Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony: Let's Party!!

5 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm old too as I watched both of those.  In all fairness to myself I was only seven in 1972!

Well, I'll do you one better.  I got married in 1972. ; )

The first Olympics I remember watching was in '68.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, camussie said:

I also think it is cool that the USA not only has the most female athletes there but also a higher percentage of women than men,  

My birth country also has more women than men representing :)

8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Plus the Massacre of the Isreali athletes.

I stayed up all night waiting to hear news about the Israeli athletes.  Edited to add:  I was a little girl but my mother let me stay up.

I will never ever forget when Jim McKay said 'They're all gone.'   It was devastating.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 3

I lived in Atlanta during the 96 games. All it did is jack up the prices on everything and the events were expensive as hell. The only good thing to come out of them was the Olympic park.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, camussie said:

Except for the Ralph Lauren logo I really like the team USA uniforms.  I think the white pants with the striped shirt and blue blazer are the right look for these Olympics which are a bit more a casual. 

I like them too. I want the t-shirt in my closet right now. Also, I want one of the Botswana blazers. That soft blue is a gorgeous color.

30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I'm not going to lie...the first Olympics I can really remember are Calgary 88, but 28 years later the Olympics theme still gives me chills.

Hmmm, I was 11 in 84 so I'm not sure why I don't remember watching LA.  Must have been on past my bedtime.

Me too! I remember Mary Lou Retton from '84 but that is it.

The thing I remember most about Calgary - ice skating and giant dancing (inflatable I think) beavers.

Edited by cmahorror
1 minute ago, cmahorror said:

The thing I remember most about Calgary - ice skating and giant dancing beavers.

Canada and our beavers. they were there in Vancouver too. 

1 minute ago, cmahorror said:

The thing I remember most about Calgary - ice skating and giant (inflatable I think) beavers.

The Calgary Olympics were so much fun! Those beavers were insane!!

• Love 2

I appreciate Matt and Meredith saying "E-rahn" and "E-rahq" (I know I'm butchering that, I hope you get my meaning) because I loathe the pronunciation of "Eye-ran" and "Eye-rack."

Ireland appears to be wearing footie pajamas.

Once again, Italy's hotness quotient is off the charts.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Jim McKay!  Oh how I miss him.  He really knew his stuff.  You are right Daisy, Today can get out like yesterday.  

I'm enjoying the opening ceremony, the music is great and the 'show' value is fun but there's just something this time around, maybe with everything going on in the world as of late I'm not feeling the joy.  I just hope everything runs smoothly.  And I'd love to see one or more of the refugee athletes win a medal.  

The Aussie blazers...nope.  No thanks.  Not ever.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
Just now, camussie said:

I get why NBC's coverage is American centric.  They are playing to an American audience.  I would guess that the Japanese coverage is Japenese centric.  

BBC, and CBC usually focus on everyone with some home-centricness.  NBC is like American-concentrate. 

but yah when you are in Asia - it's very focused on their own country. 

I don't think the American team is being obnoxious.  It seems like an exuberant atmosphere in the stadium and I am sure there are other teams cheering, chanting, etc for their team.   I do agree that while i get why NBC's coverage is American team heavy they don't need to flash to the team quite so often

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I liked these opening ceremonies a lot better than London. Got bored during the polar ice caps segment- I thought the "show" part was over after all the gratuitous shots of Giselle. Speaking of, I loathe anything having to do with her or Tom Brady- both sanctimonious assholes. Speaking of, the constant USA! USA! Chants by the athletes and the announcers is a bit much. 

The first Olympics I recall really being interested in was Atlanta (I was 11?). My two boys are almost 4 (I had him during the London olympics) and 6 and are totally into the diving and swimming (they are water babies and argue over who gets to be Michael Phelps when playing in the pool). I introduced them to diving via the trials on last week and their minds were blown! This is a fun time for me! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, camussie said:

I don't think the American team is being obnoxious.  It seems like an exuberant atmosphere in the stadium and I am sure there are other teams cheering, chanting, etc for their team.   I do agree that while i get why NBC's coverage is American team heavy they don't need to flash to the team quite so often

I agree. It seems everytime the Olympics roll around it's Americans being exuberant=obnoxious, other countries doing the same = "cute", "sweet", "I'm crying", "I love that". I'm no a USA, rah rah kind of person, but I've never understood why people think Americans shouldn't make a peep during the Olympics yet find it perfectly acceptable when other countries do the same.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I agree. It seems everytime the Olympics roll around it's Americans being exuberant=obnoxious, other countries doing the same = "cute", "sweet", "I'm crying", "I love that". I'm no a USA, rah rah kind of person, but I've never understood why people think Americans shouldn't make a peep during the Olympics yet find it perfectly acceptable when other countries do the same.

I don't think they are being obnoxious or anything  - I am fine with them being all hyped and everything (and when they get all emotional etc - I have plenty of emotion for them). What irks, I think especially here  during the Parade of nations - is that NBC pans to them chanting USA etc - when they could focus on other stuff. (that is my glitch). When CBC overdoes it i give them the same flack :)

• Love 7

I don't blame the USA athletes for being excited and chanting when they see a camera pointed at them.  I do blame NBC for showing them every 5 seconds.  It is really obnoxious.

• Love 9

I got close to the tv and just noticed that on bottom the right side there's a map that highlights each country.  Never noticed that before.  Damn my eyes are getting bad.