Type keyword(s) to search

Season 14 Last Chance Kitchen

ProudMary
  • Start Topic

I simply cannot take LCK seriously as the rules change week to week and Tom is the sole judge.  It's just a way for the producers to manipulate the final outcome, drive web traffic and profit from more product placement.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I simply cannot take LCK seriously as the rules change week to week and Tom is the sole judge.  It's just a way for the producers to manipulate the final outcome, drive web traffic and profit from more product placement.

Which is the sole reason it was created. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jesse said:

Which reminds me -- am I the only person who thought Jim won his first LCK because he used the Sponsor Brand Ranch??

Now that you point it out - didn't he find the stuff Hidden in an obscure bRanch of the pantry?

• Love 3

LCK also seems to create confusion with the main season thread about when to use spoilers or not.

I agree it's inherently unfair for an otherwise excellent chef to be eliminated from TC based on a single performance, but LCK allows a chef to get back to the main event based solely on Tom's opinion of one very specific dish.

I guess I'm easily confused.

• Love 1

No, @spiderpig, you're not confused. This is how it is, Tom runs the show and picks who he wants to win. If his least favorite competitor cooked a knockout dish, I'd see him finding it had a smidgen too much salt or too little salt (Casey) in order to bounce them. That's why this may be my last season watching since it's become apparent this season that certain people are pre-ordained to win.

• Love 2

@cooksdelight, maybe we can create an online anti-LCK where we fly to, say - Kauai, and hold our own totally unbiased cookoff between the latest losers.  You can nominate a guest judge in case of a tie-breaker. We'll all have great meals and get to frolic on the beach.*

*this was an old gag with my Florida college pals. "I don't feel like going to class.  Let's go Frolic On The Beach."

• Love 3

WTF with LCK? They changed the rule to have 2 cheftestants standing?? Casey was ROBBED.  Everyone (including Tom) thought she had the better dish.  Whatever... LOL

ETA: I read previous comments, but I thought there were 2 LCK left ???

Edited by DarkRaichu
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

WTF with LCK? They changed the rule to have 2 cheftestants standing?? Casey was ROBBED.  Everyone (including Tom) thought she had the better dish.  Whatever... LOL

ETA: I read previous comments, but I thought there were 2 LCK left ???

They did the exact same thing last year with 2 chefs going through.

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I'm confused. Casey continues in LCK.

I meant earlier in LCK the winner alone went through to the next round. She had winning dish but she would still need to face Jaime in addition to whoever next PYKAG chef in the next LCK.  

However, as pointed above, my point was moot as they did the same thing last season as well. 

I didn't watch last week's LCK, but in the one posted tonight it's just Casey and Brooke competing. Jamie is in the peanut gallery.

edited to add: Now I see they posted two episodes tonight. The first was Jamie vs Casey vs Brooke, the second was Casey vs Brooke. No final winner reveal, of course.

Edited by Michichick

No final winner reveal, of course.

In the preview for next week's episode, there is a shot where the winner of LCK is clearly identifiable in the background. So if you want to know, just give it a semi-close watch. (And if you don't, avoid it!) I wasn't trying to see who won but when the preview started playing at the  end of the Casey v. Brooke LCK episode, it was right there in my face.

Edited by hendersonrocks
2 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

In the preview for next week's episode, there is a shot where the winner of LCK is clearly identifiable in the background. So if you want to know, just give it a semi-close watch.

When, please

3 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

In the preview for next week's episode, there is a shot where the winner of LCK is clearly identifiable in the background. So if you want to know, just give it a semi-close watch. (And if you don't, avoid it!) I wasn't trying to see who won but when the preview started playing at the  end of the Casey v. Brooke LCK episode, it was right there in my face.

I think that was Emily...who was working as a sous chef for Sheldon...all three are blonde

The preview cut off before I got a glimpse who it might be.  Where are you seeing her?  Judging by the dishes they made I say it will be Brook. Casey said she added romaine to her sauce for some bitter. I think when she tasted it she did not expect it to be as bitter as it was. Just a hunch. 

Please God let Brooke win LCK.  Casey is not nor has she have ever been anywhere near the same caliber of chef as those that remain & I totally include John in this assessment.  But really it's her bitchy & entitled talking heads that are putting me off.  I could've lived Jaime beating Brooke, but not Casey.

• Love 2

Ah Ha. It is Brooke that we see to Sheldon's left with her back to the camera as he is serving Blais.  Definitely her pony tail worn the same way she did when eliminated.  When they show Shirley at her station you can see Sheldon to her right on the left of the screen.  You get an idea of the layout.  cool! 

1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

I saw that too, BUT.................I also saw (the back of) Silva, so I think we may have seen sou chefs, rather than a returnee from LCK.  No way to really tell.  Either way, it was not great editing.  Loved the look on Sheldon's face in the intro to next week's episode, when he says "we're going to cook it, too".  I love that guy, he's so sweet, kind, and even keeled.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Ah Ha. It is Brooke that we see to Sheldon's left with her back to the camera as he is serving Blais.  Definitely her pony tail worn the same way she did when eliminated.  When they show Shirley at her station you can see Sheldon to her right on the left of the screen.  You get an idea of the layout.  cool! 

I thought it was Brooke too. I guess we will see next week. 

I think Emily could potentially be a great sous chef; she has skills, she's just a basket case in competition.  So she might be really good, with the pressure off, keeping her head down and helping someone else shine -- it would be nice redemption for her to help the winner, but so much about Sheldon that she doesn't feel the pressure enough to freak herself out.  Or she could be a total clusterfuck.  We'll see.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, chiaros said:

Here's a screen capture of the moment before the "pony-tailed" person turns away as Sheldon is serving Blais.

589d56a05bd40_ScreenShot2017-02-10at12_56_04AM.thumb.jpg.bb7f9051b47585659dda6d4d11569c68.jpg

Nope, that is not Brooke.

I thought I saw Brooke in next week's preview, too!  However--unlike the 1.18 min Bravo clip above--the preview that aired only included about 3 seconds of that particular event.  So all we got was a quick shot of a ponytailed chef (back to the camera) working behind Sheldon.  That *unmistakable* shot of Emily's face was nowhere to be seen!  Anyway... mystery solved.  :)

Thanks for the screen cap @chiaros.

Now let me reel you in @spiderpig and @cooksdelight.  Breathe through your nose.  This is a damn good reality show, it my favorite.  Sure it is flawed and this season wasn't great mixing old and new.  

It is the best and only serious cooking competition on that is educational and has real working chefs competing.  I have picked up a lot of tips and made many of the recipes they used to post on the site.  I wish they still did; I miss the blogs, too.  

It is TV and entertainment is Bravo's main focus so we get some silly shit in some of the challenges.  This show operates with more integrity than most or I can say ALL the others.   Bachelor, 90 Day Fiancé and Real Housewives to name 3.  

I like LCK on a good season. All chefs make a bad dish on occasion and it gives them a chance redeem themselves.  When Tom is faced with 2 good dishes, of course he considers the entire body of work the chef has done and moves the better of the 2 forward.  He is the head judge and has that authority. 

I like all the judges and have even come to appreciate Blais' judging style.  I don't see enough of my boyfriend Hugh, though. 

It has much more going for it than against.  So turn those frowns upside down and enjoy the finale with me!  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

It has much more going for it than against.  So turn those frowns upside down and enjoy the finale with me!  

But my natural face is permanently Grumpy Cat!!!

I agree that TC is the gold standard of competitive cooking shows, and I watch all that I can find.  I'm just annoyed that the two chefs in contention in LCK are ones who just put me off for some reason.

I will put on my big girl pants and stay tuned until the end, though. :-)

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

But my natural face is permanently Grumpy Cat!!!

I agree that TC is the gold standard of competitive cooking shows, and I watch all that I can find.  I'm just annoyed that the two chefs in contention in LCK are ones who just put me off for some reason.

I will put on my big girl pants and stay tuned until the end, though. :-)

Yeah. This season was lousy and I don't think they will do this again.  I am not fond of Shirley but I won't be too bummed if she wins. Rooting for Sheldon.  Is it me or do you sense the judges don't like Casey? 

ETA.  Happy to hear about your pants. :^) 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Yeah. This season was lousy and I don't think they will do this again.  I am not fond of Shirley but I won't be too bummed if she wins. Rooting for Sheldon.  Is it me or do you sense the judges don't like Casey? 

Casey comes across as high school mean girl.  Maybe that's why she's a private chef now.

She would be very attractive if she didn't have that permanently pinched look around her nose and mouth.  Maybe that's why Padma doesn't like her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I didn't know she was a private chef now.  She is haughty and righteous.  I don't think Tom likes her either. 

She was griping about losing her SF restaurant in an early ep (of course it was not her fault - bad partners) when she identified herself as doing private dining in Napa.  I Googled her like a good ptver, and found this:

"She currently works as the Executive Chef for the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe in the San Diego area and continues her private dining business in the Napa Valley."

Whatever floats her boat.  We're going to an event in Napa at the end of the month where we know the Executive Chef and (better yet) the support staff well.  I'll have to ask about her.

• Love 3

Yeah. This season was lousy and I don't think they will do this again.

They will do it again if the ratings are good. The new cheftestants did not have a lot of interesting stories or personalities and that did not help, but the returning ones had better stories, whether you personally liked them or not-I did but YMMV. Generally, the dancing elves have been able to cast interesting and top quality chefs to appear and hopefully they will be able to do better next time.

I am all on board for Brooke-it would be sweet redemption for her to come back from LCK after getting beaten by Kristen who came back from LCK (altho she never should have been eliminated-damn you Josie!)

• Love 2

I'm so proud of Tom for stopping himself from saying Brooke making a soup was "ballsy" (because I'm sure that's what his pause was about). Non-gendered compliments (and insults) FTW.

• Love 2

I really like LCK. Its elimination/QF combo is exciting, and it addresses the problem of "great chef, bad day" or "great chef/bad team" that was so frustrating in earlier seasons. Every chef in the finale will have competed in the same amount of elimination challenges (the LCK may have been in 1-2 more), so it's fair.  The only thing I would change is that the judging should be blind.  I get it that Tom C. has the last word, and that's fine. He just shouldn't explicitly know ahead of time who cooked what.  He probably would figure it out pretty easily, but it would level the playing field just a bit. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm already smiling for the finale because Sheldon and Shirley made it. I am rooting for both of them.

What are you guys seeing?? This is a spoiler thread, post whatever you know as I am lost!! LOL

Nothing going on other than seeing that Emily is Sheldon's sous chef and she looked like Brooke from the back so there was a flurry there for a sec until @chiaros posted a screen cap when she turned around exposing her true identity! 

Just speculation beyond that.  I feel certain Brooke is coming back.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, wings707 said:

@chiaros

@spiderpig@cooksdelight

I like all the judges and have even come to appreciate Blais' judging style.  I don't see enough of my boyfriend Hugh, though. 

+1,000,000

Hugh was the absolute BEST as a guest judge, he is wonderfully funny and entertaining....and his blogs were priceless.  (I'll say it again, Bravo missed the mark by downsizing their TC website...the extras (videos, blogs, recipes) really made being a fan SO much more fun).  Finding THIS site makes up for the lack of fan interaction on the TC site, but it was super fun when the blog writers would interact with the fans.  Stupid to remove them, IMO.

I also loved Emeril as a TC host/judge.  He is such a kind and lovely man.  Need more Emeril and Hugh!  I know many people don't like Tony Bourdain, but he was also a great addition, and Eric Ripert.....sigh.  Plus they all added super "value" when they were involved in designing challenges.  My all time favorite QF was in NYC, when the chefs were brought into the n'est plus ultra seafood restaurant, and told to filet as many fish as they could in fifteen minutes, after receiving instructions from the fish guy.  THOSE are the kinds of QF's I absolutely love.........learning experience for the home chef!

• Love 7

I adore Tony Bourdain! I have watched all of his shows on the travel channel.  I was sorry he didn't continue with his show The Taste.  I enjoyed that, especially the blind tasting aspect. 

I prefer cooking QFs.  They are my favorite part. 

38 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

My all time favorite QF was in NYC, when the chefs were brought into the n'est plus ultra seafood restaurant, and told to filet as many fish as they could in fifteen minutes, after receiving instructions from the fish guy. 

Le Bernardin.  When I was working as an executive concierge, our resident dining expert recommended it without hesitation as the best restaurant in Manhattan.  Of course I've never had the chance (or expense account) to eat there.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Le Bernardin.  When I was working as an executive concierge, our resident dining expert recommended it without hesitation as the best restaurant in Manhattan.  Of course I've never had the chance (or expense account) to eat there.

You should try lunch the three course prefixe in the lounge it is $55 with some of the proceeds going to City Harvest. Not cheap but not $150.

I will go wit Brooke coming back because Sheldon seemed hapypy. Of course it's Sheldon so he could just be being Sheldon.

Does anyone know how many eps are left?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, wings707 said:

I didn't know she was a private chef now.  She is haughty and righteous.  I don't think Tom likes her either. 

Her talking heads make me crazy - she always speaks as if everything she says is of great import but her grammar sucks! Here's a clue, Casey - "she and I" should only be used at the beginning of a sentence or a phrase, not after a preposition. If I hear her say. "Between she and I" one more time.....

• Love 4