Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So many random thoughts....

The whole time i was just thinking to myself - sometimes stereotypes are true. 

Kentucky looked beautiful. (Landscape-wise)

What was Rachel's fiance/husband's accent? It wasn't like the others. There were moments when it sounded like a country Jackie O with a bit of a speech impediment.

I still don't really get what tractor pulling is.  Is it based on weight length or speed, or all?

I think it's fine to serve BBQ if that's what you like to eat, it's a really cost effective way to feed a crowd. But maybe expand your palette a little bit? And don't hate on others quite so hard. Did you get food poisoning? No. A 1 is uncalled for. That goat cheese chicken looked like maybe it had sundried tomatoes too?  This is not a new or edgy flavor profile. They have both goat cheese and sundried tomatoes at Walmart.

Taiya's maid of honor is an angel. But also a foot taller than her. That dress did not fit.  Neither did her bra that she wore with the tank top.

The winners - Chelsea & Klayton(?) are going to have to get passports in order to take their honeymoon.

Curious what other venue options in that area are.

23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I can't decide who bothered me more--the high class snobs or the low class snobs. 

For me it was the low class snobs but that's likely due to current events. Both were uncalled for.

3 hours ago, lilly6 said:

I'm fascinated by the mentions of subtitles. I'm in the Cincinnati TV market, about an hour north of Dry Ridge, KY and I don't recall any subtitles.  In fact, I remarked to Mr. Lilly how familiar that brand of accent was to us, that the participants sounded so familiar.   I'm wondering if the network added subtitles in certain markets?

I got them. West Coaster/California here. It  wasn't all his words but Bubby was captioned a few times.

Edited by Refresh
clarify what about KY is beautiful
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I also wonder what Bubby’s government name is.

Donald Keith

eta: People who still have their fb posts/profiles set to public confuse me.

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Christine said:

Did Taiya have parents?  Who raised this woman? 

Base on her manners, I am guessing wolves?

Marie is on this Thursday!!  For those that have missed the awesomeness that is Dracula's Castle......tune in!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 6

From a sociological standpoint, this was an interesting "slice of life in the U.S., " though.    There probably aren't that many venues in their area from which to choose.  They don't have $25,000-100,000 to spend on a wedding (and I've criticized the extravagance of many of them!).  Dress pants don't have a place in their world,  they don't eat out much and aren't exposed to many other types of food, etc.   I totally get all of our comments, but this episode also opened my eyes to life outside my world, and into theirs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

From a sociological standpoint, this was an interesting "slice of life in the U.S., " though.    There probably aren't that many venues in their area from which to choose.  They don't have $25,000-100,000 to spend on a wedding (and I've criticized the extravagance of many of them!).  Dress pants don't have a place in their world,  they don't eat out much and aren't exposed to many other types of food, etc.   I totally get all of our comments, but this episode also opened my eyes to life outside my world, and into theirs.

I totally understand this and I almost thought the show itself was a little bit exploitative.  Usually these shows are done in medium to large cities and it stands to reason that people in rural Kentucky aren't going to be having as sophisticated a wedding as people in Chicago or somewhere.  I'm sure if they wanted more sophisticated weddings they could have found some doctors or rich horse racing people out of Lexington or something like that but they chose just everyday folks.  One of my daughters is interested in a barn wedding and we've talked about ways to do that and keep it classy.  During this episode I told her if she even thought about having her guests carry their own chairs anywhere (who brought them inside at the venue where it was pouring rain?) that I would kill her in her sleep. ;) 

Edited by lilly6
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, lilly6 said:

I totally understand this and I almost thought the show itself was a little bit exploitative.  Usually these shows are done in medium to large cities and it stands to reason that people in rural Kentucky aren't going to be having as sophisticated a wedding as people in Chicago or somewhere. 

I agree - I am in the Twin Cities and you do not have to travel far to find folks like these people in KY.  Places south have pockets of folks who do tractor pulls, only listen to country music and line dance, NEVER travel outside their county, eat Mom and Dad's BBQ every day, marry their middle school sweetheart at 19, have the SAME bunch of friends their entire life and just don't get out much.  Send them to a huff-puffy wedding in Uptown (THE place in south Mpls) and they would be like, WHAT??

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4

I do think the show was being a bit exploitive but also think at times the contestants played up the stereotype of the area for the camera. I think many of the "big" city brides have done the same thing.

• Love 4

One of my pet peeves... jeans at weddings.  (or funerals for that matter)  I get that it's all a matter of personal preference, but I still hate it.  

But that brings me to another peeve...  brides who complain about dress codes/costumes/ special requests.   If the bridal couple requests you to wear sackcloth and ashes, you do it because it's what they want!  It's NOT YOUR DAY!  Suck it up and console yourself knowing that you made someone else happy for once...

• Love 8
17 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Apologies to anyone from that area, but Tayia was just dumb. As a stump. A 1 for food?? Really? When you GOT food? A 1 is for when you were offered nada. 

I also have to reiterate how much I hate the cake smash. So disrespectful. Tayia and Bubby's cake smash was downright violent. That and her saying how she'd laugh at him if he ever wore a tux--sounds like a relationship on the verge of turning bad.

That cake smash was really aggressive. The way they interacted was downright uncomfortable and I agree it looked on the verge of being  bad. They gave us so much backstory we didn't want but nothing on why Tayia is living with Bubby's family and evidently has none of her own or how Chelsey and whatshisnames's timeline of having been together six years but having kids with different partners makes any sense.

The grammar, the accents, the refusal to wear anything other than jeans, the table manners... An atrocious episode, especially factoring in the suspicion that the producers probably told them to amp the hillbilly up to 11. Unless they really are that bad, in which case the episode is still atrocious, just without the exploitation element. Ugh.

• Love 11

I thought Rachel and her husband seemed a bit embarrassed by having to play up the hillbilly stereotype.  She looked uncomfortable at the tractor pull. And while Taiya and Chelsey said their hubbys would never leave dry ridge, I got the sense that Rachel doesn’t live there anymore. 

• Love 4

Nothing says “formal wedding” like a tractor pull!  The previous format was a lot of fun, now they’re just trying too hard to be trashy.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - I am in the Twin Cities and you do not have to travel far to find folks like these people in KY.  Places south have pockets of folks who do tractor pulls, only listen to country music and line dance, NEVER travel outside their county, eat Mom and Dad's BBQ every day, marry their middle school sweetheart at 19, have the SAME bunch of friends their entire life and just don't get out much.  Send them to a huff-puffy wedding in Uptown (THE place in south Mpls) and they would be like, WHAT??

I get that they’re from a different environment, but you have tv & movies, you can see how the other half lives!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

I thought Rachel and her husband seemed a bit embarrassed by having to play up the hillbilly stereotype.  She looked uncomfortable at the tractor pull. And while Taiya and Chelsey said their hubbys would never leave dry ridge, I got the sense that Rachel doesn’t live there anymore. 

I was on a FB Live feed and I believe that the Tayia and Chelsea teamed up to bring down Josie.  I think Rachel was on the sidelines.  I noticed when I comment on Taiya being unkind or her party looked thrown together, someone named Rachel was liking all the posts.  It was the Rachel from the wedding!!!  

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

The grammar, the accents, the refusal to wear anything other than jeans, the table manners... An atrocious episode, especially factoring in the suspicion that the producers probably told them to amp the hillbilly up to 11. Unless they really are that bad, in which case the episode is still atrocious, just without the exploitation element. Ugh.

When I wed last October I strongly preferred people not wear jeans, even though it was at 11 in an arboretum.  I never said anything in writing (no insert) nor did we have a wedding website.  Would I have cared?  No, not really, I just wanted people there.  But these chowderheads seem to take pleasure in "Look at me!!  CLEAN BIBS!  I hope my rifle* stays clean, plus I got me some moonshine out in the back!!!"

* = my hubby is a gun/rifle enthusiast, this was not meant as a statement of any kind, lol!

• Love 4

Dressing properly for an event is one of my "things." Also for my husband. I told him about the episode, and that he would have had a heart attack if he'd seen all the jeans at the weddings! Our photographer wore a bolo tie to our wedding and my husband grumbled to me about it.

I understand the culture of wearing your "bib" everywhere, but shouldn't men have just ONE suit for funerals or job interviews and the like?

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was on a FB Live feed and I believe that the Tayia and Chelsea teamed up to bring down Josie.  

Going to make things quite awkward given that Josie’s husband is Bubby’s best friend.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was on a FB Live feed and I believe that the Tayia and Chelsea teamed up to bring down Josie. 

I suspected similar shenanigans on a most of the recent reboot shows.  That's another problem having four contestants with previous connections, particularly when it's usually only two having a genuine close relationship. It seems there is usually one who was pulled in to satisfy production despite the connection being of the six degrees type.  That person will never have a chance.  It appeared to happen in the old format too, but rarely.  

I remember one example from the old format.  One girl seemed pleasant and well-behaved at all the other weddings.  She had a nautical theme.  There were a few snide remarks targeting her made during the episode and at the end the bitchiest of the bunch said something about being glad that Jessica didn't win even though she herself lost.  

Edited by ichbin
Last paragraph
  • Love 2

I thought Tayia was particularly open about the manipulation.   I come from Pennsylvania but have lived in the SW for over 40 years.  At my husband's relative's funerals, several men showed up in bib overalls.   I was pretty shocked the first time it happened but then sort of enjoyed in my own snobby way.  I guess I have been so acclimated to it that I wore black denim to the last memorial in the family.  The weddings I have gone to have been less formal than many of the East Coast weddings but none shocked me except when we had to clean and vacuum the church after a niece's wedding.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I suspected similar shenanigans on a most of the recent reboot shows.  That's another problem having four contestants with previous connections, particularly when it's usually only two having a genuine close relationship. It seems there is usually one who was pulled in to satisfy production despite the connection being of the six degrees type.  That person will never have a chance.  It appeared to happen in the old format too, but rarely.  

I remember one example from the old format.  One girl seemed pleasant and well-behaved at all the other weddings.  She had a nautical theme.  There were a few snide remarks targeting her made during the episode and at the end the bitchiest of the bunch said something about being glad that Jessica didn't win even though she herself lost.  

Yes because the winner in this four way had a dry wedding, a dirt floor and of course, carrying the chairs.  (I need to let that go.)  Rachel really should have been the winner.  Plus I am biased that Chelsea, the winner had the whole IT IS MY DAY whining down pat.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I remember that one! What a bunch of classless, nasty women.

25 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes because the winner in this four way had a dry wedding, a dirt floor and of course, carrying the chairs.  (I need to let that go.)  Rachel really should have been the winner.  Plus I am biased that Chelsea, the winner had the whole IT IS MY DAY whining down pat.

And no friggin' air conditioning! I was absolutely convinced she would come in last place. Yeah, really don't like this new format.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, berwoman said:

brides who complain about dress codes/costumes/ special requests.   If the bridal couple requests you to wear sackcloth and ashes, you do it because it's what they want! 

Hell to the "no".  Houses of worship and reception venues may have dress codes, but otherwise, leave your guests alone.  Adults can decide what to wear, and if they choose something inappropriate, that reflects on them rather than you.  Telling them what to wear can be for no reason other than to have perfectly staged Instagram photos, with your friends and family serving as props. 

• Love 7

Did they ever say what Josie and Taiya did for a living?  Rachel’s a nurse, and Chelsea’s a stay at home mom.  I looked up Dry Ridge, and the median household income is $32,000 a year.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Hell to the "no".  Houses of worship and reception venues may have dress codes, but otherwise, leave your guests alone.  Adults can decide what to wear, and if they choose something inappropriate, that reflects on them rather than you.  Telling them what to wear can be for no reason other than to have perfectly staged Instagram photos, with your friends and family serving as props. 

If people had any sense, the bride & groom wouldn't have to tell them what to wear.  The idiots have no respect for the occasion or the couple.

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Dressing properly for an event is one of my "things."

Thank you!  

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 6

Forgot to mention I thought it was odd that two of the wedding had sweets before dinner: Chelsey the dry wedding win-stealer had cakes and tarts and one of the middle weddings had a candy bar that the other brides raided before dinner. Is this a thing? I did not understand why Chelsey served sweets at her lack-of-cocktail hour.

And how much does it say about the new format that I watched this stupid episode like six hours ago and I cannot readily remember all their names?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

And how much does it say about the new format that I watched this stupid episode like six hours ago and I cannot readily remember all their names?

How much does it say about me that I can remember their names?  Taiya, Chelsea, Rachel and Josie.  (I swear I don't have a DVR/Tivo/VCR....nuthin')

2 hours ago, Quof said:

On wedding boards that is a hot topic:  Wear red!  Wear purple!!  Don't wear black!  Don't wear jeans!  How about letting me dress myself, jackass?  After all, IT IS THEIR DAY - GET IN LINE!   As someone who, as we all know too well, just got done planning and executing a wedding, one reason I can tell you I am still standing is I engaged in NONE of that stuff.  No one cares if your tables are round, oval or square.  We don't care about the ribbon color on the chair sash, favors, matchy matchy bridesmaids, bridesmaid proposals - huh??  I preferred people NOT wear jeans but hey if they did......who the hell really cares?  I want them to attend.  None of my family wore their new BIBS for goodness sake!

• Love 5

I've been mulling over the idea that this episode was exploitative of this group. For me, most of it was no, but there was a point that I felt yes.  I felt a twinge in my stomach when they were at Bubby's parents house for dinner. The way that all went down didn't feel upfront.

The mom wasn't the one who said/implied that barbecue sauce was homemade, it was Bubby & the dad - "straight homegrown, down old country cookin'" (Bubby to camera) "your mother in law made it" (to Taiya). So showing the empty bottles of sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's based on the bottle shape) behind them on the counter was kind of a dig at her expense but ultimately caused by  the two men. They thought they were being complimentary but within the context of the show that scene was used in a sleazy way. The mom also said because Taiya is so picky she can (paraphrase) only serve certain things. So who even knows! Maybe when she's not cooking for all these picky eaters she'd like to eat a damn kale salad. I don't know. I just feel bad for the mom, I feel like she got dragged into this mess. I'm also fairly certain she fed the camera crew because that was a lot of chicken, 2 bottles of sauce and she used a disposable pan. Maybe she normally does make her own sauce but because she had company she took some short cuts. Point is I don't know. But it felt, unkind.

Sorry i'm getting so detailed but it's the process of unpacking my feelings.

If this episode was shorter (old format) we would never have had this scene. 

The show has always been based on judging others - whether its the bride directly or their big day vision.  Literally that's the point of the show. But by adding all this extra backstory with the grooms and the family situations there's this whole other part now -  we're not only judging the wedding but kind of judging the people, the family. We don't get enough information to have the whole story, but we get too much to not consider it.

Add to this,  the 4 friends set up. Before - they were all meeting new people - going to events where they didn't know anyone but the other brides.  Basically new experiences, seeing lives outside of yourself. So we the viewers were and they were. That's why it worked. With the 4 friends it doesn't have that same balance somehow, because they already know each other and we don't get the other brides' 'objective' opinions like we did with the old format. 

This is the caterer that is associated with the Prickel ? Barn.  I was wondering how these people had so many guests with small budgets - check out these prices.  The barn itself is kind of pretty.  You could actually do a low-key, rustic style wedding there without fools in bib overalls but it is what it is.

http://mchalescatering.com/menus/four-star-buffet-event

Noticed on that menu "Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast Topped with a Tomato Alfredo Sauce". lol.

BTW, Fun fact.  In the US, Feta can be goat, sheep or cow milk (In Europe only sheep or goat - or a blend - is allowed cow milk is not allowed to be called feta in the EU). The ingredient label here will indicate which milk it is. Both President and Athenos have products that are labelled just "milk" and thus are cow milk  (I can't say if all of theirs are). Trader Joe's has a few kinds of feta. Some sheep, some goat, some cow - you have to read the label. If the label doesn't say goat or sheep you can assume it's cow.  Point being!!! If this caterer used a conventional brand of feta cheese, it might not even have been goat cheese.

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 5

One of the many mysteries of the new format for me is why they switched all of the (expanded) list of categories to number grades and the experience score to a ranking. I know the rankings clearly weren't immune to underscoring, but it saved us from the bizarre situation of Taia giving a 1 for fancy food. In my mind, that should be reserved for "The whole wedding got salmonella because the bride insisted on serving chicken tartare". I also don't quite get why "uniqueness" is a category. Is it even possible to have a unique wedding in th pintrest age? 

I think my other pet peeve is the 2 hour format. I don't need to see the behind the scenes action. There are lots of other options if you want to see the wedding planning process and none of the families are particularly engaging since they touch on, but don't explore the things that would make the brides more interesting (Where was Taia's family? Why did bride with kid hate kids? Where did the two young for the length of the relationship step-siblings come from?). 

To make this new system work, TLC is going to need to keep finding 4 connected people who are getting married at close to the same time AND have interesting backstories AND are willing to be blunt about their friends' weddings AND have camera-ready extended families AND have diverse enough tastes and financial situations that we don't get four more or less identical barn weddings. Or, we could get four strangers from the same city attend each others wedding and judge the heck out of them over a 45 minute show. Hint Hint TLC. 

• Love 10

I too prefer the 1-hour format.

Having said that, this was my favorite episode ever.

All the other brides try to force a "theme" and it's pretty artificial/phony. Here, the "theme" is all too real, and spontaneous. In all four weddings dinners, the showstopper was the mashed potato tray. It put a smile on my face, and I would have loved to join them.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Quof said:

9 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

How much does it say about me that I can remember their names?  Taiya, Chelsea, Rachel and Josie.  (I swear I don't have a DVR/Tivo/VCR....nuthin')

On wedding boards that is a hot topic:  Wear red!  Wear purple!!  Don't wear black!  Don't wear jeans!  How about letting me dress myself, jackass?  After all, IT IS THEIR DAY - GET IN LINE!   As someone who, as we all know too well, just got done planning and executing a wedding, one reason I can tell you I am still standing is I engaged in NONE of that stuff.  No one cares if your tables are round, oval or square.  We don't care about the ribbon color on the chair sash, favors, matchy matchy bridesmaids, bridesmaid proposals - huh??  I preferred people NOT wear jeans but hey if they did......who the hell really cares?  I want them to attend.  None of my family wore their new BIBS for goodness sake!

Well, yes and no. It would be extremely tacky and inappropriate to demand your guests wear (or not wear) certain types of clothing/colors.

However, wedding invitations typically include information regarding the formality of the wedding, and standard wedding etiquette defines the appropriate clothing according to the level of formality of the wedding (quoted from Deciphering the Varying Types of Wedding Formalities and Dress Codes) :

"If the Invitation Says 'Casual': 

This is rare, but some couples are not invested in the fanciness of a vow exchange and would prefer for everyone to remain comfortable. Typically, this means the emphasis will be on the couple and the celebration, rather than the formality of tying the knot.

Men’s Attire: A button-down shirt and dress pants.

Women’s Attire: Light-colored dress pants or longer skirt with a 'business casual' blouse, or a summer dress; casual/every day hair and makeup.

If the invitation says 'Semi-Formal' or 'Cocktail Attire': 

You’ll need to note the time of the event: darker colors for the evening and lighter colors if the ceremony starts before 5PM. Expect the couple to subscribe to most wedding traditions, but in most cases, prepare yourself for a playful reception full of a significant amount of lively dancing.

Men’s Attire: A suit and tie, with a pair of comfortable dress shoes.

Women’s Attire: A cocktail dress or a formal blouse and skirt, and perhaps keep it shorter to match the semi-formal motif; hair and makeup can be casual – we recommend bringing a hair tie or a clip to be used toward the end of the evening.

If the Invitation Says 'Beach Formal': 

Presumably, this wedding will be on a beach and mostly, if not entirely, outdoors. While a beach day may feel casual, remember that the word “formal” has still be employed, so expect the same level of formality as a “Black Tie Optional” fête. Keep the environment in mind when you’re picking out clothing: think “upscale restaurant in Hawaii.”

Men’s Attire: A light-colored suit with a linen shirt, linen pants or khakis, and comfortable beach shoes – no ties required. 

Women’s Attire: A formal summer dress that can range between knee-length, tea-length, and full-length with beach sandals; hair and makeup can be natural – we recommend beach waves!

If the Invitation Says 'Formal' or 'Black Tie Optional': 

Typically, this refers to an evening affair wherein tuxedos are not required for gentlemen, but would be appropriate to don for this event. There has been a rise in this particular type of wedding in recent years: for many couples, it embodies just the right amount of decorum without being too over-the-top. 

Men’s Attire: A formal dark-colored suit or a tuxedo.

Women’s Attire: A dressy suit, long gown, or a dark-colored formal cocktail dress with high heels or dressy ballet flats; you can play with more formal updos and more dramatic makeup looks for this type of soirée.

If the Invitation Says 'Black Tie': 

This particular brand of nuptials will be very formal – more often than not, it will start after 6PM and there is a sit-down dinner involved. This does not mean an absence of the usual merriment: dancing and other fun wedding activities will likely be included as well. 

Men’s Attire: A dark-colored tuxedo, bow tie, cummerbund, and dark dress shoes.

Women’s Attire: A long evening gown in dark or neutral colors and high heels; hair and makeup should be formal.

If the Invitation Says 'White Tie': 

This is the most formal of weddings, reminiscent of Victorian-era nuptials that were often considered to be the epitome of propriety. Think 'state dinner at the White House' or award show attire – you’ll likely receive white glove service and you might need a refresher on proper dinner etiquette.  

Men’s Attire: A dark tuxedo, a suit jacket with tails, a pique vest, and a bow tie with black dress shoes – white gloves are optional.

Women’s Attire: A full-length gown in dark colors and high heels; dark, dramatic hair and makeup – think 'old Hollywood glamour.'"

Note: According to the above, neither jeans nor overalls are appropriate, even at "casual dress" weddings.

Of course, looking at some of the other etiquette breaches at these weddings (such as the horrible table manners of all the brides and their spouses/fiancés and other guests), it's doubtful any of the brides thought to include the level of the formality of their weddings on their invitations, and even if they did, whether any of the guests would understand (or think to research) what that meant in terms of appropriate dress.

Tractor pulling is not an inexpensive sport. If one can afford to buy and maintain a tractor to compete in tractor pulls, one can afford a decent pair of dress pants and shirt. Honestly, I don't see the men's mindset as being substantially different from those of "bridezillas" - essentially, "I'm gonna do what I want to do, and to hell with everyone else."

• Love 4

I really think Taiya, or whatever the hell the spelling is, got married on this show so she could ensure Chelsea would win. I mean, no wedding planning until the last minute? borrowed dress? crazy low scores? I really doubt she would have wanted some "fancy" honeymoon in Mexico.  And I would really be surprised if they're all still friends at this point.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, lilly6 said:

The last wedding I went to, which was a classy one, had a candy bar that was open the whole time and the thing was annihilated before we ever got near it.

It’s like the open bar - if it’s free, people can’t control themselves.

• Love 3

This episode reminded me of that old reality show My Big Fat Redneck Wedding. I can’t believe the bride won who had no alcohol and the dirt floor in the barn. And the one (can’t remember names) had normal wedding food, potato’s, Mac and cheese, etc...and they thought it was too ‘fancy’!? 

No offense to anyone but I’ve heard in the southern states people will wear jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts and shorts to weddings as well as funerals. 

17 hours ago, Quof said:

Can't it just be because they love Halloween and want everyone in costume or because they want a black & white wedding?  

I haven't seen this one yet but given the comments anticipate it will be 'interesting'.

Personally I don't like being told what to wear, specifically. I hate costumes so wouldn't even go to a costume wedding. I'd use common sense to dress but feel it's okay to mention if it's black tie or just to dress modestly (which so many don't have any common sense about anymore).

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, berwoman said:

Can't it just be because they love Halloween and want everyone in costume or because they want a black & white wedding?  

It can be anything they want. It's still rude, and condescending, to tell adults how to dress unless it is required by the location/venue, ie. you will not be allowed into the church or country club unless you dress a certain way.

It's difficult for me to even imagine a man wearing overalls anywhere except at his farm or his local tractor supply store, much less at a wedding.

I don't consider myself to be a formal, stuffy person, but that boggles my mind.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I really think Taiya, or whatever the hell the spelling is, got married on this show so she could ensure Chelsea would win. I mean, no wedding planning until the last minute? borrowed dress? crazy low scores? I really doubt she would have wanted some "fancy" honeymoon in Mexico.  And I would really be surprised if they're all still friends at this point.

That's an expensive choice, though. 6K is still 6K even if it's cheap for a wedding. 

Perhaps she spent the 6K on the wedding, intending on doing her tank top and jeans thang, then the others wanted to be on the show, so, boom, she had to borrow a dress and make it look "fancy" for the show.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ichbin said:

Ugh.  That was "...and a Talking Orchid".  Those bitches even took out their own Facebook page for their episode and threw in a few punches to Jessica, the sweet blonde bride who I still can't figure out why everyone hated her other than jealousy.  The other 3 brides were awful.

Did some Facebook sleuthing on this one this past week too, and am still lost on the timeline of Chelsey and her baby/new husband/his kid.  What I did find humorous was her ex, her baby daddy, has been in no less than 3 relationships/engagements since Chelsey.  And I did think about the orthodontia situation if Rachel and her husband have kids.  And I couldn't place his accent either, I actually think it was a speech impediment. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That's an expensive choice, though. 6K is still 6K even if it's cheap for a wedding. 

Right, but we've seen others in the new format who seemed to speed up their wedding to make it on the show. So if they were planning on getting married eventually anyway, I can see a friend getting talked into it.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Ugh.  That was "...and a Talking Orchid".  Those bitches even took out their own Facebook page for their episode and threw in a few punches to Jessica, the sweet blonde bride who I still can't figure out why everyone hated her other than jealousy.  The other 3 brides were awful.

Did some Facebook sleuthing on this one this past week too, and am still lost on the timeline of Chelsey and her baby/new husband/his kid.  What I did find humorous was her ex, her baby daddy, has been in no less than 3 relationships/engagements since Chelsey.  And I did think about the orthodontia situation if Rachel and her husband have kids.  And I couldn't place his accent either, I actually think it was a speech impediment. 

I remember ....and a Talking Orchid" - Ruby was beastly and (well they all were, really except Jessica) and she was the one who said "As long as Jessica didn't win" - I think the other three felt low brow or low class compared to Jessica's yacht.  Amazed that the bride in bare feet won.  Bare. Feet.   Jessica said she was OCD and liked things just so, compared to the others who were maybe more low key?  I dunno - but they did NOT like Jessica.  Oh well - their loss!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3

Personally, I think people should have the wedding they want, even if it means divided styrofoam plates and a dirt floor, especially if they're on a budget and can better use that money for something else.  That said, I come from a place where the wedding receptions were often held at the fire hall and my grandmother, aunts, and cousins got together the day before and made all the reception food.  One of my cousins even had a potluck wedding!

I do think people should try to dress for the occasion, though, but I understand that in some circumstances, people just don't have dress clothes or the discretionary income to buy them.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Bubby, though.  

• Love 5
On 2018-08-14 at 1:00 PM, answerphone said:

It's difficult for me to even imagine a man wearing overalls anywhere except at his farm or his local tractor supply store, much less at a wedding.

I don't consider myself to be a formal, stuffy person, but that boggles my mind.

Surely there are dress pants, dress shirts & ties at WalMart.  Jackass could probably get a decent outfit for $50.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Surely there are dress pants, dress shirts & ties at WalMart.  Jackass could probably get a decent outfit for $50.

There are, but for some people, that $50 is too much to spend (not Bubby).  I wouldn't want anyone to feel like they HAD to spend money they didn't have on clothes they'd never wear again to come to my wedding.

• Love 2