Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: The Good News Is...

Christ on a cracker, that was lame. Cloris, you deserve better. And Kyle Howard, I hope you were paid well.

I did appreciate the scene between the Lawson men. Glad Eddie had an honest moment. And Evan not seeing their Mother... when my grandfather was dying, I saw him at the end and my brother didn't. To this day, I wish I hadn't seen that and my brother wishes he had been there. No way to win.

Hope Hank holds onto that revelation. The matchmaking has felt forced all through the series. Relieved they might pivot and subvert the anvils.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ladies and gentleman, the part of the salty old Broadway babe, usually performed by the late Elaine Stritch, will now be played by . . . Ms. . . Cloris Leachman!

Oh, Hank.  For one brief, shiny moment, you got it.  SO close.  You were th-i-i-i-s close.  Tell Jill we all said hi.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed it, starting with the return of the opening credits. I was especially happy to see the returning former patients thank Hank for what he's done (although lyrically it was pretty clunky, and probably read better on paper.) I was glad to see Jeremiah relatively relaxed and happy while attending the wedding with his new girlfriend. Evan and Paige discovering they're with child was expected, but nice. Eddie's always been a very frustrating character to me, but it was good to see Evan and Hank make the effort to clear the air with him, and with each other - and to have Eddie and Ms. Newburg finally tie the knot. Finally, I though Cloris did a wonderful job with the role she was given, and was happy to hear her tell Hank that going it alone doesn't necessarily mean being lonely. I've still got a bit of hope that they won't feel the need to give Hank an insta-soulmate in the finale.

IMHO, it was a terrific penultimate episode for the series.

• Love 5

Glad we don't have to suffer through any more "Hank tries to find true love" stuff (I hope). Seems pretty obvious they will end with an X Years Later epilogue of some sort, which is probably for the best. Not like there's going to be a Royal Pains reunion movie in 10 years, unless the world goes utterly insane.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it, starting with the return of the opening credits.

I too really enjoyed it. The premise was fun and silly and, most surprisingly, pretty well done. Who knew that Reshma Shetty and Brooke D'Orsay can really sing and move. it was fun seeing Warden Norton and Keller and even Van Dyke shimmying to the music. I was half expecting Patty LuPone to be the Broadway diva since she is starring in a play in Chicago (and headed to NY) with Christine Ebersol, but no luck. I was also half expecting Hank's plus one to show up in the form of Shelby, aka Laura Benanti, since then we would have had some real Broadway firepower. Kinda missed Boris trying to sing and dance along!

Nothing happened, but at least I remember it the next morning, unlike the last several weeks.

It was fun, light, entertainment with beautiful scenery, but......

IMHO, it was a terrific penultimate episode for the series.

on this one I have to disagree. I think that they needed to move several storylines forward and they will have to squeeze a lot into that last hour. If it had been a few episodes from the end it would have been better.

Never been a Cloris Leachman fan, except as Frau Bluucher. (Que the horse sound)

• Love 3

My lord, that was painful. I was happy to see the opening credits come back (I'd been missing that terrible song, oddly enough), but the rest I almost had to watch peeking through my fingers.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love musicals so liked this episode. I was surprised at how nice everyone sounded, and it's great to see Jeremiah happy.

Finally an episode that didn't have Eddie being a douche bag.

I'm wondering why the patient didn't have an MRI once Hank found out she was having hallucinations. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/30/2016 at 3:07 PM, twoods said:

I love musicals so liked this episode. I was surprised at how nice everyone sounded, and it's great to see Jeremiah happy.

Finally an episode that didn't have Eddie being a douche bag.

I'm wondering why the patient didn't have an MRI once Hank found out she was having hallucinations. 

Hank said he was going to order one, but that she could still go to the wedding.

I guess some if those people singing at the rehearsal dinner were past patients I can't remember? If they were going to o that, I wish they'd brought back that teenager from the first couple of season. I can't remember his name, but he was around a lot. Had a blood issue and a serious girlfriend, the just stopped showing up.

I guess next week Hank leaves the Hamptons to find Jill?

Edited by KaveDweller
I can't type on my phone
  • Love 2

Why was Paige painting and standing on stones wearing heels?

I didn't understand how Evan and Paige were going to find out the next day if she were pregnant and then she finds out at the wedding. Had she gone to the doctor's office earlier that day?

Why in the world would Hank tell someone she might have Alzheimer's at a party? 

How many parties were there?

It was kind of cute to have the whole episode come out of Cloris Leachman's hallucinations about numbers.

Even the non-singers carried a tune nicely and all moved fairly well. I guess age is creeping up on ol' Cloris. A few years ago, she'd have been a lot more mobile than she was in this episode. 

(edited)

I guess some if those people singing at the rehearsal dinner were past patients I can't remember? If they were going to o that, I wish they'd brought back that teenager from the first couple of seasond. I can't remember his name, but he was around a kit. Had a blood issue and a serious girlfriend, the just stopped showing up.

Tucker!!  Whose dad was Andrew McCarthy.  And he had a crazy awesome girlfriend.  I miss them.

Why in the world would Hank tell someone she might have Alzheimer's at a party? 

This is the same guy who last week told the house woman he thought she had syphillis BEFORE the tests had come back.  One of those "pause the DVR and tell hubby that is not a diagnosis you ever give someone as a hunch" moments.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Why was Paige painting and standing on stones wearing heels?

I didn't understand how Evan and Paige were going to find out the next day if she were pregnant and then she finds out at the wedding. Had she gone to the doctor's office earlier that day?

I think they went the day before to the doctor and got the blood results the following day- usually HCG blood tests have a 24 hour turnover time. Glad that they are finally pregnant. 

Next week's previews sort of had me teary eyed. Even though this show has dropped on quality the last few years, I still used to love it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mojito said:

It was kind of cute to have the whole episode come out of Cloris Leachman's hallucinations about numbers.

Even the non-singers carried a tune nicely and all moved fairly well. I guess age is creeping up on ol' Cloris. A few years ago, she'd have been a lot more mobile than she was in this episode. 

I thought everyone did very well and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the songs.

As for Cloris Leachman, the woman is 90 years old. I think she did great and hope to be as in good shape, physically and mentally, when I'm 90.

22 hours ago, shelwood said:

Glad we don't have to suffer through any more "Hank tries to find true love" stuff (I hope). Seems pretty obvious they will end with an X Years Later epilogue of some sort, which is probably for the best. Not like there's going to be a Royal Pains reunion movie in 10 years, unless the world goes utterly insane.

I'm hoping they do a time jump and show where everyone is 10, 15 years from now. I love when finales do that.

(edited)

In situations such as this (when one wants to comment on something odd, but doesn't want to be rude), I find a quote from Back to the Future to be most helpful: Well. Marty. That was very interesting music...

One thing I didn't get was, if the musical numbers were all in Chloris Leachman's character's head, how did Hank and Evan have a duet when her character wasn't present?

Reshma Shetty does have a lovely voice--IIRC, she studied opera, so I'm glad we had a chance to hear her sing before the show ends. As for the boys (Mark, Pablo, and Ben)? Well bless their hearts, they sure tried hard ;)

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1

Good thing I DVR'd this episode. Watched it in 10 minutes as it was so bad, I fast forwarded most of it. The only characters that are even mildly interesting anymore are Jeremiah and Boris.  Show is ready to end and I hope the final episode won't be as horrible as this one.

• Love 2

One thing I didn't get was, if the musical numbers were all in Chloris Leachman's character's head, how did Hank and Evan have a duet when her character wasn't present?

Oh, there you go trying to make sense out of this episode, or this show for that matter. But, it was a great catch-didn't think about that.

I'm hoping they do a time jump and show where everyone is 10, 15 years from now. I love when finales do that

That would be nice, if for no other reason than it would keep them from wanting to do a reunion show-this show has more than run its course, altho I could follow the adventures of Boris for awhile, especially if he gets to pick on/put down Evan a lot.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lovecat said:

That stuck out to me, too. My handwave is she was present from a distance. It looked as if she could have seen them on the beach arguing from the house. How she could hear well enough from that distance to know what the scene was about, however...can't help there.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lovecat said:

She was there sitting quietly in a dark corner. When they walked back in Hank and Evan finally noticed her. She said that she didn't make a habit of breaking  and entering. So she was there the whole time but neither Hank or Evan knew it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Desperately Random said:

She was there sitting quietly in a dark corner. When they walked back in Hank and Evan finally noticed her. She said that she didn't make a habit of breaking  and entering. So she was there the whole time but neither Hank or Evan knew it.

And, since it was a hallucination, it didn't really happen and they weren't on the beach at all necessarily.

I actually loved it... I still like this light and fluffy show and USA seems to be replacing it with some serious shit which holds absolutely zero interest to me.  Sure there were weak points in the voicing, but I loved it all anyway.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

And, since it was a hallucination, it didn't really happen and they weren't on the beach at all necessarily.

I actually loved it... I still like this light and fluffy show and USA seems to be replacing it with some serious shit which holds absolutely zero interest to me.  Sure there were weak points in the voicing, but I loved it all anyway.   

I loved it too. It was better than I thought it would be and was a fun and enjoyable episode. I thought the women all had good voices and the men did alright. I liked the "I'm done" duet so they couldn't have been too bad. Just sorry we didn't get to hear Boris sing too!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Desperately Random said:

As for Cloris Leachman, the woman is 90 years old. I think she did great and hope to be as in good shape, physically and mentally, when I'm 90.

Cloris was just in "Raising Hope" a few years ago and she seemed considerably slowed down in this episode. She's the type of person to break out into dance....if she can. Hey wait, wasn't she on "Dancing With the Stars" not too long ago? Everyone ages. It's tough seeing the oldest of our entertainers when they get in their 80s and above. I will always think of her as she was as Phyllis Lindstrom. 

I thought the episode was great & have several times and it keeps getting better. I dont think it was a waste of time at all. We got as much character & plot progression as we would have in a normal ep. i loved the scrubs musical ep & I loved this one. What I'm really enjoying is how the musical numbers feel very Royal Pains with the blocking and scene transitions. That's really hard and I think they did it really really well. 

• Love 4

I liked it, but I generally like musicals. I thought it was fun and I loved hearing how well the ladies could sing. I mean, Reshma Shetty - wow. There's no way it could be as good as the Scrubs musical. That one I've watched more times than I can count. But I enjoyed this.

• Love 2

Other than Reshma's lullaby at the beginning, which was gorgeous, hubby was horrified to hear singing and fast forwarded through all the dance numbers.  My favorite part was Evan's reaction to Paige's news.  The way he wanted to keep it quiet and then turned and screamed the news to his brother was perfectly in character as well as adorable.  I know they are fictional, but I am so happy for them.

I thought Evan's toast was good.  Not a flat out forgiveness, but a thawing and hope for the future.  Eddie drives me insane so I don't really care about his happy ending.  Where was Emma?

• Love 2
(edited)

What the shit is this?

I would have liked an actual scene with Hank and Evan talking about their issues than singing and running around on the beach. I never thought Hank really gave Evan credit for building HankMed.

I don't mind the revisiting of the patients. I liked how Hank was more talky than singy because no. You can't sing. Sorry. I'm not even that bad. I mean, he has done a ton of good.

I think this might have been better to kick off the last season rather than the second to last episode. 

I generally think weddings are kind of stupid anyway and kind of lends to lazy writing. 

That was a good toast though. And the general was there!

Not even remotely *nearly* enough Jeremiah.

The running gag about the numerous Nuberg weddings was funny.

For as long as this series has been on, I have no idea why TPTBs think Hank needs a gf/wife. I never got that the actor was playing it that way. Hank is a guy that likes to work. I don't think that's bad. 

I'm wondering if there needed to be this season because I feel like I've been ready for this show to end for a while.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

Wow, that was painful.  Finally had a chance to watch this weekend, and I was alternating between cringing and laughing at the musical numbers.  Honestly, if the series finale wasn't this week, I'd probably stop watching, it was that bad an idea for an episode.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode way more then I thought I would.  Usually these "special musical episodes" bug me, but this felt OK.

Really, I got caught up WAY more in how silly I thought it was that this second wedding was so very different then the first one where Eddie bailed.  And why hadn't Cloris been there for that first one, if being at all of Mrs. Newberg's weddings was that important to her?!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm watching on Netflix, which affords me the privilege of being able to stop a show should the action on screen act as an emetic.   Case in point, Hank and Evan singing on the beach.

I paused the show but don't know if I have the fortitude to start it up again and make it to the finish.   Yet I can't help but wonder:  Will Boris sing, ya?

Divya has a good voice and now I want to see her in a Bollywood spectacle.   Paige, not so shabby either.   One thing about musical episodes, they show just how much talent the actors have, how many different skills, but how little we are permitted to see given the nature and format of shows like this.

I wish they had restricted the song and dance to the opening segment, then resumed normalcy after the theme song.   That would have been a fun flourish.   But they didn't, so here I am, ten or twelve minutes in, debating whether to continue.  

Not a good position to find oneself in considering it's the next to last show.

One thing I will miss about this show is the flawlessness.   The lawns are perfect, the houses are perfect, the home interiors are perfect, the clothes are perfect, the haircuts are perfect, the weather is perfect ... the waves on the beach are fucking perfect.   A nice getaway from my decidedly imperfect life.

Edited by millennium
11 hours ago, ganesh said:

MAKE IT STAHP!

It was bad, and more.

I did go back (Boris didn't sing, ya).  Turned out to be the right choice because the patients' number was so over the top that it was great.   Despite being a wince-worthy episode overall, clearly a great deal of work went into the making of it and you have to respect that.

I wondered if that will prove to be Cloris Leachman's final role.   I marveled while watching her thinking, this woman was the original mother on Lassie!   Again, must respect.

One episode left.   I hope Hank ends up with Jill, but at the same time don't want him to leave the fictional Hamptons.