Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: And The Reunion Of Evil

I kind of appreciated Flynn's absence this week.  I remember trying to get through the Librarian movies but just never being able to do so, even when one of them starred Stana Katic, who I loved on Castle.  This one was good.  I'm just really coming into this series this season, though I've seen a few prior episodes.  Is Lindy Booth's Cassandra actually a twelve year old prodigy who is somehow in a thirty-something year old woman's body?  Because that would explain a lot about her.  I have the first season on order for Christmas and will get the second season in January, so I'll be able to catch up fairly soon.  I did like Christian Kane's character being the life of the frost giant party.

• Love 1

That awkward moment when you realize you stumbled into a reunion of ice trolls.   

I really liked this one.  I liked the pairing up of Stone and Cassandra and Baird/Ezekiel/Jenkins.   Watching Stone and Cassandra and at the reunion was hilarious especially Stone with his knowledge of history and stuff.  He almost had everyone convinced and watching him as the life of the party was entertaining.     Ezekiel was his usual helpful/not helpful self but watching him with hold the egg the whole time was great.     

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I don't remember Cassandra being able to use magic, is that new?

I think any of them could since the power seems to be in the artifacts instead of the user. Just last week or the week before, Jones got yelled at for using Clotho's spinning wheel to repair his sweaters. This has potential for some interesting problems, though: lack of good judgement + unlimited access to powerful magic -- isn't that a pretty standard trope?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't remember Cassandra being able to use magic, is that new?

I feel like she might have used some in the pilot before she decided to side with the Librarians, definitely in Eve's alternative universe travels, and there were a couple of episodes where fairies or something indicated that she had an aptitude for magic.

Stone makes a darn good frost giant. I know they only eat the crystal every 600 years, but I would love a joke about Stone attending another frost giant event. I would really love it if his invitation is addressed to "Fake Finkelstein c/o The Library."

• Love 2

Cassandra Cillian takes on Buffy's Willow Rosenberg. Hey now, be nice.

View the full article

Sorry for the nitpick, I'm just a complete Buffy-geek so I can't stop myself from mentioning Vamp Willow was first in The Wish, I'd just hate for a Buffy newbie to watch The Gift looking for Vamp Willow and finding themselves spoiled watching the Season 5 finale, that would be bad :)
Other than that, I love both Cassandra and Willow and your article.
<>

• Love 1

I thought this toed the line of wacky, but it was still good. The main thing for me was the use of magic. I don't subscribe to the theory that it's too dangerous and can't be used at all. It's a tool. Sure, don't use it to mend your sweater and be careful, but they were in a dire situation. 

Are they playing on a Doctor Who theme all season? Because this episode featured a lot of running through the hallways, which was a hallmark of the classic era series. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I thought this toed the line of wacky, but it was still good. The main thing for me was the use of magic. I don't subscribe to the theory that it's too dangerous and can't be used at all. It's a tool. Sure, don't use it to mend your sweater and be careful, but they were in a dire situation. 

Are they playing on a Doctor Who theme all season? Because this episode featured a lot of running through the hallways, which was a hallmark of the classic era series. 

I think Stone's (and the show's) point is that it's a slippery slope.  Maybe Cassandra uses a "Charm" spell to get a thug to drop his gun and surrender, which is good.  It's not that many steps before she might use it to get out of a traffic stop or get to the front of the line at Starbucks.  The good ways to use magic can allow someone to justify the not-so-good ways to use it.

As for her using it to begin with, Cassandra's "Library power" seems to be her ability to spot and understand patterns.  If anyone's going to be able to figure out the internal logic behind the use of magic (in terms of spells, figure anyone can (mis)use an artifact) it'll be Cassandra.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I think Stone's (and the show's) point is that it's a slippery slope.  Maybe Cassandra uses a "Charm" spell to get a thug to drop his gun and surrender, which is good.  It's not that many steps before she might use it to get out of a traffic stop or get to the front of the line at Starbucks.  The good ways to use magic can allow someone to justify the not-so-good ways to use it.

As for her using it to begin with, Cassandra's "Library power" seems to be her ability to spot and understand patterns.  If anyone's going to be able to figure out the internal logic behind the use of magic (in terms of spells, figure anyone can (mis)use an artifact) it'll be Cassandra.

They are Libriarians.  They should be smart enough to figure stuff out.  Magic should be plan C or D not plan A.  Cassandra is too quick to go for Magic instead of trying to figure out the puzzle.  

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The show has always featured a lot of running even since the pilot.  It's not really anything new.  

• Love 1

It seemed like they were on Plan C or D by the time she used it from what I remember. I don't really recall running through hallways in this way as they were doing here either, and on the heels of the Doctor Who discussion from the last episode. I don't see the big deal in the need to disprove the observation though. It's a fun show and they're seemingly doing some fun things with it. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

They are Libriarians.  They should be smart enough to figure stuff out.  Magic should be plan C or D not plan A.  Cassandra is too quick to go for Magic instead of trying to figure out the puzzle. 

Figure in this case using magic was the solution to the puzzle.  The Frost Giants secured the crystal in the ice in such a way that they figured only they would be able to get to it.  There was probably a some kind of protection on the block to keep fire from melting it.  At the close of the episode they were preparing to use a magic ritual to get to the crystal.  You "solve" the puzzle by using magic to get the crystal out of the ice or you don't get the crystal.

• Love 4

Good point. The problem was that the spell Cassandra used had an unexpected and unwelcome consequence, which is what always seems to happen when someone who doesn't know enough about what they're doing uses magic. And although Jones is a dangerous magic user because he's a lazy little twerp, Cassandra has made at least one other big misstep regarding the use of magic back in the first season so she's the one I'd second-guess most.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

This show is so much better without Flynn around. With Flynn, the three just become his sidekicks. I love all the crazy humour in this episode.

After working together for so long, it's sad to see that the team still doesn't have confidence in Ezekiel. He can be an immature kid but he has never let them down when it really mattered (most self-sacrificial of the lot IMO), so I'm not sure why Eve and gang are always acting so surprised whenever he does something responsible.

• Love 5

That's the first episode this season I truly liked (might be Flynn's absence though I've never been annoyed by the character). The unusual pairings were working really well. Stone and Cassandra had some interesting character moments. I agree with him and although she concedes his point at the end I'm not sure she'll act differently next time they're in trouble. And I've always liked Ezekiel. I think baby Nessie was the writers remembering how great he was with the Gargoyle. I hope baby Nessie stays around for a while

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I think any of them could since the power seems to be in the artifacts instead of the user. Just last week or the week before, Jones got yelled at for using Clotho's spinning wheel to repair his sweaters. This has potential for some interesting problems, though: lack of good judgement + unlimited access to powerful magic -- isn't that a pretty standard trope?

In one episode (or was it one of the movies?) this was called out explicitly -- the job of a Guardian is less to be a bodyguard, and more to help Librarians stay on a moral path. That much power is enticing and they can be lured towards the dark side, as the Librarian before Flynn was.

• Love 2

Ice Trolls and Baby Nessie!  That's the kind of wacky, off the wall stuff that I dig about this show!

I enjoyed how they paired everyone off in this one.  Jake and Cassandra's relationship is always interesting, due to Jake's distrust over her magical abilities.  Which, I kind of feel him this time around since it was her casting the initial spell that kickstarted this entire problem.  But at least it got out them out of the jam too!  And she will have to pay for it since apparently the only way to get that amulet out sounds.... very painful.

Baird, Jenkins, and Ezekiel was fun too, even though I knew Ezekiel would end up saving the day.  He may be a goofball, but he's shown time and time that he can be effective when he sets him mind to it.

Best parts where Jake bonding with the Ice Trolls due to his attitude and his general knowledge of their history.  I just like that Jake isn't some dumb jock, but is very smart and well-versed in other cultures. 

• Love 3

I thought it was just an okay episode although I really liked how the doors kept closing while Cassandra and Stone were running through the hallways chased by the Frost People. I think it suffered from too much Cassandra/Stone hijinks and not enough Baird. So glad, however, not to have Flynn eating the show.

On 12/5/2016 at 3:25 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Cassandra is too quick to go for Magic instead of trying to figure out the puzzle.

As we've been repeatedly told, the Epic Battle has begun, so getting practice with such an important tool/weapon is important.

12 hours ago, Hanahope said:

They are in an ice cave and Cassandra is wearing shorts with tights.  Really?  Can't they dress her like an adult? 

Kane was great with the frost giants. 

No, she was wearing a full winter jacket.  It's just what she had on underneath. 

1 minute ago, Matt K said:

No, she was wearing a full winter jacket.  It's just what she had on underneath. 

Yes, a jacket on top, but her legs were just in tights (and boots).  I don't know about you, but where I live, there's no way I could wear just tights under shorts (or a short skirt) when the temperature gets to "ice cave" level, my legs would freeze.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Yes, a jacket on top, but her legs were just in tights (and boots).  I don't know about you, but where I live, there's no way I could wear just tights under shorts (or a short skirt) when the temperature gets to "ice cave" level, my legs would freeze.

A lot depends on what you're accustomed to; by February here in New England, mid-20s can feel like t-shirt weather to me. Cassandra could have done some training for the mission. Although, given the theme of the episode, there could have been some magic in that jacket.

On 12/9/2016 at 5:56 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

FWIW, today's below-freezing weather here hasn't dissuaded many coeds at the local university from wearing the black tights that have been in style lately.

A few years ago I saw a 10 news report here in Tucson, I think it was January. We were having a cold spell so the reporter was down around all the college bars interviewing a group of young ladies.  My daughter and I made bets on how many were wearing shorts and Uggs with their sweatshirts. 3 of the 4 girls had shorts on while complaining about the cold.  I would prefer the black tights.  When I went to the U of A I used to dream of the sound of flip flops at night.

• Love 1

Yes, a jacket on top, but her legs were just in tights (and boots).  I don't know about you, but where I live, there's no way I could wear just tights under shorts (or a short skirt) when the temperature gets to "ice cave" level

There’s an app for that.

The whole Frost Giant reunion reminded me a lot of an American Gods side story. All of the "ancient creatures trying to adapt to the modern world" vibes. I really liked the episode in general. I feel like a bad fan, because I had no clue the show was back until I saw something on Twitter last night! Its freezing here, so I have been snuggling with my cat, drinking hot chocolate, and catching up! Good times. 

Nessie baby is cute. I want to babysit!

• Love 1