Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

(edited)

@mad_typist, If they had made the film earlier, Tim Daly would have been fantastic. Or if they were going for an older Cyclops, I suppose. Timothy Olyphant would be my choice pick for Cyke in his 30s/40s. I'm sure they'll be casting for someone closer to teenaged for the next film.

They should have cast a stronger actor who could be believable as Scott and equal to Jackman's Logan, because Marsden* just came off as a boy.

And now, after talking to my friend, I've another question. I was under the belief, that by the time Logan woke up in the end, that he had his adamantium claws back, but said friend informed me, that no, Logan still has the bone claws.

It didn't help that they kept referring to him as "boy" in X1. I never understood why Singer cast Jean as older than Scott. It was a strange decision, and Famke and James didn't exactly have strong chemistry. Why do we assume Logan has bone claws in this future? We have no idea what's transpired since Logan changed the past. It could go either way. (Unless he popped them out and I don't recall?)

*Marsden is the only actor I've seen who's been in both Marvel and DC movies. Here, as Scott/Cyclops, and he was Perry White's nephew? in that horrid Superman Returns.

Ryan Reynolds is in Wolverine:Origins and The Green Lantern.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

Ryan Reynolds is in Wolverine:Origins and The Green Lantern.

Oh yeaaah!! Deadpool, right? But I can't stand Reynolds, and didn't/refused to watch Green Lantern, so that explains it slipping my mind!

And because I caved and finally got First Class on bluray, Amazon gave me an award, so's I can see this movie again fer FREE!!!

Third time's the charm, as they say!

What?

(edited)

I enjoyed the movie a lot, even if much of it doesn't make sense.  Magneto decides to work with Charles to prevent Mystique's death.  Since Mystique's death led to the acceleration of the Sentinel programme, giving them that adaptive ability, which leads to the death of all the X-Men in the future, including Maggy.  Then for some reason he has a change of heart and decides he wants to kill her anyways?

As much as I like Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence, this movie was way overrun with them.  It was like they were the two main characters, with a side helping of Maggy.  X-Men should be an ensemble.  I'm curious as to why they made Jackman shave or trim his chest... since Wolverine in any continuity would never do that.

I liked Quicksilver but I didn't like his look.  Those goggles were just awful.  I liked the new characters, especially Blink.  She was way cool.  I don't particularly care for Warpath or Bishop but it was nice to see some more diversity.  Who were the two mutants at the army prison besides Havok and Toad and why were those two particularly chosen?  One is labelled by IMDB as Ink.  The other is just "Mutant Soldier".

I wish Storm had a bigger role.  I know Halle Berry was pregnant, but at some point in some future X-Men movie, could she please have a bigger role?

*Marsden is the only actor I've seen who's been in both Marvel and DC movies. Here, as Scott/Cyclops, and he was Perry White's nephew? in that horrid Superman Returns.
Halle Berry was "Catwoman" in the standalone movie, which many have tried to forget about, but it still counts. Edited by blackwing
  • LOL 1

presumably the reset also resulted in him and Rogue staying together instead of him ditching her for Kitty (who he was dating in the sentinel future).

I confess I assumed that Bobby and Kitty hooked up in the future because Rogue had somehow been killed by the Sentinels. Rogue wasn't part of their post-apocalypse group, and if I'm not mistaken, there was an episode of the cartoon which showed a glimpse of a future and it highlighted many of the X-men tombstones - including Rogue's.

I just don't understand the mixing and matching of adults and teens in this movie series. Iceman, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops etc. are all supposed to be PEERS, not some adults and some puberty-ridden teens. When they did the total reset, I got excited, but then I saw Anna Fucking Paquin and I wanted to scream. The reset would have been the PERFECT opportunity to move past this angsty teen bullshit and age-discrepancy between the members of the X-Men.

I also scoff at Magneto's choice of fencing. Instead of picking any number of much lighter metal objects, he picks...a stadium. A mostly concrete, threaded through with some iron bars, stadium. Waste much? Sheesh. Why didn't he just yank the bunker and move IT to the centre of the stadium? Wouldn't that have been more energy efficient?

• Love 2
(edited)

Rogue wasn't part of their post-apocalypse group, and if I'm not mistaken, there was an episode of the cartoon which showed a glimpse of a future and it highlighted many of the X-men tombstones - including Rogue's.

Which echoed the iconic comic book cover where it has a poster of the X-Men with "APPREHENDED" or "SLAIN" plastered over each with a very old Wolverine and a Kitty that I think is supposed to be older as well. (It's a little harder to tell with her although Logan has graying temples so obviously is old there.) Every adaptation of DOFP that has been done has been made to reflect what the team of the moment is. In the cartoon, Rogue was dead even though in the comic she's not part of the team yet and when Rachel comes back in time and explains where she's from, Rogue has inner monologue wondering why Rachel has no idea who she is at all and questions her fate entirely.

I just don't understand the mixing and matching of adults and teens in this movie series. Iceman, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops etc. are all supposed to be PEERS, not some adults and some puberty-ridden teens.

Well... sort of. Kitty was significantly younger than everyone when she joined and Rogue wasn't much older. There's always been some differentiation in age... to a point. With the original 5 they always had Bobby as the youngest and Hank as the oldest but the difference was maybe four years. Kitty, Piotr and Rogue were teenagers when they joined with Banshee being significantly older than everyone else in the Second Genesis crew (this was before they decided to make Logan pretty much immortal with his healing factor... at that time, he was just an asshole with claws who healed fast.) That being said, it's been kind of annoying to me the way they slice and dice the various teams. Call me an old softie but I like the original 5 remaining intact. It got really weird with the cartoon when you had Jean, Scott and Beast but then they introduced Angel later and he seemed completely new to everyone and then they brought Bobby in later still WITH a flashback of the original five... but, I guess everyone had forgotten about Warren being there since it was all 'Who's this hot winged dude?'

I know I have to go into various adaptations knowing that they're going to be altered from comic continuity and that's fine. That continuity is, at this point, fifty years old so adjustments must be made. I just wish they'd have a firm grasp of that that continuity is. I like Evolution because they settled on what their world was. The movies... wow, they just went crazy with continuity all over the damn place and it didn't seem to matter from one film to another how anything or anyone related to each other. X-3 was obviously the worst of this but First Class fucked around with things, too.

I also scoff at Magneto's choice of fencing. Instead of picking any number of much lighter metal objects, he picks...a stadium. A mostly concrete, threaded through with some iron bars, stadium. Waste much? Sheesh. Why didn't he just yank the bunker and move IT to the centre of the stadium? Wouldn't that have been more energy efficient?

Movie!Magneto is such a fucking drama queen/attention whore. Seriously. And his big moves make no sense. I suppose moving a stadium is a good way to show off that he's uber powerful (much like his moving the Golden Gate Bridge in X-3.) Personally, I always thought that best example of how ridiculously powerful Magneto is was the way he broke out of prison in X-2... with just that little bit of iron, he completely decimated the prison, killed a whole slew of people, and escaped. That was hardcore. I was far less impressed with his moving bridges or stadiums about. Yes, yes, Erik. Your magnetic peen is bigger than everyone's.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 9
I just don't understand the mixing and matching of adults and teens in this movie series. Iceman, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops etc. are all supposed to be PEERS, not some adults and some puberty-ridden teens. When they did the total reset, I got excited, but then I saw Anna Fucking Paquin and I wanted to scream. The reset would have been the PERFECT opportunity to move past this angsty teen bullshit and age-discrepancy between the members of the X-Men.
While I agree with you that the mixing and matching annoys me to some degree (most notably in the case of Havok, who we are supposed to believe was a teen in 1973 which makes him way older than Cyclops), I don't necessarily think that Rogue and Bobby are supposed to be teens.  Anna Pacquin is 31 years old, she's long removed from her days as the 12 year old kid from "The Piano".  

I'm not sure how old the characters in the comics are supposed to be anymore, but I always thought of Scott, Jean, Hank and Warren as around 30.  Bobby I thought of as several years younger.  Rogue was about 5 years younger or maybe early 20s.  Storm is early to mid 30s, and Logan of course is ageless.  James Marsden is actually 40 now.  I think if there was a miscast, it was that he is too young or Famke Janssen is too old.

(edited)

I don't necessarily think that Rogue and Bobby are supposed to be teens.

But in X1, Rogue has only just started with her powers, which are supposed to appear with puberty (I assume 13/14). She turns up at the mansion and Jean, Scott, Storm etc. are all WELL into their 20s (at least). Wolverine looked even older and so Rogue's crush on him just squicked me out.

In the cartoon, they all seemed of similar age.

Shawn Ashmore as Iceman is more difficult to pin down because he has such a baby face.

But the fact that Rogue and Iceman are students whereas the others are teachers just really screams BIG AGE DIFFERENCE to me. It also kind of divides the group, which I hate. They come off as the next generation instead of equal members of the X-Men (even if they joined late).

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

I'm not sure how old the characters in the comics are supposed to be anymore

I don't think anyone knows at this point. Plus, you've got that sliding scale of history to contend with for some. Magneto is a Holocaust survivor which puts him in his 80s at least. Sure, he was de-aged then re-aged but still... that's a specific time period and he is from that period. They used to have Xavier as a war vet from Korea but I don't think that' s been mentioned in decades. Forge was a Vietnam vet, major part of his backstory, guess how old that makes him? But the comics seem to get to a point where it's like 'Okay, they just don't age anymore.' They hit 26 and never age again, that's the universal age unless specifically stated otherwise.

(edited)

Movie!Magneto is such a fucking drama queen/attention whore. Seriously. And his big moves make no sense. I suppose moving a stadium is a good way to show off that he's uber powerful (much like his moving the Golden Gate Bridge in X-3.) Personally, I always thought that best example of how ridiculously powerful Magneto is was the way he broke out of prison in X-2... with just that little bit of iron, he completely decimated the prison, killed a whole slew of people, and escaped. That was hardcore. I was far less impressed with his moving bridges or stadiums about. Yes, yes, Erik. Your magnetic peen is bigger than everyone's.

This. That prison break scene in X2 is my favorite in regards to his powers. It kind of bugs that the films really only choose to show his manipulating metal, when he's much more powerful. What about his manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum? Or the magnetic force fields he creates to protect himself; have they ever shown him do this? He's supposed to be one of the most powerful beings on the planet, and they just show him moving metal around. He's also got that genius level intellect, but the writers continue to make him do dumb shit. 

I don't think anyone knows at this point. Plus, you've got that sliding scale of history to contend with for some. Magneto is a Holocaust survivor which puts him in his 80s at least. Sure, he was de-aged then re-aged but still... that's a specific time period and he is from that period. 

I never understood why they didn't just say Magneto is kept young by harnessing the Earth's electromagnetic energy or somesuch. Make his youth and vigor power-related instead of all the insane de-aging/re-aging bullcrap. Didn't they make him an infant at one point? That's bananas.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

But the comics seem to get to a point where it's like 'Okay, they just don't age anymore.' They hit 26 and never age again

So, the X-Men are the comic equivalent of the Simpsons? :)

That prison break scene in X2 is my favorite in regards to his powers. It kind of bugs that the films really only choose to show his manipulating metal, when he's much more powerful. What about his manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum? Or the magnetic force fields he creates to protect himself; have they ever shown him do this? He's supposed to be one of the most powerful beings on the planet, and they just show him moving metal around. He's also got that genius level intellect, but the writers continue to make him do dumb shit.

Couldn't he kill or disarm most people by fucking with the iron in their blood?

I do love what I've seen of Pete Holmes' Ex-Men YouTube series, where Xavier fires a bunch of the X-Men for various reasons. A great one is where he fires Wolverine because his adamantium skeleton makes him fucking useless against their most powerful enemy (Magneto). I haven't seen them all but most of the ones I've watched are pretty damned funny. I even liked the Gambit one where his mutant power is made fun of (and I love Gambit). Gambit is also played by the main, shy nerd in Silicon Valley. Frankly, I can almost see him in the part before Channing Tatum.

• Love 1
(edited)

It kind of bugs that the films really only choose to show his manipulating metal, when he's much more powerful. What about his manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum? Or the magnetic force fields he creates to protect himself; have they ever shown him do this? He's supposed to be one of the most powerful beings on the planet, and they just show him moving metal around. He's also got that genius level intellect, but the writers continue to make him do dumb shit.

It's even worse with Professor X IMO. He's so powerful that if he actually ever used his powers (and Cerebro) he could pretty much end all these conflicts before they even escalate. Seriously, there's only ONE helmet around (somehow). He could easily take over anybody near Magneto and take him out that way. So they go out of their way to incapacitate him (X1), kidnap him (X2), kill him off (X3) or have him powerless-getting used to powers again (DoFP). I mean the comics sort of have the same problem with him, in that he goes from insanely powerful to inexplicably not doing anything frequently, but just for once I wish the movies would let him show off in a final battle like Magneto gets to in every single movie (even when it doesn't make sense). 

Movie!Magneto is such a fucking drama queen/attention whore.

That is a very apt description. I mean look at that cape.

Edited by KatWay

I mean the comics sort of have the same problem with him, in that he goes from insanely powerful to inexplicably not doing anything frequently, but just for once I wish the movies would let him show off in a final battle like Magneto gets to in every single movie (even when it doesn't make sense).

I think the problem is that Xavier's powers are all about control/mind control. I get the idea behind him not really using his powers because I suspect he'd argue it's a slippery slope and it also negates free will. How easy would it be for him to control people and change them to suit his own purposes? I mean, sure, he's a good guy NOW, but if he starts relying on manipulating people instead of encouraging them to be better, how quickly will that spin out of control? It would be hypocritical of him to promote positive mutant/human integration if he's always in everyone's heads, tinkering around. Would it be faster? Yes. More effective? Yes. Ethical? No. And that's what separates him from Magneto.

He can kill everyone in the world with a focused thought...that's a lot of juice. Hell, I'm kind of surprised that he doesn't just kill himself because if someone managed to actually control him (like...X2?), he's the most dangerous weapon in the world.  I thought it was a nice touch in DOFP that the big bad was something that rendered Xavier useless: AI...no human brain(s) to manipulate/control.

But back to Magneto and Xavier...while I find their relationship very well acted and compelling, I find there is one major weak spot: Magneto and his inconsistent attitude towards Xavier's life. One minute he's going to kill him, the next he's in a rage at someone else trying to hurt him.

I sometimes find it difficult to accept Xavier's affection for/tolerance of Magneto when Magneto keeps hurting him or trying to kill him. :)  I find their relationship to be a bit unbalanced. I think that's why there was about 7 seconds of X3 that I liked: when Magneto brokenly cried out Charles' name when Jean disintegrated him.

It was nice to see them in this movie, two old men, united against a common enemy, putting their history behind them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the problem is that Xavier's powers are all about control/mind control. I get the idea behind him not really using his powers because I suspect he'd argue it's a slippery slope and it also negates free will. How easy would it be for him to control people and change them to suit his own purposes? I mean, sure, he's a good guy NOW, but if he starts relying on manipulating people instead of encouraging them to be better, how quickly will that spin out of control? It would be hypocritical of him to promote positive mutant/human integration if he's always in everyone's heads, tinkering around. Would it be faster? Yes. More effective? Yes. Ethical? No. And that's what separates him from Magneto.

The movie version of Charles is much less concerned with the ethics of controlling the minds of others than the comics version ever was, as far as I can remember. I don't believe book-Charles would ever have supplanted the will of another even to stop Magneto, but movie-Charles just turns the members of the Brotherhood into meat puppets the first chance he gets. (Even "freezing" people between one thought and the next seems kind of suspect to me, suspending all thought processes for the sake of movie exposition.) The ethics of mental manipulation become a plot thread in the story of Jean's transformation into the Dark Phoenix; Charles cautions her against influencing people (as she does almost immediately with Kitty Pryde's father, to make him more open to meeting the X-gang for the first time). Charles is shocked that Jean brushes his concern aside.

Yes, yes, Erik. Your magnetic peen is bigger than everyone's.

This will never not be hilarious.

Edited by Sandman
I do love what I've seen of Pete Holmes' Ex-Men YouTube series, where Xavier fires a bunch of the X-Men for various reasons. A great one is where he fires Wolverine because his adamantium skeleton makes him fucking useless against their most powerful enemy (Magneto). I haven't seen them all but most of the ones I've watched are pretty damned funny. I even liked the Gambit one where his mutant power is made fun of (and I love Gambit). Gambit is also played by the main, shy nerd in Silicon Valley. Frankly, I can almost see him in the part before Channing Tatum.

Oh thanks for sharing! I watched the Wolverine and Gambit ones, and they are indeed hilarious.

The movie version of Charles is much less concerned with the ethics of controlling the minds of others than the comics version ever was, as far as I can remember. I don't believe book-Charles would ever have supplanted the will of another even to stop Magneto, but movie-Charles just turns the members of the Brotherhood into meat puppets the first chance he gets.

Now I'm trying to remember...has Charles ever taken over a human? I know he's jumped into many mutants' minds, but I can't recall him doing that to a human. Does he draw the line at that to make sure that humans don't fear him?

I'm a little surprised that he didn't intervene when the Sentinel program was started. By the time we catch up with the Sentinels, it's too late and they are AI (and thus beyond his influence). But back in the day, he could have jumped into the developers' minds and moved them off that path.

I get that he wants people to freely choose integration over destruction but we're talking flat out genocide. Wouldn't he have had a moral obligation to step in and prevent that?

Also, there were no parts of the Sentinels which were metal? (my memory is shit)

Now I'm trying to remember...has Charles ever taken over a human? I know he's jumped into many mutants' minds, but I can't recall him doing that to a human.

He does it all the time, basically. He used a couple of humans to talk to Mystique and he froze a bunch of people at the CIA headquarters in First Class, then changed Platt's mind to get him to go in the car with them. In the trilogy he seems more cautious, but he also freezes people all the time, whenever it's convenient for plot purposes. Then other times he doesn't do it, presumably also for plot convenience's sake.

Now I'm trying to remember...has Charles ever taken over a human? I know he's jumped into many mutants' minds, but I can't recall him doing that to a human. Does he draw the line at that to make sure that humans don't fear him?

Early X-Men Charles used to mind-wipe and mentally block people on a regular basis in the comics. It was a fairly common occurrence that the X-Men would get into a great big public fight, defeat the enemy and the Charles would mind-wipe every innocent bystander in order to 'preserve the secret of the X-Men.' I think when Claremont took over is when Charles really started to live by certain ethics regarding his powers.

That being said, he's had his moments. One of the biggest events in the 90s was... Fatal Attractions, I believe. Where the X-Men needed to take the fight to Magneto. Again. He'd been out of commission since they split up the X-books into Uncanny and Adjectiveless and Fatal Attractions came about... maybe two years later. Magnus had basically gone insane again or whatever... I'd have to dig into it and find out what the deal was. I know he crashed Illyana's funeral (and got Piotr/Colossus to switch sides... Piotr was something of a mess since Illyana was his sister and all that.) Anyway, the big moments of that particular cross over was Magneto finally having enough of Logan and ripping the adamantium out of his skeleton and Xavier deciding that that was the absolute last straw and completely mind-wiped Magneto as a result.

Charles has gone through some shit in the comics since then. There was Onslaught, which was a result of Charles mind-wiping Erik and their personalities meshing into a Big Bad Awful. I know he went through some crap after I stopped reading for awhile. Charles is currently dead because Scott killed him when possessed by the Phoenix Force (Marvel writers do not know how to write the Phoenix, says I... Avengers vs X-Men which resulted in the Phoenix 5 and Scott winding up going crazy when he collected all of the fragments from the others was... well, it was shite.)

The next Uncanny is supposed to start a 'Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier' story that leads into a major AXIS cross over (the Red Skull has stolen dead Charles' brain and is using it to be a more complete bastard than ever before) so Charles' mental capacities remain important to the universe at large even if the man himself is dead.

ell, I'm kind of surprised that he doesn't just kill himself because if someone managed to actually control him (like...X2?), he's the most dangerous weapon in the world.

Death means nothing in the comics. Comic books and soap operas have a Revolving Door of Death. And, like I say, being dead didn't keep the Red Skull from stealing Xavier's brain and implant it in himself in order to use the mental abilities of Charles to increase anti-mutant sentiment and... you know, comics are the only reason I can even type a sentence like that.

(edited)

And, like I say, being dead didn't keep the Red Skull from stealing Xavier's brain

But if there's no body, his 'brain' is safe from others, no? For instance, Jean's disintegration of Charles in X3 would be pretty hard to come back from. :)

Early X-Men Charles used to mind-wipe and mentally block people on a regular basis in the comics. It was a fairly common occurrence that the X-Men would get into a great big public fight, defeat the enemy and the Charles would mind-wipe every innocent bystander in order to 'preserve the secret of the X-Men.' I think when Claremont took over is when Charles really started to live by certain ethics regarding his powers.

Sorry...I was specifically asking about the movie series Xavier.

Edited by NoWillToResist

Sorry...I was specifically asking about the movie series Xavier.

Well, he froze everyone in an early scene in X-2. I'm trying to remember anything that Charles particularly did with his telepathy in the first movie... other than talk in people's heads. He seemed to have more than a little fun with Logan when they first got him to the school. "Over here... follow me... this way!" As Logan sniffs the air and runs around in sweatpants.

I think one of the problems with Charles' power is that it's not very... theatrical. I mean, when it comes down to it, most of the characters have powers that really just require them to pose dramatically. Fassbender joked about his jazz hands and constipated look to portray Magneto using his powers. And McAvoy termed his move as 'fingering myself.' There's really not a whole hell of a lot you can do with telepathy as a power unless you commit to battles on the astral plane... which would actually be really cool to portray but Xavier's never gone up against another telepath in the movies. (I honestly don't know what Phoenix was supposed to be in X3. All she did was stare at people and they'd disintegrate. And when she 'killed' Charles, all they did there was stare at each other until he discorporated.)

Having Charles take over people's minds and speak through them the way he did in DOFP was actually, I thought, a pretty good way for him to use his power. He was stuck and couldn't get to where he could confront Erik or Mystique himself so he had to come up with another way. And it is still younger Xavier so I can buy that he's not put the strict code of conduct regarding telepathic ethics on himself yet.

Well, he froze everyone in an early scene in X-2. I'm trying to remember anything that Charles particularly did with his telepathy in the first movie... other than talk in people's heads. He seemed to have more than a little fun with Logan when they first got him to the school. "Over here... follow me... this way!" As Logan sniffs the air and runs around in sweatpants.

And it is still younger Xavier so I can buy that he's not put the strict code of conduct regarding telepathic ethics on himself yet.

He's mentally whispering in Logan's ear during their game of hide-and-seek, right? I never thought there was any degree of compulsion there -- but now I wonder. 

I can buy the younger Xavier discovering an ethical code for himself in using his powers. Especially given the end of First Class; I think it's made fairly explicit that Charles held Shaw in a psychic grip that made it impossible for him to escape being "nickeled and dimed to death" by Erik -- but it's also implied that Charles experienced Shaw's death along with him on some level. I could see that kind of experience leading to Charles's reconsideration how (and if) he can he use his powers ethically.

• Love 2

t's also implied that Charles experienced Shaw's death along with him on some level. I could see that kind of experience leading to Charles's reconsideration how (and if) he can he use his powers ethically.

I can also believe that experiencing a 'psychic death' would be a decent compulsion for Charles to take Hank's formula that gives him the ability to walk and the inability to use said mutant powers. I rather like the concept of young, jaded Charles. For one thing, it gave us that rather beautiful scene between Stewart and McAvoy. "We need you to hope again." And, after all, Charles was also rather rusty at using his powers in DOFP, so his methods were probably born from that as well.

First Class, to me, was a tragic love story between Charles and Erik. Erik, so damaged and scarred from his youth, with his 'peace was never an option' and Charles, idealistic about the promise of what mutants could do together. To have it all go so horribly bad, not just with Shaw leading the way with his 'we must rule' concept and having some of Charles' recruits by into that after the way they felt they were treated by the CIA, particularly after Shaw attacked... and then to have Erik go that way as well...

Charles' Dream is absolutely idealistic but it's a noble dream and I like that they show him as fallible AND wavering in the belief of his own ideals. Erik never wavers which can be considered something of a weakness. He doesn't consider the idea that peace may very well BE an option and Lord, his tenacious beliefs cause all sorts of problems in DOFP. Charles turned his back on all of it after First Class and had to come back to the Dream. I did rather like that take on it.

• Love 4

I just saw this and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is--it really exceeded my expectations. Much, much better than First Class, which was IMO way overhyped. I'm still pissed on principle that they had to take Kitty's role and give it totally to Logan, but this movie was less The Wolverine Show than I thought it would be (nothing against Jackman, who's perfect in the role and was very good here, but). I appreciate that the focal characters were Xavier and Mystique, who are IMO two of the X-universe's more interesting characters. (I've never been particularly interested in Fassbender's Magneto; he's a good actor, but his Magneto is really just a crazy serial killer, and lacks the grandeur McKellen brought to older Magneto.) McAvoy really carried the movie and was up to the task; I loved his scene with Stewart and the Charles/Raven relationship. Also, what a good way to reboot the timeline. Now, they don't have to, but they COULD do movies set in both the past and the present, with the original cast; and if they choose not to go into the "present" again, we at least got that last scene for closure, to right the wrongs of X3. Though holy crap, Jean's hair was a crazy shade of red! I'm sure it was supposed to indicate that nu!Jean has managed to integrate the Phoenix and not be crazy, but still, that was some crazy hair.

I actually totally want to see more of the dystopian future, like an Empire Strikes Back movie where the world really loses to the Sentinels. The Sunspot/Bishop/Blink/Warpath/Bobby/Kitty/Colossus group seemed so cool! I'd be interested in seeing more on them. And somewhat surprisingly, I thought Ashmore and Page really sold the Bobby/Kitty thing with just a few looks--Kitty's face when she watched him die was, for me, one of the movie's more touching moments. And I *hate* Colossus, so if bringing in Gambit means they might break up Bobby/Rogue for Bobby/Kitty and dispose of Piotr, I'm all about that.

I agree that Quicksilver stuff was fine but felt a little too fan boyish. His powers were cool, but the kitchen scene went a little too long and to just totally drop him afterward seemed weird.

• Love 1
Though holy crap, Jean's hair was a crazy shade of red!

Agreed, it was Kool-Aid red.

Her hair isn't even that red in the comics, which is saying something. And given that she was wearing a red suit as well I was like 'does Jean dye her hair to match her outfits?' It was crazy crazy red, absolutely.

Her hair isn't even that red in the comics, which is saying something. And given that she was wearing a red suit as well I was like 'does Jean dye her hair to match her outfits?' It was crazy crazy red, absolutely.

I CRACKED up when I saw that.   And I'm a Jean fan but good lord that was way too red. 

If they manage to get the series off the ground going forward I really hope they put the Phoenix in a story coffin.  I don't want to see, hear or see forshadowing of that particular story point.   I became a Jean fan when she was sans Phoenix and I actually found her character brought a lot to the franchise.    She can be very temperamental, childish and naive and I like that she can't double as a Ninja (she's about the level of hair-pulling or maybe a level above in terms of physical violence).    And I can think of quite a few humorous/interesting interactions she's had through the years that had absolutely NOTHING to do with Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost or Storm.

I hope this character get's a chance.

• Love 1

I think the rights to X-Men revert back to Marvel if Fox doesn't churn out a new movie every few years. Maybe re-releasing it gives them a little extra time to plan on where to go next with mutantkind, or it could be a sign of Fox thinking bigger and wanting to have breathing room to build their own F(ox)MCUverse. With the Fantastic Four coming out and Marvel Comics allegedly phasing out/scaling down their Fox owned property's comic books, maybe Fox is busy in the studio war room, plotting to topple the MCU's claim on the best franchise integration.

Even after Apocalypse they apparently have another Wolverine movie planned. Days of Future Past did so well at the box office that there's no chance of Fox letting the rights go anytime soon. Which is fine by me. I like the Marvel movies a lot, but I don't necessarily think they should get the rights to the properties they sold. Days of Future Past is better than most of the MCU anyway, so I don't mind the movies staying at Fox as long as they at least try to move away from Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier after Apocalypse.

Presumably they'll have to move on from Magneto and Xavier and Mystique in any case because those actors are going to need to be convinced to sign another contract.

Re-releasing the movie next year does seem odd. But I recall Fox re-released ALIEN in 2003 when they did "the director's cut" / Alien Quadrilogy DVD boxset. 

Is there a new Xmen blu-ray set coming next year?

Edited by King of Birds

Yes, but not everyone got a chance to see Alien in theaters. Alien was over 20 or 25 years at that point. Who wants to go to the theater and see some rehash of a movie a year after it came out and is readily available on DVD?

And ugh! More Wolverine. I suppose I do like it when studios make it easy to pass. :)