Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: A Wondrous Place

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Since the Dark Curse was nearly impossible, he could spend a century or so laying the groundwork, telling himself that whole time he was working on it and doing everything he could, but without the risk of actually having to do it.

It's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Since Rumple knew he would eventually be reunited with this son because of the Seer's prophecy, he could take as much time as he wanted. He knew Bae wouldn't be dead even after he escaped Neverland. He had complete control of the timeframe because it was an inevitable event.

I guess Rumple would've had to see Henry in the future too, since "a boy will lead you to him" sounds a lot different from "I'll have Regina cast a curse that will last for 28 years".

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

That's one of my "bad romantic comedy" pet peeves, where there's a big misunderstanding in which one member of a couple leaps to the absolutely worst wrong conclusion about the other member of the couple, then when she finds out the truth, all is forgiven, but it's never mentioned that he might have cause to wonder about her feelings if she was so eager to believe the worst about him and didn't trust him.

I can't even get mad at Emma for her lack of trust, because it's so dumb and plot-pointy. Terrible character work. I know she has abandonment issues and WALLS and whatever, but she's not that stupid, she's not that callous, and she's not that bad at reading people. Emma and Hook had been through too much at that point in time for her to believe he'd just walk out. I mean, the Underworld stuff ALONE.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

It's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Since Rumple knew he would eventually be reunited with this son because of the Seer's prophecy, he could take as much time as he wanted. He knew Bae wouldn't be dead even after he escaped Neverland. He had complete control of the timeframe because it was an inevitable event.

This is another one of those cases of them not knowing how to deal with prophecy in fiction. Prophecies only become interesting when there's a twist -- it doesn't mean what you think it means, the person misinterprets it and gets overly confident (like Macbeth thinking he's invulnerable because no man born of woman can kill him, but he doesn't consider a man born by C-section), the context changes the interpretation, etc. But the seer tells Rumple he'll be reunited with his son, and he saw that it would be Cora's daughter casting the Dark Curse that was the way to go -- and that's exactly what happened. No twist, no surprises, nothing tripping him up. He gets a prophecy, and the prophecy comes true. Yawn. And because of that, he doesn't really try anything else.

18 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I can't even get mad at Emma for her lack of trust, because it's so dumb and plot-pointy. Terrible character work.

I wonder when JMo made her decision not to renew her contract. If she hadn't already decided, this character assassination may have sealed the deal. Why would she want to keep playing a character who's subject to change without notice?

And this does feed into my paranoid conspiracy theory that the writers wanted to undermine the Emma and Hook relationship. It's almost like they were trying to make even the Hook fans want them to break up, since Emma turned away from him so easily.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Prophecies only become interesting when there's a twist -- it doesn't mean what you think it means, the person misinterprets it and gets overly confident

It's clear A&E have never seen a single episode of That's So Raven.

He gets a prophecy, and the prophecy comes true.

The only interesting twist was...

Spoiler

... "the boy" who would be his "undoing" turned out to be Wish Henry instead of Henry. I'm still surprised to this day that the writers remembered that prophecy and decided to use it to ultimately kill Rumple in the finale. Not that it really mattered all that much, but something was better than nothing I guess. Saved us from a bunch of fan theories that unconvincingly connected Rumple's death with something forgotten out of S2.

Edited by KingOfHearts
On 8/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, Shanna Marie said:

This is another one of those cases of them not knowing how to deal with prophecy in fiction. Prophecies only become interesting when there's a twist -- it doesn't mean what you think it means, the person misinterprets it and gets overly confident (like Macbeth thinking he's invulnerable because no man born of woman can kill him, but he doesn't consider a man born by C-section), the context changes the interpretation, etc. But the seer tells Rumple he'll be reunited with his son, and he saw that it would be Cora's daughter casting the Dark Curse that was the way to go -- and that's exactly what happened. No twist, no surprises, nothing tripping him up. He gets a prophecy, and the prophecy comes true. Yawn. And because of that, he doesn't really try anything else.

I wonder when JMo made her decision not to renew her contract. If she hadn't already decided, this character assassination may have sealed the deal. Why would she want to keep playing a character who's subject to change without notice?

And this does feed into my paranoid conspiracy theory that the writers wanted to undermine the Emma and Hook relationship. It's almost like they were trying to make even the Hook fans want them to break up, since Emma turned away from him so easily.

I've always suspected it was after 5A or immediately after season 5, after she did all that work to prepare for the Dark One and it was all for nothing. I think that was the last straw for her. 

Edited by andromeda331
On 8/16/2019 at 1:04 PM, Shanna Marie said:

We had still more villain omniscience, with Jafar, who as far as we know has never met Ariel, knowing to impersonate Eric when Jasmine and Ariel arrive, and knowing enough about Jasmine and Eric's past interactions to know exactly what happened between them.

I'm not sure why Jafar went to all that trouble.  He could have gotten the ring back in any other multitude of ways considering he was dealing with such... uh, unformidable foes.  

• Love 1