Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

Where is gasoline soaked underwear coming from?  I clearly missed something. 

I did google sever cellulitis and that is what prompted my post this morning saying I think he is headed for an amputation if he doesn't die first.  And I believe he would die during that surgery!  

5 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

We didn't see him yell... he did just ask for food!

The camera's were rolling.  :^)

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
On 3/16/2017 at 6:27 AM, Michael Stabosz said:

I really feel for Lisa though.  The people of this forum are being unfair to her I think.  She went from one abusive relationship to another.  James kind of framed himself as the guy who saved her from the previous relationship, but I think there's no doubt about it.... he was another one.  That poor woman.  People here say that she should have worked harder or left him or been more strict.  They're right, but you need to remember that's easier said than done.  There is something about abused people that makes them psychologically broken.  They can't leave their abusers.  They can't stand up to them.  The reasons are obvious in a physically abusive relationship; the abuser controls through simple physical superiority and can chase them down if they flee.  It's less clear why the emotionally abused are so reluctant to leave.

agree 100%.   She deserves better....she seems to be a kind soul.

• Love 9

I've been reading these comments for the past couple hours and I've LOL'd to a point where tears came to my eyes.  On a more serious note; the massive quantity of food that James shovels into his pie-hole each day is probably enough to feed an entire starving family in Africa for several days!  He is serving no useful purpose as a human being - only consuming resources.  Can you imagine somebody who actually is going hungry having to watch this show?  Shame on you James.

• Love 7
On 3/16/2017 at 10:23 AM, gunderda said:

Bailey seemed to vanish towards the end. But then came back. Wonder if she got tired of the enabling. 

I think she went out and got piercings. 

• Love 2

I fell head over heels down my front steps yesterday. Head bump, neck abrasion, skinned one knee bad, 3 stitches in other, air cast on foot and crutches. Been saying for 2 days  now...ow my legs.

Please soak my panties well as I'm driving the bus to hell.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, Carrie said:

Ugh!  We have crossed the Rubicon into a world with no boundaries or dignity.  I shudder to think of the self-abasement necessary to ask the world to pay for your wedding and your house.  Does Joe think he's some kind of a celebrity - or a Saint - or a special, deserving victim? 

Totally!!  Some people have literally no shame!! You can't embarrass them because they have zero pride or scruples.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

A hard life and or/childhood horrors of every kind is the backstory of 98% of the human race since time began. 
Please, psychologists and social workers, stop using this as reason or explanation of why the freak of the week is in such an effed-up state. 

Love this.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 11

Can I just say that I've been half-craving Chinese food since this episode aired. Though looking at the nutritional info for General Tso's chicken, I may never eat more than hot and sour soup again. I LOVE the idea that was mentioned upthread by a poster who opens up the egg rolls and just eats the insides. Brilliant! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CarolMK said:

One thing I'll admit that this show does for me is to force me to look at my own life and not feel sorry for myself, no matter what the circumstances. Last month I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and this past Tuesday I had surgery to remove the lump, and I'll have radiation for a  few weeks starting in a month- hopefully no chemotherapy will be needed. Seeing somebody like James, who put himself into this condition by his own behavior, acting so entitled and whiny really gets on my last nerve. If there was any way I could have prevented my cancer, I definitely would have done so. James is so many years into his behavior and addiction that he's beyond hope, and Dr. Now recognized that over the course of his visits with James. I have to wonder why Lisa didn't make any attempt to stop him along the way- it sounds like they've been together now almost 25 years. 

The one thing I think might be a bit harsh is when Lisa is taking the brunt of James's weight gain. Yes, she brings him the food, but it is his choice to either eat it or refuse. She isn't forcing him to overeat as far I could see. In her own sick way, she thinks she's making him happy, probably not realizing she's feeding his addiction. 

Wishing you the best as you fight this battle.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Another favorite moment.  James: "I gotta work harder and I'm gonna do it and show Dr Now I can do it." (or some such nonsense). Bayley:  "Do you want your weights now so you can work out?" James: "No, not right now."  LOL!

That was really funny. I swear I think Lisa asked him on purpose, at that moment, on Camera just to make him look sorry. Lisa was so passive aggressive at that moment to that baby bully and he walked right into it. I thought "good for you Lisa"

When he was first removed from the ambulance in Texas, he really "cut a shine" as we say here in the South.

"Ow, mah legs", "don't drop me don't drop me don't drop me", "watch mah foot, watch mah foot" "oh oh oh oh"

dr now "How y'all doin?"

"terrible pain" answers the EMT guys.

speaking of the EMT men, one finally yelled "get your arm in James"

and they also were aggravated getting him into that apartment.

A normal man would be ashamed for his woman and especially his daughter to see him spread eagle naked cleaning up his own shit. And most men would be ashamed to have firemen lifting pulling etc but he likes the attention.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

James an expert when it comes to the female persuasion? Hah! He's totally delusional. The only females that will listen to him are the ones he talks to on the phone right after he gives his credit card number.

Imagine those EMT guys having to listen to James spout that crap - world's expert on women? I imagine them staying entirely professional while he went on with his "advice", then getting together for beers and telling everybody the outrageous story! Heck, if the EMT guys have a forum like this, imagine what a field day they'd have with this?

• Love 4

I really want to take a pin to those bubble wrap blisters on his leGs and yes they did get way worse throughout the show. Is their water or pus or something in those bubbles? He said stuff drained but they weren't draining. I think his shit was draining on the bed. The bubbles never get smaller. Plus, when he was in the hospital wouldn't they have "worked" on the callouses and bubble wrap? He was just sitting there?

also, he was whining and mean asking for that Chinese food. She gave it to him to shut him up and his entire demeanor changed. He was euphoric, especially eating the pie 

• Love 6

James' cellulitis scares me. My dad fought an this infection for 2 years after he got it while undergoing chemo. Last month, he had his leg amputated at mid thigh. My dad was an active and athletic man and I can't imagine James surviving what my dad went through.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Trees said:

Imagine those EMT guys having to listen to James spout that crap - world's expert on women? I imagine them staying entirely professional while he went on with his "advice", then getting together for beers and telling everybody the outrageous story! Heck, if the EMT guys have a forum like this, imagine what a field day they'd have with this?

I'm an EMT and that'd have been a real trip. First, he's a difficult patient to begin with and then THAT? FML. As a female who takes care of herself (and tries to begin her shift looking and smelling pretty) I think I would've had eye strain from all the eyerolls that would have occurred. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, AdorkableWitch said:

James' cellulitis scares me. My dad fought an this infection for 2 years after he got it while undergoing chemo. Last month, he had his leg amputated at mid thigh. My dad was an active and athletic man and I can't imagine James surviving what my dad went through.  

Wow sorry to hear about your dad going through that- what a shame too that is so athletic and fit. Even though he had a poor outcome, I bet his overall good health was why they were even able to save his life, even though he lost his leg. Then you have this big wasteful lump-who some one upthread nailed it-- when they said that James is a person who just takes and consumes and gives back nothing to socieyy- just fine laying in his bed. Life really sucks some times. It doesn't seem fair, does it?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I'm an EMT and that'd have been a real trip. First, he's a difficult patient to begin with and then THAT? FML. As a female who takes care of herself (and tries to begin her shift looking and smelling pretty) I think I would've had eye strain from all the eyerolls that would have occurred. 

Have you ever had to transport a whale like James?  I don't know how they do it without either hurting themselves.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

How many gofundme pages does this guy have? I've seen 2 so far. One was created by Lisa, the other by someone named Courtney. Who is Courtney? 

I'm not going back onto the page, but I think she said she was Lisa's daughter.  So, if I'm correct, then it is one of her kids from her first marriage. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I did google sever cellulitis and that is what prompted my post this morning saying I think he is headed for an amputation if he doesn't die first.  And I believe he would die during that surgery!  

Not mention she gave him what he wanted.  Ergo, no reason to yell.  Had she denied him his request, I suspect all hell would have broken loose.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Trees said:

Have you ever had to transport a whale like James?  I don't know how they do it without either hurting themselves.

Not someone of James' size, but I have had folks in the 400s. We usually call for extra help and it looks like they had around 7 people while moving James. Even when we try to be careful, back injuries still happen--even with the battery operated cots. 

A patient like James would definitely be challenging--not directly due to his size, but also to his attitude. I get he was in chronic pain but the little things he screamed about--what a baby. I've treated kids with torn off limbs who behave better than James. 

1 minute ago, auntjess said:

A Chinook helicopter looks like the best bet.

IKR. It'd have to be a powerful one. We must know the weight of a person before even calling a helicopter and sometimes, they are just too heavy to be flown. Maybe one of the Hueys could carry him, I've never put a person that size into one. 

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, Honey said:

I want to stick a pin in him, and see if he deflates.

It cracks me up that the highest donation on his Gofundme page is from a Mexican Grill restaurant.

Btw, the campaign that they put up when the show was being filmed got an additional $45 in the last 2 days.  That was the one that stopped at $300 5 months ago and caused his dad to refinance the house.  It was for medical transport to Houston.  Did the people who made those 2 donations see the same show we saw?  

That campaign is trending right now.

• Love 2

Truth,

I have read nothing posted yet, been watching this show since it was created. Been pissed off, disgusted, angry, humored and all.

James is worse than Penny and Nicole combined.

Dr. Now makes them look like role models compared to the fully and completely scripted episode.

Dr Now sold himself fully this episode and James..you are an abusive pig and to your wife/gf, you are stupid. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

hafta admit when he was eating the Chinese take out I was shocked that he left some on the plate. Of course he could have been in a hurry to inhale the cheese cake. Dude needs some intervention, and the GF & daughter completely out of the pic, he is abusing them.

Me, too, but then I noticed he left the broccoli. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CarolMK said:

One thing I'll admit that this show does for me is to force me to look at my own life and not feel sorry for myself, no matter what the circumstances. Last month I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and this past Tuesday I had surgery to remove the lump, and I'll have radiation for a  few weeks starting in a month- hopefully no chemotherapy will be needed. Seeing somebody like James, who put himself into this condition by his own behavior, acting so entitled and whiny really gets on my last nerve. If there was any way I could have prevented my cancer, I definitely would have done so. James is so many years into his behavior and addiction that he's beyond hope, and Dr. Now recognized that over the course of his visits with James. I have to wonder why Lisa didn't make any attempt to stop him along the way- it sounds like they've been together now almost 25 years. 

The one thing I think might be a bit harsh is when Lisa is taking the brunt of James's weight gain. Yes, she brings him the food, but it is his choice to either eat it or refuse. She isn't forcing him to overeat as far I could see. In her own sick way, she thinks she's making him happy, probably not realizing she's feeding his addiction. 

Best of luck to you, CarolMK.  I have recently had chemo and after seeing so many others much worse off than me bravely endure treatment, it also irritates me to see James moaning and having a nasty attitude.  In two years, I have yet to hear one patient, even very sick ones,  in the treatment room complain or be anything other than cooperative and appreciative.  I know he has discomfort, but have some dignity and respect when people are trying to help you.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Portions in sit down restaurants are so absurd.  It amuses me when the waiter comes and asks of my meal "are you still working on that?"   Working on it.  Like it's a pile of firewood I need to work through and finish stacking before I can go inside and start playing video games.

Oh god. That is one of my major pet peeves. It sounds so awful. Slogging through this delicious meal. Trudging  

I love to eat and could lose some pounds. But even I sometimes lose my appetite if a giant load of something is served to me. Not even appetizing. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

Okay, I made Dr. GussieK look at the teevee screen.  He said the condition is known as elephantiasis nostras verrucosa.  It's a really bad kind of lympedema.  We're used to seeing bad lymphedema on this show, but this is worse.  One description says verrucosa is a "cobblestonelike appearance." 

Thanks for answering our question Dr GussieK.

Off to Google.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Okay, I made Dr. GussieK look at the teevee screen.  He said the condition is known as elephantiasis nostras verrucosa.  It's a really bad kind of lympedema.  We're used to seeing bad lymphedema on this show, but this is worse.  One description says verrucosa is a "cobblestonelike appearance." 

So, no cellulitis?   I thought it was lymphedema becaue it was weeping and we have seen that on this show before.  Not just this bad. 

30 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

IKR. It'd have to be a powerful one. We must know the weight of a person before even calling a helicopter and sometimes, they are just too heavy to be flown. Maybe one of the Hueys could carry him, I've never put a person that size into one. 

I never even thought that size would be an issue, but it makes sense. I work on the medical side of a big state campus and helicopters come in all the time. If I'm outside and see them, I always offer up a prayer for the person and the medical staff. I assume that if you're coming to the hospital in a helicopter, you've got problems. Imagine needing to be flown in, but you can't because of your own weight. Jeez Louise.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, operalover said:

There are 2 gofundme pages and on the other one, lots of people commented. https://www.gofundme.com/h974k26s

He's only got $459 and a lot of people are calling him out on his delusional BS. Of all the people on this show, he is--IMO--the least deserving of help, especially after the episode aired. I wonder if he and Lisa saw what the rest of us saw. If his dad mortgaging his home wasn't enough, nothing will be enough for James. 

• Love 5

Wow. Looks like Penny finally lost her crown as the most hated 600 lb life patient, and deservedly so! There's not anything I can add here that hasn't already been said, just commenting to add my "hell yeah."

It's unbelievable that we, the taxpayers, get to foot the bill for this useless eater and his pathetic enabler while our veterans are dying in the VA waiting for care, our homeless are freezing to death on the streets, and children are abused and neglected. All because this fat waste of space thinks he should be allowed to eat egg rolls and cheesecake whenever he wants and sure, let's add $5000 to our GoFundME page because, hey ... free money. I feel very sorry for his daughter and his father and I bow down to the EMTs, nurses, and doctors who had to transport and care for this blob because I am 100% sure I couldn't do it. He's going to die soon and I say good riddance. And yes, I already have my gas-soaked drawers ready for the bus.

Edited by MillieSparklepants
  • Love 15

All Lisa has to do is feed him his 1200 or 800 calories a day diet, and when he starts yelling, TAKE A WALK. if you come back and he is still yelling, take another walk. Or go in the other room and put earphones on and watch TV or listen to music.  Check in once every couple hours to change the poop pads.

On a more general note, I don't get the whole surgery idea. To me, it's like a shopaholic giving away all their money so they can't spend it anymore. I am waiting for one of the patients (the more compliant ones) to say "Hey, I lost 50 pounds this last month WITHOUT surgery, I am going to keep going and do it on my own."

And BTW, https://www.google.com/search?q=red+mac+laptop&tbm=isch&imgil=nWje5ZQAd3Kh_M%3A%3BThvoeL_iHqIGIM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.theregister.co.uk%252F2006%252F05%252F08%252Fcolorware_coloured_macbook_pros%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=nWje5ZQAd3Kh_M%3A%2CThvoeL_iHqIGIM%2C_&usg=__EhIDW6bizFLUeX-dVMx5V3jnIAk%3D&biw=1366&bih=635&ved=0ahUKEwi3qdmU4d7SAhXPZiYKHdYABEMQyjcIaQ&ei=IXrMWPeUMc_NmQHWgZCYBA#imgrc=nWje5ZQAd3Kh_M:

He had a silver one in bed to Skype with Dr. Now, Lisa and Bayley had a red one when they set up the Gofundme.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Lesia said:

Ever see an 843 pound Japanese person? 

its like after watching HOARDERS I want to clean my bathroom.

Every time I watch Hoarders, Salvation Army gets at least a few more bags of stuff. Nothing like watching reality tv to get your own life in order lol

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Okay, I made Dr. GussieK look at the teevee screen.  He said the condition is known as elephantiasis nostras verrucosa.  It's a really bad kind of lymphedema.  We're used to seeing bad lymphedema on this show, but this is worse.  One description says verrucosa is a "cobblestonelike appearance." 

As I've been saying  in this thread (20 and 30 pages back --don't bother to look for it) is that what is on his legs is not cellulitis. I've been saying it is something else that he calls cellulitis. I am glad the doctor is backing me up! They don't call me Dr. Opera for nothing.

Cellulitis starts out on the skin, with a rash or a purple painful spot -usually on lower legs but could also be on or near the face-and then spreads through your blood and whole system. Cellulitis is an acute infection where you have a high fever and need heavy antibiotics immediately. Some people  get IV antibiotics, some people injected and some take a series of horse pills. It is a type of staph infection. People at risk are the elderly, the hospitalized, the bed bound and people with cracked skin like excema. He must develop cellulitis a lot because being bed bound is a risk factor for it and having this elephantiasis is making him prone to cellulitis because the bacteria gets in through cuts and cracks in the skin.  I think someone else posted upthread that he was hospitalized for cellulitis a couple of times. There was another woman on My 600 pound life who developed cellulitis after her skin surgery- the bacteria got in because her stitches were open. 

It sounds better for him to say "My cellulitis is draining" than saying "my elephantitis is draining" 

Also as for you EMTs- god bless you- and having to lift bigger people-- I know a guy in the funeral business (my neighbor the undertaker) who got a slipped disk in his back picking up a 400 pound body. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Stephanie1216 said:

A normal man would be ashamed for his woman and especially his daughter to see him spread eagle naked cleaning up his own shit. And most men would be ashamed to have firemen lifting pulling etc but he likes the attention.

Exactly!!  My patience with him was exhausted by the end of the episode.  He's a whiny-ass, manipulative, man child who needs a wake up call.  He's really just a horrible person.  I know his life hasn't been great, but there's a lot of people with problems that don't act that way.

I really don't see why his girlfriend is getting bashed either.  This isn't her fault! He's an abusive bully and she's not bright enough to realize she can walk away.  

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, Ms. Bubba said:

Well they will probably bring him back for another show. Just when I am giving up cable TV.

You really don't need to watch, just come here.  I did watch, but I'm enjoying this conversation more, and thinking I could have saved 2 hours of my life.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Michael Stabosz said:

What's up with this season?  Why are there so many utter losers?  There's been like ONE participant who I didn't hate (I forget her name, but she was the one living with her niece).

And here I was thinking that classic episode of series are often in the earliest seasons, and here we are at season 5, and have 2 classic episodes, back to back.
I think Lisa is emotionally abused, and that's why she feels she has to give him the food he demands. (Thanks ID for teaching me about this stuff.)

Here is a link to one of the gofundmem maybe not the latest.  The contributions are old, but the comments are recent.
https://www.gofundme.com/h974k26s

1 hour ago, MillieSparklepants said:

t's unbelievable that we, the taxpayers, get to foot the bill for this useless eater and his pathetic enabler while our veterans are dying in the VA waiting for care, our homeless are freezing to death on the streets, and children are abused and neglected. All because this fat waste of space thinks he'd should be allowed to eat egg rolls and cheesecake whenever he wants and sure, let's add $5000 to our GoFundME page because, hey ... free money. I feel very sorry for his daughter and his father and I bow down to the EMTs, nurses, and doctors who had to transport and care for this blob because I am 100% sure I couldn't do it. He's going to die soon and I say good riddance.

I couldn't change a word.

Our national priorities are beyond screwed up while a piss poor excuse for a human being like James has enough to eat and a Super Deluxe Super Mega Gigantic Ultra Size Bed to sleep in, and a roof over his head every night.  Hospital treatments here and there, ten days of care here, month after month there.  And our veterans have waiting lists a mile long for basic care that they worked for and was promised to them by our government, our homeless go hungry and freeze, and services for our children and elderly are being cut as I type this.

All so our tax monies make it possible for James to continue to shovel food into his fat face, and do so in comfort.  It isn't right.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Well wings707 since, by your sheer participation in this thread and thus having been assigned your own personal pair of gasoline soaked drawers, please know that it's the proper attire everyone here will be wearing on our collective trip to Hell. For further explanation, please check out my post on page 3 of this discussion. Welcome!

• Love 9

As I spend time thinking about James and this episode, it occurred to me that he is just like Nicholas Cage's character in "Leaving Las Vegas". He is too far gone in his addiction. There is no hope for him, now or ever.

• Love 11