Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Just Married

• Start Topic

The couples get advice from a relationship expert before they go off on their honeymoons. Also: Sonia and Nick address their insecurities; Heather and Derek learn about each other's habits; and Tom tries to keep a secret from Lillian.

*sigh*

I wish Tom would just be honest.  I wish Heather would just be honest.

I am actually liking the vibe between Nick and Sonia.  They seem to balance each other out nicely.  Plus, I think Nick is pretty funny and kind of sexy. lol

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Meraji said:

What's Heather got to be honest about?

Just that she thinks Derek smokes more than "occasionally," and that she was actually asking him about his smoking, not her road rage. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, HZAnita said:

*sigh*

I wish Tom would just be honest.  I wish Heather would just be honest.

I am actually liking the vibe between Nick and Sonia.  They seem to balance each other out nicely.  Plus, I think Nick is pretty funny and kind of sexy. lol

Right now, Nick and Sonia are my favorites.

Heather is already sabotaging her marriage. I'm waiting to see what happens when Tom shows Lillian his bus.

• Love 3

I didn't see the whole episode tonight, I was going back and forth between this and the Olympics. I found the Olympics more interesting, all the couples talk was boring to me. I just wanted them to get to their honeymoon destinations.

I'm surprised Tom and Lily didn't consummate the marriage, they seem to be very physically attracted to each other. A red flag went up though when she talked about how she flips out if the toothpaste is squeezed from the middle of the tube instead of the bottom. My Dad had the same obsession about the toothpaste tube and he had OCD. I wonder if she does too. Tom is very laid back, I can't see him being picky about things like that.

Heather seems to be finding little faults with Derek already. She said she didn't mind an occasional smoker but now she's making an issue about it. And according to next week's previews things don't seem to get better.

I didn't see a lot of Sonia and Nick but they just seem awkward together to me. 

Edited by Straycat80

It may be editing but Heather is coming across as very condescending and that she thinks she's superior to Derek.  She's taking the lead on everything rather than sharing.  Like, she makes sure Derek is aware she's been all over the world and their honeymoon locale is nothing new to her.  But just because she's been somewhere doesn't mean it wont be a new experience with her new husband.  She needs to relax.  There's just no chemistry from her towards Derek that I can see so I think she just gonna rag on him and kill the relationship.  They're doomed.

Sonia is adorable.  On the one hand I can see where Nick could balance out her emotions but on the other hand he may not be able to give her the warm comfort and reassurance she needs.  I don't think he'a cold or mean at all, just reserved.  He's a good guy in my book but might have to learn to express more warmth.  They could be really good for each other.

Lilli and Tom...waiting till she finds out about the bus, lol!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

Sonia is adorable.  On the one hand I can see where Nick could balance out her emotions but on the other hand he may not be able to give her the warm comfort and reassurance she needs.  I don't think he'a cold or mean at all, just reserved.  He's a good guy in my book but might have to learn to express more warmth.  They could be really good for each other.

Awww...I think Nick is pretty affectionate.  I liked how they held hands and actually kissed a couple of times.  I do think they are still kind of awkward around each other, but at the same time are obviously attracted to each other.  I don't know.  Something about them just makes me get all warm and fuzzy.  Hope they last! 

Poor Lillian.  I feel kind of bad for Tom also.  He seems very aware that this could go very, very badly. Ha.

Edited by HZAnita
way too many "lol"s for a person my age. :/
  • Love 4

Don't get me started about Heather/Ashley. She is looking for a way out. Asking leading questions about bad habits.. only expressing herself to the talking head and not to him. Shelving everything like she is Miss Perfect... 

• Love 2

Heather/Derek- if you're not honest in the interview process, you can't complain if what u say you're ok with is what you get. As heather said if "occasional" is subjective then people could have different definitions of the word. She needs to lighten up. Btw with Derek's squinty eyes we wonder if he's smoking cigarettes or marijuana. 

Lilly/Tom- were very uncomfortable watching them. Want to be happy but too much too soon. There will probably be more than the bus that brings them down. 

Sonja/nick- been waiting for Sonya to cry since the beginning of the show. She's been on the verge since they told her she was matched. Glad she finally just admitted that she's an emotional person, should make nick understand her personality more. We like them both so far. 

• Love 3

Anybody else weirded out by Tom trying to feel Lily out about the "living in a bus" thing. He's like "Have you every seen the show, Tiny Houses?", "Sometimes, people are surprised by the amount of things and space they DON'T need", "Are you good with small spaces?"

Dude, just spit it out already. Or you know, stop being so stubborn about it and be willing to go back to living in a traditional home if you think it's such a deterrent to your relationships

Edited by ralph
  • Love 17
22 minutes ago, sisterscouch said:

Lilly/Tom- were very uncomfortable watching them. Want to be happy but too much too soon. There will probably be more than the bus that brings them down. 

I agree. It does feel a little too much too soon - and with most of the pairings through the past seasons that didn't end very well.

18 minutes ago, ralph said:

Anybody else weirded out by Tom trying to feel Lily out about the "living in a bus" thing. He's like "Have you every seen the show, Tiny Houses?", "Sometimes, people are surprised by the amount of things and space they DON'T need", "Are you good with small spaces?"

Dude, just spit it out already. Or you know, stop being so stubborn about it and be willing to go back to living in a traditional home if you think it's such a deterrent to your relationships

I actually started to feel a little sorry for him. It seems like he does care for her and he said he's afraid that he might lose her if she finds out about the bus. I guess he doesn't want to spoil the honeymoon with a potential letdown and a fight, but yes, the longer he avoids telling her the truth the biggest the shock might be for Lilly when she does find out.

I also agree that he should stop being so stubborn about living in that bus. Going on trips with it is one thing; but to live in it long-term? I just don't see how that would work if you want to have a family.

On the other hand, I heard Lilly say that she could live anywhere. So maybe there's hope for Tom. (Though it's also possible that by "anywhere," she didn't mean a bus...)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

It may be editing but Heather is coming across as very condescending and that she thinks she's superior to Derek.  She's taking the lead on everything rather than sharing.  Like, she makes sure Derek is aware she's been all over the world and their honeymoon locale is nothing new to her.  But just because she's been somewhere doesn't mean it wont be a new experience with her new husband.  She needs to relax.  There's just no chemistry from her towards Derek that I can see so I think she just gonna rag on him and kill the relationship.  They're doomed.

I agree that I don't think Heather is attracted to Derek but doesn't want to admit it so she is looking for things to find wrong with him. I wouldn't be surprised if she has done that in relationships before. She seems to have a bit of a superiority complex, and seems impatient and gets easily ticked off. 

If Derek smokes more than she likes, that's on the "experts" who matched them, not necessarily on Derek. Derek is smoking more that she defines as occasional so, without context, tries to get Derek to define what "occasional" means to him, which he says is only about once a week. Since he is smoking more than that, it seems like she's ready to pin that on him as if he lied about much he smokes. But, we don't know what he told the experts. He may have told them exactly how much he smokes, for example, perhaps he smokes two cigarettes a day. The experts may have defined that as occasional and assumed that wouldn't be an issue for Heather. It was on the experts to ensure that Derek's level of smoking wouldn't be a problem for Heather.

But, to Paddywagon's point, I think that Heather is looking for things to find fault with Derek. If it wasn't the smoking it would be something else.

30 minutes ago, HZAnita said:

Awww...I think Nick is pretty affectionate.  I liked how they held hands and actually kissed a couple of times.  I do think they are still kind of awkward around each other, but at the same time are obviously attracted to each other.  I don't know.  Something about them just makes me get all warm and fuzzy.  Hope they last! 

I think both Sonia and Nick are kind of awkward in general. But I still have the highest hope for them. They both seem sincere and seem to have good senses of humor.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

I'm surprised Tom and Lily didn't consummate the marriage, they seem to be very physically attracted to each other. A red flag went up though when she talked about how she flips out if the toothpaste is squeezed from the middle of the tube instead of the bottom. My Dad had the same obsession about the toothpaste tube and he had OCD. I wonder if she does too. Tom is very laid back, I can't see him being picky about things like that.

Heather seems to be finding little faults with Derek already. She said she didn't mind an occasional smoker but now she's making an issue about it. And according to next week's previews things don't seem to get better.

I didn't see a lot of Sonia and Nick but they just seem awkward together to me. 

I don't think having issues with where someone squeezes the toothpaste is a red flag. I think when it comes down to it we all have our own little quirks that could come off as OCD to many but in the end we aren't. I can think of a few I have but I am far from being OCD. Even laid back types can be this way at times. Now if she gets weird about everything or most things then ok. LOL 

It isn't on here yet so can't comment on the rest of the show but will say that Nick and Sonia have come off awkward from the get go. I'm not going back on what I said before either. As for Heather and Derek, I don't know what happens yet in this one but she was saying at the wedding that she thought he was good looking. I didn't notice any awkward like moments when they danced or kissed. IF the smoking is just cigs and its not as occasional as Heather would be ok with then this is on the "experts". They don't seem to care what is said though by these people. If they did they wouldn't put someone like her with a person that smokes beyond occasional and wouldn't put someone (Sonia) who is afraid of dogs with a dog owner (Nick).  Its that whole let them fix each other's issues BS by doing this. Just as I bet they matched Tom and Lily because of having dads that left...even if one was later in life. Let's see how many times they bring that up in things over the season. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HZAnita said:

Just that she thinks Derek smokes more than "occasionally," and that she was actually asking him about his smoking, not her road rage. 

Ah, that's right. I was thinking she must've said something to him as soon as he mentioned he smoked (like, off camera the first night) but I guess not. So yeah, that might fester.

This episode was so much fun to watch.  I smiled thru the whole show. 

Yeah there was something about Heather that said 'kill-joy' from the start.  Derek gets cuter and sweeter by the minute, and she gets more dry and negative.  They seemed off to a good start but he often mentioned his enthusiasm about her and being married,  and her responses were very general.   She doesn't have any light in her eyes.  And.. Heather doesn't like smoking At All apparently.. so I don't know what 'occasion' would be okay.  Don't criticize him.. you should have been more honest.  God I hate a nit-picker.

Nick and Sonia are really surprising me!  I think they may very well balance each other. Their shyness-es matched and it was cute to watch.  She was adorable in offering to iron his shirt and how she viewed his 'metro' as 'girly', but also said he had enough manly ways to balance it out.  Likely coming from a traditional upbringing and probably not used to more 'modern' men.   I loved how his mother's boyfriend Jim brought up why they matched a dog-lover with someone afraid of dogs-- and if they asked that on their assessments.  Glad to see the show is being open to some honest questions about their matchmaking.  Nick's an interesting character. Anxious to see what he's really about.  

Big fires burn quickly ..But I hope Lily and Tom know that level of heat will naturally fade and not think it's over!  I liked the fact that Tom isn't the type to shave or wax his chest hair!  I like hair on a man's chest.  I believe Lily will be okay with the bus, at least for the time being.  I think that could be one area where her youth will be a plus.  You're more adventurous and less concerned with the big future picture.  I know I was at that age.  (of course I was more of the hippie era--it may not apply as much in today's world which is more materialistic)  But I think if she digs him she will get his lifestyle as a big part of who he is and want to explore it --and I'm hoping he likes her enough to find a compromise down the line.       

• Love 4

Derek is coming across cool, and I wouldn't be surprised if his smoking also includes a potent strain of weed. He's got that "niiiicccee" vibe to his personality going on!

Ugh, Heather is gonna ruin this. Watch. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Jade Foxx said:

Derek is coming across cool, and I wouldn't be surprised if his smoking also includes a potent strain of weed. He's got that "niiiicccee" vibe to his personality going on!

Ugh, Heather is gonna ruin this. Watch. 

Derek doesn't strike me as a pot smoker.  NIck does somewhat.. maybe Tom..  but Derek would be the least of my choices there.  In fact I thought Nick seemed stoned at the reception--but it could be his personality.  

I know I'm turned off to Heather!  I'm thinking she thinks a lot more of herself than she is.  That wedding dress didn't suit her --but yet she apparently saw herself as "Marilyn Monroe-ish.  She's nice looking but has a very un-sexy personality.  I can see how she gets dumped a lot.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BunnySlippers said:

I agree. It does feel a little too much too soon - and with most of the pairings through the past seasons that didn't end very well.

I actually started to feel a little sorry for him. It seems like he does care for her and he said he's afraid that he might lose her if she finds out about the bus. I guess he doesn't want to spoil the honeymoon with a potential letdown and a fight, but yes, the longer he avoids telling her the truth the biggest the shock might be for Lilly when she does find out.

I also agree that he should stop being so stubborn about living in that bus. Going on trips with it is one thing; but to live in it long-term? I just don't see how that would work if you want to have a family.

On the other hand, I heard Lilly say that she could live anywhere. So maybe there's hope for Tom. (Though it's also possible that by "anywhere," she didn't mean a bus...)

Yeah, I got the sense that he was really afraid of losing her because off the bus and it made me pity him....but that goes back to my original point. If a someone is important enough, to him, he should compromise and not give them the ultimatum: we live in the bus or we can't be together. He doesn't even have to let the bus go. Maybe they can buy land with their house and he can keep it in the backyard, you suggestion about trips is good, he said it's in an RV park, so maybe they can stay there on weekends, i don't know....he's got options.

As for Lily, I think her saying she could live anywhere was more in the context of any city, state or maybe country, and type of area (city/urban, suburbs, rural)...not so much, house or converted tour bus in an RV park. LOL, but there's a chance she well be up for it (temporarily). But for a young person who's done so well for themselves who also talks about building a traditional family, I don't think she'd be OK living in the bus long term, if it all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ralph said:

I would have laughed if she had said that she had looked into the Tiny Houses, and as a real estate agent, thought they were a risky choice because of resale value and having to empty composting toilets.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, seasick said:

Yeah there was something about Heather that said 'kill-joy' from the start.  Derek gets cuter and sweeter by the minute, and she gets more dry and negative.  They seemed off to a good start but he often mentioned his enthusiasm about her and being married,  and her responses were very general.   She doesn't have any light in her eyes.  And.. Heather doesn't like smoking At All apparently.. so I don't know what 'occasion' would be okay.  Don't criticize him.. you should have been more honest.  God I hate a nit-picker.

Nick and Sonia are really surprising me!  I think they may very well balance each other. Their shyness-es matched and it was cute to watch.  She was adorable in offering to iron his shirt and how she viewed his 'metro' as 'girly', but also said he had enough manly ways to balance it out.  Likely coming from a traditional upbringing and probably not used to more 'modern' men.   I loved how his mother's boyfriend Jim brought up why they matched a dog-lover with someone afraid of dogs-- and if they asked that on their assessments.  Glad to see the show is being open to some honest questions about their matchmaking.  Nick's an interesting character. Anxious to see what he's really about.  

Big fires burn quickly ..But I hope Lily and Tom know that level of heat will naturally fade and not think it's over!  I liked the fact that Tom isn't the type to shave or wax his chest hair!  I like hair on a man's chest.  I believe Lily will be okay with the bus, at least for the time being.  I think that could be one area where her youth will be a plus.  You're more adventurous and less concerned with the big future picture.  I know I was at that age.  (of course I was more of the hippie era--it may not apply as much in today's world which is more materialistic)  But I think if she digs him she will get his lifestyle as a big part of who he is and want to explore it --and I'm hoping he likes her enough to find a compromise down the line.       

Ha!  I was thinking I hate his hairy chest. Grosses me out

its really a thing with me. No body hair

Where have I seen this behaviour before? Oh, I remember. Cigarette gate with our favourite MAFS "love" birds, Jamie and Doug. And the frigidity/lack of attraction screams Ashley.

Heather said she was okay with an occasional smoker. Perhaps she should've specified, and also it would've been great if she hadn't been pussyfooting around the issue under the guise of road rage. She seems like the type to self-sabotage. Her superior attitude was rubbing me wrong. I've travelled extensively, and even if I'm returning to a place, it's all about making new memories and experiencing different things with the person or people with. Girlie needs to lighten the eff up and stop looking for problems that may/may not be there.

Lilli and Tom are nice together. I was surprised and glad that no one consummated their marriage the first night. Of the three couples, they have the most natural interaction. I wish he'd tell her about the bus. It's too much too soon, and they need to slow down. It usually doesn't end well when they start off like that. Fingers crossed.

Sonia and Nick are awkward but I see potential. I think he's more reserved and the quiet observant type. I like their approach of building a friendship and getting to know each other. I'm more hopeful for them this week than I was last week. I got to see a bit more of his personality. I think once they get to know each other more on screen, it could be the makings of a great friendship or successful marriage. I can see the attraction, and I liked that they were being affectionate by kissing and holding hands. 

I'm glad the experts are a little more involved this time. I'm not crazy about the new lady, but I liked that she checked in with them before they departed for their honeymoons and even tasked them with little assignments. I've often felt that participants were lacking support. I wish the couples would all hang out on the show just to have that built in support of people who understand how you're feeling and the awkwardness.

Hoping this season won't be a bust. I'm thinking 2 out of 3 will make it. Definitely not expecting Heather and Derrick to last.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Paddywagon said:

Re Heather:  I once heard someone say that the innocence of a child is one thing, but the innocence of an adult is more beautiful.  It is easy for a child to be innocent, because they don't know anything yet; but when you are an adult and you see how some people can suck and be nasty, it's easy to have that baggage and carry it with you always, that's how I see Heather, a person who is carrying a lot of baggage, probably from what she has seen in her life.

Sonia and Nick:  What's good is that I think Sonia is able to read Nick, even if he doesn't verbally express himself.  He knew she was uncomfortable, and she knew that he was trying to make her feel comfortable.  He might need to express himself more with her.

Tom and Lily had real chemistry but I wonder if they will consummate their marriage before he tells her about the bus.  One of my friends and I agreed that we'd both be down for living in a small space (years of cleaning a large house will do that to you), but Lily might not feel the same way.  I didn't watch the matchmaking show but, if Tom told them that he lived in a bus, I wonder if he was asked if he'd ditch the bus for a spouse and if they asked him that question, I wonder what he said.

• Love 1

Heather wants out plain and simple, from day one she decided she didn't want him and will be cold and stand offing and purposefully try to start a fight just to give a reason for it to end. It's going to be a repeat of Ashley, the perfect person who no one is good enough for. This will play out in just a lot of cringe worthy moments and in the end she'll take no onus for the relationship not working.

Sonia and Nick I think will work, she is emotional but not abusive ala Sam from last season. Nick is reserved but open and shows he cares, they are being awkward but its a natural awkward given the situation they are in. I think once they settle in and have time they will grow, may have a few fights but I am pulling for them.

Tom is going to be a total d**k, if someone refuses to live on a bus in the exact manner of lifestyle you want is a deal breaker - don't go on a show like this or expect someone to conform without willing to have a little give - this relationship will go down in glorious reality tv flames

• Love 1

I don't really get why the bus is such a big deal or unless the producers want to make it one.

Is Tom not willing to move into a new place together? Has he assumed they have to live there?

Other than Monet/Vaughn, all the other couples moved into new places.

• Love 2

I have been holding off in posting in regards to this season because I don't know if I am just jaded/bored/seen it all before from the previous three seasons and until last night's episode, I had been fast forwarding through a lot of the content

First thing's first....MAFS, PLEASE stop hijacking my DVR with like ten 'new' episodes a week.  A rebroadcast with three seconds added footage and one of your patented boring new titles does not make it a 'new' episode.  And Jamie Otis overreact to everything is unwatchable.

Nick/Sonja - I feel as if I am in the minority here but I am finding Sonja to be REALLY grating....like nails on the chalkboard grating.  Being emotional at the drop of a hat gets old really fast and while Nick seems to have the temperament to handle it now (well who can tell with that constant poker face of his...dude, crack a smile...it won't kill you), at some point it will wear him down.  And oh she's 'emotional' because she was in a serious relationship and got hurt and doesn't want to be hurt again?  Oh...that's so unique....like no one else has gotten hurt in their past.  And if you don't want to be hurt again....maybe you shouldn't be on a marriage reality show with a 20 percent success rate!  And finally...and here is what is my pet peeve is....she speaks as if she ends EVERY sentence with a question with her inflection going up at the end of each sentence.  That drives me crazy?  I would not be able to handle that for long?  Does that come in Large?

Heather/Derek - Poor squinty Scruffy McScruffington....Heather will destroy you.  Forget about leaning how to correctly dispense toothpaste, you had better get a nicotine patch and pronto!  And you know that there is a ton of other stuff that she will nitpick as well.  Listen as a non-smoker, I get how smoking can be a turn off but then be honest about it.  This isn't Match.com where an 'Occasional Smoker' usually means a pack a day...if it bothered you that much, then it should have been a deal breaker in the matchmaking process.  For once, I cannot fault the experts.

Tom/Lily -  Tom...being materialistic does NOT mean that you live in a fancy house or drive a luxury car (Summer of Audi is here, just ask for Tres on a great new lease!), it means that any particular object and/or lifestyle is more important to you and you place that above your interpersonal relationships and are unwilling to adapt or compromise. Your stupid bus and your 'lifestyle' that you are unwilling to adapt from makes you the materialistic one....(at least from what we have seen so far...Lily may be as well but we do not know that yet).  I have no idea why Tom would think that getting married to a stranger would be the way to go to find someone who would be thrilled on living on a bus.  Hey that's great that you love it, but 98% of the population would probably despise it.  This was YOUR dream since you were a kid....not anyone else's and certainly not Lily's.  Tom NEVER should have been cast on this show unless they had found a match that also happens to love living on a bus.  I fear that this early chemistry will be gone by the time the honeymoon's over..this will be another Sean and Davina

• Love 8

Poor Derek said, "I know my wife is conservative".  Ha!  Maybe with a guy she's not attracted to, sport.  If she's into a dude, she's getting naked in public and jumping into bed right away.  Notice how she's says that she doesn't want this to feel like a hookup - I'm betting there have been a ton of hookups in her past.  How funny is it that Heather, a jaded, 32 year old stewardess, thinks she's better than anyone?  I hope Derek shows some stones and dumps her early instead of repeating David's embarrassing behavior from last season. 

Both Derek and Nick seem like boring dudes.  No charisma at all.  Tom is the only one this season with any personality.

Lily and Sonia - they seem nice enough but I'm bored by both of them already.  I might end up bailing this season if things don't pick up.

10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

People tend to be pretty sharply divided on toothpaste tube squeezing, I wouldn't think anyone who felt strongly one way or the other had OCD, any more than I'd think someone who felt strongly about which way the toilet paper should be placed on the roller. I myself don't care about either, and find people who worry themselves over such things amusing. Wouldn't jump to psychological disorder at first blush, though.

8 hours ago, seasick said:

I love Derek. He's so twinkly and smiley. He does have a kind face and kind eyes, as Heather noted at the wedding. Is that the last nice thing she said about him? I love how all in and positive he is. He's upbeat and is constantly making conversation, trying to draw Heather out. She bites off one word answers and criticizes his suggestions. He says "wow, cant wait to hit that pool!" and she snarks "why do you want to go to the pool? the ocean is right there!" He says with a smile "lets take our drinks and go to the hot tub!",  she looks like he handed her a dead squirrel then says unenthusiastically "sure". Find a nicer way to say it, dear. No wonder you couldn't hang on to a boyfriend. She is determined to sabotage herself. I feel bad for Derek, who is committed and really trying. I think he looks a little like Robert Downey Jr., and that is a point in his favor in my estimation.

3 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Heather said she was okay with an occasional smoker. Perhaps she should've specified, and also it would've been great if she hadn't been pussyfooting around the issue under the guise of road rage. She seems like the type to self-sabotage. Her superior attitude was rubbing me wrong. I've travelled extensively, and even if I'm returning to a place, it's all about making new memories and experiencing different things with the person or people with. Girlie needs to lighten the eff up and stop looking for problems that may/may not be there.

Lilli and Tom are nice together. I was surprised and glad that no one consummated their marriage the first night. Of the three couples, they have the most natural interaction. I wish he'd tell her about the bus. It's too much too soon, and they need to slow down. It usually doesn't end well when they start off like that. Fingers crossed.

Sonia and Nick are awkward but I see potential. I think he's more reserved and the quiet observant type. I like their approach of building a friendship and getting to know each other. I'm more hopeful for them this week than I was last week. I got to see a bit more of his personality. I think once they get to know each other more on screen, it could be the makings of a great friendship or successful marriage. I can see the attraction, and I liked that they were being affectionate by kissing and holding hands. 

I'm glad the experts are a little more involved this time. I'm not crazy about the new lady, but I liked that she checked in with them before they departed for their honeymoons and even tasked them with little assignments. I've often felt that participants were lacking support. I wish the couples would all hang out on the show just to have that built in support of people who understand how you're feeling and the awkwardness.

Hoping this season won't be a bust. I'm thinking 2 out of 3 will make it. Definitely not expecting Heather and Derrick to last.

Yes to all this. Heather is turning out to be really unpleasant.

Lilli and Tom are so cute. I guess its too much to hope for that they'll succeed. Of any couple ever on this show, their relationship seems the most organic, developing naturally and feeling comfortable. I am crossing my cynical old fingers for them.

Sonia is starting to make me uncomfortable. She seems really needy and constantly terrified. I feel like she wants to cry all the time but she's holding back. I'm a crier myself so I was just urging her to go into the bathroom, turn on the shower, and have a nice bawl for herself. She's probably overwhelmed and emotional, a good cry would do her good! Just to let it all go. I did think Tom was kind of mean about the horseback riding, needling her about not being afraid of a horse but afraid of dogs. Fears like that aren't rational. I'm not a dog person either so I got that.

I was glad to see the experts give the couples exercises and support pre-honeymoon. They really did just throw them to the wolves in previous seasons "Hey, you're married! Off you go! Figure it out! Bye!"

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ralph said:

Yeah, I got the sense that he was really afraid of losing her because off the bus and it made me pity him....but that goes back to my original point. If a someone is important enough, to him, he should compromise and not give them the ultimatum: we live in the bus or we can't be together. He doesn't even have to let the bus go. Maybe they can buy land with their house and he can keep it in the backyard, you suggestion about trips is good, he said it's in an RV park, so maybe they can stay there on weekends, i don't know....he's got options.

As for Lily, I think her saying she could live anywhere was more in the context of any city, state or maybe country, and type of area (city/urban, suburbs, rural)...not so much, house or converted tour bus in an RV park. LOL, but there's a chance she well be up for it (temporarily). But for a young person who's done so well for themselves who also talks about building a traditional family, I don't think she'd be OK living in the bus long term, if it all.

I totally agree: Tom should not give an ultimatum about the bus if he really cares about her and their marriage.

I think Lilly said she could live anywhere when Tom was prodding her about her thoughts on living in a small space. But I'm sure she thought he meant a small house, not a bus. Yes, maybe she'll be up for it for now, but I don't think either that she'll be okay with it in the long run.

Oh and BTW the little preview about her driving a Lexus: real estate agents have to be conscious of the image they project to their clients, so I think that's at least one reason why she would drive a car like that, so hopefully that won't really be an issue (and it shouldn't be).

3 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Where have I seen this behaviour before? Oh, I remember. Cigarette gate with our favourite MAFS "love" birds, Jamie and Doug. And the frigidity/lack of attraction screams Ashley.

I think if Heather cannot stand any smoking (I don't think I could either), then she shouldn't have said that she was okay with occasional smoking. Or, if she said it was fine before, then she shouldn't be so critical  about it now. So yes, this time this was not the experts' fault. I actually don't dislike her (yet), but she is kind of rigid and stuck up and I don't know what she's doing on this show if she has such high expectations.

I was surprised, too (pleasantly) that nobody consummated their marriage.

And yes, while I don't like the new lady very much either, at least she checked in with the participants, so that was a good change. Also, the exercises she gave them were much better than the stupid fish bowl.

40 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

I don't really get why the bus is such a big deal or unless the producers want to make it one.

Is Tom not willing to move into a new place together? Has he assumed they have to live there?

Other than Monet/Vaughn, all the other couples moved into new places.

I think the bus is a big deal because most women would not want to live in one, and Tom knows that. And if he's so nervous about it, then yes, I think he expects them to live there - eventually.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mentalquaducts said:

Tom is going to be a total d**k, if someone refuses to live on a bus in the exact manner of lifestyle you want is a deal breaker - don't go on a show like this or expect someone to conform without willing to have a little give - this relationship will go down in glorious reality tv flames

Men (and women) will go a long way for love.  I think (hope) she will give it a chance. She's adventurous and fun.  I don't think she's ready for the "white picket fence" either.  I think he will go to something more traditional over time,  OR they might buy a live-aboard boat and live on that for awhile!  I think all that stuff is very cool when you are young.  Don't rush the normal and traditional.  There's plenty of time for that. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

Poor Derek said, "I know my wife is conservative".  Ha!  Maybe with a guy she's not attracted to, sport.  If she's into a dude, she's getting naked in public and jumping into bed right away.  Notice how she's says that she doesn't want this to feel like a hookup - I'm betting there have been a ton of hookups in her past.  How funny is it that Heather, a jaded, 32 year old stewardess, thinks she's better than anyone?  I hope Derek shows some stones and dumps her early instead of repeating David's embarrassing behavior from last season. 

Both Derek and Nick seem like boring dudes.  No charisma at all.  Tom is the only one this season with any personality.

Lily and Sonia - they seem nice enough but I'm bored by both of them already.  I might end up bailing this season if things don't pick up.

I think Derek is adorable.  I love his warm personality and although I'm not a huge fan of tattoos  (depends)  I though he looked super sexy with his.  I don't see boring at all.  You have to take into account who he's playing off of.  She's not fun or playful.  His comments fall flat on her.  She has about zero sense of humor so far.  

I think Nick could be interesting.  I'm giving him a chance.  I think he's the kind who says very funny things in an understated way.  I'm impressed that they have had a lot of conversations about all kinds of things. I assumed he was "shy"-self centered.  Seems not.

Yeah-- Tom and Lily can be a little (I love you shmoopie--no you're shmoopie--no you) obnoxious in their digging each other but it's still a joy to watch after the past 2 seasons.  I think it will move past that.  Hey they bus is coming!  That should bring on a new story-line. 

• Love 3

This whole business they have of matching people based on negative character traits is ridiculous.  One person's OCD neatness does not suddenly change their partner's slob tendencies overnight, if ever.  The expert "reasons" why they matched each couple basically came down to "this person's fun loving personality will totally cure this other person's resting bitch face".  It's great when you find someone who has strengths that are opposite your weakness, that makes you a good team, but my husband's shitty diet and food issues haven't changed in 20 years no matter what amazing meals I cook.  People generally don't work that way.

Poor Sonia has some body insecurity, almost as if someone has told her she's fat or ugly.  She didn't let Nick carry her over the threshold even when he asked 3 times, I'm not sure if she explained that to him or just in a TH to the audience.  She never seems to sit comfortably, she almost poses, with her toes pointed and legs crossed.  She's desperate for Nick to tell her she's pretty or I dunno, appear to be overwhelmed with lust so that she feels he's attracted to her.  Being needy isn't ridiculous but you need a partner who is great at communicating his thoughts.  Nick is super not that guy.  David last season would've been totally perfect for her.

I love Nick (and I do really like Sonia) and I think he's probably very overwhelmed and didn't expect he would feel that way.  We forget that when we're watching close up shots of them laying in bed or sitting together in a car, that those were taken by a person with a huge camera on their shoulder about 12 inches from their face.  If you're already anxious and wondering  wtf were you thinking 2 days ago and did I make a huge mistake, having all that going on while someone is in your face is going to make you feel worse.  I think Nick's poker face and blank eyes just mean he's not going to show anything  he's thinking.  I also think that out of any couple on any season, Nick and Sonia get that this is a real marriage and take the whole thing seriously enough to not make a snap decision one way or another about each other.  They aren't infatuated immediately or saying "nope" right away.  They're going to cautiously work towards a relationship.  

Edited by Trixie Belden
Somehow I wrote everything twice!
  • Love 7

Tom & Lily - yes, they do seem to have hit it off fast, but so did Courtney & Jason.  I don't see insincerity in either of them.  By that I mean I don't think there are any ulterior motives between them for being on the show.  They both seem to want to be married, and couldn't be happier at the selection.  The one drawback that we keep hearing and seeing is the bus issue.  I see it more as Tom's whole lifestyle.  He loves living right on the beach, surfing everyday, and having a bus is the way to do it.  In my experience, not a whole lot of women would want to live that way.  But they could compromise.  The show keeps alluding to the fact that Tom won't compromise.  So I guess we have to wait and see on this.  I think Lily is adorable and Tom looks like he is pinching himself for being so lucky to get her.

Sonia & Nick - they have been my favs from the start, and I see real potential with them.  The fact they stayed up so late on their honeymoon night just talking is cool.  Nick told his buddies at the wedding that he didn't expect them to be intimate right away.  I don't see Sonia as super emotional.  The things she must see as a Social Worker would surely have toughened her up a bit.  But yes, she does show her emotions more than Nick.  If they can understand and accept the differences in each other and still want to be together, they will have a real shot at a successful happy marriage.

Derek & Heather - Derek has me stymied.  He seems like a really great guy, but my gut feeling is he's not 100% sincere.  I like that Heather is aware of her tendency to quickly find fault, but even with that knowledge she went overboard last night (from what we were allowed to see, of course).  To me she was over the top as soon as they landed when he looked out the limo window and saw a casino.  Right away her antenna goes up and she thinks he LOVES gambling.  Calm down, lady.  As far as smoking, I would not be surprised that she smelled it on him as soon as they met.  Surely when they were dancing at the reception.  Smokers find cigarettes calming...so there's no doubt in my mind that Derek lit up right before the wedding.  So why not talk about it right away and ask him upfront instead of some silly subterfuge about what traits they need to improve on.  She could have asked how many times he tried to quit to see if he was even trying to kick the habit.  I don't despise Heather.  She really wants to be married and she is very pretty except she is holding back on him.  Somebody said it somewhere else...there's no light in her eyes.  No excitement.  Something turned her off on him pretty quickly and I don't believe it was his looks.   

• Love 2

I'm interested to see the living arrangements when everyone gets back to Miami.  It's a large metropolitan area and geographic logistics will probably come up again. Tom's beach-adjacent mobile home park is probably well outside the city limits.

The more Tom fixates on the potential negatives of his housebus and delays telling Lili, the worse he'll make it seem. He should have mentioned it right away as one of the interesting factoids about him during their initial conversations:

"Where do you live?"
"I'm renovating a cool 90s tour bus out by the beach in CityName."

There, done.

• Love 4

Re: Heather and Derek and smoking. I am pretty sure they were not talking cigarettes here, dude was hiiiiiiighh. Those eyes, were they ever completely open? That's a whole different ballgame, even though it is used for medicinal purposes it is still, at this time in the state they live in, illegal. He says it is a daily habit. This would lead one to assume he is meeting up with a drug dealer regularly to procure his daily dose. To me, that would be a deal breaker, and should have been a question on the questionaire. As should cigarettes, I wonder, does it bother Sonia that Nick smokes cigs like a chimney? Thats a whole other ball of yarn. But regarding Derek, I definitly think the smoking they were referring to was weed, and kept asking my husband how are they so openly discussing this on TV? It's still illegal alot of places?? He shurgged and said, "maybe its legal in the place they are honeymooning, please stop hogging the guacamole and making me analyze this garbage with you" He secretly loves it too tho lol

• Love 5

Oh, man, I have to speak up for all the squinty-eyed people out there!   For some of us it is genetic!  I have my grandma's Catherine Zeta Jones/Helen Hunt squinty eyes especially when I smile.  I'm not always high, promise!

- President of the newly formed Squinty-Eye Support Group

Edited by izabella
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, SneakyCentipede said:

Re: Heather and Derek and smoking. I am pretty sure they were not talking cigarettes here, dude was hiiiiiiighh. Those eyes, were they ever completely open? That's a whole different ballgame, even though it is used for medicinal purposes it is still, at this time in the state they live in, illegal. He says it is a daily habit. This would lead one to assume he is meeting up with a drug dealer regularly to procure his daily dose. To me, that would be a deal breaker, and should have been a question on the questionaire. As should cigarettes, I wonder, does it bother Sonia that Nick smokes cigs like a chimney? Thats a whole other ball of yarn. But regarding Derek, I definitly think the smoking they were referring to was weed, and kept asking my husband how are they so openly discussing this on TV? It's still illegal alot of places?? He shurgged and said, "maybe its legal in the place they are honeymooning, please stop hogging the guacamole and making me analyze this garbage with you" He secretly loves it too tho lol

I really didn't think they were referring to pot smoking at all....but then again in one of the coming attractions he says  (something like) he didn't expect to be matched with an alcoholic!  Soooo maybe it's a war about how one gets 'high',  (But I still think the original complaint is about cigs..--we'll see.)   And she's so twisted about going to a casino and "gambling".  What DOES she like to do?   I think she's a major Bore.  Maybe she should try some weed. Maybe the stick will fall out of her butt.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, seasick said:

I really didn't think they were referring to pot smoking at all....but then again in one of the coming attractions he says  (something like) he didn't expect to be matched with an alcoholic!  Soooo maybe it's a war about how one gets 'high',  (But I still think the original complaint is about cigs..--we'll see.)   And she's so twisted about going to a casino and "gambling".  What DOES she like to do?   I think she's a major Bore.  Maybe she should try some weed. Maybe the stick will fall out of her butt.  

I think she is trying to portray the good girl image. Bad girl turned good. From the preview, I think Derek might have hurt her with his words during the fight and that made her flee. 

I am tired of these mafs people that run at the first sight of trouble. I don't think they know what marriage is. If there is a problem, you have to communicate and fix it. You don't just run away. If she left him after that fight, she probably did him a favor. Why stay married to someone who would leave if there is a problem? 

• Love 2

The more Tom fixates on the potential negatives of his housebus and delays telling Lili, the worse he'll make it seem. He should have mentioned it right away as one of the interesting factoids about him during their initial conversations:

"Where do you live?"
"I'm renovating a cool 90s tour bus out by the beach in CityName."

There, done.

Exactly! If Tom just wants someone who would live on that bus then he shouldn't have been on this show. But we know there are producers..........................................

No one should be adamant the spouse move into where  they live, bus or house.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ctbabe said:

I think she is trying to portray the good girl image. Bad girl turned good. From the preview, I think Derek might have hurt her with his words during the fight and that made her flee. 

I am tired of these mafs people that run at the first sight of trouble. I don't think they know what marriage is. If there is a problem, you have to communicate and fix it. You don't just run away. If she left him after that fight, she probably did him a favor. Why stay married to someone who would leave if there is a problem? 

I've seen nothing in the actual show--previews included--about her fleeing.  I don't read any spoilers-social media stuff (unless and until I'm completely disgusted with the show. )  Not sure where this info came from unless I missed a preview.

6 minutes ago, seasick said:

I've seen nothing in the actual show--previews included--about her fleeing.  I don't read any spoilers-social media stuff (unless and until I'm completely disgusted with the show. )  Not sure where this info came from unless I missed a preview.

I just assumed since they have fewer shots in the preview.  They didn't show them checking out each other's place of residence.  All they ve been showing in the preview is from the honeymoon. I just have a strong feeling she bailed 

Edited by ctbabe
5 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

She should definitely have been more direct with what she was asking Derek.  It's not fair, and it's more than a little manipulative, to try to trap someone with vague questions when you mean to be talking about something else entirely.

I also agree that having traveled somewhere doesn't mean she can't enjoy the place with him now, and especially being able to show him all her favorite places so they can share the fun.  To her credit, she did say she was happy to be visiting Puerto Rico with him, but she didn't sound believable, lol.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ctbabe said:

I just assumed since they have fewer shots in the preview.  They didn't show them checking out each other's place of residence.  All they ve been showing in the preview is from the honeymoon. I just have a strong feeling she bailed 

okay.... that's quite a leap.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

How funny is it that Heather, a jaded, 32 year old stewardess, thinks she's better than anyone? 

I'm confused by this statement, it kind of comes off as sexist, but I'm not sure.  Like a woman in her thirties who is "jaded" should be glad that any man wants her?  Yuk.    That said, I really like Derek and I was impressed that he speaks Arabic and Farsi. 

1 hour ago, seasick said:

OR they might buy a live-aboard boat and live on that for awhile!  I think all that stuff is very cool when you are young.  Don't rush the normal and traditional.  There's plenty of time for that. 

The funny thing is that when you're older, you'll probably dump the white picket fence to live on a boat.  In the USA, the thing is to have a house with a white picket fence, I've never understood what's so great about that, for me, a house meant paying big $$$ to get shit fixed every year, I was pleased as punch to sell mine and use the money to travel.

After watching last night, I really don't blame the experts at all.  They are only working with what people tell them.  The problem is that many people really have no clue what they do and don't want.  Heather got upset when Derek smoked, but she told the experts that she didn't mind occasional smoking.  If smoking bothered her then she should have said, "I don't want a smoker."  Why didn't she just say that?  She also expressed concern when Derek mentioned a casino.  If that bothered her, then why not say, "I don't want a man who gambles?"

It's like the guy two seasons ago who said he'd move for a spouse but didn't want to leave New Jersey. 

I think too many of these folks don't even know themselves and that could be a serious problem.

• Love 4

Tom & Lily: Just as Jason & Cortney did, these two make a good case for how important chemistry is in a long-term relationship. A big part of that is sexual attraction, sure, but you can't base a marriage solely on sex. It's the kind of chemistry that's based on the explosive combination of both physical *and* emotional attraction. That's what keeps a couple together, and it's the one thing that is virtually impossible to test for on MAFS. Still wish the interviewers would ask, "Who's your celebrity crush?" as part of the matching process. That would help a lot with at least the physical chemistry aspect of this.

Nick & Sonia: I'm not sure what everyone else sees in them. I think she has an odd appearance - not helped by bright red lipstick and huge hair - and still reminds me far too much of the Hello Kitty lady from Millionaire Matchmaker. Her flaky and frankly immature vibe doesn't help that at all. I think she's very, very nervous about all this but expresses it with giggling, huge smiles, and deer-in-the-headlights expressions. And I've thought from the first minute that Nick doesn't want to be there at all and doesn't want to marry anyone, and is not at all attracted to a very young woman who's going to need a lot of hand-holding and emotional support. She's not going to get it from him. At best, he'll fulfill his contractual obligations, collect his paycheck, and move on.

Derek & Heather - Sure, she'd be okay with a guy who was an "occasional smoker," as long as he looked like Brad Pitt and had the same kind of money. When people say they'd be willing to bend their dealbreakers a little, they mean they'll do it if their mate is off-the-charts fantastic in every other way. They don't mean they'll put up with it if they're first reaction to that person is "meh." He wants someone who is laid back and fun, and she wants the perfect man. Yeah, this'll work.

The main thing I've learned from this show - other than that chemistry really does matter - is that if people can't get married any other way than MAFS, there's usually a pretty good reason for that.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, okerry said:

Nick & Sonia: I'm not sure what everyone else sees in them. I think she has an odd appearance - not helped by bright red lipstick and huge hair -

I totally disagree with this.  To me Sonia has a nineteen forties, old Hollywood glamor look to her.  She doesn't look like these Instagram "hotties" with their fake breasts, fake lips, fake butt and size double zero bodies. 

• Love 21

Sonia seems very nervous all the time; maybe it is the cameras maybe it is Nick. i don't really like Nick so far and find his sarcastic comments to be hurtful. He seemed to go on and on about her being afraid of Dogs and not horses. Maybe she had a dog bite her once or doesn't like dogs that climb all over you. I just hate mean spirited teasing. I agree that Nick does not look happy to be there.

Tom and Lilly seem fun and happy but I think that glow is going to wear off. I wouldn't want to live in a bus and hope Tom is flexible on that. As for Derek and Heather. Derek does seem like a pot smoker but I cannot say he is one without proof. Heather doesn't seem mean to me, she just seems like a woman who is used to speaking her mind. I don't know if they will end up together or if either is really all in. 

• Love 2

About Nick and the dog issue: I think it was disappointing for him to be matched with someone who is afraid of dogs because his dogs are important to him. He doesn't want to give them up for his new  wife, and he sees this is a conflict that maybe he doesn't know how they will solve. Still, I agree that he shouldn't have gone on and on about horses vs. dogs. I think, too, that Sonia must have some reason why she's afraid of dogs. Maybe she was bitten once, or she was scared by one when she was little (that happened to my daughter). Besides, dogs and horses are different. I don't think I've heard of a horse mauling someone to death...

• Love 1