Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Under Leaf Pluck Lotus

An insidious new drug hits New York, Danny recruits Colleen for the fight, and Claire discovers that credit cards can have many uses.

Edited by The Crazed Spruce
Added title and description

I don't know about Daredevil, but it seems to me that unlike Jessica and Luke, Danny was ready to fight the bad guys since the beginning. He's more naive, more idealistic. Which is fine, since it can create interesting conflicts with the other members of the group. Also, I guess we're meant to understand that he's never had sex. Or kissed anyone. 

I'm starting to like Ward. He's evil, but not stubborn. I mean, when he sees that he's been defeated, he accepts it, like when he had to agree to sell the new medecine at cost price. And he's got terrible headaches, poor thing.

Colleen's great, and I like her chemistry with Danny. I also loved how Claire supported Colleen when Danny arrived with the food. She could sense that Colleen wasn't feeling very comfortable with the situation and decided to stay with her until she was sure everything was okay.  Nice touch.

Lady Hand was very unfair to her henchman. I mean, I get it, she's evil and cruel, but apparently she also knows about Iron Fist and his powers, so where's the logic in punishing a regular guy for being unable to stop a superhero single-handedly?

• Love 6

Claire!  She always makes every series better.  I was highly amused by all of her facial expressions during that super awkward date.  I also loved that she made off with plenty of leftovers.  How wonderfully shameless.  

Ah, and I just got that Harold is listed as Frankenstein (as in "It's Alive!!!!") in Ward's phone.  That's hilarious, and it's almost enough to make me like Ward.  I mean he's clearly a dick, but I feel a little sorry for him.  The stress of being the only one who knows his father's alive and having to be his errand boy is weighing heavily on him.  I really believe he was being genuine a few episodes ago when he told Joy that he dreams of leaving the company and starting over with nothing.  

I do wonder though if he genuinely finds Danny's yarn about the Hand and the heroin crazy, or if he's playing dumb.  It's hard to tell, though one would think he wouldn't find anything crazy after what all his father has been through.

• Love 5

I've enjoyed all the previous episodes but this is the one that hooked me.

I enjoyed Claire reacting to getting involved with yet another "hero" - she was all, "SERIOUSLY??  Why am I a magnet for these people??  Oh well - I'm in!".

And you can feel all the various threads from DD, JJ, and LC coming together to form "The Defenders".

Man, Madam Gao does not mess around.

So, Ward tried The Hand's Heroin, yes?  He's been a dick but I don't think he's evil like I thought at the beginning and I'm afraid he's in for something tragic.

The show seems to be finding it's groove - on to episode six!

• Love 3

Claire be like "Why do crazy people keep gravitating towards me?"

Does it really make any sense that Claire wouldn't call Matt at this point? Other than this isn't his show and it's not time for the Defenders just yet?

I love all the “WTF is up with this dude” faces people make at Danny’s antics. The scientist lady at his company reacting to the way he bowed was hilarious.

Danny’s friend in K’un L’un is named Davos? Is that a character from the old comics or was that another Game of Thrones reference?

• Love 4

This show isn't has awful as the critics made it out to be. I'm 5 episodes in to the 6 episodes they got and I'm enjoying it. The pilot was clunky but almost all pilots I've seen suffer from that same problem. However it is keeping my interest more than Luke Cage and the critics loved that show. 

I love Colleen and the actress is much better at playing a badass marital artist than Finn Jones. She looks better than him when he's supposed to be the special one. Maybe that's why we get to see her fight more. 

Ward is a little too I have so many daddy issues for me to enjoy. He's gotten better though. Joy is the one I'm interested in because she's either the real big bad or one of the most confusing characters on the show. I never know what she's going to do. 

I always love seeing Claire, her reactions to Colleen and Danny's awkwardness was great. These heroes do need her and she deserves to be hero just for putting up with them all the time. It is going to be strange that she says he can't do it alone and she doesn't immediately call up Matt and Jessica to help. I know they probably can't because it's not time for the Defenders yet, but if you're going to have a shared universe you need reason why the other heroes that live in the same city aren't involved. 

Although I wonder if there will be a fight between Iron Fist and Elektra? Danny was trained since childhood to be a weapon to defeat the Hand and

Elektra was trained since childhood to be a weapon for the Hand.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

This show isn't has awful as the critics made it out to be. I'm 5 episodes in to the 6 episodes they got and I'm enjoying it.

There's 13 episodes fyi.

I'm enjoy it so far. I loved seeing Claire and her reaction was priceless basically "of course your one of them". It's nice that she's a friend of Colleen. I agree with Bec that she would tell Matt about this. Unless this was sent up for the Defenders and he as well as the others will get involved in the fight. I was thinking of them when she said you can't do it alone.

Edited by blueray

I can see why Claire was hesitant to contact the others she's already met just yet, but it's early in the series. She doesn't know enough about what Danny can and cannot do, so I can see her taking a wait and see approach. I think the difference between this and the other Netfix Marvels, aside from the, IMO, more interesting supporting casts in the others, is that each of them started strong, and kind of petered out a bit midway, whereas this series seems to be building momentum in a traditional series manner.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Claire being Colleen's student seems like the textbook definition of contrived (is NYC really that small?), but anything that gets her involved means I approve.

You make a good point about the coincidence, but they did set this up in Luke Cage, with Claire (mild Luke Cage spoilers)

Spoiler

having to fight off the mugger, deciding that she wanted to work with heroes, and then finding one of the fliers that Colleen posted around town.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, blueray said:

There's 13 episodes fyi.

I'm enjoy it so far. I loved seeing Claire and her reaction was priceless basically "of course your one of them". It's nice that she's a friend of Colleen. I agree with Bec that she would tell Matt about this. Unless this was sent up for the Defenders and he as well as the others will get involved in the fight. I was thinking of them when she said you can't do it alone.

I meant the critics only having watched 6 episodes of the series. 

1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

How's Danny going to explain to the credit card company why he needs a new credit card?

I'm sure as a billionaire the credit card company won't ask that many questions

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

Claire!  Was wondering which episode she was finally going to appear in!  Yeah, it is once again a bit pat that she just happens to train at the same dojo Colleen runs, but whatever, I ain't going to complain.  Especially if it involves more Claire in her workout outfit, and seeing how fit Rosario Dawson is!  Enjoyed watching Claire intrude on Danny and Colleen's "date", and then her reaction to The Hand reveal, and how she once again has found herself stuck in another crazy-ass situation!

So, The Hand is making some kind of special heroin and is using the pier Rand Corp acquired to bring it to the States.  But Danny just totally fucked them over by taking their chemist, whose, of course, daughter is the prisoner of The Hand, so they really are more at a stalemate.  And they finally do the obvious reveal that the lady in the shadows in Madame Gao.

Ward seems to letting loose now.  It seemed like his sole reason to not settle was to spite Harold, since Harold was texting him to listen to Joy. And he took that heroin, right?  Still wondering where they are heading with this character.  And Joy too.

Glad that it seems like Danny and Colleen are finally becoming a bit of a team, even if I'm not a huge fan of them going down the obvious "They are totally awkwardly attracted to one another" route.

• Love 1

They showed Claire taking the number from Colleen Wing's martial art class ad at the end of Luke Cage. So I'm okay with her training with Colleen. She picked a good person to learn from, Colleen's a badass. 

• Love 4

Its Claire! Hi Claire! Claire makes everything better with her lovable, long suffering presence. I loved her tagging along to Danny and Colleens awkward take out date , and shamelessly taking home tons of food with her. Right there with you girl. I swear, I'm convinced we will eventually find out that Claire has some kind of super power that she doesn't know about that draws her to super people, or super people to her. I just love her expressions, especially when she realizes that Danny is another super person. Like "dear GOD how do I keep getting dragged into this crap?!?!". I loved the awkward date between her, Danny, and Colleen. I especially liked Danny doing his prayer, while Colleen and Claire awkwardly put their hands together in prayer.

I really liked this episode, I feel like the show is getting into its grove. I really don't get why the reviewers hate it so much. Yeah its not as innovative as some of the other shows Marvel Netflix have put out, but its a fun action show, and that's what I was looking for here. Danny has grown on me a lot, and Finn Jones is doing fine. He isn't like a lot of other MCU actors where its like "This person IS this character and I cant imagine anyone else playing him/her", but I think he's doing perfectly well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Danny mixes in with the rest of The Defenders, considering he has a really different outlook than the others. Matt fights evil because he feels like he HAS to fight evil, Jessica fights evil for a paycheck or to get revenge on one particular asshole, Luke fights evil because he keeps getting dragged into it because of his powers, but Danny fights evil because he really WANTS to. Of course all the other future Defenders also help people because its the right thing to do at various points, Danny seems so much more idealistic about it.

Ward has his dad saved as Frankenstein on his phone! How can I dislike a guy like that 100%? Especially considering I see him having some real problems in the near future. Trying that heroin seems like the beginning of a bad road.

'

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Danny mixes in with the rest of The Defenders, considering he has a really different outlook than the others. Matt fights evil because he feels like he HAS to fight evil, Jessica fights evil for a paycheck or to get revenge on one particular asshole, Luke fights evil because he keeps getting dragged into it because of his powers, but Danny fights evil because he really WANTS to. Of course all the other future Defenders also help people because its the right thing to do at various points, Danny seems so much more idealistic about it.

I'm not finding this series to be very compelling but still very much looking forward to the Defenders. Danny will only be one of the ensemble there and as you say, everyone's conflicting viewpoints and rationales should make for an interesting show. Danny may be able to come into his own a lot more as a member of a team.

• Love 2

I love Colleen. She tries to be normal, but she loves fighting and danger and hurting bad guys too much. 

Claire cracked me up this whole episode. And nice tease on Daredevil. I even hoped he would appear for a minute or so. 

This isn't as bad as critics said. Danny is assimilating too quickly into the business and real world IMO, but otherwise I'M enjoying it. 

Also, Ward's double bird was funny. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2017 at 6:29 PM, Helena Dax said:

Lady Hand was very unfair to her henchman. I mean, I get it, she's evil and cruel, but apparently she also knows about Iron Fist and his powers, so where's the logic in punishing a regular guy for being unable to stop a superhero single-handedly?

I guess it was less about punishment and more about "I have zero use for you anymore"

On 3/18/2017 at 4:10 AM, Bec said:

Does it really make any sense that Claire wouldn't call Matt at this point? Other than this isn't his show and it's not time for the Defenders just yet?

Does she even know how to contact him? Didn't he pretty much cut ties with everyone at the end of DD season 2?

The only thing I found dumb this episode was Danny and Colleen spent a scene looking at all her cool weapons but then go to the pier unarmed.

Also for some reason this episode got me wondering, has anyone told Danny about the time aliens invaded New York?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also for some reason this episode got me wondering, has anyone told Danny about the time aliens invaded New York?

The shrink in episode (I think) 2 alluded to it. Ambiguous as to whether he explained "the incident" to Danny or just made a passing reference to it and assumed Danny knew what he was talking about.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who doesn't like Claire? She irritates me in that instead of hinting about Murdock and Jessica, just say it! It is annoying.

Plus I find her knowing air annoying.

I love Colleen. Wish they could kill off Iron Fist and have her be a Defender.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Claire? She irritates me in that instead of hinting about Murdock and Jessica, just say it! It is annoying.

Plus I find her knowing air annoying.

I love Colleen. Wish they could kill off Iron Fist and have her be a Defender.

I like Claire but I do find the knowing air to be annoying as well.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Does she even know how to contact him? Didn't he pretty much cut ties with everyone at the end of DD season 2?

Don't know if he kept that burner phone or ever gave her his actual phone number, but unless he moved, Claire knows where he lives. And even though Matt spent most of DD2 pushing people away, it seems like by the very, very end, he did learn his lesson and was trying to move past his lone-wolf phase.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

Its Claire! Hi Claire! Claire makes everything better with her lovable, long suffering presence.

Yes.  Yes she does.  And this ep needed a lot of help.  The boardrooms scenes are SO annoying -- so absurdly unrealistic they make me cringe.  And someone saying "I'm sorry" when a grieving mother sticks a photo of her dead kid in your face does not constitute an admission of guilt on behalf of the company.  It's just an expression of sympathy.  I know corporate wonks carefully avoid saying it and lawyers tell their clients not to use those words but context does matter.  Ugh.  I was scoffing so hard I nearly hurt myself.

And I nearly re-injured myself when Danny & Colleen were filming the trucks and were disappointed by the contents.  What exactly did they THINK they were going to see -- boxes labeled in big, bold letters with the words "Synthetic Heroin"?  That was so stupid.  They should've come up with a plausible reason for Danny to suspect that the master chemist or some unknown key element of the operation was being smuggled in one of those trucks and then have him break in for that reason.

I want to like this show but right now I'm with the critics -- this is definitely the weakest of the four Defender prequels. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Yes.  Yes she does.  And this ep needed a lot of help.  The boardrooms scenes are SO annoying -- so absurdly unrealistic they make me cringe.  And someone saying "I'm sorry" when a grieving mother sticks a photo of her dead kid in your face does not constitute an admission of guilt on behalf of the company.  It's just an expression of sympathy.  I know corporate wonks carefully avoid saying it and lawyers tell their clients not to use those words but context does matter.  Ugh.  I was scoffing so hard I nearly hurt myself.

Well he did say "we're going to make this right" which doesn't take too much to see as an admission that Rand did something wrong. But yea the board stuff still annoying.

• Love 1

Danny is boring as hell.   Finn Jones brings nothing to this role.   His fight scenes generate no heat, his moves seem too slow and rehearsed, and his Danny Rand naivete/innocence is too earnest to be credible.

I'm not one of those who complained that an Asian actor should have been cast in the role.  But I will complain that a real actor should have been cast, rather than just a pretty boy.  Every other actor in the show outshines him, especially the young lady who plays Colleen Wing.

The story is flabby and weak, which only tends to highlight the actor's shortcomings.  

• Love 2
On 29/03/2017 at 5:15 AM, WatchrTina said:

And I nearly re-injured myself when Danny & Colleen were filming the trucks and were disappointed by the contents.  What exactly did they THINK they were going to see -- boxes labeled in big, bold letters with the words "Synthetic Heroin"?  That was so stupid.  

Haha, that annoyed me as well. "From this angle, all I see is boxes. Where's the heroin?" 

Serious face palm. Also, how does a secluded martial arts monk with a vow of celibacy able to ask questions about the chemical content of synthetic heroin a few weeks after coming back to society?

On 27/03/2017 at 5:46 PM, benteen said:

I like Claire but I do find the knowing air to be annoying as well.

I don't think this is a Claire thing, I think it's a genre thing. It's a real bugbear of mine across the genre.

On 2017-04-03 at 1:11 AM, millennium said:

Danny is boring as hell.   Finn Jones brings nothing to this role.   His fight scenes generate no heat, his moves seem too slow and rehearsed, and his Danny Rand naivete/innocence is too earnest to be credible.

I don't find him boring, but I think his naïveté reads as willful to me, like somebody fundamentally broken. He seems more traumatized than sage -- this is not someone who's found a lot of inner peace or strength. Actually, Colleen seems pretty messed up, too. It seems like she needs to be the Daughter of the Dragon a leeetle too badly, I think.

Does Ward continue to be useless and annoying throughout the series? I want Danny to Iron Fist him into a reef knot. He's not menacing, he's not sympathetic, he's not an anti-hero -- he's just a self-adoring prat.

I'm a newbie to Marvel Netflix, so I don't really know Claire, but I like her so far.

• Love 1