Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, JC123 said:

I LOVE PIMMS! I'm smashing a jug right now because we've finally had a decent sunny day. Pea and mint vodka Hahahahah what the heck. Not ok 

So not ok.  Not at all

*shudder*

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BritFan said:

Anyone on Instagram and feels like being sociable? 

I just created an account and have uploaded one entire picture.. because I'm fancy like that.

Hey!  Is your Instagram under BritFan?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Harrythecat said:

PIMMS !   Going to be in UK in 3 weeks and can't wait to have me some,

I love Pimms too!!!  It was magical first time I tasted that deliciousness.  I bought a bottle home to make it myself but I got confused ... they said to use lemonade which I guess in English means using something like 7-Up and I used actual lemonade... it was not delicious

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BritFan said:

Anyone on Instagram and feels like being sociable? 

I just created an account and have uploaded one entire picture.. because I'm fancy like that.

Add me if you like! I'm rebeccajane78. :)

• Love 1

I used to buy fish and chips from a store near Charring Cross station years ago when I lived in Europe.  It was gone during our visit in 1980's.  It was authentic and wrapped in newsprint!  We used to have 2 Brits here who had a fish and chips place but have moved back to England after 5 years.  Do miss that!

On June 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM, sleepyjean said:

God Speed Toby. I went to Austin in early September last year (first time there) and like to have died from the humidity. The first night, there, I took a 15 minute walk to get some dinner and had visible sweat marks on my shirt by the time I got to the restaurant. I really hate sitting around in sweaty clothes and feeling stinky, so I would never go there in summer without a car. I never tried public transit, so I can't speak about that, but it's an easy city to drive around, and a very easy drive from the airport.

Thanks @sleepyjean for sharing your experience. My family and I are a bunch of lightweights when it comes to anything over 70 degrees. We're used to foggy and overcast summers (natural air condition). Alas! We will have to research some more to make a decision about what to do.  

7 minutes ago, TobyBelle said:

Thanks @sleepyjean for sharing your experience. My family and I are a bunch of lightweights when it comes to anything over 70 degrees. We're used to foggy and overcast summers (natural air condition). Alas! We will have to research some more to make a decision about what to do.  

Hi TobyBelle...I live just outside of Austin proper and I have to agree with SleepyJean about needing a car. The heat isn't too bad yet, but if you're not used to humidity it can be brutal and make sure you drink a lot of water; especially when you are outside. I haven't been to the convention center area in awhile but there is a lot of construction in the area so plan on some extra time to get around. Uber and Lyft aren't currently operating in Austin which could have saved you renting a car, but I really do think it would be best to work your budget into allowing a car.

4 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

Hey!  Is your Instagram under BritFan?  

Oh I'm so dumb. I should have said! My instagram is soundslikemelon .. Because my name is Helen lol!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cherryblossom said:

I used to buy fish and chips from a store near Charring Cross station years ago when I lived in Europe.  It was gone during our visit in 1980's.  It was authentic and wrapped in newsprint!  We used to have 2 Brits here who had a fish and chips place but have moved back to England after 5 years.  Do miss that!

Loads of places still wrap in newspaper ? Why not multi-task and keep up to date with the news as you eat?!!!

• Love 4

I just checked out the British cheerleaders and to me they look like a pretty typical high school dance team. Not a high level competitive team, just a normal team. They are probably all pretty good studio dancers, but they just haven't developed that clean, sharp, high energy pom style. Nevertheless I thought they were cute and entertaining.

9 hours ago, BritFan said:

Loads of places still wrap in newspaper ? Why not multi-task and keep up to date with the news as you eat?!!!

A British pub near me (actual Britiah owners so as British pub as you can get in the US) says they can't use newspapers here because it violates health codes. Something about the ink here. He rolls his eyes when you ask lol, and wraps chips in food safe paper PRINTED to look like newspaper. It's kind of funny. 

14 hours ago, BritFan said:

Oh I'm so dumb. I should have said! My instagram is soundslikemelon .. Because my name is Helen lol!

OK, I'll follow you.  I'll PM you my Instagram name because I used my FB to create it so it has my actual name.  Don't want to post it on a public forum.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

I've been trying to figure it out but I'm at a loss! What does the acronym "TGTB" (or something like that) that everyone uses mean???

Do you mean TGTBT? I've seen this used a few times and I think it means too good to be true.

• Love 1

Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions, but I can't figure out how to use this forum and I'm hoping for some pointers?

One thread, but not others, used to come up with buttons down the bottom of each post such as 'like' etc - now it won't, and I can't figure out how to quote an actual person, edit my posts, or anything! I'm using iPad/iPhone - is there a setting that I need to turn on to get that functionality? What am I doing wrong?

On June 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM, TobyBelle said:

Hello! I'm hoping I can get some help from any Austin residents! My husband and kids (7 and 14 yr old) will be traveling to Austin in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to get some tips about getting around the city. We're going for a competition and will be at the convention center, but staying at a hotel off of NI 35. Would we be able to travel around Austin without renting a car? I did see there is a transit system, and am hoping we can rely on that to save on car rental. We haven't planned any site seeing visits yet. Thank you in advance! Any other tips and suggestions for our visit are greatly welcomed.

You need a car. 100% you need to rent a car. Texas is not mass transit friendly. I've lived in Austin- you need a car.

Completely off topic but I was thinking about this because it was mentioned on another thread about a former DCC being on a "real housewives of....." and I was thinking that we don't have anything like that in the UK. I mean even Australia has the real housewives of Melbourne. I suppose our nearest equivalent is TOWIE or Made in Chelsea etc. Which then got me thinking about other shows, we have strictly, America has dancing with the Stars, we've had our own versions of the bachelor and so you think you can dance. We have the great British bake off but your version of the  show flopped and yet ours is really popular on both sides of the Atlantic. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Pinknblue said:

Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions, but I can't figure out how to use this forum and I'm hoping for some pointers?

One thread, but not others, used to come up with buttons down the bottom of each post such as 'like' etc - now it won't, and I can't figure out how to quote an actual person, edit my posts, or anything! I'm using iPad/iPhone - is there a setting that I need to turn on to get that functionality? What am I doing wrong?

I post from my iPhone/iPad and the buttons are still at the end of each post. Along the bottom of each post there are five little icons. The first one is a quotation mark for quoting someone. When you click it on someone's post it carries the text in a quote box down into your new post box. The last icon is a heart and all you have to do is click on the heart to give a post a like.

image.jpeg

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

And omg YASSSS they're appearing for me on every thread now! Thank you if a mod stepped in and did something, it was like my site access was restricted or something, or at the very least not displaying properly. x

I've worked out that I can force it to come back if I go through a convoluted process of refreshing and shutting down my browser & turning around three times while holding my breath ? ... if I can be bothered!

if anyone has any hints & tips to keep it there permanently, please let me know. I'm using latest iPad & latest iPhone.

Thanks for replying & trying to help me out Oranaiche! x

(edited)

I'm on an older ipad, and had to adjust the screen tint after these forums finished their update. For what it's worth, on your screen shot above, i can see all of your icons. Just for kicks, try touching right next to th 0 that you can see, and see if the heart fills in? Maybe it'll be easier to see, and you'll know it's a color level snafu? Nevermind, I was looking in the wrong place...i don't see them in your screen shot. Drat.

AS for how to play with the tint levels, I don't remember how i did it, but started with the basic settings for the ipad itself, not inside any app.

Good luck!

Edited by Bubbetv

Thanks Bubbetv. All great ideas and I really appreciate you reaching out to help! I'm on the thread that BSG pointed me to now. It's annoying, but I can still read everything, just can't 'like', quote, or edit my posts. So my apologies to anyone if it looks rude when I don't quote people properly or respond with a like!

Hi all! I'm brand new to this forum, but have been following for awhile now!

This is my first post, and I don't want to mess up. Tried to look for icon explanations, but not quite 'getting it'. Or setting up my account. How do you pm someone, or post a picture?

bigskygirl......I saw your post about Phil to Txstar35..... I got to meet him this past February when I went to Dallas on a dream trip. He's just as amazing and nice as on tv. Went on a att stadium tour, locker rooms and all.....phil chatted with me for 15+ minutes, like i as a friend , even posed for pictures! Great great man!

been a DCC Fan since I saw the 1979 TV movie.  I have that movie on Vhs tape, plus the follow up TV movie, the 2 hour special and all 10 seasons. 

Im looking forward to posting elsewhere here, just trying to get the hang of it.

if I mess up, please forgive!

• Love 4

I did. I was on the stadium tour and we were getting on the elevator and I saw Phil.....and like did an OMG PHIL, moment....was so excited I could hardly stand it. After the tour, the folks upstairs told me he'd come up before I left, and he did. Gave me a big hug, we chatted, talked about his 'dance' with Jackie Bob, a few years ago. He asked me if I was going to try out for the team.......I laughed....

he walked me outside and gave me a hug again, before I left. He is just as awesome and enthusiastic as he appears on the show!  I tried to attach the picture but the file is too big.

I even went to halcyon salon and spa and had a makeover with Roger who did Madeline and Loren's hair. He was soooooo cool too!

being from Illinois, it was my trip of a lifetime! When we got to the cheerleaders locker room, I almost cried......couldn't believe I was there! Finally made it a reality!

if they hadn't been doing motocross at the stadium that day..... I do believe I'd have been down there trying my best impression of the field entrance.....minus any attempt at a jump split!

if I could shrink the picture files.....id post them.

• Love 1
On June 12, 2016 at 0:13 AM, Pinknblue said:

Highlight the post you want to quote from.  Quote This is offered up at the end of the highlighted post.  Click that button and it will automatically take the post and put it in a reply box.  

57 minutes ago, caligirl50 said:

Highlight the post you want to quote from.  Quote This is offered up at the end of the highlighted post.  Click that button and it will automatically take the post and put it in a reply box.  

Thanks - but it wasn't not knowing how to use them - my icons down the bottom had completely disappeared, there was nothing to click on! Bigskygirl put me in touch with site admin, fixed now!

• Love 1

Well guys, I think I am done with this board.  I don’t live in Texas and don’t know anyone who would try out for the squad, but it sickens me the way the dancers are discussed on this board.  Trashy, ugly, fake, fat, etc.  This board has devolved into a spewing bunch of mean girls and I can’t take it anymore. I respect women too much. 

BigSkyGirl, you are lovely, patient and professional.

Drops mic.

6 hours ago, caligirl50 said:

Well guys, I think I am done with this board.  I don’t live in Texas and don’t know anyone who would try out for the squad, but it sickens me the way the dancers are discussed on this board.  Trashy, ugly, fake, fat, etc.  This board has devolved into a spewing bunch of mean girls and I can’t take it anymore. I respect women too much. 

Drops mic.

Don't go ☹️ Not everyone is a mean girl. I don't think any of the girls are ugly etc. I always look for beauty in everyone I see.. If I looked half as good as any of those girls I'd be happy.

13 hours ago, caligirl50 said:

Drops mic.

Fwiw, I mostly lurk, and I'm sure others do as well.  

• Love 1