Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I just feel so sorry for the husband with the wife who got the Serta perfect sleeper mattress.   He's had to allow himself to become a medical test subject just to pay the bills because his wife is too comfortable to get out of bed and help out.    Poor man.   

Especially when the dude is standing there changing colors like a frigging lava lamp.

I hate the commercial I've seen a few times recently where this Mom is like "what does everybody want for dinner" to her 2 kids and husband. The kids want Hot Pockets and Chef Boyardee, and hubby wants some sort of Hamburger Helper-type thing. So the point of the commercial is that Mom can just whip up all 3 of these meals because *they are just SO fast, gosh*

Beyond my irritation at the concept of Hot Pockets and Chef Boyardee being a good "go-to" for meal time, what infuriates me more is that her dolt of a husband just sits there expecting his wife to whip up 3 separate meals for everyone. God forbid she make one hearty meal that all four of them can enjoy together! NO! She must make 3 separate meals for each of her *special snowflake* family members. And the kids just get to sit at the table hollering out their latest dinner-related whims while Mom caters to them with a never-ending supply of Chef Boyardee cans@!

• Love 9

Crap, New!Wendy is back. This time she's eating burgers with a couple of friends and this other guy, and the second woman says about the guy Wendy is with, "He looks so.....handsome." Wendy says, "I told him we were having Gouda chicken," or some other nonsense. The camera moves to focus on the guy, and he's wearing this vaguely fug suit, and he looks up from stuffing his piehole and says, in this unnecessarily smug tone, "It's a rental."

So firstly, why on earth would you rent a suit to go eat burgers? Smoked Gouda on chicken doesn't actually sound that bad, but what makes it so good that you need to dress up? Also, why does he sound so smug? The suit was kind of ugly, so unless his uncle owns a formal wear shop and gave him a discount when he rented the thing, I don't see why he sounds so proud of it. It's just annoying. And stupid. And annoying some more.

Is that the one in which he seems to be having a stroke b/c he starts to explatorate words and phrases?

Is that the one in which he seems to be having a stroke b/c he starts to explatorate words and phrases?

You might be thinking of the one where they get to Wendy's parents house and she says their having gouda, so he freaks out and says something about not knowing it was THAT kind of dinner and grabs the flowers next to the door to give to her mom. Then her mom is like "these are...mine." It's real stupid. 

Firstly, I had to look up 'explatorate' because it sounded like 'expectorate'. Secondly, wovenloaf is correct, the commercial where Wendy's dumbass date is spazzing is the one where he takes the flowers out of the vase in the hall and says, "You didn't tell me this was a dinner dinner."

That McDonalds Eco Nom Nom Nom commercial is annoying as hell. If food makes me talk and sound like that, no thank you. I'm sick of commercials trying to create catchy words or phrases that will never ever become part of the English language. That's the problem with advertising today, they want to create words that just doesn't exist in hopes that it will catch on.

The use of the word "nom" drives me crazy.  The douchebag guys are bad enough, but something about the middle-aged blond woman taking a bite, then looking around as she says "nom" makes me extra stabby.  I was looking up recipes on line today.  One included pictures, the last of which was entitled "noming".  Not making that recipe.  It's as bad as kids on my lawn!

The Wendy's "dinner dinner" ad is beyond stupid.  Her family better be paid in Wendy's food or something.  Who invites someone for dinner and breaks out the Wendy's crap burgers?  

• Love 5

Hi everyone, newbie here. Thought I would make my first post here since googling "creepy eharmony commercials" is what lead me to this site. :)

I love all the comments, I've read through maybe 13 pages and it's great to see my opinions shared by so many.

I find myself cringing whenever the new Acura commercial with the Sex Pistols or whoever it is comes on. Mosh pit, anyone? 

• Love 4

Who doesn't know that aspirin helps with pain? The one where the guys needs something for his back and the lady suggests Bayer. He says no he needs something for pain. But aspirin regardless of brand doesn't go only to your neck. That one is annoying.

• Love 1

Ethalfrida, that aspirin commercial drives me BONKERS!  Not only does he gesture toward his chest to indicate heart attack (AND speak like he's talking to a slow four year old) he says "It's my BAAACK" while pointing his ASS at her!  AUGHH!!  I cannot express my level of HATE at this ad!  Who doesn't know aspirin relieves pain?

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if market research indicated Bayer had done such a good job of promoting its aspirin as a means of reducing one's heart attack risk that many consumers today thought of it only in that sense and largely forgot about it when considering pain relievers.

But, yes, the commercial is awful for the way that idiotic passenger speaks to the flight attendant as if she's wholly unfamiliar with the English language.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if market research indicated Bayer had done such a good job of promoting its aspirin as a means of reducing one's heart attack risk that many consumers today thought of it only in that sense and largely forgot about it when considering pain relievers.

But, yes, the commercial is awful for the way that idiotic passenger speaks to the flight attendant as if she's wholly unfamiliar with the English language.

Exactly.  The racism rampant in the ad is disgusting.

• Love 1

Isn't English the official language of air travel?("Official" probably isn't the proper word, but hopefully y'all know what I mean.)

I do.  I take aspirin for pain.  I take it for headache and inflammation.  I never take ibuprofen and I only take tylenol if it is mixed with a narcotic.

Aspirin works great for me.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3

Aspirin is less effective for me than for some people when it comes to pain, but I find that it also helps somewhat with itching and allergies.

Ethalfrida, that aspirin commercial drives me BONKERS!  Not only does he gesture toward his chest to indicate heart attack (AND speak like he's talking to a slow four year old) he says "It's my BAAACK" while pointing his ASS at her!  AUGHH!!

Maybe he thinks it's supposed to be used as a suppository because it starts with "ass."

• Love 3

For no reason, this discussion made me think of the commercial for Aspercreme. There's a disclaimer as the end that says something like, "Product does not contain aspirin." So...maybe don't name it something that sounds like aspirin?

Yes, I did look it up, and it contains a salicylate, one of which is also in aspirin, and salicylic acid (often used as acne treatment). So, they could've called it Salicreme.

This post went off the rails.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I take aspirin for pain.  I take it for headache and inflammation.  I never take ibuprofen and I only take tylenol if it is mixed with a narcotic.

Aspirin works great for me.

Aspirin is an ingredient in the only thing that works for my headaches: Excedrin. Tylenol by itself does nothing, but add aspirin and caffeine and bingo! Ibuprofen does nothing for my headaches, but is wonderful for aches and pains of the achy joints type. Excedrin does nothing for my achy joints. :/

• Love 1

I think part of that guy's problem with aspirin is we've been shown, for decades, how pain relievers target the pain.  Duh.  When that stuff dissolves in my stomach, it *knows* that today I have wrist pain, so go to the wrist, even though yesterday's pain was a headache?  no. No. NO.  It's coursing through your entire body, relieving pain you didn't even know you had.  And why do people keep talking about baby aspirin?  You're not supposed to give aspirin to babies.

That guy would be Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols. It is weird to me that they would his version of that song. It wasn't made to be taken seriously. And definitely not for a car commercial.

It's used to distract the target demographic from the fact that they are aging.  Clearly, the use of music by the hardest core of the original punk rockers still means your a rebel (despite the job, mortgage, second marriage, 2.x children, etc...).

The kids want Hot Pockets and Chef Boyardee, and hubby wants some sort of Hamburger Helper-type thing. So the point of the commercial is that Mom can just whip up all 3 of these meals because *they are just SO fast, gosh*

And she is an awesome parent because she's feeding her family a home cooked (well, heated) meal instead of going to a drive through.  I am sure they are so much a head of the nutritional game by eating these high sodium, high fat, high calorie meals than going to Subway.

And she is an awesome parent because she's feeding her family a home cooked (well, heated) meal instead of going to a drive through.  I am sure they are so much a head of the nutritional game by eating these high sodium, high fat, high calorie meals than going to Subway.

I'm planning on feeding my children pancakes for dinner. I must be mother of the year.

• Love 5

I hate the commercial I've seen a few times recently where this Mom is like "what does everybody want for dinner" to her 2 kids and husband. The kids want Hot Pockets and Chef Boyardee, and hubby wants some sort of Hamburger Helper-type thing. So the point of the commercial is that Mom can just whip up all 3 of these meals because *they are just SO fast, gosh*

Beyond my irritation at the concept of Hot Pockets and Chef Boyardee being a good "go-to" for meal time, what infuriates me more is that her dolt of a husband just sits there expecting his wife to whip up 3 separate meals for everyone. God forbid she make one hearty meal that all four of them can enjoy together! NO! She must make 3 separate meals for each of her *special snowflake* family members. And the kids just get to sit at the table hollering out their latest dinner-related whims while Mom caters to them with a never-ending supply of Chef Boyardee cans@!

That commercial is the worst, because a) I think asking kids what they want for dinner makes for 35 year old adults who only eat Raviolis out of a can and b) all of those options are unhealthy and presented as being better.

I hate hate hate this LG commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3Z4bYZdto

Between the way the woman talks to how she hides behind the plate...  GAH!

Why is she hiding it from her husband, maybe he likes her moustache tickling him when she kisses him.  He probably already knows about it.  Don't shave it girl, rock that 'stache!  And by the way, I've never been that excited over a clean dish, and why do people in dishwasher commercials only use white or see through dishes?

• Love 2

That commercial sounds awful.  I can remember my mom asking my dad and me, "What do you guys want for dinner?"  But it didn't mean "Each of you pick any meal under the sun and I'll make both of them."  (As she liked to remind me when I didn't like what we were having for dinner, she wasn't running a restaurant.)  It meant she hadn't planned anything specific yet and wanted general suggestions to spark an idea -- our answers were along the lines of "something with chicken" (actually, we'd say "chicken à la some way," because we're dorks) or "pasta of some sort."  And then we'd wind up with one or the other.    

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
Why is she hiding it from her husband, maybe he likes her moustache tickling him when she kisses him.  He probably already knows about it.  Don't shave it girl, rock that 'stache!  And by the way, I've never been that excited over a clean dish, and why do people in dishwasher commercials only use white or see through dishes?

They probably use white dishes for the same reason all women in commercials for feminine protection products wear white pants. While they're doing cartwheels. Also, 'girl, rock that 'stache!' is making me laugh uncontrollably.

• Love 3

The use of the word "nom" drives me crazy.  The douchebag guys are bad enough, but something about the middle-aged blond woman taking a bite, then looking around as she says "nom" makes me extra stabby.

Yeah, me too. When I was a kid, food was "nummy." Not that "num num" is better than "nom nom," but at least it makes more sense. I don't get where "nom" came from.

• Love 1

Saw the Hooters ad about a thousand times too many while catching the Simpsons marathon.  While I certainly understand that there are many people who enjoy going to Hooters and who may even feel it makes their enjoyment of "the game" better, I absolutely do not believe that having women in tight baby tees and short shorts helps my "beer stay colder" as promised in the ad.  That is unless the Hooters waitresses have taken to wearing ice packs strapped to themselves so that whenever they lean in or brush by the table they are helping chill the beer.  Or have their hearts frozen into blocks of ice from spending their working hours deflecting the advances of customers?  Have they become soulless from hawking wings with a side order of cleavage thereby rendering them ice cold?  Unless any of these are true, I'm going to say the beer temperature is not affected by the waitresses (although if you're getting an erection from watching them, they might be helping the beer get warmer if you're holding it too near your crotch).  

• Love 5

ethalfrida

Did we talk about the two boys and the older one blowing bubble of milk that froth out of the glass and spill onto the table? Did we? That one makes my trigger finger it...

Oh SURE, go ahead and do anything your little precious snowflake heart desires, kids!  Make ANY kind of mess, it's ok, it's CREATIVE and special, MOM will clean it up forever!  AUGHHH!

• Love 3

Nom nom is used quite a bit in the primal/paleo community as well. Although McDonalds doesn't really fit that model so I'm not sure if they're trying to sell that angle or not.

The Chico's ads often feature the same women. She bothers me & it took me awhile to put my finger on why. It's because she reminds me of Kris Kardashian Jenner. No wonder I find myself wanting to slap her for no specific reason.

• Love 1

I'm planning on feeding my children pancakes for dinner. I must be mother of the year.

I think it great. Breakfast food is good any time of the day. When I work late sometimes I eat cereal or one of those bacon and egg entrees when I come home.

• Love 3

You might be thinking of the one where they get to Wendy's parents house and she says their having gouda, so he freaks out and says something about not knowing it was THAT kind of dinner and grabs the flowers next to the door to give to her mom. Then her mom is like "these are...mine." It's real stupid.

Yeah, that's the one!

I've seen several versions, one of which has the stewardess speaking in broken English but suddenly being fluent af the end, which pussed me off.

Yeah, me too. When I was a kid, food was "nummy." Not that "num num" is better than "nom nom," but at least it makes more sense. I don't get where "nom" came from.

I thought it was because "nom nom" is an ominomipia which denotes the sound made when chewing one's food.

• Love 1

I've seen several versions, one of which has the stewardess speaking in broken English but suddenly being fluent af the end, which pussed me off.

I thought it was because "nom nom" is an ominomipia which denotes the sound made when chewing one's food.

LOLCats subliminally take over your mind!

Probably onomatopoeia, too. Maybe that's why the LOLCats say it.

• Love 4

It's been gone a while but,

"Stacy's mom has got it going on"

Made me crazy.

Oof, I hated that commercial. Mostly because I hated the Stacy's Mom song when it was a rock single playing on the radio. It was already stupid and I definitely never wanted to hear more of it as a commercial.

• Love 2

A few that really bug me right now:

The disembodied "Midas" hand is back on....hate...

The dancing skeleton that turns into a woman...freaks me out...(for a calcium supplement)

And the 'Cenegenics' ads....creepy old guys, shirtless (get off my tv)  And the guy droning on about his libido with his simpering wife, how it 'there' all the time!  Gah! Makes my eyes and ears bleed!

• Love 1

Cookie Monster was om-nom-nomming his way through cookies long before the Internet was even a thing. But Cookie and lolcats are the only ones I'll tolerate it from.

• Love 3

There's a Progresso soup commercial with the women at a party talking about how much weight they lost by eating Progresso soup. I hated this the first go-round and it annoys me even more now that they've started to air it again.  The soup may be low fat but it's still high in sodium. 

• Love 3