Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: Season 21 Premiere

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

$8K??? Yikes!  It's so funny how things have changed over the seasons.   I never remember the bachelor's name, but in the season where Helene was the winner I recall people on TWOP posting that they saw Helene's final rose ceremony dress in a Victoria's Secret catalog.

Season 2. Bachelor Aaron Buerge. Helene. the winner. Dumped by him inside a Starbucks store in NY 2 months after the last episode aired.

On 03/01/2017 at 2:22 AM, Madding crowd said:

I think it is likely producer influenced for some unknown reason. I stand firm on my belief that the show provides all of the evening gowns and bikinis and the girls bring the rest. I know people say this isn't true

This is an old example but Lesley Murphy (Sean Lowe) wore a dress that she'd worn in Instagram photos several months earlier, and I happened to notice that incidentally. If someone actually made a project out of looking for their dresses in earlier photos, I'm sure they'd find some. And it's no coincidence that the nicest dresses are often worn by the girls who come from money.

Obviously the producers do not provide bikinis. We can see this clearly on The Bachelor 19, Chris season, where Jillian had her butt black striped all time because of her string bikini.

9 minutes ago, Caravaggio said:

Season 2. Bachelor Aaron Buerge. Helene. the winner. Dumped by him inside a Starbucks store in NY 2 months after the last episode aired.

Really???  Geez, I never heard that! Thanks for the scoop (at least it's a scoop for me) :)

Edited by ByTor

I felt sure they must buy their own dresses the year Jojo was one of the group.  Her gowns made everyone else's look like they came off the rack from Penny's after prom sale.  I didn't know they didn't have a work-out room though.  It would give them something to do while waiting around for dates and ceremonies.  I guess they could take a tip from Chad and bring jugs of protein powder to lift.

• Love 7

Some of JoJo's dresses were to die for, not that she looks bad in anything. And they definitely bring their own clothes, dresses included, except for the final rose ceremony gowns. Those usually look the worst anyway, since they rarely even suit the women.

I love me some Nick. I mean I probably wouldn't want to date him myself, but I think he's a decent guy, more intelligent than most and entertaining in his snarkiness and frankness. I love that he's attracted to confident successful women (though Kaitlyn...) and actually seems interested in getting to know these people. Has any Bachelor ever asked that many questions about the women's jobs? He didn't just ask what they do and then go "Oh cool" and change the subject. He kept asking follow-up questions about their area of expertise and whether they like what they do. I've always liked him, yet I was still impressed. I also loved that he wanted to get to the bottom of why Liz was there after already turning him down 9 months earlier. It's pretty obvious what sparked her interest, no matter what she says. Nick's been on these shows enough times to know what's what.

I also hope they stop underlining the idea that Nick was a villain before his "redemption" on BIP. I'm sure there are plenty of people who bought into the villanous edit on Andi's season, but I can't even begin to see what he did wrong on Kaitlyn's season except dared to show up. I didn't think he did anything wrong on Andi's season either, he just made those mimbos insecure, so they harped on everything he did, which made them look like a bunch of idiots. The only half-villanous thing was "outing" Andi, but that was much ado about nothing as well considering how strongly the sex was insinuated on the show. So cut it out, show, he's the most innocent villain you've ever had. I thought it was totally uncalled for of Sean to say people saw Nick as a "huge toolbag". Speak for yourself, Sean, I never did. You, however, were always a tool in my eyes and it's only gotten worse over time.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

JoJo did fill out a dress! I wonder if the guys even notice what the woman is wearing They always say " you look nice" but unless there is cleavage they probably don't care.

I think the color might have an impression on some guys.   I would bet that the women on this season were told that Nicks' favorite color was  red.

Between having to purchase thousands of dollars worth of clothes, taking several months off work (for those who had jobs in the first place), and not getting compensated for appearing on the show, how can anyone who's not independently wealthy afford go on the Bachelor? There are some obvious trust fund babies like Corinne, but what about all the nurses and teachers?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

But then think of all the Instagram shilling you can do if you have a chance to be on Bachelor in Paradise. Earning 30 to 40k per month without actually having any discernable talent or skill set. It's amazing. They don't even have to take nice photos like the actual Instagram celebrities who put in more effort for their photos. Look at Jade's Instagram, it's so ugly. The ticket though is not only to be on the Bachelor but to earn a spot on BiP.

I like Nick but there's 0 chance he would marry anyone he meets on this show. I don't get the feeling that he's ready to settle down at all. But since I'm a wrong reasons watcher and Nick doesn't take himself too seriously, I'm in. 

And Sean, way to lack self awareness by calling someone else a toolbag. You're a greater toolbag than Juan Pablo and Chris combined. Speaking of Chris, he was so wrong to be a Bachelor but I would love to see him on BIP. He's such a hilarious trainwreck.

• Love 3

I don't see why Nick wouldn't want to settle down, or at least find the person to eventually settle down with. He's 36 already, comes from a huge close-knit family and wants his own, has been in love several times before, even engaged once, and tried to propose to two women on TV already. Sharleen from Juan Pablo's season, who's been friends with Nick since after Andi's season, has said several times that Nick really does believe this can work out for him. I can kind of see why, since IMO he did genuinely fall in love with Andi, so he knows it can happen. If his perfect person is in this group of women, then I don't see why he wouldn't try to hang on to her. Sure, he's been hanging around in LA doing this and that while single and free to do what he fancies, and is probably hoping to do DWTS, but I'm not at all convinced that he's planning to stay there for life. Nick may like attention, but he's not stupid, so I'm sure he knows he's already extended his 15 minutes. I feel like people are judging Nick based on his actions as a single man (not out of choice), while we have little idea how he is once in a relationship.

10 hours ago, MsPH said:

He didn't just ask what they do and then go "Oh cool" and change the subject. He kept asking follow-up questions about their area of expertise and whether they like what they do.

If I didn't love him already, that would have done it for me. He is actually interested in the women he's meeting. That makes me think that, yes, if he does meet the right one, he will marry her (probably on TV but whatever) but if he doesn't, I don't think he's going to fake it. Either way I do hope, as much as I love watching him, that this is his last gig on this franchise. It's time to get out. I hope he does find whatever it is he is looking for because I genuinely like him as a person, which is more than I can say for most of them.

• Love 1

Does the show ever address his prematurely spilling the beans and spoiling the ending on the plane coming home from the taping for FRC for Andi's season? I always thought this was the biggest dumbest nail in his villain coffin but it's forgotten now? Still not interested in watching (too much Netflix to catch up on instead) and Mr MML can't stand him, but would love it if the b'ettes took to social media to do the same.

How did that make him a villain? Nick has addressed that the producers weren't thrilled but this was legitimately one of those fluke incidents and an accident. He was speaking to his parents, didn't know he was being filmed and never mentioned the show. Yes he mentioned Andi and Josh and once the person sent Reality Steve the video, it confirmed that was what he was talking about. But it wasn't like he was Kaitlyn who stupidly sent a Snap to all her followers of her and Shawn in bed while the season was airing. 

Sure, he's been hanging around in LA doing this and that while single and free to do what he fancies, and is probably hoping to do DWTS, but I'm not at all convinced that he's planning to stay there for life.

In a lot of his media interviews this past week, people noticed he's been referring to living in LA in the past tense. As in, "when I was living in LA"or "when I lived in LA". He's also made reference to having his own business without going into detail. Considering the stuff he was doing before with Salesforce, I can see it being some kind of consultancy thing. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I always watch the first episode because I like to check out the desperate, pathetic losers......I mean "contestants." Anything that I thought, has already been said here so not much to add. Except....

• Girl In Eye Catching Costume? You're A SHARK...NOT A DOLPHIN. Pick up a book sometime.
  • One poster mentioned the abundance of huge foreheads. Perhaps it's time to consider bangs?
  • Nick is a douche who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Why would ANYONE be interested in him at all? Oh yeah...because it gives you a chance to be on TV and we all know, that's all that matters.
  • Instead of this nonsense where one woman will come along and "steal" him, i.e. rudely interrupt a conversation with another woman, why don't they just allow every woman a set length of time to talk to him?
  • All that drinking on an empty stomach? I know they start plying them with liquor, the minute they step into the limo and of course once they get to the house, it continues but why no food? I never see any food at all! Not even a tray of cheese and crackers. I'd feel pretty crappy doing all that boozing without anything in my stomach.
On January 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM, dom16 said:

I think their need to humiliate and degrade these women by providing them with unlimited food and no workout equipment in an environment where they're automatically going to compare themselves to everyone else outweighs their need for everyone to be as hot as possible. That way they get vulnerable and insecure contestants who are easier to manipulate. 

Plus, the endless booze! More than anything else, that will help pack on lbs or bloat. Especially when there's nothing else to do. 

I hadn't actually thought about it before, but you're right that putting on weight while competing in this kind of environment probably ups insecurity factor by a ton. 

I don't think Arie was replaced by Chris. I think the producers were torn between them and didn't make a decision until the the last minute. But I don't think it was a case like this season where Luke was all but a done deal and then they switched to Nick. Chris was being teased and thrown out as a possibility for the lead the minute he was eliminated at F3 and the MTA was like an audition to gauge the audience reaction to him. Arie's name floating around was the surprise as I remember correctly. The rumor was the producers weren't sure Chris was interesting enough to carry a season (they should have gone with their gut on that one) but weren't completely sold on Arie either since it had been awhile since he'd been on the show. 

I never saw Arie, but I can't imagine that Chris Soules is more interesting of a personality than  anyone, so I'm betting Arie was the better choice. 

OTOH, I find Chris Soules mildly entertaining in a group setting and wouldn't mind seeing him on BiP. He's kind of an affable doof and has that crazy dolphin laugh. Maybe they can put him and Shark who thinks she's a dolphin on BiP together and they can communicate in dolphin language. 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2017 at 7:58 AM, catrice2 said:

I know!  When I found this out on the boards last year I was blown away, until I found out they MORE than make up for it on social media and bar appearances! 

I still never understand how you can make that MUCH from Instagram shilling - Jade and Tanner reportedly made $1M just from doing that. But maybe that's why I'm not rich. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

I always watch the first episode because I like to check out the desperate, pathetic losers......I mean "contestants." Anything that I thought, has already been said here so not much to add. Except....

• Girl In Eye Catching Costume? You're A SHARK...NOT A DOLPHIN. Pick up a book sometime.
  • One poster mentioned the abundance of huge foreheads. Perhaps it's time to consider bangs?
  • Nick is a douche who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Why would ANYONE be interested in him at all? Oh yeah...because it gives you a chance to be on TV and we all know, that's all that matters.
  • Instead of this nonsense where one woman will come along and "steal" him, i.e. rudely interrupt a conversation with another woman, why don't they just allow every woman a set length of time to talk to him?
  • All that drinking on an empty stomach? I know they start plying them with liquor, the minute they step into the limo and of course once they get to the house, it continues but why no food? I never see any food at all! Not even a tray of cheese and crackers. I'd feel pretty crappy doing all that boozing without anything in my stomach.

My guess is that it makes too much sense for them to allot a certain amount of time.  Besides this way they get to obsess about who he likes better, who he spent more time with, who got no time at all, and start to dislike each other based upon how much they are interrupted.  In short, instead of being logical having them "fight" for his attention on the first night is more entertaining, as well as creating drama between the women.   God forbid everyone have an equal chance the first night. 

Don't know about the foreheads, but I am watching tonight and now that  you have mentioned it  that is probably what I will shallowly focus on! 

Yes, but they have the choice to not drink, especially if they know they need food. I'm sure most of them have seen the show before and know they don't give you food. I would sneak something in my handbag....or do they even have handbags when the come in for the first time?  Is that even allowed? 

• Love 1

An entertaining first night as always!

I don't follow this show loyally and usually only tune in when a lead seems interesting. Ben Higgins and Brad 2.0 have been my favorite Bachelor seasons so far. I didn't watch Chris Soules season because I really really wanted Ari from Emily's season to be crowned The Bachelor. Is it just me or does both Chris and Sean seem asshole-ish? 

Josephine reminds me of Jacqueline (sp?) from Ben Flapjack's season.

What was up with the red dress overload? Was that producer-driven? Dumb dumb dumb, if so.

Rachel, Taylor, Vanessa & Raven are my favorite contestants thus far. Poor Taylor should have opened with something different than telling him that her friends think he sucks.

NIck actually comes off slightly douche to me. However, he has sweet moments and I think he is a romantic at heart, so i'm pretty stoked for this season. I don't get the Villain edit he received in season's past. Though my first encounter with him was on Kaitlyn's season, not Andi's.

Liz is totally "wrong reasons" girl (though in reality, aren't they all?). I was surprised she got a rose and wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't last but another week or two.

Looks like we are in for a fairly good season!

Edited by MissScarlett
13 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

Instead of this nonsense where one woman will come along and "steal" him, i.e. rudely interrupt a conversation with another woman, why don't they just allow every woman a set length of time to talk to him?

Everyone "loosens up" with the more alcohol they consume so it's I think made to bring the jovial side to proceedings. Or it's just to create drama. Okay, yeah, it's just to create drama.

• Love 1

Given that red is an inherently attention-grabbing colour, and that a woman in red will usually stand out in a crowd because not that many people are usually prepared to draw that much attention to themselves, I'm sort of surprised if this is really the first time that so many women have picked red dresses. Because under normal circumstances, the logic makes sense: "I don't want to wear a little black dress like everyone else because I want to stand out... I know: Red!" If anything, it's more surprising to me that there hasn't been a premiere where all but, like, one showed up in red, and the one in basic black ends up being the standout as a result.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:41 AM, P2C2E said:

Corrinne has been nicknamed "jailbait" in this house because if she has a nanny she's clearly underage. Danielle L is "boobs out for Harambe". Josephine is "slutty nurse" which is solely based off of that brief shot where I swear she was wearing a Halloween outfit and looked nothing like a legitimate nurse. In contrast, Danielle M was wearing actual scrubs.

Josephine reminds me of a young pre-multiple plastic surgeries Kim Zolciak.  Also a slutty nurse.  

The vocal fry on these women, especially the 31 year old Danielle.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, MissScarlett said:

What was up with the red dress overload? Was that producer-driven?

Someone on this forum (sorry, I don't remember who!) suggested that maybe the ladies were told red is Nick's favorite color.  I don't know what his favorite color actually is, but I thought this was a good theory.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, MsPH said:

Some of JoJo's dresses were to die for, not that she looks bad in anything. And they definitely bring their own clothes, dresses included, except for the final rose ceremony gowns. Those usually look the worst anyway, since they rarely even suit the women

You know what would really suck?  to spend a ton of money on evening gowns for the show, to wear at the rose ceremonies, and then be eliminated in the first week.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, backformore said:

You know what would really suck?  to spend a ton of money on evening gowns for the show, to wear at the rose ceremonies, and then be eliminated in the first week.

If you leave the tags on and never wear the garment most stores will let you return it for a refund within a 60 or 90-day period.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:38 PM, MsPH said:

Some of JoJo's dresses were to die for, not that she looks bad in anything. And they definitely bring their own clothes, dresses included, except for the final rose ceremony gowns. Those usually look the worst anyway, since they rarely even suit the women.

Yes I remember Lauren's final dress being just kind of, "bleh". It was a royal blue sleeveless sort of sheath dress which was full length with a little train on the back if I remember right. Nothing really special about it at all and I hated the color. JoJo's on the other hand was stunning. It was like a dusty pink rose color with lots of lace detail and cut beautifully. Makes me wonder if she forgone the shows selection and brought her own. After all her parents were pretty wealthy.

8 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

Yes I remember Lauren's final dress being just kind of, "bleh". It was a royal blue sleeveless sort of sheath dress which was full length with a little train on the back if I remember right. Nothing really special about it at all and I hated the color. JoJo's on the other hand was stunning. It was like a dusty pink rose color with lots of lace detail and cut beautifully. Makes me wonder if she forgone the shows selection and brought her own. After all her parents were pretty wealthy.

I didn't like JoJo's dress at all, it was so ill-fitting. I think the original had a little strap across the chest, which they removed, probably because JoJo's bust wouldn't have fit in it otherwise. It made the edges of the neckline curl outwards, which just looked bad, not to mention it was a bit wedding dressy anyway. The show's stylist mentioned somewhere that they picked sparkly showy numbers for JoJo and simple and chic ones for Lauren, because those fit their own styles. These were the back up dresses, which I actually preferred: https://www.instagram.com/p/BC7G9OahsRD/?taken-by=caryfetman&hl=en

Anyway, back to Nick and his ladies. The first night dresses usually rival the horror of the final rose ceremony dresses. One that baffled me the most was Elizabeth W's dress, which looked like a wedding dress and a quick look at her IG told me that it was in fact from a bridal shop. Was she trying to do a Lindsay Yenter except so subtly that no one got the joke?

• Love 1

Wow, those back-up dresses are SO much prettier than the ones they ended up wearing!   JoJo's boobs weren't spilling out of this one, though, so of course she didn't wear it. But I guess when you pay enough for them you always want them to be on display.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I like JoJos but Lauren's looks like the slip that goes under the dress, or the muslin mock up. Glad she went with the blue. At least it looked like an actual, finished dress.

I agree but I didn't like the shade of blue. I think she would have looked better in a periwinkle blue (something like the dress she wore on the first night when meeting Ben) or as a blonde she would have looked good in any shade of red. She prefers simple chic designs granted but this was the final dress. Something with a little extra, "wow" would have been better. But that's just my opinion.

In response to others posters, JoJo did tend to go for the sparkly dresses but she wore them well and I don't think any of her looks were that "risque" or over the top. I think she has a very good sense of style. I still think her dress was beautiful. The plunging neckline in the back looked gorgeous on her. And her final dress on the B'ette was even better. The strapless Grecian cream colored dress was so spot on. It was extremely hot in Thailand and it looked so lightweight and cool but so pretty and feminine. And if she did have to wear the show's dresses I give her kudos for still finding something beautiful that fit her sense of style as I think her backup dress was stunning also. But like I said it's just a manner of opinion and everyone doesn't have the same taste.

Edited by yorklee2