Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/24/2016

Athena
  • Start Topic

I didn't dislike Raven (I think her only being on a few times a month), but I won't miss her. 

There was interesting body language when they went to commercial. Joy and Raven were talking and Whoopi and Candace were having a conversation. Jedediah was sitting on the end doing her own thing. 

• Love 2

What? I missed Raven saying she's leaving?! Why do I always miss the good stuff?! First I miss CCB getting put in her place by Michael Moore and now I miss this?! I have to do better.

So how did she say it? She's leaving as in today was her last day? I can't say I'm shocked. Maybe they are starting to clean house. I honestly don't see us getting rid of Jedawhatever. I think her style is what they like. I think it's between Candace and Paula to go next. I'd take Paula over  CCB, but since Whoopi seems to hate Paula, I don't know.

• Love 4

The interview with Lane, Goodman, and Slattery was great. They really should’ve made two segments out of that. What a waste.

I remember sometime in the past year or two when Nathan Lane last visited the show that he was pretty cold towards Whoopi and then someone on here explained he and O’Donnell were friends. I thought it was interesting Whoopi kept trying to engage with him when he was here again. His eyebrows were raised whenever she talked to him.

In a way, Whoopi’s fake laugh sounded like Jedi. But Jedi fakes everything, so no surprise there. Btw, I’d like to know who Jedi is related to or who she screwed behind-the-scenes that they would push Sara off the show before they’d think of making her sit out a day?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, maryis1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I won't miss her at all. I did think her nod to the crew was gracious.

Except for one thing.   Raven says she is all about using inclusive language, being a millennial and a member of the LGBT community.  It stood out to me that instead of using job titles - like "camera crew" and "make-up crew"  she referred to them by gender - the "Men behind the  cameras"  and the "women in makeup".  It's a small thing, but change in attitudes about gender roles start there.    When you refer to people doing a job as "men", the implication is that male-ness is part of the job.  We say and hear these messages that have an effect on an unconscious level.

It wasn't long ago that police officers were called policemen, and firefighters were firemen.  And you would never hear "the men and women in the military".

I know most people would call it nitpicky, and it might be, but I had gone to a seminar about this issue once, and it's amazing how many times I'm more aware of this occurring.

• Love 14

The issue of Christmas songs and religion  -  Raven and CCB kept saying that it IS Christmas,  and that Christmas is a religious holiday.   Yeah, Ok, but not everyone is celebrating Christmas.  And Whoopi needed to tie her point to the issue.  When Christmas stuff starts in October, it doesn't only affect people going Christmas shopping.  It affects people who are non-Christian who aren't going to Christmas-themed events, they're just going SHOPPING. 

I am totally on Whoopi's side with this - Christmas used to be a day, a week at the most.  putting up decorations the day after thanksgiving used to be seen as early, now it's expected.  And stores start putting up Christmas stuff up as soon as (and sometimes at the same time) they take the back-to-school stuff off the shelves.  if you don't celebrate Christmas, you have to put up with it for months.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, backformore said:

she referred to them by gender - the "Men behind the  cameras"  and the "women in makeup".  It's a small thing, but change in attitudes about gender roles start there.

I'm also sensitive to the issue to which you are referring, but she was thanking a specific group of people, maybe the people behind the camera were indeed only men, and the people in makeup were indeed only women.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

However, if there was a woman behind a camera, or a man in the makeup department then it is definitely wrong.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

but she was thanking a specific group of people, maybe the people behind the camera were indeed only men, and the people in makeup were indeed only women.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

I get that.   My point was about the subconscious message about the jobs, when you use gender to talk about jobs or roles.  Thanking the camera operators and engineers, the make-up crew, etc - without mentioning gender, doesn't give that same message.  Like I said, it is nitpicky and subtle, but it has an impact on people. 

• Love 9

Thank goodness Raven will be leaving.  (Too funny about early Christmas, GreenKnight!)  I thought it was nice of her to thank the crew.  She never thanked her cohosts, did she?

Nathan Lane and John Goodman are always hilarious.  I was afraid Jon Slattery wouldn't be given time to say anything.  What an amazing cast that show has!  So many veteran actors.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, backformore said:

My point was about the subconscious message about the jobs, when you use gender to talk about jobs or roles.  Thanking the camera operators and engineers, the make-up crew, etc - without mentioning gender, doesn't give that same message.  Like I said, it is nitpicky and subtle, but it has an impact on people. 

And I get that.  It doesn't apply in this specific case.  

Raven wouldn't say to the audience "I'd like to thank the men and women on the panel."

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3

Nice to thank the crew, etc but Raven ....DO stfu [/Frasier voice] Wish she'd take CCB with her as mentioned above. Raven is leaving to do a show. Why didn't CCB leave to do that show - whatever the name is.

Michelle was not my all time fav, but she didn't even get a "see ya." 

Does anyone recall how Paula's absence was addressed, if at all?  TIA

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Does anyone recall how Paula's absence was addressed, if at all?  TIA

There's no need to address it. It was announced before the season started that she would only be on Fridays.  I think with the exception of the first week.

This makes TWO weeks without Sunny when she was so needed on the panel. I hope this doesn't mean we have to wait until Chipmunk leaves again to do her show for Sunny to return.

• Love 4

What was Whoopi sucking/chewing/gnawing on when they'd come back from break? It's like she has zero respect for the viewers or the audience. It wouldn't surprise me if she had something to do with Sunny not being on. She's such a bitchy diva. 

• Love 7

Best line during the Lane/Goodman/Slattery interview when they were talking about John Slattery's first performance, naked, & Nathan Lane said "I'm not saying how big it was, but it had an elbow!" (Or something to that effect ... LOL.)

1 minute ago, merriebreeze said:

What was Whoopi sucking/chewing/gnawing on when they'd come back from break? It's like she has zero respect for the viewers or the audience. It wouldn't surprise me if she had something to do with Sunny not being on. She's such a bitchy diva. 

I think they were all eating something, but the camera was on her sooner than she expected.

• Love 6

Finally a day without airhead Sara and Raven announces she is leaving.  Guess they needed to make room for Raven today.

I called it recently that Raven and Paula would be gone by Spring. Raven is ahead of my schedule!!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Vinyasa said:

Finally a day without airhead Sara and Raven announces she is leaving.  Guess they needed to make room for Raven today.

I called it recently that Raven and Paula would be gone by Spring. Raven is ahead of my schedule!!

Do you think they let Raven leave and save face by saying it's bc of that show and it was her choice? (Rather than being canned.)

• Love 7

I think Raven was fired, but they agreed to wait until she could announce that she's "leaving to pursue another project".  It's not the first time this show has done something similar. 

the new show is in the "developing"  phase.  That doesn't mean it's going to be on TV any time soon, or ever.  Seems like it's little more than an idea right now.

• Love 13

Of course they are letting Raven say it was her choice. They treated Michelle so badly, they can't do that again!

My post from last week! Now will Paula be next to go??

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, Vinyasa said:

They couldn't "poof" out Paula and Raven (like they did Michelle)  and bring in Sunny and Jediblahblah.  So they have Paula and Raven once a week or so.  I'll bet money Paul and Raven are gone by Spring. Will see less and less of them, just like Michelle.

Who knows why we get CCB for almost a week!

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5

So Raven gets to save face and Michelle gets the unceremonious boot. Wow. Neither of them are my favs (Joy is) but that seems unfair. Ok Life is not fair.  Jedi and Sarah bug me and CCB may drive me to stop watching (as Bits did)

It took me a while, but I finally resumed watching after Bits' departure.

• Love 6

Man, I hate to have to defend ABC, but, like it or not, Raven was more "well-known" so I'm not surprised they let her say she was leaving. I didn't even know who Michelle was when she was guest hosting. Only from y'all, who told me she was a stand up comedian or something. Just as McCarthy and Shepard were more well known and famous, so they got to say good-bye, just like Bitsy.

I sort of met Slattery once when I was in New York. He just happened to be in the same diner as my friend and I (we were in the city for my birthday that weekend) and he couldn't have been more...well, the kindest thing I can say is standoffish. Like, you knew from the expression on his face, not to come up to him and ask him for an autograph. So I was going to fast forward the interview, BUT, I LOVE Nathan Lane and John Goodman, so I'll just ignore Slattery.

• Love 3

Being "well known" or "famous"  has nothing to do with being able to say "good-bye" when you're a member of the panel.

Michelle was a permanent co-host and in the opening of the show. She deserved to announce she was leaving!!

• Love 12
Just now, Vinyasa said:

Being "well known" or "famous"  has nothing to do with being able to say "good-bye" when you're a member of the panel.

Michelle was a permanent co-host and in the opening of the show. She deserved to announce she was leaving!!

Michele deserved better...I really liked her, despite, her corny jokes.  I liked hearing about her, navigating life, as a single woman.  I liked the way that Whoopi had her back.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

With this show? In my opinion, how well you're famous or well known has everything to do with it. Just based on what I've seen. I can't remember if Season One's Debbie got to say good-bye when she got the boot?

• Love 1

I was never a Michelle fan and felt that she just couldn't read the room.  She frequently made a joke at an inappropriate time (as does Joy), but, I never saw her do anything so egregious that she wasn't given any kind of goodbye.  She was just gone.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I did. And I wonder if she meant that her mother was also a wet nurse.

Oh and Whoopi? Janet Jackson was not the FIRST to come up with Nasty Woman. Her song was about Nasty boys. She wasn't the one to invent the word, nasty, either. And Sara is such a MORON, that she doesn't understand how women embracing that term so that it loses the power of the insult behind it. 

Im going to guess sara probably would have been confused back in the 90s when meredith brooks had the song Bitch...as a way for women to reclaim that word.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I was never a Michelle fan and felt that she just couldn't read the room.  She frequently made a joke at an inappropriate time (as does Joy), but, I never saw her do anything so egregious that she wasn't given any kind of goodbye.  She was just gone.

The worst part of Michelle being "poofed"out  was that airhead Sara replaced her before she was even officially gone!  No other co-host was treated that badly.

I still say Michele got a raw deal from the view...

She definitely did.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Vinyasa said:

So raven is leaving for a spinoff of thats so raven...yet CCB is staying even though shes in a spinoff... spin spin spin that story raven.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

The worst part of Michelle being "poofed"out  was that airhead Sara replaced her before she was even officially gone!  No other co-host was treated that badly.

Rosie Perez was treated much worse than Michelle. She had to sit next to her replacements with one of them (Raven) being constantly rude to her, have her accent mocked daily by Whoopi (even after she asked her to stop), be talked about in the media for things that most likely weren't true (not being able to read a teleprompter, supposedly being almost-fired in January), and was forced to apologize to that spoiled brat, Kelly Osbourne, on her last day because she had the gall to insinuate Osbourne's racist comments were offensive. Perez is still the topper.

• Love 15
55 minutes ago, Fisher King said:

I'm just glad to not have to see Raven's sour pussface again.

I take it you don't want to experiment with BLUE lipstick?  

Anyone else finding the irony in Raven, who think of herself as YOUNG!  (she even refers to "adults"  when she means people like 40 or older) is developing a show where she  is the mother of adolescent kids?   

Of course, it's what Hollywood does all the time - women are young and hot until they turn 30, then they become parents of teenagers.  But with Raven, I'm enjoying it.   

• Love 7

Maybe she only thinks there's a That's So Raven spinoff.  It's odd considering that she's on a panel with CCB from Full House to Fuller House.   So that movie where John Goodman played her father must have been just before or in the first year of Full House.  He didn't look too happy about having to be questioned by her. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Fisher King said:

Nathan Lane saved the day. John Goodman seemed miserable - and that clip from the movie with CCB was just cringe-worthy. Was there any other reason for CCB being there? I hope she's next to go. Please.

FISHER!!!!! I was just thinking about you today, wondering where'd you'd disappeared to, and here you are! Are your fingers burning? (Equivalant to Ears Burning when people are thinking and talking about one and one calls or gets in touch).

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

FISHER!!!!! I was just thinking about you today, wondering where'd you'd disappeared

@Fisher King, when I see the little picture of the hearse from Six Feet Under, it brings back a lot of memories.  That was when I first started reading at TwoP. 

• Love 5

Thanks, @GHScorpiosRule! I've been around, just not watching the show much lately and mostly reading here.  You guys are always better than the show!

That's about the time I finally signed up at TWoP too, @atomationage. I read the board before I ever registered there. I do still love my SFU.

• Love 2

I'm going to be posting in segments. Like whatever the shit they "discussed" and then commercial break or two, and then watch the next and then post about that, because already, my head is expanding and I can feel it getting ready to fucking explode.

Raven's announcement: Really? She really threw out Bill Cosby as someone one should still respect? When talking blathering about her "sequel" which they haven't even cast yet, and mentioned without actually saying, but you know she wanted to, how Cosby helped her out a great deal with the first That's So Raven!, or that he's a veteran one can respect. Instead of the other actors, directors, show runners that were an actual part of the show.

And yes, RAVEN; in today's world, you do have to do research in order to learn what's going on in the world and not believe what people tell you, or what bloggers, Twitter, Face Book "TELLS YOU" as Fact.

Are you fucking kidding me? Chipmunk talked as if she just got the epiphany that the country is divided. As if that hasn't been happening for years. And she was talking about that Utah candidate, who I have never heard of before and don't care, as if his winning the State is akin to him being President.

And STFU, both Raven and Jediblahblahfoxbot when it comes to passing bills through Congress. It's NOT the fault of the President if he couldn't get shit done. That asshole McConnell Cecil Turtle said it in 2008-that they were determined to make him a "one term President." And it wasn't racially motivated? Gee, what was the difference between Obama and past Democratic Presidents? Because Clinton had Republicans who hated him, but I don't recall any of them saying that about him! Boehner was another one who said it. NOBODY wanted to work with Obama to get stuff done. And the world is so full of ignorant, nimrodic ignoramasic maroons, because they think only the President can change laws, repeal them, overturn Supreme Court Decision, and that Congress is just window dressing.

These assholes who have already stated that they don't care who Hillary nominates, they won't even have hearings, before the election? Are assuming they'll be re-elected. Man, I hope they're not. 

And Chipmunk is wearing WHITE! After Labor Day!!!! And no, I give Hillary a pass for her wearing white at the last debate because that was the color of the Suffragettes. And Chipmunk AIN'T no Suffragette.

Back to the Show...

• Love 15

So to defend Raven just a little (which is making my right eye twitch) it is certainly plausible that she had to leave the show to do the That's So Raven spin-off, even though Candace didn't when she filmed Fuller House. Candace's show is on Netflix and they do things a little differently. They shoot all of their episodes at once and then release them months later at one time. And they only did 13 episodes. A channel like Disney has a bit more of a traditional, old school shooting schedule that could realistically require a bigger time commitment from Raven. Most of those shows are shooting between 18-20 episodes a season. Also it looks like the spin-off is real as I ran across a news announcement about it on some entertainment site. It was from someone at Disney. Now considering Raven is only on one day a week anyway, if they really wanted to keep her and keep that appearance schedule I'm sure they could have. But my guess is that neither side really cared enough to pursue it. All that being said, I'm not sad to see her go at all, whatever brought it on.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

So to defend Raven just a little (which is making my right eye twitch) it is certainly plausible that she had to leave the show to do the That's So Raven spin-off, even though Candace didn't when she filmed Fuller House. Candace's show is on Netflix and they do things a little differently. They shoot all of their episodes at once and then release them months later at one time. And they only did 13 episodes. A channel like Disney has a bit more of a traditional, old school shooting schedule that could realistically require a bigger time commitment from Raven. Most of those shows are shooting between 18-20 episodes a season. Also it looks like the spin-off is real as I ran across a news announcement about it on some entertainment site. It was from someone at Disney. Now considering Raven is only on one day a week anyway, if they really wanted to keep her and keep that appearance schedule I'm sure they could have. But my guess is that neither side really cared enough to pursue it. All that being said, I'm not sad to see her go at all, whatever brought it on.

But Raven, unlike Chipmunk, isn't shooting the new show. It's still in development. She's also one of the executive producers and is reprising her role from the original. She even threw out that if anyone wants to be on the show, go here, or whatever she said. It's not the same thing, where Fuller House passed the development stage and was already cast with everyone and with scripts.

Like others, I was on Whoopi's side regarding the Christmas songs and selling Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. And Raven proves herself to be an idiot again. She kept saying "it's the stores!" that do it. Which yes, but I think what she was trying to say was that Christmas has been commercialized. And of course Chipmunk was trying to throw religion into it. Or something.  And yeah, Raven got the STINK EYE from me for calling Santa Claus, "The Big Fat Guy" or "Big White Guy" or whatever, as if she'd never heard of Santa, or that as a kid, probably did know and write to him.

I found it verrrry interrrrrresting (says I in Bugs Bunny voice while giving Red Monster a manicure) that Nathan Lane, for the most part, kept his back turned toward Chipmunk and Whoopi. But proved himself to be the professional he is, when toward the end, turned toward them.

Now, was it just me, or did Chipmunk's smile look frozen when she asked about Nathan's wedding vows and at his story about how he emotional he got?

Why this show continues to treat Chipmunk as the most Speshialistist Snowflake that ever flaked by always, always having either a Full House clip or a clip from whatever movie or movies she's done with whatever celebrity shows up, continues to baffle me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why this show continues to treat Chipmunk as the most Speshialistist Snowflake that ever flaked by always, always having either a Full House clip or a clip from whatever movie or movies she's done with whatever celebrity shows up, continues to baffle me.

Whoopi made a comment one day this week about a cross,   and then quickly apologized to CCB, and it struck me as very odd.    I am convinced that CCB complained that she was being mistreated for being "Christian"  (in quotes because her use of the word is not the same as mine)  and that the others were talked to about respecting her religious beliefs. 

Just remembered - the issue was health insurance, whoopi said blue cross, or red cross, or whatever kind of cross you have - then made an apology of sorts about "not that kind of cross, sorry" .  it was out of character for Whoop, and she seemed to be making sure she didn't offend CCB by use of the word "cross". 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Whoopi made a comment one day this week about a cross,   and then quickly apologized to CCB, and it struck me as very odd.    I am convinced that CCB complained that she was being mistreated for being "Christian"  (in quotes because her use of the word is not the same as mine)  and that the others were talked to about respecting her religious beliefs. 

Just remembered - the issue was health insurance, whoopi said blue cross, or red cross, or whatever kind of cross you have - then made an apology of sorts about "not that kind of cross, sorry" .  it was out of character for Whoop, and she seemed to be making sure she didn't offend CCB by use of the word "cross". 

I also "caught that" & thought it was weird (from The Whoopster).  They're walking on eggshells with this little princess!!!!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, she's catching up to Whoopi  with the gratuitous self promotion.  (And false humility.)

Incidentally, Bugs Bunny's big red monster is named Gossamer (if you all didn't already know).  Just a bit of trivia.

• Love 2

So happy Raven's leaving is official.

I'd be a bit happier if that nitwit had an ounce of self-awareness to grasp the irony involved.  Here we have a show that wants to be part of the pop culture, discusses the pop culture and yet takes the "young 'un" on the show with all her attempts at portraying herself as being immersed in the latest and greatest of pop culture's not most pervasive and ever changing aspect -- social media.  And the show pretty much shoves her out the door with a "enough out of you".  I mean I do laugh out loud and startle the guy next to me on the plane thinking about how stupid she looks in all this.  i just wish she wasn't so completely stupid that she couldn't grasp the hilarious but bitter pill she is made to swallow amidst the polite out they are giving her.  In more ways than one.  

I suspect that someone sat Whoopi down and told her that Paula demoted to just Fridays is all the extra room she gets in the sandbox and to play nice with the Bure for the short time she is there.

• Love 9