Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Election Day

When corporate sends out a voting guide that only benefits the company's interests, Amy and Jonah work together to put out a rival pamphlet until Jonah's personal life gets in the way. Dina and Glenn are stuck in an accidental cover up while Mateo goes to great lengths to hide his undocumented status.

I think I'm a little too stressed about the actual election to find the ballot-box mishap funny, but I really like the continuing theme of Cheyenne knowing everyone's secrets.

It was nice to see the guy who cut off his thumb came back! Too bad he's kind of a creep, though.

Not sure I like what's happening with Jonah and Amy - I like them as friends, but don't really see a lot of chemistry between the two of them. I know Amy's marriage is supposed to be unhappy, buy it's okay to have a workplace story that doesn't have a romantic subplothe.

Also, I really liked Glenn'so skittishness around the U-word - nice callback to the finale/premiere.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, swimmyfish said:

Not sure I like what's happening with Jonah and Amy - I like them as friends, but don't really see a lot of chemistry between the two of them. I know Amy's marriage is supposed to be unhappy, buy it's okay to have a workplace story that doesn't have a romantic subplothe.

I hope they stay friends. It IS possible for a man and woman to be just friends. During my career probably 75% of the people I worked with were men, and I counted a lot of them as friends.

• Love 1

My favorite scene of the show was actually the guy driving the kid "off the road" and into the display of boxes. As someone who did time in retail I love the background gags of customers doing crazy things while they shop and how it's pretty much just ignored or shrugged off and treated as normal. Both absurdist and depressingly realistic.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

My favorite scene of the show was actually the guy driving the kid "off the road" and into the display of boxes.

That was Jimmie Johnson.

Loved the episode, but I wish they would drop the UST between Jonah and Amy.

Edited by Kip Hackman
12 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Not sure I like what's happening with Jonah and Amy - I like them as friends, but don't really see a lot of chemistry between the two of them. I know Amy's marriage is supposed to be unhappy, buy it's okay to have a workplace story that doesn't have a romantic subplot.

I really like them as friends too, but in the last few episodes we're basically turned them into Jim and Pam from The Office. Jonah's new girlfriend might as well have been named Purse Girl. I don't think you put your characters onto that path if you're not looking to pay it off. I would rather we don't go there with them but if there isn't a shift soon, I can't see this plot going any other way.

• Love 2

It was nice to see the guy who cut off his thumb came back!

Oh was that him? Marcus, right? I didn't remember him.

Once again (after the dog adoption episode) - I must ask, do they really have election polling places in big box stores like Cloud 9? I knew when that guy said they were short 50 ballots that lady was going to say it was an improvement over last year. 

I loved Mateo's attempts to get an "I voted" sticker, and Dina and Glenn trying to get the other to confess on tape. Dina does an excellent Glenn impression. "Stop making me say that!"

Yeah, the Jonah and Amy relationship is getting really awkward right now. 

Cheyenne is only 17?? "It's funny because I can drink but I can't vote yet."

• Love 3

Once again (after the dog adoption episode) - I must ask, do they really have election polling places in big box stores like Cloud 9? I knew when that guy said they were short 50 ballots that lady was going to say it was an improvement over last year. 

I loved Mateo's attempts to get an "I voted" sticker, and Dina and Glenn trying to get the other to confess on tape. Dina does an excellent Glenn impression. "Stop making me say that!"

I don't know, but I've seen 2 different shows with election polling places in a store and what appeared to be someone's garage(!?).  Glenn and Dina trying to tape each other might've been the funniest part of a good episode.

Amy's face when Mateo tried to get the sticker was hilarious, as well as his response... "I'm trying to touch your breast."  

I must be an outlier, but I like Amy and Jonah together.  They have quite a few similar interests and by and large, similar personalities.  I do think this ep went a little too far with the out of nowhere "towel girl" and the out of nowhere strong jealousy by Amy.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, nasir jones said:

Amy's face when Mateo tried to get the sticker was hilarious, as well as his response... "I'm trying to touch your breast."  

While certainly inappropriate, Mateo has outed himself so at least it wasn't sexual in nature. 

44 minutes ago, nasir jones said:

I must be an outlier, but I like Amy and Jonah together.  They have quite a few similar interests and by and large, similar personalities.  I do think this ep went a little too far with the out of nowhere "towel girl" and the out of nowhere strong jealousy by Amy.

I do too, but the fact that Amy is already married puts Jonah in the position of being a homewrecker. Are lead male and female characters not allowed to have a platonic friendship? Can't they just be work spouses? We already know it's going to come to a head where one of them makes a move (or worse) and then it gets all awkward. 

• Love 2

So funny and timely! I was just in a discussion this week about how much junk mail I receive that is actually propaganda from one group or another. One group even has a badge with the word "Cops" emblazoned on it placed on the cover of the flyer. But it's not even a real law enforcement organization. And it promotes everything that true law enforcement is against. 

I loved Garrett and the "supertrain".  I wonder if that was a dig out our "bullet train " here in California. Otherwise called "the train to nowhere" or the "crony train".

i was confused at the end when Amy was so excited that they helped their candidate win. Meanwhile, the poll workers were still counting up the ballots. So, the votes cast in the store actually didn't help the candidate anyway. 

• Love 1

I don't know about polling locations at stores, restaurants, or neighborhood driveways, all of which were parts of sitcoms last week, but senior centers, community centers, schools, and churches, are all common, so maybe? I do know, no store is going to tell you who to vote for, that's wrong on two levels. From the retail perspective, they will sure as hell tell you the evils of unions, but that's as far as they will go. Most chains have enough class action lawsuits against them as it is, they aren't looking for more. And from the voting perspective, maybe states differ, but in Ohio it's illegal to have your employer or union rep with you while voting, it's illegal to hand out literature within 100 yards of the doors of the location, and it's technically illegal to take the literature they hand you or you get sent in the mail into the voting booth with you, although that one tends to get ignored. You want to take a cheat sheet with you, poll workers will tend to let you, but they will check the booth before and after you vote to make sure nothing is left in there. 

Mateo and Cheyenne working to get him a sticker was funny, as was him trying to steal Amy's sticker and feeling her up instead. I am not a Glen fan, but the dueling impressions with Dina was good. Poor thumb guy wanting to be one of the cool kids and getting shut down. 

I cracked up at the woman who changed clothes in the voting booth, thinking it was a changing room.

I think Mateo's story was really lame. Has he voted before? If he did, he can continue voting, undocumented or not. If he didn't? Can't he just say that he's not registered? What was he so scared of?

Ummmmm Jonah is seeing someone? Why did we not know that? What's up with that???

Edited by Big Mother
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Big Mother said:

I cracked up at the woman who changed clothes in the voting booth, thinking it was a changing room.

I think Mateo's story was really lame. Has he voted before? If he did, he can continue voting, undocumented or not. If he didn't? Can't he just say that he's not registered? What was he so scared of?

Ummmmm Jonah is seeing someone? Why did we not know that? What's up with that???

Yea..Jonah's girlfriend seemed to be a surprise. I'm thinking they manufactured that to create some "friction" between him and Amy. But, I'm one of those who don't see chemistry between them anyway and really hoped they could be just friends.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:40 PM, DrScottie said:

I do too, but the fact that Amy is already married puts Jonah in the position of being a homewrecker. Are lead male and female characters not allowed to have a platonic friendship? Can't they just be work spouses? We already know it's going to come to a head where one of them makes a move (or worse) and then it gets all awkward. 

Worse is that it would make Amy a cheater.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

How likely is it that all of the employees would have the same polling place? People who live a quarter mile from me vote in entirely different locations. The store might not even have been the place Matteo would be voting at, much less every single person we saw working there on Election Day. 

• Love 2

The Jonah/Amy subplot is almost identical to a Jim/Pam plot from season one of The Office ("Hot Girl," in case anyone's wondering). Not that I'm complaining. Did not like the extreme passive aggressiveness by Amy at the end, though. That was one of the things I liked least about Pam on The Office. 

I think Jonah and Amy have good chemistry, but she could really do better than pretentious Jonah. I bet we're headed for an Amy's husband is a cheater storyline, to pave the way for Jonah/Amy.

2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

For all the work that Mateo went through to get a sticker, weren't the poll workers just handing them out to the kids in one of those "in-between the scenes" bumpers?

I think that was the joke.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

That's what I love about this show, all the stuff that is going on in the background is hilarious!

Yes, if I try to do anything else while watching, I always miss something clever.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

It did feel like a bit of a throwback to around 30 years ago. I don't think most polling places have "booths" anymore with curtains and paper ballots. Don't almost all the states have electronic machines now?

17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

We use paper ballots here, and booths with curtains. I've never even seen one of the electronic machines.

I miss the voting booths with the curtains and the mechanical levers. I hate the electronic voting machines.

• Love 1

I live in a mail in ballot district. So I usually vote a couple of weeks before any election. But of the voting places I've been in through my city and county, they appear to all be paper ballots (fill in the box with a pen) and booths with curtains.

On 11/4/2016 at 2:44 PM, nasir jones said:

I'm an outlier too but I'm a sucker for any will they won't they relationship that gets thrown at me.  I agree that the girlfriend came out of nowhere but I totally buy the jealousy out of nowhere.  I actually met my husband while we were working retail together.  I knew he had a girlfriend and kept thinking, "I could see this guy being one of my best friends".  One day a girl came in and asked me if he was there though and when I realized it was girlfriend I was crushed and so jealous!  I called ny best friend and said "crap, I really like this guy" (I'd told her about him) and she was like "yeah you do.  I've been waiting for you to realize that.

• Love 2