Type keyword(s) to search

The Batman (2022)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

In the animated series his iconic line is "I am vengeance, I am the night, I am Batman"

So I'm hoping for that line by the end of the movie. 

I want to see "I am the terror that flaps in the night!"

32 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Looks like Batman was dropped into the Se7en universe.

I'm told this is Year Two Batman, so Bruce is in his early 20's.

Like the trailer music, sounds like Nirvana.

Still not sold on Pattinson, but that beat down made me do a double take.

Yes, it's Nirvan's Something in the Way.

• Love 2

Back in the Nolan days, I always said I wanted a Riddler story done with a Se7en aesthetic.  But at the same time, I’m currently a bit burned out on gritty Batman.  I’ll have to see where things are at next year- if we do actually get some detective stuff I think I’ll be happy- if it’s just more pulping goons then maybe not?

I don't understand how this could happen three days into filming unless they did not make everyone quarantine for two weeks ahead of time. Are they not making everyone stay in a "bubble" to resume filming? Doesn't sound like it, in which case this shit is going to happen. Totally irresponsible.

1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I don't understand how this could happen three days into filming unless they did not make everyone quarantine for two weeks ahead of time. Are they not making everyone stay in a "bubble" to resume filming? Doesn't sound like it, in which case this shit is going to happen. Totally irresponsible.

There are studies that suggest the COVID incubation period can be longer than 14 days. A 2 week quarantine should be enough in most cases but there’s always a risk that someone could still developed symptoms. 

Also The Batman was filming in the UK so Patton wouldn’t need to quarantine because he lives in the UK. They may have relied on testing which isn’t all that reliable in the earlier stages of the disease.  

9 hours ago, Trini said:

Some set pics are out, if anyone is interested: http://www.justjared.com/2020/10/12/colin-farrell-looks-unrecognizable-as-the-penguin-on-batman-set-with-robert-pattinson-zoe-kravitz/

I don't understand hiring Colin Farrell and then making him look like a completely different human. But good job on this Oscar bid by the makeup department.

Makeup, prosthetics, and a fat suit does wonders.

Edited by Robert Lynch

I've been wanting a better version of the Riddler ever since Jim Carrey played him.  This doesn't appear to be it unfortunately, but I'll give it a chance. 

By the way, I like Jim Carrey, I just didn't care for his Riddler.

It had the opposite effect on me.  I'm attempting an open mind, but while I do like my Batman brooding, I was really hoping for one who didn't decide to talk like he'd gargled with gravel.

That was a good trailer, but very silly.

It looks like they are going for a more fantastical aesthetic and tone.

Most interested in Zoë.  Not a fan of a brooding Batman or emo Wayne.

Looks like some kind of Riddler/Hush mashup maybe?

I really could have done without Alfred in this movie.

I still dig the score.

7 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

Looks like some kind of Riddler/Hush mashup maybe?

Funny you say that since

Spoiler

the animated adaptation of Hush changed it so Riddler was the Big Bad all along. 

Tom King pointed out that a couple of the images from the trailer reminded him of Clay Mann's art and that makes me happy. My favorite Bat artist is Jim Lee but Clay's work on Batman/Catwoman has been stunning so I'm thrilled he's getting a shout out.

• Love 1

My verdict: great! The look, the acting, the action, the costumes, the score and the direction are all on point. This might be the movie that I'll risk going back to the theater for. 

Between Marvel and DC, it looks like Jeffrey Wright and Andy Serkis are making big money moves lately and I'm here for it! 🤑

• Love 1

I was skeptical that they could do a new take on Batman, but this does look different. (At least from previous live-action versions.) And it looks like Selina and BatCat might actually have some substance? I'm in!

This is very much a 21st century Batman film, by the looks of it. That is to say, the trailer seems to reflect the world of the post-2000 comic books, whereas the Nolan films were firmly rooted in the 20th century.

Also this trailer gives off a very "youthful" vibe, but I guess that was the energy that they were aiming for with the film.  Probably hoping that adolescents will respond well to it.

Edited by Tenshinhan

I like the more raw take on Batman. He's new to this and is just angry at this point in his life. I'm interested to see where it goes. I just hope it's not just a lot of cool visuals that DC movies seem to rely on over story and character development. 

I'll give Robert Pattison a chance to see what he does with the character. 

• Love 2

Short and longer synopses:

https://batman-news.com/2021/11/04/the-batman-synopsis/

https://batman-news.com/2021/11/24/the-batman-synopsis-2/

" THE BATMAN is an edgy, action-packed thriller that depicts Batman in his early years, struggling to balance rage with righteousness as he investigates a disturbing mystery that has terrorized Gotham. Robert Pattinson delivers a raw, intense portrayal of Batman as a disillusioned, desperate vigilante awakened by the realization that the anger consuming him makes him no better than the ruthless serial killer he’s hunting. "

It’s not just a call… It’s a warning.

From Warner Bros. Pictures comes Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” starring Robert Pattinson in the dual role of Gotham City’s vigilante detective and his alter ego, reclusive billionaire Bruce Wayne. Two years of stalking the streets as the Batman (Robert Pattinson), striking fear into the hearts of criminals, has led Bruce Wayne deep into the shadows of Gotham City. With only a few trusted allies—Alfred Pennyworth (Andy Serkis), Lt. James Gordon (Jeffrey Wright)—amongst the city’s corrupt network of officials and high-profile figures, the lone vigilante has established himself as the sole embodiment of vengeance amongst his fellow citizens.

When a killer targets Gotham’s elite with a series of sadistic machinations, a trail of cryptic clues sends the World’s Greatest Detective on an investigation into the underworld, where he encounters such characters as Selina Kyle/aka Catwoman (Zoë Kravitz), Oswald Cobblepot/aka the Penguin (Colin Farrell), Carmine Falcone (John Turturro), and Edward Nashton/aka the Riddler (Paul Dano). As the evidence begins to lead closer to home and the scale of the perpetrator’s plans becomes clear, Batman must forge new relationships, unmask the culprit, and bring justice to the abuse of power and corruption that has long plagued Gotham City.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Short and longer synopses:

https://batman-news.com/2021/11/04/the-batman-synopsis/

https://batman-news.com/2021/11/24/the-batman-synopsis-2/

" THE BATMAN is an edgy, action-packed thriller that depicts Batman in his early years, struggling to balance rage with righteousness as he investigates a disturbing mystery that has terrorized Gotham. Robert Pattinson delivers a raw, intense portrayal of Batman as a disillusioned, desperate vigilante awakened by the realization that the anger consuming him makes him no better than the ruthless serial killer he’s hunting. "

image.gif.4e4d62097a9a3c567e4990eee2f9423c.gif

And this is different from Batman Begins how?🙄🙄🙄

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And this is different from Batman Begins how?🙄🙄🙄

Batman Begins was an origin story, this is not.  Begins was about an angry and disillusioned Bruce Wayne overcoming his issues to become the Batman.  This film appears to be about an angry and disillusioned Batman with issues.  Also, this is supposed to be "edgy".  Begins was not.

• Love 1

I think comparing to Batman Begins is going to happen any time a new Batman franchise is booted. Having said that, as was said above, this isn't an origin story (it's more of Year Two), and I think the real meat of it is that I don't anticipate (based admittedly on nothing but hope) that Matt Reeves intends to take his Batman into any direction remotely resembling where Nolan went, and instead he'll stick to more of a regular superhero franchise plan going forward.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:52 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

The trailer makes it seem like the villains will be more interesting than Batman.  Which, I guess is a return to the 90s films?

It's ALL the films.   Almost every producer, from Burton to Nolan to Reeves, has apparently been conditioned by the 1966 TV series to believe that Batman isn't really about Batman but over-the-top villains and guest stars (Snyder being the exception).   It's the very reason I despise the Burton films.  Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny DeVito, , with later Schumacher films featuring Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Uma Thurman ... give me a @$%$* break.  And the media buzz is always about the villains in the run-up to the film, who's playing them, how they look in the costume, etc.   I would gladly welcome talented newcomers in all the roles, including Batman, if it allowed me to believe in them as the characters (I still see Heath Ledger, not the Joker).   Batman movies have always seemed like the cinematic version of The Love Boat where it's all about the celebrity guests; Batman is just Captain Stubing.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, Tenshinhan said:

There's a reason, sure.  But that doesn't have to mean he's dealing with some kind of past trauma.  I'd rather have a Batman that has overcome his childhood and who actually enjoys dedicating his life to fighting crime.  Not a Batman who belongs in therapy.

I totally agree.   I got hooked on Batman comics in the early 1970s, the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil/Jim Aparo era.   Batman knew exactly who he was and what his crusade was about.   He was grimly determined, but not so much that it prevented him from laughing on occasion.   His greatest powers were his detective skills, martial arts, his gymnastic/acrobatic prowess, and his fearlessness.   None of this psychodrama b.s. that keeps being regurgitated over the last 30 years or so.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only thing I could make out was the breastplate. And the music was very similar to Netflix’s Dare Devil  opening credits.

It's funny, when I watched my first episode of Daredevil and saw the red/black intro with the haunting music, I thought, "This is exactly the kind of treatment Batman should have gotten."