Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Chapter Fifty-Nine

Jane is finally ready to get back in the dating game so she enlists the help of Rafael and Petra, but it seems they have their own issues to work on. Alba takes Xo and Jane's advice about being an independent woman when it comes to Jorge. Petra finds out that Chuck has been talking to the police, which could put her in hot water. Meanwhile, Rogelio is trying to settle his lawsuit in a hurry so he can start his new telenovela, but it isn't going as smoothly as he hoped.

Promo:

I've voiced my frustration with the drawing-out of the Xo/Rogelio story in the past (the whole thing with him wanting kids leading to them breaking up never really clicked for me, seeing as he was married several times between high school and re-entering Jane's life), but that was a terrific payoff, I will admit.

I liked the way they handled Jane's attempts at rejoining the dating pool.  Her crushing on Rogelio's hot young costar is a fun avenue for the show to explore.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

but that was a terrific payoff, I will admit.

It was.  Is it sudden? Yes.  Thrown together?  Yes.  Are they tiring?  Yes.  But as a stand alone moment, they worked in this episode.  I think part of it could be the fact that I thought this episode was a lot of fun and they were buoyed by that.

I liked how they had Jane reenter the dating pool too.  The highs.  The lows. The doubt.  But I especially liked how funny Rafael and Petra were in their attempts to help her. 

This would have been a great Valentine's Day Show but it works as a spring fling type of show too.

• Love 3

I've voiced my frustration with the drawing-out of the Xo/Rogelio story in the past (the whole thing with him wanting kids leading to them breaking up never really clicked for me, seeing as he was married several times between high school and re-entering Jane's life), but that was a terrific payoff, I will admit.

I liked the way they handled Jane's attempts at rejoining the dating pool.  Her crushing on Rogelio's hot young costar is a fun avenue for the show to explore.

It made some sense because (1) having reconnected with the Villaneuvas he's now seeing the close family they have and wanting that connection for himself and (2) he's getting older and it might be his last shot to do fatherhood from the beginning. By the same token, deciding that Mateo is filling that spot in his heart is also something I can believe.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It was.  Is it sudden? Yes.  Thrown together?  Yes.  Are they tiring?  Yes.  But as a stand alone moment, they worked in this episode.  I think part of it could be the fact that I thought this episode was a lot of fun and they were buoyed by that.

I agree. I don't love the couple overall, but I did think the moment worked and their giddiness afterward was a cute moment. They're starting to find their footing with Rogelio and Xo and I'm ok with them. 

Overall, the episode was good. I do think they handled Jane re-entering the dating pool as well as they could. I'll admit that I still found myself tearing up when they showed Michael in the previouslies (I guess I'm not at the acceptance stage yet) and I found myself a bit resentful over Dennis and Jane going on a date, but I like how Jane acknowledged my fears about it disrespecting Michael. I think it helped to watch them both figure out that they weren't right for each other, after all. 

I guess Jane being interested in her father's hot co-star will be a fun avenue to explore. I think she needs a fun relationship. 

I enjoyed Rafael/Petra helping Jane out. Funny how Rafael is worried about Petra being interested in him, but that fear has sparked his own reinterest with her. Too bad for him that Petra is still into Chuck. I love Rafael and Jane's friendship and I'd love to see that continue without any romantic entanglements for the rest of the series. I think their coparenting is fun to watch. Plus, I'm more entertained at the Petra/Rafael dynamic. 

So....is Petra in contact with Anezka? I know she sent an e-mail to someone in Czech, but is it really to Anezka? I guess it has to be. But why is she still in contact with her sister? I highly doubt now that Anezka killed Scott for the sole reason that the detectives suspect it. 

I'll admit that Alba's date was pretty hilarious.

I think the Narrator said "straight out of a TELENOVELA" too many times this episode. 

• Love 3

Is this not a 22 episode season?  If the next episode isn't till April 24th, that would mean airing into June if it is 22 episodes, which seems oddly late.

Loved this episode.  They're doing such a great job with the Michael aftermath.  It's an incredibly tricky tone to find, and they're nailing it... the top layer is fun romance and humor, but it still respects and regularly acknowledges the enormity and permanence of the loss that underlies it.  It's impressive.

I've also been loving everything with Petra since the time jump, which is nice to see after what a mess her story was the first half of the season.  I'm legitimately curious about what's going on with her and Aneszka.

The one thing that didn't quite work for me was the Xo/Ro reunion.  After all this, it was just too abrupt, too fast and easy.  There's been so much drama, what I really wanted was a scene where they talked it out somewhat before falling into each others arms -- this show has always excelled at scenes where characters actually discuss their feelings about breaking up or getting back together.  I'm disappointed if we really have skipped that step here.

And I'm probably alone in this, but every week I'm wondering: where are Luisa and Rose?  I want to get up to speed on whatever that situation is now.

Edited by JyDanzig
  • Love 2

My favorite thing about this episode was both Rafael and Petra trying to help Jane flirt again. I love when the three of them are supportive friends.

I was not a fan of the Petra/Rafael hookup, but it was almost worth it to see Petra holding Mateo's raincoat in front of her.

Loved Alba's whole storyline this week, from Alba flat out asking Jorge if they were still going on a date to making out with Jorge at the miniature golf course. But it was selfless of her to hide because it was Jane's first date in three years. Never mind that it was Alba's first date in far longer! The only thing I didn't like was the #walkofshame we saw on the screen when she showed up to the set of Rogelio's new show. Nothing wrong with an adult woman going out with a man she likes and spending the night at his house!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The only thing I didn't like was the #walkofshame we saw on the screen when she showed up to the set of Rogelio's new show. Nothing wrong with an adult woman going out with a man she likes and spending the night at his house!

I thought that moment was meant to be ironic. There was no shame in Alba's stride. That's how a "walk of shame" should be done.

My favorite moment was when the narrator said (and the camera showed) that it wasn't Jane's heart that was glowing. That scene made me wonder - did Jane's "no sex before marriage" stance only count for the first time? Would she be willing to have sex without marriage now? I'm looking forward to finding out.

• Love 6

I loved Petra and Rafael playing two way wing man for Jane. I really like when the three of them are getting along, they're a lot of fun together.

I think they're doing as well as possible with Michael dying and Jane moving on, but I'm still not quite into the acceptance part of grief yet, so I'm still not fully embracing it. I do think Jane flirting with Rogelio's hot co star could be fun, especially because I just don't think I'm ready to watch Jane enter a real relationship again. I still feel like there is a big hole in the show where Michael once was, and it will still take some time for me to start really embracing the show like I used to.

I think its me, not the show.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My favorite thing about this episode was both Rafael and Petra trying to help Jane flirt again. I love when the three of them are supportive friends.

I was not a fan of the Petra/Rafael hookup, but it was almost worth it to see Petra holding Mateo's raincoat in front of her.

The scene with the yellow raincoat was the highlight of the show for me, and the only reason I don't mind the Raf/Petra hookup too much anymore. My gosh that was funny!

And yes, Rafael and Petra helping Jane flirt was the second best thing for me. Soooooooo funny... Especially how fast Petra snapped from flirting with Raf to being so disappoint Chuck did not even notice (although we know he did).

And the tooth! That was funny, too.

3 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

So, Jane has been in love three times; Mr X that we are suppose to learn about later, Michael and Rafael.

Who is Mr X???

The next major love interest that they just haven't been able to cast yet.  :)

I realized why that Ro/Xo thing bothered me so much: it's really damaging to Xo's character.  Like Jane didn't get engaged to Michael until she was truly sure, I feel like Xo had been developed to the same point of emotional intelligence.  I don't believe she would have gotten engaged to Bruce unless she had really moved on.  When you've really moved on, you don't suddenly snap back to the last ex the minute they're open to taking you back.  There's no way you can go from engaged to one man to telling another man you're in love with him in the space of a week without coming off as some mix of idiot and immature.  This plot development just makes her character so much... less.  Less intelligent, less aware of herself.

A Xo/Ro reunion obviously was where they were heading, and could have been great.  They just didn't do the work to earn it.  So disappointing.

But this show does tend to recover from it's rare missteps.  I'll just try to airbrush how badly this was handled out of my mind when I'm watching the next episode.

• Love 1

But this show does tend to recover from it's rare missteps.  I'll just try to airbrush how badly this was handled out of my mind when I'm watching the next episode.

We'll have forgotten everything by then.  I can't believe they brought the show back for two measly weeks and now we have to wait four weeks for the next episode.  Not a good way to keep your fan base.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

My favorite moment was when the narrator said (and the camera showed) that it wasn't Jane's heart that was glowing. That scene made me wonder - did Jane's "no sex before marriage" stance only count for the first time? Would she be willing to have sex without marriage now? I'm looking forward to finding out.

I wonder if Jane knows the answer herself. She believed that marriage was forever and has only recently opened herself up to dating. I'd like to see her struggle with this decision. So many options make sense for the character (open to sex, only sex when in love, only sex if remarried), I'm curious what she'll do. 

14 hours ago, JyDanzig said:

And I'm probably alone in this, but every week I'm wondering: where are Luisa and Rose?  I want to get up to speed on whatever that situation is now.

3 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I'd be overjoyed to never see those two again.  Overjoyed, I say.  

47 minutes ago, marceline said:

Same here. I don't miss them at all. Frankly, I completely forgot they even existed.

See, I knew I would be the only one. :)

I'm intrigued to see how it plays out with Elisabeth Rohm in the role now (and they wouldn't have recast with her if she wasn't going to recur).  She's an interesting one, in that the majority of her career every performance was Blank Cipher, and then a few years ago she suddenly could act.  I think it was getting cast in "American Hustle" that flipped the switch.

And it really will be a missed opportunity if we don't hear Rose/Eileen say "is because I'm a lesbian?" at some point.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JyDanzig said:

See, I knew I would be the only one. :)

I could care less about Rose in general, but the fact that they brought her back right before the time jump makes me feel like it's either a really glaring dropped plot point, or it's going to come back in a big way. So I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...

3 hours ago, JyDanzig said:

And it really will be a missed opportunity if we don't hear Rose/Eileen say "is because I'm a lesbian?" at some point.

I'm pretty bored of the Rose storylines, but that would make it all worthwhile.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, camom said:

We'll have forgotten everything by then.  I can't believe they brought the show back for two measly weeks and now we have to wait four weeks for the next episode.  Not a good way to keep your fan base.

Maybe this is because of the long time between episodes, but I was confused seeing Jane being warm and friendly (and even open to dating) Dennis. Wasn't she really angry at him not so long ago because he was sneaking looks at stuff in her home related to Michael's case? I'm very fuzzy on the details but do remember her being really angry at Dennis and even hitting him.

• Love 2

Petra wrote to her sister in Czech! It's stuff like this that still makes me watch this show. And I love Petra, I really do. Please don't assassinate her character again, show.

I have a feeling they're trying to make Alba more fun lately and I'm not feeling it. The entire Jorge stuff is a total snoozefest for me. I think I actually preferred her while she was still preaching about the flower and whatnot. Yes, she was beyond annoying then, but at least she felt authentic.

I feel like we haven't really much (or any?) of Rogelio's reaction to his bestie Michael's death, so I'm hoping Jane's potential flirtation with his co-star will be their avenue to explore that.

I've always loved the glowing heart bit so I was rolling laughing when Jane's... other heart lit up! I'm interested to see her take on sex now. Just like virginity until marriage wasn't covered much on TV before, I'd like to see their take on celibacy. Certainly not common on TV, and I think more common (by choice or not) in real life than we think.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The only thing I didn't like was the #walkofshame we saw on the screen when she showed up to the set of Rogelio's new show. Nothing wrong with an adult woman going out with a man she likes and spending the night at his house!

I loved that moment because she was sauntering.  And it paired nicely with the Jane, Raf and Petra #walkoflame moment. 

13 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I do think we'll find out but yes, I do think her "no sex before marriage" stance was pretty narrowly focused on the first penis-in-vagina penetration. She considered having sex before marriage with both Michael and Rafael but the whole flower motif and there's one time to lose it ultimately led her to choose to wait.  And then it happened and for all her waiting and planning, it wasn't what she expected.

The focus was on virginity.  With that gone, and a more knowledgeable idea of what being in a sexual relationship is like, and knowing she almost caved multiple times before marriage, the question for me isn't whether or not she'd have a sexual relationship outside of marriage.  I definitely think she would.  The question for me is whether or not she's at a point in her life where she'd entertain a sexual fling or enter into a relationship sex-first with the possibility of feelings later.  Or would she need to be in a relationship first?

8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I could care less about Rose in general, but the fact that they brought her back right before the time jump makes me feel like it's either a really glaring dropped plot point, or it's going to come back in a big way. So I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...

I feel like it must be part of their plan for the final act of this series, given that Rose is now responsible for Michael's death.  Jane herself mostly has the grounded, real stories that run parallel to the telenovela arcs -- this seems like one of the points where she will have to be pulled back into the high melodrama for the final defeat of Rose.

Edited by JyDanzig

Maybe this is because of the long time between episodes, but I was confused seeing Jane being warm and friendly (and even open to dating) Dennis. Wasn't she really angry at him not so long ago because he was sneaking looks at stuff in her home related to Michael's case? I'm very fuzzy on the details but do remember her being really angry at Dennis and even hitting him.

Jane was angry with Dennis because she thought he was sneaking around trying to dig up dirt on Michael.  It turned out he was trying to defend Michael, and Jane forgave him once she understood that Dennis was a true friend to Michael.

I'm also glad to see Petra happy and a good mother.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think they're doing as well as possible with Michael dying and Jane moving on, but I'm still not quite into the acceptance part of grief yet, so I'm still not fully embracing it. I do think Jane flirting with Rogelio's hot co star could be fun, especially because I just don't think I'm ready to watch Jane enter a real relationship again. I still feel like there is a big hole in the show where Michael once was, and it will still take some time for me to start really embracing the show like I used to.

I hope that the point of having Jane lust after Rogelio's new costar is to get her to realize that although sex can be a beautiful and special experience when two people love each other, it can also be something fun that doesn't require a ring and vows of lifelong commitment.

14 hours ago, camom said:

The NCAA finals are this coming Monday so I don't blame them for not wanting to compete against that (my bracket is blown to shit but I'll still watch). Putting off new episodes for a few more weeks means that the CW is choosing to save the last episodes of the season for May sweeps, which is a good thing. That means they think it will do well. It's worse when the networks decides to burn off the season finale in April because that means they think the show is too weak to get good ratings.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:39 AM, JyDanzig said:

Is this not a 22 episode season?  If the next episode isn't till April 24th, that would mean airing into June if it is 22 episodes, which seems oddly late.

Loved this episode.  They're doing such a great job with the Michael aftermath.  It's an incredibly tricky tone to find, and they're nailing it... the top layer is fun romance and humor, but it still respects and regularly acknowledges the enormity and permanence of the loss that underlies it.  It's impressive.

I've also been loving everything with Petra since the time jump, which is nice to see after what a mess her story was the first half of the season.  I'm legitimately curious about what's going on with her and Aneszka.

The one thing that didn't quite work for me was the Xo/Ro reunion.  After all this, it was just too abrupt, too fast and easy.  There's been so much drama, what I really wanted was a scene where they talked it out somewhat before falling into each others arms -- this show has always excelled at scenes where characters actually discuss their feelings about breaking up or getting back together.  I'm disappointed if we really have skipped that step here.

20 episodes this season. 

I'm actually happy Xo/Ro are finally together.  That part of their storyline is done. Thank God. This episode was hilarious. Finally a sex only attraction because it happens a whole lot. Lust not love. Lust glow!  Petra's teeth got me the most because that kind of thing always makes me laugh. Glad Dennis & Jane didn't happen. Jane is going date and maybe have sex outside of marriage!  I like it. This Petra/Rafael thing may last longer than 5 episodes. I can deal with it for a little while but not an entire season.  Abbey could have stayed in that role until it was up. I like Petra with Chuck. 

• Love 2
On 3/29/2017 at 2:08 AM, Irlandesa said:

I loved that moment because she was sauntering.  And it paired nicely with the Jane, Raf and Petra #walkoflame moment. 

I would've hashtagged that:

#walkofshame

#strutofnoshame

I liked the Petra/Rafael hook up because the two of them have loads more chemistry than Jane/Rafael. I hope this wasn't just fan service - like - here's a bone along the way while we pursue our ultimate agenda - because the show sort of does that. It did that w/Michael & Jane before pulling the plug and this could be their way of paying off Petra/Rafael chemistry while continuing towards an agenda that seems stupid to me. Rafael and Jane squick me out. It's almost incestuous at this point.

That said, THIS is the Petra I enjoy. She's so much fun.

• Love 1

Enjoyed this episode far more than last week. Way funnier. Bit disappointed in the Dennis date because I thought those two were developing a nice friendship but I did like the mutual theme of them both misinterpreting everything as romantic interest.

I was disappointed in the Dennis date, too, and

Spoiler

am not excited by the casting of Tyler Posy as Jane's potential love interest. But maybe how Jane the Virgin wants to push a lot of the audience towards Rafael/Jane, by pushing her towards someone blech.

I'm also disappointed by the long line up of Petra's skeevy love interests. I don't buy "Chad's" turn around into sincerity for a single second. Yael Grobglas has chemistry with everybody, so I don't understand why not a single one of her love interests have had any chemistry - or charisma in their own right. It's tedious. Every single one of Rogelio's non-Xo love interests has been a hoot and could hold the screen in their own right - even the intense, selfish wife character with the bazillion bunny rabbits. Even his stalker/kidnapper. But Groblas's have always been yucky, whether in scenes with her or scenes with others. Irritating, because the showrunners talked about being "excited" about this season's love interest. At least it's less irritating when she doesn't really like them, but when we're supposed to believe she likes them - as with Chad - it's annoying. The show just keeps repeating the same idea for its characters, over and over.

• Love 1

The best thing this show ever did was killing off Michael. Season 2 was incredibly dull and lacked the fun season 1 had. Michael was such a bore and lacked chemistry with Jane that I laughed every time he attempted to kiss her. I missed Jafael scenes and the lightness they brought to the screen along with of course the quintessential passion and smolder. They were smoldering together and understand each other a lot better than Jane/Michael ever had. They were more honest with who they were as well. I skipped a lot of season 2 and 3A, but my interest came back when Michael died. Season 3B is back to season 1's fun and airy (even among murder and scandal) feelings. Rafael looks so good with the hair and beard and Jane looks so pretty with short hair. I don't like Petra and probably never will even if she decides to become a nun. I hate how people woobify her even though she's done a lot of shitty things to Rafael like falsely accusing him of domestic violence and most importantly IMPREGNATING herself without even telling or consulting with him about it. She should've been locked up for that and that would've been the end of her character. I don't see the Petra/Jane thing people talk about because all I see is reluctant acceptance between the 2 of them. I hope Jane and Rafael find their way back together soon, but all I can think about is how messy it will be for the 3 of them.

• Love 1