Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

I find noting likable about Kevin so this episode did nothing for me.  And this is after he hurts his knee on the set and 2 episodes later he is an addict?  They never showed he had any type of addictive personality before.  So easy for them to just make him an addict.  He walks around the school in a stupor and only 1 person questions it?  Finally, how dramatic for Randall to tell him about Kate’s miscarriage right when he arrives.  The show is so shallow that they can’t ever rely on regular life stuff to keep people interested.  Instead, every character has something major going on all at once.  Oh do I miss Parenthood...

• Love 5

The death knell has been a slow one for me. It started a few weeks ago when I fast forwarded through one of those grandiose speeches. Then I moved the show over to DVR territory. This is the first episode I’ve deleted and do not plan on watching at all. This Is Misery. Indeed. 

I’m thisclose to dropping it off my radar completely. What is this show even about beyond the obvious intent to make viewers cry each week? 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Kata01 said:

The death knell has been a slow one for me. It started a few weeks ago when I fast forwarded through one of those grandiose speeches. Then I moved the show over to DVR territory. This is the first episode I’ve deleted and do not plan on watching at all. This Is Misery. Indeed. 

I’m thisclose to dropping it off my radar completely. What is this show even about beyond the obvious intent to make viewers cry each week? 

I can feel it too.  I know there's trouble when two weeks in a row, I change the channel and see what else is on.  I mean, I switch back and it's more of the same old thing where I have to either feel annoyed or bored.  I think it's just the writing.  I mean, if 5-6 of us on these boards, sat down at a table and brainstormed some ideas for these characters......I REALLY believe that we could have come up with better material.  AND then written the script.  I honestly do.  How is it that professionals miss it.?  I don't get it.  And I don't think I'm being too picky.  

• Love 3

Kate and Toby can call off their quickie wedding, whether it be Justice of the Peace or Church Extravaganza White Wedding.  Toby's mother will be thrilled that her son isn't marrying a non-Catholic with a bun in the oven.  Toby can see Kate as she truly is, a b*tch who is self-absorbed and is only with him because she enjoys the attention he gives her and possibly supports her in their apartment while she doesn't work but goes for a singing career at this late time in life.  Toby can move on.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can feel it too.  I know there's trouble when two weeks in a row, I change the channel and see what else is on.  I mean, I switch back and it's more of the same old thing where I have to either feel annoyed or bored.  I think it's just the writing.  I mean, if 5-6 of us on these boards, sat down at a table and brainstormed some ideas for these characters......I REALLY believe that we could have come up with better material.  AND then written the script.  I honestly do.  How is it that professionals miss it.?  I don't get it.  And I don't think I'm being too picky.  

I agree. I feel the writers bought into last season’s hype and the consequent result is the mess we’re getting this season. They have just about lost me at this point. In fact,  I’ve been asking myself “what is the point?” after each episode pretty much all season. 

What is the point of Kate being pregnant for just 2 episodes?

What is the point of killing William off last season when they clearly do not want to let him go? We are now reduced to more flashbacks involving a deceased character. Albeit, at least we know how this one died. 

What is the point of heaping continuous misery upon the main characters? That is not compelling storytelling, it’s lazy writing. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Kata01 said:

I agree. I feel the writers bought into last season’s hype and the consequent result is the mess we’re getting this season. They have just about lost me at this point. In fact,  I’ve been asking myself “what is the point?” after each episode pretty much all season. 

What is the point of Kate being pregnant for just 2 episodes?

What is the point of killing William off last season when they clearly do not want to let him go? We are now reduced to more flashbacks involving a deceased character. Albeit, at least we know how this one died. 

What is the point of heaping continuous misery upon the main characters? That is not compelling storytelling, it’s lazy writing. 

THIS, all of this.

We are supposed to care how Jack died (but it's been dragged on far too long).  We are supposed to care about the Big Three (at least I think we are) but none of them are written as very likable.  We are supposed to wonder about how Rebecca and Miguel got together (and right now Miguel is the only one I can tolerate), we're supposed to buy a love story between Kate/Toby (zero chemistry) and the cuteness of the tightly-wound Randall/Beth (I roll my eyes when they do their twee banter thing).  We're supposed to see Kevin as the ignored one, which has been beaten into our heads with an anvil-like obviousness (he's a disheveled mess and yet no one sees it, including two doctors and apparently a pharmacist).  Etc.

I originally bought into this show because of the twins becoming triplets.  I was hoping to see a more even-keeled show about how the siblings related to each other and their parents, and how Jack and Rebecca handled a full house.  Instead, it's become a misery-fest filled with dramatic monologues at ridiculously inappropriate times, characters that are still somehow cardboard to me, strange logistics, and storylines that are dropped after a couple of episodes, leaving us to wonder if it meant anything or was just a by-product of sloppy writing.

P.S..........I continue to watch because I dig this thread. 

• Love 16
57 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

THIS, all of this.

We are supposed to care how Jack died (but it's been dragged on far too long).  We are supposed to care about the Big Three (at least I think we are) but none of them are written as very likable.  We are supposed to wonder about how Rebecca and Miguel got together (and right now Miguel is the only one I can tolerate), we're supposed to buy a love story between Kate/Toby (zero chemistry) and the cuteness of the tightly-wound Randall/Beth (I roll my eyes when they do their twee banter thing).  We're supposed to see Kevin as the ignored one, which has been beaten into our heads with an anvil-like obviousness (he's a disheveled mess and yet no one sees it, including two doctors and apparently a pharmacist).  Etc.

I originally bought into this show because of the twins becoming triplets.  I was hoping to see a more even-keeled show about how the siblings related to each other and their parents, and how Jack and Rebecca handled a full house.  Instead, it's become a misery-fest filled with dramatic monologues at ridiculously inappropriate times, characters that are still somehow cardboard to me, strange logistics, and storylines that are dropped after a couple of episodes, leaving us to wonder if it meant anything or was just a by-product of sloppy writing.

Good points!  

Something popped into my head when reading your post.  Something that struck me as really odd and rather silly.  Do you recall when Jack got the fuse box working again?  He walks into the kitchen and Rebecca almost burst at the seams with joy.  She says to Jack, "GOOD JOB!"  Like he's dog that fetched a bone.  I don't know why that stood out to me.  Just so fake. To me, she gushes a lot of praise on him that seem unwarranted too.  I mean, positive reinforcement has its placed, but, I think I've grown sick of it on this show. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

This made me snort...because it is so true....

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to bypass the episode threads and come over here to my UO brothers and sisters....

• Love 8

We are supposed to care about the Big Three (at least I think we are) but none of them are written as very likable.  

Watched One with my daughter and at the same time we said "Kevin is a dick". I agree that they are not likable to the point that you have a tough time relating since they are bordering on not being good people....not there yet with Kate and Randall but not far.

Instead, it's become a misery-fest

Can't something good happen for these characters and have it stick for awhile. It does happen that way in real life...a lot. With this show, you absolutely knew Kate would lose the baby-it would not be a tough pregnancy with a happy ending....losing the baby was a sure thing. You absolutely knew Kevin would screw up his 2nd big break and blow it with Sophie. You just know that Deja is going to leave-no way it works out smoothly. Yet somehow, as all this happens, I don't feel all that sorry for the characters.

• Love 4

I agree about the constant turmoil thing.  Sort of reminds me of the show Nashville.  It caused that show to nose drive.  We'll see what happen with this one.  I'm not feeling too optimistic though.  I mean, if they stay popular, get awards and people gush about how great it is.  So......what do I know? lol 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Watched One with my daughter and at the same time we said "Kevin is a dick". I agree that they are not likable to the point that you have a tough time relating since they are bordering on not being good people....not there yet with Kate and Randall but not far.

Can't something good happen for these characters and have it stick for awhile. It does happen that way in real life...a lot. With this show, you absolutely knew Kate would lose the baby-it would not be a tough pregnancy with a happy ending....losing the baby was a sure thing. You absolutely knew Kevin would screw up his 2nd big break and blow it with Sophie. You just know that Deja is going to leave-no way it works out smoothly. Yet somehow, as all this happens, I don't feel all that sorry for the characters.

Right, they're using these tragic scenarios lazily.  I was totally OK with William's coming and then dying, I thought it was well written and acted.  But now this season, right to the cliched schlock.  To explore the characters relationships and inner workings, they don't have to go this histrionic route.  Kate could get an actual job and decide she wanted more, and go back to college.  And work on her weight and get married.  Kevin could start facing what he's been burying, and learn some lessons by failing, instead of skating all the time because of ? what, his looks?  Which will fade and aren't all that to begin with according to moi.  Randall could further explore his roots and be a great stay at home parent, it is not necessary to bring in the foster child where it looks like her mother will be fighting (and probably winning).  We know nothing of present-day Rebecca and Miguel, let's have more of them.  The show is testing my patience now. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Right, they're using these tragic scenarios lazily.  I was totally OK with William's coming and then dying, I thought it was well written and acted.  But now this season, right to the cliched schlock.  To explore the characters relationships and inner workings, they don't have to go this histrionic route.  Kate could get an actual job and decide she wanted more, and go back to college.  And work on her weight and get married.  Kevin could start facing what he's been burying, and learn some lessons by failing, instead of skating all the time because of ? what, his looks?  Which will fade and aren't all that to begin with according to moi.  Randall could further explore his roots and be a great stay at home parent, it is not necessary to bring in the foster child where it looks like her mother will be fighting (and probably winning).  We know nothing of present-day Rebecca and Miguel, let's have more of them.  The show is testing my patience now. 

Agree. I thought William’s story was beautifully laid out in Memphis. It’s redundant and cheapens his story to go the flashback route with him this season. Like that old soap opera-ish slight of hand - we’ll kill him off, but he’s not REALLY dead. Not working. 

Rebecca’s lack of connection to her adult biological children is that elephant in the room that no one talks about. Her relationship with adult Kate is strained at best. She has 0 emotional connection with adult Kevin (I can vaguely recall 1 adult one on one scene they had last season). Everything is lavished onto Randall and his family. I was hoping the show might delve into the meat of these relationships this season, but, alas(!) no. A lot of wasted opportunity for schleck. Sorry not sorry show, you have to earn my tears. 

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Kata01 said:

Agree. I thought William’s story was beautifully laid out in Memphis. It’s redundant and cheapens his story to go the flashback route with him this season. Like that old soap opera-ish slight of hand - we’ll kill him off, but he’s not REALLY dead. Not working. 

Rebecca’s lack of connection to her adult biological children is that elephant in the room that no one talks about. Her relationship with adult Kate is strained at best. She has 0 emotional connection with adult Kevin (I can vaguely recall 1 adult one on one scene they had last season). Everything is lavished onto Randall and his family. I was hoping the show might delve into the meat of these relationships this season, but, alas(!) no. A lot of wasted opportunity for schleck. Sorry not sorry show, you have to earn my tears. 

I still like the show, but Rebecca's lack of connection bugs me a great deal as well, especially when it comes to Kevin. I don't even remember 1 adult one on one scene between the two of them. So if anybody remembers if/what/when it happened, please point me towards it.

There are actually so many relationships I want explored more and as much as I like the character and the actor, I'd gladly trade William for those. As you pointed out, dead should be DEAD.

I wanna know more about Sophie and Kevin. I know they've known each other for a long time, but how did they ultimately end up together? And how did they fall apart? To really be able to root for them as a couple we need way more insight into their history IMO.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points!  

Something popped into my head when reading your post.  Something that struck me as really odd and rather silly.  Do you recall when Jack got the fuse box working again?  He walks into the kitchen and Rebecca almost burst at the seams with joy.  She says to Jack, "GOOD JOB!"  Like he's dog that fetched a bone.  I don't know why that stood out to me.  Just so fake. To me, she gushes a lot of praise on him that seem unwarranted too.  I mean, positive reinforcement has its placed, but, I think I've grown sick of it on this show. 

In that whole sequence of scenes, Rebecca's demeanor seemed so over the top to me, but that's this show's signature style.   She was acting more like she was having the Clintons over for dinner than a recruiter.  If Kevin's as great as he says, getting a full ride to his local U doesn't seem that huge a thing.  And the college would be courting him by taking the Pearsons out to dinner, I think, not imposing on their hospitality.  

4 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

In that whole sequence of scenes, Rebecca's demeanor seemed so over the top to me, but that's this show's signature style.   She was acting more like she was having the Clintons over for dinner than a recruiter.  If Kevin's as great as he says, getting a full ride to his local U doesn't seem that huge a thing.  And the college would be courting him by taking the Pearsons out to dinner, I think, not imposing on their hospitality.  

They have 3 kids starting college at the same time.  A full ride to any school for one of them would be a humungous deal.  And, the recruiter basically said that Kevin probably wouldn't be a starter. So, maybe, just maybe, he's not as good as he says he is.  And, I have no idea about real-life recruiters, but every one that I have seen on TV goes to the house, so I wouldn't single out this show on that count.  The Middle, American Dreams, the George Lopez Show (I don't know why I saw that since I don't recall regularly watching that, but unless my head is making up random things, I'm going with that it happened).

• Love 1

I have a HS senior with multiple full ride offers.  When they have that level of accomplishment, you know those offers are coming, in my experience.  And if I didn't know it, I wouldn't think my little dinner party would matter much, unless I was in Mayberry in 1960 maybe.

It's the UO thread, and I don't watch any of those shows listed above so I feel like I can 'single out' this show for anything I feel like.  It's what we do here.  Or are we supposed to just not call out bad writing because it's so common?  

I'm not currently a big TV watcher, only a few shows, but I think the coach coming over to the highschooler's house for dinner has been done a lot, I feel like I have seen almost this exact scene somewhere not too long ago, but can't pinpoint it.  It's probably something to do with college recruiters having all sorts of rules about not giving gifts/experiences to recruits, I don't know.  It just struck me as a big fat anvil, Kevin being smartass and rude could have been shown in a different context as far as I'm concerned.  I thought it was kind of telling that Kevin felt so cocky as to ask how much he'd be starting.  Then the coach said he wouldn't be, which I suppose is standard for a freshman, but not a great way to start off a relationship with the coach who is going to be ruling your playing life in the near future.  He was really being a little shit. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I'm not currently a big TV watcher, only a few shows, but I think the coach coming over to the highschooler's house for dinner has been done a lot, I feel like I have seen almost this exact scene somewhere not too long ago, but can't pinpoint it.  It's probably something to do with college recruiters having all sorts of rules about not giving gifts/experiences to recruits, I don't know.  It just struck me as a big fat anvil, Kevin being smartass and rude could have been shown in a different context as far as I'm concerned.  I thought it was kind of telling that Kevin felt so cocky as to ask how much he'd be starting.  Then the coach said he wouldn't be, which I suppose is standard for a freshman, but not a great way to start off a relationship with the coach who is going to be ruling your playing life in the near future.  He was really being a little shit. 

Cosign. 

I really feel like this episode (and "The 20s") is all about telling us that Kevin is not a nice person and that he has had zero emotional growth since he was about 8 years old.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

Cosign. 

I really feel like this episode (and "The 20s") is all about telling us that Kevin is not a nice person and that he has had zero emotional growth since he was about 8 years old.

I had liked Kevin up until the past couple episodes. This addict for a month story is doing nothing for me. I'm not feeling sorry for Kevin and his whole failing up speech on the football field was just so boo hoo, I'm talented and good looking. I would have liked him more if they had stuck with Overlooked, Middle Child Kevin who is always trying to make people like him. I feel like they had to give him a flaw to be equal with Kate's weight issues and Randall's stress/anxiety.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I still like the show, but Rebecca's lack of connection bugs me a great deal as well, especially when it comes to Kevin. I don't even remember 1 adult one on one scene between the two of them. So if anybody remembers if/what/when it happened, please point me towards it.

There are actually so many relationships I want explored more and as much as I like the character and the actor, I'd gladly trade William for those. As you pointed out, dead should be DEAD.

My recollection is extremely vague, but I seem to recall one scene last season between adult Kevin and Rebecca having to do with the play. She was encouraging him? I don’t remember. That in itself is pretty sad when weighed against all the emotional scenes between Rebecca/Randall - in childhood and adulthood. Do the writer’s not see the story there? 

• Love 1

Rebecca’s lack of connection to her adult biological children is that elephant in the room that no one talks about. Her relationship with adult Kate is strained at best. She has 0 emotional connection with adult Kevin (I can vaguely recall 1 adult one on one scene they had last season). Everything is lavished onto Randall and his family. I was hoping the show might delve into the meat of these relationships this season, but, alas(!) no.

Do we know at this point whether Rebecca even knows that Kate was pregnant? I don't even remember her sharing with Randall.

And I completely agree that I hope that they delve into the deterioration of her relationship with the kids...other than Randall, who we understand is her favorite.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Kevin is a serial "romancer."  How many women has he slept with in this show already?  Olivia, Sloan, Sophie, Charlotte.

Not to mention the two women he had dancing for him in his bedroom in the series premiere (not that he slept with him, but it appeared that was where it was going had not Kate called and had he not been totally wallowing at the time....)

• Love 1

Something that really bugs me is the constant talk of "masterful" "powerhouse" "heartbreaking" "groundbreaking" "phenomenal" "outstanding" "honest" and so on and so on and SO ON performances. Every performance is NOT Emmy-worthy. And no, your entire cast is NOT entitled to an Emmy or to even be in the discussion about it.

I do NOT like stuff that is written for the sake of TRYING SOOO HARD to get your cast awards. Is ANYTHING on this show written without some ulterior motive?

• Love 11
On 11/15/2017 at 5:42 AM, Dminches said:

He walks around the school in a stupor and only 1 person questions it?  

And he hangs out with/has sex with an ACTUAL DOCTOR, and she doesn't notice anything other than he's really sweaty?  And I don't like how Sophie the Nurse said to him last week "you're spiraling" (not a word that I normally hear used in everyday non-medical conversation), but then shuts the door on him when he says something mean and ignores the fact that he's spiraling.

• Love 5

Plus that last comment to her was so out of character.  When he thinks of their future together he sees a nightmare?  This from the golden retriever puppy?  We've never seen him be critical of her, why would she take it as an insult?  

12 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And he hangs out with/has sex with an ACTUAL DOCTOR, and she doesn't notice anything other than he's really sweaty?  And I don't like how Sophie the Nurse said to him last week "you're spiraling" (not a word that I normally hear used in everyday non-medical conversation), but then shuts the door on him when he says something mean and ignores the fact that he's spiraling.

I could see why Sophie would be hurt by Kevin saying that he sees their future together as a nightmare, especially when he doesn't expand on the fact that he means that he's the nightmare, not her. However, I chalked this part as bad, tropey writing to get them to break up, rather than something more realistic. I get that addicts can say nasty stuff when they feel stuck in a corner for whatever reason. I just think they had better ways to handle a breakup.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, HeyThere83 said:

Something that really bugs me is the constant talk of "masterful" "powerhouse" "heartbreaking" "groundbreaking" "phenomenal" "outstanding" "honest" and so on and so on and SO ON performances. Every performance is NOT Emmy-worthy. And no, your entire cast is NOT entitled to an Emmy or to even be in the discussion about it.

I do NOT like stuff that is written for the sake of TRYING SOOO HARD to get your cast awards. Is ANYTHING on this show written without some ulterior motive?

Laughing because I just saw the preview for the upcoming episode and they’re labeling it “extraordinary”, where it looks like simply more misery - dealing with the aftermath of the miscarriage of a two-episode pregnancy storyline and more of Kate being nasty and insufferable to all in her radius. I passed on last week’s episode and looks like I will this week too. 

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 6:58 PM, HeyThere83 said:

Why no......no, there is not.  

There are no stories in this show, just DEEPLY.DRAMATIC.MOMENTS.  There are no real people depicted here, just tragic and misguided stereotypes.  It is tired tropes and manipulations galore.  There is overwhelming angst, crushing blows and depressing lives.

This is This is Us.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6
On 11/16/2017 at 11:25 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

And the college would be courting him by taking the Pearsons out to dinner, I think, not imposing on their hospitality.  

I think buying them dinner might violate NCAA regulations, but maybe not. I’m not sure.

Edited by Cara
On 11/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, Kata01 said:

Laughing because I just saw the preview for the upcoming episode and they’re labeling it “extraordinary”, where it looks like simply more misery - dealing with the aftermath of the miscarriage of a two-episode pregnancy storyline and more of Kate being nasty and insufferable to all in her radius. I passed on last week’s episode and looks like I will this week too. 

But...but...it's going to be extraordinary!

They need to put the hard brakes on constantly TELLING us what it's going to be and start SHOWING us in ways that don't involve dropping anvils on our heads or warning us to have the tissues nearby.  If I know going in that I'm supposed to cry here and here (usually aided by the unmistakable musical score), that's probably where I'm going to eye-roll the hardest.

EDIT: I just watched the "Number One" roundtable discussion out of curiosity.  The producer and director stated that they purposely let the viewers know that Kate had lost the baby at the end of the episode so that we'd all have plenty of time to process the feels before the next episode.  Given that most of the people in this thread had already guessed Kate's outcome, it proves that the writers really don't think we're all that smart.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 8

The producer and director stated that they purposely let the viewers know that Kate had lost the baby at the end of the episode so that we'd all have plenty of time to process the feels before the next episode.  Given that most of the people in this thread had already guessed Kate's outcome, it proves that the writers really don't think we're all that smart.

Yeah, well they can go "process" my ass.  

Idiots.  

• Love 14

EDIT: I just watched the "Number One" roundtable discussion out of curiosity.  The producer and director stated that they purposely let the viewers know that Kate had lost the baby at the end of the episode so that we'd all have plenty of time to process the feels before the next episode.  Given that most of the people in this thread had already guessed Kate's outcome, it proves that the writers really don't think we're all that smart.

Ugh, just ugh...

They really do think we're all idiots, don't they?  The sad part is that you can tell when a show has respect for its audience and when it doesn't...and this one is looking more and more like it doesn't.  Which is probably why I'm less and less motivated to watch it each week.

And it's too bad, because this show has (had?) some great potential, and they are killing it all by treating their audience like toddlers.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Ugh, just ugh...

They really do think we're all idiots, don't they?  The sad part is that you can tell when a show has respect for its audience and when it doesn't...and this one is looking more and more like it doesn't.  Which is probably why I'm less and less motivated to watch it each week.

And it's too bad, because this show has (had?) some great potential, and they are killing it all by treating their audience like toddlers.

I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to a miscarriage if I didn't read the boards.  But, I also don't need a week to process emotions about fictional characters.  

• Love 11
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I had such a bond with that fictional poppy seed.  

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to a miscarriage if I didn't read the boards.  But, I also don't need a week to process emotions about fictional characters.  

Maybe they want to make sure we all have time to visit a grief counselor before the next episode. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

For sure.  Why would anyone much care when we haven't seen Kate even tell her mother, or Kate and Toby talk about it, or buy stuff for it, anything at all to make anyone give her pregnancy a second thought much less have to process some feelings.  The girl from the weight loss group who Kate verbally attacked (whose name I can't come up with) will probably have some tears though because she was sure excited about it.  Madison is it?

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

For sure.  Why would anyone much care when we haven't seen Kate even tell her mother, or Kate and Toby talk about it, or buy stuff for it, anything at all to make anyone give her pregnancy a second thought much less have to process some feelings.  The girl from the weight loss group who Kate verbally attacked (whose name I can't come up with) will probably have some tears though because she was sure excited about it.  Madison is it?

Exactly.  Kate's pregnancy has been: one ultrasounds, telling Toby, telling Kevin.  It isn't even as if we've had any sort of buiIld up of her trying to have a baby--it just sort of happened.  And now it isn't.  I know they want us to be completely broken up about it (because they've told us we need to be so broken up over it that we need a week to process), but really, for me, it's more like, "Well, that happened."

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I had such a bond with that fictional poppy seed.  

Wait a minute.  They think that people need a week to process the feel over a fictional TV character's miscarriage? Are you serious?  Are THEY serious?  WTH?  Wow.  Just....wow.

These are not real people.  This show is on once a week.  It ends and I delete it from my DVR and I look for my next show.

The poppy seed is gone, to the surprise of no one.  And somehow I've managed to live my life.

These people are nuts.

• Love 14

I wonder if the actors will become box office poison after a few seasons.  Ann Hathaway became hated because of her obsession and constant blabbering  on how good, important and meaningful staring in Le Mis was because her mother had played the same role many years before.  It became gag worthy. 

I agree with every post here.  I am waiting for those who love this now, to turn on it and storm the village with burning torches and join us here. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, toodles said:

Wait a minute.  They think that people need a week to process the feel over a fictional TV character's miscarriage? Are you serious?  Are THEY serious?  WTH?  Wow.  Just....wow.

The roundtable might become my new favorite part of This is Us, actually.  The "Number One" was so unintentionally funny because after the exec producer or whoever she was stated with great gravitas that the show purposely ended that way, the other two panelists (Ken Olin and Josh Hartley) both did the slow nod, as if this idea was incredibly brilliant, whispering "Oh, wow..." in awed voices.  It was like an SNL skit.  They practically broke their own arms patting themselves on the back.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

The roundtable might become my new favorite part of This is Us, actually.  The "Number One" was so unintentionally funny because after the exec producer or whoever she was stated with great gravitas that the show purposely ended that way, the other two panelists (Ken Olin and Josh Hartley) both did the slow nod, as if this idea was incredibly brilliant, whispering "Oh, wow..." in awed voices.  It was like an SNL skit.  They practically broke their own arms patting themselves on the back.

OMG now I want to watch. I want to snark on this so bad.

• Love 1

If by "process" they mean give me a week to stop laughing my arse off, then thanks, but I'm pretty much watching this show while running a wine-induced Mystery Science Theater-style commentary and I don't want to ruin the spontaneity. But, since they offered a week to prepare, well then...

I'm predicting the very speshull lost poppyseed ep as follows:

Kate walks around sulking.

Toby follows.

Kate parks herself somewhere and cries.

Toby cries and Kate tells him to leave her alone, damnit, this is HER special episode and it was HER DAMN CHICKEN NUGGET!!!

Has flashback to perfect Jack telling her that someday he'll be perfect grandpa to little perfect poppyseed. Kate does creepy hand-to-face gesture and says the only thing more perfect would be if Rebecca is fat by then and Jack "ho-ho-hos" his wonderfulness.

*insert emo guitar bastardization remake of Kajagoogoo's "too shy" because why not?*

Cut to Kate with a package of donuts in her hand and fervently trying not to eat them. Yes, you, too, may wonder why eating donuts after a shock and bad news is such a Greek tragedy, but see, this is Symbolism. And Extraordinary. And she's going for an Emmy nod with alternating stuffing her face with a donut and then staring at the package like it's Satan. Goddamnit, Mom, this is all your fault for being thin. 

Kate gets a call from Toby and, with a great sigh, she throws away the donuts (whoo! Check the strength on that woman!) and she goes to meet him. She is wearing her grey sulky look (she has two expressions: dark sulky and grey sulky. Emmy material, again, in case you missed it). 

*insert emo guitar bastardization of "The electric company" theme. Because, damn it, this is extraordinary*

Toby is waiting for her at a Babies R Us and he pelts her with rattles and pacifiers as he sings "Big Girls Don't Cry" and then points to a crib and asks if she at least wants to have sex to feel better. 

"Oh, Tobe," she sighs. (If she stormed off like Regina George in "mean girls" and continued with 'nobody understaaaaaaads me', I might give her an Emmy, but she won't do that).

Gets call from know it all Randall who gives her a big long monologue about how Jack would have made everything better if he weren't dead, but hey, the hour is long and they're Pearsons and it 's time to introduce his Emmy nod and Very Important Backstory, so let's get on with making another poppyseed, k? 

And the viewers get a week to 'process' Mr. Perfectly Imperfect and his anxiety attacks and sad, dead William and perfect dead Jack and restock their wine. 

If the roundtables are honestly as earnest and self-important as explained in this thread then I may have to start watching. Unintentional laffs are the best kind.... 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

If by "process" they mean give me a week to stop laughing my arse off, then thanks, but I'm pretty much watching this show while running a wine-induced Mystery Science Theater-style commentary and I don't want to ruin the spontaneity. But, since they offered a week to prepare, well then...

I'm predicting the very speshull lost poppyseed ep as follows:..............

I actually want to print your post and put a check by everything you get right.

But wait....what kind of donuts??