Type keyword(s) to search

The After Show: Because You Can't Get Enough

• Start Topic

When an episode is slated to run for ninety minutes, and the ensuing repeat runs for 60, that can mean one thing: a behind-the-scenes peek into The Challenge with The After Show.

To be honest, I'm usually down on the idea of an "After Show." For one thing, I'm usually watching The Daily Show at 11 p.m. For another, we tend to get overwhelmed with the input of the Challengers, as the drama spills over from the show. Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it before when all we'd get was  reunion after the season ended. I'll tune in this Thursday because TDS is in repeats, but I'll probably DVR the After Show and watch it at my own leisure.

I was genuinely surprised by The After Show. We had Jonny Moseley hosting, a guy who should be in TJ's place. We had no studio audience with the average IQ of dirt. We got to see more hook-ups and fights. We had Susie doing commentary . . . which blows, since a. she's a bitch, and b. she hasn't been on a Challenge since The Ruins. I'm dreading seeing Kenny and/or Evan again. Still, I think The After Show didn't blow, which was nice.

It makes me legitimately sad that Johnny Moseley has been tasked with hosting this nonsense. Dude was commentating on the Olympics just a couple months ago, and now he has to spend his time chatting with these nitwits, without even having the "honor" of being the actual host of the Challenge.

I don't think anyone put a gun to J-Mo's head. He's hosted three Challenges . . . maybe he wants the After Show because it's just his speed. That's a shame, since even at his most stoned-looking, he still made for a better host that Teege.

• Love 2

I say it was. At one point, they were showing what happens after a contestant (in this case, Dustin) is eliminated. He winds up going under the house, where his stuff is packed. After staying at a hotel, he goes home. It's more interesting than I make it sound.

STFU, Tyler. STFU, Tyler. No, seriously, shut the fuck up. I think BMP will be trying my patience with every After Show, bringing in one loathsome "expert" after another. Tyler easily hurdled the bar that Susie set up last week. It should be interesting to see who will try and raise the bar of obnoxiousness next time.

And I gotta hand it to Jasmine for not punching Nia in the face. Lord knows she was asking for it. Jasmine also gets points for acknowledging the pain and suffering Nia went through, even as most fans would be laughing their asses off.

And damn, I LOVED the "karma bites" portion of the show, with people shitting on Frank. Couldn't happen to a more deserving assholes, IMHO.

Interesting to go behind the scenes at BMP's version of the "Dream Team" from Survivor to see a mission getting constructed. Also good to see LaToya and Aneesa, mostly since neither of them are Nia. Of course, we have to hear from Marky Mark . . . good thing he didn't beg to be in the next Challenge, like he did on the EW website.

When an episode is slated to run for ninety minutes, and the ensuing repeat runs for 60, that can mean one thing: a behind-the-scenes peek into The Challenge with The After Show.

To be honest, I'm usually down on the idea of an "After Show." For one thing, I'm usually watching The Daily Show at 11 p.m. For another, we tend to get overwhelmed with the input of the Challengers, as the drama spills over from the show. Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it before when all we'd get was  reunion after the season ended. I'll tune in this Thursday because TDS is in repeats, but I'll probably DVR the After Show and watch it at my own leisure.

If you DVR the Aftershow like I do, it's not so bad. It winds up being under 20 minutes & I like how they changed it up this season by having old Challenge vets come on & give there take.

I like seeing the vets too. Unfortunately after watching this show for 25 seasons,  get attached to some on them.

I agree. I prefer the vets any day over most of the newbies. The vets set the tone for the show & the newbies seem to want to be on to party more than compete (some of them). I also prefer competitors over people like Jonna, Jazmin or Emily getting cast who will never win unless someone literally carries them through the competition.

While I wasn't paying too much attention last night to the After Show, I was glad to see Brad again. He looks a touch too thin, but he still looks great. And I always have to laugh at "veterans" who talk about The Challenge as if it's the Olympics or, like, Thunderdome. Both Mark and Brad have done it, and I expect we get Derrick on the show and doing the same thing before too long. 

• Love 1

While I wasn't paying too much attention last night to the After Show, I was glad to see Brad again. He looks a touch too thin, but he still looks great. And I always have to laugh at "veterans" who talk about The Challenge as if it's the Olympics or, like, Thunderdome. Both Mark and Brad have done it, and I expect we get Derrick on the show and doing the same thing before too long. 

I agree Brad looked very thin. He was always a "good guy". Like Bananas or not, he made perfect sense to me on how he explained the issues with Jordan & Swift agreed. From what I've read or seen over the years, Bananas is a big mouth & obnoxious but from what most of his cast mates say, out of the house he's a real friend & super genuine. Paula & Diem said something like "he's the most supportive friend you can have". He runs his mouth & is the class clown the difference is people in the house like him, not all but most. With Jordan, no one cared for him other than Laurel & the other Johnny who to me is forced to side with him as he has no other friends being a rookie.

It was great seeing Brad last night. He looks good, he sounds good. I still feel sorry for him that he's married to what's her name. Love to see him in the challenge again. I'd also like to see Derrick as the Challenge vet Mosely interviews next. It's great that some of these past challengers have grown beyond this, but some of them I'd like to see come back for one last call.

(edited)

Brad was cool back in the day, but he was a bit of a punk by the time he finally won a Challenge. Same with Derrick . . . Wee Dee went from being a cool guy to helping out the Axis of Ass (Evan, Johnny, Kenny) during The Ruins.

ETA: I'm still holding out for Mike or Coral. Especially Coral, who always delivered the snark when she was on TV.

Edited by Lantern7

I think bringing a vet back to discuss the game is stupid and I don't watch that part. 

I actually like that part, I like to see the older players & their perspective on the game now.

I actually don't mind it either, but it certainly depends on the vet and whether I've enjoyed them in the past. For instance, I was thrilled to see Susie again because I enjoyed her on her season of Road Rules and I liked her in all the Challenges she participated in. I'd also love to see Coral return for the AS. However, I couldn't turn my TV off quick enough when Tyler showed up to give us his special brand of douche. 

(edited)

Reminder: after a week's absence, the After Show returns tonight at 11 p.m.

ETA: Damn, I think we need Devyn every week. Not much else to add, aside from rolling my eyes at Laurel making situations tense with her mere presence.

Edited by Lantern7

Yeah, I agree. I like Devyn. Wasn't overly fond of her during her season (which was the last Real World I saw), but after seeing her on these challenges I find that she has a great sense of humor and good attitude about herself.

• Love 1

"Expert" Suzy going OFF on how awful a person Laurel is, really made my night. Because damn, that unseen footage from the van showed Laurel to be a way more psychotic bitch than I realized.

• Love 1

Why does Nany twitch & fidget so much & ramble on & on? Every time she's on the aftershow or an interview it's hard to watch her. It's like watching a child that can't sit still.

• Love 1

Mark, I believe won the first Battle of the Sexes along with Colin and Jamie. He would've won the second two if he hadn't sacrificed himself in order to let Eric Nies win. I think that's also the first time that Brad got screwed over. Memory's fuzzy though.

I really can't with Sarah. She's another one with an inflated sense of self. She went after Jordan saying she wasn't sure how his head fit through doorways, it was so big. Bitch, yours is, too. Just because he's is big, doesn't make yours any smaller. I also think she's only made it to one final and didn't even finish. Same season she was up Laurel's ass complaining about CM.

• Love 1

Why does Nany twitch & fidget so much & ramble on & on? Every time she's on the aftershow or an interview it's hard to watch her. It's like watching a child that can't sit still.

Cocaine?

Possibly.  Or meth.

Just what I always wanted . . . Kenny. And highlights with Abram, Evan, and Julie. Oh, and CT when he was a Cro-Magon. And friggin' Snooki, who doesn't seem to have a personality. Man, I kinda wish I was running the show, because I'm more of a "Superfan," even when I hate myself for it.

There were good moments, though . . . seeing Katie rip Veronica is always awesome, because -- you might want to pull up a chair, Zach -- bitch had it coming. CT & Diem was sweet, though not as sweet as "Bananas Backpack." And it's good to see that Laurel would draw the line at what Julie did. Damn, seeing her making the crybaby motions still pisses me off . . . not as much as Veronica ridiculing Sarah, though. Seriously, who hooks up with Abram? He's probably more of a psycho than people make CT out to be.

And yes, I'm beginning to see how some people like Zach. If he behaves and cuts his hair, maybe there's something worth rooting for. Oh, and I like CT cleaned up.

• Love 1

I loathe Snookie. I almost turned this off, but I am a Challenge junkie. Apparently. I didn't mind seeing Kenny. I kind of miss Mr. Beautiful and seeing Johanna was a shock. She hasn't been around in ages. Didn't her and Kenny hook up? Didn't Wes fight him over it? Or am I thinking of another chick? Some of these girls all blend into one.

I wonder if that was a recent talking head of CT because he looks better without the beard. He really still seems to care for Diem (yuck) and seem to get all misty eyed remembering. Johnny Backpack never gets old. I kind of like Abram. He is fucking nuts & I enjoyed the challeng where he and Cara got together.

I miss Katie too. Some of the crazy ones I've become fond of (against my will & better judgement) over the years. Still can't stand Veronica. Loved that messing with her harness this time around too. Although that was pretty evil.

Yeah, I liked Zack in his talking heads. He's so much better without Frank who is the challenger I loathe the most.

I'm shocked that Laurel can draw the line. I'm hoping (insane I know) that she throws the elimination so Cara can stay. Or what are the chances she breaks Cara's other hand?

(edited)

Seriously, who hooks up with Abram?

Well, there's Cara, Coral, Veronica and Butterface Rachel to name a few.

I didn't mind seeing Kenny. I kind of miss Mr. Beautiful and seeing Johanna was a shock. She hasn't been around in ages. Didn't her and Kenny hook up?

Yes. They did. Johanna is vapid as hell, but she's flawless looking. Mr. "Beautiful" was looking kind of rough to me.

Snooki was absolutely worthless. Has she always been all tatted up like that on her arms? I don't recall (nor do I really want to I suppose...)

CT all cleaned up is so nice to look at. And word to whatever guy said he can do better than Diem. Call me, CT!

Edited by KraftEasyMac
seeing Johanna was a shock

I saw her hosting some talk show a couple months back and it took me almost an hour to realize who she was and where I knew her from.  She got some serious diction lessons, because her accent was quite thick in previous seasons.  And wow, I'd completely forgotten she was engaged to Wes, of all people.  

CT all cleaned up is so nice to look at.

e's quite scrumptious with that clean shaven look.  Yum!

I was not expecting the "challenge retrospective" episode but I couldn't stand all the stupid Guy/Girl Code commentators. I wanted them to just STFU and let the clips roll with the cast commentary. They played a lot of great moments but I couldn't properly hear or watch most of them.

I wish I could find the aftershows for past seasons. The only ones MTV has are Fresh Meat and The Duel. But I know the Aftershow has been going on with Blair since Inferno 2-maybe even earlier? No one on youtube has posted any of them. 

Some of them are still on MTV.  They don't show up directly, but if you google the season, the page still shows up, with the videos on it.  I'm going through Duel 2 right now, and it has the episodes + aftershows on its page: http://www.mtv.com/videos/the-duel-2-ep-5-duelers-on-the-verge-of-a-nervous-breakdown/1610360/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=26986&channelId=1

(edited)

Heads up: there won't be an After Show tonight.

ETA: I still remember some of the stuff on MTV.com . . . like the time Blair tried to make Abram upset by yelling at him behind a Donell mask.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

Almost forgot about Donell. I'm forgetting the exact details but he was charged with domestic violence and did an interview stating he was trying to get back together with his girlfreind so she would drop the charges. Donell, some things shouldn't be said out loud.

Lantern7 let me join the lovefest and say I'm glad you're here. Somewhere along the line at twop I got the idea that you worked on production of the Real World. Is that correct or have I been giving your posts far too much credit for the last 10 years? It's ok to lie to me, I don't know if I can handle the truth!

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 1

Re: Reunion show

Bananas straight up admitting that he doesn't work and "The Challenge" is basically his job made me so unbelievably sad. What a pathetic tool.

Also? Laurel and Jordan are still together? Yikes. 

You know, I thought that, too, for a bit. But then I think about how Bananas has gone to all of these places I've never seen, and done things (like climb a volcano) that I'm not gonna do, and I figure...hey, if you want to structure your life like that, and you're happy doing it, and you're good at it, more power to you.  Especially if you can be smart enough to manage and maybe invest your winnings so you can have money to live off of down the road.  I mean, his winnings from this season alone is my annual income a few times over, and he only worked what? A month or so? While I'm working pretty much 24-7-365.  So hey, maybe he's got something going over me after all. :-)

• Love 2

Re: Reunion show

Bananas straight up admitting that he doesn't work and "The Challenge" is basically his job made me so unbelievably sad. What a pathetic tool.

Also? Laurel and Jordan are still together? Yikes. 

Cynical me wonders if Jordan will be around once all her winnings are accounted for into savings and taxes.  While she's in go out and play mode, it's probably more fun for him.

You know, I thought that, too, for a bit. But then I think about how Bananas has gone to all of these places I've never seen, and done things (like climb a volcano) that I'm not gonna do, and I figure...hey, if you want to structure your life like that, and you're happy doing it, and you're good at it, more power to you.  Especially if you can be smart enough to manage and maybe invest your winnings so you can have money to live off of down the road.  I mean, his winnings from this season alone is my annual income a few times over, and he only worked what? A month or so? While I'm working pretty much 24-7-365.  So hey, maybe he's got something going over me after all. :-)

I agree. He made over $100k and this is his fifth time winning, so I totally understand his going back again and again and not getting a real job, because why does he need one? He's making a pretty fantastic salary on The Challenge and he does it by hanging out in exotic locals, drinking a lot, doing some crazy activities, and occasionally hooking up. He might as well treat it as his primary source of income (I actually laughed out loud when he said "I had a job in college. I worked at a pizza place.")

Heads up .. .  we have an After Show. With an audience. Oh, and who is Zuri Hall and why is she hosting?

ETA: Damn, I'm not as worked up at Knight's passing as I was with Diem last week. Seeing the panel (and Zuri) tear up was pretty heartbreaking, though. I feel like a dick for thinking of one epitaph: "Hey, He Wasn't The Worst 'Ryan' On His Season." The whole "man/myth/legend" thing does seem overblown. Oh, and Johnny can stop with the "Bananas" t-shirt. Seriously.

I wasn't nearly as upset about Knight as I was about Diem because he came along after I'd dropped off the MTV wagon for awhile.  I didn't know much about him. I don't even know how it happened, but my face just started pouring water from my eyes as soon as I saw Jemmye and Preston crying.  Those emotions were so real and it's jarring when we remember that these are people with real relationships, who have just lost someone that had a big impact on their lives.  

Maybe I'm just dead inside (I know I'm not) but I didn't have any reaction to stuff involving Knight. As I get older, I realize how much the late Patrice O Neal's bit about struggling to care is true. Like, you see or hear these terrible stories on the news or about celebrities a lot. Then, you see a lot of people getting over emotional (not judging) over people they don't know and I find myself struggling to really care. Sometimes, the story or person strikes a note where I feel more. But, generally, I don't really have thought besides that's sad. Wish it didn't happen and just move on with my life.

• Love 2

Up until this aftershow, I was pretty sure I had never seen Knight on a challenge before (and I didn't watch his RW season).  Then they showed the clips of him and Preston as partners a few challenges back.... didn't realize that was the same guy!  He looked so different.  Was Camilla on Knight's season of Real World?  I was very confused as to why she was sitting between Jemmye and Preston. 

I have to admit, I did mist up a bit.  But it wasn't due to Knight; it was seeing his friends so completely torn up about it.

• Love 1

Up until this aftershow, I was pretty sure I had never seen Knight on a challenge before (and I didn't watch his RW season). Then they showed the clips of him and Preston as partners a few challenges back.... didn't realize that was the same guy! He looked so different.

I have to admit, I did mist up a bit. But it wasn't due to Knight; it was seeing his friends so completely torn up about it.

Exactly. I couldn't have told you who Knight was but I couldn't take seeing Jemmye and Preston cry like that.

I'll admit, even though Knight was such a jerk and went too far with his antics sometimes, I do miss the guy. There were times on these shows and outside of the shows where I could see his charm (YMMV), and that's what Jemmye and Preston saw in him. Sometimes, a person with no filter is refreshing and needed. You just wished he could've scaled it back some.

Up until this aftershow, I was pretty sure I had never seen Knight on a challenge before (and I didn't watch his RW season).  Then they showed the clips of him and Preston as partners a few challenges back.... didn't realize that was the same guy!  He looked so different.  Was Camilla on Knight's season of Real World?  I was very confused as to why she was sitting between Jemmye and Preston. 

I have to admit, I did mist up a bit.  But it wasn't due to Knight; it was seeing his friends so completely torn up about it.

Camilla wasn't on his season, but she's been on enough Challenges with him to get the full Knight experience (maybe they hung out outside the show?). Plus Camilla has been on a lot of these BMP specials.

I thought they handled the honoring of Knight really well.  I had a reaction I didn't expect to it.  Seeing Jemmye and Preston be so emotional about Knight reminded me of something and taught me a lesson.  If Knight hadn't have passed away....both might have focused on the things about Knight that annoyed or bothered them instead of remembering how the parts of him that they loved.  IMO, we tend to do that as people...when someone passes away...we remember the good and forget the bad.  I took this segment as a life lesson to do that more in life to those who are still living.  Knight was a part of their life and for good or worse, he made an impact and made it better.  

It's also a sad, somber reminder about how alcohol & the reckless choices that often accompany it can just plow over you and easily take a young, vibrant life away.  

Edited by shelley1005
  • Love 4

I agree with the sentiment that I have no feeling re Knight dying because I did not know him. However, I do know how it feels to lose someone and I know that feeling when you are trying to hold it together and are surprised at the depth of your own emotion and lack of ability to control it. That is what I saw in Jemmye and Preston and it was heart breaking. 

Knight's type (the type who pushes buttons just to get a reaction) is my least favorite type of person but there are people who cared about him, and have to deal with that loss. And that is sad. 

I thought the tribute to Knight was nice. I actually thought it was better than the half hour special they put together for Diem. I always liked Knight I think it is because I never felt he was playing a "role" on these shows which I always appreciate.I was surprised they didn't have Zach on this episode with all of the Jonna drama and  he was  close friends with Knight.  I know Camilla went to Knight's funeral so they were friends I think she was there mostly as moral support for Jemmye since she didn't say much.