Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Preview Special - 08/14/16

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

I wonder why they are doing it so far in advance of the season premiere?

I think maybe because Fear the Walking Dead returns on 8/21 and doing something on the mother show a week before they hope will drive interest in FTWD?  

• Love 5

You know - I was mad when I saw that a new TWD episode was due to be recorded tonight.  My attitude was - I don't need to deal with you until October.  When I saw it was a preview - I deleted it as I didn't want to be bothered. 

I haven't thought about TWD in a couple of months - Didn't realize I was still pissed about that cliffhanger. 

Doesn't bode well about my returning - although I do love the posters here.

• Love 8

I was going to record, but then I saw that Yvette is going to be the celebrity guest. Now I am tempted to watch live since I adore her. However, the fact remains that I cannot imagine that the preview will have any info that I want to know. 

• Love 2

It looks like maybe they are using deleted scenes, like with Morgan, that maybe will help to flesh out some of the previous season. I can't help myself. I AM the show's zombie, and I always return. I know a lot of folks are annoyed by the cliffhanger, but that doesn't bother me as much as the Carol/morgan arc. I feel as if she had already come to terms with who she was post-ZA, and maybe wasn't comfortable with it, but knew it was the new normal. to just abandon the town she'd fought so hard to protect, as well as the group, seems out of character, and seems that the writers have sublimated her story and growth to Morgan's, which they find more interesting. Or maybe I'm wrong.

• Love 2

I think they're being a bit dramatic with, "You should have someone there to hold onto". My own life has already changed dramatically in the past few weeks. I might not watch. 

• Love 3

I managed to catch some of this while doing other stuff.  The only thing it told me is that I'm apparently not part of this show's typical fanbase because I don't care that Jeffrey Dean Whatever has joined the primary cast and I'm already bored and over the whole damn thing.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

All of this Negan hype from tptb is just reminding me of how I am not excited about the upcoming season.

Yeah...I'm looking forward to certain parts, but I'm afraid that those parts will be few and far between.

• Love 1

Okay, I got around to watching bits. Oy. I love Yvette and enjoy Chris, but this preview show felt desperate. The guy playing Dwight was kind of boring and the preview was crap. However, I don't blame any of them. They could not have interesting conversations about a show that none of them could talk about. This was clearly AMC's cash grab in hopes of raising FTWD's ratings. 

While on one hand, it makes my cynic heart sing in glee watching TWD make money off irrational fans who have no perspective, I have always thought that they have been playing a dangerous game with this disingenuousness about this "relationship with the fans." I thought they were would have learnt their lesson with the crazed rabid reaction to the cliffhanger, but there was Hardwick spewing the usual "it is all about the fans" and Gimple's ridiculous message to fans. RME.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I haven't watched all of this yet but please add me to the Yvette love train.  She's fantastic.  I think the actor that portrays Dwight kind of had his hands tied -- he can't reveal too much so there's not a lot he can say. 

I only began watching the show last season and have been marathoning previous seasons with AMC's last 5 or 6 Sundays of showing a complete season each Sunday.  I have been completely devastated over the deaths of other characters so I fully expect to be ready to throw a riot come October.  

Does anyone watch FTWD?  How exactly is it different or similar from TWD?

• Love 1

I was actually super annoyed by the discussion around fan reaction to the cliffhanger AGAIN. OWN YOUR SHIT. It's been 4 months; if people are still mad/disillusioned/indifferent then that's the way they're going to stay. Stop the desperate, "Hey, guys, cliffhangers are so so cool. It's actually classic television; you may be too dumb to get it, but trust us, this is actually the best episode ever written for TV." I actually loved Andy Lincoln's (and I think maybe Danai's as well) response of, "Everyone's reaction is valid." Even Robert Kirkman seems to be less and less of a full out dick these days, because his interview where he said, "Yeah, the writers were trying some new stuff to keep the content fresh and we may have missed the mark. Won't happen again," wasn't as full of shit as whatever the hell release Gimple prepared for the show. I don't even know what he said since Hardwick rammed through reading that at lightning speed. Something dramatic about cobbler and the end of the world and the new beginning is someone's end. ? Hold me to my word guys, but I just feel like we've been so inundated with how sickening and terrible this Negan controlled world will be and I'll be sitting here like ?? But maybe I'lm just as full of shit as everyone else. ?

Edited by kia112
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Does anyone watch FTWD?  How exactly is it different or similar from TWD?

I am going to take a stab at this. I think FTWD is an extremely pale imitation of TWD and I went in with pretty low expectations so I could be pleasantly surprised. However, I think that if you take FTWD for what it is: a cash grab by AMC and Kirkman where none of the main characters are in any real danger and/or are particularly interesting, it can be solid summer entertainment after all there are Walkers.

• Love 3

I like FTWD *shrug* but am apparently in a minority about that :)  They did kill off a main (and popular) character.  The sneak peeks for the new season look interesting.  Sure it's a cash grab - all TV is - but I feel like the vibe is slightly different than the mother ship.  I disagree that the main characters aren't interesting, I think they are....yup they do dumb things just like on TWD but pretty much all people do dumb things and if everyone acted competently we probably wouldn't have a show. 

I love YNB and like Hardwick but have to disagree about cliffhangers - the best ones (Star Trek "Best of Both Worlds", etc) were before the internet, before spoiling.   Plus the show gave us a cop-out with Glenn under the dumpster, so another one at the end of the season was one too many.    It didn't turn me off the show (other things are slowly doing that) but I didn't care enough to not be spoiled, if that makes any sense.  

• Love 2

I find myself rather liking the actor who plays Dwight. He seems tickled to be part of it, rather amazed at all the response, and very calm and not trying too hard on the couch. Now I have to remember to hate him come October. Heh.

• Love 5

I think they're being a bit dramatic with, "You should have someone there to hold onto". 

Seriously. Are they that delusional? The only thing that will have me running to a love one is if Negan murdered all of them. Nothing else would be surprising. 

Gimple needs to stop with the notes. They're so pretentious and say nothing.

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, SimoneS said:

At this point, I think that the hype about Negan is beyond over the top. I am like "just get it over with."

That's how I felt last season. I was wishing they could do a hi/bye like they did with Terminus (although I wished that they'd spent a bit more time on Terminus). 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Anela said:

That's how I felt last season. I was wishing they could do a hi/bye like they did with Terminus (although I wished that they'd spent a bit more time on Terminus). 

I always think that the trick is to have the villain do damage without having them out stay their welcome. This is why Terminus and Joe and his evil crew worked, IMO. I thought they spent way to many episodes on Phillip whose story should have been wrapped at the end of season three. I felt the same way about Shane who I thought should have been gone episodes before he killed.

The way that TWD is pimping Negan reminds me of soap writers who would fall in love with new characters/actors and have the whole show revolve around them for months, years even. I hope that I am wrong, but from what I know about the comics, I am not optimistic. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I stopped watching this when YNB started talking about how much she LOVES cliffhangars!  TPTB screwed the pooch and they need to just leave it alone.  I'm surprised Kirkman gave a statement about it.  I guess maybe they're trying to cover all bases.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, NurseGiGi said:

I stopped watching this when YNB started talking about how much she LOVES cliffhangars!  TPTB screwed the pooch and they need to just leave it alone.  I'm surprised Kirkman gave a statement about it.  I guess maybe they're trying to cover all bases.

I'm guessing maybe TPTB were totally surprised at the degree of negative backlash from a loyal fan base to their "cliffhanger", and they're trying to do damage control.  Maybe part of it was simply the manner it was read, but I thought I detected an undercurrent of urgency in Kirkman's statement - as if to say, "trust us, we know what we're doing". 

Which in itself is implicit acknowledgement of potential lost trust.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I always think that the trick is to have the villain do damage without having them out stay their welcome. This is why Terminus and Joe and his evil crew worked, IMO. I thought they spent way to many episodes on Phillip whose story should have been wrapped at the end of season three. I felt the same way about Shane who I thought should have been gone episodes before he killed.

The way that TWD is pimping Negan reminds me of soap writers who would fall in love with new characters/actors and have the whole show revolve around them for months, years even. I hope that I am wrong, but from what I know about the comics, I am not optimistic. 

I despised the Governor.  I could not wait for his sorry ass to be killed and I was disappointed that he was quickly taken out with a gunshot.  I felt he should have been left for the walkers to rip apart. 

I agree with your opinion on Terminus -- it did work because it wasn't dragged out.  Also, we, as well as TWD crew, knew nothing about it other than it was supposedly a safe haven.  We and the crew know/knew that Negan was/is bad news.

I think Shane worked because he wasn't a flat out villain.  There was understandable conflict because he had been Rick's best friend and he believed Rick was dead.  He became villainous after leaving - - drawing a blank on the name, but the guy from Herschel's farm - - to be killed by the walkers and certainly at very least selfish.  And he did turn against Rick at the end but I think it was played out just right.

37 minutes ago, halkatla said:

I´m watching as long as Daryl is alive (and not gay).

Yes.  If Daryl dies, I riot.  Hard.   He, Michonne and Abe are the only characters I would feel safe with confronting a ZA.  Everyone else dies.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, psychoticstate said:

I think Shane worked because he wasn't a flat out villain.  There was understandable conflict because he had been Rick's best friend and he believed Rick was dead.  He became villainous after leaving - - drawing a blank on the name, but the guy from Herschel's farm - - to be killed by the walkers and certainly at very least selfish.  And he did turn against Rick at the end but I think it was played out just right.

IMO, Shane was villainous after he tried to rape Lori at the CDC. He should have been finished soon after they reached the farm. Instead, there were endless repetitive arguments with Rick with Lori as a plot device.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

The sneak preview that they hyped the entire episode was probably the most boring sneak preview I have ever seen of anything.  I know they couldn't show any of Negan's potential victims in the sneak preview, but they could have shown Carol, Morgan, Alexandria, etc.  Instead, it was just Dwight on a motorcycle.  Yawn.  Give the fans something...

• Love 1
11 hours ago, halkatla said:

I´m watching as long as Daryl is alive (and not gay).

um.....why would it matter whether or not he's gay....or straight.....or bi....or asexual? Would you really honestly dump the show if it turned out he was gay all along? How would it change anything at all if it was just casually shown that he and Jesus were a happy couple?

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

um.....why would it matter whether or not he's gay....or straight.....or bi....or asexual? Would you really honestly dump the show if it turned out he was gay all along? How would it change anything at all if it was just casually shown that he and Jesus were a happy couple?

Um... because maybe @halkatla likes to dream about having a shot?  :>

Still dont get it Nashville. Plenty straight characters on my shows that I dream about for instance, Dutch on Killjoys or Felicity on Arrow or Carol on The Walking Dead. Dutch might maybe possibly be bi but so far, she's mainly been shown as hetero but that doesnt stop a (gay) girl from dreaming.

Edited by diebartdie
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, diebartdie said:

I don´t know, it would just matter to me and yes, I´d definitly dump the show because Darryl is the only reason I watch it and theoretically he´s the only hope for humanity´s gene-pool. And I´d rather have him asexual than gay, that would fit his character way, way better. I wouldn´t care if anyone else on the show or alive by then turned guy in the zombie apocalypse, the nicest, most beautiful person in za could be gay as hell, but not Darryl.

Caryl-shipping, maybe?

I do dare to dream :)

On 8/16/2016 at 11:02 AM, psychoticstate said:

If memory serves, the guy from Hershel's farm was Otis.

Not that anyone cares -- least of all Gimple et al -- but I still haven't watched the Season 6 Finale. I'm so over Negan. All these years of reading "Wait till Negan shows up" comments just wore out my last nerve, I guess.

That said, I do plan on buying the Season 6 DVDs when they're released next week, and (if time allows) will probably watch the finale before the Season 7 Premiere.

• Love 1

I still hate the cliffhanger but was settling down until they had to bring up again how wonderful cliffhangers were and that they LOVED them.  Just stop already.  I am not watching this season but will read reviews and this site.  They have ruined all my favorite characters and no one does anything that makes sense.

I am so glad I didn't watch it as it appears it was more backslapping on the "genius" cliffhanger. 
Producers - given the camera shot of who was beaten by the bat - it was the viewers who were beaten by the bat.  It's not only that we don't know who was beaten, but we were beaten as well.  This is the problem.  One of my favorite shows decided to put a bat to my head.  IMO

• Love 2
On 8/19/2016 at 10:24 PM, SharonH58 said:

I still hate the cliffhanger but was settling down until they had to bring up again how wonderful cliffhangers were and that they LOVED them.  Just stop already.  I am not watching this season but will read reviews and this site.  They have ruined all my favorite characters and no one does anything that makes sense.

Well, I'm glad they cleared that up. 

And here all this time I thought the prime purpose of the show was to entertain the viewers

Silly me.

12 hours ago, Macbeth said:

I am so glad I didn't watch it as it appears it was more backslapping on the "genius" cliffhanger. 
Producers - given the camera shot of who was beaten by the bat - it was the viewers who were beaten by the bat.  It's not only that we don't know who was beaten, but we were beaten as well.  This is the problem.  One of my favorite shows decided to put a bat to my head.  IMO

This bunch of fools and their (blindness to? unwillingness to acknowledge?) this colossal clusterfuck they keep mislabeling a "cliffhanger" are coming very close to doing something I would previously have thought impossible - making me sick of one of my favorite shows.  I was already feeling pretty ambivalent before this latest Production circlejerk accentuated the negative.  :[

• Love 7
On 8/16/2016 at 10:29 PM, diebartdie said:

OK, so now you've got me shipping Jesus & Darryl lol

Edited by katenm
bad grammar
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 8:53 PM, Nashville said:

This bunch of fools and their (blindness to? unwillingness to acknowledge?) this colossal clusterfuck they keep mislabeling a "cliffhanger" are coming very close to doing something I would previously have thought impossible - making me sick of one of my favorite shows.  I was already feeling pretty ambivalent before this latest Production circlejerk accentuated the negative.  :[

Everyone in this thread is making me glad I missed the preview.  The show is still pretty good if you avoid the producers' head games to try to create "tension" in the audience.  (The cheesemaker episode would have been pretty good if it hadn't aired right after Glenn's dumpster dive.) I think after watching the season opener, I'm going to let TWD accumulate on my DVR and watch a few at a time. That way the shenanigans won't bug me.  

That's probably a pretty good idea, @rab01, especially since it seems like no one I care about is going to show up again until episode 4, at least according to those filming spoilers.

It will be at least a week after the premiere before I watch the opening episode.  Just my way of refusing to give them what they want which is huge ratings for that Season 7 opener.  I would love to see a ratings dip (which I know won't happen) for that episode just to show TPTB that we don't like to be yanked around. And especially not yanked twice in one season!

2 hours ago, NurseGiGi said:

It will be at least a week after the premiere before I watch the opening episode.  Just my way of refusing to give them what they want which is huge ratings for that Season 7 opener.  I would love to see a ratings dip (which I know won't happen) for that episode just to show TPTB that we don't like to be yanked around. And especially not yanked twice in one season!

I don't have that kind of willpower.  I'll watch live, no matter how ticked I am that they screwed the fans with that "awesome" cliffhanger.

• Love 1

Unfortunately, I have a Walking Dead podcast, so I have to watch it live. I mean, not unfortunately; I love my podcast (?), but I can't join in rebellious actions like not watching, though I'd actually love to, this time around.