing for couples.

I have more to say, but all I can think right now is good god Henry you are such a lazy piece of fish.

I'm headcanoning that Henry's the only one with any faith in Hook after 6x06, and he was too lazy to carry out his stuff on purpose.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Finally, this multi-episode plot for Hook makes absolutely no sense. Why do they need Hook off on his own for several episodes? It’s not like he’s off finding a cure for Snowing to make amends, or doing something that will ultimately help Emma defeat Gideon.

I'm really hoping part of his trip to Neverland means there's some cure for the sleeping curse there. Maybe the water from that spring that saved David from the dream shade could be used for the curse.

1 minute ago, Curio said:

Also, where's my Ariel/Hook slap?!

They hugged it out so I'm OK with that. Hook needs a new "bro" now that David doesn't like him.

And from a post-show EW interview...

While Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin) was all too happy to take Emma out for a night of drinking — Drunk Snow, for the win — to commiserate Hook’s disappearance, Snow also understands. “To a fault, Snow gives everyone the benefit of the doubt, and obviously is obsessed with the idea that people can change, so it’s not something that she would hold against Hook,” Goodwin says.

What? Where the hell was that in this episode? I guess we're supposed to infer that's how Snow feels by the way she gets drunk and plays darts with Vikings because I did not see that at all.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm headcanoning that Henry's the only one with any faith in Hook after 6x06, and he was too lazy to carry out his stuff on purpose.

Okay, I can get on board with this headcanon. And the whole reason Henry looked so disinterested in Emma putting away Hook's things is because he was treating the situation like a normal person. "Oh, he's been gone for only 12 hours? Whatever, I'll just listen to my music. No reason to panic here." I take back what I said, Henry. Kudos to you.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, Curio said:

Okay, I can get on board with this headcanon. And the whole reason Henry looked so disinterested in Emma putting away Hook's things is because he was treating the situation like a normal person. "Oh, he's been gone for only 12 hours? Whatever, I'll just listen to my music. No reason to panic here." I take back what I said, Henry. Kudos to you.

I think Henry might've saved the day...by being a lazy teenager.  Again, all of Hook's possessions were at the house including his flask which he always has on his person. Perhaps Emma should've thought something was wrong before metaphorically tossing his clothes out on the lawn?

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, sharky said:

They hugged it out so I'm OK with that. Hook needs a new "bro" now that David doesn't like him.

I like that Hook and Ariel are friendly, but I still wanted a scene where Ariel slapped him for the Robert situation. 

Hook: Ariel!?
Ariel: Hook!
(They hug.)
Ariel: What are you doing here? You seem upset, what's wrong?
Hook: Yes, well, I've been separated from Emma and her family and I really need to get back to apologize and...
Ariel: Apologize for what?
Hook: Long story short, I killed David's father but didn't tell Emma and then I proposed without telling her and...
(Slap!)
Hook: I really should have seen that coming.
Ariel: Sorry, it's kind of a reflex when I'm around you.

Like, seriously, writers. You have Disney's Ariel, Jasmine, and Captain Hook, and this is the episode you churn out? You make them say melodramatic lines and barely have any comedy or lighthearted moments?

• Love 9

Well, that was...boring. I was actually annoyed at every scene between Aladdin and Jasmine, because I didn't want to be watching it. I felt like I was grasping at the scenes in the police station, at the bar, even Emma's house with lazy ass Henry. I want to see the main characters, I don't know why it should feel like a treat when they're on screen.

I did love Aesop's Tables. Drunk Snow is cute, even though she was supposed to be supporting Emma and ended up playing knife darts. I also enjoyed Regina trying to get Emma to open up. It was nice to see her trying to be a normal friend, but awkward in the execution.

So glad the Agrabah storyline is done. 

• Love 1

I feel like a lot of this was character assassination for Emma, for her to know the meaning of that ring, sit and look at it for so long, and never once pause and think, "He wouldn't have willingly left for good without this." For her to tell the bartender that she guessed he just didn't love her, when the guy has literally died (multiple times) for her and when she was the one to give the ring back and basically tell him she didn't want to talk to him (which she actually repeated in describing the situation to David). If he didn't love her, none of this would have been an issue. He wouldn't have cared whether he was destroying her happiness by telling her his secret, he wouldn't have cared about whether he could face her parents. He wouldn't have felt a need to leave town. As fast as she gave up on him and needed more concrete proof than all of his prized possessions still sitting in her house, it looks more like she's the one who never really loved him.

I still don't get what Gideon's plan was, either. I guess he was holding Hook hostage to get her cooperation? Couldn't he have done that with Hook in town? It seems like a pretty extreme action in order to get her to cooperate and get her tears.

I did love Ariel on the flying carpet. We need more moments like that and less contrived angst. Oh, and we got to see Hook navigating!

• Love 6

Oh wow...called it a while ago (in one of my crackpot theories) that Gideon was blackmailing Emma or had some hold over her to make her go with him...and i was right...!

Totally agree...immediate loss of faith in the guy that wouldn't leave even after the truly vicious things she said to him in 4b..AND everything else he's done....complete character assassination of Emma..

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Agree...immediate loss of faith in the guy that wouldn't leave even after the truly vicious things she said to him in 4b..AND everything else he's done....complete character assassination of Emma..

Whatever happened to, "I will find you, Hook. I will always find you." If this is the same Emma, I'm surprised she went to the trouble of going to the Underworld to get him back.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, OnceUponAJen said:

Whatever happened to, "I will find you, Hook. I will always find you." If this is the same Emma, I'm surprised she went to the trouble of going to the Underworld to get him back.

I feel like they need to flip Season 5 and 6 around. 

28 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I feel like a lot of this was character assassination for Emma, for her to know the meaning of that ring, sit and look at it for so long, and never once pause and think, "He wouldn't have willingly left for good without this." For her to tell the bartender that she guessed he just didn't love her, when the guy has literally died (multiple times) for her and when she was the one to give the ring back and basically tell him she didn't want to talk to him (which she actually repeated in describing the situation to David). If he didn't love her, none of this would have been an issue. He wouldn't have cared whether he was destroying her happiness by telling her his secret, he wouldn't have cared about whether he could face her parents. He wouldn't have felt a need to leave town. As fast as she gave up on him and needed more concrete proof than all of his prized possessions still sitting in her house, it looks more like she's the one who never really loved him. 

There's also the fact that the Jolly Roger is still in town. Did Emma really think he'd take off for good without the Jolly? Also, Hook was gone for 24 hours! For all Emma knew, Hook could have gone on a fishing trip with Nemo to get some advice, come back the next day, and then find his stuff gone. "Bloody hell, why are my things in the shed?" "I thought you abandoned me!" "Emma, I was only gone for a day..." "Why didn't you leave a message? I thought you didn't love me anymore!" "I was only gone for a day. You even said we shouldn't talk!"

Edited by Curio
  • Love 11

I actually liked this episode a lot. I like Aladdin and Jasmine and was excited to see them return. Having Ariel on screen is always fun and I enjoyed her interactions with the group. I do wish the focus was more on getting Killian to Storybrooke than on getting Agrabah back, but it is called a Wondrous Place so I'm not that surprised. I thought the flashback was good, but wished that we could have seen the real Eric. I thought drunk Snow was really funny and I was not surprised when the bartender turned out to be Gideon. Speaking of Gideon, he now wants Emma to kill the Black Fairy, which is better than trying to kill her. I wish they would have meant more time on Emma and have her come to the realization that Killian didn't leave her instead of Killian telling her through the shell.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aladdin's still a total fail of a character, but I might be alone in actually liking Jasmine in this episode.  Karen David had much more to work with.

I feel that all of her angst over Agrabah was made more understandable when we know that it wasn't just a case of her not being strong enough to defeat Jafar, but that she literally handed the guy the thing that made it disappear.  And admit it, her suckerpunch defeat of Jafar was badass.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 3
(edited)

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I actually don't mind this Aladdin. He definitely hasn't done a whole lot, but that's true of most of the characters these days. I feel like he's got a bit of a personality at least and I do like the actor. I also kind of like that Jasmine ended up playing more of the hero role than Aladdin--a bit of a gender role reversal there. Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie and obviously this show hasn't come close to doing it justice, but that's par for the course.

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mathius said:

Let as all weep for the wasted potential that was not making Jafar this season's Big Bad.  Seriously, Oded was PHENOMENAL in this one.

I especially loved how much more noticeably unhinged his genie!Jafar was.  It's a logical continuation to his total freak-out at the end of OUATIW.

8 minutes ago, Mathius said:

Aladdin's still a total fail of a character, but I might be alone in actually liking Jasmine in this episode.  Karen David had much more to work with.

I feel that all of her angst over Agrabah was made more understandable when we know that it wasn't just a case of her not being strong enough to defeat Jafar, but that she literally handed the guy the thing that made it disappear.  And admit it, her suckerpunch defeat of Jafar was badass.

I think Karen, Oded, Joanna, Colin, and the Nemo actor all did a great job with very weak and frankly mingboggingly-nonsensical writing.  It's clear the writers never gave a crap about the Aladdin story, and wanted to wrap it up quickly so they just random plot twists out of their asses.  

I loved Snow challenging the vikings to darts err knives.

I have no idea who Jenn and Lana were playing tonight.  

And I still have zero fucks to give about any and all Stiltkins.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I have no idea who Jenn and Lana were playing tonight.  

I feel you on this one. I've complained in the past about the Emma/Regina "friendship", so I do appreciate that at least Regina was making an effort to support Emma, but their interactions were all kinds of awkward and stilted in this episode.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I still don't get what Gideon's plan was, either. I guess he was holding Hook hostage to get her cooperation? Couldn't he have done that with Hook in town? It seems like a pretty extreme action in order to get her to cooperate and get her tears.

None of Gideon's plans make any sense.  He needed the Savior's tears so she wouldn't be able to communicate with Hook?  Did I hear that right?  So if Hook hadn't managed to get a shell phone and through unbelievable luck have Emma go through all his stuff and depositing it outside at that precise moment he called, what would Gideion have done?  I guess he would have come over and confessed all.

• Love 4
(edited)

I noticed at 8:02pm that on my PVR, there was only 1 red light... there's supposed to be 2 when two shows are recording.

I turned it on and lo-and-behold, "Once" wasn't taping.  So I pressed record manually.  I really don't understand... I'm not used to using a PVR yet, but it's so erratic.

Could someone give a description of how the episode started?  I feel like I'm watching it incomplete even though it was only 2 minutes.

When I turned it on, Aladdin and Jasmine were walking along a forest path talking about how they were deposited in a field in the Enchanted Forest, and arguing about finding Agrabah - again.  Their bickering voices were so irritating to listen to.   All I heard was blah blah blah blah blah blah, but I got the gist... Aladdin wanted to go back to Storybrooke.  I was wondering if I would miss them after so long, and clearly, no.  

I watched the next flashback with Jafar and the table of suitors too, but really, the "spark" wasn't there.  What a shame.  I guess I'll wait 20 minutes, so I can fast-forward through the commercials.

Edited by Camera One
1 minute ago, Camera One said:

Could someone give a description of how the episode started?  I feel like I'm watching it incomplete even though it was only 2 minutes.

I can't quite remember what order the events came in, but I seem to recall that we started with a scene in the loft with Emma and David, where she's apparently just told him about Hook murdering his father, he's mad and kind of upset that Hook didn't tell him, and she tells him that Hook left town, that Grumpy (?) saw him getting on the Nautilus, and now he's gone for good, he just gave up, she's bummed, they're disappointed in Hook. Then we cut to Hook on the Nautilus in that scene from the sneak preview, where he's freaking out, demanding to be brought back, and declaring that they're going to go Kraken hunting so he can get home. And then we get Aladdin and Jasmine walking in the woods. Maybe. Or possibly in a different order, but I'm pretty sure the Hook scene came immediately after the loft scene.

48 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

For her to tell the bartender that she guessed he just didn't love her, when the guy has literally died (multiple times) for her and when she was the one to give the ring back and basically tell him she didn't want to talk to him (which she actually repeated in describing the situation to David).

Actually Hook didn't die multiple times. What happened in the world Isaac made (before it was undone by Author Henry) wasn't real, And Hook was dying (not dead) before he was turned into the thing he hates the most, and also the elevator scene didn't count cause he was already dead. Let's say he died only once.

3 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm pretty sure the Hook scene came immediately after the loft scene.

It did come after the loft scene. Just to let you know.