Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Wasteland Warriors

Yeah, so, I'll comment more fully on this tomorrow, got some animal emergencies going on right now, but W. T. F.  I HATE these TBC shows, especially when I don't know they are coming.  The mood I'm in.....F you, show.  Like this needed two weeks.

• Love 3

I don't like this kind of movie or the makeup that goes with it.  But I liked listening to them describe what they sort of decided to do.  Why not, however, take six or seven pieces of vehicle back and work them in, as the designs evolve.

I liked the not-winners  chances to react to critics's comments, which is a lot more guidance than we ever hear on Project Runway "you have an hour to cut up your dress".  This probably is a lot more real life, in reacting to a producer/show runner's complaints.  

Totally unimportant: did the dude with magenta hair give himself a jester's tricornered hat on purpose?  

Will the car be a true award, or will it be a one year lease?

The judges sounded not very enthused tonight, or was I just not that into this episode?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, enoughcats said:

I don't like this kind of movie or the makeup that goes with it.  But I liked listening to them describe what they sort of decided to do.  Why not, however, take six or seven pieces of vehicle back and work them in, as the designs evolve.

I liked the not-winners  chances to react to critics's comments, which is a lot more guidance than we ever hear on Project Runway "you have an hour to cut up your dress".  This probably is a lot more real life, in reacting to a producer/show runner's complaints.  

Totally unimportant: did the dude with magenta hair give himself a jester's tricornered hat on purpose?  

Will the car be a true award, or will it be a one year lease?

The judges sounded not very enthused tonight, or was I just not that into this episode?

I wasn't into this episode, but I think because there wasn't much for them to actually do for character design, since they are just humans. Again they all looked pretty much alike for me, just like the snow queens one.

Loved the recap, Monty - much better than the show actually.  The only character I liked at all was the one that won.  Cig and George earned that win.  The rest all looked muddy and boring although I did like Emily's headdress even if it did seem out of place.  

I hope Keaglan and Melissa end up eliminated next because I was sick of looking at them the first time around.  That hat Keaglan had on was beyond ridiculous.  She tries so hard to be edgy or something that she just looks foolish and juvenile.

• Love 2

Count me in as not a fan of this sort of film. I'm all for dystopian themes but a junked out/souped out car is not my thing.

I liked Ve's hairstyle - a change from her usual.

The winners deserved the win - Emily's headdress was spectacular, but for another challenge. The rest didn't really interest me. Nothing stood out.

I didn't like the second chance given to the rest - maybe they all could have been sent home and it would be a much shorter season. I had taped the show to watch something else and thought it odd that the winner was announced 'early' - and not the commercial break first.

I have a single garage and such a three door car (the Hyundai) wouldn't work for me as I probably couldn't get the door open.

Why is this to be continued? Are they going to have the entire episode devoted to the extra last looks hour? Or are they going to jam in another challenge after the elimination? Either way it sounds bad.

I think Emily is taking this whole hair thing a little too far, every week her own hair gets bigger & wilder.

• Love 4

I did appreciate Cig and George wearing actual pants to the reveal stage.

I wish someone had commented on how unoriginal Team Smurf was.  I mean, they basically just made Furiosa.  I know most of them were variations on a theme, but they also tried to have a few unexpected elements.

I also disagree with esteemed director Paul WS Anderson that Emily and Tyler didn't satisfy the challenge.  Theirs reminded me more of the glam look on Tina Turner in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (so, so underrated).  Because it wasn't just a mass of scars and burns.

• Love 11

I wasn't crazy about the premise of this challenge - create a driver to go with the post-apocalyptic vehicle and incorporate three car parts? Ehhhhh. Most of them ended up just looking like burn victims with car parts strapped to them.

I liked Emily and Tyler's, mostly because the face looked different from the other burn victims. I liked the color gradation, all the piercings, and the crazy hair. The dirt was really well done too. Often when a character is supposed to be dirty or dusty, they end up with either one artful streak of dirt on the face or they look like they have on too much bronzer. The dirty/dusty skin looked very realistic on this chaacteer.

The best part of Cig and George's was the metal mohawk. I hated the radiator just stuck on the top of her shoulder like a pirate's parrot. Their model was really selling the character though.

My favorite part about Ben and Evan's was the coolant mask. I didn't like the makeup on the face though.

I have mixed feelings about giving the bottom two teams another hour for last looks. I agree that it seems like a realistic situation in this line of work.

I couldn't decide about Logan and Adam's bird character. The bird skull headpiece was interesting but they put way too much black on her face.

One of my issues with Team Blue's character is that she was supposed to be dirty and then she had bright gold on her face. Did she find some post-apocalyptic gold that's dust repellant?

I liked the idea of the cage on the chest that Rachael and Gage made but the overall execution was not great. His face was too orange and the coloring on the chest was so obvious. It was orange until the cage.

I have mixed feelings about giving the bottom two teams an additional hour at last looks. I agree that it's probably the kind of thing that would realistically happen in this line of work, and I think that both teams had enough comments from the judges to make changes. But I hate that the producers decided not to include the rest of the judging in this week's episode. So lame. I like Face Off for a lot of reasons, and most of them are because they do the opposite of most competitive reality shows, so I hate that they are stooping to one of worst tactics. Look, syfy, I watch the show every week. Giving us a cliffhanger doesn't mean I'm more likely to watch a show that I was already going to watch. Please don't treat the faithful viewers like this. Weak move.

I don't know why Keaghlan (and other contestants with non-traditional hair colors) get so much hate. Maybe it's because I live in California, but brightly colored hair is very common. It's pretty much everywhere you go - the cashiers at Trader Joe's have purple and blue hair. I know a nurse with pink and purple hair. I know a science grad student with bright blue hair. There are elementary school kids with colored streaks in their hair. Just as tattoos used to be mostly seen on certain types of people (military, bikers, etc) and are now commonplace, Manic Panic shades of hair used to be limited to people in creative fields (makeup artists, tattoo artists, performers) and now I walk around and see suburban moms, older woman in their 60s, and little kids with brightly colored hair (in addition to the more creative types I know with crazy colored hair). Same with piercings - it's not just the alternative crowd anymore with pierced noses/lips/eyebrows anymore. One of my sister's friends in high school was a competitive cheerleader (at a private cheer gym, not at the school) and she had a pierced eyebrow - and that was over a decade ago.

• Love 5

Take a look at the Sneak Peak for next week's episode.  The three changed models are there, in detail.  So I guess this would be a spoiler if you go there.  

Or don't go there, if spoilers aren't your thing.

(edited)
10 hours ago, starri said:

I also disagree with esteemed director Paul WS Anderson that Emily and Tyler didn't satisfy the challenge.  Theirs reminded me more of the glam look on Tina Turner in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (so, so underrated).  Because it wasn't just a mass of scars and burns.

Yes, their look was stunning.  WTF, in the dystopian world there is no beauty?  Has he not seen all the beautiful women in Fury Road or Tina Turner's character in Thunderdome?  There are no rules in this landscape and you can look however you want.  Who cares if it was too...tribal...what does that even mean?

Everybody else just looked like roided out Freddy Kruegers.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11

So, I'm back (ish) with my scintillating comments...I think we've covered my hate of TBC episodes.  I'm not a Mad Max fan at ALL, but I thought this was a decent idea for concepts.  I wish they'd shown older movie makeups though.  I too had to wonder if Emily had any reference point, which I'm not so sure since they got dinged on challenge dodging.  Which..........I don't get at all, but whatever, thanks editing.  It was kind of bird like with the feathers, made me think of that one challenge a while back, wish I could remember the name.  Some of those ideas felt very done to me, like I'd seen them before.  Once again, props to the models for selling those makeups.  I initially did not like Cig/George's at all, but it grew on me and was clearly very, very good.  I'm sorry, but I HATED Evan/Ben's.  From the color to the fact it didn't stand up well to C/G's similar look.  Should have just sent them home. I DID like Logan/Adam's though, despite the technical difficulties......reminded me a bit of Logan's (winning?) character in the do it to yourself challenge.  Again, Melissa/Keighlan were disappointing....too minimal, as was Rachael/Gage.  Not enough Mad Max, too much Walking Dead.  Or Shaun Of The Dead.  Ve did indeed look very pretty in her new do, and I will always love Emily's hair.  Sheer jealousy, but I can do that!  That headband was very Ursula Andress in Clash of the Titans though.  I got it all?  Maybe.....I had some pot shot comments I left out just because it is mean, and I was in a foul mood.  So if anyone channels me, that's cool, I'll give you a like LOL.

• Love 2

Besides, Emily and Tyler has anyone else been a little disappointed in this season?  The make ups really have not been that memorable and the contestants are not that distinctive.  I do not even remember half the people from their season and I have seen every episode of this show.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Points for the most ridiculous stagger through British towns.

I'm tough on movies, but I laugh through this one..till the end, which always makes me depressed......

40 minutes ago, qtpye said:

has anyone else been a little disappointed in this season?

No.  Because as complainy (yeah, its a word, but not really) as we've been over the last few seasons, look at how much worse it could have been!  And I'm the least positive person in the world.  I have my own monogrammed Eeyore cloud.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

Out of place?  Not at all.  Not if Mad Max has Bob Mackey as the costumer, that is.

Honestly, I would watch that movie. Priscilla, Queen of the Road Warrior.

• Love 6

I actually liked Emily and Tyler's look. Aside from the stellar application I think it was cool that they thought outside the box and I hate that they were penalized for it. A dystopian, post apocalyptic world can literally be anything you want it to be. Why couldn't their character exist in that type of world? I really didn't care for the burn victim looks and I think it's really close minded of the judges to think that that is the only acceptable type of makeup to fulfill the challenge. 

• Love 8

Generally not a fan of the Road Warrior type movies, because I can't stop asking myself where are the refineries that they get the gasoline from to keep the cars going?  I also laughed when McKenzie introduced the challenge and said about no one being more important than the drivers of the road warrior cars, I muttered to myself, like the mechanics that keep them running.

I also liked Emily and Tyler's look and agree that while it was not a typical dystopian Mad Max look, it was hardly way outside the range either.  I realized that in a movie like this there would be lead characters, background extras (like the samurai-biker) and close-up extras (pretty much all the burned characters).  Emily and Tyler's look could fit any of those, and I liked it best of all.  George and Cig were lucky that they had a strong concept and a model that sold it.

• Love 4

I thought the reason Emily and Tyler's character did not fit the challenge was that it was so obviously alien, and the  brief was for a post-apocalyptic human.  And I didn't go back and check the cars too closely, but would her headdress even have fit in the car?

I don't mind the bottom looks getting another go at it.  It's realistic and would happen in real life on a movie set.  They've done similar things before. In one of the finales where they were doing the makeup for a mini-film, the director did some initial shooting and then they reviewed it together while he gave them feedback so they could change it before the final  filming.

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Besides, Emily and Tyler has anyone else been a little disappointed in this season?  The make ups really have not been that memorable and the contestants are not that distinctive.  I do not even remember half the people from their season and I have seen every episode of this show.

Me too.  It's become a chore to watch this show. 

Is it the first time in 11 seasons that they didn't cut to commercial when Glen announced the winner?

• Love 1

This thing with Emily and Tyler's concept is that head dress came directly out of the face, there was no line of demarcation  so it looked like an alien, not a human. I agree, it was pretty flawless but it was not the challenge. Had they made it a more distinct head dress, they might have won it.

I was so disappointed with Melissa and Kaleigh's creation. They've gotten spooked and are trying desperately to play it safe. They need to cut loose and really just go freekin wild with it! Glen said as much about the first thing they created this season. I think Kaleigh is holding Melissa back(just like I thought Jasmine held Stella back.....George is damn lucky to be with Cig otherwise he just would not be cutting it. Evan and Ben are a match made in mediocre hell)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lovely said:

I really didn't care for the burn victim looks and I think it's really close minded of the judges to think that that is the only acceptable type of makeup to fulfill the challenge. 

Have they never heard of Tank Girl?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, diebartdie said:

This thing with Emily and Tyler's concept is that head dress came directly out of the face, there was no line of demarcation  so it looked like an alien, not a human.

How the is it acceptable to have gears sticking out of your head like a Mohawk, but not feathers?  Someone can stick gears in their skin, but not feathers?  In the road warrior world there are all types of body modification weirdness going on with humans.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't know why Keaghlan (and other contestants with non-traditional hair colors) get so much hate. Maybe it's because I live in California, but brightly colored hair is very common. It's pretty much everywhere you go - the cashiers at Trader Joe's have purple and blue hair. I know a nurse with pink and purple hair. I know a science grad student with bright blue hair. There are elementary school kids with colored streaks in their hair. Just as tattoos used to be mostly seen on certain types of people (military, bikers, etc) and are now commonplace, Manic Panic shades of hair used to be limited to people in creative fields (makeup artists, tattoo artists, performers) and now I walk around and see suburban moms, older woman in their 60s, and little kids with brightly colored hair (in addition to the more creative types I know with crazy colored hair). Same with piercings - it's not just the alternative crowd anymore with pierced noses/lips/eyebrows anymore. One of my sister's friends in high school was a competitive cheerleader (at a private cheer gym, not at the school) and she had a pierced eyebrow - and that was over a decade ago.

Yep. I don't know what all the fuss is about. 

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

How the is it acceptable to have gears sticking out of your head like a Mohawk, but not feathers?  Someone can stick gears in their skin, but not feathers?  In the road warrior world there are all types of body modification weirdness going on with humans.

The feathers I had no problem with, nor do I think the judges had a problem with that part of it, it's this: the shape of it, it's neither a real head dress, nor is it some weird body modification (although it's much closer to being a body mod). If it's a head dress, how does it attach to her head in the front there? If it's a body mod, like as Emily described it, bones under the skin, why did it not stretch the eyes out more, why is there no distortion to the face to account for such a radical body modification? That's why the judges perceived it as more "alien" otherwise it's just not working ***for this challenge***. It's a straight up gorgeous makeup and was my favorite but it either missed the point of the challenge or doesnt make sense. All the other makeups that featured hunks of metal or wires or whatever sticking into the models heads, faces or bodies had the bit of build up that reads as scar tissue. This one lacks scar tissue, it just looked organic like an alien. Great makeup though, way better than the winner but still, didnt hit the mark.

faceoff.JPG

• Love 6

I think the reason that Emily and Tyler "didn't fit the challenge" is that they didn't want them winning 3 weeks in a row.  I didn't see alien and it did remind me of Tina Turner.  That doesn't mean that it couldn't read alien but if it is ambiguous then i think it is lame to declare it out of the challenge as Glen did.  I thought it was easily the best although Cig and George did a good job.  But if we are talking alien i kept seeing a duller version of Nebula in their basic shapes gearbox or no gearbox.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, diebartdie said:

The feathers I had no problem with, nor do I think the judges had a problem with that part of it, it's this: the shape of it, it's neither a real head dress, nor is it some weird body modification (although it's much closer to being a body mod). If it's a head dress, how does it attach to her head in the front there? If it's a body mod, like as Emily described it, bones under the skin, why did it not stretch the eyes out more, why is there no distortion to the face to account for such a radical body modification? That's why the judges perceived it as more "alien" otherwise it's just not working ***for this challenge***. It's a straight up gorgeous makeup and was my favorite but it either missed the point of the challenge or doesnt make sense. All the other makeups that featured hunks of metal or wires or whatever sticking into the models heads, faces or bodies had the bit of build up that reads as scar tissue. This one lacks scar tissue, it just looked organic like an alien. Great makeup though, way better than the winner but still, didnt hit the mark.

faceoff.JPG

Thank you for explaining this to me way better then the show did last night.  I, for the life of me, could not figure out how the hell could you "break the rules" for literally a "a world with no rules" as movie promo voice guy would say.

I think the reason that Emily and Tyler "didn't fit the challenge" is that they didn't want them winning 3 weeks in a row.  I didn't see alien and it did remind me of Tina Turner.  That doesn't mean that it couldn't read alien but if it is ambiguous then i think it is lame to declare it out of the challenge as Glen did.  I thought it was easily the best although Cig and George did a good job.  But if we are talking alien i kept seeing a duller version of Nebula in their basic shapes gearbox or no gearbox.

Besides Emily and Tyler, all the contestants are lack luster.  Emily and Tyler are the only ones that try to think outside the box in any type of creative way (remember their snow queen was inspired by snow covered pines).

I actually think the team format has actually hurt, because it seems to have muted the individual visions, instead of doubling the creativity.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Thank you for explaining this to me way better then the show did last night.  I, for the life of me, could not figure out how the hell could you "break the rules" for literally a "a world with no rules" as movie promo voice guy would say.

Me either.  I had no idea how this was being applied, at all.  If anything, that whole "doesn't fit the challenge" thing muddied the waters for me, because you could ARGUABLEY apply it to other characters as well.  Plus, it was said more than once with no explanation, which I would guess falls on the editing.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I actually think the team format has actually hurt, because it seems to have muted the individual visions, instead of doubling the creativity

I'm going to respectfully disagree here a little bit.  Because the teams we chosen with creativity in mind as opposed to mindlessly screaming at each other about who's idea was better, I think on this season people are for the most part working well together.  There will always be hiccups, but I'd like to think of it as bringing out the strengths in each other as opposed to highlighting the weaknesses.  However, they couldn't go wrong having an individual challenge, and I have to wonder if they won't split the teams a bit, or swap them, when we have less people.

*WHOSE  It's been a rough week.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree here a little bit.  Because the teams we chosen with creativity in mind as opposed to mindlessly screaming at each other about who's idea was better, I think on this season people are for the most part working well together.  There will always be hiccups, but I'd like to think of it as bringing out the strengths in each other as opposed to highlighting the weaknesses.  However, they couldn't go wrong having an individual challenge, and I have to wonder if they won't split the teams a bit, or swap them, when we have less people.

*WHOSE  It's been a rough week.

Overall, I agree as, as most of the fans of this show watch it for the talent and not usual reality show drama.  However, the output has just not been there.  Even though no one is screaming at each other, the visions have been drab and uninspired.  This is why we are getting almost identical ice queens or Mad Max burn victims.   It has been a little boring.  Maybe it will start picking up next week, as the teams get stronger.

Still a fan of the show.

• Love 2

My son the Gherkin doesn't watch as much with me anymore, but when SyFy runs back to back episodes the tv goes on, and stays there.......he was sitting with me when the Snow Queens epi was on, and he said "Why are they even allowed to see what each other is doing?  Shouldn't they have walls or something b/w booths so they don't all look alike?"  I understand how that would present a fundamental problem, but he's not totally wrong.  It got me thinking, for sure............if you are struggling and look over at a more successful team, would that not jumpstart an idea/look?  I don't know how that would even be possible to accomplish, but it's something to consider.  Looking forward to seeing what ya'll think........

• Love 3
(edited)

If you were a woman, struggling to survive in a hard post-apocalyptical world, would you really bother with putting on makeup?  I find that kind of unrealistic.  Just like when they have animals wearing clothes...

Edited by Betelnut
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, sourpickles said:

My son the Gherkin doesn't watch as much with me anymore, but when SyFy runs back to back episodes the tv goes on, and stays there.......he was sitting with me when the Snow Queens epi was on, and he said "Why are they even allowed to see what each other is doing?  Shouldn't they have walls or something b/w booths so they don't all look alike?"  I understand how that would present a fundamental problem, but he's not totally wrong.  It got me thinking, for sure............if you are struggling and look over at a more successful team, would that not jumpstart an idea/look?  I don't know how that would even be possible to accomplish, but it's something to consider.  Looking forward to seeing what ya'll think........

That is actually genius! It would indeed be very interesting if they couldn't see what everyone was working on.

I could easily be wrong but I thought the reason the headdress didn't fit the challenge was simply because the huge feathers didn't seem to come from that bleak, barren, browned-out landscape.  They looked more tropical.  I guess the character could have been wearing them when she survived the apocalypse but that seems like a big stretch.

2 hours ago, Betelnut said:

If you were a woman, struggling to survive in a hard post-apocalyptical world, would you really bother with putting on makeup?  I find that kind of unrealistic.  Just like when they have animals wearing clothes...

There's a 70s cult post-apocalyptic movie called A Boy and His Dog (starring Don Johnson, of all people).  The women in that world are basically wearing kabuki makeup.

• Love 1

Normally, I don't mind product placement as it allows me to enjoy the show longer. However, forcing the contestants to fawn all over the features of the car in fake enjoyment took it way too far. I think running me over with the car would have been more subtle and less jarring. And really, Velociraptor? Er... Velocinator? Velociwhatever... Try again, Hyundai. I would say go home, you're drunk, but I don't want you drinking and driving.

I agree with the judges for the winner, and for Emily and Tyler's alien bird queen. The make-up was beautiful, but it wasn't post-apocalyptic. Body mods aren't going to end up that gorgeous in the wasteland. I mean her forehead was basically turned into a three pronged tiara. The feather headdress was just Emily going way to far with her wheelhouse specialty.

Also wasn't thrilled with the change in ending format. I hit the 30 second commercial skip when I heard them say "The winner is..." and thought my DVR glitched. No, they just changed things up on me. Sure, they've done the "To be continued..." before with the bottom looks, but I think they at least kept the commercial interruption in its usual place. That said, I don't like holding the second chance competition till the next episode. While good cliff-hangers can generate buzz for a show (Who shot JR?), they can also kill it, especially if the show doesn't get another season (Stargate Universe). A proven reality show competition isn't the place for a cliffhanger. All it's going to do is take from the challenge in the next episode. Though it concerns me that maybe the next challenge/episode is going to be so lame, that they borrowed from this challenge to spice it up somehow.

• Love 3
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎28 at 8:57 PM, enoughcats said:

I was reminded of a dinosaurs crest, lol.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎28 at 9:20 PM, mlp said:

I hope Keaglan and Melissa end up eliminated next because I was sick of looking at them the first time around.  That hat Keaglan had on was beyond ridiculous.  She tries so hard to be edgy or something that she just looks foolish and juvenile.

YES!!!

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 3:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't know why Keaghlan (and other contestants with non-traditional hair colors) get so much hate.

It's not the hair colour, it's the personality. Keaghlan tries so hard to be unique that it looks very fake and forced, whereas Melissa has the colour but not the over the top trying too hard.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, enoughcats said:

53 minutes ago, SherriAnt said:

I was reminded of a dinosaurs crest, lol.

I kept thinking I was watching a Burger King commercial.

• Love 3

I wasn't the feathers in and of themselves that was against the challenge. I mean hey, it's the apocalypse...no need to waste those features after you've killed dinner.  The problem was the head dress looked like it was looted from the Jubilee! show on the Vegas strip.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2017 at 11:25 PM, lilwhitelion said:

No doubt Emily hasn't seen any Mad Max movies either. 

You joke, but ever since we found out she was (while incredibly talented) the least movie-curious makeup artist in the history of film, I amuse myself at imagining her utterly confused face every single time Mackenzie mentions some well known person or film.  "Mad Who?  Resident what?".

On 3/1/2017 at 0:25 PM, qtpye said:

Yeah, they could conceivably have won again this week, and right now are looking like runaway winners such as Anthony or Dina (or, I suppose, Emily in her own season right up until the finale).  Technically, we didn't really have top looks, unless the two other safe teams are considered "top" this week.  Cig & George are the only other ones that seem to bring much creativity; the rest are sort of phoning it in, as we saw from the 2017 Calendar "Burn Victims of the Post-Apocalypse" this week.  That Ben & Evan one looked like Pizza the Hutt from "Spaceballs"- and yet, they were declared safe so I guess we have them for at least two more weeks.  They're the only team currently left that feels like they should definitely, already be gone just on overall body of work.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:45 PM, Lovely said:

I actually liked Emily and Tyler's look. Aside from the stellar application I think it was cool that they thought outside the box and I hate that they were penalized for it. A dystopian, post apocalyptic world can literally be anything you want it to be. Why couldn't their character exist in that type of world? I really didn't care for the burn victim looks and I think it's really close minded of the judges to think that that is the only acceptable type of makeup to fulfill the challenge. 

On 3/1/2017 at 3:47 PM, diebartdie said:

This thing with Emily and Tyler's concept is that head dress came directly out of the face, there was no line of demarcation  so it looked like an alien, not a human. I agree, it was pretty flawless but it was not the challenge. Had they made it a more distinct head dress, they might have won it.

23 hours ago, diebartdie said:

faceoff.JPG

Agree with all the above.  I could easily have seen them win, it was easily my favorite look this week... but I was also noticing what @diebartdie is pointing out (and Paul W.S. Anderson): that their model's face ended up looking like a Clive Barker cenobite.  If they'd kept from extending the face like that (and maybe shrinking the overall headdress size) I think they pull out a third win in spite of Glenn & Co's reluctance to keep rewarding the same team.

14 hours ago, qtpye said:

Besides Emily and Tyler, all the contestants are lack luster.  Emily and Tyler are the only ones that try to think outside the box in any type of creative way (remember their snow queen was inspired by snow covered pines).

I actually think the team format has actually hurt, because it seems to have muted the individual visions, instead of doubling the creativity.

Yeah, the creativity seems lacking outside of Emily & Tyler and Cig & George.  I'd mentioned something about that in past episode threads this season, because it feels like by being All-Stars they are great at time-management, common techniques, and not having trainwreck unfinished pieces... but they also seem to be All-Stars at making safe, comfortable, uninspired middle-of-the-road decisions.

I still have no idea how this season ends: does it stay team-based through the end, and if so are they each getting a car and $100K, or is that prize split somehow?

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, 3jt said:

It would indeed be very interesting if they couldn't see what everyone was working on.

Wouldn't that be an issue when somebody needs help opening a mold? They could hire somebody to help in that case, but that wouldn't mesh with a production philosophy that has a contestant call time each week.

16 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

It's not the hair colour, it's the personality. Keaghlan tries so hard to be unique that it looks very fake and forced, whereas Melissa has the colour but not the over the top trying too hard.

That must be why Keaghlan bugs the hell out of me but I kind of like Melissa. Looking at them is utterly ridiculous, but for some reason I'm okay with it all on Melissa. It just feels more like it's just her while Keaghlan sceams "look at me, I'm so alternative!"

• Love 6