Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

The film may be in huge trouble because Brian Singer is now in huge trouble.

'X-Men' director Bryan Singer targeted in teen sex abuse lawsuit

The timing is disastrous for the film. If it had been closer to the release date then a lot of the usual publicity (talk shows, press tour, premiere) would have already happened or been committed to.  At this point I'd guess the studio will shut all that down.  

The other possibility could be to move the premiere date to later in the year and hope this blows over.

The thing is, a decent amount of this story could probably be verified.  Maybe not issues of consent, but given the apparent age of the claimant at the time, "consent" doesn't mean the same thing as it does with an adult.

Yeah, seems like it's been an open secret in Hollywood for quite some time. 

I have to wonder how much actors like Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart knew, since they've known Singer for ages. Ian's close friends with him IIRC, and he worked with Singer on Apt Pupil, which was also the target of a lawsuit. 

Egan was apparently working with Oscar-nominated director Amy Berg on a documentary expose about sexual abuse in Hollywood. Amy previously worked on Deliver Us From Evil (about the abuse in the Catholic church) and West of Memphis (about the West Memphis Three). 

(edited)

They've released so many trailers that I felt like I've seen the movie already ...... that being said, I'll probably go see it because, well Michael Fassbender is pretty fantastic in just about everything he does.

Though I am highly confused at some of the time line elements, for example (spoiler tag just in case) . . .  .

• Why is Professor X walking around in the 1970s?  He was wheelchair bound at the end of X-Men: First Class (1961)
  • Why is Beast not blue anymore? I thought once Beast transformed he was pretty much stuck in Beast form.
  • If present day Wolverine’s consciousness was transferred to 1970s Wolverine, why does he have bone claws?  I thought he was given his adamantium in the 50s (I'm not sure as I haven't read the comics is a while)

Perhaps I am thinking way too much about these things and I should just enjoy the movie for the action-fluff that it is.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
(edited)

So, I just saw the movie. It was fun and I'll probably go see it again, but it has a lot of problems...both plot and characterisation are unfortunately a bit wonky sometimes.

Quicksilver is completely unnecessary, and I wish they'd left him out and instead had just Charles/Hank/Wolverine come up with a way to get Erik free. It felt very deus ex machina, and then he just walked off screen and was never seen again. Also, I know they wanted to tease that he and his little sis are Magneto's kids (good luck with that), but especially the sister cannot possibly be. She looked younger than ten to me (no twins) which was the period Erik was in prison. And even if she's older, the no-nonsense mom did not remotely seem like a person who got pregnant on accident by a mysterious metal bender twice. So all in all, wish they'd just have left that out. He took up screentime that could have been spent on more significant characters.

Mystique has a ton of screentime this movie, which I guess was to be expected from the JLaw-effect, but she's still not a favourite of mine. At least she's more three-dimensional in this movie, although that might come at the expense of Erik, who just goes for the worst possible solution in every single situation. And I really, really could have done without the implications that they were a thing, because Erik is enough of a dark character without me also thinking of him as a creeper who took advantage of an emotionally confused girl who was a lot less mature than him and basically just followed his every word. At least she blew him off after she realised he'd never care for her that much. Because he cares about nothing as much as he cares about his own survival and his war.

I wish we'd have gotten more (and more substantial) young Erik/Charles, but at least the old Magneto/Xavier scenes were great. At the end of it all, they truly care for and respect each other. I mean, I wish poor Charles wouldn't have to wait until retirement to actually get his friend back, but better than nothing. At least in this new universe his sister isn't lost to him.

So, the whole timey-wimey mumbojumbo confused me: The original timeline doesn't exist anymore after 1973, is that right? Other events led to another future, where everything appears to be sunshine, ponies and rainbows (except for Kitty who lost her boyfriend I guess). Original future is gone. But the new 1973 people will not necessarily end up in the same place as the new future right? Or will they? I was a little bit lost.

Edited by KatWay

No, the new 1973 (where Raven didn't kill Trask) will lead to the new 2023, where everyone's still alive.

I really liked the movie. My main problem was just that the new 2023 characters didn't get any characterisation, just cool fight scenes. Hopefully they exist in the new timeline and we'll see them in the future. Apparently the next movie is the First Class characters in the 80s though (despite the actors being mostly too young for that).

• Love 1
And I really, really could have done without the implications that they were a thing, because Erik is enough of a dark character without me also thinking of him as a creeper who took advantage of an emotionally confused girl who was a lot less mature than him and basically just followed his every word.

I haven't seen the film (and don't plan to).  But I don't understand this (and didn't get in the First Class film, either) - isn't Mystique the same age as Xavier?  Didn't they meet as children, and their ages were subtitled on the screen? So how is she a girl compared to Erik?  She didn't seem all that confused at the end of First Class - she left her "friend" bleeding and paralyzed from a wound that Erik indirectly caused, and joined with Erik. 

• Love 1

But I don't understand this (and didn't get in the First Class film, either) - isn't Mystique the same age as Xavier?  Didn't they meet as children, and their ages were subtitled on the screen? So how is she a girl compared to Erik?  She didn't seem all that confused at the end of First Class - she left her "friend" bleeding and paralyzed from a wound that Erik indirectly caused, and joined with Erik.

The way they explained it is that she ages (and matures) much slower. That's why she was part of the kiddie group in the first movie. I think they said her cells (including brain cells) are special or something. They looked the same age when they met, but Charles aged much faster and was pretty firmly in older brother territory by the end of it.

And to me she seemed like a rather weak and pathetic teenage girl in the first movie, whose attentions shifted from guy to guy in hopes of boosting her self esteem until Erik told her what she wanted to hear (you're hot in blue) and that was enough for her to leave her brother bleeding in the sand. 

This movie showed that she still wasn't 100% on board with Erik's whole "let's kill them all, just in case". They made a big deal out of the fact that she hadn't been able to bring herself to kill before (Trask was going to be her first). She seemed really conflicted about Charles and Hank, when she met them. Erik was the one who trained her to fight and kill and Erik was the one who, more or less unintentionally, used the fact that she was insecure about her looks to form her into his loyal follower. If you look at this Mystque and the one in the trilogy, they're two entirely different people. That's mainly Erik's influence. And even in this movie which had her ten years older, she still seemed so much younger than either Charles or Erik. That's why I really could have done without the sexual undertones. Not to mention that it makes Erik trying to murder her without even letting Charles try the kinder approach first even worse. Although the look Raven gave Hank at the end suggested that it was not lost on her that he had saved her from Erik.

• Love 1

Nice movie. They should've subtitled it "The Search For The Shiny Reset Button." Can't believe everything went back to normal (or as close to X2) in the end. I'm a bit confused how to tie the movie in with The Wolverine, but it was a fun waste of a few hours. And the after-credits scene leads into The Next Big Thing, much like the DisneyMarvelverse.

Apocalypse putting together a pyramid by his lonesome, surrounded by admirers and his Four Horsemen in Ancient Egypt?

Call me a sucker, but I'm there.

I saw Anna Paquin's name in the credits, but I didn't see Ms. Sookie anywhere. And come to think of it, where was the Stan Lee cameo? and since when can Kitty Pryde project a consciousness into the past? I get that she was the one to make the journey in the Claremont/Byrne story, but I can't write it off as a secondary mutation.

I saw Anna Paquin's name in the credits, but I didn't see Ms. Sookie anywhere.

She was in it for a blink and you miss it cameo at the end in the happy rainbows alternate future. She was holding Bobby's hand, so presumably the reset also resulted in him and Rogue staying together instead of him ditching her for Kitty (who he was dating in the sentinel future).

Okay, see, I thought that was Kitty. Doesn't explain why her name was that high in the credits.

I'm also guessing that the destruction of RFK Stadium was the reason why the Senators left Washington to greener pastures in Arlington, at least in that universe.

• Love 1

I'm all for the reset button. Brian Singer or not, this lets them use anyone they want for the next film, except people thought dead in First Class or in Mystique's file pull. (They could say not really dead of course, though except for Emma Frost why bother). It feels like the beginning of the Grant Morrison run, though if I see Xorn I will riot. I want to see Logan teach a session in the Danger Room.

I missed the beginning. Why does Kitty have the time travel powers? (Other than not wanting to have to explain Rachel Summers)

I liked the movie. Thought there would be more team building in the 70s, both on the part of the professor and Mystique. Might get overstuffed if they did so, certainly.

I didn't realize that Asian future chick was Blink until I read the cast list after. All along I thought they made Jubilee useful somehow.

One last thought: Did the recon wipe Superman Returns out of existence? Cause that would be great.

• Love 1

Okay, see, I thought that was Kitty. Doesn't explain why her name was that high in the credits.

She has a good agent.

Apparently there was a subplot cut out with her in one of the camps in the future.

KatWay, I thought the Quicksilver stuff was really fun and didn't detract from the movie at all. I could watch that Pentagon kitchen scene all day.

And is a Bobby/Kitty pairing canon? (Haven't read the comics.) Because maybe I missed it, but I didn't necessarily see them as a couple in the future. Seemed like everyone was too busy avoiding death to pair up at all.

• Love 1

KatWay, I thought the Quicksilver stuff was really fun and didn't detract from the movie at all. I could watch that Pentagon kitchen scene all day.

I thought the kitchen scene was great, easily the best action scene of the movie. It's just that it felt so lazy to me, from a storytelling point of view - oh, we need to get Erik out of prison? Well lucky for us we know this character nobody's seen before who has extremely useful powers just for that purpose! Gets us in and out of there with nary a hair scratched on anybody and then conveniently disappears, because keeping him around for the rest of the movie would just be too convenient.

And is a Bobby/Kitty pairing canon? (Haven't read the comics.) Because maybe I missed it, but I didn't necessarily see them as a couple in the future. Seemed like everyone was too busy avoiding death to pair up at all.

It seemed pretty obviously implied to me (and the people I watched the movie with). They seemed headed for coupledom in The Last Stand, and shared lots of significant glances this one, not to mention Bobby hovering over her when she did her thing. I also thought Wolverine looked surprised for a second when he saw Rogue with him in the new future. But I guess it's open to interpretation. In the comics I think she's mostly associated with Colossus (though Iceman was also an interest at some point), who was standing next to her in the new future sequence. But the movie pairings and the comic pairings diverge pretty strongly, aside from the Logan/Jean/Scott triangle. Mystique is (more or less) bisexual in the comics (we'll never see that on screen though), and dates just about anybody but Magneto.

Loved this, had a great time, and would love to see a Quicksilver movie.  I hope Aaron Taylor-Johnson can bring as much fun to the role as Evan Peters did.

Evan will be back in the X-Men:Apocalypse film.  Loved the sneaky reference to Magneto being his father.  I hope that gets addressed.

So, who was Peter/Pietro holding in his lap in the scene in the living room when he was watching TV?  Was that supposed to be Wanda?  I thought they were twins?  Or was it Polaris?

• Love 2

The movie was fun.  But I would have liked more past/future interaction.  It would have been interesting, for instance, for Wolverine to have been pulled back to the future midway through, forcing the future-folk to come up with a Plan B.  

Basically, I wanted more timey-wimey-ness and less raven-sad-face-ness.

• Love 1

Its been confirmed it was Polaris sitting in Quicksilvers lap. I felt he was a real highlight of the movie. As someone who watches AHS I had a feeling Evan would to a good job. Considering all the backlash at first I am sure everyone is thrilled now.

I loved the scene between Patrick and James.

I hated The Last Stand so I am glad all of that is now gone.

• Love 3
(edited)

Its been confirmed it was Polaris sitting in Quicksilvers lap.

But...how? Magneto has been dating a human woman all this time? That girl looked barely ten, so if we say she has to be at least that age (unless the pentagon allows conjugal visits), did he also get the woman pregnant while he was probably dating Mystique? And she never told him about the kids, which would indicate that they were not planned, but why would she continue to see him after the Quicksilver conception then? None of this makes any sense to me.

Where has it been confirmed that it's supposed to be Polaris? If anything, she looked like a potential Wanda to me, not that that makes any more sense.

ETA: In a Vulture interview, the writer said they were teasing Quicksilver's origins for the comic fans. So not sure if anything will come of that. Honestly, I'm pretty tired of daddy issue storylines in comic book movies (all of them, basically) so I'm fine if it stays a hint.

On an unrelated note, the article also confirmed the Kitty/Bobby/Rogue "triangle". Basically, he said that Bobby would have stayed with Rogue if the Sentinels hadn't been in the picture and the new reality reflects that.

I hated The Last Stand so I am glad all of that is now gone.

True. On the other hand, I really liked X-Men and especially X2, so I'm a little sad that those never happened either. 

Edited by KatWay

But...how? Magneto has been dating a human woman all this time? That girl looked barely ten, so if we say she has to be at least that age (unless the pentagon allows conjugal visits), did he also get the woman pregnant while he was probably dating Mystique? And she never told him about the kids, which would indicate that they were not planned, but why would she continue to see him after the Quicksilver conception then? None of this makes any sense to me.

Where has it been confirmed that it's supposed to be Polaris? If anything, she looked like a potential Wanda to me, not that that makes any more sense.

Erik would have married/been with the twins' mother prior to meeting with Charles in First Class. They could have been together while he was off chasing/killing Nazis, and she got tired off his vendetta/disappearance. They divorce/break up and go their separate ways. She finds out she pregnant but does not tell him for the same reason that they broke up. If the younger sister is supposed to be Polaris (and still Magneto's daughter in this version), then he and the mother could have run into each other in DC (where the Maximoff were living) prior to his leaving for Dallas to save JFK. Maybe that is part of the reason why Mystique and Erik broke up. He cheated on her with his ex. Then the feds locked up Erik in the Pentagon for 10+ years and mom just thinks that Erik disappeared on her again. Erik still would be clueless about having kids.

In the Vulture interview, the writer said it was a tease for those who know that Magneto is a "playboy", so if it's meant to be taken as more than a tease, it was probably a one time thing. I've read somewhere else that the younger girl was only a younger sister, and not Wanda. Polaris doesn't make sense either way, she looks different and has a different mother than Quicksilver in the comics.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this, mostly because Fassbender as Magneto is super entertaining to watch. I also really liked how they showcased Blink's powers because she is one of my favorite X-Men characters.

I heard the next movie is going to be 

set in the 80s and feature teen Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm? I'm cautiously optimistic.

I thought the next movie was going to be

Age of Apocalypse, as suggested by the bonus scene after the credits. I'm pretty sure that was a young En Sabah Nur (a.k.a. Apocalypse) doing his thing in ancient Egypt

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, though I think the "Best comic book movie ever!" commentary from some critics is overblown. I thought Singer brought a nice rhythm back to the franchise that the other non-Singer films lacked, the acting was pretty good and they didn't totally ruin the original source material. I really enjoyed Quicksilver's character and assume he'll have a larger role in future films. I also loved that now that stupid X-men 3 movie has been retconned out of existence - though I find it funny that the Days of Future Past writer is the one who wrote Last Stand, and has had to do a "Yeah, my bad on that one" mea culpa in all his interviews.

• Love 1

Yea I think it's going to be 

Apocalypse as the man villain but it will be set in the 80s. My theory is that the event at the White House causes him to pay more attention to mutants and start his plans earlier, which is why he didn't show up in the original timeline. Which is basically what happens in the Age of Apocalypse story, one of my all-time favorites.

I saw this today. I enjoyed it. I'm not too caught up in the what makes sense or not as long as I'm entertained, but one thing is bugging me for some stupid reason. If X3 is all but erased was the cure ever offered? I saw Rogue hold Bobby's hand at the end but didn't notice if she had on gloves or not.

My Michael Fassbender crush showed itself in full force & I almost wanted to cheer for Magneto. I think the crowd in the theater might not have understood.

• Love 2

I don't think she did have gloves on. But a cure was around in 1973, maybe she's taking that. Or maybe she got her powers under control at some point.

(edited)

I saw this Sunday night and it was a good movie, but trying to rectify everything from the original trilogy and those Wolverine films, and it starts to fall apart.  If you think about this movies plot afterwards, it falls apart bad.

What was the point of Magneto trying to kill the President on live tv?  What did he think would happen, the future timeline would be better?  The only thing I can think of was that he couldn't and wouldn't let anyone other than himself be the mutant who starts a revolution, and that's why he had to take out Mystique and the President.

Was it really necessary to kill off everybody else from First Class basically?!  I mean Angel, Azazel, and Typhoon are fine and all, but they just had to say Emma Frost and Banshee were lost/killed too?!  I know January Jones wasn't the best, but they certainly could have recast with another buxom blonde and Banshee is just as important to the X-Men mythos.

So Moria was just gone?  Hell they could have said she took off after Charles became addicted to the drug to help him walk, a throwaway line or something.  I'm surprised we didn't get a line that she was killed/experimented on b/c she was friendly with the mutants.

JFK was a mutant and that's why he was assassinated?!  What was his power, that he was charming and a slut?

Doesn't the Wolverine Origins movie say that Wolverine and Victor Creed were hanging out in during this era?  Ugh...

So Kitty has a secondary power that is now a physical power to send people back in time, uh.....yeah.  Marvel, please don't carry this crap over to the comics.  I mean they could have created a new character whose power was the ability to travel back in time or send somebody back.

This was Kitty's storyline, and they had to give it to Wolverine, it just infuriates me.  I hate the Wolverine has to still be front in center in both timeline/trilogies.

I know the quick Wolverine scene in First Class was funny, but it messed everything up by saying that everything had to be connected when they could have just a had a fresh start.  Oh well...

My idea as to how Jean and Cyclops were still alive was that when young Charles looked into Wolverine's mind, he saw/learned of their fates, and he handled Jean's powers differently, instead of putting mind blockers in b/c she couldn't handle said power, he worked with her and helped her control the power, therefore she didn't go crazy and kill Charles, Scott, and then beg for Wolverine to kill herself.

I think Singer/Marvel owes us a corrected timeline that we can see what stuck and what didn't and why.  I enjoyed the Wolverine movie (the last one) and now that movie could still happen, but Jean was the impetus for it.

So Beast had created a formula that suppresses the mutant gene that allows him to transform like the Hulk and the Professor to walk, so the whole point of the third movie was...  This was a major plot hole here, b/c why didn't Beast just whip up something for Rogue to help her out and let her lead a somewhat normal life where she can be with somebody physically.

This movie was a good action film, but again, it doesn't hold up at all if you think about it too much afterwards.

Moral of the story is if Singer doesn't like it he will just erase it to make it his own.

Edited by CMH1981
JFK was a mutant and that's why he was assassinated?!  What was his power, that he was charming and a slut?

That, and he had impeccable hair.

Seriously, I scratched my head at the idea that JFK was a mutant. Or maybe Erik meant he was a human who cared about mutants? No, that doesn't work, because then Magneto would have to consider other humans who are okay with mutants, and then he wouldn't have this permanent vendetta against the human race. Magneto wouldn't be Magneto if he didn't have a friggin' ax to grind (or levitate or whatever).

• Love 1

I laughed aloud in the theater when JFK as a mutant was announced. So did a sprinkling of other people. I was waiting for a Men in Black type screen to appear & show us the people who were mutants that we might have always suspected.

@Joe thanks for reminding me about the quasi-cure that Beast created. I guess Rogue could be shooting up every day as well.

(edited)

I thought the look of that entire sequence was beautifully filmed.

I was pleasantly surprised by this film, they answered a lot of the question I had about some timey-whimey-wonkiness hinted at in the trailers ~ though it did raise a whole bunch of other questions.  

I did NOT like the Mystique make-up .... it was entire too dark at times - I'm still not sure how I feel about everything hinges on Mystique - is that cannon or an invention of the film because the franchise wants to cash in on Lawerence's it-girl-status?

My Michael Fassbender crush showed itself in full force & I almost wanted to cheer for Magneto. I think the crowd in the theater might not have understood.

No almost for me ... I was rooting for him .... at least in this film Charles wasn't such a tool.  But still, Fassbender is such a charismatic actor that you can't help but be drawn in by him.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 2

I think Singer/Marvel owes us a corrected timeline that we can see what stuck and what didn't and why.  I enjoyed the Wolverine movie (the last one) and now that movie could still happen, but Jean was the impetus for it.

I thought I read that basically the only timeline that happened is X-Men: First Class and X-Men Days of Future Past ...... everything else never happened.

• Love 1
I did NOT like the Mystique make-up .... it was entire too dark at times - I'm still not sure how I feel about everything hinges on Mystique - is that cannon or an invention of the film because the franchise wants to cash in on Lawerence's it-girl-status?

The comics storyline for Days of Future Past centered on stopping Mystique and her Brotherhood of Evil Mutants from killing a Senator.

She wasn't involved at all with Magneto, AFAIK. She didn't grow up with Charles Xavier, so there wasn't any soap opera component. She was just a villain that had to be stopped. 

And (as has been mentioned), it was Kitty Pryde who went back in time, not Wolverine.

So they could have given her less screentime in this iteration, certainly. But her role was in line with the source material.

I did NOT like the Mystique make-up .... 

You're not alone. It kind of boggles my mind that they would step backward in terms of make-up, but whoever did Mystique's in X1/X2 was vastly superior to who was handling DOFP. You can even see folds on her back in the DOFP pic making it obvious that she's wearing a bodysuit ---yikes. I also didn't care for the make-up in First Class.

Thank god for Magneto's new suit, though. That horror that he's wearing at the end of First Class gave me nightmares.

JFK obviously had the mutant power to talk women out of their underwear.

He actually tried to tell Charles that "Groovy mutation, baby!" wasn't going to get the job done, but would Mister Most Powerful Mutant Mind on the Planet listen? Noooo.

• Love 1

Well, I loved it. If only because it TOTALLY erased X-3. Now I'm no longer a liar, because for YEARS, I kept saying to anyone who would listen, or not, that that atrocity Did.Not.Happen. And now, it didn't.

Sure, there were plot holes, but I don't care. Plus, (jumping into the shallow pool here), there was the bonus of seeing Jackman's nekkid bum! And he looked totally massive, meaning, it appeared as if he bulked up, because I could have sword he wasn't that...huge in The Wolverine.  In my head, that story still happened, it's just that someone else was the impetus instead of Jean's ghost.

I also had a huuuuuuge ass grin on my face at the three second uncredited cameo of Grammar as Beast.

A couple of things (and I probably need to go see this again, as I went on Sunday night after working OT on a brief for work and was brain dead and needed to decompress), but how exactly did Logan injure Kitty, when she was sitting above his head? And...I just forgot the other thing I wanted to ask!

I will say that out of the "original" cast, for me, Jackman, Sir Ian and Sir Patrick are the the only ones who are actually believable/brought the characters they played to life. Everyone else was just miscast.

Oh! I did love Pietro, though. Like others, I could watch that Pentagon scene a million times over. EVERYONE in the theatre was cracking up alongside with me.

Like few others, Jennifer Lawrence does NOTHING for me as an actress and I HATE her Raven/Mystique. And I'm not a fan of the scaly look. Why couldn't they just make her skin look blue? And I hate, hate, hate that she's the fucking centerpiece of this movie. And I don't care that her character was "established" as one of my friends tried to tell me, in First Class, so that's why. Me? I don't care.

Oh! Just remembered my second question: So, are we to now believe that Mystique is behind sending Logan to get his adamantium claws, then?

So, since Stan Lee is very frail now, is that why Len Wein had a cameo instead of Lee? Or was Lee there for a blink and you missed it when Mystique transformed into him in Paris?

• Love 1
A couple of things (and I probably need to go see this again, as I went on Sunday night after working OT on a brief for work and was brain dead and needed to decompress), but how exactly did Logan injure Kitty, when she was sitting above his head?

I found myself wondering this as well after the film ended. Seems like he would have had to put his arms back behind his head... which is kind of a weird thing to do when flailing around on a table.

How did Trask arrive so fast from Paris to the Oval Office in order to pitch his Sentinel programme before Nixon?...

On the whole I enjoyed the film very much, but I'm hoping the next installment will not make Erik the big bad in the end (again). I like the friendship between Xavier and Magneto and I want it explored more. On the whole, everything Erik did in the film from the Paris incident onwards was utterly idiotic. And I cannot understand how a character so calculating would resort to such petty means.

1. killing Mistique - doesn't solve any problem, as her body is still out there. Erik from First Class would go miles in order to protect any mutant (apart from Shaw). Keeping Mistique hidden - now that is more logical. Good for him she's the forgiving type...

2. killing the president on camera - and knowing at the same time a similar act of killing resulted in war and distrust for mutants. Illogical.

I love Fassbender as Magneto, but I hope they would give him more varied material to work with.

In the end it turned out that breaking M. from Pentagon was a big mistake and the gang could have stopped and persuade Mistique without Erik... But then we wouldn't have got the coolest scene in the movie.

Just saw this again last night and still very much enjoyed it.

There was one thing that had me scratching my head. No, no, something different this time.

At the end, when Logan sees Jean, her reaction at seeing him, was well, less than enthused, shall we say? No teasing about what a late start, etc., like Grammar's beast did. Famke just gave off a "oh, it's you. What do you want?" vibe. What was up with that? Hell, Scott was more friendlier, even as he grabbed Logan's hand.

And I suppose in this universe, Alex (Havok) is older than Scott? Which whatever.

But the scenes in the Pentagon with Pietro (I refuse to call him Peter) was just as hilarious as the first time.  It's really too bad that Marvel and DC are competitors, because I could so see him as being Wally West's Flash. (yeah, yeah. I know, in the present stupidass 52, Wally doesn't exist, but 52 doesn't exist for ME so there).

And I paid close attention to when Logan went all crazy, and I still don't see how he was able to slash Kitty's waist where blood was dripping.

And Mystique's 'costume' remains to be an eyesore, not to mention that horrid wig. Don't see why they couldn't dress her up like the 'toon Mystique. Oh, wait. Then she wouldn't be able to use those legs like Rebecca's Mystique did.

Yeah, it still bugs that Mystique is at the heart of this.

And I don't know if this was a goof, or that Xavier just didn't know, but Trask wasn't her first kill. It was that general, who she pretended to be. So technically, Trask was her second kill, because If I understand it correctly, it was her killing Trask that set them all on that course for the transformable sentinels. Or am I overthinking this?

And I don't know if this was a goof, or that Xavier just didn't know, but Trask wasn't her first kill. It was that general, who she pretended to be.

She didn't kill that guy though. I think they made a pretty big point of showing him breathing after she was done with her smackdown. Which, I'm not saying she couldn't have killed any of those people on accident with the way she punched them around (she clearly learned from Erik, who's more than careless with collateral damage, as evidenced by his every move), but she even seemed to check that none of them were dead. 

I agree that the make-up is not great. Rebecca's Mystique looked more natural than the new one. If Jennifer isn't comfortable being completely naked (which I would get), can't they just dress her? She wears clothes in a lot of the comics stuff and cartoons.

Re: Jean's reaction, the only thing I got from that was that no matter how the Phoenix Saga played out in that new reality, her telepathy can't be that great. Logan ran right up to her and went "Jean!!!!" and basically stared at her in wonder and then even went weird at Scott and she's like "what's up, Logan?". 

No almost for me ... I was rooting for him .... at least in this film Charles wasn't such a tool.  But still, Fassbender is such a charismatic actor that you can't help but be drawn in by him.

Fassbender's very charismatic and Magneto even makes a good point in a while, but rooting for him? He always manages to go for the worst possible solution to every problem: kill everybody pre-emptively and then see what happens. I mean, I get why he thinks all humans are bad and will automatically hate mutants but at the same time he actively ensures that's what's going to happen. He doesn't want to be wrong. Because he needs to be right about this to get what he really wants, which is is mutant supremacy and superiority over a diminshed, inferior human race. I do feel like somebody should point out to him the similarities of his ideology to a certain other ideology. What I really thought The Last Stand messed up was glossing over what happened with Stryker's Cerebro in X2. It takes a very sick and twisted mind to attempt to murder every human being on earth and they just never dealt with that. 

• Love 3
Jean's reaction, the only thing I got from that was that no matter how the Phoenix Saga played out in that new reality, her telepathy can't be that great. Logan ran right up to her and went "Jean!!!!" and basically stared at her in wonder and then even went weird at Scott and she's like "what's up, Logan?".

Doesn't she (and the professor) make an effort not to read minds though? Covering the writers' asses--er, ethics and such. I have to agree about Michael Fassbender though. Every time he was on screen all I could think was "Wow," and smirk.

I think the X-Men movies are really jacked up though. I liked this entry though. I don't know of a series this fragmented in writing that wasn't supposed to be completely separate entries. I just don't want to hear anything about Wolverine! FFS no more WOLVERINE!

Also, I don't think Magneto is supposed to be Peter's father. It looked like more of a wink to the audience members who knew about the comics.

At the end, when Logan sees Jean, her reaction at seeing him, was well, less than enthused, shall we say? No teasing about what a late start, etc., like Grammar's beast did. Famke just gave off a "oh, it's you. What do you want?" vibe. What was up with that? Hell, Scott was more friendlier, even as he grabbed Logan's hand.

I've only seen it once, but the impression I got is that her vibe was more "why are you looking at me like that?" He was staring like he'd seen a ghost. I don't remember Scott grabbing Logan's hand. Probably because I was fangirling over his being alive again.

(edited)

Regarding Jean - I still think some of the past events rolled out the way they did before the timey-wimey stuff, so Jean is somewhat aware of the attraction Logan has for her. She was never fully welcoming regarding his attention - in X1 she felt uncomfortable, in X2 she told him she can flirt, but she will return to the good boy in the end. X3 was a mess, but Jean was more Phoenix than a regular Jean and her animalistic instincs took over. The Wolverine had an imaginary Jean who was speaking the lines Logan needed to hear.

The real Jean of the films kept Logan at an arms length. And so she did in the final scene.

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 2

I really wish the films didn't focus so much on that stupid triangle. Having Logan flirt with Jean is one thing, but saying his heart belongs to her by the end of X1 is laying it on thick. He barely knew the chick at all, FFS.

• Love 3

X2 felt most organic of the bunch. I can get behind Logan's sudden love for Jean, actually. Let's pretend she was just his type. Or she smelled right.

What didn't fit for me was Jean herself - Famke is a beautiful woman, but she's not Jean for me. What I would give to have Bridget Regan as Jean. Just imagine this: http://i99.beon.ru/img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9326/127918416.0/0_bf92f_ae1b3005_L.gif as her "Stop it, Logan" face.

Regarding the current X-Men installment, I don't get the Jennifer Lawrence phenomenon. I like her, but I don't want Mystique to be the central character of the film. There are so many strong female characters in the X-verse - where are they?

Storm has been reduced to background, Jean is neutered, Rogue... is a mistake. I want Psylocke, but an active one. 

• Love 1

The movies have done a horrible job of the "triangle" if you will of these three. Now, I've never read the comics and a friend "schooled" me yesterday, telling me, that Jean loved both Scott and Logan, but chose Scott. meh.

The cartoon of the 90s did it best for me. Jean loved/was in love/chose Scott; was attracted to Logan. period. Full stop.

But regardless of however whatever played out in the previous movies, that one scene at the end, and I'm sorry to keep harping about it, but it's bugging me...where Jean just looks at Logan like he's some bug, and irritated that he came up to her. Even if by this time, X3 was erased (thanksJaysus), Jean was never portrayed as cold when it came to Logan. So her tone, and the way she looked at him, irritated me. They should have cast a stronger actor who could be believable as Scott and equal to Jackman's Logan, because Marsden* just came off as a boy.

And now, after talking to my friend, I've another question. I was under the belief, that by the time Logan woke up in the end, that he had his adamantium claws back, but said friend informed me, that no, Logan still has the bone claws.

Now, I may be overthinking this, but to me, it seemed that when Logan asked McAvoy's Xavier to "find them", meaning, Scott, Jean, himself, that he wouldn't know that Logan worked for X-force, or whatever it was, that had Stryker sealing his bones with the steel. So, in my mind, that still happened.  That Xavier did find Logan, but after.  And that maybe Mystique delivered him? I dunno. I can't believe that she pretended to be Stryker just to save Logan.

And of course after I watched this again, I went back to watch the first two. Nothing will induce me to watch the crapfest of the movie that never happened. I'm shallow enough that because Jackman's in it, and I lust after him, that I have it. Along with that horrid Origins.

And Romjin's Mystique was even more scalier than Lawrence's! UGH. Why they had to uglify her instead of just having her in blue, like with Beast, Hoult's and Grammar's, is something I don't understand. Or clothes. Or a better, bobbish wig.

*Marsden is the only actor I've seen who's been in both Marvel and DC movies. Here, as Scott/Cyclops, and he was Perry White's nephew? in that horrid Superman Returns.

The movies have done a horrible job of the "triangle" if you will of these three. Now, I've never read the comics and a friend "schooled" me yesterday, telling me, that Jean loved both Scott and Logan, but chose Scott. meh.

The cartoon of the 90s did it best for me. Jean loved/was in love/chose Scott; was attracted to Logan. period. Full stop.

But regardless of however whatever played out in the previous movies, that one scene at the end, and I'm sorry to keep harping about it, but it's bugging me...where Jean just looks at Logan like he's some bug, and irritated that he came up to her. Even if by this time, X3 was erased (thanksJaysus), Jean was never portrayed as cold when it came to Logan. So her tone, and the way she looked at him, irritated me. They should have cast a stronger actor who could be believable as Scott and equal to Jackman's Logan, because Marsden* just came off as a boy.

I agree 100% with everything you said. First of all, the 90s cartoon was the closest I've seen to a movie/TV version that best captured my beloved X-Men comics.

Second, casting James Marden was a huge mistake. I agree you need someone who's a viable alternative to Logan, which means you need someone who comes across as a man, a natural leader. Cyclops should feel a lot like Captain America - a big boy scout who's a total square and yet you totally believe that people would follow him.

Back when the first movie came out, I thought that Tim Daly would actually be my ideal Cyclops:

250full-feed.jpg

• Love 3