Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Los Angeles Qualifier

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm only 26 minutes in but I'm already just so damn thrilled with the ladies. Tory and Tiana (?) just did great, especially Tiana. So impressive. I have such high hopes for this season.

ETA: And now Natalie. She was awesome too. Hawaiian Ninja was so sweet in how excited he was for her.

Edited by slf
  • Love 5

Even with Team Ninja Warrior on Esquire, it's good to have ANW back. We got to see the women kick butt, even if it felt like Matt and Akbar were going to shine a spotlight on Kacy. And we got to see the pros do their thing. I like how there's no full-on villain figure on this show. It's a nice contrast to programs like The Real World, where you wind up hating everybody to different degrees.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Jessie Graff was great. 

She really was; I love how easily she made it up the wall. Previously she's been hit or miss with me (which is on me; I really wanted a woman to do really well and I felt she had what it took she just wasn't taking it as seriously as she could've been) but last season I just became such a fan and I knew she'd do well this year but I had no idea she'd kill the course. 

Even though Tory and Tiana weren't able to make it through they had terrific runs and I'm thrilled we've already got two women moving forward. The ladies put on quite a show tonight.

I like how the course was more diverse this year. In previous seasons it seemed really dependent on upper body strength obstacles. It was expected they'd make it harder but I was still surprised that one of the things they made harder was the first obstacle; it seems like 75% of the contestants used to wipe out on the quintuplets so making them smaller, higher, and throwing in a rope would knock out even more people. Either people really stepped it up or the show took criticism about their recruiting process to heart. Either way this was a much better qualifier than any of the ones from last year.

Special shout outs to the men that impressed: Grant McCartney (especially for hanging in there, literally, on the beam), Flip (whose maturity now matches his speed), Kevin Bull (for turning in an impressive run as always), and Nick Hanson (for muscling through it and making it up that wall).

And a shallow shout out to the surfer ninja who made it for still being so pretty.

Edited by slf
  • Love 6

I watch this show in large part because they take the ladies seriously.  I loved watching Jessie Grath climb the wall like it was nothing.  I was worried because it's the wall the women have the most trouble with but every year there is even more women showing they are here to compete.

• Love 4

I'm shallow.  I laughed out loud at the horse trainer who was so impressed with himself and his abs.  He was going to "run that course and look good doing it."

Didn't make it through the floating steps.  Reminds me of an old Bible verse:  Pride goeth before a fall.

But seriously, there were some IMPRESSIVE contestants tonight.  I loved the guy who ran it - and finished - in a pink tutu for his daughter.  Now that's a guy who is comfortable with his manhood.

• Love 15

Great episode.  Some fantastic women competitors tonight, especially Jessie and Natalie.  I hope Tianna gets a wild card.  She was very impressive.

I really enjoyed seeing the new Flip and Grant.  I was sorry that cut Nicholas short.  Really loved Nick Hanson as well.   I also like that the course was a nice balance of upper body strength, lower body strength, balance, and climbing.  Maybe they visited our site last year.  ;)  And yay for the tutu guy.

The one thing that I wish is that they'd have fewer stories and show the runs of those who finish the course, or, at least, more of them.  I mean, the horse trainer guy was cute and all, but did we really need to see him going on about how gorgeous he was?  

If this is an example of the show this year, I'm going to enjoy this season, although I continue to want to force-feed Akbar and Matt chamomile and valerian tea to get them to calm down a bit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, slf said:

it seems like 75% of the contestants used to wipe out on the quintuplets so making them smaller, higher, and throwing in a rope would knock out even more people

What bothered me about the previous steps was that the "professionals" would typically just go up one side, depending on their speed to power their way through. I always thought they should require that all the steps be touched, as they have other rules about areas that may or may not be touched. I don't think we're going to see anyone going up just one side with these steps.

Really upset that they didn't should the run of Nicholas Coolrich (sp?). He looks like he still brings the pretty, and if he's still eating out of dumpsters that's still a good background story to me.

• Love 4

This isn't live is it?  I understand why the stories are there but there were a lot of them and the abs guy who fell right away was funny bit I would have rather have seen the story of the guy who wore the tutu for his daughter who actually hit the buzzer.  Maybe during finals?  

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

This isn't live is it?  I understand why the stories are there but there were a lot of them and the abs guy who fell right away was funny bit I would have rather have seen the story of the guy who wore the tutu for his daughter who actually hit the buzzer.  Maybe during finals?  

It's kind of a "giveaway" for some of these folks.  If they get a pre-run "story," it can be a signal that they're not going forward.  Tutu Dad will be on another episode; maybe we'll get more backstory then.  

what happened to Flip's girlfriend Angie?  I noticed she wasn't there and she has been there every season he has been on. 

I watched Team Ninja Warrior and Tiana was on his team and I remember right before she competed, he went up behind her and wrapped his arms around her.  I remember thinking they looked more like a romantic couple than team mates.  Then I see that on the All Stars show, Angie wasn't there and they kept showing Tiana in the audience cheering him on.  Last nights episode they labeled Tiana as his "training partner", but I wonder if he and Angie broke up and Tiana is now his girlfriend.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the show for all the reasons already mentioned.  It looks like a great start to the new season.  My only complaint, as usual, has to do with the bios.  I don't care about the back stories of the people who fail and aren't going to be seen again.  I'd much rather see the full runs of the "while we were away" people who made it through the course and will be competing again.

I get a kick out of Matt and Akbar.  I think they sincerely enjoy doing the show and their enthusiasm seems very real to me.  They do get carried away sometimes but it amuses me.  I was hoping Alex Curry would be back instead of the blonde who seems a lot less genuine.

My nitpick with Matt and Akbar is the really really corny commentary related to the backstories.  Of the flight attendant - that's not a carry-on!  WTF?

I also noticed that Flip's GF wasn't there.

Also love Jessie Graff...but...HER MOM!!!  Doing pullups!!  So impressed by that.  

• Love 4
19 hours ago, butterbean1 said:

what happened to Flip's girlfriend Angie?  I noticed she wasn't there and she has been there every season he has been on. 

I watched Team Ninja Warrior and Tiana was on his team and I remember right before she competed, he went up behind her and wrapped his arms around her.  I remember thinking they looked more like a romantic couple than team mates.  Then I see that on the All Stars show, Angie wasn't there and they kept showing Tiana in the audience cheering him on.  Last nights episode they labeled Tiana as his "training partner", but I wonder if he and Angie broke up and Tiana is now his girlfriend.

Yeah a lot of people think he and Angie broke up because he wrote this post on Facebook. I don't know though. Maybe, maybe not. Either way I think he has a very sweet friendship with Tiana and I loved seeing them so excited for each other.

3 hours ago, VartanFan said:

My nitpick with Matt and Akbar is the really really corny commentary related to the backstories.  Of the flight attendant - that's not a carry-on!  WTF?

I also noticed that Flip's GF wasn't there.

Also love Jessie Graff...but...HER MOM!!!  Doing pullups!!  So impressed by that.  

I was watching ANW marathon last weekend and they were playing a couple of seasons back.  Matt and Akbar weren't as animated and it really made a difference.  They can be corny sometimes, but it does add more excitement to the show.  Same thing with the "personal stories".  I know they can get tiresome at times, but the do add an element of excitement to the show.  You really want the person to succeed.  I think ANW has found its sweet spot.

Jessie Graff is so graceful in her moves.  I was watching the All Star show and she was doing that peg board thing and she moved her body with such control and grace.  I think she was even pointing her toes at one point.  I love watching her.  She and Megan Martin are my favorite female competitors.  I kinda feel sorry for Kacy.  She seems to be in a bad spot.  NBC really pimped her out and she wasn't able to measure up last year.  I hope she does better this year.  I want to see her succeed again. 

My favorite male competitor is Brian Arnold.  I really want to see him make it to stage 4.  I also like Drew Dreschel because he is just fun to watch.  Isaac Caldiero rubs me the wrong way for some reason.  He just gives off that doucebag vibe.  I read somewhere that Noah Kaufman (the Dr. that is part of the wolf pack) wasn't invited back.  He is so nerdy that sometimes it made me cringe, but that has to be tough when everyone from the group you train with gets invited back and you don't.

Based on that FB posting by Flip, I would say that my observations are correct.  It sounds like he and Angie broke up.  I think he and Tiana are now an item.

• Love 2
On 3.6.2016 at 6:54 AM, mlp said:

I really enjoyed the show for all the reasons already mentioned.  It looks like a great start to the new season.  My only complaint, as usual, has to do with the bios.  I don't care about the back stories of the people who fail and aren't going to be seen again.  I'd much rather see the full runs of the "while we were away" people who made it through the course and will be competing again.

I get a kick out of Matt and Akbar.  I think they sincerely enjoy doing the show and their enthusiasm seems very real to me.  They do get carried away sometimes but it amuses me.  I was hoping Alex Curry would be back instead of the blonde who seems a lot less genuine.

I get a kick out of Matt and Akbar, too. I love their little puns and comments, especially Akbar's "call the Vatican and tell 'em the Papal Ninja is representin'!" Ha!

I actually think it's kind of smart that they focus on the backstories of some of the people that fail. A lot of the "while we are away" people are going to be highlighted in future episodes. It might get pretty old, pretty fast, if they got focused on all the time. That's kind of what happened with Kacy. She seems like a sweet girl and she's a good competitor, but she was constantly being featured, and I started resenting having "Mighty Kacy" being crammed down my throat.

Anyway, I was really impressed with Jessie. Not surprised that she brought it again this year. And I am really liking Tiana. That girl is LEGIT! She probably would have made it up the wall had she not wiped out at the end of the previous obstacle.

• Love 3

Why did they keep cutting to Kacy during Jessie's run? I felt it diminished her accomplishments in service to the bullshit they keep trying to shove down our throats that Kacy is the queen of ANW. She's as overrated as Brent Stephenson. Anyone want to take a bet on how soon he'll flame out in his city qualifier?

I love their little puns and comments, especially Akbar's "call the Vatican and tell 'em the Papal Ninja is representin'!" Ha!

That's precisely what I hate. It's such ridiculous over-the-top bullshit.

• Love 3

Why did they keep cutting to Kacy during Jessie's run? I felt it diminished her accomplishments in service to the bullshit they keep trying to shove down our throats that Kacy is the queen of ANW. She's as overrated as Brent Stephenson. Anyone want to take a bet on how soon he'll flame out in his city qualifier?

Totally agree.  They're actually making me dislike Kacy and she really hasn't done anything to deserve that.  However, neither of them has done much for the past two seasons.  Calling them ANW "royalty" is ridiculous.  And putting Kacy in the salmon ladder competition was nonsense.

IMO Meagan, Jessie, Michelle Warmke and possibly Tiana are all better than Kacy.

• Love 1
On 6/1/2016 at 9:49 PM, AZChristian said:

I loved the guy who ran it - and finished - in a pink tutu for his daughter.  Now that's a guy who is comfortable with his manhood.

I loved the shots of his daughter.  She was so thrilled to see her daddy run.

On 6/1/2016 at 10:05 PM, SophiaD said:

I hope Tianna gets a wild card.  She was very impressive.

On 6/4/2016 at 5:04 PM, fivestone said:

I am really liking Tiana. That girl is LEGIT! She probably would have made it up the wall had she not wiped out at the end of the previous obstacle.

5 hours ago, mlp said:

IMO Meagan, Jessie, Michelle Warmke and possibly Tiana are all better than Kacy.

Agreed.  I think she had the right idea about turning on the I-Beam Cross, but tried the dismount just a bit too soon.

Tianna is definitely better than Kacy.  Kacy is the "flag-bearer" for the women only because she was the first, and because of her amazing performance on the rods her first year.

On 6/3/2016 at 0:47 PM, VartanFan said:

I think Graf's mom is going to run (and crush) the course next year!

• Love 2

I think Kacy is in a really bad spot,. She was incredible in early years and got a lot of girls to compete and she should be eternally commended for that.  However like what always happens far more talented people have showed up in later years that would never have shown up if there never was a Kacy.  Which is why I will never speak badly of her.  

• Love 6

I agree with you, Chaos theory.  I just re-watched it, and they cut to Michelle Warnky just as much, if not more, than they did to Kacy, so much so that I was wondering if they were an item.  :)

I think Kacy is just too small and light physiologically to be as competitive as Tianna, Jessie, Michelle, or Meagan, or even Natalie.  The courses simply aren't designed for someone of her size and weight, so she's more likely to fail.  She's still the only woman to have finished a finals course, but I expect one of the others will this year.  

I would love to see Jessie's mother run the course next year.  That was a great segment.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I think Kacy is just too small and light physiologically to be as competitive as Tianna, Jessie, Michelle, or Meagan, or even Natalie.  The courses simply aren't designed for someone of her size and weight, so she's more likely to fail.

This.  Kacy is an amazing athlete, but she's at a huge disadvantage heightwise and sometimes weightwise.  It's not just about reach, but being able to move heavy objects will generally be harder for her, as will getting a good bounce off a tramp.  (Force = mass x acceleration.  To hit a tramp with as much force as ninjas with more mass, Kacy has to have more acceleration in the same space.)

I was amazed at what she managed to do because of her size.  I had no expectations that she would be able to replicate that success because it was mind-boggling to me to begin with.  I wouldn't say she's overrated.  I'd say that looking at how the courses tend to be built, it would be unusual for someone her size to make it through regardless of their skill.

So, less "she's overrated" and more "some people have unrealistic expectations," imo.

• Love 7
On 6/6/2016 at 7:06 PM, simplyme said:

This.  Kacy is an amazing athlete, but she's at a huge disadvantage heightwise and sometimes weightwise.  It's not just about reach, but being able to move heavy objects will generally be harder for her, as will getting a good bounce off a tramp.  (Force = mass x acceleration.  To hit a tramp with as much force as ninjas with more mass, Kacy has to have more acceleration in the same space.)

I was amazed at what she managed to do because of her size.  I had no expectations that she would be able to replicate that success because it was mind-boggling to me to begin with.  I wouldn't say she's overrated.  I'd say that looking at how the courses tend to be built, it would be unusual for someone her size to make it through regardless of their skill.

So, less "she's overrated" and more "some people have unrealistic expectations," imo.

And now she and her boyfriend are in over their head, because they have a business that's dependent on them keeping up the illusion.  It's a shame they're in that spot. 

For the record I've always thought Sam Sann was overrated too, but also in a position where he has to keep showing up or his business will suffer. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Kromm said:

For the record I've always thought Sam Sann was overrated too, but also in a position where he has to keep showing up or his business will suffer. 

I think Sam is awesome, but he's an older competitor.  His body keeps slowing down while they keep making the course tougher.  I think he's quite good at analyzing the obstacles and figuring out the best techniques for them, though, and I can see him being an excellent coach.  I just hope other people realize that.

Sometimes the best teachers aren't the people who are the current absolute best at something, but those who both understand it and are good at sharing the knowledge with people who might learn somewhat differently.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

I think Sam is awesome, but he's an older competitor.  His body keeps slowing down while they keep making the course tougher.  I think he's quite good at analyzing the obstacles and figuring out the best techniques for them, though, and I can see him being an excellent coach.  I just hope other people realize that.

Sometimes the best teachers aren't the people who are the current absolute best at something, but those who both understand it and are good at sharing the knowledge with people who might learn somewhat differently.

But that's kind of my point. Our same two same asshole announcers pump Sam up like he's the next coming of Christ. Same problem as with Kacy. They set him up to look like a failure when he doesn't meet those impossible standards, and he really does have to keep coming back and doing the course anyway, because otherwise it might affect how many people make the haul to train at his gym. The same problem Kacy and Brent have, except their business I believe is actually running obstacle races rather than a gym.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think the only real solution is for Sam (or Brent or Kacy) to "retire" but show up to support their students. It'd be better promotion for Sam's gym to see tons of his students successfully complete the courses, rather than watch him try and fail because he is getting too old for this shit.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kromm said:

And now she and her boyfriend are in over their head, because they have a business that's dependent on them keeping up the illusion.  It's a shame they're in that spot. 

It's no illusion. Brett and Kacy were each the top American ninjas at some point, getting to their respective peaks before anyone else. That their skills may have declined a bit since then or that their competition has stepped up its game doesn't diminish that. They don't have to stay at the front of the pack to keep getting respect, or clients.

Also, this is the first I'd even heard to Team Ninja Warrior. I hate not having a cable package that includes Esquire!

• Love 3

Slightly off topic,  but still concerning Jessie Graff, so I hope it's okay to post here.   I know someone upthread mentioned that she is Supergirl's double.  But I got the Supergirl season 1 DVDs, and the last episode on the second disc has her in a very visible fight scene (as a villian, not stunt doubling anyone). Jessie is one of a bunch of alien villans who break into Lord Technology,  and she fights and breathes poison on one person,  then fights Supergirl's sister,  Alex.

I'll let ya'll know if I spot her again. 

• Love 2