Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Can't believe I missed FJ.  I even read that very fact on mentalfloss or cracked or one of those websites recently, still missed it.

I tried again to guess what it would be before the clue came up based on the category, went with To Kill a Mockingbird.  Glad that wasn't the answer based on the clue. 

Also couldn't believe they did Irish poets and didn't include Robert Burns.  Then I realized he is Scottish, not Irish. 

It must have been funny for them to film that episode months ago in preparation for St. Patrick's day.  Contestants likely had no idea that is what they had in mind. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I flunked card catalog filing 3 times

Those things are the devil's toys and cataloging comes right after the torments of Sisyphus and Tantalus in hell.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It must have been funny for them to film that episode months ago in preparation for St. Patrick's day.  Contestants likely had no idea that is what they had in mind. 

Yes, and I thought it was pretty serendipitous that Holly was wearing a green dress.

For Grant's DD Friday I smugly proclaimed "Waiting for Guffman" instead of Godot. D'oh!

Even though Rebecca began her interview story with 'so', I would love to have been a part of her research of baby formulas using baby monkeys. 

• Love 4
On 3/17/2017 at 7:02 PM, illdoc said:

I understand the (former) champ's FJ answer (confusing Goldman with Golding), but what book was the other loser thinking of ("rabbits and mice")? Watership Down? Of Mice & Men?  I cannot believe "I Left My Heart in San Fransisco" was a TS!!!! You hear "Tony Bennett song" and it immediately comes to mind!

I knew it was The Princess Bride, but I thought the two suggestions to write about were swordfighting and princesses. The clue didn't ask for the title of the book or say the two things were in the title. Bleh.. just annoyed that I knew it but not really.

• Love 4
On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

When I taped my game, it was in September, but they told us it would air on October 30th, so we knew there'd be at least one Halloween-related category.  Don't know if they still do that.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

When I taped my game, it was in September, but they told us it would air on October 30th, so we knew there'd be at least one Halloween-related category.  Don't know if they still do that.

Also, doesn't Alex frequently mention relevant holidays in his intro? I typically ff but I have heard him do it before.

• Love 2

That was just a sad game.  So many TS!  And near-TS -- I'm still reeling that it took three tries to get Navy.  Not to mention the TS of MOMA, Phantom, Bogota (remarkable that no one knew the capital of Colombia), Nick Nolte, Baffin Island, Missouri River, and Eagles.  There were probably others that I got, but didn't write down.  Oh, I feel like I should have gotten Ravens (though I didn't), since I know Ravens and related birds are corvids -- cuervo should have led me to corvid and thus Raven.  Alas!

That said, I know little or nothing about Popes, and was clueless for FJ.

• Love 6
On 3/16/2017 at 9:01 PM, SierraMist said:

Not sure why I have a quote box.  Anyway, FJ was an instaget for me, but I wouldn't have wagered much in that category.

There were way too many TS's. I can't even remember most of them. 

I ssaid Festiva instead of Fiesta. 

Edited by teebax
Added more to my comment
  • Love 2

Congrats to Rebecca again.  Geez, people!  Stop with the wild ass guesses!

I got Phantom, Bogota, Nick Nolte, Missouri, Cape Town, and Italy.

Alex, the category of the NFL teams didn't ask for the city, so STFU!

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 6

Instead of Phantom I said [Kia] Spectre. I totally missed the Rolls Royce indicator. They didn't say it had to be a Rolls, specifically, so I wonder if they would have accepted it, since it is a 7-letter word meaning "ghost."

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

I cannot believe that Elba question was a triple stumper. I thought that was Kid's tournament easy. None of the 3 knew that? Strange because the Champ seemed very knowledgeable about a lot of things. I was mad we didn't get through the B geography category.

What is the capital of Columbia that starts with the Letter B? Oy vey

I got FJ but I was about to guess Benedict which as it sounds a lot more Latin than John and Paul. 

and I got the DD of Eagles for the Spanish NFL team

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

Well that was underwhelming. 

Instead of Phantom I said [Kia] Spectre.

Same here, although I couldn't pick one out of a lineup.

The only TS I remember getting was MoMA. For FJ, Pius was the only thing that came to mind that sounded halfway Latin so technically it was a lucky guess.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Cuervo...there's a team called the Beers?

Yeah, The Beers was all I could think of. :D

I thought FJ was pretty easy. My sister, in the other room, ran out to tell me she got it right, and then she stuck her tongue out.

I got Museum of Modern Art (and I don't know NYC very well at all), civic, Bogota, and Nick Nolte. I was straining to remember Baffin, but I failed. Oh, and I said lounge lizard instead of snake-eyes. Duh.

I liked in the interview part where Christiane said her response to her boyfriend's proposal -- There's a ring in the tub! -- was, "This is terrible, but the answer is Yes."

• Love 4

Ha!  I have Ashlee Vance's book on Musk right next to me.  I was a bit thrown, though, as Vance is male...   they referred to "her" book.  

Edited by eimSD
  • Love 2

I thought Cerveza is beer; Cuervo is tequila, right?  José Raven Tequila.

I remember, as a little kid, seeing Pope Pius' picture on the "Parade" (or the equivalent) magazine in the Sunday paper. I was in my grandma's bedroom; I can still see her coral-colored bedspread. I thought it was a stupid name. But I remembered it for FJ tonight.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought Cerveza is beer; Cuervo is tequila, right? 

Of course you're right. I got cuervo confused with cerveza, and even without the confusion I was wrong.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Geez, people!  Stop with the wild ass guesses!

I know, eh? The woman on the end might have kept it from being a runaway if she hadn't made so many bad guesses.

Not a great game but I do like the current champ.

I have had such a long run of missed FJ's so I was pleased that yesterday's was an instaget.  I even knew he was the twelfth. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

I'm still reeling from the fact that "Bogota" was a TS. It's practically the only city you can name in Columbia (please don't list a bunch of Columbian cites!).

Awwww, and I was going to do just that. lol 

Actually I do know a couple of other Colombian cities, but was surprised they didn't get Bogota when the "B" was given to them.

Cuervo...there's a team called the Beers?

It's the San Jose Tequilas!

14 hours ago, chewycandy said:

Holland MI was such an easy DD.

Not for me - I'd never heard of it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

Pretty crappy game Monday. I like the champ but the other 2 were OK also; no one annoyed. Very cool to have a grandfather as a Nobel Prize winner, but yeah, that would be hard to beat in family brainiac bragging rights. Christiane's proposal story was cute. 

For FJ I thought Pius right away, but then thought no Leo, no John, no it must be Pius. No clue (heh) if I would have been able to write it in time. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought Trebek was really condescending during FJ. He was like "no, children, that is a DIFFERENT name in English than Latin, you silly nincompoops" (paraphrasing).

I considered it, but I've never heard of anyone being named Pius in English, so I discounted it. And yes, Trebek was condescending, saying the Latin names of all the guessed answers. Like he just happened to have that information on the tip of his tongue.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Pretty crappy game Monday. I like the champ but the other 2 were OK also; no one annoyed. Very cool to have a grandfather as a Nobel Prize winner, but yeah, that would be hard to beat in family brainiac bragging rights. Christiane's proposal story was cute. 

For FJ I thought Pius right away, but then thought no Leo, no John, no it must be Pius. No clue (heh) if I would have been able to write it in time. 

Certainly a noble prize is more prestigious than winning jeopardy, but I am surprised what alex said about the prize money for Jeopardy.  There is a substantial cash prize for a Nobel, though not everyone keeps it.  Some donate to charity and sometimes its split between winners.  And I have no idea what it was in the 1960s, but most recent years its been around $1 million per prize.

• Love 4

From Wikipedia: (they don't mention the 1960s amount, however)

The purse has increased since the 1980s, when the prize money was 880 000 SEK (c. 2.6 million SEK, US$350 000, or €295,000 today) per prize. In 2009, the monetary award was 10 million SEK (US$1.4 million, €950,000).[89][90] In June 2012, it was lowered to 8 million SEK.[91] If there are two laureates in a particular category, the award grant is divided equally between the recipients. If there are three, the awarding committee has the option of dividing the grant equally, or awarding one-half to one recipient and one-quarter to each of the others.[92][93][94] It is common for recipients to donate prize money to benefit scientific, cultural, or humanitarian causes.[95][96]

• Love 2

In the category "colors", how can no one answer "Brown" when it asked about an Ivy League university????  Did the (former) champ not notice the game had begun? She was such a non-entity it was embarrassing!! I thought FJ was an instaget. Crops????? Sigh.

• Love 8

I know nothing about fashion, so I had no idea about final jeopardy. 

Yes the returning champ played pitifully on this one.  Even her answer of Taylor for the daily double.  Harrison was dead for a decade before Taylor became president.  Jackson seemed pretty obvious. 

• Love 5

Yay, I remembered to record it!  Much better game than last night -- far fewer boneheaded guesses, and far fewer clues left on the board.  Glad Kevin won.  Even though he only did it once, Adam lost be when he started in the middle of that one category in the first round.

Man, what happened to our former champ?  Was Kevin just that much faster on the buzzer?

FJ was an instaget -- India, horses, gotta be jodhpurs.  At least Adam didn't answer Hammer pants to go along with his MC Hammer clue/answer earlier!  :)

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

No, but I did. [/facepalm]

Well, I was torn betw parachute pants and harem pants. I went with harem pants even though I figured a man wouldn't wear them. I wondered what polo had to do with the pants. I should have thought harder.

I only got one TS, or rather, a missed DD, but now I can't remember what it was.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, hjmugillecuty said:

I just caught Friday's episode, because when it aired I was meeting Cary Elwes, Wallace Shawn, and Chris Sarandan; AKA Westley, Vizzini, and Humperdinck. FJ was an instaget.

I am officially so jealous!

I kept getting texts from a sick friend during the think music, but I was 95% of the way to jodhpurs so I'm giving myself partial credit.  I think the old champ couldn't keep up with the buzzer, and then she correctly realized her only hope was to go TDD and then she missed it.  If she'd gotten it, she could have won, depending on how the wagering went.  It just shows how much J! is about more than just what you know.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

I thought FJ was an instaget. Crops????? Sigh.

Riders carry riding crops so his answer did make sense, even though it was wrong. I liked my fellow Canadian, Adam, and hoped he would win but Kevin is fine with me too.

Instaget FJ for me but, like others here, I wasn't quite sure where the h went:)

I got Brown, which really was a surprise TS since it was in the colour category.

• Love 3