Jeffrey Wright : Commissioner Jim Gordon

Andy Serkis : Alfred Pennyworth

John Turturro : Carmine Falcone

Directed by Matt Reeves

Anticipated release date: June 25, 2021

* - Provisional synopsis

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

Another Batman.  The last one came out *checks* eight years ago.  What is the rationale behind releasing another movie with a new cast?

I get the fatigue, but Batman is a very popular and profitable character; there was bound to be another one. Let's see if they can do something new and interesting with him this time.

On 6/30/2016 at 10:00 AM, MarkHB said:

Paul Dano : Edward Nashton / The Riddler

He's not Edward Nygma?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Let's see if they can do something new and interesting with him this time.

It's possible, but based on this cast of characters and early info, it seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

He's not Edward Nygma?

I believe it was revealed at some point that Nashton was his real name before changing it to Nigma.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, Brn2bwild said:

What is the rationale behind releasing another movie with a new cast?

There wasn't a standalone Batman film on the original DCEU slate, but when Justice League was condensed from two movies into one, they slotted a Batman film in its place that was going to be directed by and star Ben Affleck.  That eventually collapsed, but WB at that point felt that they wanted a new Batman film in their new, "less-connected universe" direction, so they brought in Matt Reeves and gave him free reign to craft his own thing.

Regarding Ben Affleck's effort, personally I don't think it's reasonable to direct AND star in one of these films.  Something like "Gone Girl" is one thing, but there is so much a director has to be in charge of on one of these comic book film sets that trying to manage all that plus be in character seems insane to me.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Another Batman.  The last one came out *checks* eight years ago.  What is the rationale behind releasing another movie with a new cast?

Batman is the comic book James Bond.

• Love 2

Here's the official press release...

Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ “The Batman.” Director Matt Reeves (the “Planet of the Apes” films) is at the helm, with Robert Pattinson (upcoming “Tenet,” “The Lighthouse,” “Good Time”) starring as Gotham City’s vigilante detective, Batman, and billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Starring alongside Pattinson as Gotham’s famous and infamous cast of characters are Zoë Kravitz (“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” “Mad Max: Fury Road”) as Selina Kyle; Paul Dano (“Love & Mercy,” “12 Years a Slave”) as Edward Nashton; Jeffrey Wright (the “Hunger Games” films) as the GCPD’s James Gordon; John Turturro (the “Transformers” films) as Carmine Falcone; Peter Sarsgaard (“The Magnificent Seven,” “Black Mass”) as Gotham D.A. Gil Colson; Jayme Lawson (“Farewell Amor”) as mayoral candidate Bella Reál; with Andy Serkis (the “Planet of the Apes” films, “Black Panther”) as Alfred; and Colin Farrell (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Dumbo”) as Oswald Cobblepot.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Trini said:

I can't even see the ears?

You're right, they're cropped out.  The way they're implied in this shot though, it looks like they're really far back. And now that I've gotten a better look at it, the collar and leather cowl remind me of Gotham by Gaslight.

Battinson.thumb.png.4f5441f5e7fa5c18f5ff2c6df54ef41e.png

And this, I don't think it's made from a gun (as twitter is speculatin).  It doesn't look right to be that.

Battinson-logo.thumb.png.7cacac9ab9ff5016701fe91f7c117e1b.png

4 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I don't think it's made from a gun (as twitter is speculatin)

The Hyper Heroes guys think it looks like it could be another weapon. I hope it turns out to be both. Have Bruce melt down Joe Chill's gun and use it under his breastplate as another layer of protection (one of my favorite comic details) and have the actual bat across his chest be another weapon.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

the music was very similar to Netflix’s Dare Devil  opening credits.

Complete with red motif, no less.

I didn't think the ears were too far back.  The base of them appears to be placed directly over Edward's, er Robert Patterson's, er Batman's ears.

MAJOR SPOILERS: FULL VIEW OF THE COWL FROM GLASGOW

Spoiler

My take:

Spoiler

WTF have they done? I realize that's a stuntman and not Pattinson, plus it's a bad angle, but it looks like an unholy marriage of Gotham by Gaslight and the 40's movie serials. Hopefully better angles (and less Tick-like jaws) look better.

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

MAJOR SPOILERS: FULL VIEW OF THE COWL FROM GLASGOW

Reveal spoiler

My take:

Reveal spoiler

WTF have they done? I realize that's a stuntman and not Pattinson, plus it's a bad angle, but it looks like an unholy marriage of Gotham by Gaslight and the 40's movie serials. Hopefully better angles (and less Tick-like jaws) look better.

Spoiler

So. Many. Accessories!

• Love 1

I love the new Batmobile.  The Batmobiles in the movies were getting more outlandish and weird looking.  This actually looks like it was based on a real car, like a Dodge Charger or something.  About time that it started coming back the other way.  Makes it more of a throwback to George Barris' 1960s Batmobile, even though they don't look anything alike really.

(edited)

Reeves' quotes on some of the other Batman films, and his own:

His love for these previous iterations of The Dark Knight led to Reeves finding the shape for his own vision for The Batman. “I just felt like well, what I’d love to do is to get a version of this Batman character where he’s not yet fully formed. Where there’s something to do in this context with who that guy would be in this world today, and to ground him in all of these broken ways. Because at the end of the day, this guy is doing all of this to deal with trauma in his past.”

Also at Nerdist: 'Matt Reeves on the Humanity of THE BATMAN',

'Matt Reeves’ TALES FROM THE LOOP and THE BATMAN Aren’t So Different'

Edited by Trini

Reeves is promoting another project, but he's getting Batman questions too; so there are a bunch of interviews with snippets of info. One at Deadline: ‘The Batman’ Director Matt Reeves On DC Pic During COVID-19 Hiatus...

“We’re not officially editing right now” says Reeves, providing an update to Deadline, “We’ve actually shot a quarter of the movie and I have been pouring through dailies, looking at takes, and what’s to come.”

When The Batman flies again before cameras is anybody’s guess, but such is the fate for a number of films taking safety from COVID-19. When production stopped on March 14 for the Robert Pattinson Gotham crusader movie, filming was expected to segue from London to Liverpool. Whether Batman would ultimately need to completely relocate outside of the UK to a safer enclave in the world, Reeves says, “It’s way too early to say. I can’t imagine we wouldn’t finish in London. The situation is fluid.”

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, Trini said:

His love for these previous iterations of The Dark Knight led to Reeves finding the shape for his own vision for The Batman. “I just felt like well, what I’d love to do is to get a version of this Batman character where he’s not yet fully formed. Where there’s something to do in this context with who that guy would be in this world today, and to ground him in all of these broken ways. Because at the end of the day, this guy is doing all of this to deal with trauma in his past.”

Nolan did this. In Batman Begins*. Also his and Bale's Bats was grounded in reality with what was the world in 2005. He's not mining new ground here.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2020 at 1:21 PM, Trini said:

Because at the end of the day, this guy is doing all of this to deal with trauma in his past.”

Yeah, this is definitely not new ground.  I was hoping for a Batman that isn't dealing with any past trauma.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

He dresses up as a bat and beats up criminals. You gotta hope there's some reason, otherwise he's just a rich loon.

There's a reason, sure.  But that doesn't have to mean he's dealing with some kind of past trauma.  I'd rather have a Batman that has overcome his childhood and who actually enjoys dedicating his life to fighting crime.  Not a Batman who belongs in therapy.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Love 1

The logo looked weird on the costume and in the sheer black trademark registration, but in the logo you can see that it's like the bat is coming straight toward you. Very cool looking and the red lettering reminds me of the covers of Batman: Year One.

Quick takes on the trailer:

Hollywood sound designers really need to find new/better effects for punching; or at least moderate the volume? It's actually distracting.

Pattinson definitely has the jawline for the cowl; but the suit seems like it's almost as stiff as the Keaton batsuit. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like he could turn his neck.

Not a fan of that hair either. At least not when he's out and about as billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Catwoman, yay! Surprised they didn't actually show a glimpse of Alfred.

Edited by Trini

My verdict: Wow! If this is just 25% of it, then I can't wait to see the finished product.   

TBH, I was a little apprehensive about Robert Pattinson playing Batman, not because of Twilight- he's done way more and way better since-but because of my hopes that the script will be as great as the cast and the director. However, between the suit, the fight scene & "I'm vengeance," I think it's in good hands. "?0?1" can't come fast enough.

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Pattinson's emo hair just makes me think of Spider-Man 3. 

Just as long as Battinson doesn't do That "dance," I don't care.

😉🤪

Batman is not emo.

LOL with the Riddler as a main villain.  All these characters look silly.  Nice to see Zoe as the Catwoman.

That said it's a good trailer with interesting style and energy.  I like the main theme as well.

Interesting trailer. They had me until the first reveal of Emo Hair, which looks terrible. I like the music and moodiness of the trailer, but am still not sold on Pattinson as Batman outside of his jawline (reviving the Christian Bale voice doesn't help) and it feels like a coin flip: this could either be interesting and good, or a less-good retread of Nolan's films.

I loved the trailer. Don't know how I feel about emo Bruce Wayne but I can see him going through that phase. Lol

I like the Riddler being like a Jigsaw type character. To me it feels more like the Gotham tv show over Nolan's movies. 

Either way I'm here for more Batman. 

• Love 1

I think it looks generic. Which is why people will probably like it, lol. Generic, dark Batman appeals to the broadest audience. I myself always hope for something different, stylistically or tonally or something. My favorite Batman movies remain the Burton ones because they have a gothic carnival style to them. Dark humor, weirdness. No studio would let those movies be made today.

I wish there'd be a Batman movie where he and Catwoman have a crazy sex scene. I'm the weird person who liked all the S&M stuff in Batman Returns, lol (THAT would never get made today!). But really, the focus on their attraction to each other because of their weird kinks was awesome.

• Love 2

He didn't say the iconic "I'm Batman" line. I am out unless I hear spoilers that he eventually says it at some point in the movie. I'm shallow like that.😏

So it's the Crow.

Right? That was quite a pointed reference. Not sure I understand why. Some kind of homage?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu