Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Open-Ended Nature Of Unwitnessed Deaths

Tandy, you dumb. Well meaning, but so fucking dumb. The whole thing with the notes, and going bavk to Tucson...man, Tandy, why can't I stay mad?

But Angry Carol is Best Carol. I still love her artwork. (EDIT: "Homely Lonelys" was great)

The whole Shawshank roleplay was weird, but Mel Rodriguez does a pretty good Red.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Lewis is a saint. Tandy irritates him while he's grieving on his anniversary, tazes him, and opens old emotional wounds by taking him to the home he shared with his partner, yet Lewis is still kind and empathetic towards Tandy. I still find Tandy to be like 10-20% too awkward. He's better when he's at Carol levels of awkward.

Carol and Gail was so sweet. I had wondered a few weeks back if Gail ever had children. I still love Carol's need for rules and order. It is totally fitting that she'd want a grandchild for her baby.

I am so glad Tandy left some hope alive with Mike. I don't think I could have handled it if he saw Mike's body. It still read like Tandy thinks Mike is gone, but some hope is still there.

• Love 1

Where did they find a police car that could go 3000+ miles on a single tank of gas ?  And how is that gas not extra chunky ?

Tandy and his song for Lewis was so not amusing and beyond annoying.

Since we didn't actually see Mike's body he's not dead.

Carol is even more grating that normal.

Why would Melissa latch on to Shawshank role play ?  And where did that hole in the wall go, other than outside the building ?

Who fixed the wiring in the building -- none of them are electricians and Carol did a hatchet job on it last episode ?

• Love 3

This episode really dialed up the drama (in it's own maddening path to get there). It was nice to get some of Gail's past fleshed out through interactions with someone besides Tandy or Todd.

The Lewis and Tandy stuff was good too. We got a little more of Lewis's life and felt it from his perspective, obviously the initial annoyance with Tandy, but also the ultimate commiseration. It is amazing how insightful Tandy can be when he's not trying to force the issue. The stories of the billboards really rang true. I laughed out loud at Lewis' "and I was on the boat with Pat" jab.

Todd, your beautiful partner wants to role play your favourite movie. I know it's crazy bananas at the moment, but go with it!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Traveller519 said:

It is amazing how insightful Tandy can be when he's not trying to force the issue.

That's always been the problem that I've had with Tandy.  He tries way too hard, and I can see how and why it gets on people's nerves, especially when he won't take the hint and back off.

I thought Tandy was going to open the door and that Mike's body would be gone. 

I imagine they want to leave the door open for Jason Sudeikis to return some day if he wants to.

I thought this was a surprisingly sweet episode and showed rare humanity in both Tandy and Gail. Although I'm still irked everyone is still calling him "Tandy" now that I think about it. But it's good to have moments like this, even if they're few and far between, that show a sympathetic side to Tandy. He's usually such a moron it's almost impossible to watch him then he goes and does something totally unselfish like this. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

I guess I am the only sap.  I cried for Gail and Lewis and Tandy.  I know this is a silly show but what a loss.  

I cried too. I first cried when Lewis was looking at the photos in his house, and then when Carol told Gail "I love you," and vice versa.

I guess the writers idea of Phil now being called Tandy by everyone is that he is a changed man. As Phil he was a completely selfish jerk. As Tandy, yes he can be annoying, and often is, but he cares about everyone sincerely.

I think my favorite part of this ep was when Carol and Gail became like a teenage daughter and her mother. I esp loved Carol's behavior and voice. Kristen Schaal was perfect.

• Love 4

It's funny you guys mention the Tandy stuff because when he got to his housemail, I was expecting a note from Mike and was thinking it would be addressed to Phil and that it would be weird because he's totally Tandy to me now. 

5 hours ago, applecrisp said:

I guess I am the only sap.  I cried for Gail and Lewis and Tandy.  I know this is a silly show but what a loss.  

I didn't cry but I did find this episode surprisingly touching with all the talk of "leaving notes" because with everything gone, hope is one beautiful luxury they can cling to.  And with Gail and Carol admitting they love one another.

3 hours ago, sum said:

+1, though I liked the Marcia Clark reference. 

Oh I missed that. 

When Gail revealed that she'd once had a son, I started crying.

I'm actually still crying.

Very sad episode.

Where are thy living now? San Francisco? That's a 13 hour drive to Seattle.

did they camp somehwere overnight? They couldnt have driven for 13 hours straight.

And Seattle to Tucson is 24 hours by car.

• Love 2

I'm confused. I didn't see  Phil open the door to Mike's room to check if he's there. So we don't know if he died or not. Then again would he die in his own bed? 

What was the whole point of traveling til Tucson yet not getting closure?

Wow this is morbid.

Where did Melissa go?

I don't know if I actually like this show, but I keep watching it. I really think Tandy is too, too much. Maybe I'm still watching for the other characters? I thought the Gail//Carol mother/daughter bickering was an easy joke and really bothered me. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

Yeah. One season of "SUrvivor" is filmed over 39 days, and they all know each other's lives by the end of it. THese people have been together for 2 years now and still major things like Gail being a mom hasnt come up?

Where did you get 2 years from?  I don't think we know how long they've been together.  Both Carol and Erica are pregnant but not showing.  And Erica has been pregnant a long time in our timeline which makes me think their is much slower.

1 minute ago, Big Mother said:

I'm confused. I didn't see  Phil open the door to Mike's room to check if he's there. So we don't know if he died or not. Then again would he die in his own bed? 

I think he'd rather have the hope that comes with not knowing than the despair of certainty. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Big Mother said:

Wow this is morbid.

Where did Melissa go?

Tandy thought he wanted closure. Only coming face to face with it, he realized that not confirming Mike's death meant he could maintain hope, hence the title of the episode.

Melissa just escaped the confrontation by going to hide somewhere in the building via her Rita Hayworth covered escape window.

• Love 1

I don't know if others agree, but I just keep liking this show more and more.  It is hilarious and touching but mostly hilarious.  Phil/Tandy used to grate on my nerves but I like him a lot more now, especially this season so far he has been so funny.  Just love this show!

• Love 5

Why would Melissa latch on to Shawshank role play ? 

That's her and Todd's favorite movie. It was one of the things they bonded over when they first met. They were quoting from it and Phil/Tandy was -- of course -- pretending that he was totally into it too, because he was still trying to get Melissa to like him. I hope they do more callbacks, if only so I can hear Todd do his Morgan Freeman impression.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:46 AM, ally862 said:

Did anyone recognize Mark or is he just a model?  As unrealistic as it is I'd love to see him come back for Lewis.

I thought he looked a little like Zachary Quinto in the first picture, but not so much in the second.

• Love 2