Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

I believed the daughter's allegations of her nasty mother's emotional abuse.

Maybe, but daughter went and lived with mean, cruel mommy for eight months, where said cruelty must be preferred over getting a job. Call me hateful, but I have a serious problem with mature people who say, "He/she was MEAN to me." That's something babies say.  That was the only interesting thing I saw in this ho-hum, toothless trailer trash, SSI case.  

A Byrd by another name - Plaintiff Byrd had no common sense, and he wouldn't STFU.

Not related, I sincerely hope. A grown man doesn't have the sense/can't be bothered to change his locks or get insurance on his valuable property because "I felt safe." So every bad thing that happens must be someone else's responsibility, right? Yeah, I feel very safe in my home, but I still have insurance. I bet the Real Byrd was wishing he'd shut his whiny trap and piss off.

• Love 7

Seriously, though -- what is a yearbook partner?

I can only speak for the jr high that I work at. Our yearbook class is responsible to take pics at events throughout the year - guest speakers, sports, dress up days, etc. The students are paired up and assigned an event to photograph. The class is also responsible to edit the yearbook before printing. Of course their teacher and the principal gives the final okay. Those kids always try to sneak something in.
  • Love 1

What was the verdict in the evil mom/whiny not-working daughter and boyfriend case?  My stupid network interrupted JJ for the damn Harrison Ford plane crash, where the firemen spent 20 minutes talking about how they didn't know how the plane crashed while the reporters kept asking how the plane crashed. I can't imagine JJ gave the mother anything but she didn't seem all that sympathetic toward the daughter either. I know I didn't have all that much sympathy for the daughter--I know how hard it is to find a decent place to live, but eight months is a bit long to stay at someone's house if you're going to bitch about how mean that person is to you. 

• Love 2

What was the verdict in the evil mom/whiny not-working daughter and boyfriend case?

Since Momma had no bills for the clean up of her dump, she got zippo for that. Then both Mom and daughter wanted stuff each said the other kept or took, but it amounted to a few blankets, pillows, cutlery and some glasses. JJ asked Mom if daughter was supposed to have paid rent, but Mom said she couldn't get rent from her since she refuses to work. JJ asked mom if SHE works - "No, I'm on SSI". Case fini....well, not quite. Mom wanted to show a picture of a gun the defs. brought into her house and how she feared being shot during an argument.

They each got nothing. GOOD BYE!

They each got nothing. GOOD BYE!

Yeah, that would have been a helluva lot more entertaining than the press conference was.  Thanks for letting me know--the wife and I were dying to find out and were yelling at the firemen to hurry up since they weren't saying anything anyway. We only got the end of the idiotic tenant case with Plaintiff Byrd who can't be bothered to buy insurance because he feels safe.  It's a shame there are so many stupid people out there but I guess that's why JJ is so damn rich.

• Love 2

We only got the end of the idiotic tenant case with Plaintiff Byrd who can't be bothered to buy insurance because he feels safe.  It's a shame there are so many stupid people out there but I guess that's why JJ is so damn rich.

JJ's paperwork noted that he was an even bigger idiot --- he had met with an insurance salesperson to get quotes for renters' insurance, and he still didn't buy any!  And Renters' insurance is generally very inexpensive.  Duh.

I guess I felt badly for the daughter in the dirty house case because the mother-daughter dynamic is so messy.  Even though her mother treated her like crap (and she shouldn't have lived with her for 8 months), she probably still yearned for her mother's love and acceptance and illogically thought she could win her over someday.  That girl needs to realize that her mother is nuts and won't change.

Maybe, but daughter went and lived with mean, cruel mommy for eight months, where said cruelty must be preferred over getting a job. Call me hateful, but I have a serious problem with mature people who say, "He/she was MEAN to me." That's something babies say.  That was the only interesting thing I saw in this ho-hum, toothless trailer trash, SSI case.

Oh the Carny people - it's okay to not call her Mother but Carny Daughter sure had no problem living in her house and messing it up. I get that people have problems with their parents and some parents aren't even worth the protoplasm used to hold them together but it's almost a vindictive act to "get back" at the mother by treating her property like crap. Carny Daughter and her American Horror Story looking boyfriend had house problems before they moved into Mama's crash pad. 

Tavionne, a couple of weeks shy of a full Kid n Play/Christopher Reid hairstyle, was surely punished by his mother for not sticking to the story they had rehearsed.

I remember this case from the first time - was it the light or was only half his head dyed reddish? I was waiting for The Fresh Prince and Carlton to come out and spit on the cell phone too. 

• Love 3

Oh the Carny people - it's okay to not call her Mother but Carny Daughter sure had no problem living in her house and messing it up.

For sure. If my mother was that diabolical, I'm damned sure I'd find a way to live elsewhere, even if it meant getting the dreaded J-O-B.

• Love 4

I expect Plaintiff Byrd wasn't able to afford insurance.  That was expensive equipment; even if it were in his own house, his home insurer would have required a separate, expensive rider to cover it.

• Love 2

The rerun with the dad with the two daughters who had the dog who lost control was funny. JJ, for all her big talk, will rationalize her hasty conclusions. "NOT EVERYONE IS AS SMART AS ME" Bitch, you're eighty years old and saying something like that? Seriously? You weren't there! I don't care how many damn kids and grandkids you have, or how smart you think you are, sometimes you are wrong! Damn. If the man said they got the case thrown out, maaaaybe it happened the way the girl said it did. You not being concerned with the specific details of the case doesn't change what the fuck happened.

And I know the man was mouthing back and being stubborn (for good reason but it's still a court), but don't start calling him stupid. One: it's petty and childish to start name-calling another adult, especially from your bench, because you're not fucking tough. You've got Byrd's old ass and security right off screen. Two: the man's kids are sitting right there. Just rule in favor of the plaintiffs and kept it moving.

The other case with the guy and girl "playing house"...I get where she's coming from. I hate when people "play house", too, but people live together all the time. I know they didn't in the early 1900s when your ass was dating, but it's commonplace, and even more commonplace on your show. I'd just have a blanket expectation that they have something corroborating the debt and if they don't, oh well. But to not even pay attention to these things because that's not the way you do things is bullshit. 

• Love 3

I remember this case from the first time - was it the light or was only half his head dyed reddish? I was waiting for The Fresh Prince and Carlton to come out and spit on the cell phone too. 

lol!  Yes, only half of his head was dyed red.  

. I know they didn't in the early 1900s when your ass was dating, but it's commonplace, and even more commonplace on your show. I'd just have a blanket expectation that they have something corroborating the debt and if they don't, oh well. But to not even pay attention to these things because that's not the way you do things is bullshit.

It's not just the way she does things. It's the law. Big babies who want to "play house" and who settle disagreements by throwing things and getting into fistfights, then want equitable settlements are wasting their time. Anyone who wants claim to joint property and fair sharing of debts needs to either get married or write a contract. Saying, "I want back all the money we co-mingled because he cheated on me" are barking up the wrong tree.

The Bixbys from Minnysota...holy shit. The hair, the clothes, the substance abuse, the grandma who can't get out of her chair to supervise the three grandkids she's being paid to care for, the plaintiff and her hubby - affectionately known as Grandpa - what a freaking mess.

The boat dispute? Wow, defendant hasn't quite got a handle on whiting out stuff and thinks JJ is so stupid she won't notice? Just another example of the fact that age does NOT necessarily bring wisdom.

• Love 2

Two: the man's kids are sitting right there. 

I, too, thought it was tough to watch the man get berated in front of his daughter.  His attitude was atrocious, but the little girl didn't need that newsflash from JJ.  She went for the guy's throat...her tone didn't hide her disgust, and she didn't do the old trick of using high-tiered vocabulary words that may have left the children somewhat in the dark.  The little girl's expression didn't show anything, so I kept wondering if someone backstage (or JJ herself) speaks to children beforehand about things like: she sometimes gets angry and loud, but try not to be nervous; say "yes, Ma'am/Your Honor; be very quiet while the adults are speaking, etc.  

(edited)

I expect Plaintiff Byrd wasn't able to afford insurance.  That was expensive equipment; even if it were in his own house, his home insurer would have required a separate, expensive rider to cover it.

That's what I came to say.  The agent probably said business equipment couldn't be covered under a renter's policy and tried to sell him a business policy.  Was he even making any money with it?  Similarly car insurance policies only want to cover you for "pleasure" use and travel to work.  I've handled cases where people lie about using their van in their day care business and that definitely needs a higher level of liability coverage.

The daughter in the landlord tennant case needed a better bra.

Oh goodness yes but I felt a little sorry for her.  Didn't she have a bow or a flower in her hair?  I don't think she was all there.

Edited by QuelleC

I bet the insurance wouldn't be as expensive as replacing everything will be.

It's not just the way she does things. It's the law. Big babies who want to "play house" and who settle disagreements by throwing things and getting into fistfights, then want equitable settlements are wasting their time. Anyone who wants claim to joint property and fair sharing of debts needs to either get married or write a contract. Saying, "I want back all the money we co-mingled because he cheated on me" are barking up the wrong tree.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I'm not saying it's a good idea to play house and then when you break up, you expect the court to determine who bought what when. I don't expect most judges to try to "fix" situations like that. However, if it's an up-or-down matter like, "we bought this furniture together, we're still making payments on it, we broke up, now I'm stuck with the payments"....the other person should kick in their part. Or if they bought a car together and payments are still due on it. These are easy issues to figure out. Other thing is, if these cases chap your ass, don't have them on your show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I expect Plaintiff Byrd wasn't able to afford insurance. That was expensive equipment; even if it were in his own house, his home insurer would have required a separate, expensive rider to cover it.

If he already had an existing homeowners or renters policy, his personal property off premises would probably have been covered. That's why when you have items stolen from your car you claim them under homeowners and not under your auto

policy, which only covers permanently installed equipment. So not only didn't he insure his storage shed; it sounds like he didn't insure his residence either.

The policies you can buy from the storage facilities are very reasonable. The last time I had stuff in storage it was $35 a month with a $100 deductible for a $10,000 limit. I took the policy even though my homeowners would cover it because I would rather have a claim on that type of one-off policy than have one on my main homeowners policy. I think the policy also covered flood, which my homeowners does not. And the $100 deductible was $400 less than my homeowners deductible.

ETA if it was business equipment, he would have had to cover that differently. My post is referring to storage spaces in general and people who won't spend a few bucks to cover their stuff.

Edited by teebax

But this was business equipment or "tools of his trade".  This wasn't a storage facility, he was intending to use it for business purposes.  So he required an endorsement or rider in order for his homeowner's policy to cover it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

But this was business equipment or "tools of his trade". This wasn't a storage facility, he was intending to use it for business purposes. So he required an endorsement or rider in order for his homeowner's policy to cover it.

Yeah I realized that after I posted. That's what I get for trying to join the conversation when I didn't watch the episode! Edited by teebax

Very funny. Thanks for a good laugh.

Made me think I would like to snatch that wig off your head and throw it out the window.

I know what you mean. I know a lady getting her boobs pumped and belly sucked and her mouth was a horror show orthodontically. People are bugged by certain things and you can't tell them their priorities, 

• Love 1

The boat dispute? Wow, defendant hasn't quite got a handle on whiting out stuff and thinks JJ is so stupid she won't notice? Just another example of the fact that age does NOT necessarily bring wisdom.

I loved the defendant's halterview where she directed this comment to her ex-boyfriend/plaintiff's witness. "Stay away from players".

• Love 1

What to say? Honestly...if my boyfriend needed to take money from my MOTHER to get his pecker sorted out and my MOTHER has to go to court to sue him for said pecker fund while I sit there passively, I might think the drama queen ex-fiance is  not exactly stellar marriage material and that I may be too stupid/immature to think about marriage to anyone, no matter that I'm a sainted single mother. JFC...

JJ, I agree with you in that Sally was a huge irritant, what with all her dramatic face-making, head-shaking and shrill voice. I wish we could have heard from the boyfriend. He must have hidden attributes.

• Love 2
(edited)

The vasectomy litigant was 38?  Before he disclosed his age, I thought that he must have been close in age to his ex's mother.  I wasn't sure who had the case of baby rabies - the ex-girlfriend or the ex-gf's mother.  I'm sorry, but a future MIL financing her future SIL's vasectomy reversal just doesn't seem quite right.  Um, a baby's not cheap, either, so I guess the MIL would have been financing that too.  If the couple thought to save up money themselves, they would have broken up before the unnecessary (and unwanted) surgery anyway.  None of the people involved knew how to think ahead. 

The defendant in the second case resembled Shari Lewis.  Lambchop would have made that case much more fun.  JJ kept asking the plaintiff for specifics about the "stolen" jewelry, and the woman kept anxiously yammering about other things.  Wait a minute -- in the hallterview, did Shari Lewis admit to taking the plaintiff's things and "donating" them? 

Oh Lord.  The Oliveras-Inappropriately Laughing Mother case is back to break our hearts.  This time around, I did hear that the mother had brain surgery.  So, the mother may have a TBI that may cause her inappropriate behavior and affect.  If that's the case- what a shame that her dipshit boyfriend (with low vocabulary) either doesn't see a problem with her behavior and/or doesn't have the sense or guts to intervene.  However, she may have always been a conniving jerk (as the son-in-law said that she never took care of his wife), and TBI may have nothing to do with it. 

The last case was about the massive jerk, 32, who didn't want to pay his babysitter/house-packer, 19, who revealed in the hallterview that he said, "We may be dating, but I will still be paying you."  He was gross, and she needs to wake up.

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 4

When you weigh between 3 people who really wanted the vasectomy reversal the fellow himself comes off as being the least driven and the lesser benefactor of the the operation. He had decided at 21 that he had enough children. His fiance and future MIL really, really wanted a baby.

I would have called it the couples debt and made the man pay half and told the mom to get the rest from her daughter.  

He ended up paying for it all and undergoing the surgery. If he wants it re-done he has to pay for that again.

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but a future MIL financing her future SIL's vasectomy reversal just doesn't seem quite right.

No kidding. If my mother had shown any interest, in any capacity whatsoever in my boyfriend's balls, I'd have been creeped the fuck out, but of course I"d never have asked her to pay for them or offer an opinion on them. I might be stupid enough to think that a 38 year old man can do such things without my mom's help.

Something was very "off" about vasectomy boy anyway.

• Love 4

Knotted Up 'Nads boy was certainly "off". Maybe he connected with Sally in the green room after the taping. They both had some odd gesticulations and tics going on.

• Love 4

Knotted Up 'Nads boy was certainly "off". Maybe he connected with Sally in the green room after the taping. They both had some odd gesticulations and tics going on.

I thought he was just really nervous. I'll hand it to JJ, for all my complaining about animal cases, this case was something I've never heard on any court show. Too bad I wish I could un-hear it.

The hallterview for the case was strange, with the plaintiff's daughter insisting she never started dating someone else. This whole thing was just strange to me. I can't imagine planning to have a child with someone who can't even afford a few grand for a surgery. Who did they think was going to pay all the expenses that come with child-rearing?

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5

Vasectomy case -- I think that's a new one. But that's a good thing!

The 'Dramatics' Jewelry case -- I don't know if the defendant took the jewelry, but it was funny how she was standing there smugly, knowing that Plaintiff was going to talk herself into a hole.

• Love 4

Vasectomy dude looked like he had a hard 38 years. I'm 40 and he looks far older than I do.

I was surprised the daughter didn't have to pay half. I wonder if he'd redone the vasectomy if he would have won the case.

• Love 2

Re the reverse vasectomy: at one point, JJ asked mother-plaintiff if her daughter had any children. Mother replied that daughter had had one child, now deceased.

I think that sad fact was probably the reason for mother's anxiousness to get future son-in-law's vasectomy reversed.

I thought I noticed JJ quickly glance over to the daughter when mother said "deceased." And, I also thought the judge's face softened a little. If I'm right, and JJ felt a compassion for daughter, I'm guessing that's the reason she didn't order the younger woman to be responsible for half of the surgery fee.

I've noticed JJ often decides based on whether she likes the litigant. She's not consistent In how she rules in similar cases.

• Love 7

I don't think that he should have had to pay back all of the reversal fee. At most, it should have been split 50-50 or even 33-33-33. I'm pretty sure momma and daughter wanted that vasectomy reversed more than the defendant did.

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure momma and daughter wanted that vasectomy reversed more than the defendant did.

I agree, especially since he said he'd had the vasectomy 17 years ago at the age of 21. Clearly he was happy with the two children he already had and was just trying to please the wife-to-be and/or her mother.

• Love 4

I agree, especially since he said he'd had the vasectomy 17 years ago at the age of 21. Clearly he was happy with the two children he already had and was just trying to please the wife-to-be and/or her mother.

I think he could have made that argument had he not agreed in writing to owing the full amount. His claim that he put that in writing because he didn't want to be a bad guy is dubious to me. He's essentially admitting he said he'd pay it when he had no intention of doing so, which isn't really being a good guy IMO. The texts sunk him. 

When they were texting him about the money, his response should have been that he thinks it should be split evenly or that he doesn't owe it all because he didn't want the reversal. Agreeing that he owed the money when he didn't think he did was stupid of him.

• Love 1

Today's rerun was one I've seen before.  Paternal Grandma (Katie Goodnight) has her son and grandson living with her and decided that her grandson's maternal grandma doesn't need to be in his life anymore.  They eventually came to blows when maternal grandma decided to visit her grandson.  Judge Judy was so incensed at the defendant and her son she advised the maternal grandmother to apply for custody and also mentioned that she was going to talk to CSD about that family. 

Anyone ever find out how that all turned out?

• Love 2

I hope she wins or someone offered to represent her pro bono. I'm pretty sure daddy and his mom are the ones after the death benefit check not maternal grandma. Considering neither of them graduated high school.

• Love 3

I was wondering the same thing. I think Texas has pretty liberal laws about "home-schooling", though. Most states do, and let's face it..Texas is not a big education state.

I felt bad about the vasectomy reversal guy. I have heard the surgery is very painful, with no guarantees. Now the poor guy is back to wearing condoms unless he wants to get another vasectomy. Poor dude.

• Love 2

Nooo, did you watch the show with the 3rd grader that had not been in school for 9 months. WTF?! When is this ok? The dad and his mom were buts. I kept looking at the dad thinking, he's attractive enough, and then JJ started making him talk through the interpreter and asked about education. I admit I got the screw face. Attraction gone.

Now wait, 3 replies pop up before I type my one. Same show. :-)

Now the poor guy is back to wearing condoms unless he wants to get another vasectomy. Poor dude.

He's a 38 year old man who volunteered to do it, well, as long as someone else paid for it. As JJ said, no one tied him down for it.

Loved today's repeat of client suing lawyer. These cases are great. We get to hear English spoken beyond a toddler level AND see an incompetant, yet pompous, boob lawyer ("I don't have any logs or bills, or really any evidence at all.") get reamed out. Win/win!

That made up for the repeat of Muttering Mushmouthed Jailbird Jim, a middleaged loser who can't keep his ass out of the slammer and lives with his mommy, suing his brainless ex-squeeze (who apparently doesn't see the point in using combs) who sold his crap, and spent the fortune it brought, while he was in the cooler. She lives with HER mommy too, but in comparison to Jim she seemed like MENSA material.

• Love 3

I felt so frustrated with an episode of JJ that I saw today that was titled "Car Crash into a Cemetary" in which a teen pulled his car to the center of an intersection on a green light waiting to turn left. He collided with another teen whose car ended in a cemetary after being diverted a little to the right. The first car was spun around, ending a few feet from the collision. JJ got two important things wrong. She said the turning car must have been speeding because of the distance the second car travelled after impact. Anyone who took 9th grade physical science would know that the momentum of a fast moving car would have diverted the second car more than it did. She obviously didn't take physics in hugh school. Quite the opposite to hersupposition, the other car was going much faster than the turning car.

The second thing she got wrong us even more disturbing because it has to do with law. She stated, smirkingly, that everyone knows you don't pull into the center of an intersection, waiting to turn left. I did an internet search "should you enter an intersection while waiting to turn left on a green" and the first results referred to NY and Michigan law. Michigan law doesn't prohibit while the New York DMV website says yes in an an answer to a test quiz.

• Love 1

We have had this left turn discussion at least three times on this forum.  Those of us with legal knowledge - lawyers, police - have all chimed in to say Don't Pull Into the Intersection.   

• Love 3

In Missouri it was illegal when I took my driving test, when that case first aired I remever some people saying where they live they even mark the road for where you should pull up to while waiting.

I did an internet search "should you enter an intersection while waiting to turn left on a green" and the first results referred to NY and Michigan law.

It may not be illegal, but I would never do it and I've been driving for many years. The risk of being stuck right in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red is too high, and you have to then either sit there blocking traffic or make a mad dash through a red light. I don't care for either option, and that move is one made by very inexperienced drivers, IMO.

• Love 3

Just on the physics of the collision, JJ was completely wrong at a very fundamental level. Conservation of momentum tells us which vehicle had the greater momentum (proportional to speed for equal mass cars) - the one that ended up going the farthest (in its original direction) from the point of impact. The straight through car ended up traveling a great distance in the direction it was originally going while the turning car was pushed back. Sorry JJ, as you have said to multiple litigants "where did you get your training to make you an expert in accident reconstruction?"

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1