Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan16 said:

Since this page is 99% about Erica / Holly / Jenna, just thought I'd share something different. Just based off of her Instagram, Kalyssa is the Tasha of her Rookie class ?. Every time I see one of her posts I just roll my eyes thinking "here we go" lol 

How do you mean? Not really being all that aware of Tasha, I''m totally lost by the reference! ;)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

How do you mean? Not really being all that aware of Tasha, I''m totally lost by the reference! ;)

Haha, sorry! I just meant that both of them post about the boutiques that they model for quite a bit. Just a simple obvservation! :) 

12 minutes ago, Cowboysfan16 said:

Haha, sorry! I just meant that both of them post about the boutiques that they model for quite a bit. Just a simple obvservation! :) 

Ahh, I know what you mean! There's ddefinitely more than a good few 'outfit of the day' style posts on her instagram, and I figured she must model for the boutiques she mentioned

Now that Holly is obv no longer in show group, is she replaced, or do they just drop a dancer?

Can anyone recall a time when someone made Show Group but was then actually cut when the squad was announced?  Not like Holly making SGG and then quiting/being cut, but someone who seemed a sho-in, as being made SG tends to mean, but then really screwed up somehow in the next few weeks and got cut

Edited by CaseyRe
33 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Can anyone recall a time when someone made Show Group but was then actually cut when the squad was announced?  Not like Holly making SGG and then quiting/being cut, but someone who seemed a sho-in, as being made SG tends to mean, but then really screwed up somehow in the next few weeks and got cut

I've been watching since 2006 and don't recall anyone making SG but not the team. 

Any posters who've been watching as long as me: 

In season 1 (2006) Victoria who had a weight issue auditioned for SG and Kelli really liked her as a dancer. I know she got cut from TC but did she make SG? 

• Love 1
Just now, MrsEVH said:

I've been watching since 2006 and don't recall anyone making SG but not the team. 

In season 1 (2006) Victoria who had a weight issue auditioned for SG and Kelli really liked her as a dancer. I know she got cut from TC but did she make SG? 

I always figured that making SG was basically tacitly saying you'd made the squad, but I just couldn't remember if anyone had ever made it adn then been cut, as just curious as to how they deal with losing a dancer. will/has someone replace Holly on SG, or will they just go with the SG minus Holly

9 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

I always figured that making SG was basically tacitly saying you'd made the squad, but I just couldn't remember if anyone had ever made it adn then been cut, as just curious as to how they deal with losing a dancer. will/has someone replace Holly on SG, or will they just go with the SG minus Holly

Amy replaced Holly.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

What about Hannah in Season 9? She had made show group the year before as a rookie; was she cut for her weight before SG tryouts or didn't make SG at all that year..?  (Or were you asking about TCCs and not vets and I missed that part.. if so, sorry!)

Edited by Blndee6
5 minutes ago, Blndee6 said:

What about Hannah in Season 9? She had made show group the year before as a rookie; was she cut for her weight before SG tryouts or didn't make SG at all that year..?  (Or were you asking about TCCs and not vets and I missed that part.. if so, sorry!)

Honestly I was asking about either, vets or TCC, whichever you can think of!

45 minutes ago, ellekotonyok said:

When Gina was talking saying how "I have a bunch of training other girls don't have", it sounded so full of herself. They all have had training. That just made me not a fan of hers. 

I waas pretty neutral on her before now, but ugh, that just sounded so conceited, and there's something so smug about her tht it just turned me right off.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ellekotonyok said:

When Gina was talking saying how "I have a bunch of training other girls don't have", it sounded so full of herself. They all have had training. That just made me not a fan of hers. 

It reminded me of when Emily Roslyn said she was working harder than anyone else. Ugh you sound so big headed when you say that kind of stuff. Not cute.

Edited by beachespeaches
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

That's a good question....I thought they become "alternates" if they are cut but make show group but idk about way back then. Victoria was cute and man she was a great dancer. When she was doing those turns for SG audition I was like damn. Too bad she never made the team...isn't she the one that was supposed to call Jay to workout and never did and he said well she hasn't got a hold of me yet. She said she was going to cut down on her eating but that's only one piece of the puzzle ya know. Maybe I'm thinking of someone from Season 2 but that sounds like her. Season 2 is my favorite. 

1 hour ago, sooooo ill said:

That's a good question....I thought they become "alternates" if they are cut but make show group but idk about way back then. Victoria was cute and man she was a great dancer. When she was doing those turns for SG audition I was like damn. Too bad she never made the team...isn't she the one that was supposed to call Jay to workout and never did and he said well she hasn't got a hold of me yet. She said she was going to cut down on her eating but that's only one piece of the puzzle ya know. Maybe I'm thinking of someone from Season 2 but that sounds like her. Season 2 is my favorite. 

That's Victoria. I don't think she ever auditioned again.

14 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

I thought they would have said something about her being on show group the last couple of years and it being the "greatest experience" but "unfortunately because of her injury..." blah blah blah. But nope.

I don't think the show has ever had Vets comment about show group. In fact, the show rarely features anything about Vets except if there are weight or attitude issues. So it doesn't surprise me that MTT didn't have a sound bite from Erica about why she wasn't in SG this year. There wouldn't have been a sound bite if she'd made SG either. We're looking at everything from the viewpoint of knowing Erica left the squad, and our lack of knowledge is coloring everything we see on the screen. We want to know, so we think the show should address it. But MTT will only address the issues on their timetable, not on ours.  Darn it.

Is Gina's attitude real life? I wonder if Judy and Kelli are dying right now!  The reason  DCC is the best is because of their respect for Kelli and Judy and their coaching. The second a girl disrespects them and shows attitude or entitlement they should be removed. 

"I thought I was doing the dance like I always do... With power and attention to detail.... but apparently I wasn't." 

Yeah... not America's sweetheart, or a role model to me. 

Edited by Cheerio34
  • Love 8
58 minutes ago, Cheerio34 said:

Is Gina's attitude real life? I wonder if Judy and Kelli are dying right now!  The reason  DCC is the best is because of their respect for Kelli and Judy and their coaching. The second a girl disrespects them and shows attitude or entitlement they should be removed. 

"I thought I was doing the dance like I always do... With power and attention to detail.... but apparently I wasn't." 

I didn't feel like she was being disrespectful. She came across to me as simply perplexed because their comments came as a surprise. I'm sure she's not the first or last dancer who's felt that way, but unlike most she just voiced her surprise aloud. She has confidence in her abilities, no question; but to me her comments struck me as more mature and professional  as opposed to arrogant or boastful. If she'd talked about J&K's comments in an irritated, whiny, challenging or defiant way, then that type of attitude would've likely verged into disrespectful for me.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Blndee6 said:

I didn't feel like she was being disrespectful. She came across to me as simply perplexed because their comments came as a surprise. I'm sure she's not the first or last dancer who's felt that way, but unlike most she just voiced her surprise aloud. She has confidence in her abilities, no question; but to me her comments struck me as more mature and professional  as opposed to arrogant or boastful. If she'd talked about J&K's comments in an irritated, whiny, challenging or defiant way, then that type of attitude would've likely verged into disrespectful for me.

I totally agree. I'll take Ginas alleged overconfidence over Brianna's veil of tears or Kathy D "I'm sooooo sad" wailings (from season 8). She does seem mature and sincere. She's under a lot of pressure too... I have said things in a way that might be mistaken for cockiness but not meant like that so I understand. Give her a break. :)

Edited by sooooo ill
Added (from season 8)
  • Love 1
On September 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Spooky said:

With all the drama surrounding Holly's exit, I would think the show would capitalize on her exit. Not the nitty gritty details, but I would think the show-runners would start "and a popular veteran faces a tough choice/what will Kelli and Judy do/it's the most dramatic cut yet", etc. I don't know, just surprised they haven't pushed her absence more; especially now that the season has started and more people are noticing she's gone. 

I just don't think the show CAN capitalize on Holly's exit.   I'll bet any mention on the show about the true reasons why will be highly glossed over and vague.   Because although this is a CMT reality show it is basically exec produced by the Cowboys organization and they have control over what is and isn't portrayed.  

If Holly's exit had anything to do with improper fraternization with a Cowboys player, the Cowboys org could not cop to that on this show.  It would be considered toxic to their brand to have that whiff of scandal, an under 21 cheerleader drinking and dallying with a player who has a bad rep anyway.  So maybe they will allude to partying as a lack of dedication on Holly's part but it will be tiptoed around...

• Love 3

All the girls in tc have "the resume to back it up". We get so irritated with Holly being full of herself, even though she is way more talented (and more beautiful) than Gina. Had she said that thing on tv, there would  be a witch hunt for her.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

All the girls in tc have "the resume to back it up". We get so irritated with Holly being full of herself, even though she is way more talented (and more beautiful) than Gina. Had she said that thing on tv, there would  be a witch hunt for her.

Exactly.  I can't speak to who is more talented, and I don't think either Holly or Gina are pretty, but even showboating Holly didn't say she has training that none of the others have (not that we heard, anyway).  I'd more compare Gina to Kalyssa.  Kalyssa has also won competitions, but at least she stated it as a fact & never alluded to being better than any of the other TCCs.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Exactly.  I can't speak to who is more talented, and I don't think either Holly or Gina are pretty, but even showboating Holly didn't say she has training that none of the others have (not that we heard, anyway).  I'd more compare Gina to Kalyssa.  Kalyssa has also won competitions, but at least she stated it as a fact & never alluded to being better than any of the other TCCs.

I didn't like how Kalyssa's statement about winning competitions with a couple years of training sounded, but that at least was more impressive and she still didn't say that this made her more qualified or better than the rest.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, dreamcatcher said:

I didn't like how Kalyssa's statement about winning competitions with a couple years of training sounded,

It did sound a little off at first, but I figure she was making the point that she's a natural, not much different, IMO, than Kelsey talking about how she only had something like one year's worth of dance classes.

• Love 3

Someone mentioned that Stephanie's look doesn't bother her this year, and I did notice quite a difference onc screen.  The makeup is much softer and toned down.  She looks beautiful in ep 7. 

And Holly is still on the cover with the recording. 

IMG_9251.JPG

10 hours ago, Cheerio34 said:

I didn't necessarilly find those comments to be disrespectful, or showing attitude.  It sounded like something I think I'd have said, in that moment I think she was more perplexed than anything.  If you feel that you were dancing a certain way, only ot be told you weren't, then it can be hard to find a away to correct that, because you feel you were putting in what they wanted, so ifyou think you were already doing that, how do you go about changing it wihtout feeling like you're now over  correcting (so so easy to do and then its just as bad) and going too far the other way. It sounded more to me like asking for help in correcting what she did, like 'okay, if I thought i was doing all that, how do I give you what you're looking for?'  I found her far worse in her interview segments, thats when she sounded arrogant to me, and terribly conceited.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Jazzmom said:

Someone mentioned that Stephanie's look doesn't bother her this year, and I did notice quite a difference onc screen.  The makeup is much softer and toned down.  She looks beautiful in ep 7. 

And Holly is still on the cover with the recording. 

IMG_9251.JPG

I think they will address the Holly issue in the next couple of episodes.  They're showing her on camera quite a bit especially last episode.  She's such a favorite of Kelly's so I don't see how she could just disappear and it not be shown at all.  It would be cray cray.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tajalexander said:

Anyone else notice a few of the 8 counts in Denise's routine aren't in the dance the way the team performs it? I wonder if/when those changes are made. 

I think it was Shelly(?) who mentioned sometimes they change the routine if necessary, also noticed Thunderstruck has a few different 8 counts of choreo this year. Wonder what prompted that change. I'm still beating my dead horse for wanting a new Pre-game. Same choreo different song, same song different choreo. Either one I'll take please DCC gods. 

• Love 2

So are we to assume Kashara will be the point for the remainder of the year now? Kelli responded to a tweet asking how they decide on the point dancer and she listed a number of other points besides tenure, so I doubt they will switch Jenna to the point now, which is very disappointing. Love Kashara but Jenna is a brilliant performing and the most senior vet on the team. 

Does this also also mean we can expect Kashara to be the point in future years should she decide to come back next year? I don't recall there ever being a girl on point then not the year after if they are still on the team. 

• Love 5

Amazon was a day late in posting episode 7, so I didn't get to watch it til this morning.

All-time faves?  Oooh, I want to play!

All time:  Kelsi Reich, Brittany Schram, Courtney Cook, Jordan Chanley, McKenzie Lee

Current squad:  Kashara, Holly, Kelsey, Khalen, and the two rookies: Keyra and Kalyssa.  Jenna to me is just ok...shes obviously better than the other girls this year, but I can't help but compare her to some of the rock stars she used to dance with in previous years, in which case she's just average.

I loved when Mackenzie Lee got her hair cut. I actually took my youngest daughter to the hairdresser to donate her long hair, and had him cut her hair just like MacKenzie's.

• Love 3

Now that I think about it, my main gripe with the current batch of dancers (since season 9 or so) has been that they aren't nearly as beautiful as the squad from 2010 (like around Season 3-4).  Kelli/Judy seem to be willing to take on less-beautiful girls who are good dancers like Caila, Heather H, Selina, Kat Rogers, Ika Irene, Gina, Madeline (...and *cough* Cassie Trammell *cough cough*) than taking on girls who need a bit of a push on showmanship (think Emily Claire) but who are beautiful to look at.  Where have all the gorgeous candidates gone?

Edited by nancy444
16 minutes ago, nancy444 said:

Now that I think about it, my main gripe with the current batch of dancers (since season 9 or so) has been that they aren't nearly as beautiful as the squad from 2010 (like around Season 3-4).  Kelli/Judy seem to be willing to take on less-beautiful girls who are good dancers like Caila, Heather H, Selina, Kat Rogers, Ika Irene, Gina, Madeline (...and *cough* Cassie Trammell *cough cough*) than taking on girls who need a bit of a push on showmanship (think Emily Claire) but who are beautiful to look at.  Where have all the gorgeous candidates gone?

Um, beauty is subjective. Caila, Ika, Selina are all beautiful girls imo. Yes, the DCC are expected to basically be Cowboy's barbie dolls outside of performances, but dancing is still their main purpose. No one on the squad is "ugly" and they're not concerned as much because dancing is what they do. Having calendar worthy looks is just a bonus. Personally I think this is one of the most visual squads they've had in awhile.

• Love 2

Well they have plenty of beautiful girls on the squad, and while I do agree with your choices, there are others who think that those particular dancers were hot. Plus, this is a dancing squad. I don't really think there are that many supermodel/amazing dancer/great spokesperson girls out there and most of them are too good to end up in DCC. Most of the DCCs we all liked went on to do absolutely nothing after retirement and I think there is a reason.

• Love 1

I probably need to go back and watch some of the older seasons, but if anything, I feel like there's been more emphasis on looks in recent seasons than in the past....primarily due to the massive big screen in the stadium. I also think it can be human nature to think more fondly of the past, but while I enjoyed many of the past squads more than this one, I don't at all think that they were all superior dancers to recent years. This year is weak overall, but there have been many excellent dancers and performers who have been on squads in recent years.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HowdeeDo said:

No one on the squad is "ugly"

That's subjective as well.  Like you, I don't find any of them ugly (such a harsh thing to call someone!), I find it hard to believe anybody would, but they're out there.

Edited by ByTor

I think that all the girls are very pretty with the exception of Cassie T!!! She has zero personality too. There is absolutely no way she would have made it if her mom wasn't Judy!!!  She was also a very average dancer. Why Katelynn didn't make it I'll never understand!! I have sat by her mom at LSU games, and heard how this has been her dream her whole life. If they didn't like her hair, then that is what the makeovers are for. I pray she comes back next year.

• Love 8

It may be my bad memory, as I don't re-watch seasons, but I have to agree with Jess14 that K&J seem to put more emphasis lately on beauty now as opposed to talent, although I do remember them bringing back a girl (Meghan?) to TC several years because she had "calendar girl" looks, but because she never had enough "talent" to make the team she would get cut.   

Most of the time when I'm watching the group perform on the field, all I see is hair whipping around.  You can't really tell who is marking time and who is doing all the "pops".  Now show group or other smaller venue performances, then maybe looks/performance/public speaking might matter more but to me, since looks are subjective, in order to make the team talent should outweigh looks.

• Love 2