Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, tres bien said:

Not too long ago I posted that I thought Dr Lume is the most putrid spokesperson on TV. Body shaming women is one hell of way to sell a product.

I see that she's also become the spokesperson for her men's line Mando. Interesting 

It's more than just body-shaming woman for their naturally occurring odors which is why they created a line for men. Lume and all other whole body deodorants are a part of the clean beauty craze that has demonized certain ingredients based on dubious research. "Chemicals" are bad now because they may cause cancer or Alzheimer's or some other disease. It's fearmongering from companies who have found that less effective products or products without preservatives that turn much more quickly increase revenue over effective products designed to last. One of those scary chemicals is aluminum which is one of the few maybe the only chemical that is a proven antiperspirant and therefore effective in odor control. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 7

Can't say if  this is Dr Lume's objective. If it is than she should sell her products as such. 

Not you smell like a human woman and we've got a cure for that 

• Like 6

I've noticed a glut of commercials for whole body deodorants from a lot of different companies. Secret, Dove, Native, etc... and they're geared at men and women. They're all obnoxious. My suspicion is that COVID messed with a lot of people's sense of smell and has folks paranoid. These companies are capitalizing on that.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I've noticed a glut of commercials for whole body deodorants from a lot of different companies. Secret, Dove, Native, etc... and they're geared at men and women. They're all obnoxious. My suspicion is that COVID messed with a lot of people's sense of smell and has folks paranoid. These companies are capitalizing on that.

There a couple of other factors that play into this. First, we dress differently than even 10 years ago. Clothing quality has gone down hill with many people wearing garments made from synthetic fibers. These synthetic fabrics do not breath like cotton, linen, or silk and they hold odors. Then, you have the rise of front loading washing machines that a lot of people use incorrectly. Clothes are not getting properly cleaned, and people are overcompensating by using more scented products in each load. But, the underlying funk is still there just masked behind fabric softeners and scent beads. Add to that fabric softener and scent beads leave a film on clothing that will over time trap in odors. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Then, you have the rise of front loading washing machines that a lot of people use incorrectly.

How's that? (Honestly curious, as I have a front load)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

How's that? (Honestly curious, as I have a front load)

From what I have read, it's people shoving too much into the drum as a single load, using way too much detergent, selecting the wrong cycle, and not cleaning the washer regularly. 

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

From what I have read, it's people shoving too much into the drum as a single load, using way too much detergent, selecting the wrong cycle, and not cleaning the washer regularly. 

So, people no longer read the manuals that come with their machines? We got a new top-load machine, and all that info is in the manual, some built into the machine.

Whole body deodorant seems to be a lot of hype to sell products. 

• Like 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

In addition to being a slimy huckster, is it me or is she also creepy? I feel like I need a shower after watching just a minute of her!

I've alway used soap but now it's I'm using it in protest. 

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I feel so heard -- so many people expressed hatred for the ad where a dad asks AI to create a fan letter his daughter can send to the athlete she admires, Google has pulled it from its rotation of Olympic ads.

That's good I hate that commercial. Why can't his daughter write the fan letter. Or why can't he write one with her?

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 7
(edited)
21 hours ago, marceline said:

I also think Covid messed with people's perceptions about cleanliness and their sense of smell is tied to that. If they smell good, they feel "cleaner" than if they don't have any scent. The stronger the scent, the "cleaner" they feel, so these companies are trying to appeal to that desire to feel and smell clean. It's not just body deodorants, it's also those laundry scent products like "Downy Unstoppables".

20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There a couple of other factors that play into this. First, we dress differently than even 10 years ago. Clothing quality has gone down hill with many people wearing garments made from synthetic fibers. These synthetic fabrics do not breath like cotton, linen, or silk and they hold odors. Then, you have the rise of front loading washing machines that a lot of people use incorrectly. Clothes are not getting properly cleaned, and people are overcompensating by using more scented products in each load. But, the underlying funk is still there just masked behind fabric softeners and scent beads. Add to that fabric softener and scent beads leave a film on clothing that will over time trap in odors. 

I hear you about clothing, that's been going on for 40 years now. We now have terms like "vegan leather". Sometimes they just call it leather, meanwhile it's made of vinyl. It's NOT leather, so don't call it that! Talk about smell, and they're not as comfortable. Meanwhile many men's dress shoes are still made of leather. 40 years ago only discount stores sold vinyl shoes and we thought they were cheap and uncomfortable. Same for polyester clothing. Now they're the norm.

Speaking of funk, there are products out there that actually remove the odor from funky clothing, not just mask it and leave a film. My favorite is "Funk Away".

Also, all those scents on top of scents are not necessarily healthy to breathe in. It's probably healthier not to load up on chemical scents. I'm sensitive to many of those scents so I prefer to use unscented detergent.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

In my area, 2 of the local channels have taken to running infomercials in the middle of their early morning weekend news shows.  The ABC affiliate features "Secret Sales", hosted by poor rapidly-aging Sam Champion (who used to be a respectable weatherman on the network's national news show) & a squealing bouncy blonde woman whose hair cascades to her waist, both giggling & gasping while hawking random merchandise (cosmetics, vitamins, kitchen gadgets, etc) for 3 minutes or more.  If I switch to the CBS affiliate, they're doing it too (albeit with different hosts, which doesn't help).  The other networks are at least honest enough to schedule "paid programming" at that time of day, so we can tell to avoid them.  It's all a bit much at 5:00 a.m.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

In my area, 2 of the local channels have taken to running infomercials in the middle of their early morning weekend news shows.  The ABC affiliate features "Secret Sales", hosted by poor rapidly-aging Sam Champion (who used to be a respectable weatherman on the network's national news show) & a squealing bouncy blonde woman whose hair cascades to her waist, both giggling & gasping while hawking random merchandise (cosmetics, vitamins, kitchen gadgets, etc) for 3 minutes or more.  If I switch to the CBS affiliate, they're doing it too (albeit with different hosts, which doesn't help).  The other networks are at least honest enough to schedule "paid programming" at that time of day, so we can tell to avoid them.  It's all a bit much at 5:00 a.m.

Oh gawd, I remember Sam Champion from his NY days on ABC/7 a million years ago. I took a look at his recent photos and I see what you mean. I wouldn't recognize him. I just read that he went from GMA to managing editor of the Weather Channel several years ago. I wonder if he's still doing that. I guess being an infomercial huckster helps pay the bills.  Bleah.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/31/2024 at 2:46 PM, marceline said:

I've said this about the Geico "Don't Become Your Parents" ads but I really feel like so many of the people writing these ads really don't understand normal human relationships.

Y'know, those Dr. Rick "Becoming Your Parents" ads are a super-fail.  Mainly because they're for Progressive, not GEICO.  If potential customers mis-identify the product, you, as an advertiser, have failed miserably.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Y'know, those Dr. Rick "Becoming Your Parents" ads are a super-fail.  Mainly because they're for Progressive, not GEICO.  If potential customers mis-identify the product, you, as an advertiser, have failed miserably.

I always confuse GEICO and Progressive commercials.

• LOL 5
On 8/3/2024 at 6:45 AM, fairffaxx said:

In my area, 2 of the local channels have taken to running infomercials in the middle of their early morning weekend news shows. 

Those must be a pretty common source of ad income for local news, as I’ve seen a proliferation of that on just about all our local news broadcasts.  Short-form infomercials, if you will, usually under some branding of “deals and steals” or “steals,” or some such.

23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Good point; when the key takeaway of the ad is something other than the product, it definitely feels like a fail.  Reminiscent, for me at least, of the commercials about how to pronounce Guy Fieri’s name.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

Good point; when the key takeaway of the ad is something other than the product, it definitely feels like a fail.  Reminiscent, for me at least, of the commercials about how to pronounce Guy Fieri’s name.

What is there to know about pronouncing his name? I would have thought asshole was easy to pronounce.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 14
6 minutes ago, Shrek said:

What is there to know about pronouncing his name? I would have thought asshole was easy to pronounce.

Guy insists his name be pronounced Fieti, replacing the r with a t. Some nonsense about how it's the correct Italian pronunciation. So obnoxious, but he's laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 2
On 8/4/2024 at 12:10 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

LOL! I didn't even realize I did that.

• Like 3
On 8/1/2024 at 6:49 AM, Haleth said:

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with what the people are doing in the BBQ ad (except maybe the woman taking away glasses from people who haven't finished their drinks).  So what if someone wants to wear a silly apron?  I do laugh at the one about old people talking about the weather.  My husband recently bought a home weather station and is now informed enough to rival Jim Cantore.  Just ask him.

That would've been my dad.  He was all about the Weather Channel.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see how CarShield commercials change. The FTC has fined the parent company 10 million dollars for fraud and false advertising.

NRRM, LLC, which does business as CarShield, along with American Auto Shield, LLC (AAS), the administrator of its vehicle service contracts (VSCs), will pay $10 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that its advertisements and telemarketing for VSC are deceptive and misleading, and that many purchasers found that many repairs were not “covered,” despite making payments of up to $120 per month. The FTC also alleges CarShield’s celebrity and consumer endorsers made false statements in its ads.

The stipulated order settling the Commission’s complaint also bars CarShield and AAS from making deceptive and misleading statements in the future and requires them to ensure their endorsers’ testimonials are truthful, accurate, and not deceptive.

“For many consumers, a personal vehicle is one of their most valuable assets and a vital lifeline for getting to work, taking their kids to school, and obtaining medical care. Instead of delivering the ‘peace of mind’ promised by its advertisements, CarShield left many consumers with a financial headache,” said Samuel Levine, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Worse still, CarShield used trusted personalities to deliver its empty promises. The FTC will hold advertisers accountable for using false or deceptive claims to exploit consumers’ financial anxieties.”

FTC statement on Car Shield

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 7

Yeah, CarShield falls into that category of (really all insurance) that if you can self-insure, you should, unless the worst case would wipe you out. I know for some people that can be the case, but I imagine CarShield costs a big premium for that "service." I love when I buy some small electronics like a clock radio that costs $20, and I get offered an extended warranty. Yeah, right.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't think I've seen a CarShield commercial since the FTC issued the fine.

when was that? Because I've seen one in the last week or so. The stupid one where they're doing an "autopsy" of the car.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, dleighg said:

when was that? Because I've seen one in the last week or so. The stupid one where they're doing an "autopsy" of the car.

The FTC issued the fine July 31.

• Useful 3

I don't think I've seen any CarShield commercials lately, now that you mention it.

12 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, CarShield falls into that category of (really all insurance) that if you can self-insure, you should, unless the worst case would wipe you out. I know for some people that can be the case, but I imagine CarShield costs a big premium for that "service." I love when I buy some small electronics like a clock radio that costs $20, and I get offered an extended warranty. Yeah, right.

20240807CarWarrenty.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I have towing insurance, which solves the immediate problem. And not having paid for the extended warranty means I can afford the fix.

• Like 4

Laura Geller selling whatever it is she sells.  It used to be one that I didn't immediately mute, but now she's become as in your face shouty as the Lume abomination woman.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Laura Geller selling whatever it is she sells.  It used to be one that I didn't immediately mute, but now she's become as in your face shouty as the Lume abomination woman.

You were correct the first time with "abomination."

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I admit to being curious about the makeup because I'd love to find something that doesn't sit in the wrinkles, but she is not a good spokesperson even if it is her company.

• Like 3

She's one of the first to have a makeup line for mature complexions. However, she sold the company six years ago, and is only the spokesperson now.  

From Wikipedia: In addition to her work as a make-up designer for individual clients, she also created an eponymous cosmetics line sold on QVC. Geller founded the company in 1997. She appears on QVC in North America and Europe in order to sell the line during television segments dedicated to her brand.[7] Her product lines are generally made for middle aged women. She first sold her company to Glanasol, and the company later sold to AS Beauty in 2019, though has remained working with the company. In 2023 the company was noted as the fastest growing digital beauty and cosmetics brand in the US by Business Insider.

I wish she would tone down her commercial, but so many commercials, and TV shows seem to be yelling the entire time.    I was surprised to find out Sephoria and Ulta have her makeup line available.    

• Useful 2
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I admit to being curious about the makeup because I'd love to find something that doesn't sit in the wrinkles, but she is not a good spokesperson even if it is her company.

I use her foundation and love it.  I'm one that dislikes gloppy liquid foundation on my skin so the baked powder is wonderful.  It's light so it feels like nothing but it does cover flaws.  I haven't tried any of her other products though.

• Useful 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I use her foundation and love it.  I'm one that dislikes gloppy liquid foundation on my skin so the baked powder is wonderful.  It's light so it feels like nothing but it does cover flaws.  I haven't tried any of her other products though.

Thanks, I might have to check it out.

• Like 1

Anyone seen the new ad for Northern Tissue TP with three women performers singing (and carrying on) to the tune of . .. ' We QUILT This City'?

Yep, this jingle sounds exactly like Starship's 'We Built This City' (1985) self-aggrandizing tune that received a large number of scathing reviews at the time (including from the the then-former but later on-again band member Paul Kantner)!

Maybe the pocket change for the rights will get Grace Slick to find a permanent gallery for her artwork but otherwise it's a shilly deal of a song that most Starship and Jefferson Airplane fans would like to consider best forgotten.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Anyone seen the new ad for Northern Tissue TP with three women performers singing (and carrying on) to the tune of . .. ' We QUILT This City'?

Yep, this jingle sounds exactly like Starship's 'We Built This City' (1985) self-aggrandizing tune that received a large number of scathing reviews at the time (including from the the then-former but later on-again band member Paul Kantner)!

Maybe the pocket change for the rights will get Grace Slick to find a permanent gallery for her artwork but otherwise it's a shilly deal of a song that most Starship and Jefferson Airplane fans would like to consider best forgotten.

Meh. I've seen it. I didn't think anything of it one way or the other. To me, it's another of many commercials using a tune I recognize. I couldn't tell you who the original artist(s) was/were.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

Maybe the pocket change for the rights will get Grace Slick

She didn't write it, so if they're not using her vocals (which is what it sounds like from your description, but I haven't seen it), she doesn't get anything for its use here.

• Like 1
(edited)

I want to strangle the guy who seems so proud of his cat for refusing to eat anything she doesn't like, & who announces in a fawning tone of voice that "It's Tastefuls by Blue Buffalo for this little girl!".  I feel sure that his cat holds him in as much contempt as I do.

Edited by fairffaxx
typo
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 11
(edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 9:38 PM, Ancaster said:

I don't know if I should post here or in the grammar thread - it annoys me because it's grammatically incorrect.

Some weight loss pill or system is apparently for: "People who suffer from obesity or overweight."

You don't "suffer from overweight", you are overweight. 

It can sound odd, but “overweight” is a noun as well as an adjective (it’s the name of a condition). It’s common usage in medical language. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
On 8/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, Palimelon said:

Just as stupid as terms like "vegan chicken".

What should it be called? (I just looked in the freezer out of curiosity; nothing that I have is ”officially” labeled as such.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

My daughter likes those things but they are typically labeled something like "chick'n" not chicken.

OH MY GOD, correct! It's so weird, this apostrophe business. I mean, some of it is so good that I wonder if they're tricking me, but WTF is that naming convention?! I think there's one called "Be'f."

How about "Stop trying to kid yourself; it's not chicken."

I don't think that can work, because we don't want it to be chicken. Like I mentioned, I thought they were kidding me the other way around. I love it when I just have the nagging craving for a fast-food spicy chicken sandwich. (In fact, I'm having a garbage last few days. Maybe I will make that so I can eat my feelings!)

I have a vegan daughter and I say vegan chicken,etc just because it seems easier for lazy me 

I sometimes say faux chicken if I'm feelin' fancy-like. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5