Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony: Let's Party!!

1 minute ago, maraleia said:

So comedian Judy Gold just tweeted this- Why do I find #MattLauer's commentary as annoying as a fingernail caught in between your teeth?

and I agree with her 100 percent.

To quote Leo Fitz from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "That's very specific."

• Love 3

And Matt Lauer managed at the last moment to squeeze in a mention of his wife being Dutch, as he does every. Single. Time.

Also, my country's outfit was lacking orange, I has a sad because it's always a good look for us :(

And with that, I'm off to bed and shall watch the rest at a later date because I have to be at work at 7am tomorrow.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

And Matt Lauer managed at the last moment to squeeze in a mention of his wife being Dutch, as he does every. Single. Time.

Also, my country's outfit was lacking orange, I has a sad because it's always a good look for us :(

And with that, I'm off to bed and shall watch the rest at a later date because I have to be at work at 7am tomorrow.

Goodnight!! 

As annoying as it might be for some, I do think that the main reason NBC highlights the US athletes is for their relatives and friends back  home.  The athletes are posing in groups so that they can be shown for that reason.  I've got no problem with it. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

As annoying as it might be for some, I do think that the main reason NBC highlights the US athletes is for their relatives and friends back  home.  The athletes are posing in groups so that they can be shown for that reason.  I've got no problem with it. 

That's fair. 
I am grumpy because i'm hot. ignore me. it's eleventymillion degrees outside

• Love 3
Just now, maraleia said:

Because of all the countries competing they are the most closed off from the world and that's saying something.

It's honestly amazing they're allowed to compete. I mean, they'll probably have access to the internet in Rio!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

The North Koreans are so solemn.

I seem to remember in decades past, all the athletes were supposed to parade in solemnly and with proper decorum, and Team USA would always get criticized for waving and chatting and moving around -- silly Americans who don't know how to behave on important occasions. Now everybody does that, and maybe it signifies the decline of something or other, but I think it's a change for the better. Why shouldn't they be having the time of their lives, on this (for most of them) once-in-a-lifetime occasion?

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Rick Kitchen said:

That was the Brazilian national anthem that was being played by the guy with the guitar?  That was really pretty.

Right? I say any time Brazil wins a medal - bust out the Guitar Guy

• Love 4

I might as well ask . . . what's the deal with the guys wearing hats and facepaint? I keep going back and forth between "Green Hornet" and "Hamburglar."

ETA: Didn't the original Girl From Ipenema show up on the second season of The Amazing Race? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

oh my god. i would cry big fat baby tears if I overslept and missed my event. (That reminds me of Simona Amanar, who was in the washroom - and had to sprint to the floor to compete in the finals in 96. - apparently if they announce your name and you're not there, poof, you're gone.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

the Today people need to go away. 

Indeed.  Every last one of them is torture to listen to.

It's something about morning TV hosts. The ones on the other channels are almost as bad.

• Love 3

Another member of the old people party - I was 8 in 1972 and remember watching Mark Spitz win each of his 7 Gold Medals, and in 1976 thinking what a hottie Bruce Jenner was. My how times have changed!

• Love 5

ETA: Didn't the original Girl From Ipenema show up on the second season of The Amazing Race? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

I don't know if it was the second season, but yes, they had to find The Girl from Ipanema.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Fun fact. Switzerland didn't grant women the right to vote until the year I was born- 1971. Seriously WTF took them so long.

Fun fact. McSorley's Old Ale House in New York City didn't admit or serve women until a Court case forced them to in 1970.

Second fun fact. They didn't build a women's bathroom until 1986 (the existing one had to be unisex for those 16 years, but it wasn't done to be progressive).

Edited by Kromm
1 minute ago, Mountainair said:

Just me then? The overly greasy body does nothing for me. Take a shower then we'll talk.

i wasn't focused on the shiny. 
his face was pretty. 

39 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

How does a teeny island nation like Nauru (8 square miles!) even function? Cool to see them.

Monaco is only 499 acres (0.78 mi²).

The key to places like that is that they inherently can't be self-sufficient, basically in anything. It's like expected a town to be self-sufficient.

While it's very informative to have the population, # of athletes, and location on the map for each country, I'd love it if they could  also list the capital.  That would be cool.

1 minute ago, Kromm said:

[After I asked about Nauru:] Monaco is only 499 acres (0.78 mi²).

The key to places like that is that they inherently can't be self-sufficient, basically in anything. It's like expected a town to be self-sufficient.

Yes, but Nauru is an island (which was part of my question) a long way from anything else; doesn't it pretty much have to be self-sufficient much of the time? People in Monaco or Liechtenstein or San Marino can drive into surrounding areas to work or shop, and vice versa. It's a long way from Nauru to anything else. I mean, obviously it makes it work, I'm not disputing that, but it just reminds me what a variety of ways of life we have on the planet.

• Love 1

Hi Refugees!

(but I am still confused. Why is there a Refugee team - when there's an Independent Team. especially because both will be underneath the Olympic flag, and have the Olympic theme). this would be something important for Team Today to explain. 

• Love 3