Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

43 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I just realized I wrote "Drumpf" the whole time in that post. I did not do that intentionally. Don't know what that means... I guess I unconsciously just don't even want to say Drumpf at this point?

Well his family's surname was that originally. I don't either. Might as well change it back ;).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, candall said:

I'm very depressed and demoralized today.  I was thinking this morning that I don't know whether this clown and his cronies will even have a chance to ruin the country before someone drops a nuke because he wasn't paying attention, or he actively does something to compel it.

I depend on you guys to give me a slap and a shake and get me back to fighting form.

Perfectly understandable. We're watching the absolute nadir of our politics and a particularly harrowing time for our country. You're allowed to be depressed about that! 

Just remember - there are more of us (aka, the people who voted to NOT throw this country down the orange shitter) than there are people who thought this "change" was a great idea. There's always one, tiny small thing you can do to resist. Every day you don't wake up and decide, "eh....Tubby's OK...no biggie...I can close my eyes again," is a victory. 

Rest up, cry, wail...we're not going anywhere. We'll save your seat on the resistance train. :)

• Love 19

I'm very depressed and demoralized today.  I was thinking this morning that I don't know whether this clown and his cronies will even have a chance to ruin the country before someone drops a nuke because he wasn't paying attention, or he actively does something to compel it.

I depend on you guys to give me a slap and a shake and get me back to fighting form.

Hon, being depressed and demoralized today and any day from now on just means you're not insane or stupid. This guy may be a buffoon, but he's dangerous. The press enjoyed the ratings ride he gave their 24-hour new cycle and it decimated the rest of the rethug field. Now everyone is stuck with this shithead and the whole lot of the rethug deplorables and their panting acolytes. Whether tRump ever sits one second behind the desk in the Oval Office (and my bet's on it's a solid that he WILL be there), or it's Pence steering the Ship of State, their appointees and the amen chorus in both chambers of the rethug-held congress are going to DECIMATE this country. If you're not one of the One Percenters, or other "high income earners" (and I'm speaking in the upper six figure categories), you're fuck out of luck, whether you're white, old young or a spotted dick. Everyone else in this country and the rest of the world, the planet, whether it walks on two legs, upright, or on four, crawls, slides or jumps out of the oceans, is FUCKED forever. The age of tRumpism is now a post-apocalyptic age. I don't believe it's survivable, or if it is, it won't be worth much living in.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 18

In addition, he had the whole issue with the abuse of his "charity" that he has now had to come clean about. He has admitted to violating the "Self Dealings" provision when it comes to charities and used money from said charity to buy two large portraits of himself, one of which hangs at the bar and grill in one of his golf clubs. He's also used money from the charity to settle various lawsuits completely unreleated to the charity, among other things.

By doing this, Trump also committed perjury. He signed off on the IRS forms and other paperwork stating that he was not doing any of these activities. Those forms are signed and must be truthful under penalty of perjury or law. He signed these knowing he violated the rules.

In addition to all of his other issues, the man has admitted to being guilty of an offense for which you can be jailed. He won't be, of course, which is why his people are trying to get in front of this by admitting to it and hope that he just has to reimburse the misappropriated funds and pay some fines.

In any case, how can we have this in the White House? This is trivial compared to so many other things he's already done or has said he will do, yet it is a major issue. If anyone of us cheated on our taxes or didn't pay them for close to 20 years, we would be in jail. He should have been locked up ages ago, plain and simple.

And yet here he is as the President Elect. I really am having difficulty understanding how he can continually commit crimes and still be eligible for office. 

I don't believe he will back out.  See above, he knows he can do whatever he wants and he just continues on.   No one stands up to him.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I just realized I wrote "Drumpf" the whole time in that post. I did not do that intentionally. Don't know what that means... I guess I unconsciously just don't even want to say Drumpf at this point?

Well his family's surname was that originally. I don't either. Might as well change it back ;).

I can't believe I did it again in my post about it! I do know it's the original family name, but I never decided to make a point or anything by using it.

2 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I don't believe he will back out.  See above, he knows he can do whatever he wants and he just continues on.   No one stands up to him.

Yeah, I think this is part of what makes it so horrible. It really is like that Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life." Only the kid doesn't actually have the power. People just pretend that he does. Re: why he's not too worried about filling all those positions quickly, I'm sure he thinks he can just take as much time as he wants. Remember he doesn't see why they're important so he's probably sure everything can run without them.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

I can't believe I did it again in my post about it! I do know it's the original family name, but I never decided to make a point or anything by using it.

Yeah, I think this is part of what makes it so horrible. It really is like that Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life." Only the kid doesn't actually have the power. People just pretend that he does. Re: why he's not too worried about filling all those positions quickly, I'm sure he thinks he can just take as much time as he wants. Remember he doesn't see why they're important so he's probably sure everything can run without them.

Ah. I'm doing the opposite. I'm avoiding their current name. ;) It's just more sane. I'm even using an app called 'make Donald Drumpf again', just so I don't have to see the other name.

• Love 2

But, overall, their base will believe them when they say that their policies are being undermined by something Warren, Sanders, et al, are pushing for, or that their changes would work if only they're allowed to make this one more change, or their policies would work if it wasn't for the illegals/poor/elderly/Muslims/gays/minorities who aren't pulling their weight.  And, of course, "this policy will work once we've had a few years to undo the damage President Obama caused."  You know that's coming.  They'll buy themselves enough time to win the midterms, ensuring their majority remains intact.  

That (usually) only works for a time. I'm thinking a lot of tRump's luster is going to dull pretty quickly for a great many of these folks pretty damn fast. Like immediately after January 20th. Ryan, along with this Georgia Dr. Mengele, are hellbent for leather to scuttle Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security. The younger folks in the country are not affected (at the moment, but they will be soon) by the talk of Medicare vouchers so that seniors can "go purchase" healthcare insurance in the "marketplace" (according to Josh Marshall on TPM, these guys are talking about implementation within 6 months!). Think it's hard to purchase insurance when you're 30? 40? How 'bout 70? Think buying, yet alone paying for insurance at 80, is going to be a slam dunk? Think again, pumpkin. I'm wondering just how much buying power tRump Dollars for Senior Healthcare will have in that ol' tRump deregulated insurance market? All those seniors - some of them the parents of these younger voters who never thought about Medicare or Social Security much before, because it was too far out there in the future for them to worry about and their own aging parents were solidly covered, suddenly seeing those aging parents right now - TODAY- and realizing that the burden for their care and expenses in old age is probably going to be landing full in their laps (unless, of course, their parents and they are part of that 1% or High-Income Earner group). Kids, I think you can forget about saving for college for your own kids (and paying off your own college tuition loan debt), buying your home or having that third or fourth kid. You're going to be pretty strapped trying to pay for your own expenses, those of your parents, and Aunt Hortense and Grandma Milly. For all the folks who are now covered by insurance plans through Obamacare, who were never able to qualify because of pre-existing medical conditions, how do those folks - those of the lot who might have cast a vote for tRump - how fondly are they going feel about their orange hero when they or another of their family members are thrown off their existing healthcare insurance  and they are precluded from qualifying for insurance anywhere else? And what're the odds that tRump and his cronies in the rethug congress are going to stay popular for long when they start jiggering around with Social Security? One thing the rust belt middle-age and senior population agree on is how much they like their Social Security and Medicare. When it's gutted, how long is their favorite party going to remain their favorite party?

I think those are some pretty compelling reasons tRump and his rethug enablers in the congress aren't going to be able to fob off blame to the Democrats on THOSE asshat policy decisions. The Dems are going (most of them I imagine anyway) to fight hammer and tong to prevent this from happening. But. They. Don't. Have. The. Numbers. To. Prevail. So, it's these headlines I see coming to a newspaper or ezine soon: Obamacare Repealed. Replacement Pending; Republican Congress Passes Medicare Privatization; Social Security Phase-Out on the Way, Promises Republican Speaker.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Randomly,  an opinion piece from an educated woman:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article116801783.html

I'm always on the lookout for someone who can explain to me how they bent their minds around voting for that . . . person.  This article is "I'm An Educated Woman And I Backed T.  Here's Why."  Okay, lady, I'm all ears.  Why? 

Here's the part of the article with her reasoning:

After eight years of ineffective leadership, it was time for an epochal change.

My biggest priorities in this election were the economy and national security. Trump’s pro-growth agenda will address much-needed tax reform, massive challenges of the Affordable Care Act and it will restore equilibrium between accountability and burdensome regulation. Unleashing the potential of individuals and businesses will create greater prosperity and innovation.

Lastly, I was attracted to a Trump presidency because I sincerely believed only someone as unorthodox and bold as he could take on the deeply infested establishment and extremely dysfunctional system that exists in the federal government. As a non-career politician and businessman, he thinks differently and his unconventional and nonconformist campaign proves it.

Now, you know, if DT had rustled up a bunch of brilliant minds from the private sector** that weren't previously involved in politics, I might be able to understand her thinking that "it's just all gone so terribly wrong, let's wipe the slate and start over."  But she's going public with her T support NOW?  On 11/26/16?  This "former community college president" still finds it all just refreshingly unconventional and delightfully unorthodox?   Everything's proceeding according to the 'greater prosperity and innovation' plan?!?!?   

[**Oh, wait--I forgot about Steven Bannon--I guess he's as politically inexperienced and "bold" as DT.]

Anyway, stay away from the Comments section, unless you want to claw at your eyes--lots of people whipping out their PhD credentials to applaud their own T votes, right before they remark on Hillary's international pedophile ring or Obama's laziness.

Note:  I tried to reply, but I don't do Facebook and I'm not buying a subscription to the Charlotte Observer.  I want to say to her, however, that while she says she's not racist and decries the "elitist attitude" that lumps T supporters into certain categories, she now has something very much in common with the KKK.  As the mother of a "multicultural son conceived with an Iranian Muslim former husband," does this woman not realize that many of the people she has politically aligned with would happily hurl a rock her direction, or, okay, maybe just put her name on a list?

Feel free to pass that along, if you get the chance.

Edited by candall
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

From the op ed piece:

In the early days, I never considered Trump a serious contender. But as the campaign evolved, a significant change in mindset emerged.

South Park was right; those damn Member Berries will get you. Every. Fucking. Time.

Listening more intently to the messages of both Clinton and Trump along with analyzing revelations from WikiLeaks and the FBI investigation led me to believe the system was way beyond badly broken.

I wonder if the "analyzing" included doing her own research from multiple, creditable sources, or if it was limited to discussions (or Faux news).

While most uncomfortable with some of Trump’s inappropriate and disturbing rhetoric, I like many others chose to take his comments seriously but not literally, as Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal columnist, so aptly described.

Um, okay.

My biggest priorities in this election were the economy and national security. Trump’s pro-growth agenda will address much-needed tax reform, massive challenges of the Affordable Care Act and it will restore equilibrium between accountability and burdensome regulation. Unleashing the potential of individuals and businesses will create greater prosperity and innovation.

Boy howdy, was that ever a time to ask yourself "how does he plan to do that"!

Lastly, I was attracted to a Trump presidency because I sincerely believed only someone as unorthodox and bold as he could take on the deeply infested establishment and extremely dysfunctional system that exists in the federal government. As a non-career politician and businessman, he thinks differently and his unconventional and nonconformist campaign proves it.

Not only is he going to take it on, he's going to grab it by the ...

The earthquake election results have offered a very clear message and mandate for Democrats and Republicans alike. Change is needed and action is expected.

It wasn't a mandate, but okay. I respect that her opinion was measured, and well-written. I don't agree with it at all, but whatever. I'd be very interested to see if she feels the same way in a year or two about the Great American Shake-up.

Edited by bittersweet4149
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

The overtime rule thing is a great example of what I was saying in my last post - that the GOP manage to control the narrative and get their supporters to place blame where it doesn't belong.  I've honestly seen GOP voters saying things like "well that rule was going to ruin small businesses.  You can't force a small business to give anyone who makes $30,000 per year an instant raise to $47,000 per year."  They managed to pick a couple numbers out of the actual rule, and then they rearranged them to make the rule look like something it isn't, to justify taking a sledge hammer to it.  A lot of those voters have no idea how close they came to having something good happen for them, something that could make a real positive difference in their economic situation, only to have Ryan kill it before they can experience it.  Trump may be the master at manipulating the narrative, but the GOP has been working up to him for years.  

For those who wonder how a cretin with no government experience could pull off the biggest con we've ever seen in our lifetimes, the above clearly illustrates how it can happen.  We can also see how easy it is for people to vote against their own economic interests for 30+ years and be okay with it.  That's why I'm all out of patience from hearing about how "working class white voters" have been hurting and feel ignored.  Really?  Try looking in the fucking mirror.  Or, better yet--join the fucking club comprising those of us of color who have always struggled to get our piece of the pie.  For all the butt hurt about how Washington and the "elites" don't pay them any mind, I've yet to hear any acknowledgement from these same folks whatsoever that maybe, just maybe, their repeatedly drinking the Kool-Aid put them one step closer to a soup kitchen and a care package.

These are the same people who railed for years about President Obama being a dictator.  Meanwhile, Drumpf's brats with Ivana are meeting with potential cabinet members, world leaders and are taking over his international businesses.  They insulted Obama's intellect, implying that he was the "affirmative action" president.  Yet, they willingly chose a fool who will be conducting foreign policy in 140 characters or less.  

I have to give the GOP credit though.  No matter what, they know how to get their talking points out there, and they stay on message. 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

For those who wonder how a cretin with no government experience could pull off the biggest con we've ever seen in our lifetimes, the above clearly illustrates how it can happen.  We can also see how easy it is for people to vote against their own economic interests for 30+ years and be okay with it.  That's why I'm all out of patience from hearing about how "working class white voters" have been hurting and feel ignored.  Really?  Try looking in the fucking mirror.  Or, better yet--join the fucking club comprising those of us of color who have always struggled to get our piece of the pie.  For all the butt hurt about how Washington and the "elites" don't pay them any mind, I've yet to hear any acknowledgement from these same folks whatsoever that maybe, just maybe, their repeatedly drinking the Kool-Aid put them one step closer to a soup kitchen and a care package.

These are the same people who railed for years about President Obama being a dictator.  Meanwhile, Drumpf's brats with Ivana are meeting with potential cabinet members, world leaders and are taking over his international businesses.  They insulted Obama's intellect, implying that he was the "affirmative action" president.  Yet, they willingly chose a fool who will be conducting foreign policy in 140 characters or less.  

I have to give the GOP credit though.  No matter what, they know how to get their talking points out there, and they stay on message. 

Preach! The doors of the church are open.*

*It's not a right-wing, conservative church, tho. ;)

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

I'm thinking a lot of tRump's luster is going to dull pretty quickly for a great many of these folks pretty damn fast. Like immediately after January 20th. Ryan, along with this Georgia Dr. Mengele, are hellbent for leather to scuttle Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security. The younger folks in the country are not affected (at the moment, but they will be soon) by the talk of Medicare vouchers so that seniors can "go purchase" healthcare insurance in the "marketplace" (according to Josh Marshall on TPM, these guys are talking about implementation within 6 months!). Think it's hard to purchase insurance when you're 30? 40? How 'bout 70? Think buying, yet alone paying for insurance at 80, is going to be a slam dunk? Think again, pumpkin. I'm wondering just how much buying power tRump Dollars for Senior Healthcare will have in that ol' tRump deregulated insurance market?

This is the biggest con Trump and Ryan are pulling.  Yes, let's repeal Obamacare!  And replace Medicare with....guess what?  Obamacare! 

Privatizing Medicare by forcing people to buy it from private insurers using vouchers is the same thing as doing so and getting tax credits.  And the costs will increase, unregulated, just like the private insurers offering Obamacare. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, backformore said:

The billionaire thing -   Two things struck me recently, that were similar.   When Trump was on the Celebrity Roast show, being roasted by comedians, someone revealed that he was given the opportunity to veto certain subjects.  I guess this is standard, that a celeb can ask that a failed marriage, or arrest, not be brought up.   according to what I read, Trump had ONE caveat  - that they not imply or say that he's not as rich as he claims.  Not infidelity, not lusting after his daughter, just that one weak spot - being called Not a billionaire.  It reminded me of reading about how he did a guest spot on the TV show "The Nanny"  many years ago.  Fran Dresher had a line that was something like "all you millionaires are alike"  directed at her boss and Trump.  Trump demanded that the line be changed to "all you BILLIONAIRES are alike."   It may seem like a small thing, but it gives a glimpse into his psyche.  He didn't want to be referred to as a mere millionaire, even in a fictional TV sitcom.

His weak spot is that people will think he is not wealthy.    That's why he has to have his own plane, why he has to have his apartment decked out in gold, why his name has to be so big on all his buildings.  It's his public declaration that he is, indeed the richest, most prominent man in America.  

That's why I don't believe for one second he's a billionaire.  Frankly, I wish corporate media would stop referring to him as a billionaire until he provides actual proof that he is one.

He made the mistake that a lot of nouveau riche people make.  He thinks his money can buy him respectability so he surrounds himself with the trappings of wealth--the gaudy, tacky furniture and furnishings, the blinged out Stepford wife, the limousines, penthouse, Florida estate, private jet, etc.  He's even manage to convince Madison Avenue's ad men that his name is a luxury brand.  Imagine how shocked I was to learn that he hawks home furnishings under his "brand," including hotel bedding, items described as "luxury handmade furniture," a home lighting collection (which is sold on Amazon to less-than-rave reviews), a home chandelier collection, and a home mirror collection (also sold on Amazon).  Even his collection of wives have to have the appearance of being high-end pieces of property to inspire envy.  He has to have the biggest and the best.  And, of course, as he pointed out, "[t]he difference between [him] and the other candidates is that [he's] more honest and [his] women are more beautiful."

Instead of the respectability he so desperately craves from the people he really wants to impress, they are laughing and sneering at him behind his back and find him a necessary evil.  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Menrva said:

Seriously, I really fucking hate him. And his entire disgusting family. And the fuckwads he's choosing to populate his cabinet and advisory team. Every time I think I'm starting to be functional again, I see his face on the TV or online and I want to puke. He is the fucking Antichrist. And all those idiot "Christians" proclaiming their Orange Savior make me really glad I converted to judaism. Because if this is what it means to call yourself christian these days…no, thank you.

Every day, another stupid tweet, another appalling choice for important positions, another indignity. More reports of entitled white assholes spouting off about how they're being mistreated by the "libtards" and how they're taking America back. I love how Tang the Conqueror blathered on about how America was a cesspool when he was running, but now things are great because he won. And the Democrats were talking about how great this country is - guess we were wrong too.

I’m nearly finished with the post I offered in response to HumblePi’s request a week or so ago, but every time I think about sharing it, Trump releases another silly tweet and makes it that much harder for me to explain why I still support him.

I remember when I took my father to a movie I thought he’d enjoy based on the subject matter. Unfortunately, he was one who never liked to hear foul language, and this movie was filled with it. On its face, I didn’t mind the profanity because I’ve used it myself occasionally when I’m alone or with other people. Yet when I sat next to my father in that theater, I was cringing at every dirty word, and I felt guilty for having brought him there.

Anyway, I can still share my thoughts on Trump if anyone wants to read them. Otherwise, I’ll gladly file the post away and move on.

I'm sorry. This is rude to say, but all those reasons don't add up for me--certainly not balanced against all the (many, many) crazy and hateful things he said and advocated. And his incredible lack of financial transparency--along with his 6 bankruptcy filings and 20 years of not paying income tax. Plus lying about giving to charity--or, really, doing anything for anyone.  And then there's his treatment of women, including Megyn Kelly, Michelle Fields and Pussygate.  And Miss Venezuela.  And the wonderful Gold Star Khan family.  And POW John McCain. 

Well, we could go on and on.  So, to be blunt, I don't believe the reasons she gives for supporting him.

Except, maybe, a version of the last one.  I think she's a white Christian woman who is sick of liberalism and wants a strong man who's going to come into the White House and kick butt, not keep trying to "get along" with Democrats.  That's his "bold, unconventional" appeal.  He's a jerk, but he's going to slap down Democrats, yay.

We see all the time on the news, people with education and credentials who support Trump. I don't think their education and credentials has anything to do with that support. (And Germany in the 30s was the best educated nation in Europe.  Albert Speer's books are very instructive in that regard, the "Good Nazi".)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 20
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

He's not qualified to be class president . 

He's not qualified to be president of his own damn fan club.

I’m nearly finished with the post I offered in response to HumblePi’s request a week or so ago, but every time I think about sharing it, Trump releases another silly tweet and makes it that much harder for me to explain why I still support him.

I remember when I took my father to a movie I thought he’d enjoy based on the subject matter. Unfortunately, he was one who never liked to hear foul language, and this movie was filled with it. On its face, I didn’t mind the profanity because I’ve used it myself occasionally when I’m alone or with other people. Yet when I sat next to my father in that theater, I was cringing at every dirty word, and I felt guilty for having brought him there.

Anyway, I can still share my thoughts on Trump if anyone wants to read them. Otherwise, I’ll gladly file the post away and move on.

SyracuseMug, I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm just so frustrated by all of this and I have few places to bitch about it…

Feeling powerless is so awful and despite the community service I'm involved in, it only helps a little bit. I don't want to live in a cave for the next 4 years and I really don't need smugness from the "winners". I want to raise my kids and do my art and feel like I'm contributing something good to the world. Something that might make a difference, albeit a small one. But then the horror show of the presidential transition looms before me and I think, how am I supposed to make things better in the face of all that? My daughters are a little fearful of the future. We've had some racial slurs and insults throw around at our very diverse schools. They are afraid for their friends. I think of my own assault in college and pray my girls will never experience what I did. That they won't hide in shame as I did. How will the president-elect give us hope for the future, when he seems so mired in the past?

• Love 14
41 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

Anyway, I can still share my thoughts on Trump if anyone wants to read them. Otherwise, I’ll gladly file the post away and move on

I'm not a mod or @HumblePi, but FWIW:

As of now, we are still in a democratic country with freedom of speech and this board is still open for all to post and for all to respond as they like. 

I'd like to keep it that way.

And I will admit I'm  a wee bit curious as to how someone can keep supporting Tubby in all his bullshit and anti-American stances, but I haven't seen anything new other than:

1. White supremacy (veiled or not) fascism - yay!

2. A belief in "change" because government was "messed up" (I won't get into how CONGRESS is also a MASSIVE part of this equation and ain't nobody talkin' about how they tried to throw out any of the Repubs who've hosed up the works for years)

3. Fear of terrorism in their own backyard (which is the 9/11 theme, different verse) 

4. Vague economic woes (health care is too expensive....because it was freakin' PERFECT before Obamacare and EVERYBODY could get affordable health care through private insurance.

Or, as Padma has so succinctly pointed out:

I think she's [author of article linked above - the apparent PhDs for Tubby movement -]* a white Christian woman who is sick of liberalism and wants a strong man who's going to come into the White House and kick butt, not keep trying to "get along" with Democrats.

*The bracketed portion is me, in all my liberal, angry, cynicism. Not Padma. Her posts have a wicked game face. ;)

That's what I hear, but I'd be delighted to read a new twist. The original flavor is already getting stale.

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Interesting article. I never thought I'd even remotely tolerate anything that Gingrich said, but this little bit was kind of okay:

But he also said that Trump's biggest misstep in the three weeks since he won the White House was to post on Twitter Sunday a complaint asserting widespread voter fraud, and in an election he won. "In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide," Trump wrote, "I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally."

"The president of the United States can't randomly tweet without having somebody check it out," Gingrich told USA TODAY's weekly video newsmaker series. "It makes you wonder about whatever else he's doing. It undermines much more than a single tweet."

Does he see any evidence of millions of illegal votes?

"No," Gingrich says

This part, and pretty much everything else in the article that Gingrich said, not okay and basically the same kind of bullshit we hear from Newt all the time:

The former House speaker, who led a political disruption of his own when Republicans won control of the House of Representatives in 1994, says the best thing Trump has done so far is to name campaign chairman Steve Bannon and Republican national chairman Reince Priebus to his top White House staff. "You have a very hard-line conservative warrior as your chief strategist and you have a really sophisticated manager of the establishment as your chief of staff," he says.

So "very hard-line conservative warrior" is Newt-speak for being a "bigly" KKK flag waiving racist.

Also, thought this was kind of funny:

"He should tweet, but he ought to have an editorial board in-between the first draft and sending it," he suggests — not an idea Trump seems likely to accept. "But he shouldn't give it up, and he shouldn't give up being Donald Trump. He got elected being this unique, charismatic, entrepreneurial guy who breaks lots of rules. ... If he starts getting to be normal, he'll cease being Donald J. Trump."

He's admitting Trump isn't "normal," which, of course, we all knew. He also advocates for not taking away Trump's toy, but instead for basically having the "Parental Control" features enabled.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

I would be interested to see what you have to say. I hope you don't mind rebuttals or additional questions after you post. I would love it if someone could convince me that him in power isn't the worst possible scenario for this country.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I would be interested to see what you have to say. I hope you don't mind rebuttals or additional questions after you post. I would love it if someone could convince me that him in power isn't the worst possible scenario for this country.  

Yeah, me too. I'm interested in hearing  from a supporter. I think one of the things that got us here was the DNC not really listening to differing opinions and I don't want to make the same mistake. 

I have disliked Trump from the get-go - I have an innate revulsion for him lasting decades. During the campaign I've tried to put aside my general disgust and look at what he's saying instead of just how he says it, and so forth. 

I've had some issues with Hillary and Clinton fatigue too, so I wasn't just skipping into the election booth. I knew that regardless of who won, both parties had a lot soul-searching to do. 

But the bottom line to me - putting aside the racism and misogyny stuff - was that one of the candidates was prepared and able to roll up her sleeves and do the job immediately and the other was not. And that has borne itself out.  

And he is turning out to be so much worse than my worst nightmares - and someone who is all too able to be manipulated bc he's wholly dependent on others to do his job. I've never been scared of a president, really scared, until now.  

Edited by BBDi
  • Love 14

So Newt said pretty much exactly what I predicted would be said to justify letting Trump continue to tweet in a manner unbecoming the President - "this is who he is and why he was elected.  We can't stop him from being him."  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

So Newt said pretty much exactly what I predicted would be said to justify letting Trump continue to tweet in a manner unbecoming the President - "this is who he is and why he was elected.  We can't stop him from being him."  

And "I and everyone else afraid of getting on his bad side and he'll tweet mean things about me and then I won't have a job and people will start threatening me."

16 minutes ago, BBDi said:

And he is turning out to be so much worse than my worst nightmares - and someone who is all too able to be manipulated bc he's wholly dependent on others to do his job. I've never been scared of a president, really scared, until now.  

And those who  he is relying on don't have anybody's interests but their own to further agendas and "run" the country. 

All of it is truly scary and I fear for everyone . 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

I think its very nice that you have put so much thought into sharing with people on this board why you support Trump ("then"--pre voting--even more important perhaps than "now" after all the recent tweeting).  I would definitely be interested to read it. I won't critique it, though. I've immersed myself so much in Trump pro and con in the past year that I'm afraid I have a very closed mind. Still interested, but I know my limits! I will let other, much nicer, Trump critics here  respond and not try to argue against your points. 

I admire your willingness to post in an environment that you know largely doesn't see it the same way.. And who knows? Maybe you'll change minds--if not about Trump himself, that at least about explanations for his support. 

• Love 6

Break out your checkbooks:

Trump Committee Offers $1 Million Packages for Inauguration Donors

According to a packet obtained by Variety, those who give $1 million or more to the committee will receive four tickets to a “leadership luncheon,” an event with cabinet appointees and House and Senate leadership; 4 tickets to an “intimate dinner with Vice President-elect Mike Pence and Mrs. Karen Pence”; eight tickets to a “ladies luncheon,” with an “opportunity to meet the ladies of the first families”; eight tickets to a victory reception, billed as a “victory reception”; eight tickets to a “candlelight dinner” with appearances by the Trumps and the Pences; eight tickets to an inaugural concert and fireworks on the National Mall; eight tickets to the inaugural parade; and “premier access” tickets to a black-tie inaugural ball.

I'd rather light myself on fire but YMMV!

• Love 19

SyracuseMug- I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on why you supported Trump. I'd be even more interested in what you think is different about Trumps tweets or behavior now than how he behaved prior to the election. ( you said you are having trouble explaining your support now). 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Zero sympathy, sorry.  Yeah, I'm not a "soft-ass liberal" as Trump supporters I know call every non-Trump voter.  I can be a vindictive fuck; I know I need to work on that, but having recently turned 30 y.o., I am MUCH better than I used to be.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/803725195034955780

HX0M2Ir.png

Reminds me about the people voting against Brexit who were doing on the Google searches for "EU" the next day. "Oh, that is what we're losing? I like what we get with the EU!"

Kurt Eichenwald really thought his Newsweek articles would stop Trump.  Probably Washington Post's David Fahrenthold (who did such monumental work on Tubby's financial records and corruption) thought the same.

I can't imagine how they must feel, but kudos to Eichenwald (and Newsweek) for keeping up the fight.

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Zero sympathy, sorry.  Yeah, I'm not a "soft-ass liberal" as Trump supporters I know call every non-Trump voter.  I can be a vindictive fuck; I know I need to work on that, but having recently turned 30 y.o., I am MUCH better than I used to be.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/803725195034955780

HX0M2Ir.png

Good. Fuck them. I mean, seriously. They fucked us all with their stupid, uninformed vote. Now they can live with the consequences along with the rest of us who tried to tell them the shit they believed on Facebook was lies. 

• Love 23
Just now, NewDigs said:

Stand by for a Carrier statement from der gropenfurher .

Wonder what kind of incentives were offered. 

Wonder how they balanced P&L.

I was just about to post something about that.

Trump, Carrier Reach Deal to Keep 1K Jobs at Indy Plant
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/Trump-Carrier-Reach-Deal-to-Keep-1000-Jobs-in-Indiana-Plant-403677376.html

Yeah, curious what was promised . 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, NewDigs said:

Stand by for a Carrier statement from der gropenfurher .

Wonder what kind of incentives were offered. 

Wonder how they balanced P&L.

I'm curious to hear the trade offs as well - however, from the early reports I've heard, it won't save all 1400 jobs, but should save about 1000 of them and also that the deal may be short term.

We'll have to wait and see - and I won't believe Trump's statement - I want to hear what Carrier and the people that work there say about it. Did they sell their souls to the devil to give Trump a short term win? The long term implications are really what I'm more interested in.

• Love 9

Fuck Trump.

I thought of a great idea for a reality show.  We put cameras on Gropenfuhrer and the entire country watches...him take the citizenship test!  And if he passes, he can stay President.  And when he fails we oust his ass right the fuck out.

Fucking hell I hate him.  

I only watched one season of "The Apprentice" and Clay Aiken came in second in something, again, and I have no desire to watch Arnold's version because the entire franchise has the taint of Drumpf but what I fervently wish is that Arnold barks out "you're fired" in his natural accent and that becomes a catchphrase and everyone crows about how much better it is when Arnold says it.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

I'm curious to hear the trade offs as well - however, from the early reports I've heard, it won't save all 1400 jobs, but should save about 1000 of them and also that the deal may be short term.

We'll have to wait and see - and I won't believe Trump's statement - I want to hear what Carrier and the people that work there say about it. Did they sell their souls to the devil to give Trump a short term win? The long term implications are really what I'm more interested in.

According to the article, 10% of United Technologies' (Carrier's parent company) revenue comes from the federal government, mostly the Pentagon.  I can see how a deal could be cut for purchasing more Carrier equipment, at the taxpayer's expense, in exchange for Carrier to keep some jobs here to help fill that extra purchase by the federal government, for a while. 

Roughly 10 percent of United Technologies’ $56 billion in revenues comes from the federal government, with the Pentagon its single largest customer. Its Pratt & Whitney division, for example, supplies the engines for the Air Force’s most advanced fighters and host of other planes.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Trump.

I thought of a great idea for a reality show.  We put cameras on Gropenfuhrer and the entire country watches...him take the citizenship test!  And if he passes, he can stay President.  And when he fails we oust his ass right the fuck out.

Fucking hell I hate him.  

I only watched one season of "The Apprentice" and Clay Aiken came in second in something, again, and I have no desire to watch Arnold's version because the entire franchise has the taint of Drumpf but what I fervently wish is that Arnold barks out "you're fired" in his natural accent and that becomes a catchphrase and everyone crows about how much better it is when Arnold says it.

Please. Arnold's catchphrase when he cans someone is totally gonna be "Get Out!"

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

Perfectly understandable. We're watching the absolute nadir of our politics and a particularly harrowing time for our country. You're allowed to be depressed about that! 

Just remember - there are more of us (aka, the people who voted to NOT throw this country down the orange shitter) than there are people who thought this "change" was a great idea. There's always one, tiny small thing you can do to resist. Every day you don't wake up and decide, "eh....Tubby's OK...no biggie...I can close my eyes again," is a victory. 

Rest up, cry, wail...we're not going anywhere. We'll save your seat on the resistance train. :)

Thank you, PotatoRadio, good stuff, much appreciated.  I woke up this morning so despondent I was thinking, "What's the point?  We are all truly and irrevocably fucked."  But I had several pages to catch up on here and ironically, the link to the article by the pro-T woman with the higher education--who's in charge of other peoples' higher education--sparked me. 

C'mon, TooMuchSoap, rally back with me.  I feel fatalistic, too, but at this point, who's to say anything is beyond imagination?  Fuck it, we might all end up in the hills, screaming Wolverines! at each other.

• Love 4

I like the new swipe menu on the iPhone so you get four news stories that the phone thinks you will like.

I DO NOT appreciate that Apple keeps trying to foist FOX News on me.  Quit it, Cook.  I will never link on one of those stories, especially with headlines like "We Suck Drumpf's Cock and Why You Should Too".

And tonight there is one from CNN that says "The Three Women of Color Trump Has Appointed, So Far."  Umm, bully for him?  It's all smoke and mirrors, CNN.  Get with the program.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 16
44 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

I'm curious to hear the trade offs as well - however, from the early reports I've heard, it won't save all 1400 jobs, but should save about 1000 of them and also that the deal may be short term

The article from the NYT says that about half of the jobs will be saved BECAUSE Tubby promised easing regulations and fucking up the corporate tax code so that...huh? Whassat? Oh, the CEOs probably get richer, the environment and safe working conditions and unions and overtime pay are gone, and half of the people will get to keep their jobs short term. 

Oh, that's a big, fat, win, Tubby. Please proceed. 

• Love 13

One of my local news guys tweeted hopefully "maybe this new plan will bring Carrier jobs back to Syracuse...?"  Sorry Matt, I think that ship has sailed.  SU is looking to sell the naming rights to the Carrier Dome when it gets remodeled anyways.

You guys I wandered into the comments section of a CNN tweet about the Carrier deal. It was a dark and scary place and I was lucky to get out with my sanity intact.

• Love 4

I’m watching Rachel Maddow, and apparently, Trump’s recommendation for Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tom Price, wants to get rid of coverage for those with pre-existing conditions, even though this is one thing Trump himself said he would keep during his 60 Minutes interview. Price also wants to defund Planned Parenthood and, this is the one of the worst things I’ve heard, he thinks that employers should be able to fire employees who use birth control or for having an abortion, he also says that healthcare plans shouldn’t cover birth control because, according to him, not one woman in America has trouble affording contraception. What type of contraception, exactly? What about those with health conditions who are limited in the type they can use or those that use certain types of birth control to treat other medical conditions as approved by the FDA?

What a complete disgrace. I am beyond disgusted at giving employers the right to fire a woman because she uses birth control or has had an abortion. Does that mean they can fire all men who use condoms or has gotten a woman pregnant and that resulted, for whatever reason, in an abortion as well? Whether or not I use birth control is of no concern to my employer. HPPA exists for a reason. And as for pre-existing conditions, I guess that would include men with ED or those who have prostate issues, etc. That means that they are going to have to start paying for those things out of pocket now.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

I’m watching Rachel Maddow, and apparently, Trump’s recommendation for Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tom Price, wants to get rid of coverage for those with pre-existing conditions, even though this is one thing Trump himself said he would keep during his 60 Minutes interview. Price also wants to defund Planned Parenthood and, this is the one of the worst things I’ve heard, he thinks that employers should be able to fire employees who use birth control or for having an abortion, he also says that healthcare plans shouldn’t cover birth control because, according to him, not one woman in America has trouble affording contraception. What type of contraception, exactly? What about those with health conditions who are limited in the type they can use or those that use certain types of birth control to treat other medical conditions as approved by the FDA?

What a complete disgrace. I am beyond disgusted at giving employers the right to fire a woman because she uses birth control or has had an abortion. Does that mean they can fire all men who use condoms? Whether or not I use birth control is of no concern to my employer. HPPA exists for a reason. And as for pre-existing conditions, I guess that would include men with ED or those who have prostate issues, etc. That means that they are going to have to start paying for those things out of pocket now.

Oh no they won't. Men are their 'special snowflakes'. Gotta keep that lil dick up ya know.*

*Note: Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. It's such a damn double standard.

They'll take away woman's right to choose, birth control, etc., just so they can go back to their precious barefoot and pregnant obsession they have.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

What a complete disgrace. Whether or not I use birth control is of no concern to my employer. HPPA exists for a reason. And as for pre-existing conditions, I guess that would include men with ED or those who have prostate issues, etc. That means that they are going to have to start paying for those things out of pocket now.

Going to be some empty workplaces cause Condoms are birth control .  oh wait I'm sure he just means the birth control that only pertains to women of course how stupid of me.  This is unacceptable . 

• Love 4