Type keyword(s) to search

The Batman (2022)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

There's nothing especially hi-tech about the pre-90s Batplane in my view.  As well as the Batmobile and the rest.  Not until the Wayne Enterprises concept began to expand in the 90s when so much was explained away with military contracts and advanced scientific research divisions and so forth.

21 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

There's nothing especially hi-tech about the pre-90s Batplane in my view.  As well as the Batmobile and the rest.  Not until the Wayne Enterprises concept began to expand in the 90s when so much was explained away with military contracts and advanced scientific research divisions and so forth.

I am not so sure about that, at least from the movies the 89 Batmobile was a self driving car with a jet engine. Self driving is just starting to be possible now, and while jet engines have been around for a long time I am not sure how easy it is to get and then maintain a jet. Hell even the 60's Batmobile had a jet engine with an afterburner.

There's nothing especially hi-tech about the pre-90s Batplane in my view.  As well as the Batmobile and the rest. 

In your view, yes.

The Batmobile always was high tech relative to it's era, as was the Batplane. You don't see Daredevil with a plane or car.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

The Batmobile always was high tech relative to it's era, as was the Batplane.

Not really.  It's a souped up car and airplane.  Nothing astoundingly hi-tech.  Especially compared to the 1990s comic book upgrades or the Nolan/Burton stuff.

13 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

You don't see Daredevil with a plane or car.

Only because that's not his gimmick, it's Batman's.  And because Matt Murdock ain't rich.

It's a souped up car and airplane. 

Which is pretty normal for street level vigilantes loool I suppose the Batcave was also just a souped up headquarters...

Only because that's not his gimmick, it's Batman's.  And because Matt Murdock ain't rich.

Yeah, and a high tech one at that.

29 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Which is pretty normal for street level vigilantes loool

Except that the Batman is not a normal street level vigilante.  It's a superhero comic.  He wears a Bat costume, and he's a billionaire.

35 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I suppose the Batcave was also just a souped up headquarters...

Well... yes.  It's just a cave that has been converted into an office and workspace.

Except that the Batman is not a normal street level vigilante.  It's a superhero comic.  He wears a Bat costume, and he's a billionaire.

Yeah, he is a high tech street level vigilante. And has always been one.

Well... yes.  It's just a cave that has been converted into an office and workspace.

With high tech computers and accessories.

• Love 1

Dates for The Batman for the DC in Concert Series have been announced: https://www.dcfilmsinconcert.com/the-batman

TCG Entertainment, a leader in live entertainment properties and touring productions and Warner Bros. Themed Entertainment announce today “DC in Concert,” an all-new global touring film concert series featuring the live symphony orchestra performing, to picture, every note from fan favorite blockbuster films from the DC Universe. From “Batman” (1989) and “Justice League” (2017) to the most recent blockbuster and box office hit, “The Batman” (2022), fans can experience the iconic scores played live as these epic films are projected on larger-than-life screens.   

LOL -- "global".  There are dates in Europe and the USA. Spring 2023.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:52 AM, Hiyo said:

Yeah, he is a high tech street level vigilante. And has always been one.

With high tech computers and accessories.

i'd do this if i won the lottery, just for kicks. well step one i'd donate a huge chunk to the charities i value, THEN turn into a vigilante crime fighter.

The Best Films of 2022
By Owen Gleiberman, Peter Debruge    Dec 8, 2022
https://variety.com/lists/2022-best-films-movies/owen-gleiberman-top-10-of-2022/ 

Owen Gleiberman’s Top 10
3. The Batman
The most sweeping piece of comic book cinema since “The Dark Knight” — and yes, Matt Reeves’ take on the Batman legend owes a lot to Christopher Nolan’s 2008 landmark. But it’s also its own hushed and moody and inky-black thing, with Robert Pattinson, in a supremely tensile performance, playing the Batman like a detective out of a Thomas Harris novel, making his way through a plot that’s canny enough in its labyrinthine design to earn comparison to “Chinatown.” This is the first Batman so scarred he can’t even enjoy being Bruce Wayne. Yet Pattinson makes him a warrior of cracked valor, and Paul Dano’s Riddler is the kind of maniacal dweeb puzzle-maker whose sordid gamesmanship keeps the action several steps ahead of the audience. Zoë Kravitz invests Catwoman with an end-of-her-tether soul that makes her and the Batman tattered desperadoes of cosplay.
Peter Debruge’s Top 10
5. The Batman
Christopher Nolan set the bar for what Batman movies could be, making me skeptical that Warner Bros.’ latest reboot was anything more than a craven cash grab (the way Sony keeps grinding out Spider-Man movies to keep that deal alive). Come to find, writer-director Matt Reeves had a compelling original vision for this film, going back to the character’s Detective Comics roots, while wrenching the trust-no-one nihilism of film noir into the modern age. While Robert Pattinson’s emotionally damaged vigilante distracts himself with petty criminals, Paul Dano’s deranged Riddler takes on corruption at the top. There may never be a moment when citizens are completely happy with their leaders, but “The Batman” seems scarily in tune with our collective discontent, right down to its terrifying, teetering-on-anarchy inauguration climax.

IPA Reveals Nominations for the 27th Satellite™ Awards
December 8, 2022
https://www.pressacademy.com/news/ipa-reveals-nominations-for-the-27th-satellite-awards/
https://www.pressacademy.com/2022-nominees/ 

Visual Effects
Ryan Tudhope, Scott R. Fisher, Seth Hill & Bryan Litson    Top Gun: Maverick
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, Richie Baneham & Dan Barrett    Avatar: The Way of Water
Jay Cooper, Elia Popov, Kevin Martel & Ebrahim Jahromi    Babylon
Abishek Nair, Marko Chulev, Ivan Busquets & Steven Nichols    Good Night Oppy
Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands & Dominic Tuohu    The Batman
 V. Srinivas Mohan    RRR

Edited by tv echo

The Batman got 3 noms for Critics Choice Awards...

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Leads Critics Choice Awards with 14 Nominations
Anne Thompson     December 14, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/2023-critics-choice-awards-film-nominees-full-list-1234792142/ 

The 600-member Critics Choice Association (CCA) revealed the film category nominees for the 28th Annual Critics Choice Awards, which will be held at the Critics Choice Awards gala, broadcast live on The CW from the Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles on Sunday, January 15, 2023 (at 7:00 p.m. ET). As the largest film critic association in North America, the CCAs are often predictive of the Oscars.
BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP

“Babylon”
“The Batman”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Whale”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Avatar: The Way of Water”
“The Batman”
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“RRR”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
BEST SCORE

Alexandre Desplat – “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
Michael Giacchino – “The Batman”
Hildur Guðnadóttir – “Tár”
Hildur Guðnadóttir – “Women Talking”
Justin Hurwitz – “Babylon”
John Williams – “The Fabelmans”

The Batman got 1 SAG Awards nomination...

Jennifer Coolidge, Everything Everywhere All at Once lead 2023 SAG Awards nominations: See the full list
By Joey Nolfi    January 11, 2023 
https://ew.com/awards/sag-awards/2023-sag-awards-nominations-full-list/ 

See the full list of the 2023 SAG Awards nominations below. The awards will stream Sunday, Feb. 26, at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Netflix's YouTube channel.
Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Top Gun: Maverick
The Woman King

Matt Reeves talks 'Cloverfield' Easter eggs, teases 'sit-down' with James Gunn to discuss the future of 'The Batman'
Ethan Alter·   January 12, 2023
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/matt-reeves-cloverfield-the-batman-james-gunn-dc-universe-161648533.html 

Speaking with Yahoo Entertainment ahead of Cloverfield's 15th anniversary on Jan. 18 — the day after an extras-laden 4K Steelbook edition goes on sale — Reeves confirms that he's already had conversations with Gunn and Safran about the future of The Batman, his 2022 franchise-relaunching blockbuster that introduced Robert Pattinson as the younger version of Gotham City's Dark Knight.

"We've talked a few times," Reeves reveals. "I'm supposed to get together with him and Peter sometimes this month. They've been working feverishly on what they're doing, and I've been working hard with my partners on what we're doing — all our shows and stuff. So we're gonna have a sit-down where we talk about everything that's going on and what the arcs of these two things are. I'm excited to hear about what they're doing."
So far, Reeves's announced plans include a second movie for Pattinson's Caped Crusader — possibly starring Barry Keoghan as his clown-ish nemesis, the Joker — and an HBO Max series revolving around Colin Farrell's Gotham crime boss Oswald Cobblepot, aka the Penguin. Those projects have no connection to the rest of the DCEU slate, and part of his impending conversation with Gunn and Safran will involve how they'll run parallel to each other — at least for now. "They have a big plan, and I have this big Bat-verse plan," he notes. "It's just about us really getting to know each other. It's going to be fun."

Edited by tv echo

The Batman got 4 BAFTA Awards nominations...

BAFTA Awards 2023: See the full list of nominees
By Thomas Page     January 19, 2023
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/entertainment/bafta-nominations-2023/index.html

The awards ceremony, which highlights some of the best British and international contributions in film of the year, will take place on February 19 at 7p.m. GMT, with actor Richard E. Grant on hosting duties at London’s Royal Festival Hall.
Cinematography
James Friend, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Greig Fraser, “The Batman”
Mandy Walker, “Elvis”
Roger Deakins, “Empire of Light”
Claudio Miranda, “Top Gun: Maverick”
Production Design
Christian M. Goldbreck, Ernestine Hipper, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Florencia Martin, Anthony Carlino, “Babylon”
James Chinlund, Lee Sandales, “The Batman”
Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy, Bev Dunn, “Elvis”
Curt Enderle, Guy Davis, “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
Makeup and Hair
Heike Merker, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Michael Marino and Zoe Tahir, “The Batman”
Shane Thomas, Louise Coulston, Mark Coulier and Barrie Gower, “Elvis”
Naomi Donne, Barrie Gower, Sharon Martin, “Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical”
Anne Marie Bradley, Judy Chin, Adrien Morot, “The Whale”
Special Visual Effects
Markus Frank, Kamil Jafar, Viktor Müller and Frank Petzoid, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri and Eric Saindon, “Avatar: The Way of Water”
Russell Earl, Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy, “The Batman”
Benjamin Brewer, Ethan Feldbau, Jonathan Kombrinck and Zak Stoltz, “Everything Everywhere All At Once”
Seth Hill, Scott R. Fisher, Bryan Litson and Ryan Tudhope, “Top Gun: Maverick”

The Batman got 3 Oscar nominations...

Oscar Nominations 2023: Full List of Nominees Led by Everything Everywhere All at Once
BY KATEY RICH AND REBECCA FORD     JANUARY 24, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/01/oscar-nominations-2023-list-awards-insider 

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Batman
Elvis
The Whale

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Batman

BEST SOUND
The Batman
Elvis

Edited by tv echo

The Batman received six nominations for Critics Choice Super Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards honoring Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action Movies and Series
February 22, 2023
https://www.criticschoice.com/2023/02/22/nominations-announced-for-the-3rd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards-honoring-superhero-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-and-action-movies-and-series/ 

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2023) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed via a special announcement on Thursday, March 16.
BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE*
The Batman
DC League of Super-Pets
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Thor: Love and Thunder

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE*
Benedict Cumberbatch – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Paul Dano – The Batman
Colin Farrell – The Batman
Tenoch Huerta – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Robert Pattinson – The Batman

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE*
Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Zoë Kravitz – The Batman
Elizabeth Olsen – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Natalie Portman – Thor: Love and Thunder
Letitia Wright – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
BEST VILLAIN IN A MOVIE 
Paul Dano – The Batman
Mia Goth – Pearl
Tenoch Huerta – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Joey King – Bullet Train
Elizabeth Olsen – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Mark Rylance – Bones and All

Edited by tv echo

So, I watched this. Very boring. The soundtrack was good but I overall failed to see what the point of it all was. And yes, way too long.

I kept thinking now that's a Robert Pattinson vampire I can get on board with.

• Like 1