Type keyword(s) to search

Rio Scandals: Is It Ready, Will The Place Kill You & More!

I agree. Lochte's a douche but he isn't Adolf Hitler ffs. I don't understand the vitriol over this.

I don't get this comparison. No one's treating Lochte as if he's Adolf Hitler (or, to make this less Godwinny, someone who's committed rape or murder). If they were, then they'd be advocating for much more than a fine. 

Y'all follow the Vanderbilt rape case? I want to kill those guys. I don't want to kill Lochte. 

Dude's not being treated as if he's some eeeeeeevil monster. He's gonna be fine. 

This reminds me of when celebrities make idiots of themselves on social media, and some people defend them with, "It's not like they killed someone." Well, no shit. If Jared Padalecki (to use an example of someone who very recently had yet another social media fuck-up) had killed someone, my reaction would be a lot stronger than,  "What a fucking douche." 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Well Lochte doesn't have that many working brain cells.  So he douses those cells in alcohol and we have an international incident.

I am sure those guys were completely surprised to have anyone call out their behavior with a gun.  I, with a legion of thousands, have had to deal with the frat boy, entitled mentality, so I have no sympathy for them at all.

However, if security felt fine with drawing a gun on an Olympian, an American Olympian, with cameras rolling, God help the regular Brazilian. 

Well, security probably didn't know they were Olympians or Americans.  And who knows if their behavior would have been any different if it were drunken locals vandalizing the place.  After all, we're talking about an area where gas stations feel it's necessary to employ armed security guards.  Heck, this is hardly unique to Rio.  There are plenty of news reports here in the States where non-law enforcement folks pull out guns when they believe crimes are taking place.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

There are plenty of news reports here in the States where non-law enforcement folks pull out guns when they believe crimes are taking place.  

And chase down and shoot unarmed shoplifters in the back as they flee.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

Just read this article about the impact of the Olympics, including on Rio, and it once again makes me think they really should consider either a permanent "home" or -- as this article suggests -- a group of permanent "homes."

http://wtop.com/sports-columns/2016/08/rio-unraveled-big-olympic-lie/

the thing about this - and it was well written etc, is that - having a permanent home assumes that a country (or a city) can survive having the Olympics every other Olympiad etc. from what i've read, when Rio bid, they were on their way up economically, but then they got smacked by a recession and everything really got pooped. (Plus their other issues). I mean I remember when Sochi was happening everyone kept saying well we should just go back to Vancouver. but Canada financially isn't doing that hot (our dollar is incredibly weak right now). 

I remember just before the games started there were some athletes on the radio, and he was saying something akin to "sometimes i think it' just human nature to focus on the negative. and while you can go, the last thing Brazil needs is a Games, I think we should think what they are getting because of the Games, ie: building of a metro service etc. It doesn't change that there are serious issues, but the world has serious issues wherever they were go. No one will ever be happy, and people will go "yes but we shouldn't go THERE." and if we apply that all the time, then maybe the Olympics shouldn't be anywhere. And Maybe I'm biased but I think that would be just as sad."

I also read something - the World is a flawed place. but there are always bright sides - the Olympics are no different. But the underlying spirit will be strong. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Noreaster said:

Well, security probably didn't know they were Olympians or Americans.  And who knows if their behavior would have been any different if it were drunken locals vandalizing the place.  After all, we're talking about an area where gas stations feel it's necessary to employ armed security guards.  Heck, this is hardly unique to Rio.  There are plenty of news reports here in the States where non-law enforcement folks pull out guns when they believe crimes are taking place.  

Exactly.

57 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

And chase down and shoot unarmed shoplifters in the back as they flee.

THIS.

• Love 2

(click on it to see the replies.)

Lochte's a douche but he isn't Adolf Hitler ffs. I don't understand the vitriol over this.

Simply put: he lied.  And was given a few opportunities to set things straight for days even after he returned home.  It's not this was a simple fib saying he only broke a dish when he broke 2.  This was saying "I was robbed at gunpoint" when he teared down a poster while drunk, he didn't seem that interested in paying for it until pretty much forced to, decided to tell his mom who went to the media because 1) she is a concerned mom and 2) he is famous enough for the media to care, returned home and played dumb even on Instagram while details came to light.  I think the sponsors would have been more forgiving if he woke up from his stupor and admitted IMMEDIATELY that he goofed.  He sat on it until he realized the financial implications on him.  Too little, too late, and I'm happy that at least Speedo said "this is not ok."

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 13
On ‎08‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:27 PM, Ohwell said:

I think they're the two US shot putters who won gold & silver.  They aren't the only team of US medalists who didn't put their hand over their heart.  I think the reason Gabby got the publicity was because she was the only one of the five who didn't and it just looked odd because she stood out.  Not that she deserved it, but I'm just saying.

It probably didn't hurt that NBC made less of a big deal of the shot put medal ceremony than they did the gymnastics one; I suspect fewer people saw it to begin with.

1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

Just read this article about the impact of the Olympics, including on Rio, and it once again makes me think they really should consider either a permanent "home" or -- as this article suggests -- a group of permanent "homes."

The problem with this is that it's basically a "let's help the rich get richer" argument.  Hosting the Olympics in a permanent location only helps that particular city.  Whereas spreading it out allows other cities to potentially benefit.  It could help raise the profile of that city/country on the global stage, which may eventually yield increased tourism dollars and foreign investment.  It could also improve the quality of life for its own citizens through infrastructure improvements.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

The problem with this is that it's basically a "let's help the rich get richer" argument.  Hosting the Olympics in a permanent location only helps that particular city.  Whereas spreading it out allows other cities to potentially benefit.  It could help raise the profile of that city/country on the global stage, which may eventually yield increased tourism dollars and foreign investment.  It could also improve the quality of life for its own citizens through infrastructure improvements.  

But this very rarely is what actually happens. Just look at the destruction caused in Beijing and Sochi for two recent examples where harm was actually caused to many citizens.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, xaxat said:

Does anyone know about the health of the open water swimmers/sailors.

Coming into the Olympics, it sounded like they were all going to come down with the plague if they were in the water without a hazmat suit.

Check back in a couple of months once the bacteria from the raw sewage has a chance to work on their systems.

• Love 3

I don't know what the long term results may be but right now they don't have money to pay the police, fire department, teachers, etc. I firmly believe that they never should have gotten the Olympics after getting the World Cup, I'm not even sure why they thought it was a good idea to go forward with the candidacy after they got WC 2014 to begin with. One big event to put billions into is one thing, but two within two years sounds like a lot of money that could have been used for better causes.

• Love 5

Ryan Lochte gave an interview with People magazine on Sunday afternoon.  I think this is a far more convincing/sympathic account than the one he gave to NBC.  Maybe because People magazine is generally very sympathetic to its interviewees and knows how to present a better case, or because Ryan's PR team realized that the Saturday interviews with NBC were not well-received and they needed to change the narrative a bit.  

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20996464_21025722,00.html

Ryan Lochte has been doing a lot of apologizing lately. 

"I feel like let down a lot of people," he told PEOPLE in an exclusive interview on Sunday afternoon. "I feel bad that I've let them down." 

Lochte, of course, is talking about the bizarre incident at a Rio gas station in which he and three other swimmers were held at gunpoint. 

At first Lochte said it was a robbery, spinning an elaborate tale to NBC's Billy Bush. Later, he backed off on many of the details after Brazilian police alleged that he had vandalized a gas station bathroom – and that a security guard was simply trying to recoup their losses. 

Lochte now tells PEOPLE that he was untruthful when he detailed the incident as a "robbery" in his interview. 

"I made that up," he says. "The part that I made up was saying that it was a robbery. I think the word 'robbery' shocked a lot of people, and the story went viral after that. A gun was pulled, and we had to give them cash. If I didn't say 'robbery,' none of this would have happened." 

Lochte says he was confused during the incident, and truly thought he was being robbed. "I was going off their body language," he says. "If we were both speaking the exact same language, we wouldn't have argued, and things wouldn't have gotten heated." 

What He Remembers

Lochte is the first to say that his actions were "immature" and "stupid" – and says that he doesn't recall much of what transpired that night. "I remember some things that happened, but there are a lot of things that I don't remember," he says. "There are bits and pieces that I do remember." 

Lochte also says that he was drunk he next morning, when he gave an his interview to Billy Bush. 

But Lochte wants to make one thing clear. "I don't have a drinking problem," he says. "We hadn't been able to drink in like months. We hadn't gone out or partied. But we had just won a gold medal. We were out celebrating. I had one too many." 

Making Amends

Lochte says one of his biggest regrets was getting his fellow swimmers into trouble. James Feigen has been assessed a fine of nearly $11,000. Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger were not charged, but werepulled off a plane for questioning. 

Regarding Feigen's fine: "I'm going to pay that for him," says Lochte. "He doesn't deserve to have to pay that. It was my actions that got us all in trouble." 

Lochte says that he has called the swimmers to smooth things over. "I reached out to them and apologized," he says. "I told them, 'My immature behavior was stupid, and I'm sorry that I got you guys in this mess.' They were like, 'Of course. We just hope that this blows over soon.'" 

But before it blows over, Lochte wants to make one thing perfectly clear: he's not done apologizing. 

"I'm sorry if what I did caused any problems in [Brazil]," he says. "I hope that they'll accept my apology because I am truly sorry. I wish I could change it." 

• Love 1

Chicago was vying for this Olympics, but Rio got it instead.  I'm so glad they didn't select us because we also don't have enough money to pay for police, fire, teachers, etc.  Our state doesn't even have a budget and hasn't for a while, ffs.  And let's not forget the crime rate and murder rate.  We were doing much better financially when we were bidding, but not so much now.  The Olympics loses money for every city that has it.

• Love 12

Just look at the destruction caused in Beijing and Sochi for two recent examples where harm was actually caused to many citizens.

All the more reason I'm surprised Beijing landed the 2022 Games (though when 4 cities say "peace out" because of political or financial reasons and your opponent is Kazakstan, you're pretty much in the clear.)  Good that they don't need to build much more on top of it.  But on the other hand...human rights? (Though I bet the companies who deal with proxies will be cashing in on those buying their wares in order to tweet directly since most social media sites are blocked right now.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

29 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

The Olympics, like the World Cup, rarely provide enough financial benefit for the host city/nation to justify the cost of hosting.  Although at least Piraeus got a cleaned up harbor out of the Athens Games.  (And boy, did it need it.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

you know what bothers me. 
it's one thing when you first apologize and go "if it bothered you, i'm sorry."

it's obviously bothered people.
just say. "I'm sorry i was an ass." like stop with the padding. just go "i was an ass. i acted like an ass, i continued to act like an ass, and i'm sorry i acted like that. i can't take it back and i'm truly, sorry for everything this caused." don't keep hanging on the "if it bothers people..."

• Love 17
28 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

Although I read an article (can't remember where from) talking about how hosting the Olympics is usually a net loss for the host city so "rich getting richer" might not actually be the case.  And it's not like poorer nations should or could host (as it takes a lot of capitol to build and I hate for one of these countries to spend a ton of money for something that's going to be a net loss financially). 

I think there are ways to set it up to appease the other nations and obviously the host nation shouldn't get a permanent auto-qualify for all events.  My personal thought it set it up in Greece (no one can really complain about that, given the historic context and honestly I can't think of anywhere else that makes sense), let other nations help pay for the venue (with some reward, maybe profit sharing or something).  That way the host doesn't go bankrupt building and maintaining these structures.  I just think that unless building these structures somehow becomes significantly cheaper, it doesn't make sense to build these venues and then most are never used again.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I don't know what the long term results may be but right now they don't have money to pay the police, fire department, teachers, etc. I firmly believe that they never should have gotten the Olympics after getting the World Cup, I'm not even sure why they thought it was a good idea to go forward with the candidacy after they got WC 2014 to begin with. One big event to put billions into is one thing, but two within two years sounds like a lot of money that could have been used for better causes.

from what i've read - they won the bid back to back now the question is why and i think ego plays a part. they wanted to be the first city and not have it be say Argentina or something. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-rio-summer-olympics/lochte-sponsors-bromance-over-n634556

Speedo Drops Sponsorship of Ryan Lochte, Citing Questionable Values

The fallout from Ryan Lochte's discredited claim of being robbed at gunpoint continued on Monday, as longtime sponsor Speedo dropped the Olympic swimmer, issuing a statement Monday morning that read, "Speedo USA today announces the decision to end its sponsorship of Ryan Lochte."

The company said it had pledged $50,000 of Lochte's fee to a charity that helps children in Brazil, and ended on a scolding note, saying, "We cannot condone behavior that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for. We appreciate his many achievements and hope he moves forward and learns from this experience."

Polo Ralph Lauren, another Olympic sponsor, also appeared to be distancing itself from Lochte. His bio on the site's "Meet Our Athletes" page appeared to be down, and the swimmer no longer appeared in a scrolling slideshow of the brand's Team USA endorsers, nor in a spotlight featuring thumbnails of the athletes — although his photo appeared in a cached version of that same page. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Edited by Moose135
46 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

"I made that up," he says. "The part that I made up was saying that it was a robbery. I think the word 'robbery' shocked a lot of people, and the story went viral after that. A gun was pulled, and we had to give them cash. If I didn't say 'robbery,' none of this would have happened."

tumblr_mvtzg9CQbF1qb9jcko2_250.gif

• Love 9
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But this very rarely is what actually happens. Just look at the destruction caused in Beijing and Sochi for two recent examples where harm was actually caused to many citizens.

Olympics or not, Putin and company were bound and determined to turn Sochi into a Russian domestic vacation destination. The Olympics just added a few snow machines and sled runs to the palm trees and planes for the Formula 1 motorsports park. 

• Love 1

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040848/strong-opposition-to-isinbayeva-joining-international-olympic-committee-from-current-members

Twenty-five of the 67 voting IOC members present either opposed or abstained from voting in support of Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva, however.

The two-time Olympic pole vault champion was granted permission to travel here and to stand in the election, despite being barred from competing at these Games after her country's athletics team was suspended following the publishing of allegations of state-supported doping. 

Why I hate the horrible homophobe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10245582/World-champion-Yelena-Isinbayeva-criticises-Swedish-athletes-for-supporting-gay-rights.html

But Isinbayeva, who is an ambassador for the Sochi Games and has been appointed ‘mayor’ of the athletes’ village, said: “If we allow people to promote and do all this stuff on the street, we are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves like normal, standard people. We just live with boys with woman, woman with boys.

“It comes from history. We never had any problems, these problems in Russia, and we don’t want to have any in the future.”

Isinbayeva also said that whoever would end up winning the pole vault in Rio would never feel like the real Olympic Champion because she wasn't there. Yeah, she's a real peach, I don't understand why she's getting elected for anything.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

tumblr_mvtzg9CQbF1qb9jcko2_250.gif

I need to use this for all the things. 

yeah you knew when once 1 sponsor went for Lochte, they'd all go like Dominos. you don't want to be that sponsor that stood by Lochte's stupidity.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I need to use this for all the things. 

yeah you knew when once 1 sponsor went for Lochte, they'd all go like Dominos. you don't want to be that sponsor that stood by Lochte's stupidity.

Oh, but there is a mattress company that said it will stick with its agreement with Lochte until it concludes.  (They did not say if the contract ends next month.)

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It probably didn't hurt that NBC made less of a big deal of the shot put medal ceremony than they did the gymnastics one; I suspect fewer people saw it to begin with.

It was aired in NBC's primetime. I saw it, and I wasn't looking for it. It was seen by millions.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

this is the guy in question

5225651.jpg

All he is missing is a propeller on top of that helmet:
                                      prop beanie.jpg

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

On the other hand people could and plainly did comment on the Gabby Douglas thing who didn't even watch the Olympics once it made its way onto social media.

I foolishly read comment from idiots who complained loudly about Simone Biles being allowed to carry the flag at the closing since she didn't put her hand over her heart, calling her garbage and a disgrace. Uh, dude?  Wrong black gymnast. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It's kind of depressing the amount of energy spent in the US talking about a possible case of police misconduct in Brazil when a report released by the US Department of Justice detailing the documented and repeated misconduct of the Baltimore Police Department went pretty much ignored.

We can care about more than one thing at a time, you know.  It's not a matter of "my crisis is more important than your crisis."  It's a matter of "What's actually relevant to the topic at hand, which is the Rio 2016 Olympics?"  Hint:  Baltimore's problems aren't.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I foolishly read comment from idiots who complained loudly about Simone Biles being allowed to carry the flag at the closing since she didn't put her hand over her heart, calling her garbage and a disgrace. Uh, dude?  Wrong black gymnast. 

I think we can safely say that many people on social media are idiots.

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

So this is from 2008 but is getting passed around now.  Ryan's sister talking about their trip to Bejing.  Intelligence obviously runs in the family.

OH. MY. GOD.  I have never seen this before, and I am speechless.  And she appears to be completely oblivious to the fact that she's saying insanely racist things.  I'm not sure if I should assume she doesn't realize that one of her brother's teammates (and fucking relay teammate!) is half Chinese, or if I should assume that everyone just steers Nathan Adrian in the other direction if she's around.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

We can care about more than one thing at a time, you know.  It's not a matter of "my crisis is more important than your crisis."  It's a matter of "What's actually relevant to the topic at hand, which is the Rio 2016 Olympics?"  Hint:  Baltimore's problems aren't.

I should clarify. I'm not referring to this forum, but the media in general. Both social and professional. 

Were there any newspaper headlines about the Baltimore PD? How much coverage did it get on the news networks compared to Lochte? I doubt it trended on US Twitter. Yet their misconduct has far greater implications for US citizens than what may or may not have happened to four guys in Brazil.

It's hard for us as a country to care about something that can barely break the news cycle. 

• Love 3

Princess Sparkle, it's from 2008 and she later claimed that the video was meant to be satire. Based on the conversation, I don't think so. It's a little sad to me that this family has had so much opportunity to travel, interact with people from different parts of the world, but still continues to be so ignorant. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I should clarify. I'm not referring to this forum, but the media in general. Both social and professional. 

Were there any newspaper headlines about the Baltimore PD? How much coverage did it get on the news networks compared to Lochte? I doubt it trended on US Twitter. Yet their misconduct has far greater implications for US citizens than what may or may not have happened to four guys in Brazil.

It's hard for us as a country to care about something that can barely break the news cycle. 

It did make all the major networks' nightly news and CNN as well.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, evilmindatwork said:

Princess Sparkle, it's from 2008 and she later claimed that the video was meant to be satire. Based on the conversation, I don't think so. It's a little sad to me that this family has had so much opportunity to travel, interact with people from different parts of the world, but still continues to be so ignorant. 

I'll believe her if she can define what satire means.  I mean, good lord, that video is awful.

I refrained from weighing in on the Ryan Lochte situation until the whole story was out, and I realize this may sound naive, but I expected better from him.  When I first heard the story, I really gave him the benefit of the doubt - I'd watched his show (I KNOW) and always came off with the impression that while he was a dim bulb, he had good intentions.  However, now knowing everything that we know, I just think of him as this man-child that refuses to take responsibility for his actions.  I do believe he's sorry, but I think that's because he knows he tarnished his image badly and that it's going to affect his brand, not necessarily because he thinks he did anything wrong.  To quote many a parent (including my own), I guess I'm not so much mad as I am disappointed.  I want to give him a version of Tyra's "WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!" speech.    

• Love 4
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Isinbayeva also said that whoever would end up winning the pole vault in Rio would never feel like the real Olympic Champion because she wasn't there. Yeah, she's a real peach, I don't understand why she's getting elected for anything.

I suspect it's the same Soviet Bloc-Eastern Bloc block voting that has long tended to prop up bad Bulgarian folk singers at Eurovision time. 

• Love 1