Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, GussieK said:

And don't forget, he picked the puppy up at a Walgreen's!  A fact he repeated more than once.  Sure, I'd do all my puppy meet and greets in the middle of a busy drugstore, between the cold remedies and the adult diapers   And there was a fire sale on the puppy.  $100 off if you buy in the next 10 minutes.  What the heck?

Or, how about I don't think they even went into the store -- I think they did the swap in the parking lot which is the perfect place you want to put a puppy on the ground to run around. Not like there's cars around or anything.

And yes! The $100 off "buy now" is a huge red flag. But, you know, that guy was a savvy puppy buyer seeing as how he was successful in all his other sales. [/eyeroll]

20 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I am very close to not being able to watch JJ anymore because of her behavior. She knows everything, and I mean everything!  She knows the cost to repair automobiles, she is an expert on animal behavior, and because her own small dogs don't hop fences, no dog ever hopped a fence. (I have seen dogs climbing chain link fences.). She talks over people, and she seems to have already decided the cases based on the summaries she reads before hearing any testimony.  I dread cases involving written contracts because I know she'll draw a contract in the air and say everything in the contract is contained within that paper--she does that ad nauseum.

Two things that are getting tiresome:

1.  The "you ate the steak" homily.  I mean, I get it and I agree with it but we need a new example.

2.  Asking the plaintiff or defendant to describe what happened often goes like this -

JJ Tell me exactly what happened when you arrived at the house...

Plaintiff:  I got out of my car and walked up to the...

JJ (slams hand on desk)  Just TELL ME WHAT YOU DID!  You got out of the car and...

Plaintiff, (looks around nervously)  I walked up to the house and knocked... 

JJ  WHAT PART OF 'JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU DID' DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?  You walked up to the house and...

Plaintiff, (clearly rattled):  I knocked on the door and the defendant...

JJ: full-on seizure. 

Granted, some people do go into long-winded explanations, but I've seen her do it when the plaintiff was simply describing what happened.  I have no idea what she wants to hear and can't imagine what the plaintiff/defendant must be feeling.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Albino said:

Two things that are getting tiresome:

1.  The "you ate the steak" homily.  I mean, I get it and I agree with it but we need a new example.

2.  Asking the plaintiff or defendant to describe what happened often goes like this -

JJ Tell me exactly what happened when you arrived at the house...

Plaintiff:  I got out of my car and walked up to the...

JJ (slams hand on desk)  Just TELL ME WHAT YOU DID!  You got out of the car and...

Plaintiff, (looks around nervously)  I walked up to the house and knocked... 

JJ  WHAT PART OF 'JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU DID' DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?  You walked up to the house and...

Plaintiff, (clearly rattled):  I knocked on the door and the defendant...

JJ: full-on seizure. 

Granted, some people do go into long-winded explanations, but I've seen her do it when the plaintiff was simply describing what happened.  I have no idea what she wants to hear and can't imagine what the plaintiff/defendant must be feeling.

Yes, it's been getting really bad and I have been coming here before I watch and will decide whether or not to watch an episode based on the comments.    

Another thing I can't stand is when she gets all hissy about hearsay when it is part of the explanation.

JJ: Why did you change the locks? (or whatever the plaintiff did)

Plaintiff: Well, the police told me

JJ: You can't tell me what the police said that is hearsay.  Now tell me why did you change the locks.

Plaintiff: (confused plaintiff) I was advised by the police .

JJ: The police are not here.  You cannot tell me what they said. Why did you change the locks.

sometimes this goes on for a while as the plaintiff struggles with how to phrase things without bringing in hearsay.  And it might end with:

Plaintiff: Well, I thought it would be ok

JJ (totally enraged now): Why would you think it would be ok to ...

And then later on -->JJ:  and for no reason you changed the locks.

It's maddening.  Just let the plaintiff keep talking like all the other TV judges do.  Then you can explain that it is hearsay or that the police don't have the authority to tell you that.  But don't keep harassing the person when they are trying to answer your questions.

She is also not consistent. Occasionally she will listen to hearsay, esp. if it is the police, but most times she will not. Though I cannot recall the last time that she did.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Or, how about I don't think they even went into the store -- I think they did the swap in the parking lot which is the perfect place you want to put a puppy on the ground to run around. Not like there's cars around or anything.

And yes! The $100 off "buy now" is a huge red flag. But, you know, that guy was a savvy puppy buyer seeing as how he was successful in all his other sales. [/eyeroll]

Apparently parking lots are *the* place to get puppies - there were a couple of cases around here (SF/Oakland) where someone's stolen dog was sold in a parking lot. Somehow the buyers didn't find anything suspicious about that until they saw the news - these were therapy dogs IIRC, not just random pets - though to their credit they did give the dogs back.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, GussieK said:

And don't forget, he picked the puppy up at a Walgreen's!  A fact he repeated more than once.  Sure, I'd do all my puppy meet and greets in the middle of a busy drugstore, between the cold remedies and the adult diapers   And there was a fire sale on the puppy.  $100 off if you buy in the next 10 minutes.  What the heck?  The closest I came to this was I bought a used barbecue grill on Craigslist and met the seller in the Ikea parking lot off I91 in New Haven, Connecticut.  But the barbecue grill could not get parvo. 

I got my dog in an Arbys parking lot.  Her foster mom lived 4 hours away from me so we met in the middle.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

Apparently parking lots are *the* place to get puppies - there were a couple of cases around here (SF/Oakland) where someone's stolen dog was sold in a parking lot.

We, as a nation, are doomed.

1 minute ago, Maharincess said:

I got my dog in an Arbys parking lot.  Her foster mom lived 4 hours away from me so we met in the middle.  

But that's legit - it was a foster situation, not a "short sale on Craigslist" deal. 

I can't even remember today's cases, which I think were okay, because of the teaser for tomorrow! That lady sure has a tatted up face! Can't wait to see what that case is about. And, how will a tatted up face look in ten or twenty years? I bet she scares small children. 

26 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I had to laugh at the rerun this morning when the clearly medicated male defendant was kicked out after the first three minutes, and JJ turned to the heavily tatted female defendant as the sane one.

My second post today about tats....in this case, her chest said "Rainbows without rays" and one of the many things under it was a boat anchor pointing to her cleavage. Nice.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I can't even remember today's cases, which I think were okay, because of the teaser for tomorrow! That lady sure has a tatted up face! Can't wait to see what that case is about. And, how will a tatted up face look in ten or twenty years? I bet she scares small children. 

My second post today about tats....in this case, her chest said "Rainbows without rays" and one of the many things under it was a boat anchor pointing to her cleavage. Nice.

Re: teaser for tomorrow.  Scare small children?  She scared ME!

Re: Chest-tat.  Was that the lady with the words shaped into a heart-shape?  Egads.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

"Rainbows without rays"

Do I have to take large quantities of illegal drugs to understand what this means? 

Best part of today's cases was the hallterview after the second case when the Defendant talked about the Plaintiff's boyfriend (husband?) getting locked up because he put a knife to her neck, and the boyfriend responds, in the most robotic tone possible, "The case is over. That is not to be discussed here." The only thing that would have perfected that statement is if he had put "..., Dave" at the end of the last sentence. 

I will be haunted by tomorrow's face-tat lady! What was that shit going on on the right side of her face? Did she have someone tattoo a beard on her cheek?! My god. I assume the person who did that to her might have been the same person who came up with "Rainbows without rays." 

Edited by Guest

Wowsa!  Just saw it. Tats and piercings. Ouch. I can't wait.

I have to say I liked the truck scam case. Defendant tries to get neighbor to invest in trucks to flip. Defendant keeps money and gives him another truck with-you got it--a title loan. JJ orders him to pay off title loan. Best part was that after excoriating defendant about his disability status, she even lets another victim of the scammer testify to a three-year-old similar scam, with no actual relevance to the case at hand. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, GussieK said:

she even lets another victim of the scammer testify to a three-year-old similar scam, with no actual relevance to the case at hand. 

I think maybe it was because the other victim brought a police report as well? I guess she wanted to put the nail in the scammer's shame coffin. I'd also like to know why that guy wasn't arrested? Isn't "theft of service" considered a crime anymore???

I don't think the parking lot idea is strange.  When you are finalizing a deal on Craigslist, it is best to do it in public.  You cannot take a puppy into your local Starbucks.  Parking lots have become the place to do these exchanges. A parking lot at Walmart is always very busy and is a good place to meet.  In my town, a section of the police station parking lot has been dedicated for people making exchanges. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ElleMo said:

I don't think the parking lot idea is strange.  When you are finalizing a deal on Craigslist, it is best to do it in public.  You cannot take a puppy into your local Starbucks.  Parking lots have become the place to do these exchanges. A parking lot at Walmart is always very busy and is a good place to meet.  In my town, a section of the police station parking lot has been dedicated for people making exchanges. 

True.  Once a family posted an ad to sell a diamond ring.  When someone called to express interest, they were invited to the family's home to look at the ring, and the prospective buyer turned out to be a robbery crew.  There are stories like that all over the place.  Don't invite strangers to your home when you're trying to sell something, meet them in a public area.  In larger cities, I've heard that ATM's are now placed in police stations.  It gives people a chance to stash their cash before going out on the streets.

The last time I sold a car, I had a group show up to look at it that I didn't feel good about at all.  They paid for the car and drove it off, and within a week they were on our local news as part of a drug bust.  I had drug dealers at my home!  The next time I sell something, I'm meeting prospective buyers in the parking lot of the police department, and I'll have all the paperwork right there to sign.  Depending on what I'm selling, the buyers might still be able to figure out where I live (especially with paperwork that you must have your address on), but one of my kids is studying Criminal Justice, and she says that if someone doesn't want to meet you at the police department, it's a bad sign.

• Love 7

Oh, Brooklynista, we've seen so much of that on JJ.  I seem to remember a case a few seasons ago where it was stipulated in a couple's  divorce/custody settlement that handing over the kids had to be done in a public parking lot.  And still they had a fight that ended up in Judy's court.

• Love 6

I will be haunted by tomorrow's face-tat lady! What was that shit going on on the right side of her face? Did she have someone tattoo a beard on her cheek?!

I was also WTH'ed over the face-tat lady. I can't wait to get home tonight to get heebie-jeebied all over again. 

BTW if you want to get super heebie-jeebied over a lady's facial tattoo, check out a old episode of "Beyond Scared Straight" where a female inmate named Diabla preached to the snot-nosed juvenile offenders about life in prison

http://www.aetv.com/shows/beyond-scared-straight/pictures/series-finale-lights-out/my-names-diabla

• Love 6

Defendant Tat Lady -- she grew on me.  The longer she was on screen, the easier it was to accept what she'd done to her face.  What an unusual person.  But I'm glad that her daughter isn't messing around with her face -- yet. 

I looked for both of them on Facebook -- no Teresa Barksdale who matched up, and no Seven -- unless it's 7 instead of Seven. ??

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I looked for both of them on Facebook -- no Teresa Barksdale who matched up, and no Seven -- unless it's 7 instead of Seven. ??

I didn't see the episode in question. 

Am I understanding this right?  Someone actually named their child Seven other than George Costanza's "future child".  If this is true Tatface doesn't sound as scary as someone who would name their child after a number. 

Now Soda...Soda's a good name.  That I can understand but Seven?  Crazy.

Face Tats lady certainly was working the dramatic look. This didn't really bother me, but she talked enough to convince me she is mind-numbingly stupid. However, both mother and daughter broke my recommended makeup guideline: your eye makeup should not weigh more that your eyeball. I suspect that is why she was constantly blinking, too much weight to hold her eyes open. Also, I have known a few merchant marine folks, I am not sure that Seven (or 7 or Sven?) is suited for that environment.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 9

I looked, too.  They were from Virginia, right?  She was a very odd woman, doing that to her face, but she had gorgeous eyes.  I wonder if those tats were forced on her somehow?  That would be a nightmare!  And her daughter, Seven, looked to be well on the way to being as weird as her mom.  And evidently from her testimony, she is kind of shunned and discriminated against. 

• Love 1

I get frustrated when someone is on SSI, but they take a big penalty for ending a lease early, and spend a LOT of money on tats, jewelry, piercings, and false eyelashes with rhinestones.  And it looks like she might have shared some of her money with her expensive hairdo and pierced daughter.  

As plaintiff said in the halterview, "She's a master of manipulation."  And I loved that she who manipulates friends and the government ended up quoting scripture.  Sheesh. 

• Love 8

Yep. Tat Lady's daughter is named Seven.  Or 7.  Or Se7en. 

She wasn't really that scary.  She was well spoken, calm, reasonable, not argumentative, respectful.  I don't recall if JJ asked her what she did for a living.  She's on SSI now. 

DoctorK, I didn't get a "dumb" vibe so much as a "what's the point?" vibe, as if life was simply too much for her to handle.  Daughter in the Merchant Marine -- I wonder if she's already been accepted. 

Brattinella, I didn't catch the shunning/discrimination -- you mean the daughter or the mom?  She was lucky to have a friend to bail her out of situations for all these years.  I suppose plaintiff figures she can let go now, since the daughter is 18. 

• Love 4

See, I just don't understand how people can get massive tattoos on their faces and then get all bent out of shape when no one will hire them!  Unless you are actually a performer of some kind, I don't get it.  The mom had said that she was not allowed to be somewhere, I didn't catch the location. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Tat Lady said she had come out of a very bad marriage.  And I wonder what Seven's six older siblings are named.  (JK)

I need to rewatch -- I missed the bad marriage part. 

Tat Lady could do telemarketing.  Or probably find work in a club, or a tattoo parlor.  ??  I don't know, since I don't go to clubs and I have no tats.  Hell, I was 40 before I had my ears pierced.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

I need to rewatch -- I missed the bad marriage part. 

Tat Lady could do telemarketing.  Or probably find work in a club, or a tattoo parlor.  ??  I don't know, since I don't go to clubs and I have no tats.  Hell, I was 40 before I had my ears pierced.

If I had gone into a tattoo parlor (I have 3) and she worked there, I'd probably have changed my mind.  

• Love 4

Rerun, the sugar glider couple. I know it's been discussed before, but I hadn't seen it. Wife is plaintiff, husband is defendant. They don't even have half a brain between them:

JJ: Did you move out before or after Christmas?

Def: Before.

JJ: Before or after Thanksgiving?

Def: After

JJ: So you moved out either the end of Nov or the beginning of Dec?

Def: *long puzzled look*

JJ: I'm waiting for an answer!

Def: I don't know.

• Love 7

And then JJ says she doesn't believe their on-again off-again relationship is any attempt to defraud the govt out of disability - with the unsaid "because you don't have the brains to do this on purpose"!

ETA: and we have receipts. Of course these two are people of Walmart!

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Face Tats lady certainly was working the dramatic look. This didn't really bother me, but she talked enough to convince me she is mind-numbingly stupid. However, both mother and daughter broke my recommended makeup guideline: your eye makeup should not weigh more that your eyeball. I suspect that is why she was constantly blinking, too much weight to hold her eyes open. Also, I have known a few merchant marine folks, I am not sure that Seven (or 7?) is suited for that environment.

I thought she was blinking so much because of the contacts she was wearing which were a very intense color. Looked like she had a shaved head then plopped a mini-Marge Simpson beehive on top. The shaved head would look better. 

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

I didn't see the episode in question. 

Am I understanding this right?  Someone actually named their child Seven other than George Costanza's "future child".  If this is true Tatface doesn't sound as scary as someone who would name their child after a number. 

Now Soda...Soda's a good name.  That I can understand but Seven?  Crazy.

I'm guessing that there's one child named Soda, then there's others named Seven, Up, Sprite, Fanta......

• Love 6

Da fuq? Why can't Ms. Barksdale get a job? Oh, because she looks like she came from an audition for a horror movie? Does she get SSI because she can't get a job because she's mutiliated herself to the point that she would terrify any co-workers?  I had to stop watching this. Seriously - Whut da fuq?

I also couldn't watch the rerun of Shawntae vs. Shawn, (twins?) nor the ridiculous Battling Boggses, although I do love it when mature people play house on someone else's dime, think it would be fun to have a baby, ("I'll be the Mommy and you'll be the Daddy... ") but have to sponge not just from parents, but grandparents. I just can't take it anymore.

• Love 6

Except if you name your child Soda, in some parts of the country he'd be called Pop.  Which could be confusing for a little kid.  ;o)

Tatface was named Barksdale, like the drug-dealing brothers on The Wire.  Apropos of nothing.  Maybe she could get a job in collections.  I'd pay her anything just to go away.

Were the Battling Boggses the two heavyset people who . . . I don't know what their story was.  I'd seen them before, and I knew I didn't want to see them again.  She was wearing pink and he was wearing blue.  I assume that's so we'd know which was the girl and which was the boy.  I deleted them after a minute and a half.  Some days life really is too short.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Except if you name your child Soda, in some parts of the country he'd be called Pop.  Which could be confusing for a little kid.  ;o)

Tatface was named Barksdale, like the drug-dealing brothers on The Wire.  Apropos of nothing.  Maybe she could get a job in collections.  I'd pay her anything just to go away.

Apropos of further nothing, Seven was the little boy Married With Children introduced in the seventh season when Peg and Al took him in because his actual parents ditched him. He was only around for twelve episodes, and then like Chuck Cunningham, he went upstairs to his room and was never seen or heard from again.

• Love 3

I used to work with a guy named Ceven pronounced Seven. It was an old family name . 

We may all be missing on this one, maybe her name is Sven (pronounced seven). Most Americans have a much more diverse genetic heritage than they know.

Edited by DoctorK

Tattoo Woman and Se7en had me and my husband spellbound. I barely heard TW's testimony because I was: 1) trying to read what had been tattooed around her left eyebow; 2) counting the piercings in her face (7); 3) trying to figure out how her bun was affixed to her bald head (husband thinks it was glued); and trying to figure out if the mess on the right side of her face was smudged makeup or something deliberate. JJ usually asks people what the nature of their disability is but I don't recall her asking this woman. Her daughter looked silly and scary, sort of like Wednesday Addams. I'm glad the plaintiff ended their friendship; the defendant is a parasite that sucks the life out of people, drains their bank accounts and then moves on to another host.  I'm surprised JJ didn't give the plaintiff a hard time about the loans. Usually when defendants don't have the means to repay someone, JJ rules that the plaintiff should have had no expectation of being repaid. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Only because it has been bastardized in the vernacular.  Pretty soon we will all be abbreviating words and eliminating consonants in daily speaking.

SMDH.

It's funny that you used SMDH after you said that pretty soon we will all be abbreviating words and eliminating consonants in daily speaking.  Back when I was a teacher, I had a student say something that expressed regret and amazement, then she said "SMDH" as she slowly shook her head back and forth.  I gave her a good natured chuckle and pointed out she did not need to say SMDH if I could actually see her in action.  She laughed as well at how text speak comes to life.

• Love 3

. Looked like she had a shaved head then plopped a mini-Marge Simpson beehive on top. The shaved head would look better. 

I was seeing the same thing - I was trying to figure out if she was bald and bought her herself a hairdo to put on top or if she perhaps had some hair with shaved sides that she drew up into some kind of concotion (ala Tastee Freeze Cone Doo). I have seen many ladies around town that have done the shaved sides with braids that they pull up.  I was also fascinated by Se7en's look - her chest tattoos and her super drawn on Kewpie doll mouth. I think I missed a fashion trend someplace. . . 

And if you just listened to the case without looking at the participants, it was interesting but not outstanding. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Tattoo Woman and Se7en had me and my husband spellbound.

I finally watched the rest of this. While listening to her and the repeat with "Aaron Blumfield" (woman with the revolting, angry little slug of a b/f who got thrown out) I couldn't help but think about the fact that they have children and wrangle it so that strangers pay for their lodgings, hotels, water bills, lawyers, food, etc. yet they somehow find the money to get extensive tats, piercings, hair/wigs/weird stuff on their heads (and the decorated, massive fake eyelashes Tattoo Woman was sporting), jewelry, phones, etc.  These lazy bastards who work for the government need to stir their asses and check out just who is sucking up the slop in the public trough. As someone who has paid heavy taxes and worked since I was 18, this pisses me off so badly I need to stop watching this, lest I blow a gasket.

• Love 6