Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Heartless

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, CCTC said:

One nice thing about the new curse, Snow and Charming will have to have individual scenes with different people and will not simply be trotted out as one unit - a conjoined couple who are treated as one person by the writers.

Dollars to donuts, we still won't have 2 minutes worth of individual Snow/Emma or David/Emma screentime during their sleeping curse split.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Euri said:

The other was about the sleeping curse.  While I love the twist on it (ingenious!) it seems to contradict what was already established during S4E17 that once someone is under a sleeping curse they can't go back under again.  Both Snow and Charming have been under a previous sleeping curse, so this shouldn't have worked.  Maybe that memo didn't get passed down, but I do wish there was a person whose job was just to make sure that kind of stuff doesn't happen. 

Not to mention, you're not supposed to be able to put other people under sleeping curses. It should only work when taken voluntarily. 

1 hour ago, Curio said:

The whole point of that episode was to show how Snow and Charming were unaffected by Mal's sleeping curse because they'd already been put under before, so are the writers throwing out all continuity because of this shiny new idea? Henry was unaffected by Mal's sleeping curse as well in 4x17, so it's not like Mal was specifically targeting Snow and Charming because she wanted to punish them for what they did with the eggbaby. Or maybe that's what the writers will say on Twitter.

I don't remember the logistics of the sleeping curse and whether someone who was under it can't be put under it again, but back in season 4, it wasn't the sleeping curse Mal enacted. It was a sleeping spell. They're different. Those that were under the sleeping curse are not affected by it, while those that weren't like Emma and Hook were. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

I will say, I am alright with Snow and Charming meeting up before they officially met up, its by far not the silliest ret con they have thrown in. Its really alright by by. However, I do have to laugh a bit at the continued feeling that this isn't the Enchanted Forest, its the Forrest of Coincidence*! 

I also forgot about the Rum comment by Hook with the magic water. Oh Hook, this is why I love you. "Water? Gross! i`m never letting go of my precious alcohol! Thats the real health food! Have it for breakfast instead of poptarts"! 

*I`m always looking for a Galavant reference. 

• Love 5

Okay, I am liking this EQ...I would have preferred she took both of them out, but thank you, thank you, thank you...we now will only have one of those dullards on screen talking at a time..(at least for a while!)  Other great things...Henry didn't open his maw and talk once, and we now have one or my new favorite scene...everyone grossing out on Rump and Regina....Regina.."We have always had..chemistry."
 (everyone makes a STANK face) "What's the matter did someone fart or something?" People, its stuff like this that keeps me coming back despite everything else!

But before they are taken out of my misery....the Charmings EARNED their fate by once again, doing the dumbest thing possible. Emma and Regina had it covered you idiots..you know, the two super powerful magic users..against one pure embodiment of evil..the odds were in their favor.  I just can't believe that no one else besides evil people call them out on their stupidity.

Also, why did anyone take the EQ's threat seriously? If Regina died..she dies. Also, Henry would have gotten it to (well there is always a silver lining...)

Good episode which focused on one thing....so writers..keep it simple stupid!

Edited by Mitch
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I will say, I am alright with Snow and Charming meeting up before they officially met up, its by far not the silliest ret con they have thrown in.

I like the pre-meeting. It actually covers an area of their history that hasn't been done to death, bridging the gap between Fugitive Snow and Bandit Snow. It fits in well with what we saw in the time travel adventure, with Snow trying to book passage away. And the pre-meeting even explains some of the love at first sight, if they maybe picked up on some subtle subconscious clues from the pre-meeting that had them predisposed to have feelings for each other when they really met. My only complaint is the idea of the magic baby tree thing formed out of True Love before they even met. That was taking things rather over the top.

It was also a little weird that Snow talked about having heard of a port town nearby. Isn't she in her own kingdom still? Wouldn't she have known for sure that her kingdom had a port town? Why was she talking about having heard of it rather than absolutely knowing that her kingdom had a port? And did she say the name of the town was Longbourn? That would be Jane showing her Jane Austen fandom, as that's the home of the Bennet family in Pride and Prejudice.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

My only complaint is the idea of the magic baby tree thing formed out of True Love before they even met. That was taking things rather over the top.

I think that had more to do with the maybe the whole concept of people being meant to be. 

I still don't get what the sapling was supposed to do.

My only complaint is the idea of the magic baby tree thing formed out of True Love before they even met. That was taking things rather over the top.

My question is...where are all the other saplings? Charming and Snow meet through the door of a wagon and a spark of love creates the sapling. Okay....but Storybrooke is full of True Loves.  Apparently, Belle and Rumple have True Love prior to the curse (so their Sapling of Love should have been transported). Regina and Robin met in the Enchanted Forrest, but that was before curse number 2. Hook and Emma are TL (they first met pre-second curse in the Enchanted Forrest).  What about the TL between Henry and his mothers? Where are his twin trees?

And did she say the name of the town was Longbourn? That would be Jane showing her Jane Austen fandom, as that's the home of the Bennet family in Pride and Prejudice.

Yes, they did. It had me wondering if Darcy and Elizabeth would be having un-told stories too.

Edited by kili
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

How was there enough death water to cover all of Storybrooke, anyway?

They have a vial of it, why didn't they just douse EQ with it or Rumple? Rumple was scared of the River of Lost Souls, and he brought some with him, probably for rainy days. Put it in his tea or something.

5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

They have a vial of it, why didn't they just douse EQ with it or Rumple? Rumple was scared of the River of Lost Souls, and he brought some with him, probably for rainy days. Put it in his tea or something.

Yeah. Everyone was so scared of EQ in this episode all of a sudden. Not sure why Regina and Emma couldn't incapacitate her. I guess they tried, but Snowing interrupting with their sacrifice was dumb. A villain is threatening to kill us all... better give up! Never encountered this scenario before!

Snow: "Psh, we've dealt with the Evil Queen before. Who cares about her threats?"

6x07 Snow: "Oh my GOSH! SHES GOT KILLER WATER. She finally got us!"

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Why did the whole town even bother to show up at the cemetery, anyway? A villain invites you somewhere, do you actually show up? Did they think it was regular Regina? Even so, why show up? I'd be hunkering down in my basement with my bottled water.

I wonder if that was the plan, to put it in the town's water supply? But then why gather everyone at the cemetery? Why not at the water tower or water treatment facility? Or the well? Then the threat's more dramatic -- Hand over your hearts or I drop this in the well, and then the town's water will kill anyone who touches it! And then you don't need the town present other than as reminders of what's at stake.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

He has a whole water truck filled with that river water. How did he bring it with him? Your questions... etc. etc.

16 minutes ago, kili said:

Yes, they did. It had me wondering if Darcy and Elizabeth would be having on-told stories too.

God, please no!! They'd better not touch Austen! lol

5 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Yeah. Everyone was so scared of EQ in this episode all of a sudden. Not sure why Regina and Emma couldn't incapacitate her. I guess they tried, but Snowing interrupting with their sacrifice was dumb. A villain is threatening to kill us all... better give up! Never encountered this scenario before!

Yeah--they didn't even try. If Regina and the EQ exert the same amount of magical force (as per JE on Twitter), Emma could've easily subdued her while the twin-halves were wrestling with each other. They should've been shown as having tried and failed. Maybe have Gold show up in support of Queenie as part of their...mutual give and take deal. Not even trying makes the heroes look stupid as usual, not noble, as presumably was intended.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

He has a whole water truck filled with that river water. How did he bring it with him? Your questions... etc. etc.

Yeah--they didn't even try. If Regina and the EQ exert the same amount of magical force (as per JE on Twitter), Emma could've easily subdued her while the twin-halves were wrestling with each other. They should've been shown as having tried and failed. Maybe have Gold show up in support of Queenie as part of their...mutual give and take deal. Not even trying makes the heroes look stupid as usual, not noble, as presumably was intended.

Snow is only hopeful half the time. Sometimes she never stops, and others she prepares to die. Whenever Emma is in a bad situation, she tells herself to have hope like her mother would. But, in reality, her mother would probably be chanting "the end is near!"

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Very true, plus....plus, it would have been a camptastic scene of having Lana fight Lana...hand to hand..(THAT is where their CGI budget should to to) .also they paid the Blue actress..why doesnt she put in her fire power to help subdue the Queen? They get her powerless and just then, Rump or Zelena step in and foil them..THEN the dimbulb Charmings can make their sacrifice.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Euri said:

A couple of continuity errors bothered me a bit.  The first was small and has already been mentioned before, but it was odd to see Shepherd David without long hair.  That took some adjusting.  I mean, we know the last wig was terrible, could he have at least gotten a better wig??

I've seen this brought up a lot.  David was first seen with the long hair in Season 4, with the Frozen arc.  In The Shepherd, when we first meet his Enchaned Forest counterpart, his hair was short, but shaggy.  I just assumed this took place sometime between the two, and he had just cut his hair - it just hadn't grown back in yet.

Here's a screenshot

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

Yes! Show them fighting her or trying. Or if not give a reason why they can't.  For example back in season one when Regina learned that killing Emma would undo her curse. They don't do either and it looks dumb. Why are they just standing there? Why doesn't Regina fight or attempt to every time she runs into the Evil Queen. Why aren't they showing Regina or anyone coming up with ways to defeat her or trying too? 

Watched yesterday finally.  Mostly what everyone else has already said - especially about the Gold/EQ reaction shots!  Lol. 

On 11/6/2016 at 10:11 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Basically they are excising Beauty and the Beast from  the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale.  

Oh, Please.  Pleasepleaseplease.  This could be my Christmas present this year.  :)

On 11/7/2016 at 5:13 AM, PixiePaws1 said:

There was an axe.....and Charming goes for the metal lock...on the WOODEN door....!

Yeah, I couldn't understand why Snow was trying to kick through the end with the metal bar across it, versus one of the plain wooden sides....

• Love 4
6 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Jane said on Twitter that The Evil Queen had more than the vial, but as you pointed out, that still doesn't answer the question since I don't recall Rumple carrying gallons of the stuff when he was leaving the Underworld.  Unless he filled Pandora's Box with it along with Belle, LOL.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

It actually covers an area of their history that hasn't been done to death, bridging the gap between Fugitive Snow and Bandit Snow.

Yes, that was one of the minor questions that had not been answered yet - why did Snow decide to become a bandit.  A few seasons ago, I had expected a Robin Hood/Snow flashback to explain that.  Here's hoping she got that broach back.

• Love 2

I'm still confused why Blue couldn't have sold the brooch for her. Since this was the beginning of Bandit!Snow, she should also have been friends with Granny and Red by that point, so they were also better options to sell her jewelry. I've tried to stop caring about this stuff, but they make it so hard to watch when logic flies out the window.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

I'm still confused why Blue couldn't have sold the brooch for her. Since this was the beginning of Bandit!Snow, she should also have been friends with Granny and Red by that point, so they were also better options to sell her jewelry. I've tried to stop caring about this stuff, but they make it so hard to watch when logic flies out the window.

Good point.  Was Blue out of fairy dust again?  Couldn't she freeze the axe?  I mean, Snow almost died when that guy threw it at her, and all Blue could say was "Watch out"?  And how was turning big supposed to help?  Why did she just fly off and let Snow travel on her own?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I liked this one. Nice flashbacks even if the woodsman was a crap assassin though.

Any intimate scene with Evil Queen and Rumple is one of the sick bucket. Stop this thing at once.

Another week, another moment where Belle just lectures her estranged hubby on his crappy behaviour. I did find Zelena's jealousy amusing enough even if Belle put a target on her there.

Evil Queen finally came up with an effective sleeping curse for both Snow and Charming, good twist, 7/10

• Love 1

Thanks for reminding me about that episode. The whole point of that episode was to show how Snow and Charming were unaffected by Mal's sleeping curse because they'd already been put under before, so are the writers throwing out all continuity because of this shiny new idea? Henry was unaffected by Mal's sleeping curse as well in 4x17, so it's not like Mal was specifically targeting Snow and Charming because she wanted to punish them for what they did with the eggbaby. Or maybe that's what the writers will say on Twitter.

And if you want to get technical about the sleeping curse . . . Regina had to acquire the sleeping curse from Maleficent - she traded it for the Ultimate Curse she used to eventually create StoryBrooke. (She got that curse back from Maleficent after Charming woke Snow from the sleeping curse). So apparently Regina was not able to conjure up this curse on her own. She had to get it from Maleficent. Where did she get it this time? If she can just conjure up a sleeping curse whenever she wants, why did she have to get it from Maleficent originally?

It was also a little weird that Snow talked about having heard of a port town nearby. Isn't she in her own kingdom still? Wouldn't she have known for sure that her kingdom had a port town?

They've never done a good job of explaining the geography of these various kingdoms, but since she ran into David I'm going to assume it was the other kingdom - the one David eventually became prince of, after his twin brother died.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They've never done a good job of explaining the geography of these various kingdoms, but since she ran into David I'm going to assume it was the other kingdom - the one David eventually became prince of, after his twin brother died.

Still, it's in walking distance, and she's a princess, so surely she'd have visited other kingdoms. Her having "heard of" a port town within walking distance is worse than an American talking about having heard of New York or Boston rather than just knowing that New York and Boston are there. It was a weird way of phrasing that, rather than her just saying she was going to go to Longbourn, where she could book passage to a place where Regina couldn't reach her.

I finally was able to sit and watch the complete episode.

I thought it was the best episode in a long time.  Even though you know they will somehow reverse the curse, it felt like there were real consequences at the end.  They did a good job re-establishing Snow and Charming and their connection, so they fate that was assigned to them did seem esp. cruel.  The EQ was genuinely creepy (some great shots of her lurking in the opening scene) and seemed to be someone who was a real threat.  They did some nice work with the quick flashbacks when they touched the (useless) sapling and the shot of the kiss and the curse transferring to Snow to Charming at the end was well done.  Also, the dog ruled.  

I know people don't care for Regina, and she has whined a lot in the past, and in real life she should probably be in the town jail for her past crimes, but I thought she is doing a better job of sincerely seeming guilt-stricken and remorseful for what she has done and what is being done to people she now kind of cares about.  Yes -- technically she could have stopped the sacrifice by taking the EQ out by sacrificing herself, but logic has never been the show's strong point.

Not that it was a masterpiece, but it seemed to have a bit more depth to it than most of the episodes the last few years.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

And if you want to get technical about the sleeping curse . . . Regina had to acquire the sleeping curse from Maleficent - she traded it for the Ultimate Curse she used to eventually create StoryBrooke. (She got that curse back from Maleficent after Charming woke Snow from the sleeping curse). So apparently Regina was not able to conjure up this curse on her own. She had to get it from Maleficent. Where did she get it this time? If she can just conjure up a sleeping curse whenever she wants, why did she have to get it from Maleficent originally?

She was able to make it herself in 3B as well. Maybe once she got a sample from Mal, she was able to work back and figure out the ingredients. ;-)

I was actually surprised that Snow, David, and Regina didn't think of just picking up the pieces of the sapling to see if magic could be salvaged from it.  Back in episode three of season two, when Emma torched the wardrobe that could've gotten herself and Snow home just to stop Cora from using it, Cora returned and got the ashes from it to make her own portal, anyway.  So who's to say there wasn't still magic to be salvaged from the sapling's pieces?

Edited by Michel
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Michel said:

I was actually surprised that Snow, David, and Regina didn't think of just picking up the pieces of the sapling to see if magic could be salvaged from it.  Back episode three of season two, when Emma torched the wardrobe that could've gotten herself and Snow home just to stop Cora from using it, Cora returned and got the ashes from it to make her own portal, anyway.  So who's to say there wasn't still magic to be salvaged from the sapling's pieces?

At the very least throw the dust into The Evil Queen's eyes and hope it burns.

We'll probably see Rumple collecting the ash next episode or something.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

Blue still remains shady to me. She couldn't do anything for them in Storybrooke, but she sent them to this sapling they had no idea how to use.

The only shady part was not mentioning earlier when The Evil Queen came to town.  It looked like a wand, but yeah, how was it supposed to trap The Evil Queen?  Would Snow waving it have done it?  Did she need to say some magical words?

Maybe this deleted scene might help:

NOVA: Blue, why are you collecting the dust from the Sapling of True Love?

BLUE: I feel like having a green smoothie, and apparently, the taste of this sapling is so fresh it's out of this world.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

While I liked this episode, looking back at "Snow Falls", it is highly unlikely that Charming wouldn't have put the two and two together and figured out that he had met Snow before.  I mean, he even had Snow's wanted poster in "Snow Falls", so he knew she was on the run.  He knew she was a thief, and he was very black and white about it.

The following line was supposed to make the Sapling of True Love relevant, but it makes no sense: "We don't have the sapling, but we don't need it.  It's done its work.  We know our love is more powerful than anything you can throw at us."  It's done what work?  As usual, I have no idea whether Snow or Charming said it since their dialogue is interchangeable.

"Emma, most people go through life never knowing where their paths will take them, but somehow we always do."

Yeah, it's called predictable writing.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

I think the sapling's purpose for Snowing was to freshly remind them of the power of their love. Snow specifically commented on it..which I (probably over optimistically !l) took as a signpost for a future purpose. Possibly that Emma and Killian's TL sapling could play a part in helping to break her parent's curse or in saving Emma's life....don't know how. Snow felt the power of it when both of Snowing touched it....TLK as in True Lumber Kiss? Tree Love's Kiss....as in if Emma takes on her parents' curse Killian has to whack her with their own sapling...!

I still smell MacGuffin....

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Can someone remind me why Zelena was jealous of EQ and Rumple?

In Zelena's Sad Backstory Episode, she seemed to glom onto Rumple in a weird kind of semi-incestuous Daddy Issues way. She was living with him and learning magic from him, then the thing that turned her green in the first place was her learning that he was still teaching Regina, even though she was there, and he still planned to groom Regina to cast the curse. She wanted to be the chosen one to cast the curse, and she didn't grasp that Rumple couldn't use her to cast the curse because it required the sacrifice of the thing you love most, and for her that was him. It wouldn't do him any good for her to cast the curse if she had to sacrifice him. But logic was entirely lost on her, and it didn't seem to matter to her that she was living in his castle and getting lots of attention from him if he was still teaching Regina at all and still planning to use Regina for the curse. So she turned green and went off in a huff. I don't know how romantic/sexual her interest in him really is, but she's always been jealous of any attention he pays to Regina.

• Love 1

It wasn't Rumpel that set Zelena off. It was that the Evil Queen was running some new play and Zelena wasn't a part of it. She thought she was the Evil Queen's partner. The number one person in her life. That's how the Evil Queen was positioning herself with Zelena. She played on all of Zelena's need to be loved and compared herself to Regina pointing out how she loved Zelena as wicked and how they were perfect sisters. Once Rumpel entered the equation, Zelena figured she was being sidelined again and the jealousy of not being number one came out.

"We were supposed to be a team. No secrets. Spa days and sisterhood. We were gonna run over this town together. And now what? He's riding on your handlebars and I'm just sitting in the sidecar?"

• Love 4

I think it's mostly Zelena's free-range jealousy. Someone (especially Regina) is getting something she isn't getting. It might be intensified by the fact that Rumple's involved, since Zelena has a history of jealousy over his interest in Regina, but if there were no evil queen and Zelena was roomies with Regina, she'd probably flip out if Regina hung out with Snow too much and she felt left out. Regina (or a version of her) with Rumple is pushing all of Zelena's jealousy buttons -- Regina's getting something she isn't getting, Regina is abandoning her, and Regina is getting Rumple's attention. It's a repeat of her initial greening (Rumple choosing Regina over her), with an added sense of personal betrayal because now she has (or thought she had) a sisterly relationship with the Evil Queen.

• Love 1

It wasn't Rumpel that set Zelena off. It was that the Evil Queen was running some new play and Zelena wasn't a part of it. She thought she was the Evil Queen's partner. The number one person in her life. That's how the Evil Queen was positioning herself with Zelena. She played on all of Zelena's need to be loved and compared herself to Regina pointing out how she loved Zelena as wicked and how they were perfect sisters. Once Rumpel entered the equation, Zelena figured she was being sidelined again and the jealousy of not being number one came out.

I too thought she was jealous about Rumple, but this makes more sense.  I totally missed it when I watched the episode, though.  Since Zelena didn't go off the handlebar in the previous scene in the kitchen when she mentioned Rumple dropping by, but she had a cow when she saw The Evil Queen making out with Rumple.  This makes Zelena seem even more of a needy idiot, though.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I hate that they reduced the Wicked Witch of the West, one of the biggest bads of them all, into a needy high school girl. Though I hate that they turned the slinky Evil Queen of the movie into a over the top cartoon and then a whiny mope hoping to be a hero and crying at the drop of a hat.   Actually I hate that they turned sneaky bitch on wheels cool customer Mayor Mills into a whiner. Come to the think of it, the only female villain who was allowed to have power and not be a sad sack is Ingrid, who was all bad up to, "Ooops my bad!" and took care of business the way a powerful regretful villainous should.

• Love 2

Well, yes, but that would require the writers and showrunners to do a little pregnancy research and use math skills.

This show has a decided antipathy towards both research and math.  In-show, logic or not, it's not been nearly as long as it should've been.

• Love 1

They did give us a timeline for this with Belle's pregnancy and the whole ultrasound. Hook was dead for approximately 7 weeks since that baby was conceived on the night of his death. Zelena's baby is probably around 9-10 weeks old at the most.

• Love 1

Wow there were some weird acting choices in this. I always forget to look at Directors but I can only assume they were the ones to blame. Emma spent the entire episode looking like she'd overdosed on prozac. Snow and Charming had these irritatingly beatific expressions on their faces the whole time. I wanted to tear their hearts out. Not to mention the strange scene at the beginning where Belle was there for no reason and then abruptly left mid-sentence so she wouldn't be there when Regina was discussing her and Gold's "chemistry".

Also, ew. Also, Hook for the win. Again. 

This episode was so completely pointless. I thought the sapling revelation was going to give Snow and Charming a clue to defeating the EQ and they were going to confront her at the end because they had a plan. And then they just stood there with stupid smug looks on their faces while she cursed them. I mean, I like the curse the EQ gave them. It was pretty cool. But seriously? That was it?

Apparently True Love produces magic saplings and morons. No wonder Hook and Emma's kisses never work. They're too awesome. 

Edited by AudienceofOne
Sentences that begin should also finish
  • Love 3

I rewatched the scene where Regina tells everyone about Golden Queen. It still cracks me up. I realized Blue was still in the room, and she probably gagged a little. Henry's expression was a facepalm without the palm. Such disappointment. I really loved it when the characters and the audience could agree on something for once.

• Love 1