Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

TMZ is reporting that Miley will be a coach next season, replacing Gwen Stefani.  Interesting.  If so, maybe a woman will finally win this thing.  I can see a lot of contestants wanting to pick Miley. And, she will probably definitely challenge Blake for some of the country artists. 

• Love 4

WTF that's such a...weird choice. 

I mean, her fame is from her dad and the Disney Channel show he got her. I can't see how well that could translate to anyone else. 

Then the way she remained relevant recently was by taking her clothes off a lot and talking about, like, drugs and stuff. Few people think of her for her vocal prowess or her performance ability.

Idol cast Nicki Minaj for the Drama Shock Value, but that didn't work out well for them.

Alicia Keys makes perfect sense though. 

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 3

Miley Cyrus must have proved herself as a mentor if she's been invited to come on as a coach.

She's young and interesting and has had recent hits. I think she could be very competitive--and fresh chemistry--and, yes, be very competitive with both Blake and Adam. Alicia Keyes is an even better choice and makes sense.

I like Christina for her comments but don't like all the (imo) over-singing she pushes her team to do every season. In that way, I won't miss her. And I'm glad Adam and Blake are staying . Plus, nice to have half the panel women for a change. I think it's promising news and might reinvigorate the show creatively-actually, now I think about it, I'm looking forward to it.

• Love 3

Miley makes plenty of sense. She's a current artist with country roots that can actually challenge Blake for access to singers in that genre.

Alicia on the other hand, other then being black and female, makes no sense.  I see her as having a Shakira type weak team. Hopefully she proves me wrong.

Alicia Keys:

Song of the Year Grammy

R&B Performance Grammys x5

R&B Song Grammys x3

R&B Album Grammys x3

30 million+ albums sold worldwide

4 #1 hits

Country roots that can actually challenge Blake 

Miley's country hits: The Climb #25 on country radio. No other charting songs. Hmm.

I doubt she has the clout and connections in the country music world that Blake does, her dad aside. Who had one song this century go higher than #30 on country radio...though, yeah, it featured Miley, so that's something.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

Alicia Keys:

Song of the Year Grammy

R&B Performance Grammys x5

R&B Song Grammys x3

R&B Album Grammys x3

30 million+ albums sold worldwide

4 #1 hits

And? Shakira won a lot of rewards and sold a lot of records too. How well did that work out for her?

Miley's country hits: The Climb #25 on country radio. No other charting songs. Hmm.

I doubt she has the clout and connections in the country music world that Blake does, her dad aside. Who had one song this century go higher than #30 on country radio...though, yeah, it featured Miley, so that's something.

She doesn't need clout, she just needs enough country cred to be able to convince people to come to her team. Which she has. Don't  get me wrong, the majority will still go to Blake, but she'll get her fair share. 

She doesn't need clout, she just needs enough country cred to be able to convince people to come to her team. Which she has. Don't  get me wrong, the majority will still go to Blake, but she'll get her fair share. 

Miley Cyrus has country cred? In what way? Her connection to her dad and that one song? Hasn't her public image alienated her from the (at least to me) more puritanical country fans? I do agree that she can totally steal some of those late teens/early 20s country girls who flock to Blake, but country "cred"? What does that entail? People knowing her name?

That said, I think she will do better with younger contestants in all genres, especially the more indie/pop ones who might not want to go with Adam for whatever reason. I mean, Maroon 5 are "hip" I guess, and definitely successful, but Adam is pushing 40. I think it'll be good to have a younger coach like Miley.

And Alicia Keys is a fantastic choice. I'd like to see anyone try to steal an R&B artist from her. 

I'm just glad we'll finally get two women on the panel.

• Love 1

Re Miley's possible appeal to country contestants, she can definitely talk the talk. I think one of the reasons that the other judges haven't been so successful in getting country artists is because they have no legitimate connection to it and don't seem to know much about it. And, judging by some of Adam's comments, I don't think he even likes country music. Miley has performed with her godmother, Dolly Parton, several times, so we know we can expect to hear her name drop Dolly throughout the season.  And, she has done some country (check YouTube for Jolene and You're Going to Make Me Lonesome When You Go, for starters), although, I guess nothing was a chart hit.  She knows the genre. She grew up with it. And, But, you're right, with the younger country artists, I think she will definitely be competitive, especially with females.  Not so sure how much appeal she will have with the guys.

As for Alicia, I'm not sure how she will be as a coach. She will probably get most of the R&B contestants. (But, didn't Miley just do an R&B/rap themed album most recently?)

I'm just glad they're going with two females this year, and that one of them is not the typical white/blonde (nothing against white blondes, but it always bugged me that the female judge always was white and blonde). I'm looking forward to it.  I'll definitely miss Pharrell, though, and hope they will bring him back.

• Love 1

And they are also targeting (per a TV Line article) Alicia Keys to fill Pharrell's spot. It would be the first gender balanced coaching lineup in Voice history if she joins the panel...

Long overdue.

WTF that's such a...weird choice. 

I mean, her fame is from her dad and the Disney Channel show he got her. I can't see how well that could translate to anyone else. 

Her Dad didn't have that much to do with her making the leap from being a generic Disney kid to a Superstar. Her having big huge swinging balls and being audacious as hell did. And while she doesn't always show it in her hits, she CAN sing the hell out of a song when she wants to--she has some technical expertise (although her vocal range isn't that big, she's got very good pitch and can emote very well in her lyrics).  I get that you may not like her and her shennanigans, but to me I think her success makes her admirable--and it IS HER success, not her Dad's--even if her image isn't as admirable.

Re Miley's possible appeal to country contestants, she can definitely talk the talk. I think one of the reasons that the other judges haven't been so successful in getting country artists is because they have no legitimate connection to it and don't seem to know much about it.

To me, Blake's monopoly on Country acts has been simple--he literally can walk them into any country radio station in the country and get airtime. He can make a call to any number of Country music execs and get facetime for them. And he can get them gigs... bookings... just based on a recommendation.

The others can't do that for them. Their coaching is worthless post-show, whereas Blake's mere "aura" gets them work and an unending series of future connections.

Miley can sort of do that, albeit perhaps not quite as reliably. Someone like Martina McBride or Reba McEntire might have done it even better, but Miley also brings the pop connections, and is one of the world's biggest stars now, so she's better for the show viewership. 

• Love 6

Hmm, let's examine Hannah Montana vs. "one of the world's biggest stars."

Hannah Montana 3x platinum

Hannah Montana 2 3x platinum

Hannah Montana the Movie 2x platinum

Breakout Platinum

Time of Our Lives Platinum

Can't Be Tamed N/A

Bangerz just got to Platinum after a little over 2 years.

A few years later (so when the sales market shrank some more), Meghan Trainor took a little less than 1 year to sell a million copies in the US - half the time. And I wouldn't call her "one of the world's biggest stars."

Miley's press coverage is inordinate to her actual fanbase size; she definitely had more fans as Hannah Montana. 

And...I actually don't dislike her or her music; I think her calculated wild child image is actually quite shrewd of her, and I like some of the causes she supports. We Can't Stop is a bop, as are 23/SMS/FU/Do My Thang/Someone Else. I just don't think she's right for the show and don't think she's likely to be a great draw in the long run. 

Hmm, let's examine Hannah Montana vs. "one of the world's biggest stars."

Hannah Montana 3x platinum

Hannah Montana 2 3x platinum

Hannah Montana the Movie 2x platinum

Breakout Platinum

Time of Our Lives Platinum

Can't Be Tamed N/A

Bangerz just got to Platinum after a little over 2 years.

A few years later (so when the sales market shrank some more), Meghan Trainor took a little less than 1 year to sell a million copies in the US - half the time. And I wouldn't call her "one of the world's biggest stars."

Miley's press coverage is inordinate to her actual fanbase size; she definitely had more fans as Hannah Montana. 

And...I actually don't dislike her or her music; I think her calculated wild child image is actually quite shrewd of her, and I like some of the causes she supports. We Can't Stop is a bop, as are 23/SMS/FU/Do My Thang/Someone Else. I just don't think she's right for the show and don't think she's likely to be a great draw in the long run. 

Do some New Media calculations though. Those more traditional ones aren't as accurate as they used to be. Lets just do two songs, or this will take forever.

YouTube.com hits for Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop (regular version): 662,612,897

YouTube.com hits for Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop (Director's cut):46,004,412

Vevo.com hits for Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop (regular version): 677,782,316 

Vevo.com hits for Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop (Director's cut):46,823,044 

YouTube.com hits for Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (regular version): 827,997,801

YouTube.com hits for Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Director's Cut):75,872,027

Vevo.com hits for Miley Cyrus -Wrecking Ball (regular version): 844,365,230

Vevo.com hits for Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Director's cut): 76,828,617

So just TWO songs, on two services, that's 3,258,286,344 hits.

If we dug out the streaming audio impressions these numbers would be dwarfed I bet.  Not to mention, she also sells out concerts worldwide. 

And not that lets say... Taylor Swift's New Media numbers don't dwarf these too. But these numbers of Miley's are impressive nonetheless.

Edited by Kromm

One estimate has about 1k views=$1. So that's about $3 mil. 

Well, that's more than what she made with her album sales in the US, based on what I looked at online in terms of sales vs. royalties. I suppose it might be close-ish to even if you look at solely Youtube US views and US album sales. Hmm.

Oh wait, I just saw what you did in counting. No. No no no. The Vevo views include all the Youtube on Vevo views. There aren't so many millions and millions of people every day hunting out vevo.com instead of Youtube. 

It's actually 1.646 billion views. So about $1.65 million.

Back to Meghan Trainor, her top 2 videos are at somewhere over 1.677 billion views (I only checked Youtube cuz I'm lazy.). And I still think Meghan Trainor is not a worldwide superstar.

Edited by jjjmoss

Why can't we get rid of Blake and Adam for a season?

Blake has pretty much put it out that if he's forced to sit out a season that he's gone for good and NBC wouldn't dare call him on that bluff since it's doubtful that they could get a country star as established as Blake without paying him more money . Adam probably piggybacked off the same threat.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 3

I'm just glad they're going with two females this year, and that one of them is not the typical white/blonde (nothing against white blondes, but it always bugged me that the female judge always was white and blonde). I'm looking forward to it.  I'll definitely miss Pharrell, though, and hope they will bring him back.

Shakira isn't white. She's 1/2 Lebanese Colombian. Definitely a minority. (She also isn't a natural blonde).

She is also the biggest star in the world who has been on the show. Not that it helped her attract talented artists.

Shakira isn't white. She's 1/2 Lebanese Colombian. Definitely a minority. (She also isn't a natural blonde).

She is also the biggest star in the world who has been on the show. Not that it helped her attract talented artists.

I think it's because her fame doesn't totally translate over. A ridiculous number of #1s internationally doesn't mean US audiences (other than the Hispanic contingent) have the same level of reverence for her.

Also, because Shakira might have been the most inept coach in the show's history at "pitching" contestants in the blind auditions.

One thing I will be happy about is that the 3 and 4 chairs (non-country) turns next season won't go inevitably to Pharrell (despite him not saying anything substantive most of the time). And I do think Miley will be able to talk the talk regarding country in a way that won't seem inauthentic. The issue will still be (unless Billy Ray is still a lot more plugged into to Nashville than I'm assuming), Blake's ability to network and leverage post show opportunities in Nashville will still probably come up trumps most of the time.

I know this song was referenced upthread, but anyone who doesn't think Miley could strip everything away and make a reasonably compelling country, folk tinged album should hear how her voice sounds on this:

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

Actually I wasn't aware of it until now, but apparently she did another of these Backyard sesssion things (much longer and with guests) just last year.  Really interesting to compare how her approach and delivery changed in three years on the one song she outright redid:

And there are a bunch of other songs--all very different from what she usually does, and all quite good (links on purpose, because embedding this much stuff would be madness):  

https://youtu.be/aKmd60VSJgE       https://youtu.be/m2ua3O_fdCY        https://youtu.be/rT70HTbh4a8        https://youtu.be/ldWSMhu4CA4        https://youtu.be/ZR6mM_zfxwE       https://youtu.be/7ZhORvICiuI       https://youtu.be/pB_V7cwbyY8

and finally...  https://youtu.be/GmKU14TRiho  -- this last one is particularly good IMO--this alone might change a lot of opinions on her, because it's delicate, airy, and sensitive, and those are probably the last words people use to describe her typically--if she'd sold this instead of giving it away free as a video, I bet she'd get brief love from critics... but nobody would buy it or pay to go to concerts of her singing it (heck, all you have to do is look at the low hit counts on theses videos for supporting evidence of that--these are great, free, and "official" and very few people have seen them).

In other words, if you don't like what Miley normally sings, keep in mind it appears she sings what she does pretty much because she (probably correctly) thinks it's what sells.

Relating this back to The Voice... if we actually believe that part of the gig actually IS to coach people's actual singing and give advice about that... maybe hearing these will reassure people Miley knows what singing real songs sounds like. Certainly as much or more than Blake Freaking Shelton, who's voice is at best okay.  As I said upthread, while I don't think Miley has a huge vocal range in terms of what notes she can sing, she's got beautiful, and well controlled pitch within her range, and emotes fantastically when singing.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

See, I take that with a huge grain of salt. In fact it makes me suspicious of Blake, not Christina, and how his handlers handled his divorce (having anonymous third parties leak all kinds of nasty stories about Miranda Lambert to the press). He's very much about getting in front of any potential bad press by striking first. So if there IS a conflict (the part that may be real there), the part that implies that Christina is being totally unreasonable may be the point of the spin.

• Love 2
(edited)

Blake has pretty much put it out that if he's forced to sit out a season that he's gone for good and NBC wouldn't dare call him on that bluff since it's doubtful that they could get a country star as established as Blake without paying him more money . Adam probably piggybacked off the same threat.

It's actually been more than whispered that the two have what agents and entertainment lawyers call "key man" and "most favored nation" clauses in their contracts. The first enables either to refuse to do the show if the other isn't on it, and the second requires them to be paid equal compensation no matter what NBC negotiates with either individually. The upshot is that as long as the show lasts, both of them are pretty likely to be on every season of it, unless one wants a break and the other agrees to continue.

Edited by Shades of Scarlet
  • Love 1

See, I take that with a huge grain of salt. In fact it makes me suspicious of Blake, not Christina, and how his handlers handled his divorce (having anonymous third parties leak all kinds of nasty stories about Miranda Lambert to the press). He's very much about getting in front of any potential bad press by striking first. So if there IS a conflict (the part that may be real there), the part that implies that Christina is being totally unreasonable may be the point of the spin.

Well . . . while there's clearly a lot of gossipy speculation in that piece, I'm simply not going to be moved off of my longtime viewpoint that Christina is not a nice person to be around.  Her reported feud with Gwen is not hard to buy at all, nor is the rumor that she was fired for good.  I think the producers booted Pharrell too, and with good reason.   

Well . . . while there's clearly a lot of gossipy speculation in that piece, I'm simply not going to be moved off of my longtime viewpoint that Christina is not a nice person to be around.  Her reported feud with Gwen is not hard to buy at all, nor is the rumor that she was fired for good.  I think the producers booted Pharrell too, and with good reason.   

Mark Burnett has stated on record that as long as Christina wants it she has a slot on the show.  I mean it's a tabloid rag; you can't put any validity into that.

I mean there's an equally credible source (in that not very) stating that Christina and Gwen are collaborating on a song together.  None of this is substantiated, but I'd buy a collaboration more than some "feud" involving ex-wives and what not.  Also if producers are after Blake and Gwen for more interaction, why would they bring on two entirely new female judges instead of bringing Gwen back somehow.  Makes no sense.

• Love 3
(edited)

Mark Burnett has stated on record that as long as Christina wants it she has a slot on the show.  I mean it's a tabloid rag; you can't put any validity into that.

I mean there's an equally credible source (in that not very) stating that Christina and Gwen are collaborating on a song together.  None of this is substantiated, but I'd buy a collaboration more than some "feud" involving ex-wives and what not.  Also if producers are after Blake and Gwen for more interaction, why would they bring on two entirely new female judges instead of bringing Gwen back somehow.  Makes no sense.

Agree with the first. I've seen similar articles to that one almost every season or between seasons of the show (especially before seasons she has not been on) saying she has been permanently fired because she's a pain in the butt. But she has come back every time. Obviously, none of those articles have been true. I had wondered in the past, but at this point I am doubtful about any of these.

ETA: Not to say that it isn't possible that she's a pain. The rest just hasn't happened.

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 2

From all reporters who have watched tapings of the show, Christina and Adam are both divas on the show. I can buy that quite easily. I don't know why they'd fire Christina though. She at least brings something interesting to the show and she is the only one on the panel currently who can actually be praised for her voice. However, she is a pretty much a has-been unlike the other 3 judges.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to never see Gwen or Pharell as coaches again. Both are so incredibly boring. Pharell seems like the nicest person in the world, but so incredibly boring. Gwen is boring and vacant. And her ongoing plastic surgery is starting to freak me out.

But, I am not seeing how Alicia Keys is a step forward. She is also dull as dirt. Miley at least as a personality.

• Love 3

From all reporters who have watched tapings of the show, Christina and Adam are both divas on the show. I can buy that quite easily. I don't know why they'd fire Christina though. She at least brings something interesting to the show and she is the only one on the panel currently who can actually be praised for her voice. However, she is a pretty much a has-been unlike the other 3 judges.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to never see Gwen or Pharell as coaches again. Both are so incredibly boring. Pharell seems like the nicest person in the world, but so incredibly boring. Gwen is boring and vacant. And her ongoing plastic surgery is starting to freak me out.

But, I am not seeing how Alicia Keys is a step forward. She is also dull as dirt. Miley at least as a personality.

Be fair. Adam was a huge has-been before the show. SINCE then he's leveraged the show to draw attention back to Maroon 5 and give them their 4 of their biggest hits (Moves Like Jagger, Payphone, Animals, Sugar). 

"Sugar" for example, has 1.1 BILLION views on YouTube. That's right I said BILLION... and the video is only 15 months old). So he does deserve credit, because he knew what to do with his renewed fame.

But they'd been in a real rut before that. Bigger than Christina's rut, because she'd had a hit, a big one (Candyman), as recently as 2007--so only 4 years before The Voice, whereas with Maroon 5 you had to go back to the early 2000s, I think (and even then, I don't think they had hits so much as the fact that their first album was just hugely critically praised). 

You know, I could swear these words would never come out of my mouth, or be typed by my fingers, because I kind of hate him... but I'd sooner see Diddy as a Coach now than Pharell. Surprisingly he had actual stuff to say when he was there. 

I'm going to hold my judgment on Alicia till I see her try and do it. At least unlike Gwen (and to be honest Christina--who can sing of course but doesn't play anything) she's an accomplished musician. That can often backfire and lead to even MORE boring coaches, but it can work too.

• Love 5
(edited)

But they'd been in a real rut before that. Bigger than Christina's rut, because she'd had a hit, a big one (Candyman), as recently as 2007--so only 4 years before The Voice, whereas with Maroon 5 you had to go back to the early 2000s.

You're completely wrong. I don't like either of them, but:

Maroon 5's Misery was a T20 hit in 2010 (T20 for 10 weeks). Wake Up Call was was a T20 hit in 2007 (a more modest 4 weeks in the T20). Makes me Wonder was a #1 hit in 2007.

2007-2010, Christina's only T20 hit was Keeps Gettin' Better which had...2 weeks in the T20.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

But, Christina is still the only coach on the show who is NOW a has-been. All the others have gone on to improve their careers or stay on top. Christina's actually moved backwards since she joined the show. It's clear she has past her peak in her career.

• Love 1
(edited)

How long ago did Burnett say that, though?  If the rumors about how difficult she is to work with are true, I don't have any trouble believing that TPTB finally had enough and pulled the plug.  I also choose to believe - based on nothing but my own guesses - that they gave Pharrell the soft boot and he won't be back either.  And actually, I have had less of a problem with Christina than with Pharrell this season based on what has aired, although I'm sure that will change with the live shows when Christina is no longer edited.  Pharrell is just boring, lacks any sense of humor, and is off-putting.  Just my two cents; it's not even a completely popular view in my own household! 

Gwen makes a ton more money than Christina Aguilera.  She actually doesn't need The Voice; she's amazingly, amazingly successful, not just with her music but with all of her other ventures.  I don't think she ever intended to coach on The Voice full-time, and if she and Blake are really serious (who knows; they seem really cute and happy together but it's Hollywood) then it arguably makes even less sense for her to do so.  I don't expect either Alicia or Miley to be full-time, so I can easily envision Gwen returning for the next season.   

But, Christina is still the only coach on the show who is NOW a has-been. All the others have gone on to improve their careers or stay on top. Christina's actually moved backwards since she joined the show. It's clear she has past her peak in her career.

I agree with that.  Adam has said many times that TV revitalized Maroon 5 at a time when they needed it; he's been quite open about that.  But Christina has completely failed to capitalize on TV's success in any meaningful way as you'd expect, and since she definitely can sing, I suspect that there's something else going on.  As I mentioned above in a response to another poster, she's actually been fine this season, so I actually feel sort of bad for her.  But if she's a pain in the rear during the live shows or takes the prize and is an ungracious winner in some respect I reserve the right to change that opinion.  ;)     

Edited by Shades of Scarlet
(edited)

Christina has gotten better each season. I couldn't stand her the first couple of years but am rooting for her this year. She now seems to get along well with the guys and she holds her own on the pitches, which the other female coaches have not been able to do.

I just don't buy that article. Christina usually seems to get along best with women (watching her and Miley together was amusing). And she's not good at hiding her dislike for people--which had never seemed to be the case with Blake or Gwen. I guess we'll see if her attitude has changed towards Blake in the lives.

As for Gwen, I thought she did a great job coaching her first year and a poor job as a coach her second. And as much as it pains me to say it, on both a gender and a Bush-bias basis, the big difference was probably that Gavin was out of the picture.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 1

Well Christina's worth a lot more money than Gwen, so I'm not sure how much that's true

How long ago did Burnett say that, though?  If the rumors about how difficult she is to work with are true, I don't have any trouble believing that TPTB finally had enough and pulled the plug.  I also choose to believe - based on nothing but my own guesses - that they gave Pharrell the soft boot and he won't be back either.  And actually, I have had less of a problem with Christina than with Pharrell this season based on what has aired, although I'm sure that will change with the live shows when Christina is no longer edited.  Pharrell is just boring, lacks any sense of humor, and is off-putting.  Just my two cents; it's not even a completely popular view in my own household! 

Gwen makes a ton more money than Christina Aguilera.  She actually doesn't need The Voice; she's amazingly, amazingly successful, not just with her music but with all of her other ventures.  I don't think she ever intended to coach on The Voice full-time, and if she and Blake are really serious (who knows; they seem really cute and happy together but it's Hollywood) then it arguably makes even less sense for her to do so.  I don't expect either Alicia or Miley to be full-time, so I can easily envision Gwen returning for the next season.   

But these same stupid feud rumors come up EVERY single season and it never amounts to anything.  Mark Burnett has always emphasized the Voice wouldn't have happened without Christina.  Maybe he's overselling it, but I'd take him over a tabloid.  Christina's level of fame is the same it is now and it was when the show started.  Her recording career was already kind of stalled.  She's had some big features since the show (A Great Big World, Maroon 5, Pitbull), but her own recording career has certainly taken a far too long hiatus.  She seems to have been pretty uninspired since her divorce so maybe she'll eventually come back with something, but who knows at this point.

Gwen hasn't had much recent success either.  Here latest singles both peaked in the top 50, which is pretty dismal for her but music is just a completely different landscape and past success isn't going to dictate future success.  Also Christina is worth a lot more than Gwen, but they're both super successful so it's not like either of them necessarily need the show.    

• Love 2

Well Christina's worth a lot more money than Gwen, so I'm not sure how much that's true

But these same stupid feud rumors come up EVERY single season and it never amounts to anything.  Mark Burnett has always emphasized the Voice wouldn't have happened without Christina.  Maybe he's overselling it, but I'd take him over a tabloid.  Christina's level of fame is the same it is now and it was when the show started.  Her recording career was already kind of stalled.  She's had some big features since the show (A Great Big World, Maroon 5, Pitbull), but her own recording career has certainly taken a far too long hiatus.  She seems to have been pretty uninspired since her divorce so maybe she'll eventually come back with something, but who knows at this point.

Gwen hasn't had much recent success either.  Here latest singles both peaked in the top 50, which is pretty dismal for her but music is just a completely different landscape and past success isn't going to dictate future success.  Also Christina is worth a lot more than Gwen, but they're both super successful so it's not like either of them necessarily need the show.    

I believe you're completely incorrect about the relative net worths of the two.  Gwen long ago diversified into other areas besides music and has been insanely successful.  

I'm not sure why they'd hire two new judges if they were firing Christina to keep Gwen? I think the media is just thirsty for new drama.

I hope Christina does return in future, even if it's three seasons from now. She, Shakira, and Usher are the only artists who've been on here that I like, and the latter two have no interest in returning apparently. Well, I do like Gwen outside the show, but she's just boring TV. 

On the plus side, I never watch the show when someone I like isn't on there, so I'll have a break now. The only reason I watched the first season was Christina. Didn't like (and still don't like) Blake, and I barely knew anything about CeeLo. I was a very casual fan of Maroon 5 at the time, and I liked him even more after the first season, but I completely hated him the second season during that Tony Lucca mess and I haven't been able to enjoy him since.

• Love 1
(edited)

FWIW, Gwen did just get her first #1 album. While Xtina hasn't had one in 10 years.

A number 1 album that didn't sell very much (it's only shipped 70k units in 3 weeks).  A number one just isn't what it used to be.  Both her singles have peaked at in the 50's so unless something hits, it's a pretty dismal commercial performance.  Even Christina's "Your Body" peaked in the 30's, and I'll be the first to say Lotus was a clear flop for Christina's standards.

I believe you're completely incorrect about the relative net worths of the two.  Gwen long ago diversified into other areas besides music and has been insanely successful.

I mean unless you're both of their accountants, I don't know how you'd know...Google tells me a pretty convincing story that I'm probably right.

Christina's been on those Forbes top 20 richest female entertainers lists, and I don't believe Gwen ever has.  It's simple math really.  Gwen was the lead singer of a very successful 4-person band.  She would have split those profits 4 ways, and while No Doubt was big, they were never as big as Christina.  Christina was not only a bigger act, she was a solo act.  She netted more money.  I think Gwen's L.A.M.B. does well for a celebrity fashion brand, but it's not like she's Jay-Z or Jessica Simpson.  I think its revenues are relatively modest.  Either way, the point stands that neither of them NEED the Voice.  They've both been extremely successful.

BTW, I say this as a person that has seen No Doubt and solo Gwen several times live and has never been to a Christina concert.  And I think Shakira's net worth is about Christina's and Gwen's combined.

Edited by dizzyizzy01
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, Shakira's net worth > Christina + Gwen + Adam + Blake. When her sleazy ex-fiancé tried to sue her saying he built her career, she was estimated to be worth $500mm.

I'd guess Usher or Pharrell has the 2nd highest net worth.

As for Christina vs. Gwen, I'd be shocked if Christina was worth more. Christina has had very few endorsement deals and she hasn't toured all that much (and her ticket sales aren't great). Musical acts make their money in tour sale and endorsements + song writing credits. Gwen has a lot of songwriting credits while Christina has few.

Edited by pivot

Yeah, Shakira's net worth > Christina + Gwen + Adam + Blake. When her sleazy ex-fiancé tried to sue her saying he built her career, she was estimated to be worth $500mm.

I'd guess Usher or Pharrell has the 2nd highest net worth.

As for Christina vs. Gwen, I'd be shocked if Christina was worth more. Christina has had very few endorsement deals and she hasn't toured all that much (and her ticket sales aren't great). Musical acts make their money in tour sale and endorsements + song writing credits. Gwen has a lot of songwriting credits while Christina has few.

Except for her debut, Spanish language and Christmas albums, Christina is at least a co-write on pretty much all her songs.  She's a co-writer on every track for what are typically considered her two best albums, Stripped and Back to Basics.  Gwen is a co-write on nearly all her and No Doubt's tracks too.  Christina's also had plenty of endorsements.  There's a section on her wiki if you want to bother looking.  As I'm sure Gwen also has plenty of endorsements.  Christina hasn't toured recently, but when she did she was huge.  Her Back to Basics Tour was something like the second highest grossing tour of 2007.  No Doubt and Solo Gwen was just never quite a big as act, but they were very successful in their own right.  Why do people have to diminish someone's accomplishments to boost another's?  It's really off-putting.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just Googling says Gwen Stefani's net worth is $90 million and Christina's is $130 million.

People will insist on their figures anyway, I suspect.

While it's likely Gwen's diversification was into stuff like fashion and makeup, Christina, even just doing just music (although didn't she have a perfume too?) has something Gwen's never going to have... a built in International audience beyond the English speaking countries.  The Spanish speaking countries are a humongous audience, and even with her English-language albums I think Christina has some loyalty there. All of the quoting being tossed around about US chart placement or even US gold or platinum record certification isn't usually taking that into account. 

Of  course just based on money I suppose Shakira dwarfs both of these other ladies. (EDIT - just saw someone else noted that too--although that same person didn't at all take into account that Christina shares some of that same International marketability as Shakira, even if she's not quite the same level in that market as Shakira--she's got it far more than Gwen).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I guess even here in PTV, a season discussing Xtina will never be boring. Let me just say that I don't buy the Gwen and Xtina rumors AT ALL. They have really been great friends even as early as 2007, both attending each other's kid's parties and have scheduled lots of child playtime. There are lots of pictures in it in the internet (google it up, folks). And while Xtina is also friends with Miranda (definitely got connected through Blake), it's not as if she can only be friends with one. I even remember back in S1 when Miranda tweeted a shade against Xtina and later apologized that she did not meant it as such. They've been spotted out in dinners since then. Even when the new Blake-Gwen romance blossomed, there was an interview with Xtina where she was asked about it (which felt like the reporter hoping to get some quotable quotes), and Christina just specified that she's been friends with both Gwen and Blake and that she's really happy for them and not be bothered with how the press is spinning the romance since everyone deserves to be happy yada yada.

This whole Christina can't work with other female artists is really one of the most overstated things in the internet. Sure, she had feud with Mariah (whose ego is definitely bigger than Christina's), Pink and Mary J. Blige but those were still back in 2004 onwards. Her interaction with Miley alone during this season would be enough to contradict that she hates other women or gets insecure because isn't she the one's who been on record continuously wishing why there isn't a season with two women yet?

• Love 3

I remember Christina coming on during Gwen's first season and saying she was rooting for her to win it because it was beyond time for a woman to win. I know Christina has an ego, but she's always been supportive of other women succeeding.

• Love 1
Her interaction with Miley alone during this season

Their bits together have been a lot of fun. I think Christina deserves a lot of credit for having loosened up so much on this show.  Not everyone can walk into a reality show and be a natural.  Look at Carson (and I've always liked him).  Also, from reading the boards, Christina started the show in the middle of a lot of personal drama (divorce, etc.).  Until I see for myself that she can't work with another woman on this show, I'm not going to believe it.

• Love 1

"American Idol" Winner Trent Harmon Auditioned for "The Voice" Two Years Ago--And No Chairs Turned

http://www.inquisitr.com/2981761/american-idol-winner-trent-harmon-auditioned-for-the-voice-two-years-ago-and-no-chairs-turned/

Personally, I haven't watched American Idol in several seasons, but I turned it on for a few minutes on Wednesday night just to see/hear what the final three sounded like.  (I did watch the Idol finale on Thursday in its entirety to see some of the contestants from earlier seasons that I had watched.)  IMO, all three of the AI finalists were not very good and couldn't hold a candle to the average Voice finalist, so this revelation that the final Idol winner couldn't even get a chair to turn doesn't surprise me.  

• Love 2