Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E30: 7 Finalists Perform

• Start Topic

Caleb- Vocally there was nothing wrong with it and he's my favorite and all, but this wasn't exactly different from anything he's done before. This week he can have a pass since he didn't really get to choose the song, but one week I'd like to see him strip it way down and just sing with like an acoustic guitar or something. 

Jessica- I agreed with the judges on this one, particularly Harry. She never seems to move to the rhythm of the song at all. And vocally, she brought nothing new to the song. It sounded like a good karaoke rendition. There's nothing about her version that would make me want to buy it on iTunes when I could just listen to the original. I agree with Harry that she needs to move to the rhythm of the songs she sings more instead of awkwardly walking around all over the stage or moving out of time with the music.

CJ- Surprisingly he was in tune most of the time, so that was good. This was probably his best performance, but that's not really saying much. I still think he'll be Bottom 2 tomorrow and possibly go home

Dexter- Meh. Sounds like everything else he's done before. Nothing new here.

Alex- Great song choice for his voice and style, but again- nothing different than what he always does.

Sam- Probably his best performance on the show to date. Really strong vocally and I think he did a little better with the connection since he wasn't worried about being mauled by a bunch of teenaged girls this time

Jena- I only liked the parts where it was just her and the piano. I didn't like the part with the band at all, it got too loud and she just started shouting like she usually does. I would have preferred if the whole song was just her and the piano. But overall I guess I liked it

Duets/Trios:

Alex/Sam- I disagreed with the judges here. I really liked their rendition and that they made it more cutesy. Their harmonies were gorgeous too

Jena/Caleb- The chorus seemed off until the end. They have great energy together though

Jessica/Dexter/CJ- I may have to listen again, but I didn't hear anything go off key here. I thought they sounded really good together, especially Jessica. Her voice really stood out on this one

Prediction for B2 (if they do B2 again this week): CJ and either Dexter/Sam/Jessica

Going home: CJ

Way too much filler tonight with all the random guests, JLo's dress talk, etc. And then they ran out of time to give Jena proper critiques. Facepalm.

Welp, I guess we got our marching orders tonight, eh? Don't vote for Jess. CJ gets another week. Sam is out.

As usual, Caleb, Alex and Dexter were fine. Meaning they all did the same stuff they always do, competently.

Actually, I thought Jess was as good as she's been on a song she didn't write herself.

I expected Jena's Creep to be a fiasco (seriously, she's a cute, perky 17 yr.old!), but I liked what she did with it. She should probably stay at the piano as much as possible for the rest of the season.

They had to have 17 stray B-list celebrities  traipsing in an out all night, then they run so short of time that they can't give a decent critique for the last performer? Garbage (not that it's anything new).

And stop with the judging of the filler (the duets). Really, who cares. And again, done at the expense of the actual last performance.

I think I'm in the minority in that I like Caleb, both for his singing and his personality.

But, sweetie, please learn how to use the word "literally" correctly. I like CJ, but I am not literally swimming in a river to his heart (or whatever crazy thing he said).

• Love 1

Yeah the judges have had it out for Jess since the lives began. I actually watched the show tonight with my mom and told her exactly what was going to happen prior to it happening lol. I guess TPTB, I mean the judges, are tired of being subtle and pulled no punches tonight.

Who is Jena's vocal coach? Sylvester the Cat? She pronounced weirdo as widdle and that warranted a standing ovation?!?! Oh but she can sing anything - as long as it doesn't involve her lower register. And don't ya know she ranked on iTunes last week. They fail to mention that Alex and Sam pretty much lead week to week on iTunes.

They want these contestants to step outside of their comfort zone, but they're still performing songs they sung prior to the show. Hello producers - there's video evidence. How about next week mixing up the duets. Let Jena scream her way through a song say with Sam or try to maintain perfect pitch with CJ. Maybe she can continue to swallow/gargle her words with Dexter. I just cannot listen to her affected way of singing anymore. Sad to say she'll probably be here till the bitter end.

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 3

Who is Jena's vocal coach? Sylvester the Cat? She pronounced riddle as widdle and that warranted a standing ovation?!?!

I swear I'm not being snarky, but what do you mean? What "riddle" did she mispronounce? Do you mean a song lyric?

Sorry I meant to say weirdo not riddle lol. I was doing two things at once and accidentally typed riddle while thinking widdle. That's what I get for snarking on TCO.

Edited by yourpointis

What I can't stand this season is when they take a commerical break between performance and critique. I think the momentum is lost that way.

I agree completely- can't stand this new format where they wait until after commercial to give critiques. Makes no sense and it's kind of awkward/rude to make the contestant stand there and wait to hear their critiques. It serves no purpose, really, doing it that way.

Yeah the judges have had it out for Jess since the lives began. I actually watched the show tonight with my mom and told her exactly what was going to happen prior to it happening lol. I guess TPTB, I mean the judges, are tired of being subtle and pulled no punches tonight.

Who is Jena's vocal coach? Sylvester the Cat? She pronounced riddle as widdle and that warranted a standing ovation?!?! Oh but she can sing anything - as long as it doesn't involve her lower register. And don't ya know she ranked on iTunes last week. They fail to mention that Alex and Sam pretty much lead week to week on iTunes.

They want these contestants to step outside of their comfort zone, but they're still performing songs they sung prior to the show. Hello producers - there's video evidence. How about next week mixing up the duets. Let Jena scream her way through a song say with Sam or try to maintain perfect pitch with CJ. Maybe she can continue to swallow/gargle her words with Dexter. I just cannot listen to her affected way of singing anymore. Sad to say she'll probably be here till the bitter end.

Jena's lower register is weak but so is her upper one- she just shouts her way through the high notes and you can tell she is straining her voice. Have the vocal coaches not tried to correct this, as well as her pronunciation issues, ever? I agree her affected way of singing is annoying. The only thing I honestly like about her is that she has managed to do some good arrangements of songs and her piano playing is good. Don't like anything else about her though, from the "look" to her voice to her personality. I'm on the fence about her, really, because I've liked several of her arrangements/performances but don't like her voice, personality, or the way the stylists dress her. And I totally agree about the iTunes mention- add Caleb to that list. Faithfully reached #2 on iTunes Rock, right behind the original, but did that get a mention? Nope! In fact, that was probably the highest charting performance the whole season and I think Alex led the overall charts with Story of My Life and Fairytales. They are pimping Jena hard, but I don't see her winning, honestly. 

• Love 1

Sorry I meant to say weirdo not riddle lol. I was doing two things at once and accidentally typed riddle while thinking widdle. That's what I get for snarking on TCO.

Hah, ok. I thought that might have been what you meant :)

• Love 1

I also agree that they should have switched up the duets this time. Jena/Caleb and Alex/Sam have already sung together. I'd like to see Caleb/CJ, Jena/Jessica, and Alex/Sam/Dexter. I think it'd also be pretty funny to match up Caleb and Sam since they are like polar opposites, energy wise. Maybe Sam/Jena would be a good match too. Just something different than what's already been done, I don't care to see the same pairings over and over again.

Also, if I have to hear one more person say "I chose this song because I used to play it in bars," "it's been in my setlist for years," "We were playing it at the hotel," "I'm a huge fan of this artist," I'm going to throw my TV out the window. These guys need to stop thinking about what they were doing "before" Idol. Playing a few songs you've had in your repertoire for years is okay- doing it every week though shows you have no desire to learn anything new or go outside your comfort zone. It's like they are treating the show as just another concert at the local bar instead of a singing show. Michael and Melinda said it perfectly on Reality Check- they need to prove WHY they deserve to win over America and win a recording contract. They think what they've been doing for years was good enough for the people at the bar so it's good enough on Idol, but it's not. They've got to step outside their comfort zones and make an effort to learn some new songs or try something they normally wouldn't. It looks amateurish when they say things like "I chose this song 'cause I used to play it at the local bar back home."

• Love 4

Oh, let me just add I'm really starting to get actually irritated with all the JLo closeups. It's getting super annoying seeing her every 5 seconds during a contestant's performance. Like please, stop it already! I would like to see the contestant who's performing, not her. She gets plenty of screen time during critiques and bits in between performances. And it's annoying when they only pan to her and only very rarely, if ever, to Keith or Harry. Stop stop STOP!!!!!!

Also, I happened to notice from a quick Wiki check that every contestant had at least one of their songs chosen, except Jena. Heh. Caleb had 2 songs chosen, everyone else had one. I thought it was interesting though that Jena was the only one whose songs didn't get chosen. I actually feel bad for her that no one wanted to choose her songs.

• Love 5

I keep hoping they'll show Harry more because I keep trying to catch the little smile the contestants said indicates he likes something. So far I haven't caught it. I don't know if they don't keep the camera on him long enough or if I'm just missing it.

Oh, let me just add I'm really starting to get actually irritated with all the JLo closeups. It's getting super annoying seeing her every 5 seconds during a contestant's performance. Like please, stop it already! I would like to see the contestant who's performing, not her. She gets plenty of screen time during critiques and bits in between performances. And it's annoying when they only pan to her and only very rarely, if ever, to Keith or Harry. Stop stop STOP!!!

Yes!! So tired of that. It's actually kind of obnoxious! It drives me nuts.

• Love 2

I forgot about Caleb's ranking on iTunes BogoGog24. I don't know why I follow it, since I never buy downloads. My kids do, but they can't stand Idol. For some reason Jena just rubs me the wrong way. She doesn't seem authentic. Like she's following a script of what a cool rocker chick is supposed to be. Each season I have a few faves, they mostly never win. I can live with that. I never actually subscribe to the thought that my non faves must lose, but that I'm pulling for my faves to win. This year may in fact be the first year that I'm pulling for a contestant to lose. I think I need reality show therapy lol.

eta: It drives me crazy as well with all the JLo close ups. I know I can't speak for the whole viewing audience, but I'm sure not tuning in every week to see her reactions or her mug period. This drives me crazy during the auditions on SYTYCD. I want to see the performers, not the judges. If they have to show the judges reaction shots, then do a split screen.

I'm also glad Harry addressed the fact why he doesn't stand up after a performance. Even though he never got to finish his explanation.

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 3

I keep hoping they'll show Harry more because I keep trying to catch the little smile the contestants said indicates he likes something. So far I haven't caught it. I don't know if they don't keep the camera on him long enough or if I'm just missing it.

They are too busy panning to JLo every 10 seconds to worry about what Harry's doing. 

• Love 2

So, after two hours of watching while distracted...

I liked Caleb tonight -- it actually showed that he can perform songs that are current and relevant.

I was on a phone call during Jessica's judges comments, but I thought she did OK!

Alex remains quite the favorite of mine -- I was listening and not watching, which I think is key with his choreography and fashion choices.

Above all, I was really happy that everyone was looking out for each other on song choices.  I like that they get along, and think of what's best for the individual instead of looking out for  #1 in the competition.  Kumbaya!

• Love 1

I forgot about Caleb's ranking on iTunes BogoGog24. I don't know why I follow it, since I never buy downloads. My kids do, but they can't stand Idol. For some reason Jena just rubs me the wrong way. She doesn't seem authentic. Like she's following a script of what a cool rocker chick is supposed to be. Each season I have a few faves, they mostly never win. I can live with that. I never actually subscribe to the thought that my non faves must lose, but that I'm pulling for my faves to win. This year may in fact be the first year that I'm pulling for a contestant to lose. I think I need reality show therapy lol.

I agree. She wants people to believe so badly she is the next coming of Haley Williams/Amy Lee or something. But I don't view her in that way. She seems most authentic when she is at the piano. She reminds me of like a darker version of Angie Miller or Regina Spektor. That should be her lane. This "I'm badass and I peed my pants at my first gig with my band when I was 12" is just too try-hard and off-putting to me. It doesn't seem authentic. I think maybe it's just that phase that teen girls go through where they want to appear tough and then a few years later, they look back on it and go "Why did I dress like that?"

• Love 1

Jena's lower register is weak but so is her upper one- she just shouts her way through the high notes and you can tell she is straining her voice.

Her voice sounded thin and screamy -- and not in a good Aerosmith way -- on the duet.

I was on a phone call during Jessica's judges comments, but I thought she did OK!

I did too. I didn't notice a lack of rhythm this week because she seemed so much more engaged that my attention didn't wander so I didn't start noticing how she moved and other stuff. I also liked the way she worked with the guitarist.

I feel like the judges were just nitpicking most of the time.  I thought Jess actually was looser and relaxed and gave a good performance, and I even like that song.  I thought she sold it.  I don't know why Harry would criticize Sam's song choice when it was one of his best performances.  He's finally loosening up, too.  I started fast forwarding the commentary.

I also agree that having commercials between the performance and critique is not good.

I'm not a country music fan but, out of boredom a few nights ago, I watched a Miranda Lambert bio on TV.  She co-wrote the song and it was released as a single from her album Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.  Don't know why that stuck with me, I usually can't remember my own name!  lol

"Creep" has never, does not, and will not ever, work for a female singer.  Turrible choice for Jena.  She presented it well.  Not her fault.

Fie on TPTB for allowing time to run so short, which flustered the jidges in their critique of Jena.

I thought Alex most definitely had his best night.

The trio sure looked like a bottom three joke being played on us all by TPTB.  The exceedingly caustic judging of them only fuels my devious conspiracy-prone mind.  Any of these will be going home this week.

I thought Jena was far and away the best tonight. That performance was almost good enough that she might have squeaked into the Top 12 on this season of The Voice. Everyone else was somewhat acceptable, by the standards of this group anyway.  If I had to rank the solo performances:

1. Jena
2. Jessica
3. CJ
4. Caleb
5. Alex
6. Sam
7. Dexter

I'm as surprised as anyone that I would rank CJ that high, but I thought that might have been his best of the season.

Add me to those puzzled by the excesive criticism they heap on poor Jessica, particularly given how mediocre most of the rest of this bunch is.

As for Alex, once again he drained all the life out of a song. He has a way of rearranging songs in innovative ways. Unfortunately it’s often in ways just don't work for me.  Add in the fact that he seemed to have absolutely no connection to the lyrics he was singing.  The A Team has to be sung with emotion (the kind Jena brought tonight in spades).  Otherwise, what’s the point?

Caleb, Sam and Dexter bascially just repeated what they've been doing all along, only not as good as on some previous occasions.

• Love 1

I thought Harry's comments on the trio were unfair to Jessica, who I thought sounded fine.  It was Always Sharp and Mush Mouth who did not sound good.  I thought Harry didn't want to pick on CJ for his tone issues (again) because he had had a decent solo performance, but it wasn't really fair to make it seem as if the terrible sounding trio (and I did agree it was bad) was the fault of all three of them equally.  In fact, I thought Jessica sounded better when set against the two guys (and was it me or did Dexter also go out of tune trying to match CJ?).  But then I'm probably just cranky because while Jess isn't my favorite singer of the group, I like her well enough and we're down to only 2 women out of the 7 and it seemed like they were trying to send her home tonight when CJ and Dexter were standing right there!  Please go home CJ and Dexter, I'm tired of praising one of you for just being able to occasionally sing in tune and the other one for not sucking all of the energy out of the room with your dull blandness. 

Edited by bluedevilblue
  • Love 1

Wow, what a “meh” night.  The band was out of control last night, there were times where they completed drowned out the contestant; though I’m not sure if that’s the band’s fault or the sound engineer.

Jennifer - do NOT boo Harry.  I thought he made a very valid point when explaining to Jena that she shouldn't take Harry's lack of clapping or standing as a sign he didn't like the performance; that as a JUDGE he wants to focus on the performance and provide useful critiques.  Personally I find his approach very refreshing.

Dexter and CJ are still so mumble-mouth that I have a hard time understanding what they are singing; even when I know the words I can’t understand them.  Dexter brings nothing new to the vocals and CJ still has a difficult time staying in tune.

Jessica looked like she was mailing in that entire performance.  That being said, I did like the sound of her voice on the Miranda Lambert song.

Caleb does what Caleb always does; sings competently enough yet brings nothing new or interesting to the song.  To me he (along with Dexter) are the very definition of cover/karaoke singer.

Alex does his thing – I appreciate the fact that he stuck with the basic melody of the song changing it just enough so that it doesn’t sound like an exact copy.

Sam is improving by leaps and bounds and I can only imagine how good he will be once he’s had a solid year or three of mentor-ship to help him.  His voice sounded clear and lovely and I really thought he connected with the song.  I disagree with Harry and Keith when they suggested that Sam stick to familiar songs to help him connect.  I’ve never heard the song before and I thought Sam did a wonderful job with it.  Because I was unfamiliar the song, I really concentrated on Sam’s voice (which is wonderful).

I’m still not sure if I like Jena’s voice.  I find the tone very interesting and it makes me want to listen to her.  I am intrigued by her – so I guess that’s a good thing. 

I disagree with the judges about the critique of Sam and Alex’s duo.  I understood what the guys were trying to do and I enjoyed it.  Of all the group sings, I think these two were the best; they looked like they were having fun, were in tune, and their voices blend really well together. 

Something was completely off in the Jena-Caleb duo and I did not like that performance.   The Dexter-Jessica-CJ trio was a total train wreck; out of tune and detached.  Thank goodness Jessica was there because her lyrics were the only ones I could understand -that and the fact that she was the only one who was in tune the entire song.

Caleb- Vocally there was nothing wrong with it and he's my favorite and all, but this wasn't exactly different from anything he's done before. This week he can have a pass since he didn't really get to choose the song, but one week I'd like to see him strip it way down and just sing with like an acoustic guitar or something.

Caleb (and all the other contestants) did get to pick their own song .... they had a list of six songs to chose from.  Now the list may not have had the best options but, to me, this is no different than the producers presenting the contestants with a list of 25 songs to select from.  Additionally, I agree with Harry that it shouldn't make a difference what the song choice is - as an artist/performer it behooves you to incorporate your style into that song.  David Cook was a master of doing this - Alex does this very well; Jena to a lesser extent.  

EDIT: Because it's Miranda not Amanda.

Edited by OakGoblinFly

Jennifer Lopez is ridiculous. When Harry was explaining why he doesn't give anyone a standing ovation, and she booed him, I wanted to smack that ugly lipstick right off her face. I cannot stand her and yes, I agree that the constant shots of her watching/listening to the contestants wore thin about 8,000 times ago. I've had it with her. She adds NO value to the show whatsoever. And for the first time, I thought her hair looked like crap last night.

As for the contestants - because isn't this supposed to be about them? - at this point, I don't think any of them would make a decent winner. I like Alex and Sam just as performers unto themselves - I'd buy their music, maybe even pay to see one of them in a small, intimate venue - but I can't see either of them being a big STAR. The rest of the contestants are so off-putting in their own ways (to me) that I truly don't care who goes home, who stays, who wins. I've been watching this show since season 2 and think this is by far the worst season yet. It's cringe-worthy. I guess maybe I'm almost hate-watching it at this point?

• Love 3

I think I'm in the minority in that I like Caleb, both for his singing and his personality.

But, sweetie, please learn how to use the word "literally" correctly. I like CJ, but I am not literally swimming in a river to his heart (or whatever crazy thing he said).

I weep for America’s future – most of the contestants were pretty inarticulate.

I thought the little videos were pretty adorable - I especially liked the one with Sam and Alex proving just how much the suck at sports.

Who is Jena's vocal coach? Sylvester the Cat? She pronounced weirdo as widdle and that warranted a standing ovation?!?! 

I don't find that Jena mispronounces words - she says them quite clearly.  I find her a lot easier to understand than CJ or Dexter.

She does have this weird affectation (for lack of a better word) that causes her to stress unaccented syllables or add an extra syllable to a word ........... as I said earlier, I don't know if I quite like her voice.  I do find it unique and interesting and I am intrigued by her - I guess that's why I look forward to her performances each week.

As for the contestants - because isn't this supposed to be about them? - at this point, I don't think any of them would make a decent winner. I like Alex and Sam just as performers unto themselves - I'd buy their music, maybe even pay to see one of them in a small, intimate venue - but I can't see either of them being a big STAR. The rest of the contestants are so off-putting in their own ways (to me) that I truly don't care who goes home, who stays, who wins. I've been watching this show since season 2 and think this is by far the worst season yet. It's cringe-worthy. I guess maybe I'm almost hate-watching it at this point?

Sadly, I don't think this has been about the contestants since about season five or six.  It's about the judges and Ryan trying to shine up their star power.

It sounded to me like Jena was saying widow

She wasn't?  I don't know the song she sang, and I don't like her singing, so I wasn't really paying attention. But I kept hearing her saying something about being a widow, which I thought was odd.

I really do like Jessica's voice a lot. But there is something a little off about her. Harry's right that she has no rhythm, which is so bizarre for a singer. But she also has that go-to smile that she plasters on her face and makes her look a bit like a Village Idiot rather than connecting in any way to what she's singing or what she's hearing.

And I agree with the hate for Jennifer's reaction to Harry explaining why he never stands up. It's like when he explained why he doesn't go to rehearsals. I think Jennifer thinks he's showing her up as a judge and proving why he's better at this than she is. I mean, he is totally doing that, but not on purpose (IMO).

• Love 2

Overall, I must say that I'm finally warming up a bit to the remaining contestants, even though the top 12 seemed to be the "worst ever". While we don't have anyone with true star power, I do think there are a few who have the potential to make a decent name for themselves down the line.

On to specifics...Jessica and the bus...Yes, they are definitely being unreasonably harsh on her performances. She's not my favorite, but has a voice which can be very effective within her wheelhouse, and while she doesn't quite have the performance skills down, it seems she would be very recordable. Last night's performance seemed among her better ones, and I did like her interaction with the band members. She seems far less stiff when she is able to play off someone else, even just an instrumentalist, than just singing alone, and for this reason I also thought she shone in the trio, even though it was a mess throughout much of it, there was a spot toward the middle where the voices seemed to really mesh well, with hers as the highlight.

Jena...Agree with Harry that she is definitely a huge talent, and while I don't necessarily like her style, she has such confidence in her reworkings of the material that, especially at the piano, she seems like an established "star" (for want of a better word). That being said, I didn't care for what she did with "Creep". It's a great song, but, as someone said upthread, her performance lacked the emotional subtlety necessary to really pull it off. You can't capture self-loathing with such a grandstand performance. Too much of it was done in the screaming register (which should, ideally, be just a crescendo within the bridge). The brooding quality was lost almost completely. It was actually a very good performance, just not of that particular song.

I also pretty much hated her duet with Caleb, though I've never been a fan of the Rolling Stones, and especially of that screaming-at-each-other style. Not a "moment" at all in my book.

Caleb. Good, but nothing we have not seen from him before. It's all retread at this point, and I just don't see the authenticity in him.

Sam...Looked as though he was really beginning to grasp the basics of connection. Baby steps. He definitely has a lot of potential, and while I don't think he will win, I think there is every chance of him pulling a third place finish. Even second, if there is a shock boot or two along the way, which, with this bunch, there could be. I really enjoyed his duet with Alex, though I don't know the original song, but their voices blend really well together, and I thought they captured the vibe of just chilling and jamming with it. It doesn't need to be exciting as far as I'm concerned.

Alex...also a very talented kid. His phrasing and musicality are actually way beyond a large proportion of Idols of previous seasons, and it's too bad that he's so un-telegenic. A lot of that is actually his unease in front of a camera, though. Even though his features are pretty awkward, it can occasionally translate into an endearing sort of look when he's captured unaware of a camera being on him. If he could overcome that, and maybe lose some weight (unfortunately, though he's no more overweight than, say, Caleb, it really shows in his face, and I think if he lost just a few pounds, it might dramatically change his looks), he would probably come across as much more marketable, and he'd have a pretty decent shot at an extended post-Idol career. His performance last night, while still not anything like a departure from what he's been doing all season, was very listenable, and I agree that it's refreshing to hear something unplugged and intimate where almost everyone else is competing with bandzilla to the point that it's hard to gauge the quality of the actual vocals.

Dexter. Same old-same old. He does what he does reasonable well, but if this song was "darker" than the ones he typically does, I couldn't tell, since the lyrics were unintelligible, but the style more or less identical to everything else we've heard from him.

CJ...Very heartfelt, and mostly on-key performance. I can't say I'd buy his album, but I can't dislike him. Even when he's horribly off pitch, the quality of his voice is kind of compelling, and with a good performance this time around, he's definitely bought himself another week.

Hard to say who will go home this week. I'd say Jessica is likely if the busing served its purpose and if she doesn't have enough of a fan base dedicated to saving her. In any case, I think she and Dexter should be in the bottom two simply because they have less innate musicality than the others. Even CJ with his chronic inability to sing on key has music wired into his spirit in a way I don't see with Jess or Dexter.

Just an Alex comment, whom I love! 

When he sings he moves his feet and legs up and down and it really looks like he is trying not to pee his pants!

SNORT!  Thanks for that.  Now I have to wipe the tea of my computer screen. 

Just an Alex comment, whom I love! 

When he sings he moves his feet and legs up and down and it really looks like he is trying not to pee his pants!

We call it "bouncy marching," but it's weird and cute. He also looks like he's smelling cabbage... in a cute way. :)

Well, I must be on crack because I'd rather hear Slapout sing any day and twice on Sunday than JenaNotGina. Who is Jena trying to be? I get the sense that she's going for something, someone, but I cant' put my finger on who it is. Lorde? The hair darkening (which isn't a crime) the weird pronunciation (that makes me stabby). IDK who. Example., "Love" = "Loaf" There are others. "You fwah like a fay-theh" "Shwah" what? Get off my lawn.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

(Not sure where this belongs)

Next week's theme.....

TV Line has the scoop on next week’s American Idol 6 theme. It’s “A Little Bit Country and A Little Bit Rock N Roll.”

We’re quoting Donny and Marie Osmond now? How very hip! Heh.

The title is self explanatory. The six remaining contestants will sing TWO songs next week–one each from the country and rock n roll genres.

Everyone’s bases are covered here. Each contestant has the potential to nail at least one song, right?

I’ll be back with my song picks later. In the meantime…what are yours?

Via TV Line

I'm in your club. He seems genuine and of course can sing. I really liked his song this week. 

LMAO at Alex Pee Pants. I was thinking the same thing. He's also styled so strangely - is that a current style? 80s Ducky Look? 

I'm with Ari333 - JenaNotGina is not genuine. In fact she reminds me of a lounge/cruise singer or a low rent Demi Lovato and there's The REAL Demi right there showing how copycat she seems. And the praise heaped on her was excessive IMHO. 

Jessica is odd - her emotional state often doesn't match the music. Like when she's all happy and singing a dark lyric. That's disconcerting. 

Bless-His-Heart-C.J. finally sang in tune last night. Too little too late? 

You ever see someone's face and you just want to slap it, even though you don't know the person?  Well, that's how I feel about Jena and Caleb.

I don't know what Harry and Keith were smoking because I loved what Alex and Sam sang last night.  Plus, their individual performances were the only ones I liked.

JLo must have a clause in her contract that the camera must be on her for x number of minutes during each show.  I am so, so, sick of seeing her face.  If she doesn't mind being on camera so much, then she must be insufferable in real life

• Love 1
He [Caleb] seems genuine...

I respectfully disagree. I think this kid is as fake as the day is long. Everything he does comes off as utterly calculated to enhance his supposed "rocker" persona. He's a complete poseur. At the very beginning of the show, when they showed Randy delivering the theme to the contestants, it was Caleb who had to squeal and writhe as if he'd been tased. Gimme a break, ya big phoney.

That said, I thought his performance last night was serviceable. I was not familiar with the song but to Caleb's credit, he kept my attention to the point where I'd even consider seeking out the song on my own (not his version, but the actual artists' version). 

Still, he is Fakey McFakerson to me. 

• Love 3

You ever see someone's face and you just want to slap it, even though you don't know the person?  Well, that's how I feel about Jena and Caleb.

I don't know what Harry and Keith were smoking because I loved what Alex and Sam sang last night.  Plus, their individual performances were the only ones I liked.

JLo must have a clause in her contract that the camera must be on her for x number of minutes during each show.  I am so, so, sick of seeing her face.  If she doesn't mind being on camera so much, then she must be insufferable in real life

Holy crap get out of my very head, OhWell. hee. And I'm a JLo fan. If I'm sick of her, how do others feel? And her booing Harry is just fucking rude and juvenile.

So much word about all the other points. Has anyone in the histoire of AI been bussed as hard as Slapout last night? No really. That took the cake. Even harking back to Hollywood group week footage. I was kind of seeing Jessica's point in that that momzilla was treating Jessica (at 23) like not just a minor child, but her minor child. I'd have been steamed too. What did bug me, (per the review clips) however, was Jessica's bowed head smile while Malaya was falling apart on her singout. I know some folks smile when they're freaked out or nervous, but that was hard to watch.

I feel Jena is being forced down my throat and me no likey. Also, I really hate it when Jena talks about "next week"  like she's a sure thing and she's going to do this and that next week. At least say, "If I'm here next week" and feign some humility for cryin out loud Jesus.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I think tonight's results should be fairly revealing about the strength of fan bases and possibly how whoever is still voting feels about the OTT judges manipulation. I don't even watch the judges and the busing of Jessica and anointing of Jena was clear as day.

CJ, who I thought was a clear front runner to go home this week had probably his best performance. It wasn't OMG good or anything but it was mostly in tune, he sold his I'm so connected to the music face well and he was likable in his package. Mush mouth enunciation really bugged, but if he has any sort of fan base he might get a reprieve.

Sam was also better this week, though I still find him boring and have already forgotten what he sang.

Alex was solid, but not spectacular.

Dexter & Jessica had very meh performances. Neither was really bad, but neither was memorable. Not sure the snarly, rowdy Dexter is what his fans want. Reaction to his ballads seems generally more positive.

Jessica was mostly vocally ok, though her pitch was a bit off on the verses. Didn't convey the attitude or energy of the song very well. Didn't deserve the busing she got, but it was one of her weaker performances.

Caleb sounded a bit rough on the lower parts of the song, but was ok on the rest. Not my favorite of his.

Jena was ok, but Creep is sooooooo played out on talent shows. I actually like her voice, but her styling is distracting and her singing style has too many affectations. The OTT pimping by the judges leaves a bad taste as well.

Duets: Jena & Caleb was ok. Their voices blend well and their harmonies were mostly good. Others were both terrible. I assume Sam & Alex were doubling the lead on purpose, but I don't get why because it sounded silly and bland. The trio....hated the song and CJ was off pitch per usual. Just a hot mess.

Random parade of celebrities was just weird. This show is becoming of mockery of itself.

Unless Jessica gets sympathy votes due to the busing, I'm guessing a b2 of Jessica & Sam/Dexter/CJ.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1

The song Jessica performed is a Pistol Annies song, not a Miranda Lambert song.  Miranda Lambert is a member of the group, but she is not the lead singer.

It is not a Pistol Annies song, it's a Miranda Lambert song. It's on her 2007 album Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I respectfully disagree. I think this kid is as fake as the day is long. Everything he does comes off as utterly calculated to enhance his supposed "rocker" persona. He's a complete poseur. At the very beginning of the show, when they showed Randy delivering the theme to the contestants, it was Caleb who had to squeal and writhe as if he'd been tased. Gimme a break, ya big phoney.

That said, I thought his performance last night was serviceable. I was not familiar with the song but to Caleb's credit, he kept my attention to the point where I'd even consider seeking out the song on my own (not his version, but the actual artists' version). 

Still, he is Fakey McFakerson to me. 

I don't think those things, especially his reaction to the theme, make him fake- just that he likes attention. He's my favorite and everything but even I can admit he seems like an attention whore. He's probably always been like that, that loud and obnoxious kid that always has to be the center of attention. Some people think he's following a "script" of what a rocker "should" be and that could be why he comes off calculated. I don't think he sits there thinking "I'm gonna spin the mic stand here and whip my hair here", but to some extent he may have a preconceived notion of what a stereotypical rocker should look, act, and sound like and he thinks that's what he needs to do.