Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E33: 1 of 6 Voted Off

• Start Topic

Aw the birthday dinner was so cute. But one thing I was confused about was where they were. It looked like they were in someone's house, perhaps Caleb's mom's, but as far as I know she lives in North Carolina…. Or maybe she lives in LA, who knows. I found it a little bizarre though. It was cute though. I hope maybe that little moment might make people stop thinking Caleb is a douche and that he seems to be a real sweetheart. I noticed he always hugs his fellow contestants when he's called safe and he went right up to CJ and hugged him while he was singing. 

Glad we got to see the mic mishap too. In a weird way, I thought it was cute and adorable how he dropped the mic, slid onto the floor to grab it, and just kept right on singing. 

Believe it or not, I actually think Jessica looks better as a brunette than a blonde.

Thank you America for finally sending CJ home. Even Lazaro bowed out at #6. 

• Love 2
I hope maybe that little moment might make people stop thinking Caleb is a douche and that he seems to be a real sweetheart. I noticed he always hugs his fellow contestants when he's called safe and he went right up to CJ and hugged him while he was singing.

I also thought it was funny (and telling) when Ryan read the tweet from Carrie Underwood complimenting Caleb & Jena. Caleb sat there, calmly and maturely, while Jena was making her face and pumping her arms like a cocky idiot.

• Love 4

Ok so I asked before but I guess we don't know what happened to CJ's girlfriend, anyone know or did she just go home, odd they didn't mention it..they were showing her in the audience all the time crying and singing along with him and then last few weeks nothing...wow that family can cry but then so can I!!  It was time and I hate that stupid question Ryan has to put to a judge "do you think it is the right bottom 2?"  Harry's answer was great!  

I do feel more and more now that it is being geared to Jena/Caleb final two.  They are all in on it including Randy with his opinions...vote swayers!

So I read this band is the band from DWTS and I think the AI band is now on that show???  Is that right?  Could explain why a dance band would play louder than a band for singing?  Just askin'?!

Keith looked cool in the suit but his new hair do has not grown on me, liked the old one...Harry is so handsome it kills me.  JLO's makeup gets heavier every show but her dress fit her well and she looked good but she still ranks too much camera time.

I also thought it was funny (and telling) when Ryan read the tweet from Carrie Underwood complimenting Caleb & Jena. Caleb sat there, calmly and maturely, while Jena was making her face and pumping her arms like a cocky idiot.

Haha yeah I noticed that. I don't know about Jena but I know Caleb first saw Carrie's tweet because an interviewer showed it to him while he was interviewing him after the show and then Caleb later replied to it on Twitter. So maybe since he already knew about it, he didn't get excited (he could have still pretended though)

Know it was time, but dang if I didn't have tears in my eyes. I'm more a fan of Jessica but sure she won't be final three. It would be interesting to see a hometown visit to Slapout though!

It's so funny how perception colors things. I thought Caleb came off smug & entitled while Jena looked dorky & camera-aware. Of course I've moved from not enjoying Caleb to actively loathing him so I am admittedly biased.

So I read this band is the band from DWTS and I think the AI band is now on that show?

I hadn't heard that. I am familiar with the guitar player Rafa from a different competitive show, but I didn't think he'd been on DWTS. Huh.

Once more the winner for me was Grumpy Cat, although Keith in a suit was a close second, I just didn't care for his tie much.

• Love 1

It's so funny how perception colors things. I thought Caleb came off smug & entitled while Jena looked dorky & camera-aware. Of course I've moved from not enjoying Caleb to actively loathing him so I am admittedly biased.

I hadn't heard that. I am familiar with the guitar player Rafa from a different competitive show, but I didn't think he'd been on DWTS. Huh.

Once more the winner for me was Grumpy Cat, although Keith in a suit was a close second, I just didn't care for his tie much.

Wasn't Rafa on "Rockstar"?  I thought when I saw him the other night that that was what he was on.

I was distracted by Ryan's lips in the open with grumpy cat. I thought he had red lipstick on and was going to kiss the cat.

Kieth looked very handsome. I like his hair. It looks good on him, better than when it was longer.

• Love 1

Wasn't Rafa on "Rockstar"? I thought when I saw him the other night that that was what he was on.

Yes he was! That's how I know him as well. I had/have quite the tv crush on him & his lovely guitar.
  • Love 1

It was defintely CJ's time to go, but it still made me a little sad. Such a nice guy, and I love his megawatt smile. So sweet to see how much the other contestants care for him. Thought Keith smiling and singing along to CJ's final song was strange. But he did look killer in his suit.

Can we vote Grumpy Cat for the win? I told my hubby that Grumpy Cat's real name is Tardar Sauce. He replied "No wonder he is grumpy".

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 3

I almost didn't watch this because of the "shock boot" rumors. I figured that neither Caleb nor Jena were going to be anywhere near bottom 2, and that CJ (because it was, frankly, his time) and Jessica (because of the way the judges have been critiquing her) would not be classified as "shocks", which left Sam & Alex, who have become my favorites this season, and I didn't want to see either leave.

I'm happy with the way it panned out. CJ has his strengths, but since actually staying in tune should be a pretty basic requirement for a singing competition, his outlasting anyone else at this point would have been unfair. I like him and wish him the best. Maybe he can overcome his pitch issues, in which case he could have a solid career, but for this particular time and place, his elimination was the right choice.

Having Sam & Alex stay pleases me because, first, Sam is showing improvement from week to week, and that's always interesting to watch even if it doesn't actually progress to the point of providing a viable "idol" before the time runs out. And, second, Alex has, to my ears, given more "moments" to the season than anyone else. They may be pretty small and subtle "moments", but moments nonetheless. His choices of chord structures within otherwise low-key arrangements have given them a hint of freshness and originality which really speaks of his musical sensibilities, and I find that impressive.

• Love 2

It'll be interesting to see if Sam ever ventures back into the audience.  I shouldn't have but I laughed when he said how scary it was almost being pulled into the audience.  It wouldn't have been funny if it had actually happened but I have no doubt it freaked him out a bit.

Whoever does Jennifer's wardrobe please hide all the shortie, short dresses/skirts as once again tonight she looked terrific in a decent length dress.  So much classier than those short little things she's come out in.

No idea why this was supposed to be a "shocking elimination"?  Seriously?  I agree that Harry's response was good when Ryan asked if the right choice had been made.  It's been said before but bears repeating - at this stage of the competition if America has made a mistake than so has the show.  I don't like the pimping of one contestant over another by the judges - never have and never will.  I know it's not realistic, but contests should be a level playing field which it definitely isn't when you have judging biases.

Grumpy cat really is relaxed isn't he?  I also had no idea how small he really is. 

Why is it that the men can show emotion and yet when a female does she's called cocky?  Or conversely if a man doesn't show emotion he's mature and reserved yet when a female doesn't show emotion she's a robot or a bitch?

What I saw was a young lady who was excited that someone she admires giving her a compliment and a young man who accepted the praise quietly.  Both are entitled to react to the news in whatever way suits their personality.  Jena is a overly demonstrative, hyper young lady and Caleb is more introspective (excepting the "woooooo."

I saw nothing wrong with either reaction.

• Love 2

Next week should be interesting for sure.  My thoughts are if Jessica goes next, and then the final 4 sees the elimination of either Sam or Alex, the voters will join together (Sam votes go to Alex, or Alex votes all go to Sam)  and one of the chosen two (Caleb/Jeeeeena) will be booted from being in the final two.   I see either Sam or Alex in the finale.  

Edited by MrsMoltisanti
  • Love 2

Wow. There are no words for how much I couldn't stand Jeh-na at that dinner. Shocker that CJ got to speak. As someone mentioned even when she speaks, imo too, she has some air of coming across as if she thinks she's all that. ("I've opened the show three times and it's so hard."  or whatever the hell she said . Boo hoo.  

Caleb, imo, had a non-reaction to Underwood's tweet. I would have thought he didn't even hear it. He reacts loudly to things that aren't specifically about him ( ifsomeone speaks to the whole group, for example) so it's odd to me for him to seemingly have no reaction to a compliment. I didn't even see a small nod of acknowledgment. Maybe I blinked and missed it.

Edited by ari333

I didn't even see a small nod of acknowledgment. Maybe I blinked and missed it.

He smiled and I think there was a small nod, too. 

So....CJ and Jessica in the bottom two with CJ leaving was considered a shocker?  Maybe to new viewers who haven't followed the show all of these years.  I won't be surprised if Jessica goes next week.  Is the elimination for the final 4 still a shock more often than not (remember when it was the dreaded show because someone unexpected always left at #4?)?  If not, then I'm guessing Sam will go because they seem to be making sure that Jena is on a roll (subliminal messaging and all of that...) and Caleb has never been in the bottom three.  What about Alex?  Has he ever been in the bottom three?

I agree with everyone who thinks they want a Jena/Caleb finale.

Edited by Shannon L.

So Mraz is the next mentor? I missed Ryan mentioning that. Interesting. Seems like that's Alex's wheelhouse and possibly deliberate by TPTB and to a lesser extent maybe semi-Sam's wheelhouse. If Slapout wasn't jaded before, I don't blame her if she is after these recent proceedings. Wow.  

I actively loathe Jen-na now. If I watched the show alone I'd change the channel when she shows her face, but my husband mocks her pronunciation of "love" = loaf, among other weird sounding words, and he can't stop himself. :) I just wish she'd sing normally and stop screeching. Additionally, this is a nit, but I really can't stand that "serious" pouty face she makes when the judges are bathing her. It's gag inducing. 

Alex was so sweet patting Jessica on the back before the announcement. I'm a sucker for sweet, humble, non-drama, "nice" people. Even though that could be said about Sam too in the nice kid department; But as someone mentioned, he's the blandest bland who ever toasted white bread ....with vanilla sprinkles. (Ok, I added the sprinkles.)

• Love 2

Whoever does Jennifer's wardrobe please hide all the shortie, short dresses/skirts as once again tonight she looked terrific in a decent length dress.  So much classier than those short little things she's come out in.

Not only does she look much classier is longer length dresses, she looks a good 15 - 20 pounds heavier when she wears barely crotch length dresses/skirts. I'm not sure if no one has bothered to tell her that, or her wardrobe people dislike her and put her in them on purpose.

I am amazed that Jena continues to hang in there. Besides the fact that she is annoying and I usually hate her songs, wasn't she saved by the judges way back in the top 13 pick? Can't imagine why the audience was willing to boot her then and since apparently has been happy to keep her in.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I am amazed that Jena continues to hang in there. Besides the fact that she is annoying and I usually hate her songs, wasn't she saved by the judges way back in the top 13 pick? Can't imagine why the audience was willing to boot her then and since apparently has been happy to keep her in.

THIS. So much word. I do not understand it either. It's puzzling. The pimpification of Jehna is gag-worthy though, imo.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Waves to ari333, who prompted me to venture over here.

I did feel bad for CJ, but good grief, if you can't sing in tune, that's a problem if you want to be a singer.  Some would say that's not the case in these days of autotune, but I think that for a singer whose strength is a genuine emotional connection with his audience, autotune would be a mistake.  I hope someone can work with CJ to improve his pitch because he has a very nice quality to his singing, IMO.

So Jessica has been bottom 2 the past couple of weeks, right?  Maybe that means she's next on the chopping block.

• Love 1

I'm actually a little sad that CJ is leaving but my ears are doing cartwheels. I've said it before but it stands saying again - I can't understand how out of tune he was singing. Isn't he a guitar teacher? Doesn't he teach his students how to TUNE a guitar (or do people do it now using an Iphone, not the old fashioned way, young whippersnappers, harrumph!) 

Glad we got to see the mic mishap too. In a weird way, I thought it was cute and adorable how he dropped the mic, slid onto the floor to grab it, and just kept right on singing.

I was also quite impressed when Caleb threw himself on the floor, grabbed the mike and kept going. It sure takes somebody with a lot of performance experience and having his wits about him to pull that off. And we didn't even get to see it on the first night - the viewing public didn't get that coloring their impression of Caleb. 

It's so obvious that JenaNotGina is the chosen FEMALE FINALIST. Even though she's got a weird affect, I would rather watch and listen to Slapout Jessica anytime. I'm thinking there's pushing for a Jena/Caleb finale but my fear is that if Caleb gets voted off earlier, Alex or Sam may not have a strong enough persona or voting base (I'm not talking talent because I believe the boys are much more talented than the girls this year) to win. Then we will be stuck with JenaNot-Gina as AI royalty. IMHO Idol's had its image problems and other issues over the years, I still enjoy watching it and get roped in every single year, much more than any other competition singing show. 

• Love 1

Waves to ari333, who prompted me to venture over here.

I did feel bad for CJ, but good grief, if you can't sing in tune, that's a problem if you want to be a singer.  Some would say that's not the case in these days of autotune, but I think that for a singer whose strength is a genuine emotional connection with his audience, autotune would be a mistake.  I hope someone can work with CJ to improve his pitch because he has a very nice quality to his singing, IMO.

So Jessica has been bottom 2 the past couple of weeks, right?  Maybe that means she's next on the chopping block.

Beth! Woot! I say "woot" because I'm all classy and demonstrative like that hee. Welcome to the dark side... as I make beckoning hand gestures. :)

I thought CJ sounded mostly in tune on his sing out. How is that possible? Is it that there was no pressure? We were puzzled here at the house.

So Mraz is the next mentor? I missed Ryan mentioning that. Interesting. Seems like that's Alex's wheelhouse and possibly deliberate by TPTB and to a lesser extent maybe semi-Sam's wheelhouse. If Slapout wasn't jaded before, I don't blame her if she is after these recent proceedings. Wow.

Well, it can be said that this week was tailor made for her.  I thought Alex was at a distinct disadvantage this week for both genres, so was happy that he avoided the bottom two.  It'll be interesting to see how Caleb reacts to this type of mentor -- do we know what the song "theme" is? 

To clarify, was the media saying that the "results" were shocking, or that it would be a shocking "elimination?" If the media was saying it would be shocking "results", then I could see that since I don't think many people were expecting Jessica to be in the bottom 2 after a pretty solid night and closing the show. 

Grumpy Cat is actually a girl I think

I also noticed CJ seemed to be more in tune on his sing out than pretty much any other performance the whole season. Keith noted once, I think, that when CJ is nervous he tends to sing sharp because of the adrenaline, so maybe since there was no pressure, it didn't happen.

do we know what the song "theme" is?

America's choice.  A while ago, Ryan was prompting people to tweet songs that they think the contestants should sing.  Based on the submissions, each singer will get a short list of songs, taken off of twitter, to choose from. 

Should be interesting.....

Am I over-thinking this or does anyone else think that CJ was in tune last night during his farewell song because he did NOT have his guitar?  I don't know, just an observation.  I thought a long time ago Harry said something about CJ not being the greatest guitar player (or maybe he was talking about someone else, can't remember).  Another observation of mine--when Jennifer wears her oh-so-short dresses, there's always ONE camera scanning her from below floor level.  I haven't noticed that happening when she is wearing pants or longer dresses.  I've seen that happen with Jena as well, when she was wearing some uber short cut off jeans. 

• Love 1

Am I over-thinking this or does anyone else think that CJ was in tune last night during his farewell song because he did NOT have his guitar?  I don't know, just an observation.  I thought a long time ago Harry said something about CJ not being the greatest guitar player (or maybe he was talking about someone else, can't remember).  Another observation of mine--when Jennifer wears her oh-so-short dresses, there's always ONE camera scanning her from below floor level.  I haven't noticed that happening when she is wearing pants or longer dresses.  I've seen that happen with Jena as well, when she was wearing some uber short cut off jeans.

You're not over thinking it imo. I hadn't thought of the lack of guitar. My mind immediately went to, "oh he's not under pressure or judgment." But yes, not having the guitar does ma sense to me.

I noticed the camera work too. They could at least try to do the below pan  camera shot when everyone is covered and fully clothed... you know... just to try to make it look not skeevy.

I don't know if the lack of guitar really had anything to do with it. Has he ever had a good performance when he didn't play guitar? He's played a least a couple other times without the guitar and I can't remember if that really made any improvement.

Edited by BogoGog24

CJ sounded more in tune on his rock song than Sam or Alex did on theirs to me, but regressed to his normal issues on the country song.

I doubt the guitar is the issue. He has sung in tune a couple times with the guitar, just not usually and ironically pretty much never on a country song, which is supposed to be his genre.

Alex's pitch wasn't terrible, but was un characteristically off in spots on both songs, though more so on the rock song. I wonder if his effort to not do the pee pee dance had anything to do with it.

Resigning myself to being annoyed when Sam inevitably outlasts Jessica.

It might be like asking Caleb to dance contemporary if he was on that other show!!!  LOL

Well the boy plays tennis (which I still find very odd) and likes throwing himself on the floor to cover up the flying mike so you never know (**image of Caleb in a unitard hopping around the stage***)

Somebody remarked that CJ is not a great guitar player? Dude is supposed to be a guitar teacher. Perhaps it's hard for him to concentrate on playing and singing at the same time. 

Perhaps you're right- Alex was trying not to do the cricket leg rub/ pee pee dance and his pitch suffered. But not as much as BlessHisHeart CJ ever did. 

• Love 1

There are lots of people who give guitar lessons out of their house that aren't great guitar players. CJ has not done anything that made me think he was either particularly good or bad. You can't usually hear them much on the idol stage. I'd be willing to wager that he's significantly less talented on guitar than Alex, but competant enough to not be messing himself up with it. Shouldn't affect his pitch anyway, unless his guitar is out of tune. Strumming chords and singing at the same time isn't really that hard, unless the arrangement or rhythm of the song is very tricky or you're very inexperienced.

Harry did say something negative about his guitar playing early on, but whether he meant in general or on that specific song I don't know.

Edited by Joystickenvy

Resigning myself to being annoyed when Sam inevitably outlasts Jessica.

Yes, it sucks that American Idol has it's Beiber now.  

Ugh.

Okay, to be fair Sam isn't quite as bad as Beiber, but ultimately he's BLAND. His voice and performance have no character to them at all.  It's all about girls screaming about how cute they think he is.  Which I suppose is great for building a star, even if it's shit for building an actual performer.

I don't find Sam that cute, I think his shyness was refreshing in the beginning but got old quick!  The way he smiles drives me nuts and I want to whiten those teeth, why are they so yellow at his age!  I digress......his singing is good when I don't look at him.  

I don't find Sam that cute, I think his shyness was refreshing in the beginning but got old quick!  The way he smiles drives me nuts and I want to whiten those teeth, why are they so yellow at his age!  I digress......his singing is good when I don't look at him.  

I feel shallow saying this, but is it just me? I have to ask. When Sam smiles (bless his heart) he opens his mouth and puts the bottom of his top teeth on the top of his bottom teeth....if that makes sense. I know what I'm trying to say. It's like he just stacks his teeth together and doesn't really "smile." Ok I'm going to hell.