Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Overmining

• Start Topic

Captain "CJ" is having major problems with a big case, and Jake and Holt find the motivation to help him out. Inside the precinct, war ensues when Terry enforces a green initiative and tells Gina to get rid of her precious space heater, while Rosa and Boyle take a break from the night shift to visit a foot massage parlor.

Man, I just love Ken Marino. Everything he said and did here was hilarious. 

And everything betw Holt and Peralta was fantastic.

Peralta: I'm trying to OVERmine him.
Holt: You know I hate it when you make up words, Peralta.
Peralta: Are you still mad for saying snacksident.
Holt: Yes. Very.

Loved every time Peralta said, "Ya boring."

Their rising exasperation with Capt Stanley's constant talking was great to watch, culminating in their explosion of "STOP TALKING! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" 

Yes, the cold open stare-off betw Jake and Charles was so funny. Then Charles could barely contain himself -- "Like YEAST!"

The foot massage thing was ok. My favorite part was when Rosa squirted Charles with water from her bottle and then just threw the bottle at him.

I did not like the Gina/Terry story. Gina reassuring Amy "I got this," or whatever she said made me feel a little better -- though it seemed more like reassurance to the audience -- but there's no way she anticipating Terry getting heaters for everyone and having the grossness of Hitchcock displayed before her. 

But there was enough Holt/Peralta/Capt Stanley for me to love this ep.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Loved the stare off over the Dianne Wiest infection......

Poor Boyle actually thought he had a chance...

They filmed it perfectly, going in for close-ups with precise timing.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Their rising exasperation with Capt Stanley's constant talking was great to watch, culminating in their explosion of "STOP TALKING! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" 

I loved how they filmed that scene with the split screen and overlapping voices so the audience could share the exasperation of Holt and Peralta!

Also, Capt. Stanley saying "That's going to leave a mark" in all the wrong contexts made me LOL.

• Love 13

"It's test time, DIAPER UP" made me cackle. Holy shit, that was SO Santiago. Along with the furious backpedaling immediately afterward that she never, in fact, wore a diaper. Sure, Amy, we believe you ;)

I love Ken Marino but I find Captain CJ a bit OTT incompetent. I don't know how he achieved the rank of captain at all if he couldn't even pass police academy in fewer than 9 years.

• Love 2

Loved Holt setting up the press conference. Hell, all the Holt-Peralta goodness. Especially enjoyed when Holt causally said "son" as he was dressing down Peralta, and he responsed "Dad" immediately.

Rosa and Charles were funny. I like that they get to the place of allowing the money-laundering continue, then, back at the precinct, realize they really do have to do their jobs. Way to be kids. You're not Scully and Hitchcock and don't ever forget it.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Especially enjoyed when Holt causally said "son" as he was dressing down Peralta, and he responsed "Dad" immediately.

And neither of them seemed to even notice or comment on it! I love Jake and Holt together so much. They're a really good team, and they crack me up. Of course Holt set up the press conference. Never underestimate Holt!

I normally like Gina, but I do get kind of fed up with her sometimes. I think she was bugging Terry so that he could get a win, but it really makes me wonder how she imagined all that going? She really planned on Terry letting everyone in the 99 get heaters, and that Hitchcock would be gross all over the place? Who is she, Patton? Batman? 

Nevertheless, still another really fun episode. I was losing it when Jake and Holt were screaming at Capt Stanley to shut up, and the guy was like "Are you cops?" and Jake is just like "Obviously we`re cops", while sounding super annoyed. Also, Jake when he is in cop mode with the SWAT team? Still very hot. If you told me before this show I would the Lonely Ocean guy this attractive...

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, Jake when he is in cop mode with the SWAT team? Still very hot. If you told me before this show I would the Lonely Ocean guy this attractive...

Definitely hot, also I think he had a new haircut this week. Oof. Lookin' good, Peralta!

• Love 7

That may have been the worst Gina has ever been. Typically I tolerate her, and occasionally she makes me laugh, but taking pride in being included in her kindergarten teacher's suicide note? And then all of the stuff with the space heaters... We've seen that Scully and Hitchcock can do good work, so I can sort of understand why they still have a job, but Gina seems to do nothing but make everyone else's lives miserable on a pretty regular basis.

Loved pretty much everything about the rest of the episode. Holt naming all of the NYT reporters was hilarious.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Rosa and Charles were funny. I like that they get to the place of allowing the money-laundering continue, then, back at the precinct, realize they really do have to do their jobs. Way to be kids. You're not Scully and Hitchcock and don't ever forget it.

At the start of the episode I thought that that plot might be too over the top, but then I ended up liking their grumbling about getting the stupid gun to do their stupid job best out of the whole episode, even though the A-plot with Jake and Holt was excellent.

39 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

That may have been the worst Gina has ever been. Typically I tolerate her, and occasionally she makes me laugh, but taking pride in being included in her kindergarten teacher's suicide note? And then all of the stuff with the space heaters... We've seen that Scully and Hitchcock can do good work, so I can sort of understand why they still have a job, but Gina seems to do nothing but make everyone else's lives miserable on a pretty regular basis.

Now Gina bragging about appearing in a suicide note was too much. And of course she also found time this week to lock up claustrophobic Amy even in the midst tormenting Terry for his own good.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, Jake when he is in cop mode with the SWAT team? Still very hot. If you told me before this show I would the Lonely Ocean guy this attractive...

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Definitely hot, also I think he had a new haircut this week. Oof. Lookin' good, Peralta!

I actually found myself kind of distracted by how handsome Andy Samberg was in this episode.

What is happening to me?!

(Though in all honesty it's been happening for the last several years.)

• Love 7

"Dianne Wiest infection"  Oh, Boyle.  Jake's face was the greatest thing ever.

I was wondering when they were going to bring CJ back and find some way to get the Nine-Nine back to the day shift.  I loved how it started out with Jake wanting to solve the case himself in order to make CJ look like a fool, but then after CJ said he was going to transfer, it then became about Jake trying to give him the credit!  And, of course, CJ just kept screwing things up, until he accidentally saves the day, and suddenly wants to stay.  Only to tank the press conference.  And it was all Holt's doing!  Love when Holt actually gets crafty.  But the best is him actually saying "overmining" and how much Jake loved it.  I'm glad CJ didn't stay for too long and overstay his welcome, but Ken Marino was a blast as always.

Rosa/Boyle's plot was simple, but fun.  I love how much they hated having to bust up the massage parlor at the end.  And it makes me so glad that they dropped the whole "Boyle had a creepy obsession with Rosa" plot from way back in season one, because those two are great together as friends.

Figured Gina was up to something by going so against Terry's green initiative.  The bit about her being proud to be name-checked on her teacher's suicide note, was surprisingly dark, even for her.  One of the rare times this show kind of went too far, I thought.  On the other hand, of course, Amy has a love for laminating!

• Love 3

I feel like the show has been landing great episodes for the past couple weeks. Mike Schur is the king of network comedies for me right now. I'd love to see him get some Emmy recognition for either B99 or the Good Place this year, as they've been my two most reliable network sitcoms.

The earpiece scene was fantastic editing and execution. I also liked how they rushed the crime fighting to get to the payoff with the press conference.

I also don't believe Gina foresaw how Terry would "solve" the problem, just that she knew he would eventually.

• Love 8

I don't think I've said this in five minutes, but I've never seen a tv show, needless a sitcom, handle a romance as well as B99 has handled Jake and Amy.  They gave it time to build, they didn't drag the coupling out too long, and now it's just part of the show.  It's not THE show and some eps, like this week, don't even address it.  It's just right.  I'm looking at YOU The Mindy Project, Scandal, New Girl, and every other show ever on TV.

• Love 23
On 12/7/2016 at 5:23 AM, Mama No Life said:

Loved the stare off over the Dianne Wiest infection......

It made me wonder if Chelsea Peretti pitched that joke, because I heard Nick Kroll (someone who she used to work with a lot) make a joke on a podcast at least 3 - 4 years ago saying he wanted to have a film festival called "Wiest Infection".

21 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

20 hours ago, bethy said:

I actually found myself kind of distracted by how handsome Andy Samberg was in this episode.

What is happening to me?!

(Though in all honesty it's been happening for the last several years.)

It's so shallow of me, but Andy Samberg is so attractive as Jake Peralta (I mean, he's also attractive as himself, but I digress).  That leather jacket in the cold open, and that smile?  SWOON.

I can't even describe the sound that came out of my mouth when I heard "It's test time, so diaper up!".  I laughed so hard my cat woke up from his nap.  I also loved this small moment between Jake and Holt:
"Your speech really inspired me"
"That was one of my better ones.  It felt really good as I was saying it."

I think I mentioned this in the first episode Ken Marino was in, but I wish there were more opportunities for he and Joe Lo Truglio to work together in the same scenes.  My little The State loving heart wants to see a mini-reunion!

• Love 1
On 12/7/2016 at 2:53 PM, Panopticon said:

Now Gina bragging about appearing in a suicide note was too much

It's almost like that line was in there just to give Terry a chance to make the face he made when she said that.

Because he nailed it.

• Love 1

It was Scully standing there shirtless in front of the space heater eating the sandwich while you could hear Terry asking Gina : "Is that sweat, or is it mayonnaise?" That got me laughing until I hurt.  Such a disgusting question!

20 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

"Your speech really inspired me"
"That was one of my better ones.  It felt really good as I was saying it."

Love Jake and Holt's relationship. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I love that older, age-appropriate women appeal to Boyle. I'm pretty sure he mentioned admiring another actress once, can't remember which one, though. 

Funnily enough, I was watching some old episodes yesterday and watched "House Mouses" (the episode where Holt and Boyle work the "celebrity" oboe case together) and Boyle talks in that one about how much he loves Diane Wiest. I love that Diane Wiest appears to be Boyle's celebrity crush. 

• Love 4

I don't think Weist is age appropriate for Boyle. She feels older?

On 12/7/2016 at 6:41 PM, peeayebee said:

The best thing is that you knew what was coming as soon as Jake gave CJ access to the earpieces. But it was so hilarious anyway. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

Oh agreed. :o) Just saying Weist is, therefore, not age appropriate ;o) 

Eh, Paul Newman was born the same year as one of my grandfathers, the other was born two years earlier doesn't mean I still wasn't in love with Nobody's Fool Paul Newman. 

I seem to be having difficulty making myself understood so this is my last attempt. I don't think that there's anything wrong with Boyle crushing on Dianne Weist. She is great. In fact, for men and women, I am normally against the entire concept of "age-appropriateness". As long as they are both legal I don't care. However, I was specifically responding to the comment that DW is an age appropriate crush for Boyle, which I disagreed with as she seems to be considerably older. If their genders were reversed there'd be folks up in arms, which I disagree with. 

My apologies for the confusion. 

2 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

However, I was specifically responding to the comment that DW is an age appropriate crush for Boyle, which I disagreed with as she seems to be considerably older.

I think people are remarking that Boyle as a character has always displayed a fondness for older women, so the crush isn't "age inappropriate" for him specifically. 

• Love 1

As usual, the cold open was amazing. A new spin on it, with Jake's disgusted silence, just running and running. Like South Park, Archer and some other shows, this was a great example of how a failure to react to something can be funnier than any reaction could be.

I really liked seeing Jake in a senior, grown-up role, having to coddle, coerce and tolerate CJ. Jake is always competent, but he is usually the guy who tries the patience of his colleagues, so seeing him on the other end of it was a nice bit of character development. Not so sure about continually calling Holt boring, though. That felt laboured.

I'm glad CJ is gone. He's funny, but like the bit with him continuously talking into their earpieces, he becomes too much, very quickly.

Amy was flat out adorable, as usual. Passion for laminating, simultaneous pleasure and dread at the thought of tests, and then being completely on Terry's side when she learned about him failing the lieutenants exam.

Gina was at her hideous, 'always right and smarter than everyone else' worst. Even when she loses, it's because she wanted to. Ugh.

Charles talking about footmilk made me gag. But being surprised that a 24 hour Chinese massage parlour is laundering money? Duh.

On 12/14/2016 at 7:57 AM, Danny Franks said:

But being surprised that a 24 hour Chinese massage parlour is laundering money? Duh.

It was a mani/pedi shop, not a massage parlour. But it being Chinese instead of Vietnamese should have made them suspicious (thank you, Teri Garr!).

18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It was a mani/pedi shop, not a massage parlour. But it being Chinese instead of Vietnamese should have made them suspicious (thank you, Teri Garr!).

Having spoken to friends who work in various law enforcement fields, in the UK if you see a Chinese massage parlour or nail place, chances are pretty high that it's a front for money laundering and/or illegal people trafficking. I guess it's not that different in New York, given that the writers chose this particular storyline.

On 12/7/2016 at 7:41 AM, peeayebee said:

I did not like the Gina/Terry story. Gina reassuring Amy "I got this," or whatever she said made me feel a little better -- though it seemed more like reassurance to the audience -- but there's no way she anticipating Terry getting heaters for everyone and having the grossness of Hitchcock displayed before her. 

I adore Chelsea Peretti but Gina pisses me off a lot. Not the character herself so much as she seems to be a deus ex machina character for the writers. Someone who always thinks they're right is a character trait, someone always actually being right is lazy writing.  

On 12/7/2016 at 11:40 AM, tennisgurl said:

I normally like Gina, but I do get kind of fed up with her sometimes. I think she was bugging Terry so that he could get a win, but it really makes me wonder how she imagined all that going? She really planned on Terry letting everyone in the 99 get heaters, and that Hitchcock would be gross all over the place? Who is she, Patton? Batman? 

Agreed. See my comment above.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:09 PM, Mockingbird said:

Loved pretty much everything about the rest of the episode. Holt naming all of the NYT reporters was hilarious.

Omg Holt is always hilarious but the reading on that line was extra sweet... <3

Is it wrong that I wished Terry would have just let Gina burn? Or at least get burnt enough that she'd have to be in sick leave and not in the precinct? I can't remember the last time I loathed a character so much, and I'm giving serious consideration to dropping the show because of her. It's not so much that she's a terrible person as that we seem to be supposed to cheer her on. Ugh, she's just vile. 

• Love 1