Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony: Let's Party!!

I went through the hotspot list and either they weren't streaming live, regionblocked (I am guessing) or required some kind of log in.  So I am still watching a low quality spammy stream.  AT least it has no commercials.

I think the parade of the athletes is one of my favourite parts.  It's so lovely to see the looks on their faces when they enter the stadium, especially the athletes from small countries.  No matter how sleazy or money-grubbing the Olympics get they can't take the joy of the athlete away.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, mightysparrow said:

I think the parade of the athletes is one of my favourite parts.  It's so lovely to see the looks on their faces when they enter the stadium, especially the athletes from small countries.  No matter how sleazy or money-grubbing the Olympics get they can't take the joy of the athlete away.

That's what i tell people about why i <3 the Olympics.  are the Olympics sleazy? yes. are they obnoxiously corporate now? yes? but the moment the athletes start walking in, and 16 days of stories, tears, laughter, and pure joy - that trumps all of that for me. I watch for the Athletes. 

• Love 10

I always have to tell myself nothing is going to trump the Olympic Moment Countdown Clock - or the Beijing Drum Clock, but i always expect it anyway. ah well that was kinda cool. 

and away, we go!

Look! It's the guy who replaced the deposed President of Brazil.  Whooooo!  Thrills a minute.

And a stuffed IOC suit who no doubt has a nice bribe-stuffed Swiss bank account to match his suit stuffing!

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4
Just now, PaulaO said:

Ralph Lauren puts his logo on the jackets of the U.S. athletes.  Could his fucking ego be any bigger?  Love Brazil's anthem.

That shouldn't be allowed.  It would be nice to keep the product placement out of the opening ceremonies at least.

• Love 3

Hey, it's a pure looking "opening ceremony" representation of the badly polluted Rio-area waters!

And then we get the cool looking representation of the part of the Amazon that hasn't been destroyed yet!

And we get some ingenuous people.  Or rather their descendants who are getting some well deserved paychecks for "going native" for all the rich folk watching.

• Love 3

Now it's Pirates of the Caribbean.  They are hot, though.

Slavery.  Well, this is pleasant.

Well, time to shave and to fold things while watching this.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Is the BBC live stream (legitimately) available to users in other countries? It was for London 2012, but of course that may have been a special goodwill gesture.

Legit?  No.

Edited by Kromm
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

It's times like this where I really miss commercial free public television. All these commercial breaks are messing with my enjoyment of the opening.

you would think they would pump all the commericals before the event, and after the event, and have solid chunks of uninterrupted Olympic

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Is the BBC live stream (legitimately) available to users in other countries? It was for London 2012, but of course that may have been a special goodwill gesture.

I'm striking out on finding a decent feed.  Couldn't get through to BBC and I clicked a shit ton of links.  Other links wanted me to subscribe to sites that looked sketchy.  Sigh.  Hopefully it pops up on youtube.

They interview the two directors of the opening ceremony, a man and a woman, and I could have sworn one of them said that it would be unlike previous ceremonies because they wouldn't specifically focus on Brazil, but on the world and its people as a whole.  So far, I'm not seeing that.   Not that there's anything wrong with focusing on Brazil because it is the host country, but that's what was said.  

Actually, I'm kinda bored and waiting for the parade of athletes.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I hate that we are getting this on a tape delay in the US.

So weird given that A GOOD PART OF THE US POPULATION is in a compatible time zone (the SAME ONE as Rio, in fact). 

• Love 5

PTV Forums does not allow discussion about how to watch things unofficially. Google if you are interested in alternatives but do not post it on the boards. Thanks. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

So weird given that A GOOD PART OF THE US POPULATION is in a compatible time zone (the SAME ONE as Rio, in fact). 

Yeah Rio is only one hour ahead of the East coast so WTF?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Actually, Rio is an hour ahead of EDT.  Compatible, yes, but not the same one.

3 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I recommend CBC to those looking for a live feed.  But the US team has already come in.

So they didn't get to come in at the end. Good because I hate that NBC manipulates so much of how the Olympics are presented to not only the US but also the world at large.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, maraleia said:

Yeah Rio is only one hour ahead of the East coast so WTF?

Honestly - I think so they can pump in their Fluff, and make sure it's all Prime-Timey. but I don't get why NBC does this. just show what's going on. every other country does this, you don't need to maniuplate stuff NBC. 

1 minute ago, maraleia said:

So they didn't get to come in at the end. Good because I hate that NBC manipulates so much of how the Olympics are presented to not only the US but also the world at large.

I had to laugh when I heard that NBC asked the IOC if team USA could march last. the IOC shut that down so fast. 

hi Gisele. I guess she really is the girl from Ipanema

Giselle did the only thing she's capable of...walk the catwalk. I want to like this but I'm having a hard time.

BTW people are already shouting homophobic slurs during the soccer matches. It perfectly encapsulates what Ellen Page and Ian Daniel highlighted during their Gaycation series stop in Rio.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

I get what they are trying to do, but the performers seem to be really lacking excitement and energy. They just seem flat. 

If it wasn't winter there, I'd say it might be too hot!  But its in the mid-70s Farenheit.

I'm supposing practices cost a lot of money--having to run the effects extra times, but more importantly paying thousands of people for more time. I wonder if the practice was basically calling them in earlier today.

9 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Giselle did the only thing she's capable of...walk the catwalk. I want to like this but I'm having a hard time.

Seriously.  This is awful.  Can't wait to see the athletes.

• Love 2

This Opening Ceremony proves that American's lack an understanding of South American countries to a degree that is alarming and that needs to change. It says something that we have no idea what they are trying to convey with this performance.

I did like the part where they showed the world what will happen when/if the sea levels rise across the world. Maybe that will wake people up to climate change.

Edited by maraleia