Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Celebrity Dish-asters

The new cast of celebrity recruits quickly learn that boot camp is no walk down the red carpet! To assess everyone's skill, Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray have the celebrities cook a dish using some unique ingredients from their swag gift bags. Then, they teach them a simple steak and eggs dish, which proves to be much harder than expected for the clueless cooks. After Anne and Rachael pick teams, one celebrity is sent back to Tinseltown.

Contestants:

• Barbara Eden, 84, Film & Television Actress ( I Dream of Jeannie & Harper Valley P.T.A.)
  • Mindy Cohn, 50, The Facts of Life & Scooby Doo Actress
  • Matt Dallas, 33, Television Actor & YouTube Personality
  • Tommy Davidson, 52 Comedian & Actor
  • Nicole Sullivan, 46, Former MadTV Star, Comedian, & Actress
  • Loni Love, 44, The Real Co-Host & Comedian
  • John Henson, 49, Wipeout Host
  • Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino, 34, Reality Television Personality
  • Kenya Moore, 45, Miss USA 1993 & The Real Housewives of Atlanta Star

I was actually fairly disappointed by how many of the original dishes got "not that bad" comments, or "looks nice." And also at how many did well at the steak and eggs challenge. These are supposed to be THE WORST cooks, not just mediocre cooks. What happened to the first season where people were randomly throwing gummy bears into their entrees to liven things up, or serving completely terrible, inedible food? That's where the real humor is on this show. I'm glad Barbara Eden was kept, because she seems to be a truly bad cook, and I hope they can make her a good cook. Her Curry Chicken Casserole I think truly was a reflection of her age though. That generation casseroled everything!

• Love 4

Unfortunately, I don't think any of these folks are famous enough to be truly clueless about how to cook. Paris Hilton is probably truly clueless about how to cook. Angelina Jolie probably clueless. Leo DiCaprio clueless. Tom Brady and Gisele definitely clueless. Tom Brady has never tasted a strawberry or coffee.

• Love 1

I was glad they kept Barbara Eden, too, just because she was such a nice person. I liked her saying that they should eliminate her -- some self-awareness on reality shows is always appreciated.

Maybe the celebrity contestants aren't quite as hopeless in the kitchen as their regular counterparts, but I don't ask a lot from this show so I'm not mad at it. Barbara not knowing how to unlock a pair of tongs was funny, as was Kenya's repeated tortilla burning. Ten seconds, Kenya!

I looked up Matt Dallas' age because he looked kind of rough to me and it hasn't been that long since Kyle XY; he's only 33. Maybe a shave would help.

I didn't mind Sorrentino as much as I thought I would and I'm fine with Rachael, which I know some people aren't.

Mindy was and is adorable. Nicole calling out a couple of shows she's been on and then saying "every mediocre sitcom" was odd. One of those things that sounded better in her head.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I personally have always found John Henson to be funny and Nicole Sullivan to be downright fantastic (on MadTV), so I'm happy to see both of them and I hope they bring the humor.

I've never seen Matt Dallas before but I was happy that he owned up to being gay.  Rather tough for a minor celebrity.

I thought Barbara Eden was fantastic for someone who is 85 or however old she is.  I mean come on, my Dad is 82 and he can't remember what food is, let alone how to cook anything.

I think most of these people are probably good enough to follow a recipe without any distractions, sort of like most of us?  But when you throw them on to a TV show without recipes and a time limit?  Well of course chaos ensues.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, LBFilmBuff said:

I think most of these people are probably good enough to follow a recipe without any distractions, sort of like most of us?

I'm not so sure about Nicole! Woman is a nervous dervish in the kitchen. But she at least cooks enough to know that about herself and implement her lei system. (Which, c'mon. She could put rubber bands around her wrist, but of course that wouldn't fit her deliberately kooky persona.)

6 hours ago, LBFilmBuff said:

I've never seen Matt Dallas before but I was happy that he owned up to being gay.  Rather tough for a minor celebrity.

He's been out for quite a while.  He and his husband have a YouTube channel and post weekly vlogs.  It's mostly them taking vacations or day trips with their son, minor home renovation projects, and... cooking.  His husband does most of it, but Matt helps and doesn't come off as clueless.  They promote Hello Fresh (one of those companies that mail you all the ingredients and instructions to make a meal).

Has "The Situation" had plastic surgery or is that just age and weight gain?  I didn't even recognize him.

This isn't my cup of tea, because it's so fake I can't ignore that and just watch the food, but I watched it while hanging out at a friend's house -- I figured an hour spent with "Natalie" and Barbara Eden (the only ones I know) couldn't be too awful.  My friend wanted to watch because Jersey Shore was her guilty pleasure for however long it was on, and she spent pretty much all of Mike's screen time yelling at the TV -- she said the JS cast had weekly (good, homemade) dinners at home, and Mike was the cook for many of them. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This isn't my cup of tea, because it's so fake I can't ignore that and just watch the food, but I watched it while hanging out at a friend's house -- I figured an hour spent with "Natalie" and Barbara Eden (the only ones I know) couldn't be too awful.  My friend wanted to watch because Jersey Shore was her guilty pleasure for however long it was on, and she spent pretty much all of Mike's screen time yelling at the TV -- she said the JS cast had weekly (good, homemade) dinners at home, and Mike was the cook for many of them. 

Yeah I posted in the anticipation thread his act is just sad because he isn't very good of an actor and always prided himself on his cooking which his castmates also agreed was good. 

Not to suggest that he is a gourmet chef, the meals were mostly Italian-American comfort food but he clearly knows his way around the kitchen more than they are showing.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I don't want to pity them, but the fact that the majority/some of the celebrities are doing the show and faking being bad cooks in order to ... increase their entertainment marketability? Get new gigs? Is pretty pitiful.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

To my surprise, I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to.  It actually felt less contrived than the last couple episodes of Master Chef.  

The only one of these people I "knew" was Barbara Eden.  She's really cute for her age.  I don't imagine she'll last very long though.

I had heard of "The Situation" but, for some reason, I assumed he was a handsome heartthrob from Jersey Shore so I thought he was the cute young fellow with blue eyes who needed a shave and turned out to be gay.  I was very surprised to find out that he isn't even attractive and I'm still wondering what the nickname means.  I liked the blonde with the leis and the woman with lilac hair and an awful voice.  I did not like the fat woman who was throwing spaghetti at the wall or the one who was eliminated who had a pretty face and was very impressed with herself.  So far I like the guy in a suit and the guy with grey hair.  All of the above might change next week.  I may even get their names figured out then. 

I think I watched about 45 minutes of this crap before I finally decided that I must be out of my mind to keep watching. I deleted the episode, then I deleted the series. I am done with this garbage.

And what is Mike Sorrentino taking to make his face bloat like that?

• Love 1

Getting the feeling that  Mike a.k.a The Situation will make it to at least the finals..and seeing as Jenni "JWOWW" Farley is going to be a guest judge(?) looks like there may be a JS mini-reunion of sorts..

SMH Kenya Moore acting up when being eliminated..now i wish she had been on Masterchef ,her arguments with Gordon and/or Tosi wouldve been epic lol

Edited by TDT
  • Love 1

Mindy Cohn's eyebrows made me start scrutinizing the makeup on all of them.  It's baaaad!  I think that's why so many people are perplexed about so-and-so looking "off."  Check it out.

I was spoiled and looking forward to Kenya Moore's elimination meltdown, so I'm sorry that didn't happen.  I had to settle for "Ken" repeatedly walking away from a ten-second toasting process.   Hee.

Lady, whatever your name is, don't be throwing shit on the floor and leaving it.  I like you, in general, and "I didn't feel like it" was an amusing response for why you used jar sauce instead of making more of your own--but not so much when it comes to the production crew picking up your mess.

I'm okay with the level of expertise.  It seems appropriate that the regular folks are cooking with gummibears and the "celebrity" missteps are more along the lines of being too arrogant to write down the instructions.  It's just a little lightweight piece of fluff show . . . although I almost always pick up a tip.  (And I'm a pretty good cook! >g<)

• Love 2

Sigh...where to begin?

How did so many clueless people make it to adulthood unscathed?

I'm rooting for Barbara because she's so cute at 80+ and doesn't take herself seriously.

I'd never heard of the rest of them except The Situation by name only.

The show is an epic mess, but I'll keep watching to see if it can possibly get worse.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't know because it wasn't that long ago that he did "Dancing with the Stars" and was much better looking (not that I ever thought he was good looking, but still).

Same goes for Mindy Cohn, who I saw on "What not to Wear" a few years back and looked a LOT better.  Geesh, even googling her she looked FABULOUS in 2014!  WTF happened?  What's up with the frightening eyebrows and purple hair?  I'm sure Stacy London is shaking her head somewhere.

Loved Barbara Eden - I think Rachael is probably a HUGE fan and knows that the world would descend on her social media if she sent her home.  I'm actually happy she saved her because this show is a farce anyway, I don't expect it to be 100% fair.

Speaking of Rachael, she is hiding her weight gain but when Loni Love picked her up, I was like WOW, she's gotten heavier!

I can't believe how many of these cast members I know of from other places, including John Henson.  How he managed to change from the sarcastic, cooler-than-you host of "The Soup" to a quirky, D-list doofus is beyond me!

I'm in, but only as comic relief.  Given that my life has been stressful lately, I actually need a little mindless entertainment.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'm in, but only as comic relief.  Given that my life has been stressful lately, I actually need a little mindless entertainment.

I know what you mean, Snark.  Mr. pig always asks me why I'm watching these shows when I'm always screaming at the flatscreen.

I tell him it makes me feel better.  :)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was actually spoiled that she would be out when they started filming because she threw a fit when eliminated.

Thanks for that.  It was delicious.  Everytime Nene or anyone else gets a gig I can picture Kenya losing her mind.  

This show is so unbalanced.  If these were bad cooks why would you give them tasks that take practice to perfect.  Treat them like children and cook say a grilled cheese with a side of fruit salad.

See you all next week.

• Love 2

Another woman touting her beauty pageant days from decades ago and acting like a jerk.  I'm a celebrity gossip hound and I'd never heard of her.

Go Barbara!  You look better at 84 than Kendra-thing looks at 45.  (crosses her arms and blinks)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Another woman touting her beauty pageant days from decades ago and acting like a jerk.  I'm a celebrity gossip hound and I'd never heard of her.

Go Barbara!  You look better at 84 than Kendra-thing looks at 45.  (crosses her arms and blinks)

Not saying Kenya isn't the worst but she does generate a lot of gossip because she is crazy and has been on Real Housewives of Atlanta for several seasons.

• Love 1
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:56 AM, joanne3482 said:

I don't know why I feel badly about Nicole Sullivan being on this show, but I do. Michael "The Situation" looks like Popeye. 

I thought the same thing.  Most likely 'roids.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM, GaT said:

I think I watched about 45 minutes of this crap before I finally decided that I must be out of my mind to keep watching. I deleted the episode, then I deleted the series. I am done with this garbage.

steroids

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I believe "the situation" is supposed to alude to his abs.

I've wondered what that nickname could possibly mean and I don't understand the reference to abs.  Would someone explain?

I've wondered what that nickname could possibly mean and I don't understand the reference to abs.  Would someone explain?

The story goes like this, although I'm not sure if it is total bullshit:

In season two of the "Jersey Shore," Mike gracefully explained why he is called 'The Situation'. "My abs are so ripped up it's called 'the situation.'"
"I walked by a girl with her boyfriend. She's holding her boyfriend's hand and as she walks by me ... she's like, 'Oh my God, honey! Look at his abs!' And my boys are like, 'Dude, that's a situation right there,'" Sorrentino explained on "Live With Regis and Kelly."
And a nickname was born.

• Love 2
On 9/15/2016 at 11:35 PM, biakbiak said:

Not to suggest that he is a gourmet chef, the meals were mostly Italian-American comfort food but he clearly knows his way around the kitchen more than they are showing.

Of course if he was asked to downplay his skills for the first few episodes, trying to recreate a recipe from memory is a pretty good way to do it. 

On 9/16/2016 at 11:01 AM, jumper sage said:

This show is so unbalanced.  If these were bad cooks why would you give them tasks that take practice to perfect.  Treat them like children and cook say a grilled cheese with a side of fruit salad.

The series has always been dysfunctional. It's half "World's Wackiest Kitchen Katastrophes" and half "My Fair Lady: Food Edition." Genuinely teaching skills to people who need them would be boring, and Food Network is much more about entertainment than information.

• Love 4

I knew there was no way that "Jeannie" would get eliminated during the first week, although based simply on technical merit alone, she should probably have gone home.  Even though she was a total hot mess in the kitchen, I knew she was safe when Rachael called her out for forging ahead and finishing. Anyway, I'm delighted that she's staying and hope she does well.  I'm glad nasty Kendra got sent packing early.  I watched her on "Celebrity Apprentice." Calling her evil was probably the one and only reasonable thing Donald Trump has spoken as of late. And that's says a LOT after he'd had two seasons with Omarosa.

I'd heard of "The Situation" and had no idea as to how he got that nickname.  The backstory is truly stupid and I wish I hadn't read it. Anyway, I was shocked to read that he's only in his 30s. He looks way older and his going on and on about whey protein and protein bars and carbs, etc.,  didn't add up with his physical appearance.

Based on one episode, I can see the gay guy on Anne's team and the blonde comedian who made the chili making it to the end. Wait? I hope they aren't on the same team! LOL! Usually, these is at least one team member swap per season, maybe more, so it could work out.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, preeya said:

"I walked by a girl with her boyfriend. She's holding her boyfriend's hand and as she walks by me ... she's like, 'Oh my God, honey! Look at his abs!' And my boys are like, 'Dude, that's a situation right there,'" Sorrentino explained on "Live With Regis and Kelly."
And a nickname was born.

I never would have figured that out!  I guess it makes a modicum of sense but I still think it's a goofy nickname.  Thanks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, grisgris said:

I'd heard of "The Situation" and had no idea as to how he got that nickname.  The backstory is truly stupid and I wish I hadn't read it. Anyway, I was shocked to read that he's only in his 30s. He looks way older and his going on and on about whey protein and protein bars and carbs, etc.,  didn't add up with his physical appearance.

He looks like he's aged over a decade since he was on Dancing with the Stars in 2010.  I was thinking steroids too.

I noticed some of them had the red mark on their index fingers some instructors use to provide a visual reminder for those who incorrectly place their index finger on the top of their knife, so presumably they get actual, useful instruction off-screen.  If that stuff was on screen, I would watch this show.  It would be interesting to see people learn - especially on a celebrity edition, where it's people the audience already "knows" (even though I only know two of these people) - and they could still have plenty of time for silly challenges and talking heads in which these people all audition for their next gig.

• Love 3

I rather enjoyed the first episode, much to my surprise. That said, I wish Anne would stop describing underdone eggs as "snotty." I used to like her but she's turned into a vulgar hypercompetitive unpleasant person, IMHO.  I hope Rachael Ray wipes the floor with her.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, preeya said:

I thought the same thing.  Most likely 'roids.

His face reminds me of "Cancer Puff;" it just has the puffiness of someone going through chemo. Barbara Eden, surprisingly, annoyed me the most but all of them were pretty aggravating and (as I've probably stated in all of the Food Network related forums) I don't cook At All.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:12 AM, GaT said:

Steroids?   And wasn't he just on "celebrity Marriage Boot camp?"  

So he tries to stay relevant by saying "my relationship is crap AND I can't cook?  Ok, must be nice to be the kind of celebrity who gets paid to suck at life.

• Love 1

While I did enjoy this episode.  I personally have never seen migas,  made the way Rachel Ray made them. 

I understand chilaquiles  and migas can get interchanged but,  they aren't the same. However,  Imo they both start with crisp corn tortillas.  Not grilled tortillas.  Now,  everything like life depends on where you are  from,  I just have never seen it done that way. 

I had chopped on and was surprised to see Tommy Davidson on it (although he was first eliminated).  Oddly enough it was from 2014.  So I guess either this show (at least the celebrity edition) is at least somewhat fake or Chopped really was scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

• Love 1