Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

By the way, does anyone know anything about what went wrong --really-- with Craig Wayne Boyd? His debut was strong and he seemed to have a good following.  Seemed like he and Borchetta parted with mutual bad feelings and in a pretty short time. I wonder what really happened there?

This is a really good interview with Kimberly NIchole.  A lot of good behind the scenes stuff on her The Voice journey, plus some interesting discussion on the current state of the music industry.  Among other things, it seems Joshua Davis helped hook her up with Slash, with whom she's performed after the show.  Does Joshua know everyone in the industry? I still can`t believe Kimberly went out at Top 6.

http://tvline.com/2015/06/14/kimberly-nichole-the-voice-season-8-interview/#comment-list-wrapper

• Love 1

According to that article, the producers connected Kimberly with Slash as part of the planned homecoming episode.  Pharrell encouraged her to pursue it post show which was really good advice.

Josh tangentially knows Jack White though.  That's pretty neat.

It's also interesting that Christina was the one that encouraged Creep.  Apparently Kim wanted to do Dirty Diana that week.

One...I think it's cool that Christina loved a Haley Reinhart performance. :) 

Two..yea..Joshua seems to be very connected. From what I know of that Michigan musician group, they tend to be very well connected, but seem to prefer to be just out of the spotlight (except for Darren Criss) when it comes to the music business. 

(edited)

It looks like NBC is doing what it can for Craig Wayne Boyd by giving him the Miss USA gig:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-voice-winner-craig-wayne-boyd-to-open-miss-usa-pageant

The only problem is that Donald Trump then went and called Mexican immigrants "rapists".  Univision immediately cancelled their broadcast of the pageant and a lot of pressure is being put on NBC to do the same.

CWB may still have a job. I read that the Trump people would probably try to line up with Telemundo for the broadcast instead.

The networks are going to have to be very careful about Donald Trump and things with The Donald's name on TV, now that he's officially announced he's running for president. Can you imagine how much equal time they'd have to provide, just for the Republican candidates?

Edited by JeanneH

I think I'm more surprised they were only married 4 years. Seems way longer than that!

That's probably because they dated for like 6 years before getting married.

It's definitely sad because I like them both individually. I hope both of them are ready for the media shitstorm and tabloids in the upcoming months. It's surprising for me because they seemed so compatible and loving but also not surprising because both of them are out on the road and barely see each other.

Miranda did stopped wearing her ring the past few weeks and cried at her concert this past weekend. Who knew.

Poor Blake can't play the wife card anymore.

How's it not surprising?  I thought they were happy!

It's not surprising to me because this is pretty typical when two people cheat on the married spouse. Even when they go on and it's serious and they get married, that's usually a beginning that ends up badly, imo. (At least legally separate before starting an affair,you know?)

Accd. to TMZ, Blake was the one who filed, the terms are already worked out and the divorce becomes final today.  Not sure if that's true, but if so, it's pretty amazing that they could keep it so very quiet for this long. http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/20/blake-shelton-miranda-lambert-divorce/

(edited)

It's not surprising to me because this is pretty typical when two people cheat on the married spouse. Even when they go on and it's serious and they get married, that's usually a beginning that ends up badly, imo. (At least legally separate before starting an affair,you know?)

Accd. to TMZ, Blake was the one who filed, the terms are already worked out and the divorce becomes final today. Not sure if that's true, but if so, it's pretty amazing that they could keep it so very quiet for this long. http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/20/blake-shelton-miranda-lambert-divorce/

In Oklahoma a divorce without kids only takes 10 days, so it'd be easy to keep quiet. Such a fast turnaround is probably why we are top five in divorce rates. Edited by Stuffy

In Oklahoma a divorce without kids only takes 10 days, so it'd be easy to keep quiet. Such a fast turnaround is probably why we are top five in divorce rates.

Wow, I didn't know! Personally, I like that, nice and quick and private. I had no idea it could be so fast.

Wow that is fast! I guess it's not surprising because they did seem to spend a lot of time apart. And also, similar to what Padma said about not getting off to a good start. Still you don't wish divorce on anyone.

• Love 1

That's probably because they dated for like 6 years before getting married.

ahhhh yes that is probably why!

to be honest I don't follow country music and never much knew anything about either of them until the voice and then i think i saw a tv show about their relationship which is probably where I had heard they dated for awhile. 

Wonder how many people will NOT choose Blake now because they won't meet Miranda. 

(edited)

ahhhh yes that is probably why!

to be honest I don't follow country music and never much knew anything about either of them until the voice and then i think i saw a tv show about their relationship which is probably where I had heard they dated for awhile. 

Wonder how many people will NOT choose Blake now because they won't meet Miranda. 

Might be balanced by the ones who will choose him in the hope of starting a relationship or at least having a fling.

Edited by Padma

Doesn't quote anyone by name so, really, who knows?  But I think it's interesting that Blake was the one who filed and how completely discretely it was done, including initials...different county...and protective order to ensure it remained private.

Very classy and if you add it all up, it wouldn't surprise me if it's cheating or "alienation of affection" (and she's still with someone else) on Miranda's part. I really like him much more anyway (from what I've seen of both of them) so I kind of hope that he's the aggrieved part--and is over it, happily moving on--rather than the one at fault. (Actually, Miranda doesn't seem the quiet type if someone cheated on HER--she's so moody and so "fiery"--so that makes me think these kinds of articles may have something to them.)

• Love 3
(edited)

At least one site (Rickey) announced today that the guest mentors for the Battle Rounds are set. They are Selena Gomez (Gwen), John Fogerty (Adam), Missy Elliott (Pharrell), and Brad Paisley for Team Blake.

I like how the article highlights Selena as exceeding expectations as if they immediately knew they'd have to pre-empt critiques about her talent, or lack there of...and I also wonder if this might be a trial run for Paisley, if Blake starts eye-ing the door in the couple of years...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Might be balanced by the ones who will choose him in the hope of starting a relationship or at least having a fling.

I think that was part of Adam's problem this season with getting the women on his team - he went off and got married...lol

Wasn't Paisley on that show that was trying to imitate the Voice and had, I think Robin Thicke on it as well? Neither of those two were very good as judges. Although I'm sure Paisley will be okay in a limited role on The Voice, he seemed like kind of a jerk, if memory serves. Country, yes, but nothing like what Blake brings to the table personality-wise. I think someone like Kelly Clarkson would be a better replacement (and it wouldn't surprise me if the show offered it to Miranda), even though it might (gasp!) mean that two of the judges would be women.

Yeah Paisley was on that Rising Star fiasco. He was a much better judge/mentor than Kesha was, although that's a pretty low bar to clear.

Where Blake is the slightly drunk and gregarious life of the party....Brad has a much drier, snarky personality. He's an elite level guitar player too....whether that comes into play w/ any contestant on Blake's team remains to be seen...

• Love 1

Jennifer Nettles is A-List in country circles (more famous as Blake was pre-Voice).  She's the lead singer for Sugarland and has had decent success as a solo artist too.  

Most of the major women in country music at the moment are lead singers for groups rather than solo artists - which gives them less immediate name recognition (but plenty of face recognition - and you just say "Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland" until people get used to her on her own).

Edited by smlait
  • Love 1

Sounds good, but I think if they were to have a female country singer as a judge, they should choose someone who is already well known even among non-country fans. Names that come to mind include Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Leann Rhimes, Dolly Parton (although maybe she is too old) and the singer from Dixie Chicks. Maybe even Allison Krauss?

Edited by Mattipoo

Sounds good, but I think if they were to have a female country singer as a judge, they should choose someone who is already well known even among non-country fans. Names that come to mind include Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Leann Rhimes, Dolly Parton (although maybe she is too old) and the singer from Dixie Chicks. Maybe even Allison Krauss?

Nah...except for maybe Dolly Parton, Sugarland has way more cache than any of those singers now.  Also, Leann Rhimes would be downright awful I think.

I'm not into country music and even I know who Jennifer Nettles is.  She's kind of like the Christina Aguilera of country when it comes to the pure power and precision of her voice.  It's hard to think of anybody more suited to this show, at least in that respect.

Jennifer Nettles 101

A classic:

Something a bit less country (which may be why its one of my favorite of hers):

LOL if so I doubt Christina Aguilera will want to let Jennifer Nettles get on "The Voice" as a judge lest she outshines her! You just know that Christina Aguilera is a jealous bitch diva who calls the shots from behind the scenes via Mark Burnett.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 1

Rihanna is such a huge star that I think "The Voice" landed a casting coup by having her. Although I don't know how much she can really contribute in terms of imparting vocal skills, but then again if a b-list nobody like Selena Gomez can be a mentor, so can Rihanna.

I'm sure a lot of people were dubious when Taylor Swift was assigned as a mentor a season or 2 ago and she did an amazing job with all the contestants. Vocal ability doesn't necessarily equate ability to teach. Selena is no great singer but she has had a lot of experience performing and being in front of cameras. Perhaps she can offer advice to the 15 and 16 year olds.

yes Taylor Swift is an amazing artist because she actually writes and co-produces her own songs and had been really successful at it. Selena Gomez on the other hand, is a talentless puppet for the Disney star making machine who sings songs written for her and has no other discernible talent than to look pretty in front of the camera and do tons of drugs. Ditto Demi Lovato and Lindsay Lohan too.

Edited by Mattipoo

Oh well, I am going to just pretend Selena Gomez doesn't exist on the show and look forward to seeing the real star: Rihanna, in action as a mentor when the season starts.

Even though she doesn't really write and is relatively talentless other than looking pretty in front of the camera and doing tons of drugs?

• Love 1

Even though she doesn't really write and is relatively talentless other than looking pretty in front of the camera and doing tons of drugs?

You should watch her Rock in Rio set she recently did to great acclaim from basically everyone that saw it. She was fantastic.