Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

This one grates my nerves

Ok it's horrible that they're answering this one in unison of two different locations but it's also sad that people are selling chandeliers and rugs for lockers. Where the hell are the damn textbooks?? I would be damned if I brought my child a rug and a chandelier to go in their locker. This is horrible advertising.

LOL!! Shadow.    True confession time:  I bought a locker chandelier and a rug and, wait for it....a coordinating stick on organizer, in flaming hot neon pink, yessir.  You wanna know what the hell right?   :D  So I didn't give this any more thought than I would've if she'd wanted to plaster her bedroom walls with posters or stick an entire tab of Forever 21 earring studs in one ear and not the other or wear 2 different colored Converses.  Is it totally and completely pointless?  ::chews stalk of wheat:: Yup.  But it's also a basically harmless way for kids to individualize and *make theirs* something that is otherwise pretty anonymous looking, especially in a setting where EVERYTHING must be the same (Catholic school), until that is, you reach special snowflake status of becoming an upperclassman and are rewarded with a locker.   I giggled a little at where the hell are the textbooks?  Chile these children are coming home herniated hear?  Trust me, on their backs, in their hands or in class.   Don't mean to sound defensive, I just wanted to be able to answer "who are these people" if I am these people. lol.

Buffy you haven't seen the studies indicating that homosexuality is *caused* by when red and white make a baby?   What'd you say to him is what I wanna know.

Wow.  I hadn't seen this chandelier/rug thing before.  I admit I refused to believe it until I saw it.  This is PRECISELY special snowflake material!  When are parents going to tell their kids the REAL world isn't like that?  I have no hope left for society, really.

• Love 2
(edited)

This right here, and all others like it. Involuntary Kegel every time I see it. And not in a good way:

Also, the ladies who are wearing white and are slightly bent over as if they've been interrupted by a little cramp while jogging? When really their entire reproductive system is disintegrating because of an errant patch of chicken wire? Nope. Nuh-uh. Ain't happenin.

Edited by RubyWoo72
  • Love 2

The hotels.com ads with Captain Obvious can go any time now,

I don't a commercial explaining the virtues of hotels.com for those one night stands you picked-up in a bar.

Nor do I want to watch a commercial inspired by Harold & Maude unless Harold offs himself this time.

• Love 1

Damn, I HATE that commercial. It always seems to come on when I'm trying to eat something O_o. Don't envy people who are really going through that kind of situation though.

Me, neither. I really do feel bad for women who suffer from that, but the thought of what it is makes me cringe. I was trying to find the commercial with the blaring headline "$500,000,000 VAGINAL SETTLEMENT" because the diction seemed wrong to me. Or it just made me think of lady parts that had been floating somewhere and then just...settled...in a few inches of silt and seaweed.
  • Love 2

Me, neither. I really do feel bad for women who suffer from that, but the thought of what it is makes me cringe. I was trying to find the commercial with the blaring headline "$500,000,000 VAGINAL SETTLEMENT" because the diction seemed wrong to me. Or it just made me think of lady parts that had been floating somewhere and then just...settled...in a few inches of silt and seaweed.

Yea and good point. That does sound wrong O_O. What it sounds like to me is that the lady parts are the ones who get the settlement.

Nor do I want to watch a commercial inspired by Harold & Maude unless Harold offs himself this time.

Wait, what? What does Harold & Maude have to do with Captain Obvious?

I'm not laughing. Really. I'm not.

• Love 1

Ok it's horrible that they're answering this one in unison of two different locations but it's also sad that people are selling chandeliers and rugs for lockers. Where the hell are the damn textbooks?? I would be damned if I brought my child a rug and a chandelier to go in their locker. This is horrible advertising.

The commercials for these go over my head, but I've got several of the chandeliers. They are perfectly sized for my 1/4 scale doll rooms & I don't have to wire the rooms to have lights. Don't know that I buy them for a student though, but I don't have to worry about that.

And Dove makes a deodorant that is not anti-perspirant? I must look for this, allergic to aluminum which all anti-perspirants contain.

I've had to purchase deodorant for several folks who were allergic to aluminum.  Just make sure the label says Deodorant and not Anti-Perspirant.

I think Mennen makes a musk-scented one that is pretty yummy.

I've had to purchase deodorant for several folks who were allergic to aluminum.  Just make sure the label says Deodorant and not Anti-Perspirant.

I think Mennen makes a musk-scented one that is pretty yummy.

Cos-stanza!

• Love 2

Wow.  I hadn't seen this chandelier/rug thing before.  I admit I refused to believe it until I saw it.  This is PRECISELY special snowflake material!  When are parents going to tell their kids the REAL world isn't like that?  I have no hope left for society, really.

because there aren't any chandeliers and rugs in the real world? lol.

• Love 2

What about the Dannon commercial, the one in the park where she balls up some paper and pretends it is ice cream?  Does anyone ever eat yogurt THAT way, revolving the spoon in their mouth?  It looks very odd.

• Love 1
(edited)

Confession: my youngest has a rug in her locker. She likes seeing the bright pop of color when she opens the door & she doesn't scrape her hands as much grabbing things in a hurry. I just thought it was silly & fun. A million years ago I put up pictures, magnets & deep meaningful quotes in my locker so ehh.

I use a coconut based deodorant called Primal Pit Paste (yep, that's the name!) to avoid the stuff in most anti-perspirants, but I'm moderately crunchy & use other odd products as well. It comes in various scents & unscented as well.

The ad that currently makes me blinky is for a washer/dryer. I don't know if it's Maytag or LG or which company because I try to drown it out by singing in my head. The mom stands by her sparking new machines eating candy while her kids run wildly by. She calls them little humans or little people. Which, ughhhhh! She is smugly clever since her new appliances work so much more quickly than her previous ones but she is pretending it takes her just as long so that she can have that time to herself. Since when did little kids care if the laundry was done when they needed their mom? I don't remember that being a secret hideaway of peace when my children were small. Also, if I wanted a moment to myself, standing beside my washing matching, munching on candy & watching as my kids run by yelling is not that moment.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1

Saw the one in which the mother got annoyed with her  kid thumbing his Smartphone so she pulled off his thumbs then told her toddler not to suck her brother's dismembered thumb. Nasty!

• Love 1

Speaking of annoying Maytag commercials, the new one where the Maytag guy is inexplicably sitting inside of the dishwasher rivals the Skittles ads for sheer disgustingness. First of all, being forced into a cramped space filled with dirty dishes already sounds like one of the circles of hell, but then the lady cleaning up hands him a used whisk and he starts to lick it, at which point I get dry heaves. Bleah! Eating leftover food stuck to the dishes in the dishwasher is one small step away from eating out of the trash can, and as Seinfeld has eloquently pointed out, if it's in the trash, it is trash.

• Love 2

What about the Dannon commercial, the one in the park where she balls up some paper and pretends it is ice cream?  Does anyone ever eat yogurt THAT way, revolving the spoon in their mouth?  It looks very odd.

This is mean, but I always wonder what kind of eating disorder she must have that she's actually trying to eat paper. And even acts like she's enjoying it, since she's all happy and smiley while she's doing itt.

Saw the one in which the mother got annoyed with her  kid thumbing his Smartphone so she pulled off his thumbs then told her toddler not to suck her brother's dismembered thumb. Nasty!

O.o

Speaking of annoying Maytag commercials, the new one where the Maytag guy is inexplicably sitting inside of the dishwasher rivals the Skittles ads for sheer disgustingness. First of all, being forced into a cramped space filled with dirty dishes already sounds like one of the circles of hell, but then the lady cleaning up hands him a used whisk and he starts to lick it, at which point I get dry heaves. Bleah! Eating leftover food stuck to the dishes in the dishwasher is one small step away from eating out of the trash can, and as Seinfeld has eloquently pointed out, if it's in the trash, it is trash.

He isn't sitting *in* the dishwasher, he's portraying the dishwasher.

Oh gross - that's a million times worse! How is the thought of a dishwasher "cleaning" my dishes with human saliva and extra tongue action supposed to convince me to want a dishwasher?? If anything, it makes me want to bust out the Palmolive.

Not everything needs to be anthropomorphized, Madison Avenue. What's next, a Kohler ad featuring a man crouching in the corner of the bathroom, pretending to be the toilet?

• Love 2

If I recall, he had a rag? I don't think they meant to imply saliva-based cleaning. He was just anthropomorphized in the sense of...it's Maytag, they have their mascot the Maytag repairman who never has to repair anything because the appliances are so good, they switched their tack in the ads from lonely repairman to....friendly dude who is the appliance. They're trying to make you feel like the appliance is your pal, or some reliable dude you like or something. It's weird, but so far, hasn't been remotely scatalogical. If anything it's been much more clean and crisp than looking at a real cleaning process would be in either a dishwasher or laundry.

• Love 2

Yeah, he is the appliance in these ads -- with the one in question, the pitch is that whatever food is left on the plates when you put it in, the Maytag dishwasher will "chew up for you."  (Which, so will any good dishwasher, which is why seeing my friend with a new, high-quality dishwasher waste water by essentially washing her dishes before putting them in the dishwasher makes me cringe, but I digress). To illustrate this, he - tucked in the cabinet where the dishwasher would be - licks something off a whisk.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Oh gross - that's a million times worse! How is the thought of a dishwasher "cleaning" my dishes with human saliva and extra tongue action supposed to convince me to want a dishwasher?? If anything, it makes me want to bust out the Palmolive.

Not everything needs to be anthropomorphized, Madison Avenue. What's next, a Kohler ad featuring a man crouching in the corner of the bathroom, pretending to be the toilet?

I don't remember a rag, and that commercial doesn't sell me on a dishwasher at all.  I'm not focused on a dishwasher, I'm focused on this guy cramped in a space with dishes around him.  It feels super squiggy for him to lick that whisk because then that IMO looks like the way the dishes are going to get cleaned, by some dude licking them, which is super gross.  I can sort of see what they were going for, but give me the classic shots of the dishwasher, with the dirty dishes going in, some animation about cleaning action, and sparkling clean, slightly wet glasses coming out.  Now that makes me feel good about the clean dishes, some dude licking a whisk makes me feel oogy.

• Love 3

This is too funny a coincidence.  One of my FB friends just posted this and she doesn't read forums at all.  So we did not influence her.

If you're going to make only women eat yogurt in yogurt commercials, at least make them look annoyed about it. Yogurt is terrible.
  • Love 2

I'm not focused on a dishwasher, I'm focused on this guy cramped in a space with dishes around him.  It feels super squiggy for him to lick that whisk because then that IMO looks like the way the dishes are going to get cleaned, by some dude licking them, which is super gross.

They're attempting to leverage the appeal of Colin Ferguson. Their fridge ad is written a lot better, although they should have given him gloves to handle the ice.

ABay -- he's on Haven now (which I've just caught up with on Netflix and Amazon ) and he's obviously having a ball there. I don't know if he'll be back next season because I haven't read spoilers. I miss Eureka, too, and I'll watch CF wherever I can find him -- but those Maytag commercials always leave me feeling a little sad for him (even if he's taking home refrigerators full of $$ for them, as I've read).

Confession: my youngest has a rug in her locker. She likes seeing the bright pop of color when she opens the door & she doesn't scrape her hands as much grabbing things in a hurry. I just thought it was silly & fun. A million years ago I put up pictures, magnets & deep meaningful quotes in my locker so ehh.

For me, it's not the existence of a rug or chandelier in a locker, but going out and purchasing them or anything else (other than something functional like a mirror or mini whiteboard or something) specifically to put in a locker.  I mean, I decorated my locker when I was in school, but I did it as the year went by and I accumulated stuff that I wanted to keep and put up in there.  I can totally see my younger self acquiring a chandelier somehow and putting it up, but I never would have gone out and bought one.I think having a functional purpose like avoiding getting scraped is something different altogether.

They're attempting to leverage the appeal of Colin Ferguson. Their fridge ad is written a lot better, although they should have given him gloves to handle the ice.

To bad he has no appeal, in my eyes.

I like the one where he's a clothes dryer.

Is that the one where there's two of him? Although the ad focuses on the dryer, I think he's also there as the washer. These ads are a waste of Colin's talent. The writers need to go grab some Eureka DVD's and see what he can do.

This is too funny a coincidence.  One of my FB friends just posted this and she doesn't read forums at all.  So we did not influence her.

If you're going to make only women eat yogurt in yogurt commercials, at least make them look annoyed about it. Yogurt is terrible.

True story: My mom sometimes buys yogurt - not Yoplait - because commercials have convinced her that its good and good for her, and she can never eat all of it because its just that nasty. So thanks for brainwashing my mother, Advertising People.

• Love 1

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions topic, but I don't hate yogurt. I have it several times a week mixed with fresh fruit and granola and also use it in cooking in place of sour cream.

• Love 8

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions topic, but I don't hate yogurt. I have it several times a week mixed with fresh fruit and granola and also use it in cooking in place of sour cream.

I like it ok too, with some fruit, granola cereal and some dark chocolate chips in it.

I also like yogurt, but none of the supposedly-tastes-like-pastry kind. Plain that I add actual fruit to, or the kind with fruit in it, but not if it has added sugar. I also recently learned the trick of using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and prefer that now. A yogurt commercial, on the other hand, has never done anything other than to occasionally put me off a brand. Well, I shouldn't even say that because a lot of these brands, because of my finickiness about yogurt I wouldn't have purchased anyway, but still, they earn my wrath in a "now you'll really never get my business!" kind of way. So for me, yogurt commercials are either sources of indifference or they potentially lost a sale out of it, not the other way round.

• Love 2

I'm a vegetarian and can't (won't) eat a lot of the major name brand yogurts because they have gelatin in them. I shop at Trader Joe's almost exclusively anyway, though, and theirs doesn't (the strawberry and vanilla flavors; I don't like other flavors). It's almost too sweet, though; it's made with (organic) sugar.

There was this yogurt I used to buy at the Farmers Market.  It was super all natural, goat milk, greek yogurt.  It tasted like heaven.  Fig and white pumpkin were absolutely to die for there were so good.  I can't even look at normal yogurt after the Farmers Market yogurt.  Cows were dead to me, because their milk was so useless in yogurt making. It was so expensive, but it was like yogurt crack it was so good.  I could sit all alone in a dark room and eat that yogurt all day.

Edited by RealityGal