Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 9/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, sempervivum said:

The Jared ad with 2 young women who look vaguely related. One says 'I always knew one of my love languages was gifting'. What kind of pretentious weirdo says stuff like that??

I (thankfully) have not seen it, but that combines two of my many peeves: gift as a verb (yes, I know it has been around for centuries; my complaint is not that it's incorrect but that it's annoying) and "love languages".

• Like 4
  • Fire 4

There is a country crock commercial that annoys me in many ways.  Mom cooks massive amounts of food even though it seems to be only her and her son.  Then the son invites four or five kids to dinner which is ready.  I guess no one is expected at home.  

On all of this supposedly just made hot food, the big blobs of country crock are not melting. Also, she has pre-blobbed the corn and biscuits.  Can't they choose the amount they want? 

At the end, the mom gives a look to the camera that convinces me that country crock is used to knock out the children.  I think she abducts them and uses them as labor.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I'm really annoyed by the amount of money St. Jude's is forking over for its daily, multiple ads. So, that's what my potential donation goes to support? I used to create public service announcements for a nonprofit health organization & was lucky if they were shown during prime time (vs the usual 2:00 AM). We did not pay for air time.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

There is a country crock commercial that annoys me in many ways.  Mom cooks massive amounts of food even though it seems to be only her and her son.  Then the son invites four or five kids to dinner which is ready.  I guess no one is expected at home.  

On all of this supposedly just made hot food, the big blobs of country crock are not melting. Also, she has pre-blobbed the corn and biscuits.  Can't they choose the amount they want? 

Time for a barf reaction button.  🤮

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
On 9/26/2023 at 6:51 AM, chessiegal said:

I was disappointed to see Mary Lou Retton shilling Colonial Penn Life Insurance. I think their policies are a rip-off. You have to live 2 years after signing up to get a full payout. I think that is why there are no medical questions. Their actuaries have figured out that's the odds.

It is the estate of the deceased, not the children of the deceased, that is obligated to pay the debts of the parent. These commercials shamelessly mislead and victimize. 

On 9/26/2023 at 6:51 AM, chessiegal said:

I was disappointed to see Mary Lou Retton shilling Colonial Penn Life Insurance. I think their policies are a rip-off. You have to live 2 years after signing up to get a full payout. I think that is why there are no medical questions. Their actuaries have figured out that's the odds.

It is the estate of the deceased, not the children of the deceased, that is obligated to pay the debts of the parent. These commercials shamelessly mislead and victimize. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I agree. But they also emphasize the family will not have sufficient funds to give a funeral and bury the deceased. Therefore, you need the life insurance money to pay for a funeral.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm really annoyed by the amount of money St. Jude's is forking over for its daily, multiple ads. So, that's what my potential donation goes to support? I used to create public service announcements for a nonprofit health organization & was lucky if they were shown during prime time (vs the usual 2:00 AM). We did not pay for air time.

Likewise that annoying kid "band" shilling for your junker kars. How much of these donations are supporting TV ad budgets?

Edited by SG429
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

Likewise that annoying kid "band" shilling for your junker kars. How much of these donations are supporting TV ad budgets?

Geez...my husband loathes this ad (it really is ridiculous as the kids are just pretending to play the instruments). Yup. That's what really bothers me, knowing that the organization is paying a lot for prime air time. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

You can go online and see what percentage of donations go to admin costs vs the charity work.

We donated my dad's cars to The Make a Wish Foundation. I still give to St. Jude's. I know they do good work. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When I worked for the federal government, they would have a Combined Federal Campaign that corresponded to the United Way campaign. We got a booklet that listed charities with how much each charity used for administrative costs and how much went to charity. These were supposed to be the better ones, but it was still eye-opening to see the differences.

• Like 4
On 9/30/2023 at 11:27 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Apparently they spend $1,319,195 on advertising and $118,235,759 on patient care. Total revenue: $1,385,684,376

Actually that doesn't look too bad. 

https://www.stjude.org/content/dam/en_US/shared/www/about-st-jude/financial-information/st-jude-financials-990-irs-form-2022.pdf

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Apparently they spend $1,319,195 on advertising and $118,235,759 on patient care. Total revenue: $1,385,684,376

Actually that doesn't look too bad. 

https://www.stjude.org/content/dam/en_US/shared/www/about-st-jude/financial-information/st-jude-financials-990-irs-form-2022.pdf

While the kar folks spend 31% of $95.7Mil revenue just on the jingle ads. Another 9% on admin, https://www.kars4kidsprograms.org/about-us/K4K-annual-report-2021.pdf

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/30/2023 at 12:38 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

At the end, the mom gives a look to the camera that convinces me that country crock is used to knock out the children.  I think she abducts them and uses them as labor.  

Is that the one where one of the children horrified look on his face and he flees? 

• LOL 3

The Emirate Airlines commercials with Penelope Cruz air nonstop on Bravo. It seems like such a niche market to do TV ads for. I shudder to think what a ticket costs. Great, Penelope Cruz, lucky for you to be so rich you can afford your own private suite with a shower on a luxury airline but how many people who watch Bravo travel back and forth to the United Arab Emirates and can afford that airline? Maybe they're targeting all those rich Housewives that dominate that network.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 10/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, SG429 said:

What Kars 4 Kids doesn't tell you is that the charity is exclusively for the benefit of Orthodox Jewish kids and their families.  There has been some controversy about that.

Costly and Continuous Kars4Kids Ads Disguise Charity's Real Purpose

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The Emirate Airlines commercials with Penelope Cruz air nonstop on Bravo.

I think Royal Caribbean missed a real opportunity there.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The Emirate Airlines commercials with Penelope Cruz air nonstop on Bravo. It seems like such a niche market to do TV ads for. I shudder to think what a ticket costs. Great, Penelope Cruz, lucky for you to be so rich you can afford your own private suite with a shower on a luxury airline but how many people who watch Bravo travel back and forth to the United Arab Emirates and can afford that airline? Maybe they're targeting all those rich Housewives that dominate that network.

Emirates does fly to other places in Asia, but even premium economy to Australia is nearly $5,000. 😲  Maybe if they stopped sponsoring jerseys for half the football clubs in Europe, they could afford to charge less.  (And yes, I say that as an Arsenal supporter with my Emirates Stadium mousepad sitting on the desk next to me.)

• Like 1

OMG! Clariton is still running that It's the most Wonderful Time of the Year commercial. I wouldn't buy their product if I were dying of allergies. It's bad enough in the spring, I kind of got numb to it in the summer but it's October FFS! Where is my Geico commercial? I'm losing it!

image.png.87269bbc24502a2254de129b305cd00c.png

• Like 4

For those who mute or run screaming from the room at the Kars song...you probably missed that now you can donate real estate, too. Private real estate, business real estate....ANY real estate! Anything at all! Whether desperate or greedy, I don't know, but if you happen to have real estate, any at all, ANYTHING....donate to kars! 

Sorry, but those kids are kreepy AF. Chuck E Cheese animatronics have more life force. 

• LOL 6
On 9/29/2023 at 9:38 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

My mom butters pancakes right off the griddle. It bothers me because I'd rather apply my own butter. It makes me wonder if they pre-blobbed the corn and biscuits to show off the product or if this is something someone other than my mom does. (Pancakes are the only thing she does it on.)

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, janie jones said:

My mom butters pancakes right off the griddle. It bothers me because I'd rather apply my own butter. It makes me wonder if they pre-blobbed the corn and biscuits to show off the product or if this is something someone other than my mom does. (Pancakes are the only thing she does it on.)

I'm sure it's to show off the product, but having huge blobs of yellow goo that isn't melting does not make me want to try the product.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think the camera lingers on the food long enough to show the margarine melting. They are showing what it can be used for.

One of my grocery stores moved margarine to another part of the store. I asked a young man where the margarine was. He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I said, you know, fake butter. Oh - they moved butter to aisle whatever. 🤣

• Like 1

Folks,

Posts about ads on the site are off topic.  They have been moved to Small Talk where you can discuss anything except for politics and the actual forum topic of commercials. No need to apologize for placing these posts here.  That would be off topic too.  :-) 

If you have questions for the mods, please PM them directly.  We do not discuss mod actions or site business in the forums. The mods for the Commercials forum are @PrincessPurrsALot and @theatremouse.  Thanks!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Technically, that's not the product on the food in the commercials. I remember someone who photographed food for commercials says they use yellow mashed potatoes for butter.

• Mind Blown 1
On 10/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, Gharlane said:

Technically, that's not the product on the food in the commercials. I remember someone who photographed food for commercials says they use yellow mashed potatoes for butter.

That's if it's a commercial for something else.  Per FTC regulations, any company advertising a food product has to show that actual product in the commercial/ad.  Any other food used in the shoot, though, can be made of something else -- and often is, because the real thing doesn't do well under the studio lights.

For example: 

- If a cereal is being advertised, it has to be the real cereal, but the "milk" can be white glue (because that's thicker than milk, and the cereal will float better).  But if it's a commercial for milk, showing its use in cereal, it has to be the real milk -- but the cereal could be Styrofoam to achieve that same floating shot.

- If something like Hershey's is advertising its chocolate syrup, they can use mashed potatoes as the "ice cream" that syrup is poured over, since actual ice cream melts quickly under stage lighting.  But if it was the ice cream being advertised, that substitution would not be allowed; everyone just has to set and shoot quickly.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 14

It's an old one but the Halloween commercial where the woman gives out a kitkat and reese peanut butter cups to the girl who was dressed as both but only one to the boys still standing there and watched her do it. That's terrible. Give out the same amount of candy to each kid.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It's an old one but the Halloween commercial where the woman gives out a kitkat and reese peanut butter cups to the girl who was dressed as both but only one to the boys still standing there and watched her do it. That's terrible. Give out the same amount of candy to each kid.

I was coming here to complain about this ad!  Why does this woman have so much disdain for the 2 boys? They each took their preferred (ONE)candy from the tray and selection SHE offered. If she wanted to give out more than one, then tell the kids take 2.  Was she running some kind of double secret costume contest for her own judgy amusement?  Is she doing some crazy personality experiment to evaluate children based on their chocolate choices?  I would egg that house just for her smarmy attitude.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I love animals. I always have. But the ASPCA ads are too much. I don't need a T-shirt to show that I care for animals. You don't donate to a cause to show what a great person you are. You do it because it's the right thing to do. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I love animals. I always have. But the ASPCA ads are too much. I don't need a T-shirt to show that I care for animals. You don't donate to a cause to show what a great person you are. You do it because it's the right thing to do. 

Really. Stop making T shirts and give the money to save more animals. Same with Shriners, I think. I don't want another blanket. Use the money for the kids.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
On 10/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, Gharlane said:

I was talking about why they were showing the Country Crock vs whether people actually use it that way, not whether what was pictured was actually Country Crock.

Why is this Dr. Z just loitering around in the laundry aisle in the All Free & Clear commercial? And why is she kind of smug when the 2 women say that they love her*? And they barely finish saying that the (their?) daughter has sensitive skin before Dr. Z just shoves a jug at them. 

*And why do they love her anyway?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • LOL 6
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

11 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I was coming here to complain about this ad!  Why does this woman have so much disdain for the 2 boys? They each took their preferred (ONE)candy from the tray and selection SHE offered. If she wanted to give out more than one, then tell the kids take 2.  Was she running some kind of double secret costume contest for her own judgy amusement?  Is she doing some crazy personality experiment to evaluate children based on their chocolate choices?  I would egg that house just for her smarmy attitude.

Finally saw this one and I’m not sure if I’m underthinking or some of y’all are overthinking, but it just struck me as a typical ad where our product is great and you’re cool and good things are coming your way if you like it. Not ready to egg anyone’s house yet. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And why the hell does the lady care who is what for Halloween? What’s her game, anyway?! F her.

I dunno, maybe she’s the marketing manager for whatever is the parent company of Reese’s and Twix? I mean, if I was the ceo of State Farm and “jake” came to my door, I’d probably give the kid a little extra. 

• LOL 5

Maybe. That’s fine (not that I actually think she’s some kind of candy bigwig). But it’s super-dickish to blatantly do in front of the other kids.

ETA: I don’t think I’ve ever said “bigwig” in a conversation before now.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • LOL 3
57 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe. That’s fine (not that I actually think she’s some kind of candy bigwig). But it’s super-dickish to blatantly do in front of the other kids.

ETA: I don’t think I’ve ever said “bigwig” in a conversation before now.

Yeah, if she hadn't done it in front of the other kids I wouldn't have a problem with it. But she did it front of them. That's not right.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, janie jones said:

I was talking about why they were showing the Country Crock vs whether people actually use it that way, not whether what was pictured was actually Country Crock.

Thanks for clarifying. I am sure there are people who drown their food in butter or fake butter.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:39 AM, andromeda331 said:

What annoys me is the woman's attitude and the little girl's costume isn't very good. Was she making a KitKat costume and decided she'd rather be a Reese's PeanutButter Cup? 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Thanks for clarifying. I am sure there are people who drown their food in butter or fake butter.

What annoys me is the woman's attitude and the little girl's costume isn't very good. Was she making a KitKat costume and decided she'd rather be a Reese's PeanutButter Cup? 

That costume is crap. It's just blatant advertising with zero creativity or thought. Same for the whole commercial.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Isn't that the purpose of commercials? 😉

Of course but to slap that crummy stuff on and call it a Halloween costume and then reward the kid? I guess my college journalism professor was right, people who work in marketing have no souls.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why is this Dr. Z just loitering around in the laundry aisle in the All Free & Clear commercial? And why is she kind of smug when the 2 women say that they love her*? And they barely finish saying that the (their?) daughter has sensitive skin before Dr. Z just shoves a jug at them. 

*And why do they love her anyway?

I love the product, but that is one weird commercial.  Were I not already buying All Free & Clear detergent, it definitely would not make me choose to do so.

• Like 5

I really hate the commercial for No. 7 skincare with the two ladies reflecting on their misspent youth when they used to fall asleep with a face full of makeup or, even worse, wash off their makeup with soap (their poor dry faces!). I'm not sure why I dislike it so. Possibly because it's on all the time on every channel I watch. 

• Like 4
On 10/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, mmecorday said:

And for me, they are counter-productive.  I can't watch them, I have to mute or change the channel.  I know there are animals who are abused and neglected and it breaks my heart.  Esp now, we had to say goodbye to 2 of our beloved kitties in August.  But I can't watch it, and the commercials are so long.

Edited by lh25
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 5