Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Episode 9

• Start Topic

Demelza refuses to speak to Ross and expects him to return to Elizabeth, abandoning her and Jeremy. Elizabeth and Agatha believe the same and Elizabeth writes to George to postpone the wedding. George rides to Trenwith to make Elizabeth agree to another date, ensuring his plans are not usurped. In Truro, Tonkin invites Ross to join him in a prospering shipbuilding partnership. Meanwhile, Demelza accepts Sir Hugh Bodrugan's invitation to his ball, where she finds Captain McNeil, inviting him to her room, having justified the possibility of adultery as something Ross has driven her to. Ross finds Demelza on Hendrawna Beach but hasn't the words to build a bridge between them. Ross is beckoned to the mine where they have cleared the collapse and come upon the richest lode of tin Henshawe has ever seen - may Ross soon may be free of debt?

I think it's funny that George thinks he's beaten Ross because George has married Elizabeth. She'll always have feelings for Ross, no matter what. In that respect, George will never win.

Oh, and it's so obvious

Elizabeth is pregnant with Ross's child. Ugh. Sigh.

Sir Hugh's droit de seigneur was so gross.

Malcolm was quite the purple seducer. Yikes.

• Love 6

Jeez, Demelza, you sure were playing quite the dangerous game as resident tease.  Btw, were those drawn-on moles supposed to be hot in 1790?  Now it would be cause for a tense trip to the dermatologist for a cancer screening.  I never trusted that hot soldier.

Wow, cold fish Liz, prissy-prissy Georgie-poo & Miss Universe, uh, I mean Caroline, all in one room, eh?  That room sure stank of lousy acting!

Oh, Ross you really are a useless wimp.

• Love 5

That Nana Poldark vs George epic stare down at the end...glorious.

Glad that Demelza wasn't buying any of Ross' crap. Sadly, he gave her the puppy eyes near the end and she made the mistake of making eye contact with them, so now I expect they'll start to try and repair the relationship. :(

Captain Malcolm was ridiculously cheesy.

sadly, the show missed the opportunity of someone (demelza) murdering somebody (Malcolm) in the Red Room. It was the perfect set up! Demelza with red hair...in a red dress...in the red room...with the candle stick (or candelabra by the looks of it). Malcolm's red blood would have perfectly matched all the red upholstery...

just saying.

That scene with Tankard and the old guy (sir hughes? Hughe?) outside demelza's room cracked me up. Sorry.

• Love 11

I'm ONLY watching this show for Aunt Agatha.   Whatever she says is pure gold & her death stares are awesome.  You rule, Aunt Agatha!  You must live forever.

Seriously, what is wrong with wimpy Ross?  Liz was waiting for him to leave Demelza & just take up with her -- and yet he didn't.  And when Demelza asked him if he wanted her to throw herself off a cliff, didn't he give her a look like he was thinkin' . . . OK?  Sheesh, you suck, Ross.

• Love 10

There is a badass in this series and it ain't Ross - it's Nana Poldark.

I am glad that Demelza didn't cheat on Ross, not for Ross' sake but for her own.

This takes place during the Georgian Era, doesn't it? Much racier time period than the Regency and the Victorian age.  Didn't certain dandies wear  red-heeled shoes, powder and patches?

• Love 8

Demelza playing Jezebel was really pretty funny.  I'm glad she escaped when she did.  I could see where Malcolm got the wrong idea but the other two were just plain gross.  Ross is an idiot!  You could see Elizabeth was really getting into the good life with George.  It shows just how miserable she would be with Ross.   I love that Agatha turned up the Evil Card when George came to call.  I hope she will be the one to take him down.

• Love 7

I hope Elizabeth is not preggers with a RossBaby.  But since this is a melodrama, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if/when it is revealed.

Is George moving into Tremworth just to further spite Ross? Or the Aunt? I was kinda hoping with the new wealth discovered in the mine that Ross would stroll over and plop down a stack o' bills to buy the place.  I know he & Demelza would take care of Old Aunty just fine.  If George is moving in, I don't expect Aunty to be around long.  If he was willing to instruct his weasel Tankard to attack and rape Demelza, I can't imagine he would ask him to off the old lady.

Thank goodness the soldier dude backed down and left Demelza alone.  So frightening for her to overhear Tankard & Sir Hugh fighting over who gets to sexually assault her.  Good thing her room had windows big enough to accommodate that big red dress as she escaped. 

I know the 18th century was a different time with different ideas on women's rights (i.e.- NONE), but were there really no consequences if a "gentleman" assaulted a married "gentlewoman"?  Demelza started off a scullery maid, but she married up and has a well respected name.  Caroline's uncle Hugh is a big shot and probably could get out of any wrong doing, but what if Tankard or Malcolm did rape her? Plus, even though their relationship is rocky, if Ross found out Demelza's "honor" was insulted, I think he'd go on the attack and mow down the offender.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 4

Demelza's quiet speech to Ross was amazing. Demelza for the win!

And now, for my (apparently) politically incorrect opinion. I didn't see what Ross and Elizabeth did as rape or anything close to it. And Demelza's speech to Ross "seconded" my thoughts. Elizabeth knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she wrote that letter to Ross, and it played out pretty much as she expected. What she further expected though, was for Ross to drop his wife and son like the bad habit she assumed them to be, and come running back to her. And it looks like he at least considered it. Oops... And now she's married George. primarily to spite Ross for not running to her fast enough. Good luck with that.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, TVForever said:

What she further expected though, was for Ross to drop his wife and son like the bad habit she assumed them to be, and come running back to her. And it looks like he at least considered it.

I couldn't figure out what, legally, Elizabeth and Aunt Agatha were actually expecting to happen. They may think that he should leave his "scullery maid" and take up the Poldark mantle, but he is legally married to Demelza. Based on my no doubt very accurate Wikipedia reading, divorce or annulment at this time in England was restricted to the very wealthy. Newly discovered tin or not, we have heard ad nauseum in this series that Ross is not wealthy. So what, exactly, are they waiting for him to do? 

I keep thinking I'll stop watching since no amount of beauty shots of a windswept Demelza standing on a cliff during magic hour make up for what feels like endlessly circular plotting, the focus on the irritating Elizabeth, and the unearned hero-worship of Ross, yet I still let it play. It's more than I did for Indian Summers, which I dropped after one season, so I guess I have to give it the faint praise that I continue to half-watch it, even while find it annoying.

• Love 2

Question:  I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop that the mine was finally going to pay off, but Ross had assigned all his shares to Elizabeth, boo hoo for him.

Maybe the mine shares were an inheritance in the event of his death, but I thought he made the arrangements in anticipation of going off to prison.

Anyway, we'll need to be revising that, Mr. Can't-Make-Up-Your-Mind.

So George has such a stiffie for Ross that he's going to move to the rather rundown Trenwirth Estate with Aunt Daggers and the little boy's Tonka Trucks all over the place instead of sticking with the plush environs of . . . Cardew(?)   I guess he really likes running into Ross on the riding path and giving him the neener-neener.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, stanleyk said:

I couldn't figure out what, legally, Elizabeth and Aunt Agatha were actually expecting to happen.

I know! I assume Francis's estate is now legally Jeffrey Charles's, though I don't know who handles it while he's a minor. Ross has done all he can for them financially, and even with the mine starting to produce, it's going to take a while for the money to start coming in.

I think Elizabeth doesn't want to have to make any sort of decision ever. She wants her life laid out before her and all she has to do is follow along. Ugh. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think Elizabeth doesn't want to have to make any sort of decision ever. She wants her life laid out before her and all she has to do is follow along.

Oh, Elizabeth makes all sorts of decisions for herself, often in haste, and then when they don't work out she blames others for forcing her into them. She is annoying, but not because she's passive.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I know! I assume Francis's estate is now legally Jeffrey Charles's, though I don't know who handles it while he's a minor. Ross has done all he can for them financially, and even with the mine starting to produce, it's going to take a while for the money to start coming in.

Ross is co-executor of Geoffrey Charles' estate with Elizabeth.  That's ostensibly why he's needed to be over there 20 times a day and why Elizabeth couldn't figure out a thing to do without him.  What he doesn't have is any obligation to be offering up any more of his own money to them beyond the expectation as family head of not allowing his cousin's widow and child to end up destitute on the street if he can help it.

It's a complete anachronism that Elizabeth or Agatha think there's any possibility of Ross chucking his legal wife and coming to live with them as head of the Poldark family or for Demelza to keep trying to bait him to do it.  A divorce is a near impossibility in England at this time for someone who can't afford an act of Parliament.  Ross also can't abandon his wife to live openly with another woman without all of them and their children becoming complete social outcasts, which sort of defeats the whole point of being gentry in the first place.  They also don't have the money to even consider running away together.  So what any of them expect to come of letting it play out, in Ross' words, I have no idea.

• Love 3

There are two mines in play here. Ross sold his shares in #1 to pay Elizabeth for Francis' investment in #2. Mine #1 has remained slightly profitable; it's the one that George kept buying shares in during Season 1 so that he became the majority shareholder. Ross and Francis went in together to reopen an idle mine earlier this season. When Ross paid Elizabeth for Jeffrey Charles' shares in #2, he became sole owner. 

One of the mines is Wheal Grace and one is Wheal Leisure but I can never remember which is which without going back to the books. 

I wondered when Demelza told Malcolm she was in "the Red Room" and he replied he was "familiar with it," if that room was reserved for "loose women" that male guest were free to sleep with. Since Demelza had no interaction with George's gopher, I was surprise both he and the old host felt entitled to sleep with her. Unless it was the "Red Room" thing. That, and she came to the party alone so much be a tramp. And yes, those "beauty marks" were applied and considered BEAUTY MARKS back in the day. I though it was cool the show the fashion trend of the era.

Wow, that post is full of typos. Sorry guys, I am unable to edit from this site. My apologies for all the mistakes.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

Oh, Elizabeth makes all sorts of decisions for herself, often in haste, and then when they don't work out she blames others for forcing her into them. She is annoying, but not because she's passive.

Well, yes, she did actively agree to marry George. So in that respect she made a decision. But she waited around for Ross to come and tell her not to. She waited around for Ross to tell her what to do after Francis died. Elizabeth doesn't make a decision unless she absolutely has to. That's passive, IMO.

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

"the Red Room"

Before Malcolm arrived, Demelza thought about locking the door. I don't know why she didn't do that when she heard Sir Hugh and Tankard outside. That might have given her time to change her clothes and run away, though her walk on the beach later would have looked less cinematic.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TVForever said:

Demelza's quiet speech to Ross was amazing. Demelza for the win!

And now, for my (apparently) politically incorrect opinion. I didn't see what Ross and Elizabeth did as rape or anything close to it. And Demelza's speech to Ross "seconded" my thoughts. Elizabeth knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she wrote that letter to Ross, and it played out pretty much as she expected. What she further expected though, was for Ross to drop his wife and son like the bad habit she assumed them to be, and come running back to her. And it looks like he at least considered it. Oops... And now she's married George. primarily to spite Ross for not running to her fast enough. Good luck with that.

Not exactly a nice gal, that Lizzie, is she?  Um, and just what was she expecting after their sleazy, seemingly spontaneous one night stand?  Was she fine & dandy with Ross leaving his wife & child for her?  Blech, both Liz & Ross suck.

And yet , Ross didn't leave Demelza & run to Liz.  Why?  Guilt?  Feeling responsible for Demelza & his child?  Eh, not buying those because that might mean he's actually a decent guy & I don't think he is.  He's still a jerk.  I just can't figure why he didn't go off with Liz.  Maybe he realizes what a humorless, boring cold fish Liz is & he's really not that into her & knows Demelza is way more fun to be around?  

Ross seems to be all about rescuing people.  Living life -- that he ain't so great at.  Hey Ross, now that ya got a few shillings to rub together, fix up that awful dump you're forcing Demelza to live in.

• Love 4

OK, someone help me out here, please -- I got the really icky impression the attempted rape of Demelza (by 3 men, count 'em 3) was being played out here for laughs, chuckles & giggles.  Anyone else get this impression?  Um, what the what?  Is this coming straight outta the novel or is it the slant of this production?  Ugh.

Look, I get they're trying to throw at us that Demelza is Supergirl & she can get herself out of any jam, but still . . . blech to the tone of this stuff.

Btw, is there a reason for Caroline to show up again?  That is, other than flat, smirky line readings & posing for an audition for Miss Universe or a Crest White Strips commercial?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

It's a complete anachronism that Elizabeth or Agatha think there's any possibility of Ross chucking his legal wife and coming to live with them as head of the Poldark family or for Demelza to keep trying to bait him to do it.  A divorce is a near impossibility in England at this time for someone who can't afford an act of Parliament.  Ross also can't abandon his wife to live openly with another woman without all of them and their children becoming complete social outcasts, which sort of defeats the whole point of being gentry in the first place.  They also don't have the money to even consider running away together.  So what any of them expect to come of letting it play out, in Ross' words, I have no idea.

Under normal circumstances, Ross and Elizabeth would suffer socially if he left his wife for her. Remember though, that in their social circle, folks still practically snicker when Demelza enters a room. They all think Ross married way beneath his station, and probably would consider Ross having "come to his senses" if he actually did leave his wife, especially for Elizabeth.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

OK, someone help me out here, please -- I got the really icky impression the attempted rape of Demelza (by 3 men, count 'em 3) was being played out here for laughs, chuckles & giggles.  Anyone else get this impression?  Um, what the what?  Is this coming straight outta the novel or is it the slant of this production?  Ugh.

Look, I get they're trying to throw at us that Demelza is Supergirl & she can get herself out of any jam, but still . . . blech to the tone of this stuff.

Btw, is there a reason for Caroline to show up again?  That is, other than flat, smirky line readings & posing for an audition for Miss Universe or a Crest White Strips commercial?

If I remember correctly, the old British version(BBC?) had the old guy (sorry I'm forgetting his name-the host of the party) pursuing Demelza quite a bit. She indulged it and maybe even flirted back a little in the interest of getting things done, but there was never the impression that she took him seriously. This version seems to have condensed all of that into one scene, so it just seemed really odd.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

And yet , Ross didn't leave Demelza & run to Liz.  Why?  Guilt?  Feeling responsible for Demelza & his child?  Eh, not buying those because that might mean he's actually a decent guy & I don't think he is.  He's still a jerk.  I just can't figure why he didn't go off with Liz.  Maybe he realizes what a humorless, boring cold fish Liz is & he's really not that into her & knows Demelza is way more fun to be around?  

I think (and I'm getting this from the books) that Ross has this image of Elizabeth from his youth.  He wonders "what if" but a larger part of his brain realizes that he'd be very unhappy with Elizabeth as his wife; intellectually he knows a relationship with Elizabeth would make zero sense but emotionally, he's not there yet. 

I'm on the second book and the problem with Ross is that he can't keep his mouth shut when he really should.  The problem with this series is that George looks too much like a dandy, like all you have to do to hurt him is to hide his hair spray.  In the books, George is described as being more of a brute, they keep mentioning his large neck, so I keep imaging some NFL player when I read the books. 

• Love 4

And therein lies the big problem for me with this production -- the casting of this actor as George.  His prissiness is just all wrong.  I burst out laughing when Liz dropped her undies so they could supposedly consummate their marriage.  I kinda doubt that was the reaction producers of this show were going for.  Was it?  Seriously, did they want us to believe that dandy prissy dude is really gonna "ravage" her like Ross did?  C'mon producers . . . really?  Suppressing giggles & chuckles.

Now, it could be Liz is just marrying George ONLY for his money.  But it would add something if he had some hotness to him, and she might be attracted to that.  Even if it is brutishness, as the novel implies.  But the George in this production just can't carry off much to convince us he's in any way romantic with women.  It's just not workin'.  Sorry, producers, but this George was a miscast!

Especially in this episode, Elizabeth seemed to marry George to spite Ross, whereas earlier it was more of a desperation due to her money woes. With both of them wanting to stick it to Ross (albeit for different reasons), they're a perfect pair.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Now, it could be Liz is just marrying George ONLY for his money.  But it would add something if he had some hotness to him, and she might be attracted to that.  Even if it is brutishness, as the novel implies.  But the George in this production just can't carry off much to convince us he's in any way romantic with women.  It's just not workin'.  Sorry, producers, but this George was a miscast!

Yes, because when I watch this production; I keep wondering if George is the one in love with Ross, he acts more like an unrequited lover, than a romantic rival.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Is George moving into Tremworth just to further spite Ross?

Spiting Ross seems to be his entire reason for living.  For all George's ruffled cuffs and wicked ways, last night I appreciated his decisive actions and one track focus.  Compared to Ross's continuous riding by and Elizabeth's endless standing in the window, I appreciated George storming out to Elizabeth's house and insisting she pick a date.

Many great lines this episode.  I don't remember them exactly but Prudy presenting that burnt slab of food and saying that since Demelza started to do all the cooking she had "lost her skillage."  Demelza telling  Ross he probably didn't want her anymore after the frail and delicate Elizabeth. 

Demelza continues to have perfect moral instincts.  I loved hearing her tell Ross that her pride wasn't hurt at all, it was her pride in him that had plummeted.  How dare Ross even think that Demelza should be feeling ashamed over his affair as though his going to Elizabeth was a failure on her part.  Her instincts came through for her again at the party when she suddenly realized that sleeping with the officer wouldn't prove anything but make her sink to Ross's level.  I really felt her anger at Ross for making her disappointed in herself.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, TVForever said:

If I remember correctly, the old British version(BBC?) had the old guy (sorry I'm forgetting his name-the host of the party) pursuing Demelza quite a bit. She indulged it and maybe even flirted back a little in the interest of getting things done, but there was never the impression that she took him seriously. This version seems to have condensed all of that into one scene, so it just seemed really odd.

The books have Sir Hugh Bodrugan (the host) regularly in pursuit of Demelza. Neither she nor Ross really take him seriously but as you've said, she does occasionally take advantage of his interest for her own ends - most notably before Ross's trial when she's trying to get some info on the judge. The second guy at the door in the book was Sir John Trevaunance, another man of her acquaintance who fancied her. In the books, by the time the two of them get to her door, she's already long gone - it is played a bit for laughs as well with them tossing a coin to see who gets to go in, and Hugh (having lost) waiting because he's sure Demelza will send John packing. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

. I know the 18th century was a different time with different ideas on women's rights (i.e.- NONE), but were there really no consequences if a "gentleman" assaulted a married "gentlewoman"?  Demelza started off a scullery maid, but she married up and has a well respected name.  Caroline's uncle Hugh is a big shot and probably could get out of any wrong doing, but what if Tankard or Malcolm did rape her? Plus, even though their relationship is rocky, if Ross found out Demelza's "honor" was insulted, I think he'd go on the attack and mow down the offender.

No. Demelza would be blamed for it. That's how society rolled. It was the woman's fault if she got raped. Period.

• Love 2

One of the mines is Wheal Grace and one is Wheal Leisure but I can never remember which is which without going back to the books.

I think the mine in which they just discovered a lode of tin is Wheal Grace. It's the mine named after Ross' mother. 

As for the Bodrugan party and the seduction scenes, they were played for the laughs in the 70 series as well ... and in fact, I thought it was a bit funnier back then. Demelza had been stringing these men along for years, mostly to keep on their good side when she and Ross needed their help. I think the way it's presented is a mark contrast to Ross' fall from grace in that Demelza had to drink to get "her courage" up, had to hold off three suitors, and finally had to make a break for it by the window. While Ross' actual infidelity was serious and tragic and involved feelings long held, Demelza's attempt at infidelity failed miserably because it wasn't about her feelings towards any of these men but towards Ross.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Yes, the reason is she is a main character.

I vastly prefer the Dwight/Caroline romance even in its interrupted state to the "romance" of Ross and Demelza.  I love Demelza but Ross can jump off a very tall cliff for all I care.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I love Caroline.  I hope she and Dwight get back together.  At this point I'm more invested in them than in anything Ross does.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I almost didn't recognize her without that bright red lipstick...

still don't like her. I was fully expecting her to bring up Ross by name just to mess with Elizabeth and George. For fun. Because that's her kind of fun. 

Luckily, she made it slightly less awkward by only mentioning Elizabeth wanting to be sure that this marriage was what her heart really wanted...*hint hint nudge nudge* 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
41 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I was fully expecting her to bring up Ross by name just to mess with Elizabeth and George

I would love for someone to mess with Liz the Priss and good ol' George.

I thought in that scene Caroline was only making an attempt at polite conversation while trying to pump them for info on Dwight.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 3

I can't figure out why Ross didn't ask Demelza a few obvious questions when he met her on the beach. IIRC, he had no idea she was going to the ball without him, so wouldn't he ask her where she'd been in those gorgeous clothes? And even if I'm wrong about whether he knew where she'd spent the night, why didn't he seem to even register that she's ruining her ballgown, her hair is a rat's nest and she's got make-up smeared all over her face?  She looks like she may have been robbed, assaulted, raped, escaped a fire, been caught in a riot, had a nervous breakdown or gone completely nuts. But no, not a word about it. 

Incidentally, I thought that first shot of her on the beach, wading in that dress, is the most beautiful visual in the series so far. 

• Love 8

DuVerre, I believe PBS cut a relevant scene that would have made this clearer.  I think Ross initially goes home and finds out from Prudie and Jed that Demelza is not there.  He is looking for her when he spies her on the beach.  

I really wish we were getting the entire hour rather than the targeted cuts PBS wields.

• Love 11
57 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

DuVerre, I believe PBS cut a relevant scene that would have made this clearer.  I think Ross initially goes home and finds out from Prudie and Jed that Demelza is not there.  He is looking for her when he spies her on the beach.  

I really wish we were getting the entire hour rather than the targeted cuts PBS wields.

Thank you, Clawdette, and that's a relief. It would at least explain his lack of interest in where she'd been (assuming they told him she'd been to the ball). But could Prudie and Jud have explained why she looks like she'd just survived some catastrophe? I don't think she'd have told them she was forced to flee the mansion from a window (and not from the first floor either). So on that level, I'm still at a loss. (How I wish I could see the scene!)

Edited by duVerre
clarity
  • Love 1

This entire subplot is an area in which I don't think the series does justice to the books.  There is no rendezvous on the beach; Demelza is already at home when Ross returns (he doesn't even know she went to the ball).  This comes out later.  It's all rather peripatetic as filmed.

For me, I think I have a better understanding of Ross because I read the books.  I don't think I'd be very sympathetic going just by what's on the screen.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

So in the book he's not the thoughtless jackass we're seeing here?

The series has made a number of subtle but very significant changes that have a considerable impact on how various characters are perceived, not just Ross - but as the lead, he's the most obviously affected. S1 went out of its way to increase his  hero status, twisting the story as written by Graham to achieve this, and S2 has done the reverse, again twisting Graham's story to make Ross's fall from grace look far worse than originally written. Book!Ross is written as central protagonist, not hero, and is a compelling, charismatic, deeply flawed man, capable of doing great things and terrible things in equal measure. He can be thoughtless. He can also be thoughtful. The story as a whole is much deeper, more nuanced, and better balanced in the books - but then, that is generally the case with adaptations. What you are seeing on screen doesn't really do justice to Graham's original story or characters.

• Love 8